Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - As We Are

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

S O M N U S

A brief discussion between his Regent and his Warden, and a decision had been made.

It was uncertain, really, how it all would play out. Impossible to say, actually, but, well. No one truly knew how it would work, but they wouldn’t know until they tried. All Somnus could do was take the words offered and advised to him, weigh the options presented before him, and make a decision. It was difficult, but that was the weight and burden of Kingship. It was a title he had not meant to gain, but here he was. His mantle had never felt so heavy.

“Orion.”

A beckon, a plea, a request for time that could be better afforded to someone else, someone who probably deserved Orion’s time far better than he did, but this was necessary. It was important. As much as he wished to simply sequester himself into his own personal quarters or hide within the vast shelves of the Library, he was here. Running, hiding, would not help anyone, especially the Court that he had promised to look after. The tactician understood Kasil’s seclusion far better than he ever had before. Emerald eyes, typically so keen and alert were instead marred by exhaustion, but Somnus still held himself poised and immaculate, head held high and straight and proud. Shoulders straight, spine rigid, bright sunlight catching the dusty gold of his coat, he appeared almost ethereal… Yet he felt the furthest thing of the sort.

“A moment of your time, if you would?”

The elegance of his accent was prudent, a subtle stress to the importance of the situation. There was no one around amidst the courtyard, and maybe that was for the best. This was a private conversation to be had, after all, and Somnus had never really appreciated eavesdroppers into his personal obligations. Alba was not with the Dawn King that afternoon, and instead had taken to the forests for an afternoon snack, leaving the two gentlemen to speak alone. He could feel her, of course, in that little niche within his heart reserved only for the barn owl, and he knew that Alba was positively done with his melancholic musings and self-doubts.

’Sort it out,’ Alba had hissed as she had taken to the skies in the silent way that only her breed could, ’Your Court needs you.’

Ah, but if only it was as easily done as said.

xx
space

@Orion

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Orion

ORION
exiled prince

Orion had grown.. used to this. To these lands. The Dawn Court was but an echo of what his past was, and he preferred it that way. A place where he could grow and get his own life together, finally start anew and perhaps find a happiness that had been yanked away from him at a tender young age.

As it were, the once prince had his head down, his nose buried in a book that had caught his attention, until his ears swiveled as his heard his name on an all too familiar voice. Carefully, he closed the book -- marking it on the page he'd left it on -- before he was getting up and moving, his hooves announcing his motions and movements.

Honestly, he didn't understand why the tone of voice was so.. hesitant? Even as he rounded the corner, he paused, his milky eyes widening as he looked over the Sovereign. Somnus looked.. he looked incredible in the light that poured over him, rendering the grullo paint speechless for a moment, a flutter in his chest only serving to make him cough a little and finally shake his horned head.

Stop staring, you idiot. He chastised himself before getting his legs to work again, and his expression warmed (as did his chest) as he neared the other. "Yes, Somnus? You can have as many moments of my time as you want," he offered, letting himself laugh a little, wondering why the other was so tense.

He had to resist the urge to simply lean in and nuzzle against a shoulder in comfort.

@Somnus || sommy omg

Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

S O M N U S

As Orion presented himself, ever regal and noble grace, Somnus’ dark lips twitched upwards into a small, tired smile. He was pleased that the grullo was settling so well within Delumine, and that he had chosen Dawn to call home. The dunalino was also pleased that Orion had not taken the path of the birds and had flown away, as many wanderers tended to do. So many of their court, up and gone…

It was unnerving, and did little for his stress as King. That thought was immediately halted before it could take root. Here, in public, he could not give in to the weight upon his shoulders nor the churning, troubled darkness of his mind. That was for later, in the private confines of his own chambers.

“You flatter me,” he stated nobly, his accent thick and warm and fond as he regarded the younger male with gentle verdant eyes, “I should like to spend more amicable moments in the company of a good friend. Unfortunately, I’m here on business of the Court.” The Dawn King paused, head tilting thoughtfully as strands of ivory silk glistened in the sunlight, the smooth ebony of his horn a beacon of light and dark. “Walk with me?”

A request and a demand, even though Somnus would never truly demand anyone or anything. He was a simple man, after all. King though he may be, he rarely pulled rank. It just wasn’t in his blood.

Deciding to continue along the pathway forward, the tactician-turned-Sovereign chose a slow, leisurely pace in which to share an abrupt stroll about. The summer sun was warm upon his back and shoulders, but he basked in it, allowing it to warm the deepest parts of him. Truly, Ulric was right; he really should get outside more… As Orion fell into step with him, Somnus began to speak, his voice casual yet heavy with the weight of importance.

“I know that you only recently began to call Delumine your home, but we are all the brighter for your presence. You are keen and educated and familiar with the internal working of the court.” Verdant eyes slid sidelong to focus on the spotted grullo at his side, his pace slow but confident. “At our last meeting you offered your services to be our Emissary. The position is yours, should you still wish to take it.” Then, Somnus smiled ruefully with a shake of his head. “Though I will not fault you if you wish to decline.”

xx
space

@Orion

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Orion

ORION
exiled prince

"Who says that we can't enjoy ourselves as well, when it comes to the business of the Court? Certainly it can't take up all that much time." Unfortunately, Orion had been present during times that had been rather full of business, back in his past as a bored colt, forced to attend. They had been long meetings however, not small face to face talks like this.

It was that, that gave him hope that perhaps he could steal the golden King for himself for a little while after.

All too gladly, Orion fell in to step next to the shorter man, their stroll languid and easy as they made their way through the court. The sun beamed down on them on the warm summer day, and Orion found himself happy to be outside. He should really come out more often, and bask in the sun, but there was much to read when it came to his new home, and he wanted to know as much as he could.

One ear flicked, and all of his attention was on his Sovereign as the golden man spoke. Honestly, the words came as.. a shock of some sort, his eyes widening only a fraction before relaxing, his scarred lips pulling up a little. "Ah, well that, I can certainly accept," he said with all the confidence he had. "My knowledge may be a little dusty and rusty, as are my skills but I will gladly put them up for use, and take up the position."

Here he had thought that the talk would have been far more serious.

The grullo paint relaxed his shoulders, letting out a chuckle as he lifted his head, aware that some prying eyes were looking at him, at the bitemark around his eye that had long been scarred in to place. "I thank you for the opportunity to serve Delumine well, Somnus."

@Somnus || <3

Dawn Court Scholar

S O M N U S

There was a familiarity with how Orion addressed him; so impersonal, so simple, so normal. It was a nice change from the typical stutters of ’You Majesty’ or ’King Somnus’ from the majority of the Court, the hushed whispers and bowing heads. The tactician didn’t think he would ever grow accustomed to it, not when he so passionately believed that he did not deserve such fealty. Unbidden, he sighed, a long and deep breath rattling from his lungs.

“Indeed,” he agreed simply, as Somnus was a man of few words. Quick and to the point. It was simply how he was, how he had always been. “Perhaps you are right. Apologies. My mind and body tends to withhold the stresses from Court when I should be finding a better way to relax.” Anything, really, at this point. Tension coiled in every muscle, from the tightness in his shoulders and wing-joints, the furrow of his brow, and the clench of his jaw. Sooner or later it would all catch up to him.

He hoped, for his sake, that it was later than sooner.

Then, the dunalino held his tongue and retained his silence, letting Orion take as much time as he needed to with his answer. It was surprisingly abrupt, his agreement, requiring little time to formulate an answer when. Warm gratitude pooled in his chest, and Somnus smiled, just a bit of that tension finally slipping away from the golden man’s shoulders. Keen verdant slid sideways, watching Orion from the corner of his eye as they remained at their leisurely pace, strolling about the courtyard in counsel. He hoped that the grullo princeling could handle the stresses and requirements of his newfound position, and that he would push himself to do everything that he could for Delumine. It was mandatory, after all. One did not retain their position if they simply stood still and idle.

The Emissary was a position of political prowess and gilded tongues. It was their duty to formulate and build the relations between their Court and others. Through positivity and negativity, the Emissary was the ’face’ of its corresponding Court, and Somnus hoped that Orion would not disappoint. Ipomoea had been a grand Emissary, and those would certainly be large shoes to fill.

Despite his newfound worries, the Dawn King’s smile remained. “Brilliant, Orion. You have my thanks. I hope to see many great things from you in the future.”

With that, he allowed all topics of the Court to drop. Already he was looking forward to sequestering himself within his personal chamber and losing himself to an awaiting novel, perhaps over a cup of tea or coffee. Perhaps Ulric would join him. He made a mental note to send out a servant to drag the dutiful Warden away from his strict schedule after parting ways from Orion.

“I haven’t even asked yet; are you settling quite well within Dawn, Orion? I’m hoping that you are finding Delumine to your liking, the scenery and its people.”

xx
space

@Orion

Orion

ORION
exiled prince

"I can only hope that I can do those great things, and of course, offer up as many services that are needed."

There was nothing much else to talk about Court wise, or so he supposed, and Orion felt the tension slide down his neck and then off of his back. Perhaps the two of them could keep to one another's company, depending. Shaking the thoughts, the now newly appointed Emissary smiled at the Sovereign, letting out a chuckle as he heard him. "I actually am, thank you for asking, Somnus. I find this court and its people warm and inviting, and it's a beautiful place that I would rather not leave in the future." He wanted to stick around the best he could, and he would keep to that.

After all, he was Emissary now, and not only that, but there was a soft spot somewhere in that grullo chest of his for the dunalino, he found. Perhaps it was the company that came with him, how at ease he felt. It was the most secure he'd felt in a long time.

Easing the thoughts from his mind, the taller stallion found himself aimlessly walking, the two of them having no particular place to really wind up, and they were passing up many beautiful flowers and many faces. Ducking his horned head, Orion paused a second to briefly nuzzle at a few flowers, huffing as he felt the pollen tickle his nose, lifting his head and wrinkling scarred flesh, the yellow pollen particles sticking to the darker hairs.

"So, tell me, Somnus. Now that I'm Emissary, does this mean I can perhaps see you a little more often? Even if it's for Court things... I rather enjoy your company."

@Somnus || <3

Dawn Court Scholar

S O M N U S

It was good to hear that at least Orion had settled into Delumine and was beginning to consider the area his home. Not that Somnus had been concerned, not at all. The man was fluent in his words and mannerisms, noble of mind and soul, and he had no doubt that the spotted grullo would have any trouble settling into his new home. It was, however, good to hear all the same, and Somnus’ smile remained, soft and gentle as he gave a wise nod in return. Good, good.

“Splendid, Orion. I’m relieved to hear it.” For some time it had seemed like anyone who ventured into Delumine’s beautiful and lush forests lingered for some time before ultimately disappearing. Where they went, no one seemed to know, but it did put a damper on things when familiar faces, the faces of those he considered friends, would just up and leave without a hair or trace. Things felt as though they were changing, however, and Somnus wondered, with hope alight in his breast, that the times were ushering in a new era for Dawn. A new day, as cliché as the statement may seem. Only time would tell.

With a sidelong glance Somnus watched as Orion took a moment to dip his head, elegant and graceful as nobility tended to be, and take a sniff at one of the blooming flowers near their hooves. The scent must have been quite stronger than anticipated and the pollen potent, if the newly-named Emissary’s following sharp exhale was anything to go by. Unbidden, the Dawn King laughed, deep but modest. “Careful, lest a bee buzz right up your nostril. Perhaps someday I’ll tell you of a time that happened to me, when I was but a colt.” Of course, he had been a different fellow all together back then; clumsy and boisterous, far too curious for his own good, and desperate to shadow his older brother’s every move.

The thought of the stallion, missing and gone, was enough to steal away Somnus’ smile but for a moment before he shoved the thought aside. No matter. There was no reason to worry about him, or even think about him ever again. He was gone, perhaps even for good.

Letting out a soft hum as their walk continued, leisurely and relaxing through the gardens, insects buzzing about, Somnus grinned almost ruefully. “Perhaps. I believe we’ll be working quite closely together from here on out. I have faith that you won’t disappoint us, my good man, but if you need anything at all, please don’t hesitate to ask. You know that I’ll offer my services in whatever way that I can.” Perhaps, one day, he and Orion would be as close as he and Ipomoea were. They were similar souls, he and the kindhearted appaloosa, and had taken to each other quite easily. Hopefully that same trust, that same camaraderie, could be shared between each of them. Hopefully that would make their court strong and stable.

Hopefully…

Clearing his throat, the dunalino rolled a golden shoulder, hooves scraping against the rough mortar. “Shall we continue our walk? And then, perhaps, a bite to eat before settling down for some reading?”

xx
space

@Orion – I’m trying to clean up my thread list, so I think this will make for Somnus’ exit post, if that’s alright? :D

Orion

ORION
exiled prince

Food and reading, it sounded like a wonderful plan. Really, Orion was already beginning to speak to the Sovereign once more, and they found themselves both in conversation about day to day life as they walked.

Orion, being Orion, also included the small owl in to the conversation here and there, and it was a lovely day to look forward to. A step in the right direction, of course, for Delumine. He hoped he could offer much to her people and prove himself to be a great asset.

For now, however, he was more than pleased to simply fall in to step with the other, to enjoy the day and smile as they talked.

@Somnus || perfect, i declare this wrapped up!