Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Too Much is Never Enough

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

SOMNUS

Since parting ways with Kasil, Somnus has known exactly who he had wished to speak with first about the matter. It simply came down to finding the joyful Emissary. Delumine was changing, and they needed to be prepared. The command had shifted, the mantle of Dawn King now resting upon his shoulders. It was a heavy weight, one that he did not feel worthy of, but one that he knew he would not need to carry alone. The tactician would do whatever it took to see that his Court was well taken care of, that they would want for nothing, but he could not do it alone. He would need help, and while the list was remarkably small, Somnus knew best who could help him tend to the needs of his Court.

His Court? No, no… It was not his Court as much as he was theirs. He was their servant. His body was their vessel, a means to do their bidding. A means to keep them safe. That had been his promise.

Having stepped out into the courtyard, Somnus’ eyes had wandered until they had spotted Ipomoea standing amidst the blooming hedges and flower bushes. Alba fluttered from her perch upon his rump, silently taking to the skies and darting about the spotted fellow, clacking her beak in loud pops! to get the Emissary’s attention, before wheeling about in the air to return to her roost. Somnus’ eyes remained upon the Emissary, waiting and watching for his reaction.

When their eyes met, keen emerald meeting joyful magenta, Somnus gathered his strength to offer the Emissary a kind smile. It was an honest expression at least, sincere despite his trepidation, but noticeably strained. This was not a happy visit between friends, as much as Somnus wished otherwise. Would that it could be so easy…

“I had hoped that I would find you out here, good Po,” the golden murmured by way of greeting, deciding to jump straight into it. No point in dawdling, and Somnus was never the type to beat around the bush, anyway. Oriens’ beard, had Kasil even told this kind hearted young man about his thoughts of leaving Delumine behind? “... There’s been a development, and if you’ve the time, I need to speak to you. Urgently.”

What would Ipomoea say? How would he react? They were amicable, certainly. Somnus would even dare to say they might be friends, or, at the very least, almost be to that point… But Po was fiercely loyal to Kasil. Would he trust Somnus’ words as true? That Kasil had passed the crown to him? That the Regent hadn’t acted a traitor and usurped their beloved King? No. Please, stars above, no.

Please let him listen to reason and truth. They needed each other now more than ever.

@Ipomoea - Something short  and quick to get us started <3

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Ipomoea

I P O M O E A

It had been a relative uneventful day for the young Emissary, one of the rare days he had no scheduled duties or lessons or assigned readings to occupy him. They had been slowing down recently: he knew now of the gods and all their dramatic stories, of the origin of the Courts and the history of their relations. He knew how to be "proper" and how to address other ranks, both of Delumine and of foreign Courts. He could read novels and write papers, could critically think for himself and read others' body language and diffuse a tense situation with a smile. It seemed likely that, after one long and busy year full of education and traveling, his education was coming to an end. Ipomoea was about to graduate cum laude.

'Of course, I'll never really stop learning,' he mused silently to himself as he waded through the paths, marked by hedges and flowers and other fauna. 'The mind should never stop expanding...' He paused at a bunch of exceptionally vibrant flowers, dipping his dark muzzle low to their petals. His cherry eyes closed as he inhaled deeply, letting his senses drown in the sweet, floral fragrance.

It would be nice indeed to finally be able to relax like this more consistently, to literally stop and smell the roses as he pleased.

Ipomoea's eyes fluttered open at the sound of the barn owl overhead, recognizing the presence as one he was becoming more accustomed to having around. He lifted his gaze skyward as Odet flew out to meet the other bonded, tracking them both through the air before returning his gaze to search for the golden figure that would be undoubtedly nearby. It didn't take long; he was standing just across the courtyard, a small smile on his face.

Recognition lit up the appaloosa's face. After a dip of his head to bid his flowers farewell, he turned and began weaving out of the garden, picking his way over to greet the Regent.

But he didn't need to get close to sense something was amiss. The smile upon his lips wavered, his hoofsteps slowing to a cautious pace as he approached. At Somnus' first words, he simply bobbed his head once in acknowledgment--being among the wild flora and fauna was one of his favorite places after all, anyone could guess so--but remained silent. He knew Somnus well enough to know he would have more to say; Po could wait.

A small frown creased his brow, casting his eyes into shadow, but he did not let it touch his voice. "Now is as good a time as any, I'm not busy," he spoke softly, searching Somnus' eyes for a hint of what might be coming next. But the dunalino guarded himself well; his expression was unreadable, except for what may have been worry--or was it sadness? Ipomoea wasn't sure, and it scared him. He cleared his throat, choosing his words carefully.

"Is everything alright, Somnus?"

@Somnus <3
space code
neverrmind art

Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

SOMNUS

’Is everything alright, Somnus?’

An innocent question, but one that weighed an unfathomable amount. Was everything alright? Well, no, but it was manageable. Salvageable. To his knowledge, Delumine was not in immediate danger despite the rising tensions between their sister-provinces. Everyone was safe and healthy. They could overcome this drastic, sudden change, so long as they all stood together. Just as the sun would inevitably sink beyond the horizon and end the day, the dawn would inevitably rise. Life would continue, just as they would. This was merely a setting sun of one era, preparing the stage for another to rise.

Still, he found himself hesitant to speak. Fearful, almost. How could he say the words that so desperately pushed for supremacy behind his teeth? The new King let out a slow, measured breath, allowing for his eyes to drift shut in an attempt to collect himself and his thoughts. Losing himself to his warring emotions would do them no favors. The spotted fellow in his company now could be trusted. That was why he had sought him out in the first place. Po was a man of reason, a champion of the mind, of the spirit, of knowing. He would understand, and Somnus knew that he had nothing to fear.

“As well as they can be, I’m afraid. Po,” Somnus breathed out, as though the Emissary’s name was dry land and he had been drowning, lost at sea amidst water and flotsam. As he spoke, however, the dunalino’s voice grew in strength, in confidence. Determined emerald eyes slid open, glittering fiercely in the sunlight as he met the gaze of concerned magenta. Together. “… I’ve just come from a meeting with Kasil. He has shifted supreme command of the Court to me. He has named me Sovereign in his stead.”

He paused long enough to take another steadying breath, all while carefully gauging the Emissary’s expression. The new King stood poised and firm, holding his ground against the harsh truth of his own words. The weight of his promise felt like lead in his breast, but just as much as it was heavy, did it make him strong. “Kasil plans to leave Delumine behind, if he hasn’t already. I won’t speak for him in regards to why. He is my friend, and I will not try to explain his reasoning… But that brings me to why I’ve sought you out. I know that this is sudden. I know that you and Kasil were very close, in manners of the Court and in friendship, but we must carry on. For our Court, and the ones who love this place just as much as you and I do.”

“I would like for you to be my Regent, good Po. Your influence within our Court is great, and they respect you. I respect you.” He hoped that Po understood the importance of it. Somnus did not give out his friendship, his trust, or his respect that easily. “You are determined and astute, and loyal to Delumine and Oriens’ teachings. I believe that your experience as Emissary will serve us well, standing by my side as Regent. I also know that this is a lot to take in at once, and by no means am I pressuring you to accept such a weight. Nor will I think any different of you should you decline.”

Somnus wouldn’t blame him, not one bit. Ipomoea made a fantastic Emissary. He was personable and bubbly, vivacious in all manners of life, easy to laugh and talk… But it was those things that made him a grand Emissary that made Somnus hope he would accept the promotion to Regent. The new King could use such feats in his second-in-command. Hoping to alleviate the tension in the air, he attempted a smile, but Somnus was fairly certain it looked more like a grimace.

“… If you need to think on it, please, do. I can wait.”

But could the Court?

@Ipomoea

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Ipomoea

I P O M O E A

The Regent’s hesitation was clear; and with every second that passed, the pit in Ipomoea’s stomach continued to grow, lodging itself deeper, twisting into his gut. Wild as his imagination was, a whole host of scenarios began blossoming in his mind, from fires to war to stealths. He tried to quench it, tried to force himself to swallow past the lump in his throat, but his body—his mind—refused to listen and obey.

Somnus closed his eyes, and Po held his breath, teeth held tightly together in a clenched jaw. ’When did I do that…’

”I’ve just come from a meeting with Kasil… He has named me Sovereign in his stead.”

The air escaped his lungs with a gasp, quiet and painful. The words hit him like a kick to the chest—not that he would know what it felt like exactly, having never been in a fight himself. But if he had to guess, he’d say it felt pretty close to this.

’Kasil… leaving?’ Somnus had to be mistaken…

But Ipomoea could tell, from his tone and by his expression, that the Dawn Court’s Regent was serious. This was their reality.

”Kasil plans to leave Delumine behind, if he hasn’t already. I won’t speak for him in regards to why. He is my friend.”

He snapped his jaw shut, uncertain of when he had let it hang open so wide, and swallowed painfully. ’Was he not my friend..?’ The next several of Somnus’ words fall on deaf ears as pain stabbed its way into the appaloosa’s heart, tears threatening to pool in his eyes. Kasil was leaving; and he was leaving without saying goodbye to Po. He felt his throat close, his naris flaring instinctively in an attempt to collect more air.

But the Regent—the new Sovereign—wasn’t finished yet. “I would like for you to be my Regent, good Po.”

“Me..?” His voice was little above a whisper, eyes wide in incredulity. Ipomoea had been surprised when Kasil had named him Emissary… was he even qualified to now take on the role of Regent? What had he done to cause these men to place so much of their faith in them? He was just Po, an orphan from Solterra, named after the morning glories of Veneror Peak. There was nothing special about himself or his lineage or his childhood. Scenarios and words flashed through his mind, a million ways and reasons to say no.

But… he didn’t want to.

It would make sense to keep his position; he was comfortable where he was, everyone told him he was doing well as an Emissary. He enjoyed the job, and the many hours of studying that might tire another horse simply enthralled him, captivated him even. But here, Somnus was offering him the possibility of something more.

Did he even want more? A small whisper in the back of his mind chanted ’Yes!’ to his own chagrin.

“…You honor me, Somnus.” He lifted his rosado eyes to the dunalino’s verde ones, willing the tears that threatened at the corners to dry themselves. “If you wish me to be your Regent, I will stand by you,” his voice was still hushed, yet determined: “Delumine is my home—I will never abandon our people, nor you, my King.”

Sometimes, the rose colored boy could surprise even himself.

Despite the sadness he felt—trying as he was to push it down, it kept rising back to the surface—a glint of jest lightened his eyes. “Who would have thought a couple of book worms might lead a country together?” Although the smile did not quite reach his lips, it was still something; a small bit of hope to offer his friend.

@Somnus phew po surprised me here ;o;
”here am i!“
space code
neverrmind art

Dawn Court Scholar

SOMNUS

Somnus did not rush him. He remained silent and thoughtful, stationary with his erect posture, expression open and unguarded. Dark lips remained pressed firmly together, brows furrowed, and his eyes swam with an infinite sort of emotion. Grief, stress, hope… This was no game. It was not a moment to make a rash decision, and he understood Ipomoea’s need to take a moment for himself and think.

Pride did not drive them. They were beings of knowledge, seekers of truth. Glory and strength were not things that they yearned for. They did not wish to move mountains, to make others kneel or cower, to hoard away rare and exotic riches. Instead, they desired understanding to the mechanizations of the world, to have answers to the mysteries that surrounded them. Strength of the mind was far more desirable than strength of the body, and Ipomoea understood that. Somnus could think of no other to uphold Oriens’ teachings by his side, and so he stood silently, hoping, waiting.

The murmured ’Me…?’ was enough to make Somnus’ heart stutter within his breast, hesitation drawing him back to himself. The role of Regent was a tumultuous one, and while the Appaloosa was learned and dutiful, loyal to their home and their tutelary deity, he was young. Could Somnus willingly sleep at night knowing that he had placed such a heavy burden upon the shoulders of one so young? Almost immediately upon thinking it, the new King shut it down. Foolish. He was being foolish. The physical age meant nothing in the schemes of deeper intelligence, of intimate brilliance. This younger soul before him had already proved his worth as Emissary, and then some.

He would ask no other. Not yet. Not ever, if it all worked out. Po could do it. Somnus had the faith in this young man, that he would defy every expectation and rise.

Then, a breath. A decision reached. ’… You honor me, Somnus.’ Oh, no. The honor was all his. How could he make Po see? The dunalino, however, held his tongue. He could not rush this, would not rush this, could not breach the sanctity of this precious moment. Po continued, his voice growing in strength, in determination, in fealty, the tears that Somnus had spotted seeming to disappear beneath thick lashes with the blink of an eye. ’If you wish me to be your Regent, I will stand by you. Delumine is my home – I will never abandon our people, nor you, my King.’

My King.

A fleeting moment of terror chilled the golden Sovereign to the bone. No. No. It was wrong. So wrong. He was never meant to be a King. Somnus had been satisfied to serve his monarchs. It was his calling; servant, tactician, advisor, regent. Now? King? Him? Could he truly? Then, a thought. A memory; a different land, a different King, but one who was uncertain of how to press forward. One who doubted himself. Somnus’ own voice echoed in his mind, elegant and rich and full of a conviction he no longer felt.

One cannot lead by standing still. A king pushes onward, always, accepting the consequences and never looking back.

It was all or nothing. Perhaps he could not rule alone, but that was why he was here. If Ipomoea was certain, if he believed in himself, if he believed in the both of them… Then so should Somnus.

Slowly, as though he had forgotten how to breathe, the dunalino let out a measured breath. Verdant eyes remained upon Po’s gaze, and in return of the Appaloosa’s own smile, he did the same. Dark lips curled and it was as though a massive weight fell from his shoulders. How had he gotten so lucky to have one such as Po in his Court? In their Court? He was innocent and eager and full of splendor, beautiful in body and spirit, and Somnus’ chest swam with adoration for this young man who so readily accepted such a burden.

“Certainly not I,” he murmured honestly, that smile remaining, brows lifting as the lines of stress disappeared from the new Sovereign’s face, “Oriens’, perhaps.” It was a statement, not a question, for who else would orchestrate such a turn of events but the patron God they both served? “But definitely not I. Yet I am both glad and relieved, that it is you who will be at my side.”

He went on, allowing his gaze to drift upwards, watching the sky. “Thank you, Po. For more than I can express. You honor me, my friend.” What next? What was their next plan of action? That had always been his job; preparing, calculating, planning for every possible outcome and every next step. Now? It seemed as though he was drawing a blank. His new Regent was secure. The burden seemed less. Together they would work for their Court… But, of course, their Court would need to know of the changes that had happened in so short a time. Ah, yes.

Emerald eyes once more sought out magenta, and his smile grew in strength. Together. They could do this together. “… Our first plan of action, good Po? Shall we summon the Court?”

@Ipomoea – I feel like this is everywhere and horrible and I’m so sorry ;-; ilu Sid <3

Ipomoea

I P O M O E A

In the brief span of silence when neither of them spoke, Ipomoea took a moment to study the newly named king. ’How appropriate,’ his mind whispered. Somnus was dressed from head to hoof in the richest color of gold, as if his entire body should bear testament to the crown he would now hold. He remembered Kasil’s diadem, gold and bejeweled, striking against his dark forehead. Would Somnus inherit the same piece of gold? Would he command the smiths to forge him a new one?

Maybe he would choose to not even wear one. Ipomoea wouldn’t blame him, Kasil had often complained of its weight. ’Not that it looked all that heavy to me…’

But Somnus was smiling again now—in that easy, friendly way he knew, as if the least of his worries were now behind him—and it lifted the worry from Ipomoea’s mind, too. Somnus trusted him; not only that, he was happy to stand beside him in the Regime. That was enough for the both of them.

Po only continued to smile, even knowing it would go unseen as the dunalino tilted his gaze to the sky. A companionable silence stretched in between them, one he was in no rush to break. It was comfortable; it took his mind from the bigger picture, from the hurt of Kasil’s resignation. He didn’t want to think yet if he had gone already or not, if he would leave even a note behind for his Emissary; so he chose not to.

“… Our first plan of action, good Po? Shall we summon the Court?” He straightened his shoulders, meeting Somnus’ gaze head on. Such a seemingly simple task was still enough to send a shiver coursing down his spine, a splendid mix of excitement and trepidation. This was part of his role in the Court; but it warmed him from the inside out to know he wouldn’t be at it alone. He and Somnus were a team, moreso now than ever before.

“We should indeed,” he agreed, stepping in closer to the golden king. “If it’s any comfort, Somnus, I couldn’t think of a better replacement for Delumine’s crown than you. And I know the Court will agree; how could they not?” He nuzzled at Somnus’ shoulder with a smile. Even in a rank borne of professionalism, and even with all his gentlemanly and respectable studies beneath his belt, he was still just Po: oblivious to the concept of personal space around those he trusted—those he loved. Somnus would never be an exception, of that he was sure.

“Might you lead the way for us?”

@Somnus <3 idk what this is
”here am i!“
space code
neverrmind art

Dawn Court Scholar

SOMNUS

There was a confidence in Ipomoea, a rolling sense of self-assurance and silent strength despite his boyish nature and genuine personality that had surely come from the months spent as Emissary. It was a rank full of experience and self-building that would only assist the younger man now as Regent. Seeing his assurance, his confidence, the smile upon his lips and the joy within vibrant, sparkling red eyes, Somnus couldn’t help but feel assuaged, his worries drifting away to be tended to another day. Together, they could do this. They could. He had unwavering faith in their combined abilities.

Then, the appaloosa went on, and Somnus’ smile slipped. He was filled with a mixture of awe and hubris, of adoration and uncertainty. What had he done to deserve such reverie? Such respect and devotion? He had only served to the best of his abilities, throwing himself into learning about a land that he knew nothing about and serving a Court that he had not been born into. At first, it had been a coping mechanism to overcome such a devastating, profound loss, but somewhere along the way, it had turned into a genuine passion, a desire to make things better, to make things right. Now, Po’s words rang in his ears, bouncing around within his head, but could not take root. He? The best replacement for Delumine? Certainly not. He was just a man. A flawed man. He was no great King or sanctioned ruler. He was not chosen by the Gods. And yet…

And yet…

He would try to be. He would try to be the King that Delumine needed, that they deserved. It was all he could do.

“Po,” he murmured, a little choked, “I…” There was a pause, a brief hesitation, as the normally so silver-tongued tactician struggled to find the correct words to say. “Thank you. I will do my best to not fail your faith, nor the faith of our Court. I promise. I will do what I must.”

Then, soothing pressure, a soft touch. Wonderful, gentle, grounding touch, as Po stepped forward to brush against the rising crest of his shoulder. Somnus exhaled slowly, letting his eyes flutter closed, soaking in the proffered strength and understanding that such a simple action portrayed. For a selfish moment he stood still, relishing the contact, drawing from his newly named Regent. Emerald eyes opened slowly, focusing on the boyish face of the appaloosa, and his smile returned. He prayed that Po could see the gratification in his eyes, the adoration, the affection.

“Come along, then. Though I must admit, Po, I would much prefer that you walk at my side, if you would indulge me.” Despite what their new ranks dictated, they were equals, and Somnus did not want Po trailing behind, following within the golden tactician’s wake. They should face the trials of their Court together, side by side, and that is what they would do. Turning, the newly crowned King of Delumine took the first steps back to the Citadel, where they would call forth the meeting of a new era.

@Ipomoea – Somnus’ ending post :D

Ipomoea

I P O M O E A

”I will do my best to not fail your faith, nor the faith of our Court. I promise.” Somnus hadn’t needed to say so; Ipomoea would have assumed it of him, anyway. Even in his limited interactions with the dunalino, one thing had been made clear to him: Somnus was a man of loyalty, one of determination and stoic strength. One who always tried his best, who sought to be his best not only for himself, but for the sake of others.

Wasn’t that what the best kings were made of? Sure, they must also be wise and politically-minded, diplomatic, all those things that came to mind at the heels of the word “king.” But it seemed even better, in the rose-boy’s mind, to be kind and compassionate, to care for your Court and her people. What else would motivate a king to stick around, to act not in their best interest, but in the interest of their people, and to make decisions that would benefit them all? A selfish man was no true king, but Ipomoea would put money on his belief that Somnus had never been selfish.

“I know you will,” he answered simply, his young, naive honesty laced into each word of the short phrase. The world had always been so simple to him—despite his messy and unpredictable life, Po had a talent for making sense of it all, for trusting in others, for embracing the change that so many others might cower from. Despite his messy upbringing; despite being abandoned today by Kasil.

Because change might hurt, but he knew it was not the end. It was Somnus’ beginning as King, and Ipomoea’s beginning as Regent. ’Isn’t that how life works? When one door closes, another opens?’ So too, when one king stepped back, another would step forward.

His eyes were filled with hope, masking out the sadness that lingered beneath them.

“At your side it is, my friend.” Matching his stride to Somnus’, he made sure they walked together back to the Court, plucking a flower from the garden to braid into his forelock as they went.

@Somnus end scene <3
”here am i!“
space code
neverrmind art