Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - of cloudless climes and starry skies

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Messalina

I
t had been many months since she had last wandered the halls of a castle. Strangely, Messalina found that she did not miss it as much as she thought she would. Memories—unnecessary memories—assailed her thoughts at every turn, and the hollow clop, clop of her hooves on the polished marble floor echoed ominously through the vacant halls. Dawn’s ascent had yet to come, the sun still sound asleep as winter’s darkness dragged on; its presence had instilled a drowsiness, a reluctance to rise from a toasty bed, in even the mighty Oriens himself.

The pale-pelted girl felt almost like a thief creeping through the shadows, the faint light emanating from the torches above her flickering as she warily walked ever further into the depths of the castle. This is not turning out to be one of my better ideas, she admitted to herself, tongue pressed lightly against the roof of her mouth as she considered retracing her steps and slipping out as swiftly as she had slipped in. Yet…

It was not as if she’d actually snuck into the castle. She was not fool enough for that. The guard at the gate had given her a drowsy nod and moved aside after she’d shown him the scrawled note the old sage had written. The castle’s library was open to all citizens of Delumine who sought to explore its wealth of knowledge, and having exhausted the sage’s own musty library (a fact that painfully reminded her how dull her everyday life was now) he’d suggested for her to visit the Court’s vast library one day if she wished. Her interest peaked, one day turned out to be the next day, and after promising her employer she’d collect some knowledge for him as well, he’d grumpily written her a note in the wee hours of the morning.

After reminding herself of the trouble she’d gone to, Messalina couldn’t turn back. Her braids lay heavy against her slender neck, further solidifying her resolve. The girl had primped and preened herself for hours the night before, and her flowing locks were plaited into an elaborate lace and dutch masterpiece. It was partially why she was here so early—she’d never been able to sleep well on the eve of an important day, and entering Delumine’s inner court meant possible encounters with nobles. Messalina would never be caught dead looking anything less than noble herself in their presence.

Now, if only she could locate the library… the layout of this grand, ivy-covered citadel was entirely different than Algernon’s, and the dimly lit corridors aided her little in her search. As she turned down another hall identical to the first, she flinched with a start as her cerulean eyes fell upon the unexpected sight of another. Winged and regal in his carriage, the mysterious figure looked to be absorbed in whatever he was doing. He seems like he belongs here, with the confidence in which he walks, she mused. Steps quickening, Messalina drew closer towards the golden stallion, his coat glowing entrancingly under the torchlight. "Pardon me sir, but would you be so kind as to direct me towards this castle’s library?” she inquired, eyes lowered as she dipped her crown in greeting.
frozen hearts growing colder with time
@Somnus
Messa kind of ambushes poor Somnus x'D 

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

Somnus

To put it bluntly, he was exhausted.

Sleep had not come easily for the tactician. His thoughts were troubled, plagued from bouts of inactivity that would drive him from the deep recesses of the citadel library to his very own quarters, pouring over manuscripts and ancient texts in search of his answers, before backtracking to seek old wisdom from another ancient text. He was simply searching for answers, of Novus’ elusive history, as well as Oriens and the other deities. Somnus was, after all, a knowledge-seeker, priding himself on his keen, brilliant mind, and could hardly stand any form of ambiguity.

It was early. Far too early for any right mind to be out and wandering the hallways of mortar and ivy, but Somnus was distressed. Antsy. He needed to move, to walk, to think, to get his mind on straight before the sun overtook the world and he would be needed in handling matters of the Court. Caelum had been distant. The thought of the starborn prince pulled uncertainly at his heart, anxiously, causing him to fret over things he wouldn’t have normally bat an eyelash at. Had he done something unwarranted? Behaved inappropriately?

“Come now, Somnus,” he muttered gruffly, the richness of his accent deepened by exhaustion, “Don’t be foolish.” He was, always, a gentleman. Obsessed with perfection and his political appearance, Somnus hardly let his mastered façade down. There were few that he could simply relax around; Ulric, Florentine, Caelum… Maybe. Kasil was growing on that list, but his King was just that; his King. It was the golden tactician’s purpose to serve the Dawn King to the best of his abilities, and a task that he did not take lightly.

It was those doubts, those wonderings and need to simply move lest he become victim to his own dark thoughts, that sought him pacing through the hallways. His pace was purposeful, yet leisurely. He knew these halls intimately, walking them countless times a day and night, each step made with considerable poise and grace. It was telling, then, that he was unaware of another approaching, so lost in his own thoughts and musings.

At the voice that beckoned through the empty, frigid air, distinctly female, Somnus paused, keen verdant eyes lifting to rest upon an unfamiliar form, illuminated by torch light. A stranger she was, but her scent spoke only of the forests of Delumine, and so he knew that he needn’t be alarmed that she may pose as some stranger with ill intent. Ulric did not need to be alerted, then. A pale maiden she was, ivory speckled with rich cream dapples, like a new canvas flicked with a paintbrush. Her eyes, a rich, vibrant blue, caught his attention, and despite it all, he smiled softly.

Golden ears twisted forward, emerald depths inquisitive as he regarded the young woman standing before him. “The library?” He inquired, tilting his head curiously. Exhaustion gave way beneath the force of intrigue. “Certainly. I am headed that way, and would be happy to guide you.” Mottled amber wings furled close to the dunalino’s side to be tucked out of the way, and he dipped his head in a motion that said ‘follow’. Only when he was certain that she would, Somnus’s hooves guided him further down the hallway, his pace far slower than it had once been.

“It’s not often I encounter others within the citadel at this hour,” he mused, glancing sidelong at the pale lady, “Nor one seeking the library. Here I thought it was the usual haunt of myself and His Majesty.” He smiled again, wistful and yearning, and the expression was accompanied by a warm chuckle. “Apologies. I’m rather out of sorts at the moment. My name is Somnus. I don’t believe I’ve had the honor to yet meet your acquaintance.”

@Messalina <3

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Messalina

A
faint smile touched her lips as the aurum-skinned man responded to her inquiry with a refinement Messalina had not seen since fleeing Algernon. As his lilting accent graciously agreed to lead her to the obscure library, the ivory girl bowed in thanks. "I am grateful for your kindness.” 

Demurely, she followed after him as he strode purposefully down the dim hallway, his pace naturally falling in sync with her own. Curious, she snuck a sidelong glance at the man as he looked away, frost-blue eyes tracing the spiral of his onyx horn. Vaguely, his noble features and discerning emerald eyes echoed of another she’d known long ago, though she’d only ever greeted him in passing—the late Prince Filippe.

She looked away again, frowning at her recollection. It was not the time to dredge up old memories—the solemn citadel was so different, yet the atmosphere was so hauntingly familiar it was playing tricks on her mind. Thankfully, a sonorous voice pulled her from her desolation. "It is a rather odd time to visit, I confess. But I assure you that I hope not to make a habit of storming castles before daybreak,” she quipped, tugging the corners of her lips into a pensive smile. Messalina's gaze slipped from his as she fixed it forwards, listening amusedly to his remark.

"Delumine’s library is so renowned, I found it difficult to sleep a wink in anticipation. Ah, but that makes it seem like I lead quite a tedious life, feeling excitement for dusty tomes.” The girl’s smile brightened as a light chuckle escaped from her normally stoic composure. "Though it is true—my days have slowed considerably ever since I arrived here.” More words pressed at her tongue; but a switch that'd been unknowingly flipped instantly returned to its rightful state inside her, and Messalina caught herself before her entire life story could slip from her traitorous mouth. Mother’s piercing glare at the back of her mind sobered her instantly—what was she doing, so uncharacteristically loose-lipped?

"A pleasure to meet you, Somnus.” Strangely, the name weighed at her. Somnus, Somnus. Why was that name so familiar? Cerulean orbs widened in surprise when she realized. "You are the regent?” Before he could answer, Messalina's expression had morphed seamlessly into the pleasant mask that slipped over her visage in the presence of nobility. She couldn't keep it off—old habits simply refused to die.

"The honor is mine. I am Messalina, a humble commoner of your Court,” came her perfected, lilting reply.
frozen hearts growing colder with time
@Somnus
I've never written that much dialogue for her before ;0; 

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

Somnus

There was something about this pale maiden that captivated Somnus’ interest and chased away his previous lethargy, pulling him from the final dredges of exhaustion and into keen awareness. What was it? How positively peculiar. Very few had the honor to say they had so instantly piqued his curiosity before. Perhaps it was the familiar spark in her eyes, bright and insatiable with a passionate desire to learn, to educate oneself on the vast workings of the world? The yearning for a deeper understanding? It was hard to say, but he was never one to be presumptuous, and certainly wouldn’t start now.

Instead, he allowed himself to simply fall into step with her, continuing his sidelong scrutiny before his knowing verdant gaze drifted forward to the dark mortar hall ahead. She was a pretty thing, all nimble pale alabaster mottled with rich, creamy speckles. Her vocals were melodious to his ears, a welcome reprieve from the grumbling lilt of his own voice when musing aloud, and her tone was that of an accomplished scholar. The words that left her pale lips, however, only solidified that fact. Unbidden the regent smiled, dark lips turning upwards as his keen emerald eyes slid once more to focus on her.

“I can assure you that you are not the only one storming these halls so brazenly, ma’am,” he stated with a hearty chuckle, unable to help it, “So worry not, mm? Those who call Delumine home are welcome at any time within these walls.” But then, she was going on, rambling in a way that Somnus welcomed, that pleased him, his heart warming to hear her eagerness and adoration. It was nice, sharing his space and mind with someone else who held knowledge so dear. It wasn’t often that his intellectual mind could be properly stimulated, and already, perhaps foolishly, he could already see he and this young scholar engaging in many debates of knowledge and learning. Would that she be willing to indulge him. “Our library is one of great pride, as well as one of our greatest treasures. I loathe to say the words, but those in other courts call us foolish for it.” And a pox on the lot of them.

Introductions were had, and the Delumine second learned her name. Messalina. He filed her name away, memorizing her face and her voice just as he did with every new individual he crossed paths with. Her reverence humbled him, but Somnus was never one to handle such focus. “I am,” the golden tactician stated warmly, eyes dancing as they continued their leisurely trek through the hallways. Somnus took the lead upon a fork, turning right, knowing that just a little ways up ahead and up a flight of steps they would find the famed library. “But, please, I am hardly anything special. Just a man, really.”

His gaze found Messalina’s icy, vibrant blue, and the warmth in his accented vocals remained. “Come now, Messalina, the honor is truly mine. I assure you. But I appreciate your kindness all the same.”

From there, Somnus grew quiet and allowed his thoughts to drift, mulling over his schedule for the day. He would be busy come the true daybreak, between meeting with Kasil, Ipomoea, Ulric, and the others, but for now, he did not mind Messalina’s intriguing company. In fact, it was more than welcome. Through the hallways they went until arriving at the library, and the regent pushed open the doors without preamble. The scent of ancient tomes and old books permeated the air, wrapping around him like the caress of a familiar lover, and with a deep breath Somnus stepped inside, trusting that Messalina would follow. All around them rows upon rows of books were orderly stored, the shelves all tall and filled to the brim. It was a grand library, full of the deepest knowledge of Novus. Somnus liked to think that if there was a question, the answer was here, in their precious library.

Turning his head back to regard Messalina, he nodded.  “Here we are.”

@Messalina – I’m the worst and I’m so sorry that this took me forever and a day to respond to. ;-;

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!