Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - london bridge is falling DOWN [relic contest]

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Rostislav

I'm broken, lying helpless, shattered,
surrounded by the world

Remember that time when I said I wasn't comfortable with my own mortality? That's still true. BUT! BUTT! See what I did there? Okay focus Rosti. That is still true, however upon further exploration of the cliffs I found a path. It took a lot of wandering, but sure enough I am stepping carefully down a winding path that leads me from the treacherous (read: very high, big drop) ledge. Under the bright sun I can see the crash of the waves on the shore, lining up one after one from the rushing sea. The salty air hits me hard, forcing my senses to get with the picture, so to speak. It takes a little while but I finally reach the bottom and feel the sand around my hooves. The heat from the sun warms the frogs of my feet but somehow it is more comfortable than not.

I walk to the shore and find myself distracted from the relic search as I step into the waves that wash upon the beach. A moment of inspiration, spontaneity... whatever... I drop to my knees and roll there in the light water and damp sand. Coating myself in sand and brine was not part of my day's plan, but then nothing is going according to any 'plan' these days. I'm traveling the whole of this damn place it seems like, with no idea WHAT I'm really searching for -- literally and metaphorically. I'd be lying if I said I knew or understood.

A grin passes across my lips and for a moment I feel... kinda good. Not happy, content, satisfied... none of that. I have no alcohol (I haven't had time to gather fruit yet) and I don't have Damaris (let's not even talk about it) and I don't really know anyone except these brief introductions I've had along the way. But for a SPLIT SECOND... kinda good. To my surprise it lingers as I rise from the ground and continue along the shore, meandering in the breeze. My gaze wanders as I look for the relic, but casually. Just for now....

"."

Reichenbach

[Image: SnEpwRE.png]

R E I C H E N B A C H

The scent of jasmine wafted delicately through the air, reaching the ocean just before Reichenbach did. It lifted on the sharp, briny breeze and was lost to sea as the Night Court Warrior stepped to the cliffs edge, silver eyes staring out and over the everlasting horizon. He breathed it in - that familiar smell of seaweed, sand, salt, brine. He'd lived by the ocean before, for a summer that had been filled with madness and laughter, teens falling over each other in their attempt at seduction. The thought brought only half a smile to his handsome face - for those memories came tainted with shame, with regret. He could not differentiate one from the other, not when he saw red hair and freckles grinning back at him. 

The wind whipped at his ebony curls, sending them into a wildly sporadic dance, stinging his cheekbones every now and again with their slick ends. On that breeze came a familiar scent - like old booze, musk and... Solterra. A tentative light entered his eyes as he cast them downward, to the beach. There he was - Rostislav. Reichenbach grinned as he watched the jovial Solterran rolling in the damp sand, eyes flickering from him to the beach path before deciding to head downward to join his fellow warrior.

By the time he had reached the bottom Rostislav had already begun a slow wander down the shore, an unmistakably sandy figure. Reich grinned and bounced into a trot, calling out:

"As if you didn't smell enough already Rosti!"

His voice was taken by a salty breeze, winding it's way lazily toward the Solterran. Music danced in the syllables, a baritone, pleasurable sound filled with humour. 

@Rostislav

Rostislav

surrounded by the world

On the light breeze that carries the smell of salt also comes the voice of someone.. familiar. I stop in my tracks and turn my gaze toward the jokester that teases my appearance. A chuckle bubbles out at the sight of Reichenbach. The bay stallion trots toward me, clearly amused by my sandy look. I find I often provide amusement to... everyone, really. I bob my head in greeting to other stallion as I turn on my haunches and trot toward him, interest lighting my countenance. I stop when we are close away, being dramatic and sending sand spraying lightly around. "Reichenbach!" I glance over him to see he is well, and I notice the gold coins hanging from his mane are shimmering in the golden sunlight. "What -- " My tone is jovial, sarcastic. " -- are you trying to tell me this isn't my best cologne?!" Striped hooves take me dancing toward the sea. I submerge myself step by step until only my head is peeking out and, on a stormier day, the tide might have threatened to take me away.

But today is peaceful, calm, with only the light breeze to mar - if you could call it that - an otherwise motionless day. My strong legs propel me back toward the beach, and I emerge washed of sand. "Now I'm handsome as fuck!" I chuckle and shake off some of the loose droplets of water, not realizing that I might accidentally coat Reichenbach as well. "When the ladies order a Sea Breeze they can ask for an extra shot of Rostislav!" I bark out a laugh, finding my alcohol joke funnier than it probably should be. Eh bite me, I'm hilarious! Haters gon' hate, eh?

"."
WC: 283
Tag: @Reichenbach
Comments: sorry its crappyyyy

Reichenbach

R E I C H E N B A C H

There is no lack of humour as Rostislav turned and approached, his own grin matching the easy, jovial thing slung across Reich's black mouth. As the other males deep voice graced the air, that grin only grew larger, and Reich shook out his ebony mane with a chuckle of his own. 

"Perhaps not your best - but better than usual" he admitted, silver eyes alight with humour as he watched the muscular man meander toward the ocean, stepping unhesitatingly into the cool, salty water. Reich only watched as he proceeded to get deeper and deeper, a crooked smile and shake of his handsome head his only response to the depth that Rosti had walked out to - braver than most, to risk going so deep. Then again... Reich looked over the horned figure once more, running a keen eye over the hefty muscles that limned his back and neck - perhaps the ocean couldn't have washed Rostislav away so easily after all. 

Reichenbach himself had a deep and unyielding respect for the ocean, and adored a swim... when the occasion called for it. His resounding laugh flung out over the waves as Rostislav returned, his lips pulled wide in a barely concealed smile. 

"It's a wonder they aren't flocking to you" was his wry answer, a brow raising smoothly. Yet he couldn't contain the warble of laughter that escaped his throat as Rosti's joke, his eyes alight with pleasure at the company. 

"In that case, I think I'll stick to the hard liquor" he laughed, grabbing at the wet strands of Rostislav's sodden mane in a friendly tug, much like a slap on the back. "Why must you live in Solterra, Rosti? I'll admit I enjoy the heat, scalding as it is but... Denocte is surely more to your liking? Haven't you seen our gypsy girls?" his words were light, jovial, despite their less than trivial matter. Before now Reichenbach hadn't considered asking the vast man his opinion on his living status, though now that the two were closer he couldn't help but to try and tempt him back to the city of starlight.

@Rostislav

Kaladin

He had never seen the ocean before. At least, not as a mortal.

It was incredible. The moment he stepped over the last of the crags and the azure expanse came into view, he felt his breath taken away. It was so blue, in every possible shade, from a shallow aquamarine to a rich indigo, broken by dark forms of coral reefs. The rushing wind brought the smell of brine, like that of crushed leaves and fish mixed with the tang of salt. The sky was falling to grey, passing from a cheerful blue to a stormier silver as the winds came and went, threatening a storm but never truly brave enough to unleash their might. The ocean's waters broke into towering, white-rimmed waves the closer they came to shore, finally breaking in a tumbling rage upon the worn crags and abandoned corals that lined the sandbar.

He felt himself smile. He closed his eyes against the breeze, letting the very feeling of the wind against his skin take over his very being. The brief sensation was enough to send shivers down his spine. Having had his fill, he moved onwards, cautiously stepping across the rocky cliffs. Here, their elegance became a threat - they became uneven and unpredictable, and the wind threatened to tip Kaladin off his feet should he step in the wrong direction. He strode cautiously on, unfazed by the dangers, eyes rooted to the mesmerizing meadow of rippling water, beckoning to him like a promise.

He found a thin, treacherous path cut in the cliff-face, and stepped cautiously downwards, admiring the determination of whatever mortal had taken the time to chisel this river of stonework into the unforgiving crags. As he walked, he thought that if he had still been a god, and he had a relic to drop to the earth, he might have dropped it here. Indeed, he had never felt so close to his past divinity before.

He was not alone, however. As he found his way down to the short sandbar, he sighted two silhouettes in the distance, standing quite near the reaching waters. He squinted against the wind, but his mortal eyes were much too weak to recognize the strangers from here. He approached with caution, staying as hidden as he could, his flank pressed to the surrounding crags as he took in the two men upon the sea banks.

They were brutes made of war, their limbs and girths thick, their voices a deep timbre on the wind. One was mousy grey, his face bristling with a trifecta of lethal horns. The other was not quite as remarkable, but his roaned ebony hide was familiar to Kaladin. It was the man called Reichenbach. He'd given the man his respect, Kaladin recalled, if not his friendship. The older equine had held the gravitas of experience and a weatherworn sort of joy that balanced on the edge of melancholy. Now he smiled at his companion's antics, watching him enter into the waves, splashing about, his rowdy laughter carrying on the wind. He then turned and approached Reichenbach. Their words were lost to Kaladin's weak hearing, but he could tell their witty banter to be lighthearted and honest, hinting at some ancient friendship between the two men.

A pang of jealousy snapped in him, twanging like a breaking lute string.
He wanted to be like them, he realized. His heart ached for that shared camaraderie, for laughter and jest and easy familiarity. But how? How did they do it? Where did they find this lighthearted goodness, this ease of existence? He could only watch, desperate to learn from the older men. He felt his heart might be shrinking and withering, like skin left under water too long. He could never be like them. For who could love a broken, useless sack of mortal flesh, who did not truly comprehend his own existence? He would feign confidence before his peers, but in truth he knew only how to be divine - and he had not done well at that, either.

Standing upon a smaller stone, mane swept aside by the wind and amberglass eyes rendered blue by the ocean's hue, he looked a forlorn landmark, lost in the ocean breeze, ready to be swept away by the many foaming mouths of the ocean. He wondered, briefly, if he should turn and leave - simply acknowledge his loss and abandon hope. And yet, curiosity drove him froward - he would not be abandoning these lands quite yet.

He edged his way anxiously down to the waters, close to the two men but not near enough to exude familiarity. He did his best to ignore the pain and loneliness he felt, unable to approach the strangers - instead, he turned his efforts to the briny waves that lapped, time and time again, almost brushing against his hooves. He took a breath, inquiring of the ocean's feel but also weary of it. Finally, he stepped forward, close enough to be within reach, and -

SPLASH! the water struck against his front legs, and he reared back in alarm at the frigid touch. He stumbled away, laughing and shrieking at once. He turned, seeking anyone to share his mirth with, before realizing how foolish, how childish he must look. He quickly quelled his outburst, eyeing the two men standing close by. "H-how...how did you do it?" the question was directed meekly at the horned roan, who he'd seen enter the waters moments before. Goddamit, man, you were a god! Get yourself together. he growled at himself. "The water is freezing." finally gaining composure, he tipped his head and smirked, feeling more himself now that the water had nearly shocked the wits out of him. "Also, I think you give the women of Solterra far too much credit."

@Reichenbach @Rostislav this is terrible heCK
code by avis

Rostislav

surrounded by the world

My humor is not lost on Reich, which I find myself immeasurably grateful for. Sometimes I think I'm being funny and really I'm just being a moron. Part of me cares deeply, for I want to have a certain amount of respect, but part of me gives no shits. (Really, there's a very fine line.) Reich's laughter is immediate acceptance and approval, and I grin back at the bay. He tugs back at my two-toned mane and my neck gives, bending gently to the force. I thrust my nose at him to nudge him in return, careful to not accidentally stab him with the spikes on my face. (They're fun, but pointy.)

In all this mirth and gaiety I'm surprised to hear Reich beg the question of why I must live in Solterra. The land of burning sun and unforgiving desert heat. That instead, I should come live in Denocte. It's not a bad question, for I never took much to Dragon's Throat in Helovia. The desert never called to me there, nor the Sun God. No, I had lived first as an outcast, then within the earthy walls of the Hidden Falls. Solterra did not make much sense for me, except for the grandiose feeling I got when I was there. Then he said 'gypsy girls'. My eyes glazed over as my imagination took over, and it took a good thirty seconds before my senses returned. "Gypsy girls! That IS tempting..." But what about Weir? She's not gypsy girl but she is rather.. lovely.. My expression turned serious as I weighed the choices. "Let me think about it." I spoke with due respect. "It seems not a most whimsical matter, and I'd hate to make decisions without knowing as much as I can." I glanced north toward the place I had just thought to call 'home'. "Besides, I've barely been there. Yes, let me think and I will return to you with an answer."

The moment of gravitas comes to an abrupt end as there's a loud splash to my left, down the beach. I lift my head and my ears swivel - forward, back, forward again! -, alerting to the sudden noise. I am surprised I did not notice the approach of this other beast. But his spelunking in the sea remedies that situation immediately. I take in the sight of a somewhat drowned-looking chestnut paint, approaching us as he laughs at the nature of the sea (I suppose). I turn my rump away from the sea, facing the strange stallion. He asks how I did it.. and his next comment reveals the nature of the question. How did I not mind the temperature of the sea? I imitate a shrug, ears swiveling backward in disturbed contemplation at the strange apparition. "Didn't think it was that cold." I don't understand his next comment, but infer it was about my Sea Breeze/Rostislav shot joke. Hmm. "Who are you?" My voice is a little more gruff but not unkind, irritation at my suddenly-important conversation with Reich having been disturbed coloring the vocals. I glance at my stalwart Denocte companion to see if he recognizes the newcomer.

"."
WC: 525 Tag: @Reichenbach OOC: ahh sorry he's a little rude, flight!

Reichenbach

R E I C H E N B A C H

The friendly jostling of the two men left something pleased and golden in the atmosphere, it was something easy and simple, a connection that lay bright and lazy underneath their muscled exteriors. Reichenbach grinned at the eagerness with which Rosti regarded the women of Denocte - and in truth, Reich knew them to be the most beautiful mix of savagery and society, wild and free, bursting with laughter and life... and he'd had a fair taste of them when he had been younger. Until Swallow had stolen his lust for anyone but her, until she had unknowingly rejected his bloody heart and returned it a little bit heavier, a little bit darker. It had been a while since the mahogany skinned man had taken anyone to bed. 

Rostislav continued, his roguish voice warm in Reich's ear - and though Reichenbach listened intently, his silver eyes wandered to the cliff path, following a familiar horned stallion as he drew closer and closer to the water. 

"It's your's to consider, Rosti. I don't mind a bit of heat every now and again, if you should choose to stay" he flashed a genuine smile, the offer for Rostislav to visit whenever he should like hovering eagerly on his lips. His eyes flashed back to Kaladin, who was laughing ( laughing ! ) and shrieking as he dabbled in the cool Terminus waters. His lips curved in a barely concealed smile, amused and delighted to see the stoic man enjoying himself so. He noticed the flick of his companions ears as Rostislav observed Kaladin and let slip a bark of a laugh as he approached, watching the two of them closely through merry silver eyes. 

He could sense Rostislav's hostility before he responded, and regarded his rough friend curiously before turning to greet Kaladin. 

"Kaladin!" was his boom, his voice full of laughter. "Any luck on your relic search?" Reich turned to Rosti, explaining "Rosti, this is Kaladin - I bumped into him not long ago in Denocte." He slid another wry glance between the two, gauging the tension. After a moment of silence he added, "Kaladin - meet Rostislav, an excellent warrior and a good friend of mine."

@Rostislav @Kaladin ! lololol love the tension between rosti and kal!