Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - you'll never settle any of your scores;

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Asterion

He tries not to remember the last time he’d walked these halls, the corridors down to the infirmary that seemed to echo and sigh no matter how busy they were. When he had been here to see Aislinn (a lifetime ago, he feels; so much has changed) the rooms had been empty save for her - now they were too full, occupied by horses from Denocte and Terrastella both. Almost it looked like there had been a war. 

The subject of his visit is not hard to find. Even asleep (as he finds her), even among horses of a hundred colors, even ill, she is luminous - pale as a morning-glory, the curves of her belying the strength he knows she carries.

Asterion had heard how she’d collapsed in the markets; he thinks back to how he’d last seen her in Dusk, covered in blood and mud both, working ceaselessly to save their people. 

He does not know if Vespera has seen - if she has watched any of what her court has suffered (or indeed, if she had been the cause of any of it). But the king had seen. 

“Oh, Theodosia, I am so sorry." His voice is soft, gentle as sea-foam, too low to carry to those around them. He watches the rise and fall of her chest, the flutter of her lashes pale as frost on her cheek. “Thank you for everything you gave.” 

She had not deserved this - none of them had. And he feels sorrow and anger both warring in him like rival tides, and wonders what is still to come. 

@Theodosia 

if you'll be my star*

Played by Offline bruiser [PM] Posts: 99 — Threads: 13
Signos: 1,000
Inactive Character

The slumber she has fallen into holds her tightly, drags her head beneath the streams of her own consciousness and watches her drown in fevered half-memories — it takes her back to Caeleste, to the howling winds of Shishira she had first learned how to fly in, to the disappointment in her sperm-donor’s eyes every time he had looked upon his mortal daughter. Once, she had been born of snow and ice, of the storms that beat upon Dead Horse Ridge with fury — her blood had been half ichor, bleeding red-gold in the sunlight.

Now, her mortal divinity fought a war within her body, drew shuddering breaths through her lips and forced her heart to continue pumping sluggishly — it struggled against the chains that Novus had bound it with when she had crossed the borders. She dreams of Shishira, in the grey areas between asleep and awake -- she dreams of Dead Horse Ridge and the Manor in which she spent the first few months of her life, of the god-like family she has left behind and scorned. In her mind, she can picture Shishira’s shrine despite never having visited, the hollow cave that bore howling winds and a cruel temperament that matched the God it was devoted to, and even in sleep her eyelids flutter and her heart races at the mere thought of returning to what had never truly been her home.

My child-- The voice echoes in her subconscious, a strange warmth swirling into the memories and melting away the snow and the wicked winds of her memories, the shrine of Shishira morphing into the statue of Vespera that she had prayed to when she had first come to Novus. The statue is still, but there is gleam in the stone eyes, a golden glow that seemed to fill the entire area -- and yet, everything is hazy as though obscured by a fog, some bone-deep recognition that this is not her waking mind.

You promised me your services, Theodosia, when you first came here -- and when the time came, you did not hesitate to keep your word. The statue speaks to her upon the peaks of Ruris, with soft moss beneath her feet and sunshine upon her wings, in a place untouched by time or weather. Your reasons for leaving your home are your own -- as is the magic you brought with you, that has lain untouched within you since arriving here.

The statue glows for another few seconds before the vision abruptly goes black, a roaring in her ears that drowns out all rational thought, and she is left with the sense of a growing storm within her.

She awakes with a choking gasp, her pale eyes fluttering open and landing upon the King at her beside. 

“......Sir?”

"Speaking."
credits

@Asterion 
Vespera is a fever-dream, and it is unclear whether or not she actually spoke to Theodosia in her dream or whether that was what her fevered mind came up with ;D

she wasn't looking for a knight,
she was looking for a sword.

Asterion

He watches another battle being fought behind her eyelids, watches her lashes flutter and her skin twitch. For a moment Asterion wonders if he ought to wake her, but he pushes down the impulse. It is not for him to try and save her from what might be passing through her sleeping mind; besides, he knows the warrior needs her rest.

It feels strange to keep his gaze on her like this, like a breach of the relationship between them, and eventually Asterion turns away. His gaze wanders the room, all the other wounded and sick, and he wonders how long, and how much more, and how high the cost will be in the end. Not to mention the scars that would inevitably follow such a thing.

Her gasp pulls him from his thoughts, and the bay stallion turns at once, his heartbeat skipping into a faster, fearful thing. But it eases at once when she speaks, and though there is still a furrow in his brow the look in his eyes is only relief.

“Asterion is fine,” he says, wry and not quite smiling, though he imagines this is not the last time she will call him sir. “How do you feel?”

@Theodosia 

if you'll be my star*

Inactive Character

When she breathes out, there is no longer a tell-tale rattle in her chest, no catch to her sigh, and the healer in the corner of the room bustles forward at the first indication of awakening to confirm these things. “Now hold still, dear,” The healer murmurs, holding an ear to the pegasus’ chest with an amplifying device, nodding and making a soft ‘tsk’ noise with her tongue when she’s done before turning towards the king. “She is to be on light duty only for the next two weeks, please, to allow for her to recover.” The healer, a young palomino mare, then turned her attention back to the pale pegasus. “We’ll give you some herbs to make sure the cough doesn’t come back. You must eat them twice a day, with breakfast and with dinner.”

Her instructions complete, the mare bustled out of the room to attend to other patients, and the young Halcyon cadet is left with only the King in the room. “Si-- Asterion,” She corrects, a small smile on the corner of her lips, hefting herself up from the bed so she wasn’t so prone before him. Her hair was a bedraggled mess, her feathers pointing every which way, but at least standing didn’t feel quite so…. vulnerable.

“I’m… okay,” She answers, carefully, stretching out each wing and sighing in relief at how the tightness in her chest has disappeared, although as she proceeds to stretch out her front legs she takes note of several scabs and a deep soreness in her knees. “What…. What happened?” The last she remembered, she had been talking to the Commander in the courtyard, and then everything had gone black.

"Speaking."
credits

@Asterion

Asterion

The king is relieved when the healer bustles forward; having idle hands has always made him uncomfortable, but never more so than when he knows there is work to be done, but doesn’t trust himself to do it. He watches with both interest and concern creasing his star-marked brow as the healer completes her check. When the palomino mare straightens he nods, thanks her, and tries not to wonder if she had been the same mare to take care of Aislinn that rain-drenched night more than a year ago.

As the healer leaves his gaze returns to Theo, and a smile twitches at the corner of his dark mouth when she corrects herself before at last naming him. Somehow even when she says his name and not a title it still feels like a version of himself he doesn’t know.

He might have cautioned her not to stand, but he knows too many mares - Marisol, Flora, Moira, Calliope - who would only laugh at him or worse for his worrying. And so Asterion only steps back, giving her room, noting how the muscles and tendons of her legs and wings work. Strange, how much he has learned of the limits of a body in the last few months - but he is thankful that Theo is not gravely injured as well as sick.

“Under the circumstances, okay isn’t bad,” he says wryly, and that smile still lingers. He, too, wants to sigh in relief when she stretches her wings; the memory of Flora’s and Moria’s and Aislinn’s, all mangled and broken and torn, clings to him more surely than his shadow. What Marisol had told him about flying begins to make more sense.

His smile disappears like a retreating wave when she asks what happened, and he shrugs one lean shoulder, his dark gaze still on her. “I only know what Marisol told me and what the nurses have said,” he says. “You were walking with the Commander when you collapsed - luckily not far from here. She helped bring you in, but you lost consciousness soon after. Pneumonia, they said, and exhaustion.”

For a moment he considers her still, and there is something like pride that lives with the worry in his eyes. And then he shakes his head like he might at any of his friends when they took on too much. “It’s a wonder it didn’t happen sooner, as hard as you were working. We all owe you thanks. I trust I don’t have to set the Commander after you to make sure you follow the healer’s orders?” Here his smile returns, a boyish grin, the kind normally kept back by the weight of his responsibilities. “I wish I could say there won’t be more work waiting when you’re well.” There is more he wants to say, another question that waits just behind his teeth - but it can hold until she is at least a few more moments out of unconsciousness.

@Theodosia congrats he has possibly spoken more here than in any other single post xD

if you'll be my star*

Inactive Character

She stretches out her wings with careful consideration for the sore muscles there, the ones that have been protesting since this entire trainwreck had begun, and for that she hates Vespera just the smallest bit more. They had suffered and strained themselves for a Goddess who had only wished to test them, had lost their Court and had to seek refuge in a foreign land, and all of it burned terribly at her pride and her sense of justice. She thinks of how Virun had been swept away by the floodwaters despite their best efforts, of the children she’d rescued from sinkholes and the ones she hadn’t made it in time, of their Court now shattered by the Goddess who claimed to love them, and she knows Terrastella will heal from this --

And Vespera will not, not when so many of her most loyal had witnessed her games.

“O--Oh, is all she can respond as brief memories flit through her head of that night, of her knees hitting the cobblestone and her tongue running loose , her filter apparently obliterated with the fever that had gripped her, and she can only hope that Marisol will not think less of her for her weakness in both heart and body. Yet, as she stretches, there is a new strength behind her movements, one she feels down to her very core, and it’s a realization that sends her stomach dropping and a strange spark of lightning arcing from one wing to the other, just narrowly avoiding her in between.

“I’m going to find Vespera, and I’m going to kill her,” She grits out between clenched teeth, her realization of her restored demi-god status not exactly joyful -- it’s a reminder of her past, of her lingering connection to her sperm donor, and even as she speaks more little arcs of lightnings are crackling out from her wings, influenced by her emotions, and dissipating into the air around her.

Of course.

Of-fucking-course this is what that thrice-damned dream had meant before she had awoken, it had been Vespera adding just another boulder to the shit mountain she’d already served up.

credits

@Asterion

Asterion

He had doused her with information, more than he was usually coaxed to speak even in a meeting, even with Florentine (perhaps especially with his sister, who so often had words enough for the both of them). And so her brief faltering is no surprise, and Asterion still stands patiently, letting her absorb the information as his dark-eyed gaze wanders the room.

It is what she says next, the conviction clear in her voice, that has him startled and turning. The bay’s ears prick forward, and he catches just the briefest arc of lightning before her wings. It might only have been a spark from friction -

but Asterion has known Calliope too long to know nothing of lightning-magic.

“Oh,” it is his turn to say, and though his brows rise there is a glint in the depths of his gaze, as though he has half a mind to ask if he could join her. “I am not sure, as sovereign of her court, that I can condone that…” He trails off, voice gone soft again, but the smile he wears is boyishly curved. There is an ache beneath it, too, one he knows will live with him until Terrastella no longer bears the scars of the previous year, but the king is heartened by her fire.

It is what finally gives him the push to ask the question that’s been waiting just behind his teeth. Clearly her sickness would slow Theodosia down no more than the flooding had. “If you might put off your vengeance for a while, I wanted to ask you something.” He pauses for a beat, holding the lavender of her eyes, and for a moment they are not a bruised king and a bedridden warrior in a hospital far from home. “We have been absent a Champion of Battle - but this is not a time to be without. We need courage, and strength, and duty. Theodosia - would you act as Dusk’s champion?”

@Theodosia

if you'll be my star*

Inactive Character

She stands, bolstered by rage -- had Vespera been within sight, she might have smote her then and there, or at least had gone down swinging. Her rage is a living creature within her chest, born of the devastation of Terrastella, and with every time her teeth grind together another spark of lightning ripples across her wings and dissipates into the room.

“I am not sure, as sovereign of her court, that I can condone that…”

She has never lacked for conviction -- her words were a promise she would see through, in one way or another. Even the Gods had a weakness, and she would find Vespera’s, and make her suffer like she had made her people suffer. Her smile is a promise when she turns her gaze back towards Asterion, the lightning slowly tapering off until it is once again only the two of them within the room.

“We have been absent a Champion of Battle - but this is not a time to be without. We need courage, and strength, and duty. Theodosia - would you act as Dusk’s champion?”

She had never expected the question to come from the boy-king, had never considered that she might be eligible for such a role, would have expected it to be gifted to her Commander or any of the more experienced Halcyon cadets  -- but she knows her answer almost immediately, her head bowing until it nearly touches her chest. “I would be honored to be named such, and to serve Terrastella in all of my capacity.”

credits

@Asterion this is awful but here's theo's official answer!

Asterion

He is not sure why her smile makes him feel both pride and profound sadness, the way it is almost like a vow. Even now, even after being driven from their home with the dead still decaying in the mud or swept out to sea in the raging floods - even after the disastrous betrayal of the Summit - he is not ready to declare war on Terrastella’s patron god. He has always lacked Calliope’s conviction; it seems he lacks Theodosia’s, too.

But he will not caution her against it, not when she has given as much or more than any of them. And it is not only the lightning arcing between her stormcloud-pale wings that keeps him from doing so.

Though he still wears a smile when she bows there is nothing boyish about it, now; it is serious, knowing with the weight of what he asks. Not so long ago, he could only have guessed at what such duty felt like, a cloak with pockets full of stones; now he knows better. They are not children playing at knights. Asterion accepts her words in silence, and then dips his own muzzle in acknowledgement.

“Then on behalf of Terrastella I thank you. When you are well, you will spar Israfel - and when we are home I will announce it to the court.” The bay tilts his head a little, then, and something almost rakish enters his expression. “Do work on getting well,” he says, already knowing she will press to be back in service as soon as she is able; so many of his court are alike in that way.

And then he is turning to leave, though he hesitates for a moment and reaches out on impulse to touch his muzzle to her shoulder, brief as the brush of a butterfly. He is prepared for the spark that jumps from her skin to his nose, and when he leaves it is with a grin.

@Theodosia yay!

if you'll be my star*