Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - the have-its and the have-nots

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Vendetta

when it rains, it pours
there will be blood in the water
Vendetta's rarely left Solterra's, even on matters of business. She had people for that. But when the invitations had arrived even she had been intrigued about what the new Night Court regime was planning, and then she thought it would give her a chance to learn more about their blackmarket for herself.

When she heard about the masquerade, it only got better.

The pintaloosa was adorned in her usual finery, roses the color of fresh blood mixed with gilded pearls and a skirt so delicate it seemed to float across the floor. This night, however, there was one addition: an obsidian velvet mask of scrolling, intricate patterns that wove together. From beyond it we're her eyes, looking on, shining as brightly as polished rubies.

As Vendetta weaved through each room of Denocte's keep, every inch of her screamed look at me, from the confident tilt of her head to the sway of her red clad hips, to the click of her cloven hooves. There was nothing subtle about her--she was as much an attraction as any of the decorations or performers and heads turned when she walked by. None of them interested her.

She ended up in the room of black and white, the color scheme befitting as the unicorn appeared black as night in most light rather than the true deep red brown that she was. Like blood spilled on soil.

There Vendetta lingered, gaze tracing over the curves and edges of all those gathered. Somewhere Azrail stood nearby, she could feel him, though he was most likely keeping to the shadows, ever watchful. Though he was silent, she could sense his protectiveness. Tonight, however, Vendetta was the predator. It was others who would need protecting.
Trouble has arrived...

Avdotya

There were no invitations with Avdotya’s name written in pretty swooping letters, no parchment that beckoned her presence to Denocte’s grand halls. It would take a fool, after all, to welcome a murderess into one’s home... and yet, there she was, gliding across the stone floors with bone and fine metals tinkling with her every stride; she was the picture of savage grace, adorned in red, silken sashes and polished gold that reflected even the dullest flicker of light. Her scarred face, too, lay hidden behind a mask intricately carved of bone -she was unmistakably Solterran, but to many just another child of Solis. The viper’s name had certainly fallen from many tongues across Novus, but outside of the desert capitol, most would not know her by appearance, especially not without her bearskin. 

Now, whether or not that actually held true, it seemed Avdotya did not care.

She proceeded through corridor with utter nonchalance, brushing past merry party-goers in their fancy attire as if they were barely there. It was the room dripping in black and white that the woman ended up, slithering through its doors and very quickly helping herself to a small drink. Solis knew she needed something to tolerate such a crowd. And it was while the last of Avdotya’s drink slid down her throat that she noted one mare in particular. If she could recall correctly, they called her The Pearl Mistress (she was not all that familiar with the faces of the black market, but there were a few that had made enough of a name for themselves). By the looks of her, she seemed exceptionally ready to cause a problem.

Avdotya would have been keen to watch, but she rather found herself more interested in involvement than she did quiet observation tonight. So, the Davke Queen slunk closer. ”Careful,” she murmured as she pulled up beside her, ”I hear crows are quite fond of collecting pretty things.” One could only assume Night Court's troubled flock still lurked somewhere within its plentiful shadows.

@vendetta <3

OOTD here~ + some bone mask idk

image © aapex

Vendetta

when it rains, it pours
"Crows should be wary of a hawk, no matter how pretty its feathers might be," Vendetta answered coolly, ruby red eyes settling on the adorned woman who joined her. Dressed in gold and red and bone, carrying the unmistakable smell of sun and sand on her skin, the woman was clearly of Solterra though Vendetta could not say if she knew her. The unicorn rarely bothered to learn the names and faces of those who didn't have a direct effect on her work.

Her gaze slid off the woman's dark skin and back to the crowd. This wasn't exactly the excitement she had been hoping for, unless her newfound company had some other motive. "And you? Why should the crows fear you? Surely you don't wear that mask to come off as welcoming." What she really wanted to ask was: how can you be useful to me, then?

Sensing the turning of the wheels in her head, Azrail suggested, "Perhaps we should not dishonor our hosts by causing a scene?" A part of Vendetta signed with exasperation. She trusted her bonded dearly but he was so much more reserved that she. The other part of her spoke, "It's all dear and lovely, but it's quite... tame, is it not?" A shadow of a smirk passed over her lips. What she had really been hoping for was someone she could glean a little information from, but what had she ended up with? Maybe a fellow Solterran could help?
@Avdotya

Avdotya

A wry smile curled her lips just slightly. A hawk in its element was sure to be deadly, but they found themselves deep within the crows’ own nest - while Denocte was now ruled by a far different hand, play the wrong card and you might still find a blade pressed firmly against your throat. Having already met Raum, even a woman of Avdotya’s calibre could appreciate a talent such as theirs... and yet she did not argue her company’s point. Should it come to anything, experience was a valuable teacher (and she certainly wouldn’t be adverse to a free show).

At the mare’s question, she merely rolled her shoulders with nonchalance. ”I don’t often venture into the Capitol, I must admit. This was simply the best medium the Mors had to offer.” It was true, there really was not a lot one could work with in a desert; however, she happened to leave more detail out of her story and that was entirely intentional. ”I am but a wandering disciple of Solis, there is little need for fear in my line of work lest it born from His mighty fury.” The usual blaze that burned in her eyes was but a warm glow as she spoke to Vendetta, emulating the quiet identity she had just created for herself. She was a viper under the guise of a gentle lamb, and she looked to the other mare with feigned interest. ”Are you a follower of his as well?”

Her attention then fell to the crowd that was spread out before them, countless faces that mingled easily with one another. Some engaged in conversation, others indulged themselves in a languid dance, it was indeed tame, as Vendetta had described it. ”I suppose there could be more to it all,” Avdotya agreed, nodding as she did so, ” but I do believe Denocte’s new Queen holds very different values than its prior King once had. She is no Reichenbach.” She chuckled, then found herself taking a hearty swig from the drink that sat idly in the grasp of her telepathy. Laughter did not come naturally to a snake.

@vendetta

image © aapex

Vendetta

when it rains, it pours
Vendetta knew of cery few who called the desert home without residing within the capital itself, and they all came with one name attached to them: Davke. Now, the unicorn had never seen the desert warrior's queen as she was, so she could not speak to whether or not this was her or one of her followers. Still, one fine brow quirked behind the velvet cover of her mask.

Neither did Vendetta truly care if that was who stood beside her. Zolin had been a pig and a bastard, and she might have killed him herself if the Davke woman hadn't done it first. She, perhaps, should feel protective of her court considering past events involving the two groups, but her loyalty did not fall to her court. She had no real attachment to them.

Vendetta didn't call what she suspected was a bluff, though she had a more keen interest in the woman who dared to wear death to a party. "I do as I please. If my goals happen to align with Solis' desires of his people then it is mere coincidence and a benefit to him." It was not that Vendetta disliked the sun god or refused him as her deity but she did not and would never follow. At least he'd managed to get rid of the elk and return some sense of normalcy to Solterra.

All she knew of the regime, past and present, of Denocte was politics and business. She had not met Reichenbach and had et to meet their new queen, but she wondered how the loss of its gypsy king and his command of the crows would affect the Night Court's blackmarket. It would only benefit her, of course, if it happened to be negative.

"I will say that she is adept at creating strangely alluring worlds," Vendetta spoke at last, her blood red eyes traveling around the room of black and white they stood in. "It makes me wonder what sort of reality she lives in, and if it is this one then she is looking through rose stained lashes."
@Avdotya

Avdotya

It seemed the hook she had cast was not meant to find its quarry tonight.

As she realized this, a poisonous scowl nearly befell those smiling lips, its sharpened nails trying desperately to peel away the feigned pleasantness. It was a shame Vendetta had not taken so quickly to her story, it had been a while since she was last able to play this game... nevertheless, Avdotya did not disrobe herself from the identity she’d created. ”Perhaps... but I doubt you are of much relevance to him, then. Why seek the benefits of the non-pious when there are better to choose from.” A smile still remained so sweetly upon her face, and not once did she turn her head to make eye-contact. but it was it seemed she was letting slip the venom that lingered behind her facade.

Eventually the woman’s attention shifted to the details of their surroundings, of which there few. This room in particular was quite simple - elegant, but simple. There was nothing but black and white, drawing more focus to the attendees rather than the room itself. It could be assumed that was the purpose of it, to draw all eyes to the most extravagant of guests, and Avdotya could not help but agree with the other mare’s observation. Of course, she did not know Isra well enough to truly believe the Night Queen was living in a world of fantasy.

”I imagine one does not gain a position of such power on a path paved of naivety.”  She finally replied. The viper knew this well enough; Solterra’s crown was hers to refuse once upon a time, and it had not been brought to her on a silver platter. ”These worlds of hers could surely serve great purpose outside of the trivial merriment she has created for us this evening.” Avdotya’s eyes finally drifted from the crowd that danced before them, soon settling on the red that peeked out from behind Vendetta’s mask. ”I’m sure you would agree.”

@vendetta
I'm so sorry this took so long, I'm going to try my darnedest to keep up better!

image © aapex

Vendetta

when it rains, it pours

Vendetta could not help the laugh that escaped her at the other woman’s words. How dare she suggest that the unicorn was somehow less than anyone. Whether Vendetta’s suspicions about this woman were correct or not, it seemed they had a very poor grasp of who she was, and what she did. “I suppose you mean...you, then?” And if the corner of her lip curled in amusement it was only for a moment, like an illusion. Let Solis go groveling for attention from the so-called pious. His wants mattered not to her, for he had absolutely no hand in her success.

Where had Solis been, then, when she’d been born into slavery, had her mother sold and then her child? Sitting happily up in his seat in the sky, looking down on them, bothering only with the devout and righteous. A fire burned in her ruby eyes at the thought. Oh yes, the nobles were no doubt very pious—worshiping Solis for his coat of gold, wishing they could have it for themselves, for all that mattered to them was their riches.

She might have scoffed if it weren’t for Azrail, his steady presence. She might have continued out loud, letting this so called disciple hear just what she thought of Solis, if he hadn’t spoken. ’Composure,’ is all he spoke to her and she knew he was right. Begrudgingly. So, the unicorn set her shoulders and narrowed her eyes and kept the rest of her opinions to herself.

“No, one certainly does not,” that much she could agree with this bone-bearing woman on. Her climb to power had taken cunning, intellect and mettle. Every step she’d been forced back, she’d taken 3 more for herself out from under the ones who stood in her way. Whoever this Isra was, she’d done something or been someone to catch the demi-goddesses attention. In time they would see if she was truly worth it. All truths were exposed in time.

Vendetta looked out at the room as the mare continued, catching on everything that adorned it. The decor on the walls, the tables, hanging from the ceiling all the way to the costumes worn by various staff members were black and white. Half one, half the other, swirling and mixing and contrasting each other. If this had all somehow been a magical creation of Denocte’s new Queen’s, it would stand then, to reason, that she could transform almost anything. Vendetta wondered what she really could create, that was not meant for idle enjoyment. “They could, if used properly,” was all she said.
@Avdotya *grimacing emoji*

Avdotya

She stood, expressionless, when her company so poorly attempted to rattle those pious bones. Indeed, Avdotya meant herself; Solis had made her into a weapon that night so long ago, shaped her from his harsh desert realm and groomed her for absolute destruction. She was no noble sitting pretty atop velvet cushions when he’d reached for her bloodied body within Zolin’s forsaken pits, she did not know fortune and all its pretty pennies... yet it was her he sought out and it was her who he’d sent as his harbinger of death for a boy king unfit to rule. Yes, for Solis, Avdotya would happily bathe the world in blood 

Once more, then, Avdotya turned her head and stared into the other woman’s eyes with not a single trace of emotion in her own. ”I do.” Would you like to challenge me on that? her gaze asked. The viper’s devotion was a dangerous thing, violent and temperamental in its ways  Some may have called it blind reverence - truly, it was their own prerogative. Let them stare down their noses as their bodies slowly wrinkled and withered with age, let them chuckle until they choked on their own mortality. She would be there smiling down upon them with eternity coursing through her veins.

And then the tension loosed itself from the pair, leaving them to their stale chatter of politics and power in a nation that was not their own. ”All things pretty eventually lose their sweetness.” Avdotya remarked. Give the Night Queen enough time and she was certain her dreamy little worlds of make believe would find deadly purpose. Nothing innocent ever survived.

The mare’s eyes wandered again, watching two young dancers flit about the ballroom floor. Their fluid steps were almost hypnotizing, holding Avdotya’s attention until they disappeared into the ever-moving crowd. Like gargoyles the women were, two stone cold figures with eyes always vigilant... and still they were eons apart.

@vendetta
ladies chill

image © aapex

Vendetta

when it rains, it pours

Please, Vendetta thought, holding the other woman’s gaze unwaveringly as she turned to look at the unicorn with a challenge in her eyes. She would remember it, oh how she would. One day, when she wore no skirts or finery, she would remember this challenge and show this woman just how she had clawed, fought and won her way to the place she stood now. She did not need Solis or his blessing to get her success, she had done it all on her own. Could her company say the same?

'All pretty things eventually lose their sweetness,' and again, Vendetta found she agreed. She, perhaps, had been sweet once. As a child, a girl who knew and understood nothing of the real world, who had nothing but idyllic hopes and dreams. How quickly she had lost it, how swiftly it had been stripped from her, stolen away along with her innocence. Vendetta would never return to those days. Sweetness had long left her and she was better off for it.

“I believe I just saw one of your informants pass through the crowd,” came Azrail’s voice in her head. Vendetta’s keen ruby eyes drifted toward him, where he lingered in the shadows a few feet away. “It seems our little tete-a-tete is at an end, I have some business I must attend to,” she said, giving her attention one last time to the woman at her side. “It’s been a pleasure, I'm sure” and then the unicorn is all but gone, moving through a crowd that, though it tried, could not quite swallow her up. She met Azrail by the door, and together the pair left the black and white room, and the skull masked woman inside it, behind.
@Avdotya Ven out <3

Avdotya

She could feel Vendetta meeting her quiet threat with those bright ruby eyes. The way the tension swelled, it was damn near palpable and it made the viper’s skin tingle with hungry anticipation; but Denocte’s genial festival was no place for stirring Solterran dust. It seemed, at the very least, that both women understood that well enough - although Avdotya was firmly of the belief that it would have sparked some level of excitement that did not involve poorly executed dances.

Nevertheless, her fire soon grew dim until it was nothing more than a subtle glow and she returned to silently watching what went on ahead of them. Vendetta had done the same, if only briefly, then announced her departure. Business. She wondered what business a black market queen had at a summer ball; secrets, valuable treasures, perhaps even lives to profit off of. Surely much more fulfilling than entertaining Avdotya for the evening.

And as she offered her sweet goodbye, the Davke mare replied with her finest curtsy, overdone and dripping with the venom that had been coursing through their interaction just moments ago. ”Adieu, my dear.” The feigned pleasantness in her voice tasted like dirt upon her tongue, so bitter that it forced a sharp scowl to her lips.

Then, she too vanished into the many faces of the Masquerade. Now it was time to attend to her own business.

@vendetta
<3 finally closin this up

image © aapex