Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - Starscape

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Noctiilucent

From the sea she ventured forth, spilling vapor from her maw. Noctiilucent had decided it was time to move on from aimless wandering to something more concrete. It had not been long that she existed in a strange new world, that seemed to be absent of deities. Time had yet to speak to her what was in store. It would not relinquish its secrets without a fight, and often the flow of time dictated the events. Noctii had to wonder if the unyielding demeanor of time had anything to do with the future, as though it were perhaps planned out. Perhaps this had been her destiny from the moment she grew into existence. It was these questions without answers like these that perturbed her and cast her thoughts into the void of heaven above. The sky was endless, as endless as the existential questions she frequently found herself pondering. These ruminations ceased when she spotted a peculiar formation in the distance. It stood rigid against the vividly painted sky and stood in contrast to the snow that had tucked the earth beneath it. Its hollow chasms leered at her from atop its perch. Noctii was tempted to avoid this formation but was simultaneously drawn to.

Her frame moved with a minimal effort across the snow and ice covered terrain. Her fluid movements spoke of how versed she was in moving across difficult topography. The minx that was splashed with alabaster seas made a decisive approach. The empty chasms of the structure beckoned for her to drift close enough to be swallowed alive. Noctii peered straight ahead as she moved until her daggers struck the worn stone. Her gaze dripped downward to feast upon the ice that crawled across the masonry. Just as the seaside had been still, so was this place. At least from the outside looking in. Noctii felt a strange pulling for her to keep moving, though not a soul sprung from the earth nearby. It was like peering into the starscape overhead, barren, cold, and lonely. It was simultaneously beautiful, splashed with dustings of galaxies and nebulas. The artist responsible for the canvas in this new land was just as expert as the one of Reth. The alabaster spires that protruded from her face aided in pulling her head back upright. They were heavier than her skull alone, and she often used them to gain momentum when moving her visage.

Her long tendrils draped themselves over the land beneath her feet, sweeping debris beside her as she moved. "Hello?" She called into the vast emptiness around her, denying the beckon of the hollow chasms to her left.

"Speech"

Words: 440
Tags: Open | @Reichenbach 
Notes: Okay joining post! c:

Hold onto Me
When you think you're sinking

Reichenbach

he'll rekindle all the dreams
you took a lifetime to destroy

From the shadows he watched her, long lashed eyes slightly narrowed, his vast frame as still as the stone walls around him. Reichenbach often watched the arrivals from the coast, for they offered the most interesting — the most threatening of visitors. Some came with items, heavily trussed merchants smiling underneath the weight of their wares, pleased to have made it to one of the most diverse markets within their world. Others came with the shadows of a past clinging to their hair, their skin mottled by memories they were so desperately trying to escape — some even fell into Novus through the skies, confused and agitated at the losses they suffered. 

This woman simply walked in — curious, wary, perhaps somewhat lost as her glacial eyes drifted over Calligo's stars. His own gaze followed hers, admiring the canvas of starfire and shadows, his great heart thudding rhythmically. The newcomer drew ever closer as his argent eyes trailed over every line of her elegant frame, her movements strong and certain, the brittle winter air brushing past her silver-dark hair, brightening the vivid turquoise of her eyes. Reich cocked his head slightly, feeling the brush of his own ebony curls against his muscular neck, the shadows coiling around him lazily. 

Finally there came the expected...

"Hello?"

How many encounters had began the same way? Reich grinned, pleased, moving easily from the shadows and into the moonlight, casting his mahogany skin black and limned with silver. His roguish face settled into a charming smile, an inescapable grin made from a little bit of chaos, a dash of mischief and the enthralling authenticity of The Night King. 

"Greetings."

Was his own, simple response. His voice was musical, a baritone grin given life, melodic and yet utterly masculine. Nothing followed his simple greeting but an expectant smile lingering about the corners of his black lips as the stars glinted lovingly off of his golden earrings and coins. 

@Noctiilucent sorry for lack of dialogue, he's much more talkative after introductions I promise haha

space

Noctiilucent

Noctiilucent had felt their eyes long before they made an approach. There was a scent that drifted on the breeze that she could not place. She could only identify the smell of smoke, and the other scents that mingled were much more pungent. It wasn't an unpleasant smell, but it certainly was a unique one. He approached her, glided right into her world like a vision. His charcoal hair filled with brilliant, but gentle curls. His ochre frame that had muscle chiseled expertly beneath his flesh. Then her gaze fell upon his own eyes, two depthless pools of mercury. Noctii found his presence mesmerizing, and she couldn't help but stare. It was as though he defined a gentle approach, but was simultaneously a certain aesthetic she had no word for. He offered her a simple greeting, and she found herself nearly to awestruck by his expert approach. Really his design was simplistic, but she was drawn to his presence alone. Noctii struggled to regain some composure but floundered beneath his gaze which trailed over her bodice. The wind that blew his hair swept hers back, the hair that dangled just a half inch from the ground. She lacked the elegant curls that swirled gently along his nape, instead, she had an abundance of length to her own hair. With that length came great weight.

Noctii was so lost in her own head, she'd forgotten that he'd responded to her. A formal sort of greeting if she recalled correctly. This hadn't been the first time she'd found herself captivated by the appearance of someone. She further doubted it would be the last. " Sorry, I'm not sure why but I forgot how to speak for a few moments there." She spoke, but it was not nearly as well put together as her usual pattern of speech. It was almost as if she stammered in his presence. He was equal in height compared to her. Noctiilucent did not feel frightened, but she could not place this sensation. She mentally shook herself off, urging herself quickly to find out where she was. "I've come from the shores of the winter sea. I'm not quite sure where it is I am, or truthfully where I'm going. This realm is so vast and foreign to me. I have drifted a great distance from my homeland in search of a new life. Not that you need the story of a stranger... I'm not sure why your presence gives me such compulsion to share these things with you.. but it does." Noctii admitted in a bewildered fashion, studying his smile she also couldn't read this.

Something visceral spoke to her, and she wished she spoke the language to understood what it was telling her. The bloke was enchanting, and all he'd practically said was hello. Noctii felt her wariness creep in, recalling that Solomnus had been similarly enchanting. Her mesmerized gaze flickered to something more akin to caution as she peered upon him. He was true elegance draped in the robes of mahogany, but she could not allow herself to fall for another trick. Not at the hands of the immortals once again. She would not be made a fool of by them, not again. "Perhaps... it's enchanting. I could feel your eyes burning across my flesh long before you made your appearance... Who are you?" Noctii inquired in a cautious, but thoughtful tone. It wasn't as though she could possibly know he'd been watching her. Noctii wasn't even sure if it was a perpetual feeling of being watched that lingered on her flesh from past memories. Physical memories that would not depart, but were equally invisible to outsiders.

"Speech"
Notes: That's alright! I'm still trying to figure her out ! 
Tags: @Reichenbach 
Words: 611

Hold onto Me

Reichenbach

" Sorry, I'm not sure why but I forgot how to speak for a few moments there."

Amusement lingered in his gaze at the words, his smile easy and graceless. There was a sense that she was overwhelmed, uncertainty shifting in her bones at either his approach or her position — a sense that she was on uneven ground. Reichenbach simply watched, noticing every shift and stammer as he had always done, his smile unfaltering. 

"I've come from the shores of the winter sea. I'm not quite sure where it is I am, or truthfully where I'm going. This realm is so vast and foreign to me. I have drifted a great distance from my homeland in search of a new life. Not that you need the story of a stranger... I'm not sure why your presence gives me such compulsion to share these things with you.. but it does."

At that he conceded a small laugh, silver eyes bright through the inky darkness — he'd never considered that his presence alone was enough to sway or compel someone to talk. A dark finger brushed against his mind, saying in his own gods-damned voice What of Florentine? What of Aislinn? Did you think they fell in love with you for your wit? But he pushed the thought aside, choosing to ignore the question and the implications that came with it hand in hand. Shadows curled at his nape as he watched ice blue eyes turn cautious — not damning, but wary. 

"The Winter Sea... You're from Reth? Or thereabouts."

He asked, a memory stirring. A man had once passed through from The Breath of the Sun, golden skinned and dark haired, some ex-soldier, he'd sat with Reich when he'd been younger and told him stories — soldier to soldier, before the crown had sat upon his wild haired head. He peered at the newcomer now, noting the colouring of her — all children of the sun were painted in his visage. Reich cocked his head a little, grinning as he considered all things the Kingdom of Reth held dear. Love and passion, violence and beauty — all things that ruled The Night King, too.

"Reichenbach," he answered her simply, "King of Denocte and The Night Court — the city you stand within now." King of both the underworld and the Courtly one, a King of Thieves and shadows and stars. 

"... and who are you, stranger from Reth? It is not often The Children of the Sun find their way here — though I must say I'm pleased to house you. I find your values... similarly important."

@Noctiilucent <3
space

Noctiilucent

Noctiilucent had been appreciative of the few quiet moments that passed between them. The calm demeanor of the stag was intriguing to her in a way. There was a wild sort of chaos to him, and yet he stood like a finely carved sculpture before her. His eyes danced with amusement and mischief. Nocti had known the look well, it was one she had worn in her youth. Noctiilucent too appreciated his smile nearly as much as his scent. He was in all senses of the description for an anticipated storm. His next words shattered her sense of serenity. The world around her splintered as if the world around her had been made of glass. The illusion of large cracks in the horizon formed before her and the world fell away. Her pupils dilated at the mention of her homeland, his fond tones as he spoke of Reth. Noctiilucent could feel her heart speed up, but she maintained most of her composure. Crumbling before a foreign creature would do her homeland an injustice. No matter how she felt about Reth now, it would always be her home and continue to influence who she was. "Yes, I am of Reth. I am the Ashes of the Sun by title. Told that I had been blessed by Solomnus, and punished by Xamis." Noctiilucent explained, though did not indulge him the details of her past.

The mysterious stranger allowed her to know his name. Reichenbach. Noctiilucent finally had a name for this city she'd found herself in. Before the king, and her feelings of unease crept up once more. Her intrigued demeanor had quickly shifted from casual to guarded. "I'd be sore to think that Xamis had sent you to punish me. You are the second king I have found myself before in my life." She murmured distantly to him. Her focus was still on him, but her mind drifted to the fond memories of her beloved friend. He had been taken from her violently by Xamis, there was no doubt in the Gods of Reth. "Noctiilucent." Nocti introduced herself, focused intently on his words when he spoke again. He knew of their moniker, and she could hardly be surprised. The inhabitants of Reth were familiar with their alleged notoriety that surpassed distance effortlessly. 

He spoke again with a strange fondness as if he'd had some connection before meeting her. Noctis's abrupt cold demeanor returned to one of intrigue. It was still guarded, but her interest had not been thwarted by his knowledge of her home. "I can't say that I am surprised that you know of us. It was a commonly held belief that our domain's reputation quashed distance. Yet still, do I sense a familiarity with your words for Reth? As for similar values, perhaps this is what I am looking for. I abandoned my home in Reth and left my Gods behind to start over. I can't dream of thrusting my life into a completely foreign realm. I am far to acquainted with violence and aesthetic to be able to acclimate elsewhere. I apologize for my caution, I am hesitant to ask for a home from you until I know if you have heard of my past. That is something I have chosen to abandon."

"Speech"
Notes: I'm so sorry for the wait! I am really excited you included some of her history into the thread <3 I'd love for her to befriend Reich ^^
Tags: @Reichenbach 
Words: 545

Hold onto Me

Reichenbach

Her reaction to Reth was subtle — but a King of Thieves noticed everything, for anything could be used when you knew what to look for. He considered the reaction, but pressed it away to mull over later. It wasn't unusual for travellers to react strangely to tales of their homeland, for most were either escaping it or trying to return to it, some loved their birthplace and others despised it. 

Still, he could not help but to raise his brows minutely at her title — Ashes of the Sun, blessed and cursed by Solomnus and Xamis. Reichenbach knew little about their Gods, only the reverence with which the Children of the Sun lived and died, and the strictness of their rule. Ultimately, he wasn't surprised when her eyes turned guarded, carefully revealing only what she wanted him to know, a warrior not only of the body but also the mind. He had always appreciated the way others could hide their emotions, provide a guarded slate in place of the emotion that flickered through his argent eyes — but had never envied them. His was a life of vitality and truth, there would be little use in hiding his emotions.

Noctiilucent.

He repeated the name in his head, rolled it over his tongue until he was certain he could pronounce it correctly, memorising it as he did all new members of the Court. Her voice was similar to the soldier he had met — precise, polite and capable. She had been made a warrior by Reth and it's Gods, a runaway soldier searching for a place to start anew. It was all he knew of her, despite the obvious past that haunted her steps — and so he said as much;

"I'm afraid I have not heard of your past — all I know of Reth I learned from an ex-soldier, who told me his own stories of The Children of the Sun... nothing of a Noctiilucent, nor of a daughter of Reth named Ashes of the Sun"

His words were careful, considering. Denocte was home to so many that had chosen to run from the path life had presented them, they housed all kinds — from the warriors like Noctiilucent to criminals and castaways. If Noctiilucent wanted her past to stay in the past, she had stumbled upon the right place. He told her so, his voice deep and genuine;

"If you have chosen to abandon your past, Denocte is the right place to start anew. The bonfires will be blazing tonight, as they do most nights... perhaps you would like to join myself and my partner, Isorath, so that we may show you the wonders our City of Stars?"

His head cocked slightly at the question, a pleased smile hovering about the corners of his black lips as he awaited her answer.

@Noctiilucent yay they are so cute!! I would love for them to be friends!! Also tagging @Isorath for the mention xx

space

Noctiilucent

Noctiilucent was starting to get the feeling that Reichenbach was a clever being, he did not change his demeanor nearly as drastically as she had. But there was a flicker of recognition in his features, or maybe she had imagined it. The king admitted to her that he knew nothing of her past and that his connection with Reth was another former soldier. Noctiilucent's curiosity swam into her features, she could hardly contain it. Her curiosity had led her down many perilous paths in her life. Yet she still fell to its temptation each time it attempted to consume her. "I don't believe that my past being absent from your knowledge is unfortunate by any means. It's better you form your own opinion of me than what you hear from the mouths spat by those who may have ill intentions. No one is free of bias no matter how much they preach and shriek they are." Noctii spoke cooly, but the bitter tones were not intended for the smoke-scented king. Her voice remained hushed for a few more moments, trying to delay the gratification of indulging her curiosity. "Do you recall this son's name?" The golden maiden asked him, her hunger for knowledge clear in the way she asked him. Noctiilucent never dared to sound disrespectful to others, even when her questions came as sharp as the violent claws of some predatory monstrosity.

Reichenbach told her next that if she came to abandon her past, that Denocte was the proper place for it. She was to be embraced by a foreign entity, and accept that she would lose her identity as a Daughter of Reth. At least to everyone but the king. A smile tugged at the corners of her lips, but it was coy in nature. The irony of this fact amused her. She'd accepted her loss of identity long before leaving her homeland. The ochre bronc invited her to stroll the streets of the night with his partner, Isorath. Noctiilucent had made up her mind in these few moments that he spoke. The king simply accepted her wishes, though she had a feeling he may be curious about this mysterious past of hers. The waves of his hair fell to the whim of gravity as he tilted his head when finishing his question for her. "In celebration of a symbolic rebirth, then yes. I'm honored to accept your offer and look forward to meeting your partner. I don't believe you'd keep unpleasant company.  Yet I would speculate we're both equally curious about the other. I will indulge you alone in tales of Reth if you wish. But they are not to be spoken into the ears of another. An example of my trust to you, please swear to tread cautiously with my trust, and I will ensure my undying loyalty and ferocity to and for Denocte."

"Speech"
Notes: Awesome! Sorry again for the delay. Thank you for being patient! I'm also totally down for Isorath jumping in if you'd both like! But tagging for the mention as well <3
Tags: @Reichenbach  @Isorath 
Words: 478

Hold onto Me

Reichenbach

Again, those words spoken so precisely — he wondered if all in Reth spoke the same. Wisdom seemed to escape her like smoke, though she hardly appeared to notice how philosophical she sounded. She'd have made a good Sage... perhaps still could, even while pursuing the path of warrior. Many pathways lay before the old child of Reth now — Reichenbach was curious which the child of the sun would choose. 

"I'm afraid not... I can tell you he had golden skin and black hair — though I suppose that hardly narrows down your search."

He smiled, easily apologetic and yet buoyant. 

"In celebration of a symbolic rebirth, then yes. I'm honored to accept your offer and look forward to meeting your partner. I don't believe you'd keep unpleasant company.  Yet I would speculate we're both equally curious about the other. I will indulge you alone in tales of Reth if you wish. But they are not to be spoken into the ears of another. An example of my trust to you, please swear to tread cautiously with my trust, and I will ensure my undying loyalty and ferocity to and for Denocte."

The Night King felt his smile broaden to a grin, nodding his head slightly in agreement as she spoke;

"I would like that. First, I will show you Denocte — then we can return to the Keep and fill our bellies while you tell me of Reth."

He paused, watching her solemnly for a moment before adding;

"What loyalty you give here you will find returned tenfold, we're a nation used to protecting our own."

Then, the solemnity was gone, replaced by an amused smile and a gesture for Noctii to follow as he turned and began walking toward the starlit city, the jingle of coins quiet but insistent.

Reich glanced toward Noctiilucent briefly, saying conversationally:

"My own story isn't hard to hear, just ask any in Denocte."

@Noctiilucent <3 After your reply did you want to start a new one with Isorath? 

space

Noctiilucent

The smoke scented king did not know the son of Reth's name. At least not any longer. Noctii shook her head in response to his answer, leaving the question to die upon the ground they stood on. They were much like the other children, their coat a golden hue and their mane had been black. That did not tell her much, only that he looked like many of the other children of Reth. His easy smile was met with one of her own polite smiles, she wasn't disappointed. It could be hard to keep track, and even then some creatures faded into the horizons never to be seen again. Her new king seemed enthused by her next set of words and insisted upon showing her the kingdom, Denocte. His head bobbed easily, it was an effortless movement, but one that showed enthusiasm. Noctii laughed gently, her wordless approval of his buoyant movements. "That sounds like a wonderful plan. The tales of Reth will take a great amount of time to share. From the many gods to the fierce customs they boast with each child born of from their Domain." Reichenbach's next words were slightly more serious, they were a balanced vow to her that his and the loyalty of Denocte would be returned tenfold.

She bowed her head for a few moments as she allowed his words to sink into her depths. She did not falter when his movements began, her own movements were like a familiar dance. The golden and ivory minx drifted beside him, gliding across the foreign terrain as though she'd been born upon the very sediments that coated the ground. "That is a sentiment I am greatly familiar with. I vow to strike the fire of the sun into our enemies. Though I may be vain, my love and dedication for home surpass any superficial qualities I bear." Noctii laughed slightly. She was aware of her vanity, and that much of her vanity stemmed from the culture of Reth. They valued beauty as much as ferocity. "They wished us to be as beautiful as we were ferocious. 'To set ablaze each foe with the anguish and wrath of the sun, we will make them smolder and wish they had never met the Children of the Xamis'. They said." With each word that fell from her ivory lips, she felt a sense of loss for her homeland too. She knew that no matter how much she swam against their current, her former home did have evoked some fond feelings from her.

Noctii returned his sidelong glance with interest as they moved toward what she assumed was Denocte. "Why shall I ask any of Denocte, when I can ask the man who lived his own tale?" Her eyes twinkled as she challenged him in a playful manner. Each step they took excited her, each fall of her daggers was another move towards her future here. What fortune she'd had to meet another King who had captivated her attention, and had simultaneously saddened her. She felt the longing for her old friend and yearned to introduce Reichenbach to her old friend. Yet he no longer existed. A quiet fell over her, and she continued on with the smoke-scented King. Wherever that would lead. 

"Speech"
Notes: Sounds good! Sorry for such a long delay. Did you want to start the new thread to pick up where we leave off here?
Tags: @Reichenbach  @Isorath 
Words: 544

Hold onto Me