Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Worship  - Oriens? Any

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Coraline

She had awoken early, the sky still dark, but slowly turning gray, then purple, pink, and finally…blue. She watched the sunrise through her button eyes, awe evident in her face. She had seen it many times, but it still never ceased to be awed by it. It was then that the filly decided she needed to seek out the god that Aislinn said belonged to the dawn. Oriens. If she remembered correctly, that is. The filly rose from the chilled earth and stretched her muscles, shaking off the dirt, and sending her mane and tail into a mad disarray. She looked around and decided here was as good a place as any to see if she could call forth one of the gods she wished desperately to speak with.

”Oriens…if you are the god of the dawn…I wish to speak with you.”

She wasn’t sure if he would appear and speak with her, or if she was just supposed to talk and hope he heard her. In her last home, the gods were real, tangible creatures. Like Maaemo who had given her Pandora, and Fantome, who had burned her home to the ground. She wondered what this place was like – if the gods were real, or if they were imaginary things that someone thought up to keep the herds in line.

She explored the citadel that she had found Aislinn in the night before. It had large pillars, and was beautiful to her, even if her sight was blurry due to the buttons. She moved to the edge and looked over, watching the landscape change colors as the sunlight reached its fingers out to touch everything it could. Yes. This world was by far the most beautiful she had ever been in. She only wished that Mew could be here to see it, too.

ooc: sorry...my laptop took a dive and I have no HTML right now. Will work on it. :/

Only

It had been a long time coming since Only reconnected with his friends here in Novus - as time drew on he had learned that many of those who had been trapped in the Rift managed to come out on the other side.  Most of them had gone long before he did and the man had been left alone in the darkness - too long - long enough to feel a different kind of sickness settle deep inside his bones.  It had poisoned his mind in ways he wasn't sure of just yet - but the Gods here knew.  Perhaps they could help - but even if they could, it wasn't like Only had been praying for it.

Perhaps he should have been all along.  There were things scribed in the pages of Fate that could make angels despair the Good Word.  That said, he felt like the outlying areas were his only option for living on or near Delumine without interfering with those who sought to keep their libraries quiet and peaceful, their civilians as docile as possible.  He was just some young punk making too much noise, at some point however, he wondered if he too could ever find his own sort of peace.  Maybe finding this Oriens fellow might be a decent start if he was to carve any kind of path in Novus.  Lord knows he certainly wasn't going to leave anytime soon regardless of whether he was a criminal or not.

Veneror had been an all night task, he began his ascension at dusk and struggled in the dark so as not to be seen.  Only had grown accustomed to making all of his movement at night and being out of sight during the day.  How could he get caught if he flew under the radar all the time?  Would Veneror be any different than places like Solterra? Would this so-called God grow a pair of feet and kick him off the top of the peak? There was only one way to find out.

Dawn brought him to the flat points where he stood to rest - the light gathering on the edges of the peak filled the dark with a rosy pink glow, with it, the realization that he was not alone.  Looking more closely, he realized at once that he was not unfamiliar with her - her button eyes gave it away.

"Well if it isn't divine intervention."  Only said smoothly as he came up behind her.  The stallion looked worse for wear, scarred, underfed, and the cuts on his face were recent enough to still be pink and sore with healing.  Coraline, the girl who knew his most dangerous secrets, was here of all places and he had yet to catch up with her since his arrival. "I miss Pandora."  He added after having looked around her feet to try and spot the vulpine trouble maker, his eyes lifted to meet her face with a genuine grin.  

"You live in Delumine, too."  It was not as excited sounding as it could have been - should have been.  Especially here on the peak where one would often come to celebrate their union with whatever God that delegated them through this thing called Life.

"I may not be around there for much longer.  I fear that the one you've called for may not take pity on a soul like mine.  I do not feel like his child at all.  If I am, I am not worthy."

@Coraline   HIIII hope you don't mind us cutting in for some Coraline time in this worship.  He could probably use some hella guidance right now anyway!  :D!

.only
si vis pacem para bellum

There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
For many are called but few are chosen.

Coraline

There were many that she had yet to find in this strange new world. She had hoped that there would be a strange time-warp and that Mew would be here…alive…but she had yet to find him, and could only assume the worst. That no matter what happened, or where she went…he was gone forever. The girl had been locked away in a magical coma when he died; she was but a yearling then, and when she woke, her body had aged into that of a mature three-year-old mare, but her mind…oh her mind had stayed the innocent youth it had been when the magic took her. She still wished on stars, and chased fairy lights, and searched for mermaids in the lake. Certainly magic like that could exist here, too.

Despite the lack of noise up on the mountain, she did not hear hooves approaching until he was upon her. Hearing a voice made her jump, worried that the god she had called upon was upset with her. But when she turned to see who it was, a grin lit up her face. It was an old friend! She pranced around, unable to contain herself, prancing and pouncing, much like Pandora did in a fit of happiness. He spoke again, this time about the little red fox. ”I haven’t been able to find her here. I think the magic took her away again.” Her brow furrowed with frustration. It was definitely the magic that took the fox away – it had done it before, and now it was doing it again.

”I do live there. I like it…everyone seems pretty nice.” In truth, she had met more people not inside her home than she had while there. But then, it didn’t really seem to matter – she was content to live wherever she found a place that felt safe enough to rest her weary head. She was growing tired of troubles and tribulations and worries. Only spoke again, this time about the gods. Coraline grinned and shook her dainty head. ”Of course they’ll take pity. Everyone likes you. And besides…they can’t all be bad…right?” She thought of Fantome, and how he seemed like a genuinely amazing guy, but then set fire to their home. She hoped the gods here weren’t like that. How awful it would be if they set fire to herds and by that action, killed innocent colts who were simply trying to save their slumbering twin, and the love of their tiny lives.

”Where have you been? I’ve missed you! I’m glad you’re here!”

”Speech”

| Silver chain from the pirate siren | Blue Macaw feather in mane |
Image © Firenze Design @ Deviant Art

@Only

Only

"Sorry to hear about Pandora - "  Only continues, he supposes it is safe to assume that the rest of her entourage has also flown the coop (literally, they are birds after all).  Out of comfort he reaches out to touch her shoulder gently with his face and to his surprise, he himself is comforted by her warm and familiar feeling.  It calms him down to know his friend is here as well.  "I've seen a few others of our troupe - I might have been the last one out of the Rift but I cannot be too sure.  I've been wandering these past few weeks, but like I said before in Neverland, I don't remember all that I've been doing."  Only pauses to simply frown.  "I suppose I've gotten into a little trouble.  I miss our home - I got away with so much more mischief."  

Only bumps her shoulder playfully, he would much rather entertain Coraline than upset her and it is an understatement to say that her life has been hard.  He cannot imagine what it must be like to lose someone close to him at such a young age.  His own life has gone down a much different path and while Coraline learned of betrayal and heartache as a young child, he learned how to hunt his abusers and how to hide their bodies in the snow so deep they'd wouldn't be found until spring.

"I've been looking into the desert for a lot of my answers - and have been finding them.  Perhaps I should be looking for the one who poured all of the sand into the desert."  He laughs but it isn't a joke.  Only is begging for a miracle while Stephan sits back and sharpens his knives.  Coraline is safe but that is only because the man she knows is not the one she should fear.

"I have found Florentine, she tells me Pan is here as well.  Have you seen any others?  The Rift brought me here, to Delumine, I don't know if I want to call it home just yet - like i said, the desert has been calling to me.  I spend a lot of time there and they seem to need more help than they let on."

@Coraline  I am very sorry I dropped out for a minute - had a rough patch IRL.  I hope you'll forgive meeee

.only
si vis pacem para bellum

There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
For many are called but few are chosen.

Coraline

Coraline couldn’t help but give a sad smile at the mention of Pandora. She truly missed the little fox, but assumed she would be somewhere with Pan’s friends, too. The birds had likely been retained in the Rift; their magic was made in and of it. Another pang of sadness washed through her. She wished she could have Mew with her – at least the parrot version. But she did have one if his feathers, which was something. She pushed past the feelings and listened as Only continued. She nodded. If he had been the last one out, perhaps the others had all made it through, and were here somewhere. She had met a couple others…so there was hope the rest of them were alive and well. That made her little heart warm. As Only reached out, she did the same, lipping at his mane and tugging playfully.

He continues. ”I don’t think I’ve found any answers yet… and I haven’t found the one who poured the sand either. Do you think they’re here?” That would be an adventure worthy of finding Pan and dragging him along! Maybe they could invite Flora, too, and the four of them could go find the man who poured the sand. Oh what a story that would be to tell later on! She couldn’t help but prance a little bit in place. ”We will have to go find him! With Pan and Flora!”

”I haven’t seen the others yet. I don’t know if they made it here, or if the Rift spit them out somewhere else. It seems to like doing that – sending us in all different directions. I’m sure, if they’re here…they’ll show up eventually.” She was hopeful of that. She had to be. Anything less would probably send her into a fit of sadness, and she was just starting to come out of her shell again. ”I haven’t seen any of the gods here, but I’m told they live on this mountain. Have you seen them? Any of them?” The filly had been wanting so desperately to ask for a miracle – to have a baby by her best friend…but now she wasn’t so sure that’s what she wanted anymore. How would she answer the questions? The awkward “I want my dad!” statements? She had grown up without parents…and didn’t want that of her own child. So, the filly had been spending time thinking about what other miracles she could possibly ask for. ”I’d really like to see a miracle.” She wondered if it sounded childish.

”Speech”

Image © burdock87 @ Deviant Art / each aspect © to their respective owners

@Only  <3 <3 <3

Only

I would really like to see a miracle.

"Me too," Only bumps her shoulder and looks up into the sky where the spires of the very mountain they stand upon continue.  "I wonder if this mountain touches the sky all the way up there.  Maybe that is where you'll find what you are looking for."  The black stallion decides today will be the day that he spends with friends and not with himself - Stephan - for the darker half of his mind loved nothing more than to torment Only.  In places like this - his antagonist's voice grew quieter and quieter until it was no more.  Even now as he walks with Coraline, a relieved silence spreads across his mind and he enjoys the quiet between them.  

"I'll take you higher."  Only offers with a grin, his blonde tail swishing lazily back and forth.  Today is a good day and he has faith that it will be good for Coraline too.  "If we don't find what you are looking for - we will have to come back with Pan and Flora."  Only continues forward and patiently climbs with Coraline, some of the rock faces are steep but it is nothing compared to the Rift.  Even now as the air grows thinner and the air becomes cool enough to chill his skin, he wonders what it is all for.  Sure, he wants to help Coraline find her way and for her to find answers to the questions she wishes to ask but what's in this for him?

Nothing, he thinks.  Nothing can save him from his own Fate.  There is no miracles for the things he wants - neither are their miracles for the things he needs, like a shrink or maybe even a prescription for schizophrenia.  It would be nice, however, to find faith.  

And that makes Only think.

"I'd like to find Faith without a miracle one day, when I am ready.  I want my life back and I want Stephan to go away but I feel like that kind of a miracle is made by something other than Gods."  His admission is honest, Coraline above all would know to whom he speaks of.  The tyrant that haunts his mind, that drives him to do bad things, that insists on his own irrational, self-loathing ways.  It isn't as easy as quitting smoking or drinking either, he knows he cannot survive without Stephan because Stephan made Only up the way children do with their imaginary friends.  

"I'd like to time travel like Florentine, that way I could find the younger version of myself and talk to him about the choices he'll have to make - and the choices he should have made.  My dad was so mean. I think the other half of me became a monster just like him."  He frowns, he remembers admitting it to her once before about how unsafe his friends were around him.  "I'd like to not be worried all the time about whether or not something is going to happen."  

@Coraline   EXPLORING TIME <3

.only

Coraline

Coraline didn’t know exactly what she was looking for. She knew she needed to find something…but she didn’t know what that was. And she didn’t know if she would know a miracle when she saw it. She had seen some amazing things – horses with wings and horns, the night sky on their coats, and birds that took shape out of rocks…but were those true miracles, or were those just a trick of the strange magic of the places she’d lived? What kind of miracle would sate her curiosity? She knew above all, having her Mew back would be more than she could ever dream of, but she also knew he was gone. Gone the way so many others were…like the dragon she wanted to save; that he wanted to save her from. She smiled at the memory. He had been a good friend.

Coraline follows Only without hesitation, her button eyes struggling to see the uneven ground, occasionally tripping. She decided that perhaps, if she were able to ask a miracle from the gods, it would be to have clear sight. She didn’t care if she had button eyes…she just wanted to see what everyone else did. No more shadows and lights playing tricks on her; no more blurry outlines and maybe-outlines. Yes. That was something she would ask for, if she ever met any of the gods.

The filly listens as Only speaks, offering what he would like in a miracle. But who, other than the gods, could take away Stephen? Who, other than the gods could give him the ability to travel like Flora? Who could save him from himself, if not the gods? Silence falls between them after he finishes, with Coraline lost in thought for a moment or two. ”But if you go back, you will make different decisions, and maybe take a different path. Maybe we will never meet.” She wondered if this was even a possibility, but she fretted anyway. ”And besides… you aren’t a monster. You’re different. We all are.” She reaches up and tugs his tail. The silver girl truly did not see Only as a monster. She never had. She knew he had his difficulties, but everyone did. Hers were simpler – getting over fears and worries and indecision. His were simply more complex. But if everyone had the same challenge, life just wouldn’t be as exciting.

He spoke of not wanting to worry anymore, and though she was behind him, nodded. She could understand. Of course, they had different reasons for worrying about things to happen, but she could understand the concept. She was afraid to get too attached to anyone; as the only ones she had ever gotten close to left her, died, or betrayed her. Perhaps that was her life’s lesson – to love without abandon, without fear. To just give and give and see the best in others, no matter what they did to her. She hoped that one day, she would be able to find that one person who would be consistent. Maybe that’s why Only was here. She smiled again, a ghost of a smile tugging at her lips.

”What do you suppose we’ll find all the way at the top?”

”Speech”

@Only

Only

What do you suppose we'll find all the way at the top?

"Clouds."  Only looks back and sticks a tongue out at her.  Only tosses his wild mane of blonde hair and surges forward.  They pick up speed once they clear a steep slope that has them concentrating more on their own feet than the games they oft-times play.  Only hums loudly to himself as well as to Coraline as he dutifully climbs and climbs, stopping every now and again to look back to make sure his besilvered companion is following.

"Veneror Peak begs to be discovered, temples are beautiful but I think I like nature more."  The sun rises behind a veil of gray - and while it does not rain or shine - the world is brighter and brighter yet as they gain altitude.  "You doing alright back there Coraline?  We are almost there."  Only encourages her with a nod of his head, the peak is just a stone's throw away.  The ledge looks near impossible to get over but Only moves towards it with a fearsome determination.  

He'll reach the top even if it kills him.  He has nothing to lose anyway.

"Maybe we'll find some hope - Gods know we could use some, don't you think?"  He says then as he tries to put a positive spin on things.  Foolishly he keeps walking without paying much attention to his terrain - he's never really climbed mountains before and he knows very little of what deadly traps they keep to maintain their mysteries.

Reaching the top is treacherous, it proves to be dangerous when he loses his footing on an unexpected patch of ice.  If there are Gods, he wonders where they are in the split second it takes for him to fall down before Coraline with a great yelp of pain.  He lands hard on his shoulder and side, his back is turned towards the massive drop but rocks roll from the shift and pin his leg just right.

The ice splinters into shards and the mountain seems to growl like a dog on duty.  Only imagines that he must not be worthy of finding hope or learning of the powers that might be able to help him.  

As if to drive that point home, the slightest shift sends Only sliding down where he snags his side on a sharp rock.  The man hisses in pain and clenches his teeth, the warm blood dribbles as a warning that it is very real.

"Coraline stay where you are."  Something is cracking beneath him, the ice that was bridging two stones together grows weaker and weaker from the stress his weight puts on it.  If he moves too quick it will give away immediately - if he doesn't move soon enough it will take him down with him.  Only tries to think as quickly and as carefully as he can.

"It is ice and it is breaking, my foot - I think..." Only can't hide the panic in his voice but he tries to get up and cannot.  "Coraline I think my foot is stuck in the rocks."  The man's eyes go gray with fear as the colour drains out of him when he realizes he is truly caught.  Only lays his head down on the cool stone and listens to the ice rumble deep below him, fear fills him and makes him numb from the jabbing pain shooting up his leg.  

@Coraline  8D  Dramaaaaa

.only

Coraline

What else could the woman-child do but keep climbing? She didn’t hurry, as Only did, choosing instead to take her time and avoid a slip that could break a leg or throw her over the edge of the mountain. She shuddered at the thought of bouncing the entire way down. Who knows where she’d end up? Every time he turns or asks whether or not she’s coming, the filly bobs her head, conserving her breath for simply breathing. It had been quite some time since she’d explored this hard, and she didn’t want to lose her air, knowing it was important.

She listened as Only spoke about the peaks and discovering their secrets. Temples and nature and the like – she wondered what they would find. Only said clouds, but of course, that was the obvious answer. What if they found a better place to call home? A safe place? Or better yet…a place where she could have wings, like Averin? She liked the idea of having wings, but what would they look like? Would they match her coat? Would they be silver or white, or even black? Would they work right away, or would they just be … there? So many questions bounced around in her mind that she hardly noticed how high they were climbing.

He speaks of hope, and Coraline grins, all the while astounded that his lungs have enough air in them to not only keep him moving, but to keep on with conversation. She was breathing hard now, despite walking carefully and slowly, but she didn’t mind – the beauty that surrounded them was beyond belief. She could see the entire world (or so she thought) from up here. The different herds, where the big gatherings were; herd trails. She wasn’t sure which one was hers, but she knew it was beautiful all the same. She wished she could share this view with everyone.

As they reach the top, and the most amazing view she had ever seen, a sudden noise causes her to jump and slip, struggling to keep her footing. She sees Only fall and slide, each movement causing him more grief. She sees and smells the blood, and it causes her own blood to pump faster, heart racing at a treacherous pace. She moves to step closer, but he insists she remains where she is. Cold fear grips her now. What could she do if she was stuck where she was? She didn’t have the strength to run down the mountain and back up again before Only fell. She couldn’t fly or use telepathy. She didn’t even have the birds to deliver a message to her. All she could do was scream out and hope that someone was up here, stupidly, like they were. Maybe Pan’s Yeti would be close by!

Coraline focuses on the only ability she knows she has – telekinesis. She tries to move the smaller rocks from near Only’s foot, hoping to be able to free it enough to get him to safety. Several rocks shift and move slowly, and she tries to use the magic to grip his foot, trying to lift it from where it is stuck. She is unsure how to maneuver it, as she doesn’t know how it is stuck, but she tries, hoping to do enough to save her friend.

”Speech”

@Only

Only

The rocks move, he struggles, Coraline manipulates the energy around her like an alchemist.  While others turn pages to books or turn sheets down to their beds - she rolls stones as big as bunnies away from the foot that is pinned between rocks.

Oddly enough, it hurts more for his foot to be freed than it had been stuck.  It hangs sadly, pitifully, blood seeps from the broken skin where bone reveals itself in glistening bloody fragments.  He'll never get off the mountain at this rate, now that the stones aren't holding him steady, he slides again.

"Oh Coraline!"  He yells, more worried about putting her in danger.  "Coraline please stay ba--ack!"  The ledge is thin, it tips towards the cliff-face, his good foot hooks and curls around an old root.  Already the wood is splintering into soggy shreds, Fall has done its worst to all hope.

"I'll see you again.  We always do?  Don't we?"  He promises, a wave of his energy, warm and gentle the way a summer breeze might be, caresses the side of her face sweetly, lifts her chin, and lets go.

The root breaks and Only slips off the ledge without so much as a squeal and disappears into the mists far down below.

@Coraline  <3 remember what I told you

.only

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »