Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - of cloudless climes and starry skies

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

Somnus

There was something about this pale maiden that captivated Somnus’ interest and chased away his previous lethargy, pulling him from the final dredges of exhaustion and into keen awareness. What was it? How positively peculiar. Very few had the honor to say they had so instantly piqued his curiosity before. Perhaps it was the familiar spark in her eyes, bright and insatiable with a passionate desire to learn, to educate oneself on the vast workings of the world? The yearning for a deeper understanding? It was hard to say, but he was never one to be presumptuous, and certainly wouldn’t start now.

Instead, he allowed himself to simply fall into step with her, continuing his sidelong scrutiny before his knowing verdant gaze drifted forward to the dark mortar hall ahead. She was a pretty thing, all nimble pale alabaster mottled with rich, creamy speckles. Her vocals were melodious to his ears, a welcome reprieve from the grumbling lilt of his own voice when musing aloud, and her tone was that of an accomplished scholar. The words that left her pale lips, however, only solidified that fact. Unbidden the regent smiled, dark lips turning upwards as his keen emerald eyes slid once more to focus on her.

“I can assure you that you are not the only one storming these halls so brazenly, ma’am,” he stated with a hearty chuckle, unable to help it, “So worry not, mm? Those who call Delumine home are welcome at any time within these walls.” But then, she was going on, rambling in a way that Somnus welcomed, that pleased him, his heart warming to hear her eagerness and adoration. It was nice, sharing his space and mind with someone else who held knowledge so dear. It wasn’t often that his intellectual mind could be properly stimulated, and already, perhaps foolishly, he could already see he and this young scholar engaging in many debates of knowledge and learning. Would that she be willing to indulge him. “Our library is one of great pride, as well as one of our greatest treasures. I loathe to say the words, but those in other courts call us foolish for it.” And a pox on the lot of them.

Introductions were had, and the Delumine second learned her name. Messalina. He filed her name away, memorizing her face and her voice just as he did with every new individual he crossed paths with. Her reverence humbled him, but Somnus was never one to handle such focus. “I am,” the golden tactician stated warmly, eyes dancing as they continued their leisurely trek through the hallways. Somnus took the lead upon a fork, turning right, knowing that just a little ways up ahead and up a flight of steps they would find the famed library. “But, please, I am hardly anything special. Just a man, really.”

His gaze found Messalina’s icy, vibrant blue, and the warmth in his accented vocals remained. “Come now, Messalina, the honor is truly mine. I assure you. But I appreciate your kindness all the same.”

From there, Somnus grew quiet and allowed his thoughts to drift, mulling over his schedule for the day. He would be busy come the true daybreak, between meeting with Kasil, Ipomoea, Ulric, and the others, but for now, he did not mind Messalina’s intriguing company. In fact, it was more than welcome. Through the hallways they went until arriving at the library, and the regent pushed open the doors without preamble. The scent of ancient tomes and old books permeated the air, wrapping around him like the caress of a familiar lover, and with a deep breath Somnus stepped inside, trusting that Messalina would follow. All around them rows upon rows of books were orderly stored, the shelves all tall and filled to the brim. It was a grand library, full of the deepest knowledge of Novus. Somnus liked to think that if there was a question, the answer was here, in their precious library.

Turning his head back to regard Messalina, he nodded.  “Here we are.”

@Messalina – I’m the worst and I’m so sorry that this took me forever and a day to respond to. ;-;

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Messages In This Thread
of cloudless climes and starry skies - by Messalina - 01-02-2018, 03:12 AM
RE: of cloudless climes and starry skies - by Messalina - 01-04-2018, 07:09 PM
RE: of cloudless climes and starry skies - by Somnus - 02-08-2018, 05:35 AM