Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - The Messenger

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Ki'irha

At dusk, death came
in the form of a woman.

Ki'irha
Thunder sprang from her hooves as she ran.

Barely more than a week ago, she had happened upon Solterra. Though her visit was meant to be just that, the moment she had stepped hoof upon the Day Court’s capital, all hell had broken loose. A monstrous beast, a creature of ancient ruin, had fallen upon the towering precipice of the desert’s center. Many had sprung to arms, following the call of their commander, and Ki’irha, ever the warrior, could not stand idly by, so she joined the fray. Yet, before anything could happen, before they could inflict damage upon the great monster, it had taken to the sky, then plunged back to earth and plucked the desert’s king off of the sandy terra and carried him off into the clear blue sky. The people had converged, and another had stepped forward, spoken of the responsibility that she and a counterpart would assume. Ki’irha hadn’t stuck around for long after that; the people needed their time to mourn, to prepare, to adjust, and she didn’t need to be in the center of their changing of guards.

But this was important.

So, upon long legs and lean muscle she flew. She crossed the desert with difficulty, nearly becoming lost and consumed within the mirages and dehydrated dunes. She had found life within the Oasis, had supped the crystal waters until she could drink no more, and then again she vanished, moving beneath the coolness of the night. She had skirted past the mountains, ignored the way they called her name, and on she continued. Legs carried her across the Bellum Steppe, forcing her past equines who tried to intercept her, tried to entice her to fight, and though she easily avoided them, she didn’t leave the battle grounds totally unscathed; a gopher hole had consumed her ankle, and the swollen joint and burning strained tendons and ligaments slowed her considerably. She followed the coast line, tracing it’s uneven length, until home came into view.

As she stumbled into Terrastella, her body threatened to give out. She had only stopped long enough at any point between her start and finish to drink and eat the bare minimum to keep her going. Her heart pounded within her chest, her lungs burned like embers had been pressed into the tissue, and her muscles ached and pulled. She had pushed herself to the very end of her limits for the past few hours, knowing she was close to home, and as she crossed into the Dusk Court’s capital, she considered, for a moment, how ironic it would be for her to have successfully made the trip, only to drop dead upon her arrival.

Finally stopping, she found herself outside of the towering citadel that marked the capital. She stood upon shaking legs, her body perilously balanced upon the trembling extremities, and her sides heaved as she fought to catch her breath. Sweat foamed across her body, and her mane rested in tangles down the nape of her damp neck. She favored her front right leg, testing it gingerly with a wince every time she attempted to place weight upon it. Sand and dust and grime dirtied her, and it would be a miracle if anyone listened to her, seeing as how disheveled and filthy she was, but she didn’t care. She had made quite the trek, and she was a messenger with important news. This could potentially change everything.

“Please,” she called out, hoping someone would hear. She was unsure if any currently resided within the looming building before her, or if any were within earshot. “I request audience with the sovereign, but everyone must hear this. I’ve come with news all the way from Solterra.”

Her head dropped, ears lax, and she swallowed hard as she tried to fight the dryness within her mouth. Though her body threatened to fall, she remained strong. What she needed was care, healing, water and food, but everything she ever did was for the good of her herd. She was diligent, and she was loyal. She would always put those she protected before her. Who knew what would come with the fall of the King of Solterra? She waited for those who had heard her to gather. She lifted her head finally, looking upon them, and began to speak.

“I know many may not know me, as I am new here. My name is Ki’irha, and I’ve spent the last week carrying this information from the Day Court. Shortly after my arrival to Solterra to visit, the city fell under attack. A great teryr attacked the capital. Many fought, myself included, but the beast escaped. When it left, it carried off a great pegasus stallion, the one named Maxence - Solterra’s king.” She looked to gauge the reaction of those before her, before again continuing. “He is presumed dead. A woman, I am unsure of her name, spoke following his capture and assumed demise, and stated that herself as well as another woman, Seraphina, needed to discuss what to do next. I am unsure of their roles within the court, but it seemed as though the citizens that gathered looked to them for guidance following the events.”

The star-swept warrior fell silent, ready to answer any questions that she could. She was unsure what this would mean, unsure what she would start with this, but she knew one thing at least - she would finally be known, and perhaps this would help her find her place as a stranger within this herd.

Played by Offline Obsidian [PM] Posts: 380 — Threads: 45
Signos: 25
Inactive Character

florentine

Please. The word is a plea, called out through too-tired lips. The voice is weary even as it fights its way through the air and fall leaves. For all its weakness it is still strong enough to filter in through the court’s walls and to Florentine’s ears.

The word has the Dusk girl standing, fleeing towards the window as her amethyst eyes settle upon a creature of dust and so much sweat. Exhaustion trembles her every limb and Flora is quick to flee the inner court in search of the girl.

She arrives in time to hear of Maxence’s demise. She knows of beasts, Maxence had once shown her the corpse of a teryr he and his Courtiers had once killed. Rannveig had healed Inkheart’s broken leg – the beasts were vicious and dangerous. Thoughts of their tragedy set Flora’s heart fluttering in her chest, “Was he the only casualty? I hope no others have met the same fate?”

The flower girl calls and a page appears. “Find Yana, Jude, Evangeline and Israfel,” the new, young sovereign requests softly, delegation a strange taste upon her inexperienced tongue. The page disappears with a nod and Florentine’s gaze returns to Ki-irah. “Thank you for coming. I have sent for some of our caretakers, they will heal you. If there has been a teryr fight then it is likely Solterra will need our healing skills, not just our condolences for the loss of their sovereign.”

She thinks of Seraphina, the girl she once met who glowed more silver than the moonlight she bathed beneath. They were of a similar age, and once were both emissaries… Flora wonders if Seraphina also sometimes found the weight of responsibility heavy upon her shoulders.

“Seraphina is the Solterran Emissary and the other woman was most likely Avdotya, their regent. Was she all stern looking and brandishing a spear?” The flower girl clarifies as her eyes drink in the dust and sweat upon the messenger’s skin. “You did well to reach us and tell us of this. Were you adventuring in Solterra? Is that how you saw what happened?” The question is as far from an interrogation as it could be, rather, Flora’s question is filled with a pleased kind of curiosity. “We need people adventuring and maintaining our connections with our brethren courts. I am Florentine, may I know your name?”

It was mere moments before Evangeline, Jude and Yana arrived and the Dusk girl’s smile grows in welcome of them all. “@Evangeline, @Jude, will you be so kind as to travel to Solterra with our condolences? Their king, Maxence, has succumbed to a teryr attack and they are now without him; I imagine they will be in need of healers. Maxence and I once discussed an exchange of our healers for their warriors, I would like to extend our part of that offering now, in honour of his passing.”

Florentine’s attention then drifts to Israfel – a warrior of fierce fire – “@Israfel, will you accompany Jude and Evangeline, aid them in their work as healers and in relaying our condolences? I hope to join you all soon, but I shan’t hold you back when Solterra may need us.”

Her gaze drifted to the glittering black swamp witch, “@Yana, would you be so kind as to heal Ki-irah, her leg is wounded and she would likely be grateful for some help to reach the baths in order to wash – sweat and sand are a frightfully itchy combination.”

((I hope @Jude, @Evangeline and @Israfel happy to go and spread some Dusk help and love in Solterra – may be fun to get some bonds (or otherwise!) going there. @Ki’irah since she is wounded I suggested she stay back and heal, however if she wants to return to Solterra and help the relief effort then once she has healed enough I am sure that would be cool!

Anyone any questions, then pm me on Discord loves!))

She is clothed with strength and dignity, 
and she laughs without fear of the future 

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Jude

JUDE
The only heart
I've ever broken
Was my own
He doesn’t belong. There’s nothing but a nagging sense of dysphoria and discomfort. Jude doesn’t know these people and he can’t find it in himself to pursue friendships. Fear keeps him sealed tightly in his own quarters, Mittens tucked close into his side during the long hours he wastes sleeping. It’s almost no different than Vectaeryn, the only exception seemingly the regressive nature of these equines that live only slightly above wild animals. He is sleeping when the summons come, a knock on his doors. Jude’s eyes open slowly and he can feel the weight in his chest.  He chokes on words and only gives the response of a nod before he nudges Mittens awake. Slowly the pair walk out of his chambers and start to seek out their newly crowned monarch. Mittens trots easily along beside him, tail raised in the air as they walk side by side. 

It isn’t long before he sees the golden monarch of dusk. Jude keeps his eyes cast downward and his body language meek. Even as the queen smiles the gesture isn’t returned, the kirin’s eyes remaining transfixed on the ground and he takes slow, long breaths to keep himself at ease. Florentine’s words sink in and they add more weight to the young kirin’s shoulders. Traveling to somewhere foreign with foreign individuals.

What do I do?! I don’t want to go, Jude asks through his bond, reaching out to Mittens. He watches the cat flick her tail and look up towards him.

You shed your tears and then you pick yourself up…  Mittens says simply, Get through and then we’ll evaluate what to do.

I want to go home.. Jude whispers miserably through their bond. All he can do now is question his foolhardy decisions that have been driven by obsession and infatuation. But still, he will press forward after he fulfills his duty. 
Image by QueerlyCode by Tribs

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 137 — Threads: 30
Signos: 1,020
Night Court Sovereign
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 496 Summer]  |  16.1 hh  |  Hth: 32 — Atk: 28 — Exp: 85  |    Active Magic: Pyromancy  |    Bonded: Solaris (Phoenix)

Israfel

The Sun Daughter was on patrol just outside of the capitol when the page found her, breathless and harried. She explained quickly the urgency behind the summons, that there had been a development and Florentine had beckoned her, and Israfel wasted not a moment more. If her Queen had need of her, then she would not turn her back on the floral maiden in her time of need. While strangers they practically were, Israfel was nothing if not loyal.

With a mighty gust of wind propelled beneath gilded wings, Israfel took to the skies, purpose and trepidation setting her pace. What had happened? Was everything, and everyone, alright? Her mind ran rampant, forming ideas spurred by ignorance, by long-forgotten fears, by twisted, dangerous memories of fire and death. Her arrival to the citadel, and ultimately the gathering of those who had arrived before she had, held little fanfare. Large wings spread wide for landing, catching air and slowing her descent, and Israfel landed upon the ground with a clatter of gilded, cloven hooves.

Fierce vermilion eyes flicked about, spotting those who had already gathered. Florentine was impossible to miss amidst her splendor, all tawny locks and lilac flowers. With her were others already gathered; Ki'rha, Evangeline, Yana, Jude... They were names and faces only. She did not know them intimately, and they were naught but strangers, but they were family. As a unit, they worked together for the betterment of Terrastella, and as such, Israfel knew that she would fight to defend each of them with the same ferocity that she would use to defend Florentine herself. They were one, and she would treat them as such.

Drawing closer, pale wings tucked close to her sides and ivory hair wild and unkempt from her dash to the capitol, the Sun Daughter dipped her head to Florentine. She did not question, instead keeping rose-tinted lips shut tight as the newly crowned Sovereign explained just what was going on.

Maxence, the Sovereign of Solterra, had been slain in combat of defending his land from a beast known as a teryr. It was an honorable death to defend the ones you loved, especially if no other soul was lost. She lowered her head solemnly in silence, listening, brows pinched and fiery orange eyes dark with uncertainty. Alas, however, Florentine's orders were inevitably given. Israfel lifted her head, her gaze snapping towards the young Sovereign, burning vermilion boring into soothing amethyst. Unconsciously she straightened at attention, but her expression remained warm and unguarded.

"I will," Israfel answered honestly, devotedly, with another dip of her head in Florentine's direction, her eyes skirting along the others gathered to rest on Jude and Evangeline, "I'll see them to Solterra and back safely, Lady, and do what I can for those who call Solterra home."

x - x

Please Tag Israfel in all Replies!