[ CLOSED♥ ] NOVUS rpg
[AW] The bluest things on earth - Printable Version

+- [ CLOSED♥ ] NOVUS rpg (https://novus-rpg.net)
+-- Forum: Realms (https://novus-rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Delumine (https://novus-rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://novus-rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Thread: [AW] The bluest things on earth (/showthread.php?tid=3314)

The bluest things on earth - Rouge - 03-13-2019

I think I'm growing into someone you could trust...

Despite living many lives and seeing many things, one thing Rou had never seen before was a building. Sitting against the horizon, a chilly autumn zephyr blowing against the grain of his skin, he cannot help but stare at it, enamored by its astounding beauty. Placed high above the trees and a raging river, everything seemed to pale in comparison to Dawn’s capitol - tawny bricks and stone make up the construct of each towering gothic spire, spun together with protruding webs of ivy. Rouge imagines the things that happen within its walls, what adventures would await him - would this be a friendly kingdom, as Tephra had been? Or would they question his intentions as Solomon had? Either way, it didn’t seem to matter. All that he could focus on was the castle as he stood there, bathing in all its glory.

He’d only just begun to understand the inner workings of his telekinesis, but if this power gave them the ability to construct something of this magnitude, well, he was surely impressed.

Rouge takes in a deep breath and begins trekking up the hillside towards the castle. It is long, and the rather treacherous river below makes for a less-than-appealing journey, but he eventually finds himself in Dawn Court, a stranger amongst them all. He’d heard the whispers of a murder here, and wished to help in whatever way possible. He whinnies a polite greeting to those who are around. “My name is Rouge, I come with no ill intent,” He states, bowing his head. “I only wish to become part of your ranks. I am not from Novus, but I am a soldier. I only ask that you allow me to see your leader, so I may plead my case.”And with this he glances to each face, hoping they may allow him to help.

...I want to shoulder the weight till my back breaks, I want to run till my lungs give up.

OOC: Written on my phone so I apologize for any weirdness :3 all are welcome!!!!

RE: The bluest things on earth - Somnus - 03-13-2019

No man was ever wise by chance.
In the days that followed discovering the bodies of Moore and Casper, Somnus had little rest. Meetings were had, orders were given, and patrols were carried out under Ulric’s dedicated and keen eye. Borders were closed, much to the fears and uncertainties of some of the court members, but it was more to keep more potential threats out of Delumine than lock them all inside with the would-be killer.

A breath left the dunalino’s grey lips as he carried himself elegantly through the citadel courtyard, his gaze dancing across the familiar cobblestone at his feet and the ivy-coated walls that kept the capitol protected. Walls. So useful in theory, but in the end they did very little to those determined enough to reach the other side. With a blink the Dawn King tore his gaze away, focusing instead on the path in front of him and the individuals that he passed on his morning stroll. To each of them he offered a nod and a smile, pausing occasionally to engage a few members of Dawn in conversation if he could spare the time. Eventually he would leave them with a few parting words, knowing that they all had business to take care of.

Above Somnus’ golden, glittering form in the early light of day, Alba whirled about. The barn owl glided through the cold autumn air rather effortlessly, having just returned to her bond-mate’s side after enjoying a hearty meal of vole and field mouse from the prairie. The owl’s beady black eyes scanned the individuals a few odd-some paces down below, and a roan figure caught her eye. Red roan. Wings.

’Your brother is back,’ Alba mentally called down to the golden stallion down below, and there was no missing the previously lax demeanor change and positively bristle with anxiety as Somnus’ head shot up to attention. ’Just ahead, to your left. Speaking with a few guards.’

Somnus’ verdant eyes immediately cut through the courtyard gardens, spotting the individual in question. His gaze went from a mixture of caution and displeasure to pleasant surprise and relief. Ah. Oriens be praised, Alba. It isn’t Atreus. This fellow was not his brother’s build, nor were his eyes stained with black ichor. Where Atreus’ face was always done up in an expression of contempt or macabre amusement, this stranger seemed far more earnest and humble. And thanks the Gods for that. Somnus wasn’t certain he could stand his brother’s company that morning.

Still, the red roan was not a familiar face, and that was a rather queer thing considering their borders had just shut. Veering from his path, the Dawn King stepped closer, the sound of his hooves clipping against cobblestone enough to drown out the murmurs of the conversation ahead until he grew close enough. Alba swooped down from above and took her customary perch upon the dunalino’s croup, just upon his dorsal stripe.

Hearing the words being exchanged, Somnus came to a halt just before the group of conversing equines. An ear tipped forward in curiosity, but his smile was warm and welcoming. Clearing his throat, he spoke.

“It’s alright, Aventus,” he said to the nearest soldier that had just stepped up to the roan fellow. The soldier immediately stood up a little straighter and nodded to the dunalino with a word of ’Majesty’, before stepping back to give the Dawn King some space.

Turning his head, Somnus regarded the stranger warmly, genuine welcome shining within the stallion’s emerald eyes. It was nice to this fellow’s blue eyes and not the warped gold and sickly ichor of his brother’s. Aside from their colors, they looked completely different in features and structure both, and he was grateful for that. The Dawn King spoke, his voice clipped and polished as it always was with his accent. ”Be welcome to Delumine, stranger. You said your name was Rouge? My name is Somnus. It's a pleasure.”

tag: @Rouge

RE: The bluest things on earth - Rouge - 03-15-2019

Rouge

They are questioning him before he can even breach the castle walls, asking him what his business was here, who he was, what his motives were. That was to be expected, especially considering the crimes committed against the kingdom - no one could be trusted, especially not an armed stranger, as he was. Rouge isn’t offended by this, in fact, he unholsters his weapon and places it on the ground, sliding it towards the guard as a sign of peace. “I mean you and your people no harm,” He says, gesturing towards the weapon with a nod of his head. There is little need for weaponry now, and as he opens his mouth to speak again, he is cut off by an affable, refined tongue. 

Rouge looks past the guard to the stallion, swathed in gold and ivory, adorned with alabaster feathers. His emerald orbs are warm, his voice tender as he calls the closet soldier, Aventus, back with a benevolent smile. Majesty, the guard calls him, and immediately Rou bows his head in respect to the Dawn King. He introduces himself as Somnus, and the roan smiles cordially. “The pleasure is mine, Somnus,” Bowing once more, Rouge finally feels comfortable enough to implore the Dawn King to allow him entrance into his court. “Yes, I am Rouge. I am not from here, but I have heard whispers as I’ve traveled of a tragedy that took place in your Court…” He pauses, swallows a growing lump. How to word this? “I was a soldier, long ago. I feel as though I can be of some assistance, and I will not lie, I want a home to protect.” It is honest, and he feels his eyes drop slowly as he reveals it. After a moment, he speaks again, standing up straighter and clearing his throat. “I lay my weapon before you as a sign of loyalty, an offering, if you will. If you are to allow me sanctuary here, I will be faithful to you and this court.” Rouge finally cracks a smile, genuine and hopeful, eagerly awaiting Somnus’ reply.

im not afraid of leaving, not of god & not of death.

@Somnus Sorry this took so long! was going to reply yesterday but the power was out for five hours xD

RE: The bluest things on earth - Somnus - 03-17-2019

The stranger, Rouge, takes a short bow after everything had snapped into place. Somnus still did not think that he deserved these people’s fealty, at least not to this degree that included bowing and reverent greetings, but it’s slowly becoming easier to accept. Eulalie’s devotion and love had helped him to see his own worth, the steady mantra of his beloved’s voice saying, ’you are enough’ repeating itself in his head during his darkest of hours. He was enough.

He will never be perfect, but he will be enough.

Emerald eyes glittered in the sunlight as he watched the newcomer, searching and assessing. ’The pleasure is mine, Somnus.’ The red roan bows his head once more, and Somnus dips his chin in return. Already he was impressed. Rouge seemed to be articulate and learned, and as he explained his prowess as a soldier, the dunalino’s interests were immediately peaked. His experience as a soldier would be crucial given the recent developments and the mysterious murders that had taken place in the Viride…

As the grisly details are brought up, Somnus inhales deeply and takes his time to mull over the desired words. What could he say? For the moment, he decided to say nothing and allow Rouge to say his own piece. It was unbecoming to interrupt, after all, and Somnus was nothing if not a gentleman.

The Dawn King’s sharp gaze glanced down at the proffered weapon. The dagger lay before his hooves, and he knew that it would take hardly a motion to bat the blade away. He would never, of course. This was an offering. A gift. It was more than just for show. This was Rouge, quite literally laying his blade down at Somnus’ hooves and allowing him to be the judge of whether or not the newcomer deserved to join their ranks, if he deserved to call this place home.

It had never been Somnus’ place to decide. He was just a man. The dunalino’s lips quirked upwards and he chuckled, a breathy, hearty sound that rumbled through his chest. Despite the stresses of the recent events, the stallion’s verdant eyes glittered with mirth and heartfelt joy. When he spoke, he did so earnestly, motioning towards the dagger upon the ground with a nod of his head.

“Be welcome, Rouge. Pick up your blade. If you are searching for a home, I pray that you find one here. Delumine would love to have you.” The Dawn King grew quiet for a moment, allowing Rouge enough time to reclaim his blade before going on with that same, knowing smile and made a vague motion with his muzzle to invite the soldier to follow. “Come. Walk with me, if you would? Tell me a bit about yourself. Where do you come from? What has brought you here?” Was it just the need to find and defend a new home? Or had something else pushed Rouge to seek a new way of life?

He hoped that Rouge would not find his inquisitive questions as rude. There could be hundreds, if not thousands of reasons that the roan had found his way to the Dawn Court, and Somnus had always been an unnaturally curious sort. Upon his croup, Alba popped her beak a few times towards the newcomer, beady black eyes staring intently at the roan stallion in general intrigue.

Somnus chuckled. “Please do not mind Alba. She is merely curious about you, and her curiosity tends to make her forget her manners.”

I love Rouge so much. ;o;

RE: The bluest things on earth - Rouge - 03-21-2019

Rouge

Somnus is warm - in his mannerisms, the sleek tone of his voice, the way his verdant eyes glimmer with curiosity and politeness in equal measure. Rouge’s mind wanders, if only for a moment, to another fellow he’d befriended so long ago - Somnus shares the same soft tone, the same gentle emerald gaze as his friend had; compassionate and empathetic. A sharp pain runs through Rou’s heart as he remembers their night beneath the stars, words of wisdom coming from Warrick’s dark lips. They’d talked of love, life, and the pain of Death...Rou wondered if Warrick had reached the other side, or if he still roamed the base of the volcano, searching for a purpose or an answer.

Rouge realizes the pause he’s taken has gone on too long. He smiles, gently nods his head as Somnus tells him to take his weapon. The blade comes swiftly from the ground, he places it beneath the blackened leather of its pouch, its golden handle poking out as if to give warning to those who may approach in a violent matter. “You are so kind to welcome me into your ranks, Somnus,” Rouge finally says, a joyous grin stretching the length of his face. “I will serve you and Delumine loyally.”

Rouge follows as Somnus begins to walk through the heart of Delumine. Hooves clip on ashen stone, and the roan cannot help but look at each face he passes with acute intrigue - he was excited to meet everyone, he was excited to have a home. He looks to Somnus as he asks a few questions, and Rou nods politely - it was only normal for a King to ask the backstory of an incoming stranger, yes?

“I come from many places,” He says with a chuckle, shrugging his shoulders. “My first home, where I was born,  was insignificant compared to the rest of my life…” Lives he should say, but he doesn’t, not yet. “My mother died -” Murdered, Rou “When I was very young. I didn’t stay long after that. When I found myself in another land entirely, that is when I felt I first considered something home.”

So Rou tells Somnus of Ellyse, his best friend. He tells him of Tephra and the volcano, how he very much enjoyed its warmth. He tells him of Kaiode, the orphan whose mother dropped him against the territory’s shores, how he took him in - how he loved him. He tells him of Tangerine, of her twins, how she helped him take care of the colt.

“They were my family,” He says, closing his eyes and taking in a shaky breath. This never gets easier, does it? “One day, Kaiode went too high upon the mountain. That boy, he was so good but he never understood consequences. I hadn’t paid attention...he jumped.” There is a long pause, as Rouge regains his composure. “Tangerine’s daughter had the ability to emit light - she was my little light - and when she panicked her beam hit him. It worsened the fall -” Blood splatter, there is nothing left. “After it was said and done I had to leave.” He goes on to tell Somnus of how he left Tephra, how on a cold and lonely evening he found AuroraElis, how they fell in love. He tells him how she convinced him to go back home, to face what he ran away from...he tells him of their first child, Phoebus ( “He was my boy of fire!”)

Rouge tells him each memory, good and bad - how he died along Tephra’s beach not long after, how he found himself in another life entirely. He tells the tale of finding Ellyse on the other side, how he found Aurora, too! He mentions how they’d conceived another child, but how he never got to meet them...he tells him about the Ice Age, about how Aurora died and about how he did too.

“Time is a fickle, funny thing,” He laughs, though he is not sure what for. “You think you have so much of it...and then you find that you really do not. I was given another chance...I don’t intend to waste this one. So when I popped up in Novus, I wandered for a bit. But then, I heard about Dawn.” Rouge nods his head to affirm. “I felt I might have a chance to right some wrongs, to help  those who need it most. I came here because I knew you needed help protecting this kingdom, I know of the crimes committed against you and yours -” He shakes his head - a tragedy, in its rawest form. “But I will stay here because you have given me a chance. And with so little time on this earth, that is the greatest gift one can give.”

The seriousness of his tone fades as he hears the rustle of feathers. He looks back to the owl that sits so properly against Somnus’ rump, beady ebony eyes staring curiously into Rouge’s cerulean pools. He can’t help but let out a hearty chortle as Somnus explains. “She seems to be quite the loyal companion. How lucky are you to have each other?” He smiles softly, turning back to the Dawn King to allow him his chance to speak.

@Somnus :3

RE: The bluest things on earth - Somnus - 04-01-2019

It is a familiar tale, the one that Rouge weaves. Somnus is silent and steadfast as the newcomer tells his story, touching on topics both intimate and bright that the Dawn King had not business in asking, let alone knowing. Still, Rouge does not hold back in the truths and circumstances that had brought him to Novus, and the things he reveals are heart wrenching. Somnus knows and understands his story, his pain. Perhaps, in a way, it made him understand Rouge in a deeper sort of way, allowing him glimpses of the heart to the man beneath the name.

It was a story of love, loss, hope, defeat, and the promise of redemption. It is a second chance, and through more and more individuals that he speaks to, Somnus has begun to understand that Novus was that very thing for so many people. A second chance. Was it not a second chance for himself, too? When Vhallen had been reduced to nothing but ash and debris in the wake of betrayal, his beloved, beautiful king slain upon steps of marble, had Somnus himself not found redemption and a second chance within Novus’ countenance?

He thought of his beloved wife, Eulalie, and their beautiful twin children, Regis and Anemone. He thought of Ulric, his best friend and closest confidant. Ipomoea and Messalina, and their beautiful, blooming relationship that they still seemed so very uncertain of. He thought of Atreus; his brother that he once had hated, and while still carrying a remarkable amount of contempt, Somnus was surprised he could no longer call it ‘hate’. What it was, he didn’t know. Perhaps only time would tell. Perhaps, if Novus was a ‘second chance’ for people, maybe Atreus, too, could find his redemption here.

Whenever Rouge would pause in his impossibly difficult tale to tell, needing a moment to steady himself, the Dawn King’s verdant eyes would glance his way in concern. He was always ready to tell him that he did not need to speak of such intimate, private details, because he knew the raw, visceral pain they could bring up… But here the rust colored roan was, spilling his heart to a stranger. Somnus could see the strength that the grief and agony had forged, building, crafting, tempering a soul into the refined man that stood shoulder-to-shoulder with him as they walked quietly through the citadel courtyard.

Inevitably, the story came to an end, and Somnus’ eyes slid closed. He breathed in deeply, collecting his mind, letting the words come to him naturally as well as give Rouge a chance to collect himself from the troubling emotion that surely such a story could drag up. The dunalino’s eyes flicked open, and he turned his head to offer the roan a warm smile once more.

“I understand,” he responded simply, because he did, “Truly, I do. The fact that you have taken these experiences in previous lives and allowed them to temper and forge your spirit and not douse it beneath its weight is quite incredible. You should be proud of yourself, my friend.” Ah, but they had just met, yet it was so remarkably easy to find a solid sort of kinship within Rouge’s experienced spirit. “You are quite right. Things have been difficult these past few weeks. With the murders within Viride, I regret to say that we are not as close to solving this travesty as I prayed we would be. Alas… With your assistance, I am certain we will stop it before it can strike again.”

Bold words, but Somnus had to believe they could do it. If not? Well, it was far too easy to give into doubt, and he could not afford to do such a thing. Glancing over his shoulder to where Alba was still perched, the Dawn King gave a hearty chuckle. It rumbled throughout his chest, warm and joyful despite the severity of the previous conversation. “Ah, indeed. She is far more than I could have fathomed, Oriens be praised. I am lucky to have her.”

Letting his gaze focus on ahead, the two winged stallions walked side-by-side once more. Their hooves scraped and clattered against the cobblestone of the courtyard, and Somnus still smiled and greeted those who they happened to pass. With the closure of the borders, many of the citizens tended to ensuring they tended to their duties or chores during the day so that they would not be outside and exposed after dark. Who knew if the creature responsible even cared about darkness? There was such limited information about it all…

“With your skills as a soldier, you should meet Ulric. He is our Warden here and is in charge of Delumine’s military forces. Ulric is a dear friend of mine, and I know that he can also assist you in settling here within Dawn. Perhaps he can organize you a patrol? It might help you learn our borders, as well as learn the others who reside here.” And help keep them safe, but that went without saying.

The Dawn King chuckled once more, his emerald eyes glittering somewhat slyly in the sunlight. “Although I doubt it will take you too long to do just that.”

RE: The bluest things on earth - Rouge - 04-04-2019

Rouge

Rouge is almost in a daze as he finishes speaking to Somnus. It had taken a lot out of him to speak so transparently about his past, about those memories both contented and sorrowful, all of them raw besides. With the way Somnus pauses after Rou finishes, he begins to have the gnawing feeling he might've said too much to the Dawn King right off the bat. The russet stallion was not often this open, as it had burned him in the past, but this time it seemed to have worked in his favor. 

Those words, stated so simply (I understand) allows Rou to let out a relieved sigh. When Somnus calls him a friend, the chaser cannot help but smile - it is these effortless moments that Rouge feels completely whole. A bond so quickly forged from shared experience and careful consideration was not something that happened everyday, but the stallion feels grateful that it did. Bold words the stallion of gold utters, that he believes with the assistance of Rou they may find the murderer soon, and a rush of pride fills his chest.

"I truly appreciate your confidence in me, Somnus," He says with a nod, glancing back to Alba's perch upon Somnus' back once more. "A God-sent creature indeed." He says to them both. He turns back and they begin to walk again, hooves  clattering against the flagstone avenue of the courtyard. He nods to curious citizens as they pass, noticing quickly how they diligently tend to their chores. Some seem overwhelmed, distracted at best, and he can only presume it is because of the fear of the monster still lurking along the borders. Rouge's cerulean eyes look back to Somnus as he speaks of a fellow named Ulric - the warden of Delumine and a close friend of the King's. 

"I will be sure to meet with him in due time," Rouge replies. Somnus jokes slyly about how he doesn't think it will take the russet stallion too long to familiarize himself with the borders and Rou lets out a hearty chuckle.  "Ah, well, you're probably right about that. You might say I have an adventurous spirit." He jests, winking at the golden stallion. He cannot help but feel like Delumine was perfect for him - 

and he intended to make it perfect for everyone else too. 

@Somnus ahhhh this is poop im sorry xD

RE: The bluest things on earth - Somnus - 04-08-2019

Rouge’s agreement to meet with Ulric was good to hear. Surely the Warden could help the newcomer to settle down and get used to how things went around Delumine, and Somnus was never against Ulric having a new patrolling buddy. The blue roan spent far too much time on his own as it was. Letting that warm, jovial grin remain on his lips as they continued their way through the courtyard and towards the looming citadel, its familiar ancient sides covered in holly and ivy, the dunalino chuckled warmly beneath his breath.

“Well, I can assure you that there is plenty to explore within Delumine proper, and beyond. The islands to the west are rather interesting if you fancy a day trip, but I must implore you to mind the flame-squirrels. They can be quite a handful.” Luckily they had since found a new home on the western islands off of the cost of the Dawn Court, but no one would soon forget the impressive amount of destruction they had caused within the Viride. Strange, that the fires had happened and then the murders had arisen within the forest. Perhaps there was some kind of connection?

Reaching the citadel, Somnus halted long enough to make a vague motion towards the looming structure with a flick of a wing. His smile remained a warm one, but there was no missing the look of pride that seemed to radiate from the stallion’s demeanor. This was home, and he loved it. Even before becoming King, he had adored this place of second chances. It offered so much to its people.

“There are empty chambers within the citadel, should you desire to bed down there. Of course you are free to find respite wherever you desire, if this does not suit you. Everyone is allowed to come and go as they wish.” The horses of Delumine built their homes wherever they deemed fit, but a majority of the inhabitants of Dawn did seem to live within the court proper. Currently it was far safer, but Somnus was not about to tell Rouge where he could and couldn’t rest his head at night. If he was anything like Ulric, however, he worried that the rust-colored lad might not need a place to reste.

Turning his head, the Dawn King’s emerald eyes glittered warmly towards the court’s most recent addition. ”If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. We take care of our own here.” Or, try to, at least, but Somnus knew that he did not need to explain that. Rouge knew of the murders and clearly did not judge them for it, but even though the guilt and pain of it all stung him like the sharpest of blades, they were trying. That had to account for something, right?

wow what are words? xD

RE: The bluest things on earth - Rouge - 04-09-2019

Rouge
Listening to how Somnus spoke of his friend, Ulric, made Rouge rather excited to meet him. The Warden, as it was, would hopefully become a commander to the russet stag yet, and given time, hopefully a trusted friend. The King goes on to talk about the island to the west, and Rouge pricks up his ears in intrigue. The promise of warmer climates was always rather intriguing to the fellow, so he figures he might go there to wrap up winter once the monster was (hopefully) caught. When the golden stallion speaks of the fire-squirrels, Rou nods his head. "I believe I saw the extent of their damage before I came to meet you," He admits, remembering much of the charred remains of the great evergreen forest. 

They continue to match pace, onward towards the building on the edge of Delumine proper. The cobblestone is cool on Rou's tired hooves, autumn leaves crunch satisfyingly beneath his feet. Finally, Somnus tells him about the fortress, how there are plenty of chambers should Rouge wish to rest there. It is comforting, at the very least, to know he has somewhere to lay his head at night. The citadel looms over them - a towering, powerful figure that reminds him much of the volcano of his first home. Browned, untamed ivy climbs its walls, winterberry sprouts beneath the vines, painting the building a complimentary shade of crimson. He smiles at Somnus. "I will be sure to keep that in mind," He says politely, before letting out a soft chuckle. "However, I don't do much sleeping." An insomniac since birth, Rouge often found himself struggling to sleep, sometimes staying up for days at a time. He could never quite figure out if this was simply just genetics, or if it had something to do with the uncontrollable urge to protect those around him. 

Maybe he'd never find out, but it didn't seem to matter. Right now, all that matters is he has a home. "I know you do," He says to Somnus, blue eyes glittering as he smiles. "Thank you for everything. I'm sure it will be a pleasure to serve you and yours."

@Somnus Words are hard xD

RE: The bluest things on earth - Somnus - 04-28-2019

All it took was a single phrase from Rouge to know that the russet colored stallion and the Warden of Delumine would be fast friends. Somnus’ golden brows arched for a single moment in curiosity, wondering of the terrible irony, before he chuckled once again. The sound was deep but gentle, a soothing sort of paternal chuckle that he so oftentimes used whenever particularly surprised by Regis or Anemone. He wondered, briefly, what his children might think of this spritely, eager warrior, traversing different lands only to have wound up here.

“Should you ever find your tasks too weary, just know you can always rest your head here. Or in the barracks, if you should so prefer.” Somnus knew that Ulric himself often slept there, hardly coherent enough to remain standing before falling into the nearest empty cot and catching up on as much sleep as he could manage. The blue roan truly worked himself too hard, and the gilded king worried for his health. If only Ulric knew the meaning of the words ‘take a break’.

Letting his gaze drift skyward towards the top of the citadels, the stone masonry painted hues of pinks and reds from the setting, evening sun, Somnus held his breath. The beauty of this land would never be lost on him, along with the relief that he felt that despite their trials and travesties, their losses and difficulties, they still remained standing. Determined, devout, and stubborn to the very end. Ever so slowly did verdant eyes lowered, his stare glittering in the dying light before focusing on Rouge’s russet, stained frame once more.

He smiled, his heart beating a little faster within his breast at the stallion’s freely-given praise. It was hard to think that the creatures of the world held such resolute conviction towards him, but it was humbling. “Ah. You humble me, Rouge, but I am still just a man.” Infallible, imperfect, and prone to evenings of brooding over coffee that had long since gone cold. Somnus wasn’t perfect. Once upon a time that would have shaken him to his very core, uprooting the foundation of his livelihood beneath him… But since coming here, to Delumine, and becoming a disciple of Oriens and starting a family of his own, the Dawn King had learned so very much.

He wasn’t perfect, but he knew now that he didn’t have to be.

Clearing his throat, the dunalino gave a shake of his head and began his trek once more, hooves scraping across cobblestone. He stared at Rouge through a veil of ivory and grinned. “Come. I’ll show you to the barracks.”

I figure we could end here and pick up a new thread? :D