Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - FIST FIRST PHILOSOPHY

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline REDANDBLACK [PM] Posts: 302 — Threads: 37
Signos: 135
Inactive Character

The sun is high and Bexley is content, for once, to step away from it. Her time in the Day Court is a haze of hot weather and sand, the smell of salt, and breezes that do nothing to cool her off; thus her stumble into the oasis is a welcome relief, made even better by the fact that it’s completely empty. Bex is getting worn thin by the personalities of her fellow court members, and there’s a distinct rush of satisfaction in realizing this is a moment she won’t have to share with any of them. 

The chain around her neck is a hot white in the sunlight and bounces as she traverses the rocks. Each bleached hoof picking its place delicately, her slender body moving with a calculated grace. The slope to reach the pool is steep enough that Bexley’s curls are flattened against her body, and she has to think before she steps, right, left, crack, taking a kind of pride in how careful she is. For once she is slow and cautious, not ripping right into the problem at hand. Whole moments stretching between the instinct and the action. She breathes the heat-stained air deep, feels it coursing through her body as well as over her sweat-freckled skin. Summer is only going to be worse. 

At last she reaches the pool. Around her the ground flattens into baked earth, spattered in some places by the green of stubbornly insistent plants, but softer and browner than anything else she’s seen here. Bexley shakes out her huge white curls and leans to take a deep draught of the cold water, finally feeling an inkling of home in the area that surrounds her.

@Eden excuse this garbage lol
love, space

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Eden

Eden

Edenicon"

pretty

Dusted with star matter and borne upon tides of nature, hers is the beauty of wild places.

It mattered not to the ebon striped lass whether she would be accepted by her peers in the court of Day. Nay, it only mattered that she be accepted by her commandant and allowed to battle with those that were worthy of such contact. Even now, as her sure steps guided her up the side of a mountain and toward an oasis that she had read of in The Temple's accounts of Delumine's borders, the mare practically hummed with unspent energy. What it pity it would be to have stumbled upon a court of supposed warriors, but to find the greatest of them had vacated the realm. She huffed, hot breath pressing against flared nostrils and twining invisibly into the cloudless sky. Sweat mottled her golden coat beneath her heavy mane of locs and along her belly, the sand that she had kicked up along her trek dusting her underside and making the skin itch with discomfort. 

As she crested the rise, Eden's amber gaze watched as the cracked desert floor tapered off to a lush green landscape, dotted with palms, pools and ferns. Brows raised inquisitively as the lass wondered if she would ever deign to leave the paradise that she had stepped into. Then, as she moved closer to the rippling azure pool that practically called for her to take a drink, she noticed the palomino mare along the shore. Her skin was golden, like Edens, and they were of similar height, though that is where the similarities between the pair ended. Where Eden was thick and muscled, the girl was lithe and thin; where the paladin was swarthy, the lass was pale; and where Spring's Daughter was a field of wildflowers, the pretty lass before her seemed to be more akin to a rosebush - pretty and laden with thorns. Eden could not discern from just sight this last bit, but she had a distinct feeling that there was more to the sun kissed mare than she had let show. 

The warrior nodded more to herself than to the stranger as she silently agreed upon one thing - the cream and gold girl was clever. She would do well for Solis. 

Nearing and slowing to a stop alongside the lass, Eden offered no greeting before lowering her lips to the deliciously cool waters and drinking her fill. Seconds later, as she rose with water dripping from her chin, she turned her eyes upon the unnamed comrade, honeyed voice breaking the tentative silence, "You are of the Day Court - is this a choice of adulthood or were you born beneath Solis' gaze?" A swing of that heavy tail and a cocking of a back hoof, "I am Eden."

pretty

@Bexley pls accept my bb

Inactive Character

[Image: 500_by_memuii-dbfxt60.png]

" BEXLEY BRIAR "

Eyes half-closed with contentment, Bexley notices the presence of someone else but doesn’t bother to react; whoever it is smells like Day Court, which means a) they pose no harm, and b) she won’t have the energy to deal with them. A slough of aggravation bubbles, warm, in her chest. What does it takes to get some alone time around here - ? Still she keeps her eyes closed, her body still, unflinching as the scent becomes stronger, as the hoof steps come closer, the intruder’s presence stronger. Only when the body comes to a stop at her side does Bexley crack open an eye to watch.

Whoever it is, Bexley doesn’t recognize her. She’d know if they met before because the girl is absolutely beautiful. Dark locs and tiger stripes, skin like a sunset, flashes of gold binding her tail together, resting above her hooves, in a half circle connecting those velvet nostrils. Bex’s heart glows; her impression of the stranger immediately rockets to positivity. She’s a lover of shiny things - of beautiful people - and this stranger is everything Bexley wants in a woman, a friend, a sweetheart, an enemy, it doesn’t matter, just someone to be around. A Day Court member she can actually stand. Her hips wriggle slightly with suppressed excitement.

You are of the Day Court - is this a choice of adulthood or were you born beneath Solis' gaze? Bexley is surprised by how stiff she sounds, the unfamiliar accent that clips her voice. Still she meets the stranger’s gaze evenly, dark blue eyes and orange, keen in their new tryst. New as can be, Bex answers slowly, with a tilt of her eyebrow. She rakes a curious look over Eden’s body, presses her lips together for a moment, then continues, And you? I haven’t seen you before. I’m Bexley, she remembers to add after a moment. Bexley Briar. Nice to meet you.

@Eden <33
love, space

Eden

Eden

Edenicon"

pretty

Dusted with star matter and borne upon tides of nature, hers is the beauty of wild places.

Warrior's gaze did not miss the small shimmy that passed over her new companion's hips, causing her brow to quirk up ever so slightly; was this a tic or an expression of emotion? Tilting her head to the side in a mirror to the golden mare, Eden's gilded ears perked forward to catch her seemingly deliberately slow speech. Nostrils flared slightly at the possibility of an implied insult to her intelligence, and for once she wished for more of her mother's gentle nature, her flowing words and ease with speech. But there was no speech in battle, no pretty words in a war, and thus it was near useless to the battle born lass. 

At least that's what she told herself. In truth, when she read, when she viewed text in almost any way, the letters and words danced before her eyes, switching in and out of understanding and shifting along the pages or tablets without the mare's notice. It was her one insecurity, one she took great pains to hide. Indeed, Eden would laugh at the thought of tomes and pages of cramped text instead of admit that they presented a challenge that she worried she would be unable to overcome. Yet, the mare at her side continued to speak and she did not seem unkind. On the contrary, those depthless blue eyes held Eden's own amber gaze unflinchingly and without the glint of an aggressor - she immediately warmed to the girl, despite her almost-offence. 

The paladin shuffled almost imperceptibly closer to Bexley Briar as she waited for her turn to speak. 

With a curt nod and a small smile, the warrior gave her reply, emboldened by Bexley's lack of rejection, "Then a welcome is in order," Her smile grew by a few degrees and those gilded eyes brightened beneath the relentless sun, "I don't come from this continent," Eden made an effort to relax her speech, to attempt something a little less formal, "I'm born of priestesses, their temple is far from here. The stars told my mother and the council to train me as a paladin, to have me sojourn far in order to defend and protect the Holy Light." A shrug rolled over her muscled shoulders, causing the striped flesh that coated her frame to ripple, "I'm good at fighting and I never liked to worship in the temples, so I guess the stars were right." 

Yes, this was how friends were made, by chatting about the past and then making a future - right? Eden crinkled her nose for a moment, realizing that she had no real experience in the social aspects of a life amongst others, she only knew how to beat them into a bloody pulp, and she didn't imagine that was how she was going to make Miss Bexley Briar her friend. 

"I'll be true, Miss Bexley Briar, the finer aspects of social interactions escape me. The convent didn't focus much on... Chatting," The last word twisted up toward the end, making it an odd mix between question and statement - what an unclear way to communicate - so she tried again, "You seem to be good at it, though."

Yes, there. A solid observation that could be interpreted as a healthy compliment. Practice made perfect. 

pretty

@Bexley i love this already. 
Also, Eden. Please learn to not be so odd. 

Inactive Character

" BEXLEY BRIAR "

Bexley is attentive, notices almost instantly the change in Eden’s demeanor as their eyes meet, and the girl shuffles closer, but she doesn’t bother pointing it out - Eden must know, or if she doesn’t, then that’s a point of information in itself. She’s not at all surprised that the girl is intrigued. Bex’s air of self-confidence tends to make her quite good-looking to people, especially strangers, especially people with issues, and that covers almost everyone. A lazy smile drifts over her lips as she watches the warm orange of Eden’s eyes flash and churn. Day Court girls, one and the same. 

I'm born of priestesses, their temple is far from here. The stars told my mother and the council… With each word Bexley’s expression of stoicism drains slightly, replaced by a slip upward of her eyebrows, a curious look, a gleam of interest in the indigo eyes, those reddish lashes fluttering to narrow. Weird girl, intriguing - cult kid, Bexley files her into that box for later use, the mechanical sharpness of her brain already categorizing on instinct. Flower child. Warrior, Eden has just self-admitted, and Bex has seen that already, in the ropey stack of her muscles, the solidity of her legs, the fire in her eyes that’s only slightly different from Bexley’s own. 

Eden talks and talks. Bexley organizes, clumsy. She adds, unsocialized. Finally: well-meaning. And that’s all that matters, isn’t it, that both of them mean well? Bexley’s categorizations are well-meant, perhaps harsh, but not really mean, and she knows Eden must be harmless, at least in a social context - wouldn’t want to meet her on a battlefield, but here Bexley is in her element and has nothing to lose by making a new friend. She’s already ticking off the possible gains in her head. Protection. Camaraderie. Backup. Well-meaning is what counts at this moment, and this moment is what counts.

Bexley looks Eden up and down for a moment, then says casually, You’re cute. It’s sincere. Personality and otherwise. Thanks, by the way. Social butterfly is one of my many talents. She grins, genuine this time, so that those deep blue eyes crinkle at their edges with the weight of it. You’ll learn. Here - ask a question. Like… She glances carefully at Eden, then nods and offers, Like, what’s your favorite flower? Mine’s lavender. Their homeland is bare at best and doesn’t offer much to look at, but lavender is the one thing that Bexley continues to notice as she roams, stubborn and beautiful in the face of adversity.

@Eden CUTE DORKS WOW
love, space

Eden

Eden

Edenicon"

pretty

You're cute. Personality and otherwise.

Eden's jaw drops and her expression goes blank, surprise etched into every sunset gilded feature that the lass had to offer. It wasn't as if the warrior had never been the recipient of compliments before, no, she had been given many based upon her performance or physical ability - but none of them had focused upon her physical ability to be attractive - aesthetically or elsewhere. Blinking those long lashed eyes frantically and attempting to gather herself, golden hooves shuffling in place in the fine ivory sand as the lass worked to remember how to control her facial muscles. At last, her mouth closed and her brow straightened back to it's usual neutral state, but her mind remained abuzz with so many thoughts that she found that she could not focus on just one. 

It was rather disconcerting, yet, burnished gaze assessing Bexley's facade and body language, Eden felt no discomfort. Indeed, Bexley Briar had no lude intent, no hint of mockery or envy - she was just saying something kind about Eden, to Eden... And it felt nice. A bashful smile spread across the paladin's face, exposing a pair of dimples that usually remained hidden by their owner's generally stoic nature. Yes, it felt nice. 

What felt better, though, was the glowy warmth that blossomed within her chest as she watched the sun kissed girl at her side offer a genuine grin, the movement causing those shimmering pools of aquamerine that served as Bexley's eyes to sparkle and shift like the ocean. Eden resisted the urge to bump the lithe maiden with her shoulder - the customary, if not gruff, gesture of friendship between warriors at The Temple - and instead opted for what she hoped was a prim nod and tasteful expelling of breath. It felt odd, to opt for the more dainty or feminine aspects of communication when the ebon striped mare had been raised with sweat caking her skin and blood in her teeth. 

But when in Rome...

Cocking her head as Bexley continued to speak, Eden listened with a rapt attentiveness that all but displayed to the world her social ineptitude. Yet, at the mention of flowers, Eden became animated, eyes brightening and posture straightening with excitement as she spoke, words a little rushed in their hurry to be expressed, "Oh, flowers are wonderful. Plants are wonderful," she spoke with an earnestness that belied her childlike joy at the mention of flora, "Lavender is absolutely a favorite - it has wonderful soothing properties - but I admit that I appreciate the plumeria the most. It's poisonous, unfortunately, but it's just so pretty... They grew in the gardens of The Temple for the potions mistresses to use." 

A happy sigh coursed through the lass' lungs, and she turned her attention to the crystalline waters before them, an ear still cocked toward her comrade, "What do you like to do, Bexley Briar? Do you have hobbies?" A beat of silence as her brow furrowed ever so slightly, "That's an acceptable question for chatting, right?"

pretty

@Bexley AH LOOK AT THESE DWEEBS

Inactive Character

" BEXLEY BRIAR "

The surprise on Eden’s face is so obvious Bexley almost wants to laugh, but she holds it in as a smile, knowing it’s best that she let Eden have the victory in its completeness. The girl’s enthusiasm is infectious, and Bex finds her spirits lifted as their conversation continues. The shuffling of hooves, those fluttering eyelashes, the nervous energy of someone unused to being complimented. It’s all so juvenile - so endearing. What a long time it’s been since Bexley relaxed enough to have a conversation like this. Sincere and simultaneously positive? The whole thing is so unlike her and yet, so far, rewarding.

It’s almost uncomfortable how deeply Bexley finds herself elated, but she forces herself to enjoy it instead of being suspicious; Eden may well be the only Day Court member she can stand, and that’s something to be celebrated, at least. Her lingering glance over the tiger-girl is saturated with something like affection. At the mention of flowers she can see Eden’s eyes light up, and her grin stretches wider, in genuine enjoyment at the fact that they’re both so happy, and at something so simple - flowers and sunshine and good company. For all Eden’s self-proclaimed social ineptitude, Bexley isn’t finding this awkward at all.

Plumeria, she repeats with a gentle raise of the eyebrows. White and yellow? I think I’ve only seen them a few times. Her brain conjures the image of something soft-edged and gently colorful, completely feminine, only partially what Bexley would expect of her companion. At her next question, Bex suppresses a smirk, eyes glowing with humor. Yeah, it is. Honestly, I - For the first time she stumbles. It’s slight - just the barest trip over an unplanned answer - but it’s there, horrifically enough, and Bexley’s mouth fails her for one long second, jaw grinding. Haven’t had time to do anything but adjust since I came here. It’s been crazy. I used to like exploring, and making friends, and finding treasure. Those blue eyes glaze over slightly. You?

love, space

Eden

Eden

pretty

From the corner of her eye, Eden noticed her companion's lingering glance. It was one that reminded the shieldmaiden of her matrons and mistresses at the temple - not quite motherly, but caring all the same. The curvature of her small smile grew as she gazed out at the shimmering waters, the smooth surface reflecting gold to compliment the pair standing upon the shore. It was a warm moment, one that held no large purpose, but cradled a world of significance for the striped warrior. It wasn't that Eden had never had friends, that sort of description begged for pity and the lass was loath to be the object of anything but pride. No, the paladin had known many sisters in arms and had held them in high esteem - yet, she had never  known an equine that was not tied to her by battle or contract. Allowing her gaze to slide back to the golden maiden at her side, Eden felt a stirring of adoration within her muscled chest alongside the well of loyalty that had burst into life the moment Bexley Briar had accepted Eden's clumsy attempts at socialization.

The Aurelian mare at her side was intelligent and witty and kind, and if that did not deserve Eden's loyalty and friendship, then there was nothing good that did. Nodding in answer to the possibly rhetorical question that Bexley posed concerning plumerias, Eden noted the pretty glow that had settled about the mare's eyes; the way that her entire being seemed to be communicated through that depthless gaze. One day, the warrior mare would learn the ins and outs of those eyes, she wouldn't even have to ask her friend how she was feeling - all she would need is to look at Bexley's honest eyes and understand. With another nod, though this time, more to herself than to the Day Courtier at her side, the paladin tucked her decision away and into her heart, a small vow that she intended to keep.

Then, as the sun kissed lass at her side trips over her words, Eden felt the muscles about her spine tense, a not-unfamiliar sense of protectiveness settling about her shoulders - it did not seem usual for a mare such as Bexley to lose her verbal footing, what sort of truth could cause the femme to stumble? It didn't take much for Eden to assume the worst - enslavement and abuse - but the words that followed her companion's pause were a cool drink of water and a brush of relief. Exploring and friends and treasure. Eden's grin could only grow until her teeth gleamed white in the sun and her eyes crinkled at the edges; it was a wonderful thought, to imagine the dainty woman tromping through forests and mountain ridges with a rag tag band of adventurers at her back, those wondrous eyes alight with their quest for glory and gold.

Despite the positive cast to her admission, Eden still tilted her weight to the left, gently brushing her shoulder against Bexley's own in a show of solidarity and support. The maiden didn't have to tell the paladin why her words had failed, she didn't have to do anything she didn't want to, but Eden wanted Miss Bexley Briar to know that regardless, she wasn't there to judge. Yet, as the time for reply came to her, the warrior simply shrugged, "I never knew there were things other than my chosen path, so there is much that I haven't tried, but I like to read and to learn," her grin turned wry, "I could bore you and even Solis to near death with an extensive history of High Priestesses who had direct and indirect contact with the Universe's Faces." It struck Eden that not everyone may be privy to Temple jargon, even clever Bexley. So why not explain?

"We recognize all gods as true and righteous, all of them different faces of the universe as long as they do no harm - in which case, the High Council deliberates and researches. Often, they send out scouts to help them understand whichever deity has been brought to their attention. In most cases, it's discovered that the deity is no true Facet and is merely a mortal concept created for greed and self-serving purposes, but in the rare occurrence that the deity is found to be true, they are dubbed a Chaos God and given a place in our Hall of Faces." Eden hadn't realized that her voice had lowered as the spoke, her tone growing more and more excitedly conspirational as she continued. With a sheepish chuckle, she resumed a normal speaking volume and continued on, "Even then, some Chaos Gods grow corrupt and require intervention. My favorite stories are of Maghdelene the Weary - she was a godslayer who had brought many cruel deities to justice." The paladin stopped herself before she could begin to ramble too much about her beloved hero figure and returned her attention to the present, "I like to fight, and I like to eat. There's not much to me, I fear."

pretty

@Bexley HELLO SORRY FOR THE WAIT I have missed bex

Inactive Character

" BEXLEY BRIAR "

It’s so strange to feel the brush of Eden’s skin against her own, the gentle press of muscle to muscle, and the warmth that passes back and forth in the space that has closed between them; how long has it been since Bexley was close to someone in this way, so intimate so quickly? It’a horrific how thoroughly comforted she feels. She hesitates for a moment, caught deep in the corners of her own brain. Light shines down on them with tireless, vicious intensity, and, sweat gathering in the roots of her silver hair, a hot rush of blood moving to her cheeks, thoughts dopey and strung-out in the haze of the late spring, she returns the touch by leaning slightly to the right, weigh redistributing to lie against the strength of Eden’s body, stifling the urge to slump completely with the relief that courses under her bones, so strong it could take her all the way into the center of the earth.

When Eden begins to speak again, Bexley shifts her weight onto her own blonde hooves, standing straight with a shake of her head. Her eyes snap sideways to meet the warrior’s. What comes out of Eden’s mouth is almost entirely gibberish to her, but Bexley watches with genuine interest, trying to follow the string of the story, eyes wide, face carved with attention rapt with one ear flickering to catch every word. Her eyes glimmer with only half-concealed confusion. You might have lost me, she laughs when Eden finally trails off. A sheepish smile tugs at one side of her lips, carving a shallow dimple into her cheek. I’ve never heard of most of that - I barely knew about Solis before I came here.

We had our own gods, Bexley continues, voice going warm, eyes glazing over, as if she is a girl possessed by the words she has started to speak, where I grew up. Well, one god, and She was my grandmother. How weird is that? Her smile widens lazily. Una - who was mortal, but when She found my family’s homeland, she became a goddess - and had a beautiful necklace She could keep Her magic in. I only saw Her a few times. Mostly She was the trees or the river or the storms that passed over us. When She was in her true form She mostly slept, for months at a time, but She always tried to visit me. The legend I’ve always heard is that She was born on the wrong side of the world, and it took Her years to find Greer-Briar, and when She did She became, you know - one with the earth. We don’t have any scouts, or any council to make decisions, because She was our only god, and still is. She shrugs. It all sounds so juvenile, so stupid, this relic from her past that Bexley has carried since birth, but there’s something therapeutic about telling it to someone else. It might have been worth finding some. I love Her, but she was vicious, and too quiet, and She didn’t care about anything that hadn’t been part of Her - anything that wasn’t her family or Greer-Briar. It sounds like you had a good system.

@Eden YAY I LOVE MY GALS
love, space

Eden

Eden

pretty

The laugh that rang from the golden girl's lips was like a cool drink of water to a parched man and it brought a brighter smile to the warrior's lips. She was sure that with Bexley being so well versed in conversation and the social graces that she had had to use a less than genuine laugh more than once; but the one that burn forth over the oasis waters in response to the silver haired lass' own perceived shortcomings was full bodied and full of mirth. What a relief it was to see that she was worth this honest expression of joy from her newfound friend, what a blessing that the golden maiden deemed her trustworthy. 

Eden attempted to resist the urge to sigh contentedly, but eventually lost the battle, the exhale ending on a happy hum and the fluttering of her ebony lashes against rosen cheeks. It had been a long time since the paladin had been thankful enough and glad enough to lose a battle of wills with her own body. Yet she wasn't disappointed or upset; any other company, any less well meaning or well cared for company slipping beneath her skin with such ease would have been a threat, but not Bexley Briar. Not her friend.

Tilting her ears toward her companion as she spoke, Eden allowed herself to relax into the melody of Bexley's voice, the undulating tones and halts of her words and the story that she wove out of thin air. The palomino's words conjured up images of tribes and gods, of greenery and family, of strife and successes side by side; a tapestry telling the tale of Bexley Briar's beginnings and of what may have very well been her childhood's end. Eden is suddenly filled with the urge to press her shoulder to Bexley's again and keep it there, an offer to bear some of the weight that the maiden no doubt shouldered. Distantly, Cerridwen's voice echoed within Eden's mind - A burden shared is a burden eased and a bond discovered.

"A good system doesn't mean anything from this far away," pointed out the striped shieldmaiden, though her voice was as kind and familiar as it had been since the pair met, "It sounds like you gained a lot of experience from a young age, that you made a lot of opportunities where otherwise there may have been none. You are a tenacious girl, Miss Bexley Briar." Eden paused to consider this statement before nodding and continuing on, "Yes, you're much like a warrior, but with your words, not your muscles - and I think that takes a lot more skill than throwing one's body around and trying to make the biggest bruise. Your Una would be very, very proud of you... Well, if she's worth her snuff, she better be proud."

Turning her skull and peering up at the white hot eye of Solis, Eden gave a shake of her flower laden head and blinked Solis' echoes from her vision before stepping forward into the cool azure of the pool. Moving forward until the refreshing waters lapped just above her withers and dragged at her dreads, the paladin turned toward Bexley and grinned, "Care for a dip? Trust me, it feels wonderful."

pretty

@Bexley  cries tears of joy

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »