Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - reaching up to the sky

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Eulalie

and, when the friendly sunshine smil'd,
and she would mark the opening skies,
i saw no Heaven—but in her eyes
Delumine was serenity in the budding youth of spring, soft shoots of green and the pale colors of flowers barely beginning to peek from between their curled petals. There was a gentle, caressing breeze that just kissed her skin as it drifted along. Eulalie stood, poised carefully on the bank of the Rapax as she looked down into its clear depths. It had rained recently, and the extra volume had the river rushing along like an impatient soul, with places to go and such little time to get there. The ground was soft, and the ivory woman was aware of the fragility of the ledge she stood upon but loved nothing more than to listen to the roar, such at odds with the rest of the province as it was. In truth, she was not standing there precariously just to watch the water race.

She hoped to catch a glimpse of one of the pink river dolphins that called the Rapax home. They were large, graceful and inquisitive creatures, and sight to behold. Would she get lucky, she did not know, but maybe. Just maybe, Eulalie would cross paths with one today. The wind picked up, gusts that pulled at her golden curls and threatened to tug her braid from its wrap. She could hear it rustle the grass and the branches of trees, and watched as it stirred up the surface of the already churning river. It brushed all along her body, as if begging her to race along with it and allow it to carry her off to new places.

Eulalie raised her freckled face skyward, which was lit with the early morning sun and washed in a pale blue. The soft light was not exactly warming, but she relished it as it shone down on the world anyway. This was perhaps her favorite time of day, just after dawn when the sky is milky in color and every creature is just beginning to wake. There was a stillness as the earth shook itself of sleep, drifting from dreams and eyes opening to the light. Each new day she stood here with her independence was an accomplishment to Eulalie, who for so long had fought against the bonds that had tied her down. Never would she be forced back into that life where she was not her own.

Although her scars reminded her of that time, she did not hide them. She had escaped, had overcome, and they were only representations of her fire, strength and resilience. Perhaps some would think they marred her simple beauty, but their opinions would not sway her. As a warrior of the Dawn Court maybe now they would be seen as badges of honor. A smile curved her soft pink lips. A warrior, free to protect and to serve as she wished. Delumine had been her refuge, her sanctuary, and they had taken her in instead of turned her away and she was thankful for everything the Court had given her. In turn, she had given her loyalty, and now, a year or so later, she felt more at home here than she ever had in Solterra.
@Somnus I didn't know if we wanted this to be pre- or post-meeting so I left it pretty ambiguous as far as timeline goes!

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

S O M N U S

Rapax was becoming a frequent haven. There was something about the place that soothed him. Perhaps it was the sound of the river, the waves crashing and churning as the currents drifted downstream. Maybe it was the feeling of the breeze, rich in the scent of spring’s new life and caressing his body like a familiar friend, followed immediately with the sound of the leaves as it ruffled tree branches. Somnus did not know. It was a part of Delumine, the Rapax River, a part of home, and he loved it all the same. Whenever the Dawn King found himself within the region, his stresses seemed to melt away, the weight of Kingship carried off in the currents. Out here, he was not a King. He was simply a man, flawed and imperfect and fallible, but no matter his imperfections, his love for this beautiful land would remain.

It made him feel so incredibly young, so alive

Somnus strolled a leisurely pace as he followed the river, Alba fluttering overhead. The barn owl would dart off on occasion when something caught her eye, but otherwise would remain by the dunalino’s side. Together they stalked along the river and Somnus took caution to not slip upon the wet earth and tumble into the rushing waters below. As they progressed, keen verdant eyes would glance into the clear water at his side, hoping to catch a glimpse of the elusive pink dolphins that he had yet to see. They existed, he knew. It was a fact. There were no doubts… But he did hope to see them with his very own eyes, at least once, elusive and rare as though they may be.

Not too far into their stroll, Somnus’ emerald eyes focused on an ivory and sunlight form just up ahead. A pale maiden with golden tresses of molten sunlight, her hide mottled with sparse ebony spots, stood staring into the depths of the river. Had she lost something? She looked incredibly focused, if not lost in thought. Familiarity nagged at the back of the tactician’s mind, recalling the most recent Dawn Court meeting and her melodic vocals. Eulalie, a proud warrior of their Court. They had yet to truly meet, one on one. Somnus smiled, fully intending to right such a wrong.

“… Searching for something?” He questioned, the elegance of his accent warm and jovial. Alba perked up at spotting the woman, sweeping her wings upwards to venture closer to the warrior. The barn owl settled nearby on the trunk of a fallen tree, half of it submerged within the clear waters. Beady black eyes stared at the Dawn warrior, head swiveling, and Somnus chuckled at the feeling of Alba’s barely concealed curiosity. “Eulalie, wasn’t it?”

xx
space

@Eulalie – I’m so excited! :D

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Eulalie

His voice broke through her thoughts, drawing her head up as her fine golden hair fell away from her freckled face. Brunet eyes alighted on the now more familiar form of Somnus, whom she had only seen for the first time at the meeting held to announce his rise to Sovereign. The ivory woman’s attention was stolen, just for a moment, by the beating of the barn owl’s wings as the raptor landed on the trunk of a tree which had fallen within the river. His bonded was called Alba, if she remembered correctly.

“Well,” Eulalie said softly with a smile, meeting her King’s eyes once more, “yes, actually.” Her neck arched again as she looked back into the waters of the Rapax, morning light dancing off the rushing waters. “I’ve yet to see one of these infamous pink river dolphins that supposedly share Delumine with us,” her voice was wistful, wonder filled. The world was filled with so many beautiful and unimaginable things, and this one still escaped her to this day. “I don’t suppose you’ve seen one?” Her limited knowledge about the winged man meant she did not know how long he’d called Delumine home. Surely longer than herself, she thought.

“Yes, that is correct,” she responded to his inquiry of her name, a gentle gleam to her eyes, “Somnus, it is a pleasure to meet you face to face at last.” Eulalie’s lips twitched as she held in a soft laugh, the cheer brightening her expression as the sun fell across her now exposed cheeks, her mane swept against her neck. Indeed they should meet so long after her arrival to the court, and still even later after he had taken Kasil’s place.

Better late than never, perhaps? Maybe there was a reason this day had been fated to wait until now, though she did not bother to dwell on it much. There were others more skilled in breaking down the rules and meanings of destiny. Yet where some believed your fate was concrete, Eulalie felt that it was your own to shape, as she had done.

“I must admit, I do believe I was one of the only ones who did not know you by more than your name at that meeting.” Her voice was not accusing in any way, as though it was a duty of theirs to have met, a job. For many months, in fact, Eulalie had been forced to recover physically from her ordeals, and by then she had already assimilated. Still, she enjoyed meeting others for as much of the world was filled with beautiful places and things, it too was filled with beautiful people who she wished to know. “Where have you been hiding, then?” the warrior woman joked, eyes inquisitive.
@Somnus c:

Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

S O M N U S

Elegant brows raised at Eulalie’s admittance. The tactician’s keen gaze drifted from the pale maiden to focus instead on the rushing river at their side. The waves churned and kicked up mist as they passed, the waters clear as crystal as sun shone down to reveal the colorful stones underneath. Ah. Would there ever be a day where the elusive pink dolphins would show themselves? How often had he come out here, searching for that very river mammal, but to no avail? Often. Too often. With Kasil, with Florentine, with Ulric, with no one save Alba… Yet not once had he spotted them. If they had not been written about in such detail within the books sheltered within the library, he would probably not believe that they even existed. However, Somnus was a man of facts and proof, and their multiple accounts journaled in fantastic detail helped to solidify their existence, but he would enjoy seeing the dolphins with his own eyes.

The Dawn King’s head turned to regard Eulalie, and his smile remained. “I’m afraid that they’ve yet to grant me an audience,” he murmured thoughtfully, “Though I find myself out here often, hoping that will change. To see only one would be a great honor indeed.”

The Dawn King advanced, growing closer once he was certain that his proximity wasn’t unwelcome. The last thing he would wish for would be to disrupt Eulalie’s peace and tranquility. He joined her at her side, mindful of the space between them so he would not bump her with his wings, and peered thoughtfully into the churning waves. From there, he grew silent, content to listen as she spoke. A golden head nodded, eyes skimming the waves before looking back to the sunlight stricken lady at his side. The following chuckle was deep and short, but genuine.

“Please. I’m hardly anything special.” A man, really. Nothing more. Somnus hardly saw himself as a King. Perhaps that was why he never sought out a crown to hold, like Kasil had, or the other Sovereigns of the past. “But the pleasure is mutual.” Her following words caused his ears to perk forward at attention, worry blossoming within his breast. His tendency for perfection nipped at him, churning his gut.

Not enough. You aren’t doing enough.

Was he not doing enough? If he was supposed to lead them and those of his own Court did not know his face, then was he doing enough? Were they satisfied? Happy? Safe? He had promised Kasil, his King, that he would do everything that he could to ensure the Dawn Court would prosper and thrive, yet Eulalie’s comment, no matter how innocent it may have been delivered, stung all the same. More. He needed to do more. It was only by the years and years he had spent in politics that his distress did not show in his face. Instead, the dunalino’s expression shifted to one of intrigue, brow raising, emerald eyes glittering with lighthearted mirth between their locked gazes.

The stress and dangerous need for perfection dissipated, however, its grasp upon him loosening at her teasing inquiry. Eulalie’s eyes shone is mischief, her expression honest and open, the sound of her laugh still echoing within his head. She did not judge him. She wasn’t judging him. If he could not differentiate, then perhaps he needed to stop being cooped up within the Citadel so much. Perhaps Alba was right. Despite their recent acquaintance, Eulalie’s presence was becoming oddly soothing, and he grinned ruefully. Leaning towards her, he lowered his head, his voice dropping an octave as though in conspiracy.

“Hiding, my good lady? Perish the thought. No, more like held ransom by the confines of our very own Court. There is much to be done.” His smile returned, handsome, content. Upon her perch, Alba let out a little pop, head swiveling about in search for a snack. “… But Ulric might tell you otherwise. It’s no secret that I’m far more an introvert than an extrovert. He frets that I stay inside far too often… But my number of compatriots who might accompany upon an afternoon stroll are dismal. Still, he worries.”

Never mind the time that Ulric had found Somnus cooped up within the library with copious amounts of coffee thrumming through his system, forlorn and distraught and far too many hours without sleep. Perhaps his Warden had reason to worry. Pressing on and refusing to linger, Somnus straightened with a roll of his shoulder, letting his gaze peer back out upon the river. Still no flash of pink within the currents.

“… I believe I could ask the same of you, Eulalie. What has occupied your time?”

xx
space

@Eulalie - Sorry for the wait, darling! <3

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Eulalie

His admission was neither a relief nor a disappointment. Of course, if her King had seen one she would have loved to pepper him with questions. Oh, how curious this world of theirs. The elusivity of a thing brings more joy in witnessing it, despite the fact that all things are beautiful no matter how often one might see it. Still, she longed, hoping one day for that lucky break. It seemed that she was not the only one, as Somnus’ thoughts echoed her own.

“Perhaps today will be our day,” the golden haired woman mused, searching for his verdant gaze as he climbed to her side. His dismissal of his own precedence caused her to only shake her head slightly, a smile tipping up the corner of her mouth. “You are so much more than you can see.” Although she did not know him, she was confident in what she said. It was in her nature to see the best in all things, big or small, great or minute. From the way that both Delumine’s Warden and new Regent stood by his side, and so many came forth to offer themselves to be his Emissary she could see that much of Dawn’s people held him in high regard. No doubt he had earned all of their respect.

She did not look away as their eyes met, earth and grass, in an embrace of her tenderness and his levity. Eulalie found his company refreshing. She had met so few over her time in Delumine and she missed the joy of getting to know another, of seeing a familiar face in the crowd. Surrounding herself with good friends and good people was as important to her as the air she breathed. She could no sooner live without one over the other, and it had been just that which helped her to continue to live even when her days were dark.

When Somnus leaned toward her she dipped her head down to meet his, a conspiratory sparkle in her eyes and a grin on her lips. His whispered words and charming smile spoke of a much deeper secret than that which he shared with her, and his mirth was drawing her in, inviting her to be a part of something. His mention of Ulric brought only more fondness, for Ulric was dear to her and clearly he and Somnus had a bond as well.

“I dare say we will need to discover what it is they would like in exchange for your time,” she said lightly, looking to him as her grin softened. Eulalie’s eyes narrowed playfully, “Perhaps we shall just try and say, ‘Sorry, out for lunch’ and let them deal with that!” As his posture straightened, she too lifted her head, noting the way his attention returned to the river. She too allowed her gaze to roam over its surface, still hopeful.

“Knowing Ulric, I would tend to agree with his assessment,” she glanced at him out of the corner of her eye, wondering how often he gave everything at the expense of himself.   “I would be more than happy to take a stroll with you, of course only to ease poor Ulric’s mind.” A smirk played at her lips, but the offer was genuine. It would not be untrue to say that she could stand to get out more often than she did. Maybe it was high time she got out there again, made connections and built relationships. She was fortunate and grateful, still, for the few she had.

“Oh, nothing so fantastic,” the sunshine woman answered to his incursion of her own whereabouts. “I’ve spent my time getting reacquainted with myself, discovering what it is I’d like to do now that I have a whole world before me, unchained.” She did not know if he would take her literally, though the statement was exactly that. She stood tall for a reason, with her head held toward the sky. “I have come to the conclusion that the possibilities are endless, and I am happy to explore each of them,” as she finished speaking, she caught movement in the waters beneath them.

The trio was no longer alone. Two slick shapes rose up out of the rapids, mottled and pink and Eulalie smiled, a breath escaping her. The dolphins had come. “The world is full of miracles, we just have to be patient enough to let them reveal themselves.”
@Somnus dolphins!!

Dawn Court Scholar

S O M N U S

The words spoken were earnestly genuine, but Somnus could not find himself believing them. Not quite. He, deserving of an imaginary crown? Hardly so. He was just a man. A flawed, troubled man, left to carry the heavy mantle of Kingship in the wake of a far more deserving man. Still, Eulalie’s heartfelt faith kindled a timid flame within his golden breast. The stresses he faced were numerable and sometimes insurmountable, but this faith, so innocently yet passionately placed, served as a reminder that he needed to simply stand back and enjoy the little things.

Funny. He could almost hear those words in the back of his head as though spoken from Ulric’s lips.

’Just enjoy the little things, Twinkle Toes.’

Alba’s words, teasing and heartfelt and loving filled his head, and it took everything Somnus had to not simply roll his eyes at the barn owl’s mocking statement of Delumine’s fine Warden. The said avian gave a satisfied flutter of her wings from her perch, beady black eyes knowing and keen as she stared upon the golden Sovereign before averting her predatory gaze into the churning waves of the rushing river.

So be it. And just like that, he let it go.

Giving a hearty laugh, Somnus pulled back just a touch as he shook his head, amusement lighting up his features. Verdant depths glittered mischievously beneath a veil of ivory silk and he spoke, lighthearted and amicable. “Perhaps I should plead for you to be my attendant,” he stated, good naturedly, “To deter the masses that cry for my attention.” From there he grew quiet, content to listen to Eulalie as she spoke. There was a melodious tone to her words, jovial and carefree and sure, as though she did not question the workings of her very own heart. It was a wonderful change from the typically cloying and stressful atmosphere that he found himself in, a breath of fresh air, and Somnus found that he was quite fond of the sound of her voice. It was curious, however, that she seemed to be so acquainted with Ulric. He had never known.

Eulalie spoke with a deeper understanding, of a wisdom that excelled beyond her years. ’I’ve spent my time getting reacquainted with myself, discovering what it is I’d like to do now that I have a whole world before me, unchained.’ Somnus’ gaze narrowed in careful scrutiny, confusion marring his expression for only a moment before it was brushed away beneath that neutral mask that he often wore. What did she mean by that? Her poise and dignity bespoke of a sense of pride, of overcoming, but the dunalino knew that it was not his place to press for answers.

They had, after all, just formally met, and Somnus was no demanding brute.

His head turned, following Eulalie’s warm chocolate gaze, to see the flitting shapes beneath the water. Upon her perch, Alba’s feathers ruffled in surprise, as the barn owl’s eyes had also caught the movement shimmering beneath the waves. Dolphins. The elusive pink dolphins. Somnus’ dark lips parted and his eyes roamed their features, watching as the two small mammals darted about in the waves, twisting and dancing within the water with a grace he could never even hope to emulate. Awe filled his breast, cataloguing every detail, every second, and a golden ear twitched back towards his companion as Eulalie spoke once more.

’The world is full of miracles, we just have to be patient enough to let them reveal themselves.’

“Truer words have rarely been spoken, my dear,” Somnus stated warmly, impressed and transfixed. The dolphins turned amidst the clear waters, dorsal fins breaching the top of the river as they played among the waves. It bespoke of a greater meaning to their life. Somewhere within the message that had been sent, by Oriens or the other patron Gods or from some higher force, was a lesson, and Somnus desperately found himself wanting to unravel the depths of it. Perhaps it was a lesson that Eulalie seemed to already understand, given the truth of her statement.

Perhaps there was much that he, a tactician and King, could learn from this jovial, heartfelt warrior at his side.

Somnus could not say for sure how long he stood there among the sun and the breeze, standing at the sunlit lady’s side, watching the dolphins play in the river. Eventually the two shimmering mammals grew bored, unaware of their spectators, and drifted further down the river until they were completely out of sight. It was a humbling experience, yet the Dawn King felt all the more privileged by it. Letting out a breath that he had been unaware of holding, he spoke, his voice hushed as though speaking too loudly would interrupt the moment that had fallen upon them.

“To witness something like this is an honor. I’m glad that I was not alone for it.” Straightening with a roll of a shoulder, the Dawn King regarded his compatriot with a certain fondness. “Imagine when we tell Ulric, hm? What might he say?” Somnus laughed, deep and full and completely. “I wish that I had brought a quill and paper, if only to document the moment on parchment. So few texts detail meetings of Rapax River dolphins."

xx
space

@Eulalie - Have a thoughtful Somnus! <3

Eulalie

"You need not plead," Eulalie said with a smile, simple, genuine, "only ask." And it was a simple thing, her willingness to be there for Somnus should he want it so. The woman of sunflowers and sunshine required nothing, needed nothing, but the enjoyment she felt from spending time with another. It was a thing she longed for, and on this day he had given it to her unexpectedly. That was something she would not forget and could never repay—companionship.

They stood in silence, side by side, and watched the dolphins romp and play amongst the waves of the river. There was little that needed saying at such a time as this. No, the sunkissed pair did not spoil the moment with words. They only observed, and Eulalie was in awe, delighted by the event, the miracle, that had been given to them. She wanted only to remember all the details, the slick of their skin, the slope of their backs, their happy chatter. She wanted to remember it all, should this be a first and a last all at the same time.

Eventually, the dolphins did indeed move on, disappearing around a bend, beneath the waves, to some other point along the river. Eulalie looked after them for a short moment, the expression on her face contemplative and wonder-filled. This was not something she thought she would ever forget, not something she could have ever dreamed at any midnight hour. Her head turned to Somnus as he spoke, their eyes meeting once again.

"I feel the same," she answered, and could not help the laugh that escaped her as he mentioned how Ulric might react once he was told of their discovery. "I think he might be very sore indeed, the poor fellow. Maybe next time he might take his own advice and get out with you?" Her smile was bright, her earthen eyes sparkling. Eulalie didn't think she could have asked for a more delightful interaction to feed her soul. 

"I would be more than happy to accompany you back to the library if you want some assistance with the details?" Eulalie posed the question without expectations, though she assumed he would want to chronicle the occasion as soon as possible and they had spent a fair amount of time by the riverside. Preparing herself to depart either way, she turned toward the direction of the court, back up river. She glanced skyward, toward the sun which had steadily been moving its way across the blue expanse.  She wore a lighthearted smirk as she spoke, heading back along the river's edge "I have a feeling Ulric will be more than pleased with your adventure today, don't you?"
@Somnus I think this is as good a place as any to exit <3

Dawn Court Scholar

S O M N U S

“Perhaps he might,” Somnus deduced after a moment of contemplation, thinking fondly of his dear friend and the Warden’s tendency to work himself into the ground, rarely seeking respite from his bouts of patrols and guard-duty unless otherwise forced. Truly, if anyone needed a good rest away from duty, it was the blue roan. Always bound by duty and dedication, that one, and while Somnus appreciated such fealty, not that he felt he deserved such a thing, he couldn’t help but fret over his dear friend’s welfare. He and Ulric had gone a long way back, after all. Somnus only wanted him to be well and happy. “I may need to co-conspire with you to attend to him as well.”

Then, came the offer. Eulalie’s thoughtful suggestion of accompanying him to the library to pen down their breathtaking experience caused the dunalino to pause, brows raised. Verdant eyes regarded the young sunflower maiden, gaze roaming to meet her own eyes of deep mahogany. It was sudden and rather spontaneous, her kind offer, but as he mulled it over he found that the idea had a certain amount of appeal to it. While a brilliant mind, Somnus knew that two accounts of what happened would serve to better prove their documentation as true, as they had both witnessed the rare and elusive river dolphins in their brilliant splendor. Allowing his surprise to slip, the Dawn King dipped his head in a nod, the smile on his lips growing.

“That would be splendid, my dear. Your assistance in penning down the experience would be most appreciated.” Turning slightly so that he faced the waters once more, hooves shuffling upon the shoreline of dirt, stone, and grass, Somnus turned his keen eyes to Alba. The barn owl, knowing that look upon her bond-mate, spread her wings and swooped into the sky in one graceful arc, coming to rest upon the Dawn King’s croup. Sharp talons bit into his skin, but he paid it little mind, instead turning away from the river at last and tilting his head for Eulalie to fall into step at his side.

Once more their conversation turned to that of Ulric, and unbidden, he laughed. His voice echoed among the trees, pondering in good nature and affection what Ulric may think upon hearing of their little outing away from the Citadel. “Oh, indeed, my good lady,” Somnus preened, continuing to chuckle even as they began their departure from the churning waves of the river and the dolphins that called the water ‘home’, “I daresay that he will. Perhaps next time he can accompany us on a stroll, and should we get lucky once more, he will get to see the dolphins.”

That, of course, was for another day. For now, Somnus was itching to reach the library and document the rare and exciting experience they had been blessed with. Such an excitement to hold a quill and transcribe the experience would have typically caused him to launch into the air and race to the library, but, well… Eulalie was ground-born, and her presence was heartwarming and pleasant. They would walk together, arrive together, and, as one, document the events of such a riveting afternoon.

A blooming friendship, indeed.

xx
space

@Eulalie – And Somnus out! :D This thread was so much fun!