Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Fight: Judged  - .. I like it rough ..

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 2 — Threads: 0
Signos: 3,311

Rostislav vs Acton

@Rostislav - Total: 81/100

• Attacks 46/55

• 26/30 -- Based on creativity of your offense (originality, imagination, and attention to detail).
      • 1st post: Introductory post. No attack to judge. (This does not count against your score.)
      • 2nd post: I felt like Rostislav’s attack of a bite here is very basic and forward, and very realistic with squabbling horses. On one hand I feel like maybe he could have attempted to grab somewhere more tender than the withers, but then again, this is only a spar and not a true battle. Overall quite simple and easy to read, and I while I quite like the subtle hints of his magic, I feel as though it could have been described in better detail, as I had to re-read it a few times to understand his magic was actually manifesting itself and that it wasn’t just Rosti’s bulk affecting the ground beneath him. However, overall I really enjoy his attention to detail in regards to the little things surrounding them, as well as his overall thought process!
      • 3rd post: I was a little confused as to why Rosti suddenly thought what it would be like if the ground suddenly swallowed them up? I feel as though the thought was somewhat random, and with as seasoned a warrior as Rostislav is supposed to be, it was a bit uncharacteristic. As for the attack itself, I absolutely love it! I love that his magic has returned to him, and I think that’s a very creative route to take! I would have liked to see more direction or purpose with his attack, however; where was he aiming? Was Rosti just throwing the rock and dirt and hoping to hit Acton? Or was he aiming anywhere specific?

• 20/25 -- Based on realism of your offense (mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your Health and Attack)
      • 1st post: Introductory post. No attack to judge. (This does not count against your score.)
      • 2nd post: As stated above, this was a realistic move to make; fighting horses bite each other all the time. I would have liked to see a better use of direction, such as where or what part of his wither was Rosti aiming for? Nothing else major to say here that hasn’t already been said, other than I also like how you took the pain from Rosti’s leg into consideration when he returned with his own attack.
      • 3rd post: The mechanics used for Rosti’s attack was very true, I felt like. This magic is obviously familiar to him, yet new, and I really liked how Damaris was confused by it. His boost of confidence was a nice touch as well, and other than the points I touched on above, I felt like this was a really nice touch to the battle! And, as someone who’s known Rosti for so many years, I’m glad to see him settling back into his element.

• Blocks 25/30

• 13/15 -- Based on creativity of your defense (originality, imagination, and attention to detail)
      • 1st post: Introductory post. No blocks to judge. (This does not count against your score.)
      • 2nd post: No official blocks used.  I felt as though Rosti’s reactions at Acton’s attack were pretty spot-on and true to his character. I love the fact that he chastised himself for ‘shooting the breeze’; it brought some good humor to the situation and really let us get into his head during this spar!
      • 3rd post: Rearing might not be the best choice when being kicked at, as it does open up more vulnerable positions. However I can completely see why he would in an attempt to get away from Acton’s kick, to protect his head and neck area. Due to his size I don’t think he would have been able to really ‘get out of the way’, so I’m glad that you had him receive some kind of injury to accurately reflect that.

• 12/15 -- Based on realism of your defense (mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your Health and Attack)
      • 1st post: Introductory post. No blocks to judge. (This does not count against your score.)
      • 2nd post: No official blocks used. As stated above, I feel as though Rosti taking the attack was pretty realistic. A sneak attack like that wouldn’t let someone of his size suddenly leap out of the way, after all, but I do wish I had seen a bit more direction. I didn’t realize until further in your post which leg had been struck by the blow. Other than that I felt as though Rosti’s actions and reactions accurately displayed his overall stats!
      • 3rd post: As I touched on above, I feel as though rearing wasn’t really realistic, as with his size and reaction time I don’t feel as though Rosti would have had enough time to really rear up. Perhaps attempting to turn away from the attack as a whole might have been a better alternative, or using his armor to help deflect the initial impact? Other than that I really liked how Rosti took into account his larger size and touched on how he could use that to his advantage.

• Writing Metrics 10/15

• 3/5 -- Based on overall writing creativity (originality, imagination, and attention to detail)
      • 1st post: I really like the feeling that I get from Rostislav in this first post. I can feel his regret for being an inactive part of his Court, and I can definitely feel his desire and determination to make up for that. Overall I feel like this post is pretty cut-and-dry. I would have liked to have seen a few more uses of direction, such as ‘left side’ or ‘right side’, or even ‘north, south, etc’ to get a better feel where Rostislav is facing or standing, as well as mention in his post that he’s wearing his armor for the fight.
      • 2nd post: I really loved the creative feel I got in this post! Rosti’s always been a joy to read, and I love how we see both his mentality as a ‘man’ and as a ‘warden’. The bit about shooting the breeze still gets me, and I love how it adds a bit of humor into the spar, like I said above. I feel as though you have a good balance of creativity with realism on how he acts and responds in this thread, and it made for a good, simple read.
      • 3rd post: I really, really like how Rosti took into account that his strength was just that; the strength of his general size. It’s always a plus when I read characters taking notice of their physical attributes and comparing them to their opponent, and this was a nice touch I hadn’t really noticed until here. I would have definitely liked to see him make more references to the armor that he was wearing as well as find a way to use it to his defensive advantage, because I honestly kept forgetting that he was actually wearing it! Using a battle to help Rosti rediscover his magic is also a really fun and creative idea, and I’m super stoked that you took this opportunity to do it here. Overall, this post, and this thread with him was an absolute treat to read!

• 3/5 -- Based on overall realism (physical mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your Health, Attack, Magic Level, and Bonded)
      • 1st post: No physical mechanics to judge in this post. (This does not count against your score.)
      • 2nd post: Very realistic and true to Rosti’s character, which is a big win for me. I felt as though your post accurately displayed his general stats, and I really liked Damaris’ actions and reactions with Acton’s attack, and then Rosti’s own. The little hint to his magic was a nice touch as well, but like I said above, I think it could have been explained a little better, even though I do like the bit about ‘maybe an outside source would notice a bit better?’
      • 3rd post: Right out of the bat I felt as though Rosti’s reflection on the taste of Acton’s blood was a bit much; a bite would leave him mostly with the taste of fur and skin, and from how it was written made me think that there was much more blood than what was realistic. I really liked Damaris’ inclusion even though she didn’t participate in the actual fight, and her little moments really were unique to read.

• 4/5 -- Based on writing metrics (spelling, grammar, punctuation, run-on sentences, etc)
      • 1st post: Not too much overall, just a few spelling errors but nothing that took away from your writing. There was one sentence that I had to stop and re-read; “The first pair: myself, a commander volunteering for duty, and Acton, a more or less unknown quantity.” The bit about Acton confused me, and took me a few attempts to understand. I feel as though he could have been described more clearly. Despite that, this post was overall very clean and pleasant to read.
      • 2nd post: Easy to read with minimal spelling errors, and pleasant to read. Nothing really to note or point out other than once again, use of direction; left, right, etc.
      • 3rd post: Nothing really to note here! Easy to read and very forward.

@Acton - Total: 80/100

• Attacks 47/55

• 26/30 -- Based on creativity of your offense (originality, imagination, and attention to detail).
      • 1st post: I really liked that Acton cut straight to the chase and wasted no time in getting things started. He did so in a way that remained true to his character, and I really like that. I do wish that I could have seen more detail from him, such as the direction of his approach. I can only assume that it was head-on, given that his attack was with his front hooves directed at Rosti’s own.
      • 2nd post: Once again Acton is here for business, and I like that he clearly expresses that. In a way this is a game to him, or another performance. I really enjoy the continuity of how he stays in character despite being somewhat out of his element! The attack itself I feel was pretty basic, but I really enjoy how it was done; putting distance between himself and Rosti is a good idea, and I really like the added flare of having him kick dirt and dust back at Rosti. I’d like to have seen a few more observations of their size differences and how Acton would use those to his advantage, but this was a nice post to read.
      • 3rd post: No official attack to judge. (This does not count against your score)

• 21/25 -- Based on realism of your offense (mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your Health and Attack)
      • 1st post: I found that Acton’s first attack was very cut-and-dry, very no-nonsense, and very true to his character, like I mentioned before. I really liked how he braced himself upon his hind legs, as horses will do when locked in combat. Once again, however, I would like a bit more direction; was he aiming at the front of Rosti’s knees and ankles? The insides, the outsides? Overall I felt like this attack was true to his stats.
      • 2nd post: Acton’s attack here was very realistic. Like I said above, I would have liked to read a bit more observation on his part, but other than that I think this was a great show of his character and what he’s all about. After all, the hind end of a horse is the most powerful part, and kicking out while trying to put some distance between himself and an enemy is a good idea, especially when the enemy is so much bigger! I felt as though this post was true to his stats and build, and I really liked the use of trying to keep them ‘horizontal’ from one another.
      • 3rd post: No official attack to judge. (This does not count against your score)

• Blocks 22/30

• 11/15 -- Based on creativity of your defense (originality, imagination, and attention to detail)
      • 1st post: No official block to judge. (This does not count against your score.)
      • 2nd post: No official block to judge. I really like how Acton just kind of grinned and displayed a ‘show me what you can do’ attitude while taking Rosti’s attack. It was very original and I know I keep saying this, but true to who he is. As for receiving the wound itself, I felt like there could have been more originality to it, yet it didn’t take away from your writing.
      • 3rd post: Magic, magic, magic! I love how Acton used his magic here! I felt as though this block was super expressive on his part, and I could absolutely envision his posture and stance as he braced for impact. I also really enjoyed his reactions about not really being able to see what was going on due to the evening light, and how he more or less scrabbled into action after those first few bits of dirt and earth hit him.

• 11/15 -- Based on realism of your defense (mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your Health and Attack)
      • 1st post: No official block to judge. (This does not count against your score.)
      • 2nd post: No official block to judge. Like I said above, I think that the way that Acton took the bite to his shoulder was very realistic, and here, true to his stats. A horse bite itself can sometimes draw blood or inflict a little bit of swelling, so I felt like your decision for it to draw some blood was very reasonable and not out of the  norm. I also really like how he acknowledges the pain and then pushes through it.
      • 3rd post: Very realistic to his general stats, and how he would take such an attack. I know I said it above but I really liked how you wrote this.

• Writing Metrics 11/15

• 4/5 -- Based on overall writing creativity (originality, imagination, and attention to detail)
      • 1st post: I absolutely loved this first post from Acton. You did an amazing job in letting the reader know what was going through his head, as well as his emotions in regard to it all. The fact that he joined the tournament ‘just for laughs’ made me grin, and really held true to his character.
      • 2nd post: I can never get enough of reading Acton. He’s always a thrill. I think here I would have enjoyed to see a bit more attention to your overall surroundings. Perhaps take more notice of the treacherous ground as he was putting distance between himself and Rosti. I also really like how on numerous occasions there were references or throw-backs to Acton’s life as a performer, and those little bits of detail are always pleasant to read.
      • 3rd post: This whole post was very creative and a thrill to read. I love the fact that he used his magic to block what he could from Rosti’s attack, but I also really enjoy the detail that he didn’t block all of it! Throughout this entire battle I felt as though Acton was completely in character, and that’s very important when writing a fight!

• 3/5 -- Based on overall realism (physical mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your Health, Attack, Magic Level, and Bonded)
      • 1st post: Something I really liked was how, despite thinking himself an underdog in the situation, Acton carried himself with confidence. I love the terms that you used in his approach, how relaxed and loose he was. I would have liked to see more on how Acton compared the vast differences in their sizes and build, as well as how he planned to use his own size to his advantage, but I really enjoyed seeing him take note of Rosti’s armor! Also, as stated above, I would have loved to see more use of direction, just to clear things up.
      • 2nd post: Acton was very realistic here. He reacted and took his injuries like I would expect him to, and something that I really liked was how he took notice of Rosti’s injured leg and mentioned how he had no qualms in taking advantage of such an opportunity. I maybe would have liked to read how he would have planned on using that to his advantage, as well as point out a few differences on how he would use his leaner size against Rosti’s larger one, but overall this post was a good look into Acton’s fighting abilities and the way his mind worked under pressure.
      • 3rd post: As I’ve said a few times, I would have liked to see a bit more observation on directions and to their size differences and how Acton intended to use those to his advantage. I also wish he had done more knowing that Rosti’s front left leg was injured? Maybe next time! But overall, I felt as though Acton stayed true to his attack and his health, as well as the creative use of his magic there at the end.

• 4/5 -- Based on writing metrics (spelling, grammar, punctuation, run-on sentences, etc)
      • 1st post: Overall very easy and nice to read. Not many (if any) spelling errors, and while I saw a run-on sentence or two, as well as missing punctuation, they did not take away from the impact of your writing.
      • 2nd post: A few moments of changed tenses and a few spelling errors, but nothing that took away for the impact you were trying to make. It was nice to read and easy to follow, with few run-on sentences.
      • 3rd post: Overall very simple and easy to read, and no dire spelling errors that I noticed. I was able to follow a long quite easily, and everything was just a real treat to read!

DICE ROLL

@ROSTISLAV:
158 (battle total) + 40 (HTH + ATK) = 198
198 * 1.36 (36 EXP) = 269 (rounded down)

@ACTON:
160 (battle total) + 20 (HTH + ATK) = 180
180 * 1.13 (13 EXP) = 203 (rounded down)

269 + 203 = 472

1-269 = ROSTISLAV, 270-472 = ACTON

#1: 234 (ROSTISLAV)
#2: 307 (ACTON)
#3: 299 (ACTON)
#4: 424 (ACTON)
#5: 429 (ACTON)

Proof of dice roll is in Novus Discord's "Contest" channel @ 2:07 PM EST on June 18th, 2018 .
@ACTON wins.

All damage taken in the thread is still applicable and cannot be retconned!

Participate in a Battle or Challenge: +1 EXP to Rostislav, +1 EXP to Acton
Win a Battle: +1 additional EXP to Acton
Total: +2 EXP to Acton, +1 EXP to Rostislav

Acton's and Rostislav's official experience has been updated to reflect these changes, so there's no need to post in the Experience Updates thread! Also, an additional 300 Signos have been sent to each account due to the extended wait for the final judgement.

This thread is now locked and been archived.

Messages In This Thread
.. I like it rough .. - by Rostislav - 04-05-2018, 10:00 PM
RE: .. I like it rough .. - by Acton - 04-08-2018, 09:06 AM
RE: .. I like it rough .. - by Rostislav - 04-08-2018, 04:47 PM
RE: .. I like it rough .. - by Acton - 04-11-2018, 12:43 PM
RE: .. I like it rough .. - by Rostislav - 04-15-2018, 09:51 PM
RE: .. I like it rough .. - by Acton - 04-17-2018, 10:41 AM
RE: .. I like it rough .. - by roo - 05-08-2018, 02:24 AM
RE: .. I like it rough .. - by Sparrow - 06-18-2018, 01:33 PM