[ CLOSED♥ ] NOVUS rpg
[P] -- listen to the waves crash; - Printable Version

+- [ CLOSED♥ ] NOVUS rpg (https://novus-rpg.net)
+-- Forum: Realms (https://novus-rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Ruris (https://novus-rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://novus-rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=96)
+---- Thread: [P] -- listen to the waves crash; (/showthread.php?tid=3628)

Pages: 1 2

-- listen to the waves crash; - Lasairian - 05-20-2019

is this a natural feeling or is it just me bleeding?
He wasn't giving it a lot of thought to where he was currently going, and maybe that was okay. Maybe it wasn't, but who was going to tell him to stop, to go back the way he had come? Not to say that he wouldn't listen or would, if that was the case. All of those things would be decided on a case by case basis, and Lasairian felt fine in how life had been for him lately. It all fell into place for him, as strange as that might sound to others. Or to himself, frankly speaking. Lasairian wasn't sure why he had ended up in this place, or why it was so fitting when he least expected it to be. 

Too many things had worked out for him to not feel like he somehow belonged. That he had been nudged in this direction by some unseen force. He honestly felt like he had, and it wasn't a bad thing. He was getting comfortable in this strange new life, and he liked where he lived, seemed to get along with most residents in general, and liked the field he was in. Being a medic was like second nature, though he was still debating where he should go from there. What area he should specialize in once he got up to that point. At least two of the options had his attention so far. But choosing would have to come later.

He was confounded by what had happened near the sea recently, because he had expected worse from an erupting volcano than this. Some odd path of lava rock bridged over the water. It was strange and unnatural in how it had been formed, but Lasairian hadn't put it past the deities to have had a hoof or two in that. At least they were saved from worse, as far as volcanoes went, so how could he really complain about it being odd? It wasn't hurting him, as much as it felt dangerous around the bridge, so he had faith that the deities knew what they were doing or how to keep it all in check if nothing more.

Aside from that, there were moments that the area felt like the highlands near where he had come from, with the waves crashing against the shores and the way the wind might pass on through. Sometimes those reminders were nice. Sometimes they didn't sting so much. Lasairian wasn't that today was one of those days, but he was holding it together anyway. He was relaxed and not letting the past get to him. But even with that, he was lost in thought and unanswered questions, which was why he felt a little caught off guard when he heard the sound of someone else nearby. "Hello? Someone out there?" he called lightly, turning around to look.
tag — @Below Zero
template by cas • equine lines by AriesRedLo • border image from hashtag-bg.com

RE: -- listen to the waves crash; - Below Zero - 05-21-2019

Below Zero

my frost philosophy will put no curse on me

Bel was struggling to figure out more about this new land she’d recently decided would be ‘decent enough’ for home . . . although, anywhere that lacked creatures with more teeth than brain cells were good in her book, and so Novus had seemed like as good a place as any to let down anchor at. Needless to say, it had taken less than two flips of a fin for her to be with in beaching distance. But that had been a fair few weeks ago, and Bel was certainly beginning to go with the current, and settle herself into the new life style that was to be her own within the boundaries of Novus. A life style that had a tendency to leave her more dry that she preferred.

Now, don’t get Bel wrong, she was in no way the sort to complain about the home she had found in the Dusk Court, but that didn’t lessen the fact that the only substantial amount of water she could relax in was that of a murky marsh with a heavy weight to the air . . . . Most unpleasant for a being that had previously kept the comforts of the sea . . . . and so it was to the sea she had a tendency to return too. The feeling of the water swallowing her deep, the sights of the fish, the odd muted sounds that came with the natural world beneath the waters’ surface; it all held a temptation that never failed to draw the aquatic mare to the water’s edge.

It was hardly a surprise that she had chosen to spend a portion of the day today beneath the crashing torrents above. Color flooded her vision, even as the second set of eyelids closed protectively over dual set of eyes, capable of being seen through without subjecting her vision to the harsh sting of salt. Gills opened, fluttering as water was cycled through them, the oxygen being removed from it as it passed through her gills, bypassing the lungs she used when on land. Her rigid spinal fin stood out in contrast with the softer colors of the underwater world that seemed to have expected her to succumb to their wild force before she’d revealed her primarily aquatic nature and was welcomed by the sea and the life it held in its protective grasp.

This was a world she felt comfortable in, it was far more familiar then living among others that were like her, but not. They may be equine, but they certain were not Pod. Unfortunately, she couldn’t escape from Novus forever, it was her home now, which meant she was destined to return from the waves at some point, whether she wanted to or not. And so she turned her body, tucking her fore-hooves close to her chest, while her back hooves kicked back, pushing herself towards the right direction before that powerful tail of hers sliced downwards through the water, propelling her forward with the grace and elegance that could only belong to the creatures of the ocean.

She made her way towards shore, her fin breaching the surface first before the rest of her body followed, her stance and movements shifting from swimming to a mere wading, as her hooves touched ground and drew her through the shallows. Water trailed from her body, glistening and reflecting off of the silver of the ram horns that curled around her finned ears. Her eyes blinked a few times, as both sets of lids resumed a more open state, and her gills slid into a firmly closed position, water trailing slightly from the edges, ridding the last of the water before her lungs shifted into use. Her tail lightly trailed through the water, a light wake left in her path, as she headed to shore, hooves crunching against dark, wet sand, immediately turning in the direction that would take her back to Dusk Court, already missing the allure of the sea behind her.

She had seen him from the distance as she came ashore, had altered her trajectory accordingly to give him space – no need to school around a stranger after all. However, she wasn’t expecting him to take such distinct notice of her, asking if someone was there, even as he turned in her direction. He was a lighter creature – not quite so pure as the near white of her own body beneath the dark and light blues that broke up her design. It stood out here when on the earth, but when underwater it served as a decent form of camouflage from those with a taste for equine.

She remained silent for mere moments, meeting his gaze with her foremost pair of eyes (the second pair quickly scanning the area to ensure there were no others waiting to snatch her up in jawed embrace. "Oh, uh, Hello? Sorry, was just coming in on the tide." She stated with a pinch of awkwardness to her tone. She wasn't the most community driven fish. Sure, there was the Pod, but that didn't mean they mingled with others; and it did put a faint dampening on social skills when you're caught with one fin in the kelp jar. "My apologies if I've disturbed you. I wasn't intending to, of that I assure you." She added, a faint dip of her head, horns gleaming faintly with refracted light, the swoop of her fin down the line of her neck visible. She straightened soon after, cyan eyes focusing more firmly on the stallion, "My name's Below Zero, mother always said it's polite to introduce yourself. Most call me Bel though, as my name tends to be an awkward mouthful to use as a name." She finally added, if but a touch awkward.

Thoughts
Speech

Tagging: @Lasairian

i feel no cold, i feel no fear inside my mind

Now I'm full of energy

RE: -- listen to the waves crash; - Lasairian - 05-21-2019

Lasairian hadn't given much thought to what would be a decent place to live or not. He had just started out and away from the Bheo, from everything that he had known. He had his reasons for going, and he had felt deeply that they were for the best, that they were enough to leave over. They had to do with his very health, and in more ways and areas than one. It wasn't doing him any good to stay, and he had done as much as he felt that he could there. What had been left for him when he could not dare to be around his mentor any longer? If that was the problem, the temptation that could only do him harm if he gave into it? No, Lasairan had to leave all of that behind.

He would never be allowed to gain rank there, halfbreed that he was. There was no place up there for him, and yearning for it while he was barred from it because of what he had been born as? That was detrimental to his health as well. It left him with so few options, and he could only drag down future lines if he went in that direction, too. Not that Lasairian was meant for those things. He couldn't shake where his heart was at, and he honestly did not want to. He had his ways in how he used magic, and to lose his edge was not something that Lasairian had felt willing to do for brief pleasure. It wasn't enough, and he had already given that option up years ago.

Of course the sting in the fact that he no longer had magic to wield was something that really messed with his head at times. He had forgotten it's loss more than a few times to only be jarred back into remembering in a way that was painful. Lasairian didn't know how to be something without magic, but he was really trying to sort himself out where all of that was concerned. He had gone into the medic skill, was pushing himself into all of that, as much as it tied in back to what his life had been before here, to his mentor and the skill he had been best known for. In some ways, it was more painful that way, and in others, it was better and somehow soothing, too. Confusing, certainly.

Lasairian was keeping his head up regardless, and save for the missing magic, he felt that this was where he belonged now. He was drawn here by some unseen force. Had to be. That was what he believed in now, and he was sticking to it. He did think that a lot of the situations he found himself in worked out rather well for him, as strange as it could be. The Dawn court was about knowledge and so many things that Lasairian believed in, too. The things that he reached for. They had the library, which was undoubtedly his favorite place in all of Novus, and the king of the Dawn court was someone Lasairian already respected upon first meeting him. Not to mention the Dawn deity liked tea.

It was funny and such a small thing, but Lasairian adored tea as well. It made him happy to know that it was something appreciated by the Dawn god, too. Something that Lasairian could work into how he presented to Oriens, too, when it came to that. So there it was, not some grand thing, but a series of small things that fit just right, that felt right to him. For all of that, Lasairian felt pretty content with what he had and what he was working towards. Yes, he was hoping to gain his magic back, or at least part of it. That didn't need to be said, he didn't think. It just was. And with all the books in the library, Lasairian had all he needed to study on it all when he could.

He could be thinking more on that, rather than the past and why being right here and looking out could hurt, but his mind roamed where it wished to sometimes, and Lasairian could only reign it in most of the time and proceed onwards. At least he was distracted enough by the presence of someone else there near him. He hadn't seen them right off, but he heard the movements as he began to turn around and look. He wasn't sure what he had been expecting when he looked and saw the other there, but maybe not what he was seeing. Nothing wrong with what he beheld by any means, no. She wasn't even all that strange with where Lasairian had come from, in fact.

But she was considered different here, in Novus, and Lasairian hadn't seen anyone like here here. He hadn't seen anything quite like her elsewhere, either, but having multiples of eyes and fins wasn't unknown to him, either. Not back there. Here it was a little bit of a surprise, but he didn't feel like it was a bad one by any means. She was a welcome sight to him. Her silence made him wonder if how he had spoken was deemed rude -- and he really hoped not! -- to which he was struggling to figure out how to retrace his words so that she wouldn't be upset by him. Some way to apologize so she did not think unkindly upon him for whatever cultural error he may have made.

Then she finally spoke, and Lasairian relaxed more on that. Coming in on the tide. Made sense with all those fins, so he nodded at her. He was curious though, overly so. He was startled from his questions when she apologized to him on if she disturbed him, and he shook his head quickly, wanting to dispel that thought immediately, "oh no, you are completely fine, no worries on that. I don't mind meeting others," he responded gently, giving her a friendly smile. When she told him her name, and why she did so, Lasairian chuckled warmly. "She's probably right, and it's nice to meet you, Bel. I'm Lasairian, but Lasair works too," he added, glancing back at her tail, "do you mind if I ask what it's like to have a tail like that?" were the curious, questioning words posed to her next.
tag — @Below Zero

RE: -- listen to the waves crash; - Below Zero - 05-22-2019

Below Zero

Bel felt a bit like a fish out of water (pun not intended) here on the island of Novus. She felt a little out of place, she knew she was a little unlike anything she had really been noticed here before. Perhaps a bit of the wrong element, a touch of the unfamiliar, a little out of the water. And as such she had developed a sort of hesitancy towards meeting others, expecting some sort of remark to her unique-ness. She wondered how many of those that stopped to stare at her ever thought of how strange they were to her?

Where Below Zero had come from, she was considered much like the others, tails for swimming, an assortment of fins aiding in the under water world they lived in. Dual eyes to help with peering within the dark depths. She was completely normal she was just like anything else - back in her home Pod. Coming from the aquatic depths to on land had been a startling change - not just of scenery, but of it all. It was taking a decent amount of time for her to feel any sort of comfort to any of it. Perhaps it was how set in her ways she could be, or her social awkward behavior that came from a more secluded upbringing (which happened when you lived in the polar arctic and subarctic). But she was finding more of a stride, and as she did so she was beginning to settle a little more.

It was slow progress, but progress. That didn't necessarily mean that she felt comfortable around others just yet - especially strangers. And so the cream and red stallion ahead was enough to make her cautious to avoid distracting him from where his thoughts seemed to have him held, as well as just avoiding him in general. Strangers were to be treated with caution in her point of view, you never knew friend from foe. You just couldn't be sure.

Upon being called upon, however, she had seemed to freeze - silent as she stared at him. Unfortunately she hadn't quite realized how long her own silence had stretched. Still when she finally did speak, although awkwardly, she couldn't help but shuffle a forehoof faintly, slightly tense as she waited for his response. Although, she wasn't quite expecting him to so quickly deny her disturbance, reassuring even that he didn't mind meeting others. She returned the smile a little more shyly, though no less friendly. Lasair, as he introduced himself, then startled her with a question she'd never been asked - much less thought about (perhaps from being raised with others who had similar appendages?).

Both sets of bright blue eyes widened, as she turned her head to observe the tail that seemed to flick some of the remaining water from the fluke, nervously twitching under the combined attention of herself, and Lasair, "Oh, uhm, I've never really thought about it . . . I guess it's like any other part of my body, an extension if you will of my back. I've got fairly good control of it. It's rather flexible as well, though I'm fairly fexible in general, you have to be to be able to make quick turns beneath the water." She paused for a moment, glancing at the male, before motioning him forward, "You can touch it, if you'd like. It might be a touch different then your used to." She offered.

It was likely to be true, thanks to the thick lining of blubber underneath her epidermis and protecting the dermis layer itself, but it gives her pelt a much smoother feel, the muscles protected beneath it, not as noticeable thanks to protective fatty layer, and thanks to that blubber her body temperature tended to be a bit colder than others at first feel - the blubber trapping her heat better against her core. And with her pelt with a fairly silky texture, and having only one layer tended to be described as soft to the touch (thanks to the only one coat, instead of the normal two layers of pelt most other horses have). Small features that aided in her ability to live primarily with in the water - smooth blubber that reduced the amount of heat that left her body, and the single layer of fur that held a water-resistant quality that aided in her ability to swim smoothly with out being weighed down by a drenched pelt, resulting in a smooth body and silky, light fur. A difference that had to be felt rather then noticed visually - unlike the rest of her oddities, "My Pod, er birth herd; and I lived primarily deep underwater, so we're built a little differently to help keep us alive in the depths." She added, not giving away much about just HOW she was different, but explaining why touch was necessary to understand how unique the tail was.

Thoughts
Speech

Now I'm full of energy

RE: -- listen to the waves crash; - Lasairian - 05-23-2019

He understood being different, but in an instance like this, it wasn't the same. Here, Lasairian fit in more, for whatever reason. He wasn't bothered by that, though. He was comfortable with the fact that he could blend in better here. That he didn't have much that really stood out here, and it gave him more energy to focus on other things, like obtaining more knowledge. That was where he usually found himself, though. Nose stuck in a book, often in the library, or asking several hundred questions of everyone he met to broaden his horizons. Maybe that made him obnoxious to some, but he truly did not mean any harm in it. He was just curious.

Lasairian was oddly adjusted to kelpies, even before coming here, so that part was easy enough to breeze by, but those that he had known did not have tails like Bel did. Or two sets of eyes. Everything else was up in the air with fins and such, though. His main interest was the tail for now, because he couldn't image having one like that. How it must feel to use one to swim, or how it must be to have it here on land where it didn't really have much use. Or that was what he suspected, since he couldn't be sure if that was true or not. Just a guess, though he supposed it could be used as another weapon in combat, strong as it might be.

Having a tail that could be whipped around sans the finned part was something Lasairian had known before, though that form hadn't been his normal form. It was a battle form, more or less. He had enjoyed it, but that was something that he had put behind him. Fighting wouldn't be the same in this form, and the reasons for it would be quite different, he suspected. Back before this place, there had been three forms that he could take, though he honestly couldn't tell for sure which one was the more natural one for him. Perhaps the puff of smoke. Hard to explain to most, but it was more just energy in a raw form. He hadn't used it often.

Lasairian didn't even miss it now. Not that one. He wasn't sure how much he really concerned himself with the loss of the other two, either. He was doing well enough here, and while it was an adjustment to get used to it all, he settled into it rather easily. Would he have ever thought that a place like this might feel so fitting to him before being here? No, not in the slightest. He probably would have thought anyone who said it might be, to be on something, too. Yet here he was, and so far so good. Maybe it was the simplicity of it all that had him connecting with it all. Except the whole volcano thing, but that was just odd.

Not something that Lasairian wanted to muse too much upon, because it made him think that something less than good was afoot here. That was the kind of shenanigans that the Bheo might boast, when things were going awry. Maybe that was why Lasairian didn't like the idea of it here. He didn't want those problems to come to this place, where he was feeling more comfortable day by day. He wanted to keep that comfort, that sense of belonging. Perhaps he was asking for too much, and maybe all he could do was blame himself for how this was turning out. Lasairian wasn't going to let it chase him off that easily, though.

He focused instead on Bel, on the way she was not looking at her own tail and telling him that she had never really thought about it. The curiosity was in his gaze as he looked and listened to her words of her control over it, the flexiblity of it, of herself. He nodded at that, giving another brief glance over her frame, thoughtful at that. She did have good structure for aquatic life, which was often a graceful thing on land, too, with practice. If one was built for that sort of thing, for being both on land and in water. Lasairian couldn't fathom what that might be like, though. There had been nothing like that for him to know on a personal level.

When Bel glanced at him and motioned him forward, saying that he could touch her tail, his eyes widened a bit. It was quite generous of her to allow such a thing, and Lasairian stepped carefully closer to her, "I'd be honored to, if you're sure you don't mind," he said lightly, getting close enough to lower his head a little and press his nose to her tail. It certainly did feel differently than any equine skin and fur that he had felt before, that much was true. It was nice and smooth, sort of silky, even. He pulled back slowly and smiled at her, "feels as silky as I imagine a Selkie pup would feel," he commented, head tilted.
tag — @Below Zero

RE: -- listen to the waves crash; - Below Zero - 05-23-2019

Below Zero

Bel tilted her head, pondering about what it might be considered, being like to have her . . . unique attributes. SHe'd never really thought about it - they had always just been a part of her. She hadn't really imagined a time with out them, or what it might feel like to not have it, especially her tail. It was an extension of herself, it was what made her survive the water with the agility and grace she did so - the speed to outrun predators, avoid dangers, dodge coral beds. All of it.

Still, she tried to find a way to explain it, before finally deciding to just allow him to touch it. As his eyes widened at the offer, she managed a half amused smile, shifting and curling her tail towards him so he wouldn't have to dip too low to press his nose against her tail. At his response, his smile, she nodded with a light smile of her own, "Yes, it's not quite like normal hides. My pod and I, we're all built similar. We're lacking that second, denser undercoat, and the top coat that we do have tends to be of a silkier texture. Both to aid in water. The silkiness of the strands allow water to be repelled from it better, and aids in our ability to swim with out being weighed down by heavy wet fur, an effect that is doubled as I've got much less hair than most. I never imagined myself as a selkie though . . . . I do know that if you ignore the fur, I've got a similar feel as that of a whale . . . . although, now that I say that, you've probably never swam with one to even know what they are like . . ."

She fell silent for a moment, before she spoke again, her primary set of eyes turning to gaze at her tail, even as the second set refocused on him from the corner of the eye. "Anyways . . . while it's super useful, my tail I mean, when I'm swimming . . . it also helps with balance on land. And I need all the helping fins I can get with that! When you've lived most of your life underwater, you tend to deal with a different sort of . . . atmosphere maybe . . . around you. Air like water. You have to give yourself a lot more power to push through water . . . So now that I'm here on land, I'm constantly tumbling from stepping forward with too much force behind my steps. Makes me feel like an upside down newly hatched fry . . . . trying to get my barrings, and understanding exactly how to walk on harder soil . . . So, my tail helps stabilize me a lot, acting like a counterweight for my balance." She added with a subtle shrug of her shoulders that caused the fin down her back to ripple with the motion, "Unfortunately, I'm not sure how else to explain it . . . but please, feel free to ask anything else . . . . and I hope I'll be able to explain it well enough." Well, within reason anyways . . . She might explain her mutations, but that was all she was willing to really explain to a stranger, even one who seemed as nice as Lasair.

Thoughts
Speech

Now I'm full of energy

RE: -- listen to the waves crash; - Lasairian - 05-23-2019

Lasairian wasn't sure what his losses changed about his chances with survival, though there were obvious things that would have helped him with it, and a few things that left him vulnerable, but no more than many of the other equine types here. Lasairian did not like his lack of magic; but that was where it bothered him the most to have lost. Some here had magic, but not many. Not like it was back at the Bheo. Then again, it wasn't used the same here. They didn't have the same needs in Novus, and that wasn't really a bad thing. Lasairian found it sort of refreshing, even.

There would still be those that were set apart from the norm, and while he was no longer one of those, he remembers some of the feelings from being odd in one way or another. That is not something he wants to make other feel, and therefore he tries to curb his curiosity so that it hopefully wouldn't be upsetting. Lasairian couldn't help but want to learn more and understand, but Bel seemed to be taking it all in stride so much better than Lasairian would have imagined. She was teaching him quite a bit about her tail, and it was more than he would have tried to pry over, too.

He was putting her words to memory, just in case such knowledge could help in other matters somewhere down the line. As a medic, know these things could most certainly come in handy if someone like Bel needed medical attention, so Lasairian was grateful for enough information to be able to better help in that sort of instance. Oriens forbid that anything bad should happen to anyone like Bel, though. She was an exquisite creature, and he hoped that she would be able to thrive here, and perhaps bring more of her pod, too. No one should be alone if they didn't choose it, after all.

Lasairian had chosen his type of being alone, and he was okay with it as long as he was also able to have friends and others to talk to. That was enough for him, and how he felt it should be. Most others, though, needed more than that, and Lasairian hoped they would find it. And he would continue to seek out friendships and knowledge, learning things like this. That Bel's tail felt almost like a whale might feel. She was right in that he had never swum with one, let alone had the chance to touch one, and he laughs lightly, "nope, never saw one up close, either," he responded with a shake of his head.

While he isn't bothered by the experience that he lacks, he does silently add meeting a whale to his list of things he eventually wants to do. He wonders how he would get close enough for that, but it was a debate for another day. Lasairian listens to Bel explain about her tail helping with balance on land, and why it was a help. It's interesting to hear these things and know that's what it's like going from the water life to walk on land, and he nodded to what she was telling him, finding it enlightening to know how she was affected on land as opposed to being in water.

Once she had finished speaking for a moment, Lasairian smiled warmly at her, "I think your explanation was well done, and gets the point across. From a medical standpoint, I'm glad that you are so kind as to explain these things, so I can help those like you if it ever comes up. Though I sincerely hope that it doesn't, and I always find you and those like you in good health," he responded, then looked thoughtful, "are there any tried and true things that help heal those like you that might not be commonly known about? It's always good to learn about how other cultures cure and heal," he added evenly.
tag — @Below Zero

RE: -- listen to the waves crash; - Below Zero - 05-24-2019

Below Zero

Bel was steadily growing more and more comfortable as she talked to the stallion, her previous nerves disappearing fairly well. Perhaps not as quick as more socially adept creatures, but well enough that she was returning smiles and answering questions. She could still hear herself rambling her answers though, a bad habit when she was still in that 'i'm shy and not sure what to make of you just yet' stage. Which probably was the biggest contributing factor to the word vomit that she'd unleashed at the topic of her tail.

She was grasping straws to try and keep herself mostly under control and not look like a frightened guppy attempting to talk it's way out of a potential confrontation. She was certain she was passing herself off for far more collected than she actually was feeling, but she eager clung to any topic presented to her, which is definitely why she couldn't not comment about the whales, "Word of caution, don't get too close if you absolutely can. They're big, and while most are gentle giants, they have a tendency to swim through you rather than around you. They don't mean to, but they forget their own size." She mused, before he could start making plans to coming across a whale.

Besides, whales lived in deep waters . . . with lots of other terrifying creatures, with large teeth or deadly tentacles. There were dangers out in the depths, dangers that tempered the beauty and calmness of the waters. It took one flip of the fin to put yourself in dangerous waters, and even an experienced swimmer like Bel had to keep her wits about her out there. His next comments startled her though, her head turning towards him. Was there any things to help heal her people. There was a certain tensing of her body, her gaze shifting away from him, suddenly hesitating with information. What should she say. There were few methods of medical treatment. Any wound would leak blood into the water. Any disease caught was too dangerous to spread in such cold climates. It was rare for anything to be treated with out exile. The safety of the all out-weighed the value of the one.

She didn't meet his gaze this time as she spoke, her words more halted, stilted as she tried to find the best way to respond, "Uhm . . . healing methods? I know . . . that sometimes if we were land-bound for a long period, small wounds would be treated with a poultice of sorts. Using seaweed and sponges - I don't know what kinds though, as well as mollusks that have been crushed into a paste. The weird paste was applied to seaweed which would then be wrapped around or over the wound, with additional paste to hold it in place. The sponges were quick fix sort of things . . . but being near and in water so much, it's hard to keep a wound clean, much less medication on it. Sometimes we'd chew the seaweed, it's helps with swelling and stuff . . . . but . . ." She paused, her features twitching into a grimace, "Well, typically if you're wounded . . . depending on the severity . . . there's . . . no treatment that can be done. Blood leaks into the water . . . it gets the attention of . . . " Her eyes were hollow as she turned back towards Lasair, "The safety of the Pod had to come first . . . it's a dangerous world, where I come from . . . . Extremely dangerous."

Thoughts
Speech

Now I'm full of energy

RE: -- listen to the waves crash; - Lasairian - 05-24-2019

Lasairian probably wouldn't consider himself socially adept, and therefore could not judge whether or not someone else was, but he thought that Bel was being polite and social enough. Way more than he would have thought a stranger might be, considering just how much she was telling him. He was pretty pleased to be learning so much, to have information that could prove to eventually be helpful later on down the road. He was certainly grateful for that much. Lasairian had no idea that Bel would be so giving with information when he asked about her tail, more used to the simple and direct answers to questions from others.

It wouldn't have occurred to him that all that talk from Bel was because she might be nervous or something of that nature, because Lasairian was trying to come off as calm and not at all intimidating. He meant no harm and he wanted to show that, though he understood why others would still be cautious. He was even glad when they were, because he knew there were plenty out there who seemed less threatening than they were. It was best if strangers were prepared for that sort of thing. Prepared, but not rude up front unless given a reason to be. That was how Lasairian tried to look at things and go forth with. He hoped that was how he came off as, at least.

He could deal with confrontation if he had to, but as he was, in this form, he honestly wasn't sure how he would stack up in a fight if he were pushed into one. He wasn't really in any rush to be in a fight, either, if he could help it. He didn't think that there was any reason that he should be challenged, considering the fact that he tried not to step on any hooves here. Then again, that sort of thing did not always make sense, which was a lesson that Lasairian had already learned in life. Grudges could happen in any situation, even when trying to avoid such things. All he could do was try to keep out of trouble and keep out of the way.

Hearing Bel's comment on not getting too close to whales due to accidental hazards with their size had Lasairian thoughtful, but he stored that away for later as well, just so he would know to use caution if ever he did end up meeting a whale. Which he still wanted to do, but if she has wisdom to pass down on that kind of situation, then Lasairian was going to listen to her. She had lived around those creatures, after all. She would know. He could bet that any question deep sea related would be something she could answer for him, if he had more of those. Nothing really came to mind at the moment, but eventually he was sure he would want to learn more on it.

What he did notice, however, was when he was asking about the medical side of things, Bel had tensed, had shifted her eyes away from him again, and Lasairian felt that he must have poked at a tender spot. He didn't mean to, wouldn't have thought that those questions would have a sore spot, but now he was very aware of it, and would be mindful of how he asked anything further of that nature. He was sure she had her reasons for it, and he wasn't going to press about it. In fact, he was ever so grateful that she had decided to give him any answers on it at all. He wasn't going to push his luck on it, so he simply listened respectfully to what she had to say.

What she gave was more than enough, and it was knowledge stored away so that he might write it down later so he did not forget. This was not a topic he wanted to bring up again if it bothered her so much to speak of it. All of it made more sense as she continued, though, and Lasairian's eyes widened at what she was implying happened to those in the water that were wounded. He could see why things were like that, but what it actually meant in practice sounded horrifying to those who would suffer for those losses, for those in that boat. "I am so sorry, I didn't realize— please forgive me for my insensitivity, I had no idea," he said, concern on his features.
tag — @Below Zero

RE: -- listen to the waves crash; - Below Zero - 05-24-2019

Below Zero

There was a distinct part of Bel who felt relieved that when it came to her slightly awkward tendencies, she at least once one of those painfully shy and quite type . . . in fact, it was typically getting her to shut up that was the problem. Word vomit had become a typical sign of her feeling unsure, or awkward in a situation - typically wandering around an actual topic, or sharing too much about novel things (such as the unique state of her having a tail). Of course, it also tended to lead to her very quick withdrawn behavior when a subject hit something she was unfamiliar.

Thankfully she was slowly warming up to Lasair, and was beginning to feel less awkward, less uncertain. Small shifts would only be noticeable to those who knew her well. Her responding smiles, or even the way she was steadly rambling less, though still talking a fair bit. She smiled faintly when she spoke of the whales, hoping he took her words to heart. He'd shown a great amount of curiosity to her tail, and she wondered how far his curiosity went. Would he be the sort to really, truly search out anything that made him curious - was he even the sort to want to meet a whale after hearing about them. Hmm, perhaps she was now the one seeming to be as curious as a dolphin with a new toy.

However when the topic turned to that of healing methods, and how they were handled by the Pod, there was a distinct shift in the behavior she was showing outwardly, but even that was nothing compared to the maelstrom growing within her mind. Medication, healing techniques, very few were ever used, it was too risky to the Pod. Her father had refused to abandon her little sister after her severe injury for a full two weeks before the close calls became to many. The cries of her sibling begging them to not leave her behind haunted her for so long - it had led to her own chose in leaving the Pod.

Still she couldn't just not answer him. Her words were halting as she tried to come up with just about any way to give him an answer . . . . but not the answer that was the most honest. When he finally did speak, she glanced at him momentarily when he spoke, apologizing. She made quiet note of his concern, and managed a strained smile, a slight shake of her head, "Please, don't apologize . . . You . . . as you said, you had no idea." Her strained smile twisted into something bitter momentarily - a feature that did not look natural on the softness of her face, "I've lived with these methods all my life. It was a way of life." Some of her bitterness dropped at that sound of the past tense. She had left it, unable to bare it any longer, "But . . thank you . . ." She wasn't sure why the thanks was sonecessary for her to express. For his understanding in how hard it was to talk about. For the pain felt by those who had to leave someone behind. For the sympathy he was showing, the respect to those gone and those lost. Perhaps for all of it.

She forced another smile, struggling a touch for a more cheerful counterance - even if it was faintly strained one. "So, are you a healer then?" She asked in an effort to switch the topic - from loss to life, or rather to what his lie must be like, to who he was.

Thoughts
Speech

Now I'm full of energy