Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - to the stars [festival]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Caelum

CAELUM
starborn

The lands here were... different, from his home lands, but that hadn't stopped Caelum from finding a place to settle, a Court to linger in. Under normal circumstances, perhaps he would have aligned himself with a court that made more sense, the Night, yet there had been a pull here in the Dawn. Where night and day met with soft kisses in the sky, where the stars were visible under a blanket of blue that was lightening up. It was here that he had settled at last, those few years ago.

Now he stood among the hustle and bustle of a festival, certainly easy to see at his massive height and with his wings curling at his sides. He seemed to take up a vast amount of space without even trying, and he felt almost awkward, blinking his eyes and watching the glow shimmer and move from the stardust that seemed to cluster around him at all times.

It drifted and fluttered, mostly forming halos over his head, and as he lifted it, some moved while some simply faded, creating a break in the halos that soon filled in as he stood rather still. At least he was off to the side, looking over the many heads to enjoy the music, the sounds. It was rather lovely out, and he couldn't help but lean his head back enough to look up again, long ears craning forward as he scanned the skies out of habit. He longed to be up with them, but he had plenty of time for that.

Shuffling on shining hooves, Caelum made himself comfortable instead, propping up a back leg to rest a hoof on its tip as he gazed out. Watching others interact was a good past time for him, and he could only watch them mingle, his wings adjusting every so often while he listened to the music, even shuffling feathers a little to the beat, aware of how his feathers were puffing at his sides.

tagging @Somnus bc but also open to others!

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

Somnus

So far, the Harvest Festival seemed to be a smashing hit. No matter where he looked, be it friend or stranger, everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. The games were clever and thrilling, but not too difficult to be won. The snacks were a big hit as well, especially the spiced apples and pumpkin cakes, along with the spiced beverages to be shared. Generous members of the Night Court provided verbally woven tapestries of song for them to dance to, and all in all, well... It was a relaxing affair, jovial and exciting, and even though members all four Courts were gathered in one place and their Majesty Kasil was vacant from Delumine, things were running quite smoothly.

Needless to say, Somnus was proud. This had been his suggestion to Kasil, after all, a benefiting way to open up their bountiful harvest to the other civilians of Novus, to offer praise to their Gods and thanks for such fertile land and profound growth... And it was clearly a positive decision to have been made. Yes, it had taken quite a bit of work, and yes, Somnus had been stressed and fretting throughout the most of it all, dancing and darting between groups of individuals and welcoming them, inquiring if they needed anything, and bidding them adieu to enjoy themselves, and to never hesitate to search him out if they had any inquiries.

All of the joy, all of the fun and happiness caused a smile to pull a the golden tactician's lips, and he let out a long, satisfied breath as he continued to make his rounds. Everyone around him seemed to be enjoying themselves, and the sight was magnificent. Somnus could even spot Ulric among the masses, keeping an eye on their guests, ever the vigilant Warden, but also having engaging in some of the activities and having quite a bit of fun, himself. It was good to see.

The stallion's verdant eyes scanned the crowds, when they landed upon a dapper fellow of the likes that he had never seen, Somnus paused. There was positively no missing him, for he stood hands above everyone else in the immediate area. The advisor tipped his nose upwards, scenting the air. The stranger, dappled in shades of grey with long, silky tresses of ivory, smelt faintly of Delumine, of ozone and star-filled nights, but still he did not recognize him. Was he a citizen of their Court? Newly arrived? Or was he among the visitors from the other Courts? It was hard to say, but Somnus was certain of one thing; he would have never forgotten a face like that.

So, hoping to welcome everyone into their fold, and their festival, the tactician approached with a lazy gait, his wings furled and tucked close to his sides, keen verdant eyes focused on the star-kissed man.

"Greetings," he began, the elegant lilt of his accent warming and welcoming, "I don't believe we've had the privilege of meeting. I am Somnus." A hesitance, then he went on, dipping his nose as he took up position beside the taller stallion's side, not wishing to be in the way of the singing and dancing that others were partaking in. "Are you enjoying yourself? Is there anything I can get for you?"

@Caelum

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Caelum

CAELUM
starborn

A ruffle, and several long feathers seemed to stick out at an odd angle, causing the gentle dappled giant to adjust his wing, lifting it and curling the joint as he adjusted, sending the glimmering dust scattering for a moment. It settled once his wing was back down, gravitating toward his head as it always did and forming the illusion that he wore halos over his head, silver and bright.

Color him surprised as he was actually approached, and his large head lifted and lowered, long ears flicking forward among the stardust particles as he listened, blinking silver eyes and finding a warmth curling through him. It was always good to meet others, and this one smelled of Dawn Court itself. Perhaps he should have mingled more often, but he was a wanderer even to his own court these past two years, always seeming to drift in and out of existence as he chased the stars at night and came back weeks later with more knowledge than last time. It was his way, and none had complained about his wanderings, so he had no reason to shorten them or stop them. He always tended to come back home as it were.

Somnus, the golden man called himself, and he found a joy in the fact they were opposite in color. The sun and the moon, even, with clusters of stars on his hide and the sheen of golden rays on the other's. "Greetings," he finally replied, and his tone rumbled with a deep baritone, called forth from his chest as his eyes focused on the other, examining him almost. Observing how he moved, how he looked. He would not forget this one.

A smile cracked across dark lips, and Caelum lifted his head, the sheet of white tumbling over his neck and face, clearing away from his eyes. "I happen to be enjoying myself a lot, actually. There isn't much that I need, save for company and perhaps someone to dance with," he admitted, before he cleared his throat and shuffled a little on his hooves, suddenly remembering his manners.

"Forgive me. My name is Caelum, and I've been here in Dawn Court for a few years. It seems I've wandered a little too much, if I've missed such a lovely festival like this before." He almost mourned the fact he could have missed more. This was rather delightful, a pocket of warmth and laughter in the midst of travels that took him under the stars in the lonely skies.

@Somnus || LOVE HIM

Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

Somnus

It came with a shock to discover that this magnificent gentleman, with words laced in a timbre of the depths Somnus could not fathom, was actually a member of the Dawn Court, and had been for years. Verdant eyes widened in minute surprise, turning his head slightly to regard the winged stallion with blatant curiosity. It wasn't often that Somnus found himself speechless, but this was one of those very times.

Now, the golden tactician himself had not been in Delumine or Novus for a terribly long time, perhaps about a whole season at most, but he would have remembered seeing someone of this fellow's caliber before. Nothing about him was familiar; his face, his massive size, the way he held himself, the length of his downy wings, nor his name. Caelum. Sky. The same ancient tongue of which his own name was derived. How appropriate that they should find kinship here, in Delumine.

The flash of surprise was momentary, and once more Somnus masked his features behind that refined canvas of neutrality, recalling his manners of chamberlain and advisor to the Crown of Vhallen. He had been slacking in his manners, growing accustomed to the mundane and letting his carefully kept expression and habits go in favor of the slow, relaxed pace of the Dawn Court. It was inevitable, whether he liked it or not, given the fact that he no longer obtained a position where his opinion merited much worth, and the easy-going atmosphere around him. Here, there was no need for quick wit, a sharp tongue, or keen observations... At least not yet.

Ah, but what a bitter thought for such a fortuitous event. Such thinking simply would not do.

Letting those thoughts drift away into the deep recesses of his own mind to be mulled about on a rainy day, preferably in his own, solitary company, the golden stallion's dark lips twitched upwards into a smile once more, and he dipped his head. "A pleasure, Caelum. Be welcome back among home soil, then. The Harvest Festival is all the more warmer for your return to Delumine." And, well... Somnus was quite warmer, as well. For Caelum's company. The tactician's crisp, keen emerald eyes glittered as they glanced back outwards, watching as the civilians and visitors alike partook in the offerings of the celebration. They were happy, and that was good. He had been terrified that something would happen, that his idea would be a botched mess of turmoil and disappointment, or, at worse, an outbreak of violence, but everyone seemed amicable to prolong the peace and simply enjoy the celebration for what it was; for fun, for offering, and for unity.

"I've naught a clue if such festivities were had in the past. I'm only a recent addition to the Dawn Court myself. I arrived in the midst of last summer's thrall." And what a hot, grueling summer it had been. He much preferred the crisp chill and sweet breeze that came with autumn. "... I suggested the festival to His Majesty in hopes of offering something back to the citizens of Novus, as well as pay homage to our Gods. I'm honestly quite tickled that the people seem to love it so." Here, Somnus grew momentarily quiet before offering Caelum a gentle smile.

"Apologies. I've been harried since it began, checking in with everyone to ensure all was well. This is the first time in hours that I've managed to stop and simply take it all in." And in such fine company, too. "... So, Caelum, if I may ask. Have you been to many places in your wanderings?"

@Caelum

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Caelum

CAELUM
starborn

The words at least drew a throaty chuckle from the large male, and his stances shifted a little, growing more comfortable on his hooves as his ears twitched subtly toward the other. "It's good to be back, especially at a time like this. Festivals seem to be the lifeblood of the courts lately. It's a nice thing to be able to join one." He'd spotted another one or two while flying, or so he had assumed. Gatherings of horses talking and food, merriment. It had been enough to catch his attention from above, though he'd never landed. "I should probably stay," he added on to the end of his words, smiling slightly. Well, stay in Dawn for a while, rather than allowing himself to meander off once more and poke his nose in places.

The answer to his pondering was surprising, given how some of the Courts were tied in to the lands and their deities. Was this the first time Dawn had had a festival? At least, it was since he'd arrived a few years ago, but his wandering ways kept him preoccupied, and he hardly landed most of the time. He was always gliding in the skies, navigating and moving on his way. "It's a bit startling, that this is the first in a while. Then again there may have been... my eyes tend to stay glued elsewhere." His nose twitched up as he smiled, and the expression faltered in to a more thoughtful look as he gazed out over the festival goers.

It was nice to have someone to talk to, he realized. It had been a little while since he'd had anyone to talk to like this, or one that took an interest in where he went.

"Many. I know Novus' stars like my own name, and can navigate the lands without any landmarks on the ground. Now I can't tell you the names of those places but I can tell you how far from here they are, and where exactly they lie. My life is among the stars more than with the grass and ground, but I always like to know where I am." The rumbled words were more than amused, and he released a soft chuckle as he tilted his head, the stardust gathering in to its soft halo shapes once more above his head, glimmering and shifting in the light that danced from the fires.

@Somnus || <3

Alioth

A L I O T H
Searching for the sun in the night even like a lonely string of lights

Alioth watched since she woke up as horses of all colors and sizes began their flight or their march down to the gathering place of the court of the dawn. There seemed to be a buzz about the land and Alioth decided to stand back as everyone passed by. She took her time and note of everyone around her as she ate and groomed herself. She stayed hidden in shadows so the sun would shine against the scales along her back and face. She hoped the glimmer from the jewels in her forehead would not shine at just the right time in the right direction. Alioth in her on a fact-finding mission about these people across the sea, not to make friends or fall in love. She pulled leaves and twigs from her mane and tail to make herself for presentable since it seemed the line of horses would never end. A queen must always be presentable, is what her mother always told her.

The music began shortly after and Alioth realized it must be some sort of festival or gathering. Now, this has her attention. In her home festivals are a common occurrence and the lifeblood of her people. She lived to see the joy and community that festivals brought. Alioth could never imagine these people who were told as horror stories could be so much like her own people. With one of the first smiles she has had since she got here, she strolled out of the shadows onto a path trampled down with the passing of others. She rubbed against a bush which is known for its fragrance as she walked down and could see the fires and the tune of the music began to rise. She needed no direction with this much commotion going on. Luckily it is a time of peace right now.

One of the first horses she saw on the outskirts was two males. One of quite a substantial height and the other much smaller. Alioth preferred to watch things before jumping in so this seemed suitable. She stops back and listened to them speak for a bit and acquired their names and some of their conversation and decided that they would be a good conversation for the time being.

Walking up she began to speak to them so as not to startle them.

Greetings gentleman. How are the festivities treating you this evening?

She smiled lightly but not to show an over encumbrance of happiness. Her smile is cordial and coy. She looked over the cream male with his wings and then to the starry, haloed giant. Both are sights to see when it seems most of the horses around are female. She did look down to the group and then back to the males on purpose before her next words in case they were having a moment that she might be intruding upon.

If you two don’t mind I may just horse watch with you two if that’s acceptable.

She scanned them from the corner of her eye to see their response, the same small smile on the tips of her lips.

@Caelum @Somnus

Dawn Court Scholar

Somnus

There was something almost otherworldly about this celestial fellow. Was he truly even mortal? Or was he not a fallen star, conversing with Somnus as though the golden tactician was worthy of such an incredible encounter? Somnus listened, ears forward to attention, absorbing every word that fell from dark tinted lips. Caelum spoke with such knowing reverance, such formality, that he found himself being lost in the cadence of his words. It was a dance, a song, and Somnus was powerless but to be drawn to it. There was a gentleness about him that defied his towering stature, and the dunalino found himself feeling quite content by his side, despite the fact that they had just met.

They couldn't, perhaps, be more physically different. Where as Somnus was golden and bright, shorter with the blood of stock horses flowing through his veins, Caelum was dark and bespeckled, tall, elegant, and nimble. Somnus was the earth, and Caelum the sky. They were a contradiction in its finest. It was almost tragically beautiful.

Mentally, however, they seemed to be quite similar. They both vied to understand the world in a far more intimate, deeper way. They sought to understand, to know, and despite their differences, Somnus felt a blooming kinship with him. Perhaps something could blossom, even if it was a deep sense of familiarity.

"Simply marvelous," Somnus murmured after some time, his accent coated with reverence for the words that Caelum spoke of, "Truly. I cannot even fathom knowing the stars so intimately." Even though he had been born with wings, he had always kept his eyes downwards, earth-bound, desiring to know more about the world as opposed to the heavens. Turning his head upwards and slightly to the side, keen emerald eyes regarded Caelum with a warm look, his lips twisting upwards in a smile. "One day I would love to hear the tales of which you could spin in regards to the stars, if you would choose to indulge this old fool." Old. Hardly. But sometimes Somnus felt far older than his years, experienced to the workings of the world as he was, so accustomed to joy, loss, change, and heartache.

Inevitably, their solitary speak had to come to an end. Another soon joined them, and Somnus' gaze turned away from the starborn to focus instead on the other who settled by their side. She was a pretty thing, roan with brilliantly gleaming scales. Her words danced in the air, coy and jovial, and the golden tactician found himself offering her a dip of his head as she sidled up to them.

"Ah," he began knowingly, smiling with warmth dancing in his eyes, "I can't say that I mind at all, young miss. Be welcome." She smelled of home, of the trees and autumn breeze of the Dawn Court. Another member that he had not yet had the privilege to meet, it seemed. "The festivities are quite grand. When His Majesty returns, I intend to thank him for this fine opportunity he has allowed us."

From a personal and political stand point, it was a golden opportunity. Not only could they get to know the members of their own Court far more intimately, but they could use the festival as an advantage to get to know members of their sister-Courts as well. While neutral in their standings and justice running through their veins, Somnus knew court intricacies well enough to understand the importance of intermingling with others from the land of Novus.

@Caelum @Alioth