Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - clear the skies from smoke

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Orion

ORION
exiled prince

These lands were... different.

All lands were different, of course, but there was something about these that sprung hope somewhere deep down in the man's chest, caused it to bloom as he inhaled slowly and turned his head, focusing milky looking eyes on the structure before him. It reminded him of home, in some small way, though it lacked the terror and the scent of smoke. It was warm and forgiving here, something he had long searched for over time, since he was a young boy.

Echoes of the past still chased him, even here, but he steered himself forward despite it, his horned head lifting as he walked carefully and heard the fall of his hooves on every step. Clip, clop, clip, clop. The sounds calmed him as it formed a rhythm, and his head lifted more, a confidence rising in his chest, settling in and warming him. It'd been a long time since Orion felt so much comfort, and he could only hope that perhaps there was a place for him here.

A few more steps, and he found himself inside the walls, leaving a gate behind him as he walked and drew in breaths. It was... well. He wasn't jittery surrounded by the stone as he thought he would be, and his ears swiveled forward, his eyes softening and his scarred lips twitching in to a smile.

Yes. Perhaps this could be home, a new home, a new allegiance.

@Somnus || eee first post with him, don't mind the rust

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

SOMNUS

Since his ascendancy, Somnus found himself to be terribly busy. Matters of his Court needed to be overseen and addressed, strategy meetings were to be had with Po to discuss Delumine and its relation with their neighbors, and the new Dawn King had even attended a few patrols with Ulric to ensure that their borders were secure. There was always something that needed done, some matter of business to attend to. It was hard work, but it was satisfying. The dunalino had no regrets in accepting the role of Sovereign, at least not yet.

In his rare times of peace and relaxation, he would either shut himself in the Citadel’s grand library to read or peruse the hydrangeas in the courtyard, admiring the myriad of blossoms and losing himself in their scents. It was nice. Relaxing, even. More often than not, when their schedules allowed, Po would accompany him. They were rarely apart anymore; Sovereign and Regent, working dutifully in tandem for the benefit of their beloved Court.

Today, however, Somnus was alone. Alba rest upon his croup, talons digging into the dunalino’s flesh for purchase. He had long since grown used to the discomfort of the barn owl’s sharp grip. Together they wandered the courtyard, stopping to smell the blooming flowers or admire a particularly fetching floral arrangement. The sunlight glinted off of the Dawn King’s golden hide, wings spread to enjoy the warmth of the mid-day sun. It was quiet. Peaceful. The perfect way to spend an afternoon.

It didn’t last.

The sound of approaching hooves caused an ear to tip back as Somnus was admiring a collection of peony flowers, Alba’s large, judgemental black eyes twisting around to focus on the intruder at the same time. The barn owl gave a little hiss, popping her beak in the newcomer’s direction. Somnus, in turn, lifted his head with poise and elegance and turned to face the individual who had joined them. The man was one that he did not recognize.

Keen emerald eyes peered at the fellow, taking in his markings, his horns, the milky hue of his eyes. He stood a much taller height than Somnus himself, but the Dawn King was not daunted. This was his domain, after all. Brow arched, the dunalino smiled. It was a small expression, subtle but welcoming. The tension between Delumine’s neighbors put him on edge, but this spotted fellow did not seem to come with ill-intent in mind.

“Hello,” Somnus called pleasantly in the lilt of his accent, straightening his posture with a roll of his shoulders, his movements poised and calculated with one familiar with the workings of politics and courtly appearances, “A fine day for a stroll, is it not?”

@Orion <3

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Orion

ORION
exiled prince

Turning his head, the crown of horns comes in view more blatantly than they would from the side, poking up above his ears in sharp points. He wasn't alone, and a flicker of sheepishness crept over him, crawling down his spine and through his chest, before finally washing upon his face in the form of a small and simple smile. He should really examine his surroundings more often, especially if he was able to look over the golden man in front of him. A bit odd he hadn't seen him, but Orion had a bad habit of drifting in to his own mind.

"Hello," he called back, lifting a front hoof to instead prop it on its tip, keeping it there as the smile remained on his face, warm. He knew the look of a politician when he saw one; growing up around their ankles and behind the sturdiness of his parents had offered him a glimpse in to the supposedly rich world of monarchy and politics. "That it is. I do apologize if I'm intruding. Somehow, I managed to not see you there. I hope I have not interrupted?" Despite his many attempts to escape his old life, his manners had still stuck with him, glued to his thoughts and nature, never to really be removed. Ingrained in his every thought and motion.

The smile remained, and he turned his head instead, focusing milky eyes on the courtyard around them, the walls and structures that called back memories of home. Carefully, he shook himself off, as if attempting to dislodge the memories from his mind, as much as they clung to him with sticky little fingers. "Oh, I apologize. My name is Orion," he offered, clearing his throat and looking with that sheepish glance again, somewhat embarrassed by his lack of manners. "It's a bit overwhelming, coming to a new place. I hope you can forgive my little lapse of manners."

@Somnus || slkdjf i love him already

Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

SOMNUS

The spotted stranger seemed almost perplexed when he realized that Somnus was there. The dunalino’s furtive smile remained, careful and guarded but genuine, not wishing to make the stranger think that he wasn’t welcome. All were welcome in Delumine, so long as they respected their boundaries and laws. Slowly the Dawn King folded his wings back against his sides, head tilting curiously at the stranger. He smelled of distance, the foreign scents unable to be placed with his intimate knowledge of the Dawn Court. Clearly he was not from their land.

“Come now, no need for apologies. You’ve hardly interrupted a thing. I was merely enjoying the flowers.” And what a fine day to do so. Truly, Somnus knew he needed to get out more, but obligations had seen him stuck within the walls of the capitol for far too long. He now understood Kasil’s reclusiveness better than he used to.

The spotted fellow introduced himself, with his milky white eyes and noble, handsome stature. Somnus was a learned fellow. He had served a number of Kings now before becoming one himself, and had served second-in-command to all of them, intimately familiar with the workings and mechanizations of court-life. He knew a politician when he saw one, and this monochromatic stud before him now fit every niche that he could fathom. Orion was his name, and Somnus nodded to show that he understood.

“Somnus,” he introduced warmly in greeting, still smiling, emerald eyes glittering knowingly in the sunlight, “And this is Alba.” He motioned towards the said barn owl, who fluttered her feathers in acknowledgement but otherwise remained silent. Instead, she simply watched Orion with eerie, judgemental black eyes, giving no indication if she liked him or not.

Then, he chuckled, a deep, throaty sound. “Nonsense. You’ve nothing to apologize for, Orion. Welcome to the Dawn Court, capitol of Delumine proper. May I inquire as to what brings you here?” It was an innocent enough question, he surmised.

Clearly the speckled man was a wanderer of some caliber, but had he intentionally sought out their Court, or was it by accident? Did he have a purpose in seeking them out? Or some ulterior motive? The man certainly seemed cordial and genuine, but one could never be too careful, especially with such tumultuous uncertainties in regards to the other Courts. Somnus loathed the paranoia and uncertainty that had begun to deep into his veins when encountering someone that he did not know, but he simply couldn’t help it. Even though this was his domain, he was far too premature a King. Trusting so openly could very well result in an usurped throne.

@Orion

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Orion

ORION
exiled prince

Orion still couldn't help the small flicker of his lips, the way he looked at the other. This one carried himself with poise and the knowledge of political positions and monarchies, something he was far too intimate with himself. The taste was old on his tongue, the flicker of words almost like dust in his mind, and he brushed them away with a simple thought, exhaling and allowing his shoulders to fall in to a more relaxed position as his ears flicked forward, milky white eyes training on the golden man.

A chuckle fell from scarred lips, and he settled his weight far more evenly on his legs, as if he were settling in for a casual chat. In a way, he was. "A pleasure to meet you, Somnus." The words were accompanied with a dip of his crowned head, a small gesture of greeting before he lifted up once more, tilting slightly. His ears flicked, and he peered curiously at the avian friend that Somnus had. "Alba. She is a beautiful owl," he noted, none too bothered by the dark eyes on him. He'd seen his fair share of judging stares over his life. Another pair didn't bother him.

Dawn Court. What a strange name for a place, but who was he to judge? An outsider to these lands, it was not his place to poke at names and inspect them. "Wandering, mostly. I come to seek a home, and this place happened to be the first one to catch my attentions. Namely for the beauty of it, and the potential of a good life here. It would be good to rest my weary head and no longer worry about where to stay." A new life, a new start. He'd searched for it for three years. No place had ever really been permanent for the man, instead just temporary as he'd trod through life.

Hopefully this was more permanent.

@Somnus || yes these two will be good friends

Dawn Court Scholar

SOMNUS

Still roosting upon his croup, Alba gave a satisfied clack of the beak, the blacks of her eyes growing far softer at this wanderer’s words. No longer was her eerie gaze full of distrust and judgement, but now instead swimming with innocent curiosity. Gold and white feathers ruffled in satisfaction, puffing up at the praise. ’A beautiful owl’, he had called her, and if that wasn’t the surest way to Alba’s young heart, then Somnus didn’t know what was. Unbidden, the dunalino chuckled, a deep, hearty sound. Well then.

“The pleasure is ours, good sir, I assure you,” he murmured in turn, dipping his head in a formal nod, never one to forget his manners. From there, he grew respectfully silent, keen verdant depths assessing the stranger more thoroughly. He was handsome, in a noble, roguish way, carrying with him an air of those familiar to the workings of politics and courtly encounters. With a strong jaw and a frame the nearly towered over Somnus’ own, the Dawn King took a selfish moment to appreciate the man’s physical assets before focusing on his pale, milky eyes. There was a bit of scar tissue about his right eye, semi-circular, and it looked peculiarly like the scar of teeth… Yet Somnus resisted the urge to frown, and instead upheld his small, polite smile, listening to Orion explain just what had brought him to Delumine’s soil.

Orion’s story was one that Somnus was growing accustomed to hearing. It was a tale that had once sprouted his own lips, seasons ago; lost and searching for a place to call home. A frightful thought erupted suddenly in his mind. Had it not even been a year since his arrival? And yet here he was, King of the Court he had stumbled upon. Ironic. A dusty golden ear was tilted forward despite his internal musings, listening raptly, his stance attentive and erect. Orion was a wanderer, a lost soul, searching to set roots into Delumine, searching for a place to lay his head and offer him protection. It was innocent and seemed truthful enough, and the Dawn King’s smile only grew, especially hearing the grullo’s kind words in regards to Delumine’s exquisite beauty and splendor.

Okay, so maybe he was a little biased…

Emerald eyes glittered in the sunlight, and his posture slowly relaxed. Alba, for her part, still looked absolutely smitten. “A reasonable desire, I assure you,” the dunalino began, rolling his shoulders as he turned to regard the mighty citadel standing proudly behind them, head lifting in admiration, “You’ve found yourself at the right place. Our Court is home to all kinds; warriors, knowledge-seekers, medics and doctors, and those who simply wish for a safe place to live… We turn no one away, no matter their history or creed.” With remarkable poise Somnus turned his head to regard the grullo once more, still smiling warmly, expression kind and earnest. “Would you care for me to show you around?”

@Orion <3 He's such a sweetheart ;-;

Orion

ORION
exiled prince

While Somnus spoke briefly, Orion found himself utterly fascinated by the owl that was perched on his companion's neck. He'd never heard of such a thing, a wild animal befriending a horse, sticking near them. It was a strange concept, but he felt as if he wanted to know more, the itch of curiosity in his mind, prickling at him. Maybe if he was lucky, he could discover such a partner for himself, someone perhaps to keep him company on journeys through Delumine and when he was particularly alone.

Blinking milky eyes, Orion brought himself out of his thoughts, his gaze shifting the few inches from Alba to instead Somnus once more. While the man was shorter than him, he was a beautiful color. A radiating gold and white that made him seem to be a living and breathing statue of sorts. The wings were magnificent as well, a perfect match to the hues, and they seemed to even match Alba in nature. Somnus held himself with a dignity that rivaled those of his previous court, and he could recall it from his younger years. A place of joy and where many good times were had. Back then, the dignitaries and his parents had kept a peace, so everything was remembered in a rosy hue to the grullo.

Orion found himself entirely relaxed, his shoulders easing up and his eyes curiously watching the emerald pair before him. "It's a good thing I've managed to stumble myself in to such a welcoming land," he admitted, and part of him wondered if this massive citadel was ruled by Somnus. He seemed to hold himself with all the grace of a leader, but Orion reserved his thoughts on it. He didn't want to merely assume. "I would love to be shown around." The change of topic was welcoming and he found himself easing forward, horns glittering behind his head as he turned it slightly. "I take it you've been here a while, Somnus. It would be an honor to be shown around by someone so knowledgeable of this place."

@Somnus || kjlskjf i love somnus ok ;o;

Dawn Court Scholar

S O M N U S

He couldn’t help it. Something about Orion’s words, the sincerity in which he spoke or the praise of the land that Somnus loved so dearly, caused the dunalino to chuckle warmly beneath his breath. It was easy to speak with Orion. They fell into conversation smoothly, naturally, in a way that Somnus had often struggled to do in the past. Yes, he was a tactician, a king, and a seasoned politician, gifted with an immaculate silver tongue. He could smile pleasantly and speak to dignitaries for hours, but those were nothing but empty conversations. This? Standing here within the Capitol courtyard, speaking to Orion? It was easy. It was wonderfully invigorating.

“A good thing, indeed,” Somnus echoed jovially, the depths of his emerald eyes glittering within the sunlight, “Come along then, if you would. I would be honored to be your guide for the afternoon.” His words held the echoes of a rueful connotation, a playful sort of teasing that he rarely reserved for those outside of his inner circle. Yet here he was, showing Orion, a stranger, a side of him that few others got to witness. Was it because of that simple, easy atmosphere that Orion exuded? It was hard to say. Somnus didn’t know. He didn’t like not knowing.

Hooves scraped and shifted upon mortar as Somnus turned to face the citadel, rolling his other shoulder to simply give it a good stretch. The Dawn King twisted his head about to watch as Orion lessened the distance between them, admiring the glint of his jet black horns in the sunlight. Handsome. The thought arose, unbidden, but not necessarily unwanted. Unable to hold the grullo’s gaze, Somnus turned his head about to instead focus his sights once more upon the citadel nearby.

Now, now, Somnus. There will be absolutely none of that. The task at hand, good sir.

Focusing instead on Orion’s inquiries, he smiled. Together, side by side, the two strolled through the courtyard at a leisurely pace. Alba remained stationed upon Somnus’ croup, pleased to be so close to the grullo stallion with the kind words. Goodness, if she wasn’t positively smitten with him. Orion truly had no idea what he had done with just a few pretty words.

“Not too long, I must admit. I arrived to Novus with the heat of last summer, so not quite a year yet.” And what a year it had been. Somnus’ life now was far different than the one he had obtained upon arriving to the land; a sage, a Regent, then King. Only Oriens would know where he would be in another year. “… But this land has become my home all the same. I became bewitched with Delumine’s beauty and grandeur, smitten with her sunrises and sunsets, and I was helpless but to not fall in love with her people. I hope to never leave.”

Clearing his throat, the Dawn King went on, his accent soothing as his voice carried through the courtyard. He motioned with his muzzle at the large, mortar citadel that they were steadily approaching. “This is our front courtyard, and our citadel is just ahead, as you can see. Many workings of the Court happen here, and this is also where most of our numbers reside.” Some, of course, chose not to sleep and live within the Capitol walls. Somnus did not begrudge their choices. “Shall we head inside?”

xx
space

@Orion – Sorry for the wait, my dear! Let’s continue! :D

Orion

ORION
exiled prince

Orion was all too pleased to move the bulk of his body, to turn it after Somnus, his grullo frame taking in a stride that brought him next to the other, but a bare half step behind, enough that they weren't completely side by side, but they weren't completely away from one another as well. Neck in neck almost, they walked, and he listened to the clatter of their hooves, a phantom echo that reminded him of the scrabbling ruckus back home when he was younger, sliding over shining stone floors and losing his footing, landing on his rump as he slid from one side of the room to the other.

Thankfully, this was a little rougher on the hooves, to keep anyone from going anywhere too fast.

The flowers around them were bright and jovial, a welcoming sight for someone that tended to wander too much in to the boggiest of places. Seeing splashes of color brightened his day immensely, and Orion couldn't help but turn his head toward the dunalino, watching with a milky gaze and even eyeing the beautiful bird perched upon him. He'd never seen a barn owl so up close, let alone one that made a companion with a horse, and he was simply fascinate with their bond. Perhaps Somnus had something no one else did, and it had drawn his avian companion to him.

Ears flicked and he turned his gaze to Somnus curiously, tilting his head a small fraction, causing a ripple effect with his white mane. So not long, yet he seemed to know the place so well. "Well, a year seems to give many plenty of time to learn about their homes, at least compared to someone that just happened to waltz in." Deep words pooled from his mouth and he laughed softly. "You speak so fondly of these lands.. and I hope to see the sunsets and sunrises as you do. To focus on the bright stars and the sky. To see what comes."

It's a wistful breath that left his lungs, but Orion lifted his head all the same to look upon the walls, the sturdiness of a home that would protect him. Them. All of this herd. "Why but of course," he finally answered, letting out a soft chuckle. "I do plan to see the inside of my new home."

@Somnus || wheee i love them sm ok

Dawn Court Scholar

S O M N U S

Orion certainly had a point. A year might not be a terribly long time for some, but for others, like those new to the lands around them and the world that they found themselves in, a year bespoke of knowledge, of understanding, of an intimacy developed over time and a plethora of experiences. Perhaps Somnus held that now, yes, even if it hadn’t quite been a complete year since his arrival to Delumine. Funny, how so much could happen in so little time. It was also a little sad, but he chased the thought before it could manifest into something much larger.

As the two fell in step with one another, Somnus chuckled. He felt at east in Orion’s company, and that was a blessing from the typical stresses of the Court system. There was a nagging thought in the back of the Dawn King’s mind, however, a simple question of ’will he stay?’ The question made him queasy.

The Dawn Court was accustomed to strangers finding their way into their borders, but many of them did not stay. What stole them away from Delumine’s lush forests and beautiful rivers, Somnus did not know, but inevitably it seemed that they drifted onward, like ghosts in the night never to be seen or heard from again. It made it hard to conceive an intimate inner circle, to form a Council of those that he knew he could trust, and those who he knew would not leave. It was difficult, but he was getting there. Albeit ever so slowly. He wondered if Orion could prove himself so capable, and certainly hoped so.

“I have no doubt in my mind that you will, and soon,” the dunalino stated warmly, offering the spotted grullo a rueful grin, “Most of our sunrises and sunsets can be seen just outside of the Capitol’s very walls. Perhaps you can join me later?” There were no plans to be had, after all. He was free for the evening, for now, at least. Free time was a blessing, and one that he did not often get to partake in.

Together they approached the Citadel, the doors wide open for King and compatriot. They passed beneath the threshold, and as they did, Somnus began to speak once more. “In Delumine, we ask that everyone be respected. As such, you are free to choose where you wish to sleep, or stay. Some stay here, in this Citadel. Some stay outside, or in the forests or even by the river. It’s completely up to you. If you would like to stay here, I would be happy to show you a room you may call your own.”

Oriens knew they had plenty of empty rooms, depressing as it might be.

“If you have any questions, I’ll answer what I can.”

xx
space

@Orion - If you wanted we could wrap up the thread soon, and start another one? Maybe set after the meeting? :3

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »