Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - Never smile at a crocodile

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Pan

Pan

Pan had a sneaking suspicion he wasn’t welcome in the harsh desert.  Long ago when he’d come to Novus, he’d been accepted into Solterra... but it had only been when he’d paid homage to Solis. That was before he knew the lore, and that the sun god wasn’t his to follow. All of that had changed now though.  Maxence was gone, Inkheart was gone, and Pan had forgotten all that came before.  He looks on the land with fresh eyes, ignoring the tingling sensation along his spine which suggested he’d seen this place before. It must have just been a dream, like all the other strange and fantastic dreams he'd had.  All his memories were that now, just dreams.

He hesitates on the borderlands only for a moment before stepping toward the canyon.  After all, Pan was on a mission.  When he’d found his treasure cave along Rapax River, he’d found the stash of things that were once his.  Long hidden, they’d collected dust in the back of the rocky structure, and as he rummaged through them, he discovered his treasures all over again.  Of particular note was an old book.  Pan could not tell you where it came from, only that he’d poured over it long into the night, when the moon rose high to light the pages with silver stardust.  It was a book about herbs – specifically, about the herbs of Novus.  Through its words, he learned that he was, in fact, in a land called Novus.  It didn’t get into the specifics of each land, but instead focused on the plants which lay within it.  And now, Pan began his scavenger hunt to find and collect each one.

Thus, the boy was here now, looking for the illustrious and fabled Nightdew Agave.

A crudely drawn picture of the plant showed that it was large and spiky, with flowers growing from it.  He quickly looks around, not finding it, but finding instead a creature in the distance.  Blinking against the sunlight, Pan shook his head to ward away the feeling that perhaps he was just imagining the other horse… but as he grew closer, he saw that indeed, it was a dark mare with silver loops and chains adorning her proud stature.  Smiling as he grew nearer, Pan didn’t even bother with caution.  Instead, he marched right up to the mare with a confident Excuse me?  Do you have a minute to help me find this plant?  And he thrust the photo toward her, waiting impatiently to see if she would help.

the vagabond adventurer
character by firefly
html by castlegraphics;
image by franknsteins

@Efphion

Efphion

Psycho

Efphion had no time to simply laze about in the heart of Solterra. It was time for her to branch out and become familiar with the desert that had tried to put an end to her when she had first arrived. She pays no mind to the creatures scuttling around her, instead she draws a deep breath, the arid atmosphere around her dries her throat. Still, the heat of this arid domain brings comfort to the char skinned dame. The heat of the sun washes over her bodice and the chains that hang from her frame. The sound of hooves upon stone pulls her attention from the landscape wavering out in the distance. A pale coated stag with scaley flesh approaches her with a crudely drawn sketch upon parchment. He asks if she has a minute to help him find this plant that surely must reside in this barren wasteland she loved as fiercely as she loved Solis.

Effy studies him for a moment, her gaze somehow both cold in the sense that she is distant, and also as hot as the fury of the Sun. She turns to face the stranger and quietly thinks about his request. She has never seen this creature before, why should she help him? "I have much time on my hands, but what will you do in return for my help? Why should I help someone who does not belong to the domain of Solis?" Effy asks him, and there is a warning in each word she drops before him. Her gaze hones in on him with predatory interest. Will he flee beneath her gaze, her fury? Will he offer a trade for her services? Efphion stares at the crude drawing of the plant, thinking of if she had seen any on her arrival to Solterra. It seemed as though even with the sketch that she recalls seeing it somewhere in the belly of the desert. "More importantly, what makes you think that the desert will forgive you? That plant grows in the belly of the arid expanse that is the beloved desert. It threatens to revoke it's forgiveness for me daily." Effy warns him, again she wants to see what his response will be.

"Speech"

@Pan
Sorry if this isn't great ;__;

Faithful

Pan

Pan

The boy isn’t phased by her standoffish demeanor.  No, Pan had dealt with all types before, and his response is always the same – to disarm them with his charm.  He is a gentle beast, and finds no need to be threatening or provocative.  Instead, the scaled child tends to be a calming presence, disarming even the most guarded of beasts.  Surely, she would see he meant no harm to her, the land, or even the plant.  Ignoring his bristling tone, he thrusts the book toward her once more.  It says this plant has healing powers… that it can be used to heal, or to provide energy if you’re feeling weak.  He walks around the desert mare, looking her over and noting the scars of battle which cross her dusky pelt.  Perhaps a warring nation would appreciate such things… If we find some, I should like to take a bit to make a healing salve… and you could collect some too, for use in your next battle.

He grins to the mare, bowing his head in a sign of respect, sending tendrils of creamy white down across his wide and bright eyes.  I’m Pan, by the way… and I’m a healer.  I’m happy to help this place too, if you need to have a healer you can call for.  I don’t like to see anyone hurting.  It seemed to the boy that in war-states, there were always more fighters than healers.  Perhaps his services could be useful to Solterra.  And speaking of… Who is Solis?  Is he in charge around here?  There is a genuine curiosity in his voice, for the boy is always one for stories, and for learning.  The name was mildly familiar, of course – for once, he had worshiped the sun god on the mountain.  Once, he had known the lore of this place.  But that, like many of his memories, was now lost to time.  Still, the boy knows to be reverent to the gods, and he would most certainly like to pay his respect to the sun god once more, if only he knew the decorum.  

As for the desert… Why wouldn’t the desert forgive me?  I’ve done nothing wrong. and he hadn’t.  The boy was simply a vagrant passing through, and as all the places he’d been, the child has a great appreciation for the beauty of Solterra.  Deep within his satchel are memories he’s collected – sand from the Mors Desert, a vial of crystal water from the lagoon, and now – a cactus thorn from this land.  He sighs, perhaps a bit whimsically, and stares out over the desolate landscape.  It’s beautiful, isn’t it…  For the desert held its own appeal, and even the water colt could appreciate it.

the vagabond adventurer
character by firefly
html by castlegraphics;
image by franknsteins

@Efphion

Efphion

Psycho

Efphion jerked her head in response to him thrusting the book towards her again. He insisted that the plant had healing properties and that he was a healer. He tried to appeal to her nature by stating that it could be used for her next battle. He went so far as to offer his services to her. Effy was reluctant to admit that she was softening in response to him. It seemed he really wanted this weird plant. She refrained from smiling at him, although she wanted to. Effy wasn't about to risk her image for a stranger. "Right. So you're one of those... equines with plant knowledge? Alright. Next time I find myself in a brawl, which is often, I'll be calling for you personally. In fact, if you become my personal healer, I'll help you find whatever weird plant you want from Solterra." Effy proposed to the scaled man.

She couldn't help the laugh that spilled from her charcoal lips when he asked if Solis was in charge. In a way, Solis was. Effy would not admit that she melted at his question. "Solis is the God of the Day Court. He is the Sun. And I am The Wrath of the Sun." Effy warned him, but her tones had softened noticeably. This wasn't like her at all, she was not one to soften, let alone melt for a stranger. His next question was almost as endearing as his question about the identity of Solis. He wondered why the desert would not forgive him. Effy's smile appeared then, but it was dark. It carried a with it a warning. "Deserts are unforgiving. They do not promote life, as the plains do. They do not sustain life the way that seaside ecosystems do. The Desert is a harsh, unyielding place that will consume anyone who cannot adapt to it. It will consume those that do. The desert will kill anyone that does not know what it takes to survive. It will either drain the hydration from your flesh, or it will freeze you when night falls. Those unprepared for such dangers will perish." Her voice carried the weight of danger in it. But she knew how treacherous a desert could be.

What surprised her almost as much about this beast, was his admiration for the desert. Admiration and respect were not mutually exclusive though, and part of her wanted him to succeed. Even if that was for her own gain, there was something unique about him. He quieted the wrath inside, instead of feeding it. "Yes, It is." She agreed with him, and then began to walk into the desert. Effy was going to lead him to the last place she saw this stupid plant. She would never care for them, it wasn't in her nature. "This way."

"Speech"

@Pan
Sorry if this isn't great ;__;

Faithful

Pan

Pan

As Efphion asks if he was an equine with plant knowledge, he nods solemly and carefully tucks his thick book back away in his satchel.  Relaxing some when the mare lets her guard down (though ever so slightly), he offers her a half smile.  I am happy to help, and to heal for you. he repeats.  You just call for Pan, and I’ll come.  Promise.  The boys eyes are earnest as they meet hers, filled with an optimistic sort of promise that only a child can muster.  There is trust within them too, for Pan has no reason to question the mare, drawing her every word in as gospel truth.

When she speaks of Solis, something clicks in his mind.  Solis.  He’d heard the name before.  Long ago, he’d worshiped on the mountain, calling to the sun god with Inkheart and offering him gifts.  I shall say a word of thanks to Solis then, next time I’m on the mountain.  For he knew not to mess with the gods.  Whispering a silent prayer in his mind, he thanked Solis for safe passage in this land, and for helping them to find the plants.  Only then does he turn back toward Effy’s voice and warning.

I’ll be careful, in the desert, I mean… and don’t worry, I brought plenty of snacks in case there isn’t a lot to eat around here.  As if illustrating the point, he draws forth a half of an apple, offering it to the mare as he falls into an easy pace beside her.  Onward they march, into the desert kingdom as she leads him toward the mythical Nightdew Agave.

They continued for what seemed like hours (though truly, their journey was far shorter… Pan was simply eager to get there and the time seemed to crawl past), before stumbling upon the plant deep in the canyon.  It was magnificent.  As the sun began to set on the canyon, large vibrant blooms opened to the night.  They seemed to almost glow with hues of lively orange and pink, and for a moment, Pan can only stand in awe of such a specimen.  The stalk of the Agave reached toward the heavens, taller even than he, and at its base was a wide swath of barbed leaves.  Stepping closer, he walked around the plant a few times to survey it, not wanting to take more than he needed from its bounty.  Only once he’d fully inspected the agave does he turn back to his companion with an excited rush to his words.

Isn’t it a beauty?  Wow…  For a moment, Pan is lost for words.  The flowers are the true value for a healer, but the spiky leaves can be helpful too.  Do you have a knife or something?  I don’t want to take much, but perhaps we can cut a few pieces loose and save them for healing.

the vagabond adventurer
character by firefly
html by castlegraphics;
image by franknsteins

@Efphion