Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - EVENT | Do You Wanna Build A Snowman?!

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Ipomoea

It’s that Time of Year…

A cold season has settled in, bringing frost and snow to much of Novus and turning it into a winter wonderland. Here in the northern reaches of the Elutheria plains, it seems to cover just about everything: the ground is coated by a soft blanket of it, the tree branches bow beneath its weight, the animals have taken to their shelters, warm in their burrows and secret places. The world is white as far as the eye can see. Some may find it dreary, depressive, content to slumber through the winter the way bears would. Others, however, may just find their new world perfect for snowball fights… and snowmen building.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IPOMOEA
so lay me down in golden dandelions 

Ipomoea trudged through the snow, leaving hoof prints in his wake. Each step was a game to him, to see how far the snow would go: sometimes, it barely reached his coronet band. Other times, he found himself sinking into a drift up to his shoulders. The snow gave way beneath his weight, eating his speckled frame whole, eliciting a bubbly laugh to escape from his throat. With a rear and a hop he was free, snow clinging to his body so that he appeared more a leopard appaloosa than a snowcap. He snorted, puffs of breath snaking visibly through the air, and leapt into a spirited canter, heels flinging in the air in his wake.

Although he said so about every season, Ipomoea was convinced Winter was by far his true favorite. For one, it was his birth season, marking another year of his life gone by. Blankets and hot drinks were abundant, as well, comfort and open doors seeming to appear everywhere he went (for who would turn down the poor orphan-turned Emissary from their home?)

And, of course, there was snow.

He ran through it now, kicking up his heels in excitement. There was nothing he could think of that would be heavy enough to weigh down his heart: it was winter! And that meant holidays and fun!

After an appropriate time acting like a yearling, the Dawn Court Emissary came to a skidding stop. Tossing the snow from his bright pink eyes, he inspected the perfect clearing he had found himself in. A smile stretched lopsidedly across his boyish face, and he was off to work. Carefully, he scraped some snow across the ground and began rolling it into a ball that gradually became bigger and bigger. He perched it carefully upon the ground, nudging it with his nose to ensure it wouldn’t move. Satisfied, he turned and began rolling another ball, this one smaller than the first. Using his feeble telekinesis, it took a few tries to lift it high enough to place upon the first ball of snow. Once more, he made a third, smaller

Now, to just find something to decorate it with… Ipomoea lowered his head to inspect the snow, calculating in his mind how deep it may be. One gangly, speckled foreleg pawed tentatively at the ground, beginning to scrape some of it away. A few more strikes and he could see the frozen dirt through the snow: he was sure he would find a few good stones to make eyes out of…

coding by meverrnind
art by neverrmind
<3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is an official Novus event thread, with a surprise waiting at the end! Anyone who joins by Monday, December 18th will receive a 150 signos reward and will be “in” on the story to come! Come help Ipomoea build a snowman!

You’re welcome to help Po build his snowman, or begin building a bunch of your own! ;D

Cynix

CYNIX
day met night

At two years old, Cynix was almost fully groan, filled out more than the awkward creature he had been, and standing at a hefty height, closer to his father than his mother when it came to that. His mane hung in thick braids, and his tail was the same, flicking while feathers ruffled at he base, long and elegant. Honestly, he had finally decided to walk out of Denocte and make his way in other lands to meet new faces, to carefully slip past his mother and leave her unworried in her handlings of the Night Court Sages.

The stallion shook his head, his wings flapping a little as his eyes flickered, and he smiled when he saw someone in the snow, frolicking about. For a good long moment, he watched curiously, nervously pawing at the snow with a feathered front hoof, wondering if he should approach them or not. Honestly, there was probably no harm in it; Maxence was gone and the tensions between Night and Day were a little.. less than they had been. That and he could defend himself should he have to, though he doubted he would have to at this point.

Sucking it up, Cynix took in a breath and trotted forward, kicking up some snow as he did and flicking his ears forward, a little eager. "Are you looking for something?" Cynix felt his feathers ruffle, and a few fell out. He'd been molting recently, and almost eagerly he picked them up with his telekinesis, holding them aloft with a bright shine to his eyes.

"Can we add feathers to it? What.. is it?" A snowman wasn't something he knew, at all, and this was a new experience. He had gathered though that this equine in front of him had been building it though, so maybe he was looking for things to add to it?

@Ipomoea || WING BUDDIES

Isorath

I S O R A T H

Isorath had been fortunate in his travels to find himself absent of Winter's Chill upon his skin, chill wind was a blessed relief to summer sun, not the needled bite from Atune's maw. Snow frosted wind and howling blasts of frigid sleet were nothing more than fireside chatter, when weary mercenaries and merchants huddled near the embers and told tales of the slippery, unforgiving ice.

Yet, Novus had seen it fit to bless him with another first. Porcelain hooves dipped through the pristine white as his cloak hugged his slender frame to stave off the worst of the cold, the halo which bobbed gracefully behind him shimmered and glittered as the light caught it's ornate surface. Each step was savored, for the light crunch underfoot was an addicting thing. White blanketed everything, glittering in the frosty light and transforming the landscape into something utterly beautiful.

Summer might have been his element, but for a moment he felt like Winter may have been more his taste. Head tipped toward the light, the Sage allowed his eyes to slip closed as he exhaled softly.

The moment of serenity was all too soon disrupted, a familiar voice caught his attention and his eyes flickered open to follow it to the source. A minute flicker of amusement danced over his fine boned features as he regarded the young stallion, a fair bit bigger than the last time the Sage had spied him — and then to the unfamiliar stallion at his side. For a moment he did nothing but watch, mild curiosity soon overtaking the amusement that had briefly occupied him.

Eventually, curiosity won out and the stallion stretched his wings in order to glide down the hill toward the pair, landing a short distance away so he could approach on foot, eyes glued to the unusual snow sculpture in it's fledgling state of life. "Sneaking away from your mother again?" Isorath asked toward Cynix, unable to keep the smirk from his pale maw, his teke idly reaching out to roll a patch of snow into a ball, back and forth as he kept his gaze steady on the pair. "What are you doing?"

TAG: @Ipomea @Cynix
NOTES:

space

Tamran

tamran
the faithful
I suppose I have found it easier to identify with the characters who verge upon hysteria, who were frightened of life, who were desperate to reach out to another person. But these seemingly fragile people are the strong people really
   He didn't know why he left the desert, but he didn't think he'd be gone long enough for anyone to notice, if they cared. The boy was used to going unnoticed, ignored even, and didn't think much of it as he slipped away from the Day Court, following the paths he had seen others take on their ways in and out of Solterra. Almost immediately after leaving the hot desert sands, though, the world became a blanket of white and cold in a beautiful and dizzying array. His cloven hooves, so suitable for traversing the sand, proved equally well adapted for the snow as their broad toes kept him from sinking and floundering too deep.

It was beautiful, but it made his chest ache for it's loveliness. He felt unclean a dirty copper stain against the brilliant white, and almost retreated back to the desert he was built for, colored for. Voices on the wind, however, drew him, and the young stallion carefully made his way over, his fine ears pricked as he watched an equine(who barely looked like a horse) descend on jagged wings, and that was when he saw the other two. All of them, save one warm brown stallion, were larger than himself, heavier and in truth scarier, and so Tam crept forward in caution, catching the tail end of conversation between the winged equine and another youth who bore wings on his head.

In fact, when he looked again, all three of them bore wings in some manner, as if this gathering was only for those who sported them.

Not wanting to intrude, he hung back, watching the brown stud with winged feet dig around for something in the snow next to... well, Tamran didn't know what that was. It was lumpy, made of three roughly round sections of snow, and all in all looked very... strange. He hung back, even more confused than before as he watched the brown one dig for something in the snow, his lilac gaze dropping to the cold stuff around his own feet. What was going on?
ELEGANT--TRAGEDY || FANTASY-STOCK

@Ipomoea @Cynix @Isorath - im so sorry this sucks XD It'll get better i swear, workin out his personality/style

Messalina

M E S S A L I N A . //

Winter had arrived, and with her descent upon the land, Messalina felt her spirit lift in a way that only the snow’s frosty kiss could induce. The season of holidays and rejoice had warmed even Mother’s heart, and she’d release the girl from her lessons and practices with an almost tender warning to “keep out of trouble.”

She reflected upon these memories with fondness as she wrapped her velvet cloak tighter around her shoulders. Rumor was that the Eluetheria Plains boasted the most bountiful display of snow in Novus, and Messalina had set off bright and early that morning to see the sight for herself. Thankfully, the rumor had been correct—the snow thickened the closer she was to the Plains, and when she finally arrived, the whiteness of the undisturbed blanket before her was blinding in its magnificence. Were it not for her red cloak, the ivory-pelted girl would’ve blended in seamlessly amongst her surroundings. Her braids fell across her eyes as she lowered her head, nose lightly touching the frozen ground. How cold! Lifting her crown with a start, her frosty eyes danced as an idea flashed across her mind.

She’d observed the other children building one of these on many a wintry day from her window, and once she’d even tried it out herself, attempting it under the cloak of night. She’d failed miserably. It was a collaborative effort to build one of those snow-men, and with her own strength alone, she'd found it impossible to place the balls of snow on top of each other.

But Novus had gifted her with telepathy. Surely she’d be able to build one herself now.

~~~

Messalina had thought herself alone in the discovery of such an untouched area of the Plains, and was thus appropriately startled as voices arose from behind her. Quickly, she kicked over the sorry mess of a snow-man she’d been sculpting, releasing a breath of frustration. Heaven forbid if another caught her next to such a pitiable creation! Snow-sculpting would never be a skill of hers, it seemed. She abandoned her toppled work without sparing another glance towards it and headed towards the flurry of noise, curious as to whoever else had ventured out as she did to these snow-covered plains.

A crowd of four emerged as she neared, one hanging noticeably back as if he did not belong among the others. Squinting her eyes against the blinding light, she traced out the form of a familiar painted figure. Ipomoea, the Emissary of Dawn. Messalina did not recognize the others surrounding him, but it was her duty to greet her Emissary, and—her eyes widened as she noticed the snow-man next to him, so perfect in its alignment. How he managed it, she did not know; but a smile graced her face regardless as she approached. "Greetings, Po. I am pleased to see you again amongst the snow." To the others, she dipped her head in polite acknowledgment. Winter had called to all of them, and Messalina would be pleased to make their acquaintance.

— ♕ —

@Ipomoea, @Cynix, @Isorath, @Tamran
notes: joining in on the fun! ;u;

Adelheid

Adelheid
Movement across the plateau draws her attention. A flash of red, then black, then gold and peach in turn, floating across the otherwise unbroken sea of white. The mare squints, struggling to make out any detail amid the blinding glare of the sun, but even at the barest level, just vaguely horse-shaped swathes of color dashing along her blotting vision, it’s obvious that the tone of their gait is joyous – playful - especially the brightly colored one in front.

”So I’m not the only childish one.” She grins, watching as the stranger leaps and capers and eventually settles into a loose gathering among the other smudges. They seem intent on something, slowly moving around each other, and before the sensible half of her brain has time enough to be disgusted by her utter lack of caution the rosey grey is moving forward at a leggy trot, her charcoal ears cupped forward in curiosity.

She does have discretion enough not to charge straight into the action, slowing and drifting to one side as the figures become clear and their features discernible. Some have wings, some have horns, some have both, and all kinds of decoration are visible across their backs and brows, gold and opalescent glass shimmering beautifully in the light of day.

”Hello." She chimes to the smallest of the group, hovering at a polite distance from where he stands, the two of them slightly apart from everyone else. ”Do you know what they're doing?" Something to do with the snow is obvious enough, but if she had to guess she'd wager there's a ritual to it, the way the playful stallion rolls and stacks it just so making it seem rehearsed, his digging through the drifts confident with some unknown-to-her surety.

”speak”
@Tamran
No Matter How Far
Image Credit

Eden

Eden

pretty

Dusted with star matter and borne upon tides of nature, hers is the beauty of wild places.

It was the first time that she had seen snow since she left the mountain temple that she had called home for so much of her short life. The sensation of bittersweet nostalgia battled with the overwhelming sense of joy that set her amber eyes aflame - the past and the present had circled to meet her here within the Eleutheria Plain, memories of foalhood mixing with new beginnings and faithful companions. There was something about snow that brought out the youthful side in anyone, that eased the weight of responsibility from shoulders and let a creature breathe with new freedom.

Turning her gaze to her left, the striped paladin grinned widely at the hulking form of Leviathan at her side as they crossed the border into the snow blanketed plain. Eden still wasn't quite used to the stallion's new skin, but she had to admit that if he was handsome before while dressed in black, he painted a striking picture in cream and gold. Moving so as to bump his muscled shoulder with her own, the lass swung her wildflwoer adorned head toward a group of equines in the near distance, "Do you want to build a snow man or do you want to get pummeled by my expert snowball throwing skills?"

For the first time since Solterra had lost it's Commandant, she felt whole. 

pretty

@Leviathan sO short but so sweet

Avdotya

It was not often that Avdotya ventured far from the sands of Solterra, but it was even less common for her to willingly set hoof in winter snow. The chill that it sent crawling beneath her skin left a horrid scowl upon pursed lips, perpetuating the ever-sour expression her face so often portrayed. Even with the thick bearskin draped across her back, she felt no warmth here and she cursed Tempus for it.

In spite of her foul mood, the woman pressed on with fluid conviction. There was information blowing on the breeze that she sought to confirm and the cold would not stop her... a particularly strange scene, on the other hand, was enough to create a delay.

Avdotya paused at the sight of a small gathering forming just ahead. They were playing with the snow, creating figures out of it as though it were something to actually enjoy rather than abhor. Children, she spat under her breath. She lingered on the sidelines for some time before she noted the pair of horses nearby, one being exceptionally small in comparison to the rest of the those around them. "Wasting time." Avdotya hissed to Adelheid as she slithered closer, stealing away the boy's chance to answer her himself.

Didn't any of them have actual tasks to attend to?

@adelheid @tamran 

image © rhiaan

Rostislav

Fuckin' cold. I mean I've got some serious blubber on me to keep me warm in the winter but that doesn't mean I like it. How many Russians do you know that want to go to Siberia, huh? None. Except the crazies but they're their own breed. The rest of us get shoved out there and no one likes it. Duh. So with all this snow whirling around me, the deep snow with my hooves crunching down on it... Yuck. I glance back at Damaris who trails faithfully behind me. She's not a fan of the snow either - we tend to bond over it.

Of course I hate it Rostislav, but try not to be a complete grump. Look, there are others. I look back ahead and see she's right. I don't know many of them of course; only two of them are familiar to me. One, whose name I don't recall - a golden thing. Then there's Avdotya. I stare with hard eyes. A frosty crust as hard and cold as the world around me covers my heart. She was one of the two to take me from Denocte as a prisoner for the Sun Court. I manage to swallow a snarl, but Damaris has already begun growling for the both of us. 'Shh - let's not stir anything up with... witnesses.'

We both silently agree to try to calm the fire in our hearts, and move a little distance from the gathering of horses. They all are building... snowmen. And other interesting creatures. Damaris and I stop and stare at the snow. "I'm glad we have a little telekinesis here, or building anything with snow would be more than a little difficult." A gruff laugh escapes Damaris's jaws, and I begin to gather the snow together. Building into balls with my mind, Damaris uses her snout and paws to help shape the snow.

A snowman begins to form....
Tag: y'all.
Rosti thoughts | "Rosti speech" | Damaris mindspeak

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Played by Offline Rae [PM] Posts: 301 — Threads: 41
Signos: 15
Inactive Character

It is a beautiful day. The world is soft and cold and, white-skinned, thick-skinned, he feels as though he fits here better than the desert. It is not just the landscape but the time of year that embraces him- Winter has always suited his sullen nature.

At first glance the snowy landscape seems sleepy, all the animals smartly tucked away. But if you know where and how to look, signs of life are everywhere. Tracks of all sizes criss-cross in the freshly fallen snow, and the scent of other passerbys lingers- fur caught on naked bushes, feline-marked trees, a dead carcass not too far away.

He walks in the path another horse has carved for him- it is easier than trudging through fresh snow. He has no destination, the thought of losing himself once more had seized him and without much hesitation he obeyed. It surprises him when he sees the one who carved the forementioned trail stopped not far ahead, attention fixed on something just out of Eik's view. He does not falter in his stride, neither does he slow. He simply keeps walking, head now drawn a little higher and ears perked forward in cautious interest.

Eik draws up to the gathering, eyes narrowing at the scene before him. The horses here are... playing with the snow, forming shapes out of it like some strange ritual. Others look as confused as he, and one- Avdotya, looks predictably irate. He is surprised to find he recognizes a few faces here, and realizes it is his first time in the company of all four courts.

It seems sacriligeous to join in the ceremony without understanding what is going on, despite the lighthearted mood in the air. So he simply stands near the edge of the gathering and watches, head tilted in calm interest.

-     -     -
There is no better way to know us
E I K
than as two wolves, come separately to a wood

flerp

Time makes fools of us all

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »