Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - I knelt before some stranger's face

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Indra

life's but a walking shadow

It is in the quiet following the summit—after Florentine has come upon their group from behind, informing them that the regimes are free; after the crush of weary, curious horses has swept its way back down the mountainside toward the four courts—that Indra seeks out the painted mare.

I remember you, the mare had whispered, and the hair along Indra’s spine had risen, and her mind had filled with ghosts. Here, in the sunlit forest clearing, the paint could not be anything but real. But the last time the unicorn had seen her, wrapped in smoke and moonlight—

A different lifetime. A different horse, Indra might have thought, were the blood-marks on the pale mare not so impossible to forget.

There had been no time, then, to respond. Indra’s golden eyes had lifted to meet those of the not-quite-stranger, and only their fraction’s widening had betrayed her recognition. Then it was back to straining against boulders, back to sharpening her blade.

Now, though—Indra goes to where the mare stands on a small rise amidst the rubble, surveying what remains of the crowd. Even in silence the paint looks like a battle-cry, her mane streaming behind her. The dark blazes across her eyes make her seem fierce, and watchful, though Indra doubts she would be any less so without them.

“Your friends did well,” Indra says, her voice low as she steps up to take a place beside her. She does not know the lightning unicorn, or the blood-colored stallion with his tail like a scythe, but she had seen the kinship between the three of them, the invisible net of gestures and glances that bound them close. She does not need to ask whether they, too, had come through from the rift. “The gods might play their games with us, but they will know, now, that we are ready for them. They will not forget that we are waiting, and we are angry, and we are strong.”

Her gaze drifts over the last few remaining horses winding their way down along the mountain, and she cannot help but wonder where each one is headed, what each one must think. Did the regimes reach an accord here, under the thumb of the gods? Would the courts have peace?

Or was this just one more injustice, one more act of violence, one more catalyst for suffering and strife?

The unicorn glances again at her companion, at the powerful stillness of the mare. Indra wonders what has brought her here—what purpose she might chase. She herself has been so lacking in direction, lately, and she gives a restless stamp of a hoof, the iron drawing sparks from the stone beneath them. “What will you do now?”

i n d r a

@Shrike <3

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Shrike

She was not surprised when the mare - the unicorn - came to find her as the cacophony of the summit fades like a dying chorus. What whims of fate could surprise her anymore, after the reunion with her lion-heart?

Some might assign such events to the gods, but in two worlds now she has seen their works, and if the rift lands had ever known a god it was now dead or mad. No - there was something more at work, and maybe it was blasphemous even to think it (so soon after breathing in once more the scent of Calliope, all black fire) but Shrike wondered if they were all slaves to fate. Even those that called kings to meetings, and trapped them in like lambs.

“They always do,” she said by way of answer, and drew her gaze from the friends in question. Shrike wore no smile, but the keen curiosity in her gaze and the wry tone of her voice was almost as good.

The both of them are coated in dust and sweat and the scent of the same, but the paint knew it was not the only thing that yoked them. When she closed her eyes she saw strange smooth-sided towers rising up from mist, and a lake like glass, and a burning golden gaze. When she opened her eyes, she met the gaze again.

“Gods have short memories,” she said, but there was no rebuke in her tone, only a weariness and an anger like a vein of iron, rust red. “But I hope there are many to remind them.” Her gaze, too, drifted then over the dwindling crowd, only looking back at the clash of iron on stone. This, at last, drew a sliver of smile along the line of her mouth.

Even so, she could only shake her head at the question. “I will wait and see what comes of this - and what Calliope and Raymond make of it, too. I have no claim in this world.” Her dark eye met the unicorn’s, and she lifted an oxblood brow. “I’m Shrike,” she added after a beat, and there was something almost reluctant in the giving of her name - as though in using it she was letting go of a little of the mystery, a little of the fate.

But for once in her life (perhaps a lingering effect of her lonely death, or something about the looks Calliope and Raymond shared, hot and pointed as a sword in the forge) she thought it wise to widen her circle of companions.

don't do much these days
keep the wolves at bay

@Indra