Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - one day I'll know how far I'll go

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Finnian

F I N N I A N
IT'S ALL UPHILL FROM HERE

Several days after his near fatal brush with the ocean and the subsequent rescue by the locals, Finnian had finally been allowed to move about freely again. 'No foolishness, and don't leave the citadel for a few days' were the orders the mender had left him with, and truth be told the young stallion was not in a hurry to disobey. His head still hurt, a white-hot stab of pain that crackled through the inside of his skull whenever he turned his head too quickly, and beneath the golden hide his skin was still black and blue from the close encounter with the cliffs.

But long convalescence was not something he was used to and it grated on his nerves to stare up at the same ceiling day after day. He had nagged the caretakers until they finally relented, like as not to escape his whining rather than because he was really fit to move about. Finnian didn't care; with boyish delight he ignored the complaints of his body and set out to explore the keep, this grand stone citadel that stood at the center of what he had come to understand to be the main gathering place of the people who lived here.

Wherever 'here' was. There had been no time to ask questions yet. Speaking was still as painful as anything else, the conversations of the past few days limited to 'yes' and 'no' with a voice torn half asunder from salt water and whatever screaming he must have been doing during his time at sea. Finnian recalled little of it. Only the sensation of being tossed about for hours, the helplessness in the face of the merciless power and ferocity of the elements. The sensation of water rushing in through his mouth and nose, and the choking, panicked realization that he was drowning...

It was a relief then to find himself alive, even if it was in a strange place filled with unfamiliar people. That part didn't bother him nearly as much as the memories, because it had been his intention from the start to get away, to start over somewhere new. Aside from nearly drowning, he thought it had worked out fairly well!

As he roamed the hallways and peered into empty rooms, the raven-haired youth eventually found his way out onto a terrace. He blinked and looked out over the banister, awed at the warmth of the sun that shone down upon the capitol below. The stones seemed almost to glow in the brilliant light, and for as far as he could see there was only green and blue, vast grasslands that stretched on endlessly beneath a cloudless sky, interrupted only by the looming cliffs and the sea beyond. Breathlessly Finnian looked, twisting and reaching dangerously far out into the void to try and see more; greedily he absorbed the beauty of the land and felt a hunger wake within him, a deep desire to see it all up close, to explore it and find out all there was to know about them. His impatience at being stuck behind stone walls increased a thousandfold, and as he settled back and rested his chin upon the balustrade he couldn't help but heave a deep sigh.

It was so hard to fathom that the wide horizon was the only home he had now. To never go back... he could never truly have comprehended what that meant until he was not there anymore, and now that he understood, Finnian almost regretted his decisions.

Almost.

@Israfel and anyone who wants to meet him! :D
space

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 137 — Threads: 30
Signos: 1,020
Night Court Sovereign
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 496 Summer]  |  16.1 hh  |  Hth: 32 — Atk: 28 — Exp: 85  |    Active Magic: Pyromancy  |    Bonded: Solaris (Phoenix)

Israfel

It was alarmingly easy to get lost or turned around in the twisting halls of the citadel, but it was proving to serve as the best form of distraction for the Daughter of the Sun. Israfel found her heart heavy, aching terribly from the loss and confusion that seemed to naturally come with rebirth.

Wait. No, that wasn't right. There was nothing natural or normal about rebirth, about coming back from the dead, and the gilded maiden was struggling to accept and come to terms with that. So many questions that lacked informative answers, and she hated it, but instead of wallowing in self-pity or drowning in melancholy as she would have once done in her life from before, Israfel had begun to act. When darkness crippled her, making golden hued limbs heavy and her pale breast ache with ennui and despair, she roamed. She flew. She ran, anything to get blood pumping furiously within an alpine, lean body to prove, to remind that she was still breathing. That she was still alive, the echoes of her own blood rushing through dainty ears and the furious beat of her heart against the cage of her chest.

Death had not won. The Reaper was no victor. She, brazen, blazing, proud, remained standing, a roaring flame amidst a storm... And Israfel was stubborn, determined, undaunted. She would not waste her second chance at redemption. She would rise, and dare the world to try and stop her.

Those thoughts, a myriad repetition, a litany of swears and promises, were her only companion as she traversed the halls of the Dusk citadel. She roamed the halls, a ghost of milk and honey, ducking in rooms and glancing about with fierce vermilion eyes, before moving on, wandering, learning. If this was to be her home, she yearned to serve it to the best of her abilities, and it was best to begin in small steps. Learn the layout of the land, and go from there. Already was she intimate with the rocky scrags of the cliff side where Morozko had greeted her, but there was still so much more.

Finding her way onto a terrace, the wind a soothing caress against the Sun Daughter's feminine features, Israfel was quick to realize that she was not alone. For a moment she considered moving on, fiery vermilion eyes locked on the golden buckskin young man leaning against the stone balustrade and seeming lost within the magnificent view provided to them, and slowly her gaze trailed outwards, following his own and admiring the vast fields and the looming ocean in the distance.

"... Quite the view, isn't it?" Israfel asked at last, golden, cloven hooves guiding her close to the balustrade, feathers rippling along her sides, chin held high and proud. Not haughty. Not superior. Simply proud. Fiery orange eyes glanced sidelong at the stranger, watching him, curious, before focusing once more on the horizon. "Positively breathtaking."

x - x

@Finnian <3

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Finnian

F I N N I A N
IT'S ALL UPHILL FROM HERE

The voice pulled him from his reveries with a suddenness that made his flinch. Jerking the head up and around to see who it was that addressed him, Finnian found himself face to face with an angel.

It was cheesy, but he really had no better word to describe her. The young girl seemed spun out of clouds and sunlight,
a masterpiece wrought by some god (he didn't know how close he came to the truth) or by the universe itself, brought to earth by some fickle play of fates or perhaps as a gift, to teach mortals how to better their ways. He sure knew he was searching his conscience already, scouring his motives for something that was not merely awe and delight, something that was perhaps a shade less honorable, a little more morally questionable.

Being a young man, he found plenty, and it worried him more than he wanted to let on.

There was a slightly awkward silence where the golden youth merely gawked at the girl, eyes wide with startled delight and mouth half open (rather unintelligent, that look, but what can you do). But then he shook himself and nodded, agreeing with an open smile;

"Yes indeed, very beautiful."  Those glittering eyes, lingering upon her gilded frame, made it hard to tell whether he was still talking about the scenery. "Why don't ye join me, lady? It is a fine day, and I would appreciate someone to talk to."

He made room for her by the balustrade with a graceful sidestep and inclined the dark horn in a polite invitation. Hopefully his ministrations would be perceived as gentlemanly and elegant, as he intended and had been taught to appear, but frankly Finnian felt more awkward than genteel. Keenly aware of his unkempt mane and the coarseness of his still healing vocal cords, he feared she would merely laugh and leave. That would be... less than fortunate, because then he would have to search the whole citadel for someone who knew her name.

"I am Finnian, a newcomer to these lands and this Court. Might I be so bold as to ask whom ye might be?"

Yes, better indeed to ask first than stand around and wait for the honor. Did he sound as stiff and overly formal as he thought he did? Initium knew it had been a long time since he spoke to any girl, and he was sure he'd never met anyone quite as pretty as this. No doubt he would make a fool of himself, sooner or later.

@
space

@Israfel

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 137 — Threads: 30
Signos: 1,020
Night Court Sovereign
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 496 Summer]  |  16.1 hh  |  Hth: 32 — Atk: 28 — Exp: 85  |    Active Magic: Pyromancy  |    Bonded: Solaris (Phoenix)

Israfel

It was quite obvious that her arrival took the golden youth by surprise. He jerked at her words, a boyish head snapping upwards off of the stone balustrade and back at her with such speed that Israfel was surprised she didn't hear a crack in his neck. She smiled coyly with upturned pale-pink lips, vermilion eyes sliding sideways to regard him beneath pale lashes, and his gobsmacked expression caused her to chuckle with warm amusement.

He was a handsome fellow, all sleek, rich gold and a bountiful amount of raven locks that tumbled over an undoubtedly young, but masculine face. There was a captivating nobility about him, or some sort of stature with how he held himself, even if his mouth was partly agape as though he could hardly believe what was before his very eyes. And, oh, what captivating eyes did he have. A deep, rich, vibrant blue that reminded Israfel of the clear skies that she loved to soar through. It would be oddly easy to get just as lost in his eyes as it would to get lost upon the winds.

The silence stretched, and Israfel stood upon the stone terrace undaunted in its discomfort, dainty ears perked forward as though waiting for the buckskin princeling to rally himself. Rally himself he did, with a mighty shake and a jovial smile, and his words caught her interest. Those glittering blue eyes, so rich and deep, and Israfel was powerless but to stop the growing smile from her lips. The princeling's voice held an accented lilt that she simply couldn't place, for it was unlike any she had heard during her brief time in Novus or her life within Helovia, but his voice was kindred and pleasant to her ears all the same.

"Then I suppose I'll stay," she began, her voice melodic and friendly, letting her fiery gaze wander once more unto the horizon and hoping that her words would not give away her inner anxieties and fears, her doubts and uncertainties, wanting desperately to appear strong, capable, and steadfast, "If you are sure you want my company. You looked so lost in thought, I was scared you might not have wanted to be bothered."

The buckskin youth shifted in his spot, kindly making room for her at his side upon the balustrade, and Israfel moved to draw closer to him, offering him a smile at his thoughtfulness by way of thanks. She was oddly self-conscience of the space that she occupied, the broad form of folded gilded wings taking up more space than she would like in such a moment, silken feathers brushing against the princeling's golden sides whenever she would shift a step. Hopefully he wouldn't mind.

Once more her gaze drifted, tearing away from the rolling green fields and the crashing ocean in the distance, to regard the young man in her company. He introduced himself, Finnian, a newcomer to the Dusk Court, and the Sun Daughter took a moment to mull it over, tasting his name on her tongue, before nodding, vermilion eyes dancing in the radiant rays of the evening sun.

"Finnian. A pleasure to meet you. I'm Israfel, but... You may call me Isra, if you'd like." She smiled, unabashed and pretty, letting herself soak up the warm evening sun and breathe in the fresh air, relishing the taste of the wind. How satisfying it was, to be standing here next to Finnian, a stranger, simply because it meant she was breathing. "I'm also new to the area. Just arrived, actually. I'm glad to meet a friendly face so early on in my arrival. It'll be easier to settle, knowing that I'm not the only one."

Then, because curiosity was a powerful thing, Israfel went on. "... May I ask where you are from? What brought you to this land, and... To this particular terrace?" She smiled and laughed, a breathy sound, and rather brazenly, in a move that might make her nervous after their evening was said and done, reached out and brushed Finnian's golden shoulder with her muzzle. A brief, simple contact, but a contact nonetheless.

Well done, Isra. Don't scare him off, now.

x - x

@Finnian <3 - Sorry for the wait, love!