Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - freedom at last

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Araxes

ARAXES
tender heart

The gates had opened and Araxes had been off like a shot, through the towering archway and out in to the world again. Her hooves had pounded the ground as she moved through the pass, ears down, and she had come jolting up the massive mountain, staggering at the very summit and taking in deep breaths of crisp air. Here was where all the commotion had been, and now she stood before a literal wall of trees, her head leaning up and wings fanning out on either side of her head.

For once, the little Denoctian bird had no words to speak, instead blinking and silently thanking the deities. It was unlikely that Tempus had sent the bird to simply for them, oh no. This.. was something else, but she was still ever grateful. If not for the deity, it was unlikely that the gates would have opened for a while, and she felt herself relax.

Free, she was no longer trapped. Never in her life had she felt as if she were trapped and yet... there in Denocte, she had. It had been an awful feeling, something that had squirmed in her gut, had made her uneasy. Staying home was one thing, being told she had to because of fear of a dragon harming her should she leave was a different story. She had hated it.

Now, she stood, taking in breaths and relaxing herself, offering her silent thanks, and perhaps hoping to see... someone. Family, maybe, here in this magic soaked place.

@ any @ idk || FREEDOOOOOM

Indra

life's but a walking shadow

It’s cool in the mountain foothills, and Indra leans into the wind as she picks her way up the stony path, placing her hooves carefully. Down among the swamps and fields of Terrastella, autumn had still been little more than a nip of chill against the cheek, a brush of frost over the fields at sunrise—but here, beneath the long shadow of Veneror’s peak, winter’s grip is already tightening, stripping the leaves from the trees and scaling the mountain ponds with ice.

The unicorn snorts, her breath steaming white in the air before her. She’d offered to help the aged Ilati shaman by gathering blue flowers from the highlands, but his description had been vague, and the season hardly promising. A glance over the landscape reveals more of the same: brown earth, dense clusters of pines, a few lingering purple streaks of fireweed and campion as a last relic of summer. No blue, as far as she can see; even the sky lurks behind a murky screen of clouds.

But her eye is drawn by something else: a line of horses angling toward the base of Veneror itself, the crowd swelling like a tide against the rocky slopes. Curious, she adjusts her own course, the blue flowers shrinking in her mind as she quickens her pace, and it isn’t long before she intercepts the growing herd. Watching, listening, she falls in among them.

There is a nervous energy to them—eager, purposeful, and a little afraid. By their conversation she gleans they hail from all four of the courts, and she sharpens her attention, knowing there has been strife across the land. There is talk of the gods, and the regimes, and the nature of things to come.

And then they are all spilling into a clearing, and Indra can see up ahead that Florentine and the other court leaders are pushing their way through a narrow break in the wood. The last of the regime members slips through, and the trees close, as if no path had ever been. There is no clap of thunder, no bursting light, no sign from the gods (and Indra, for one, is rather skeptical of any gods)—nothing at all but for the rest of them to wait, uncertain, outside the grove.

Indra turns to her nearest neighbor, a speckled white mare with small, delicate wings spreading behind her ears. “What do you expect is going on in there?” she asks, tipping her horn toward the sealed meeting. She lets a smile creep over her mouth as she thinks of the political nightmare about to unfold, with all of the clashing regimes forced suddenly into one small space. “I can’t imagine it will be long before a fight breaks out.”

i n d r a

@Araxes @ it's a garbage post sorry but hiiiii :)

Araxes

ARAXES
tender heart

Freedom was an odd taste on her tongue, but it was nice to know she could leave her court without the threat of a dragon deciding to charbroil her against her will. It had been.. rough, that was certain, but now she could breathe easier, and perhaps look at her regime with a more critical eye than she had in the beginning. She was not one to hold grudges, but the bubble of mistrust had taken root, spreading out and digging in to her deep.

Shaking her head, she watched the regimes of the courts disappear in to the doors, and they closed once more, sealing up as if they had never even formed in the tree trunks in the first place. A terrifying notion, to say the least. Would they all be held there? Would Tempus keep them? She found she wasn't too worried about it, something that startled her, and Araxes instead exhaled, her small wings tucking back up against her head, and she backed up several steps away from the large crowd of horses that had formed.

Her ears flicked, and she was rather surprised she was still near someone, but there was a smile on her mottled lips, soft and pink and black as she looked at her. She was a unicorn, and Ara wasn't one to shy away from anyone. "Not sure, but Tempus called them himself..." she trailed, blinking a few times as she looked at the trees, leaning her head back to see the canopy above. "With the deities around? I don't think so. Starting something here would be... borderline suicide."

@Indra || !!! o: shush it's fine omg i cannot ahhhh

Indra

Indra’s own expression is one of mild interest as the other mare turns toward her, but at the stranger’s words, the unicorn’s brows lift slightly. “You think Tempus himself is in that meeting?” she asks, her tone suspended somewhere between incredulity and awe. She has never been the type to put much stock in deities—she’s never seen a sign of favor, nor asked for one, and she’d be lying if she claimed to believe with her whole heart in their existence. Still, something in the other mare’s words, the sincerity of them, sends a little thrill running down Indra’s spine. The gods, here?

Her gaze follows the stranger’s, roving over the clearing, the gathered horses, the tree line, the sealed meeting place. “Do you believe the gods walk among us,” she muses, curious as to the other’s views, “to watch, and listen, and mete out punishment?” Novus, she knows, takes its religion very seriously, at least compared to other worlds that she has travelled. Many of its inhabitants were come from far-flung places—but the natives she has met so far, at least, are generally devout. “Even if it’s suicide,” she continues dryly, “I wouldn’t put it past some of them.” She’s heard enough of the tempers raging between the courts to doubt if even the gods’ displeasure would be a deterrent, should disagreements escalate.

Remembering the way that Night had closed its gates, threatening brimstone to any who might cross, she shivers again—a very different kind of shiver than the one that had passed through her a moment before. She glances back at her companion, her golden eyes glittering in the sunlight. “I’m Indra,” she offers, “of the Dusk Court. I guess that means I should watch out for Vespera.” A flicker of a smile. “And who is your deity of choice?”

i n d r a

@Araxes @ sorry to be so slow! I guess rn I'm just playing this as if it's before the rockslide,
since I have her reacting to that in a different thread, but feel free to take it wherever you like :)

Araxes

ARAXES
tender heart

The question took her slightly off guard, but Araxes smiled all the same, a small thing as her wings tucked in against her head, behind her ears, burying against her skull. "Yes. The bird that arrived in Denocte... it carried his voice. Like the echo of the world, deep and carrying. I'm certain he is in that meeting as well, though how he chose to show himself, we won't know." No, only the regime would know, and who knew if they would tell their people anything. Ever since the closing of the gates, they had not spoken to anyone in the court, let alone their champions. It was disheartening.

"From what I know.. they haven't in a long time... but they've shown their faces here and now. So maybe, just maybe, they'll start walking among us once more.. it would be thrilling, certainly, to see them among us once more." Araxes smiled fondly at the thought of her patron deity, of Caligo. The one that had been through so much... perhaps she could straighten things out, or give advice. Certainly, isolating themselves had not been the answer, and now that they were welcoming again.. it would be a slow process to once more revive the court to its former glory, but it could be done.

Turning her head toward her company, there was a smile on her mottled lips. "I am Araxes. I will be on the look out for Caligo myself." The words were soft, and she relaxed herself. She remembered the threat of the dragon far too well, though she had attempted to leave once or twice, the gates had been firmly shut and guarded. She would have braved the dragon as well, something that shouldn't have been a threat to the Denoctians, but had been.

"Night Court is my home," she whispered, and there was a sadness in her words. So much had changed in her time there, for years. "I am the Champion of Wisdom, though I don't feel so wise with what has happened." The council had been shunted aside for the regime to instead pull a decision that had outcasted many.

@Indra @ || It's alright!! I don't mind at all ahhh

Indra

Indra had not been privy to the arrival of Terrastella’s messenger bird, and so she listens with interest as Araxes describes the god’s summons at the Denoctian court. “That must have been a moment to remember for a lifetime,” she murmurs, her mind less on the will of the god than on how it must have felt to be reminded so unexpectedly of one’s own insignificance, one’s own mortality. What had stuttered through each regime member’s heart, she wonders, at the sound of that impossible voice? She cannot help but think of Florentine, touched since birth by the magic of Time, and what the encounter might have meant to the flower queen.

Her present companion is still speaking of the gods, and Indra nods her head thoughtfully, more curious than she’d be willing to admit to hear what the stranger had to say. There was something so earnest about the other mare’s words that it was difficult to doubt her, despite her own skepticism. “Have you ever been blessed by one?” she asks. “Or know someone else who has?” She had heard rumors of strange and wondrous gifts bestowed upon those who held the deities’ favor: magic, or abilities, or mystical companions. In the riftlands, Indra’s veins had flowed with powers of their own, but there had been no gods in that place except for time and the rift itself.

The mare introduces herself as Araxes, Champion of Wisdom for the Night Court, and Indra can hear the sorrow in her words as she describes her home. “I understand these have been difficult months in Denocte,” the unicorn says carefully, her golden eyes seeking Araxes’ own. “I am sorry for everything you’ve had to go through.” For a moment she pauses, curiosity warring with a desire not to intrude, but she cannot help herself. “What is the situation now? Has anything changed?” And she wonders if this meeting with the gods might be more than just a holy experience—might be a chance for the four courts of Novus to come together and try again for peace.

i n d r a

@Araxes @ :))

Araxes

ARAXES
tender heart

The days of an innocent past were long gone. Once, Araxes had held the hope in her heart that there was good in all, no matter how they acted. It had been a belief of hers that she had held since she was young, but the Denocte regime had changed that. Had shown her that there were some that made choices that were horrifying, destructive, wrong. Choices that could have been avoided, but they had blindsided their council, their people, with them. There had been no debate, merely an announcement that had rung like a heavy bell throughout the court, had reverberated through all of them.

It had struck her, in particular, very deep.

Tilting her head, her attention was given once more to Isra, her lips twitching slightly in to a vague smile. The phantom of one danced on her features, and she shook her head. "I myself have not.. but I knew of one or two that were blessed. Granted creatures from fantasy. I fell in love with someone that held abilities." Tor. The reminder of the large stallion brought a sense of peace, and she wondered if he would look at her and tell her he had known the treachery that had come to light.

Taking in a breath, she only shook it out instead, pushing away thoughts and looking away from the large trees, from what lay beyond, to watch her new companion. "Yes. The regime have disappeared. They made their choice, and ran, as if tucking tails between their legs and trying to escape. I haven't seen them in a long while. I'm not even sure if they're in the meeting themselves." Her voice took on a new tone, one more determined, as her eyes shifted a little, watching Indra.

"They've left a mess behind, but I for one, am not going to stand for it. Denocte will rise again, and we will never forget what betrayal we suffered."

@Indra @

Indra

Indra tilts her head in interest as Araxes describes having known a few horses who were granted fantastical companions. She has not seen any herself, yet, roaming the lands of Novus—at least, none that she has recognized for what they are—but she has heard mention of such creatures. Perhaps, she thinks grimly, even the dragons of Denocte were among them, bound to fulfill the whims of those who governed the court. The thought does not give her much comfort, to know that there are individuals with such powerful allies at their bidding.

Araxes mentions a lover, and the unicorn allows herself a small smile, though something in the phrasing—I fell in love—gives her pause, with its sense of ending. It is not her place, of course, to ask what became of that relationship, and so she simply nods, her horn glinting in the sunlight. As Araxes continues, explaining the disappearance of the Night regime, Indra’s sense of foreboding grows. What sort of leadership would abandon their people in a time of need—and moreover, a time of great change, with the gods themselves at hand? And what could it mean, that these rulers had vanished without a trace?

“That is troubling,” Indra says carefully. “I wonder if the people of Night will try to pursue them and learn what happened. I hope a new regime will step up to take their place, and provide Denocte with the guidance that it needs.” As Araxes asserts her own commitment to her kingdom, Indra nods again, liking the ferocity in her eyes. “The Night Court is lucky,” she says, “to have Champion as loyal as yourself.”

It is only then that Indra notices the crowds around them packing in more tightly, the horses shifting with restlessness, the sun beating down fiercely overhead. She has lost track of time, she realizes guiltily, remembering the blue blooms she had promised to find for Turhan. A glance around the clearing is all that it takes to convince her that this situation won’t likely be changing any time soon; she has little doubt that she can slip away to complete her errand and return without missing a thing.

“I should be going,” she says to Araxes, “but perhaps we’ll meet again soon. I wish you and Denocte the best.” And with a parting toss of her mane, the unicorn turns and is gone.

i n d r a

@Araxes sorry for the unreasonable wait!! figured I'd wrap this one up since it's so old now,
but perhaps they'll bump into each other again some time :3

Araxes

ARAXES
tender heart

The crowd was restless, but there was nothing for those in Denocte to do, save for wait. Araxes released a low breath, but her eyes were drawn over to the other mare, a small smile tugging on saddened lips. "..Perhaps we will. I thank you." She was left to watch after the unicorn as she walked away, her wings shuffling at the sides of her head before she turned herself.

It took her a moment, but she could see departing forms of other Denoctians, and she was soon to follow, to ensure their safety and health, to ensure that all would be alright.

It would have to be.

It's okay! Finished!