Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - The Dawning of Solterra [SOVEREIGN AUDITIONS]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Leviathan [PM] Posts: 46 — Threads: 25
Signos: 205

YOU HAVE UNTIL 11:59PM EST ON 09/27/19 TO POST YOUR APPLICATION!

searching the void

Two Months in the Future:

Solterra’s King is gone.

In the city the castle stands empty as a ruin. Its windows are dark. Across the face of the fortress are painted slurs directed at a violent, hated king. 

Yet all through Solterra whispers are spreading. They speak of the signs that have been appearing. One above the palace door that asks if any are strong enough to stand up and rule. And the other, in Mors Desert, where the sand swells and gathers like the waves of the sea. It swells and falls as though a great monster swims beneath. It tracks every creature that passes and rises before them, behind them, beside them, crowding them in upon every side. It traps them as it rises, great and monstrous. Its maw asks every traveller in a voice of slithering sand, ‘Are you brave enough to swallow the sand, sinking a peasant and rising a Sovereign?' The message is found spattered in blood across the arena of the Colosseum. Every time they clear the message it floods back as if all Solterra’s dead gladiators are pooling their spilled blood into one crimson question,‘The Solterran Seat is empty. Who is brave enough to fill it now?’

The pool in Vitae Oasis is restless. Water laps with sighs upon the banks, it hisses and bubbles and invites all to come and wash the dust from their skin. But harken, that water sounds as if a siren lurks within its depths, ready to drag down any who are foolish enough to step into the water. The Oasis pool watches those who come and gather and asks each one, just who might be brave enough to die a peasant and rise a Sovereign?

In the heart of the Canyon a teryr screams into the sky, day and night, over and over. Its cry forms the same questions, the same words: ‘is it you? Is it you? Is it you?’ You can search the whole of Elatus Canyon and never find the teryr that screams its gurgled cry. Its disembodied voice simply echoes and echoes and echoes off each and every wall.

Every single message is a call for all Solterrans and the whole of Novus. But no message is more striking than that within the heart of Solterra's Palace itself. For those brave enough to step within the black, emptiness of the castle’s keep, they will hear the lick and hiss of flame. Flames that make the throne room's windows glow an ominous flickering red-gold. It is a fire that lures all to where they consume the doorway into the throne room. The throne sits beyond them, vacant and still, illuminated by the flames that roar in open archway. The fire rises like a door, blocking all from entering into the throne room.

Guarding the blazing doorway a lion lies forged of raging sunlight. It’s burning eyes watch for any brave enough to heed the summons of water, sand and stone. It speaks to those who come, it laughs like a god and speaks like sand and water and stone. It is deafening and yet altogether silent. It asks in the mind of its beholder and throughout the whole court, “Solterra will burn the unrighteous. This fire is Solterra. Do you really believe you are called by Solterra? What makes you think that her fires will not burn you? Fools!'

And how those flames cackle and roar like the leonine sun until the throne beyond is obscured by fire and justice and vengeance.

That neither schools nor priests, 

Nor Kings may build again
A people with the heart of beasts

Made wise concerning men
Whereby our dead shall sleep

In honour, unbetrayed,  
And we in faith and honour keep
That peace for which they paid.

~Rudyard Kipling

The very earth of Solterra is calling for a new kind of monarch. Its throne has been tainted but Solterra is rising to reclaim its throne and its name. Stand up and prove yourself before the lion of Justice and walk through the fire if you dare. You will either become ash, or claim and throne and rise a mighty monarch appointed by Solterra herself.

Rules to Apply

Before filling out the form found at the bottom of the page, you must read the rules and guidelines below, as well as everything posted on this page! Please ask us if you have any questions or concerns at all!

• Character Requirements:

• You can audition both existing characters and brand new characters, however both are required to make an IC post responding to this post! This thread has been temporarily opened so that both OOC, pending, and accepted IC accounts may make their replies for the audition.

• Anyone from any Court can apply.

• Your character must be at least three years old.

• You do not have to create a character account unless you are chosen. In the event that you are chosen as Sovereign, you will have 2 weeks to create your character's profile (it should be easy, since all of the information is already required to fill out the audition form).

• You can try out with as many characters as you'd like! However, each needs a fully separate post and application in this thread.

• General rules and requirements regarding Sovereigns:

• Regarding Sovereign vulnerability: Sovereigns will be deemed Vulnerable if you make 10 IC posts or less per month (this means that it will be extremely easy for anyone to win a Challenge against you), and posted absences only make you immune for 2 weeks.

• Sovereign activity requirements: To promote activity within their respective Courts, the Sovereign must setup 1 IC event every other season.

• Once you are selected and your profile approved, your first duty will be to create a Court Rules thread in your respective Court forum. Read this thread for things you can do as Sovereign.

• Regarding this audition:

• All auditions are due by 11:59PM EST on 09/27/19. Novus-standard time is listed in the sidebar.

• You must make an IC post replying to this post AND post the OOC audition form! Both must be included in the same post, with the IC post first and the OOC audition form underneath it.

• Please, only reply to this thread if you are auditioning for Sovereign.

• The IC post can have your own personal coding and art - but that will not affect the outcome.

• All responses to this thread will be considered complete, whether they are actually finished or not. Please do not post Work in Progress auditions!

• Please do not alter the OOC audition form itself. Although we love to see special coding and pretty pictures, we want to be as impartial as possible - and as much as we'd like to say we're fairly objective, special coding and pretty pictures can impress us! We want these to be bare-bones.

• As you're filling out the audition form, pretend you're filling out an actual profile. Make sure you adhere to all Character Rules set out here.

• We'll be judging on writing quality and how well your character fits into Solterran ideals.

If you have read through the rules, understand the requirements, and still want to audition for Sovereign, please make an IC reply to this post and put your completed OOC audition form (below) underneath it!

Code:
<button class="acc_ctrl"><h2>Click here to see this character's OOC audition form!</h2></button><div class="acc_panel">

<div class="tcat"><font style="font-size:20px; font-weight:bold;">About the RPer</font></div><blockquote><blockquote>

<span class="sidebarheaders" style="font-size:12px;">Thanks for auditioning! Let's start with your name.</span>
What is your OOC name?

<span class="sidebarheaders" style="font-size:12px;">Great! How old are you?</span>
How old are you?

<span class="sidebarheaders" style="font-size:12px;">Have you ever held a Position of Power before?</span>
Have you ever had any characters in a leading position, on or off-site? What did you like about it? What did you not like about it?

<span class="sidebarheaders" style="font-size:12px;">Have you read the Sovereign Rules?</span>
Yes/No - if No, please read the rules above and follow the links to the rules regarding Sovereigns and Courts

<span class="sidebarheaders" style="font-size:12px;">What aspect of Novus are you most excited about?</span>
Tell us something that stood out to you when you read the Guidebook, or something about the site in general.

</blockquote></blockquote>

<div class="tcat"><font style="font-size:20px; font-weight:bold;">Sovereign Questions</font></div><blockquote><blockquote>

<span class="sidebarheaders" style="font-size:12px;">Why would your character be a good candidate to lead Solterra?</span>
Tell us why your character would be a good choice to be Sovereign of this Court. Match up their ideals and values with Solterra and Solis. 

<span class="sidebarheaders" style="font-size:12px;">What would be their goals as Sovereign? What would they do with their new power?</span>
What are your plans for the Court? Do you have a vision for Solterra? What rules would your character set? Would they hold any events to garnish activity? If so, what?

<span class="sidebarheaders" style="font-size:12px;">You've got us convinced. Is there anything else you'd like to add?</span>
Here's your chance to add anything else at all!

</blockquote></blockquote></div>

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Baphomet

Queen of Seduction
Baphomet slid into the castle, staring at the massive golden lion that seemed to be calling to those within the realm. She had missed the chance to meet with the former sovereign, though his deeds were tails that seemed whispered by the winds. Raum... He was unworthy to hold power. The striking chimera mare tossed her head and smiled at the feeling of her golden crown settling back into place. The golden tooth ran down the center of her face in an almost painful scrape and made her shudder. Golden bangles on her forelegs clinked and glowed in the light of the flames.

"I may be new to the realm, but I desire to make our home better and erase the stains of Raum. Let Solis and the realm herself judge me for either good, or ill. I desire to take your challenge. She murmured to the lion, Baphomet's voice soft and reverent as she spoke of her chosen god. Deep within her, a love for him that almost bordered upon lust roiled and begged to be freed. Taking a deep breath, she turned to the flames.

A tremor of fear spiked in her stomach as she gazed at the flames. Baphomet loved the seductive heat, but the idea of stepping into the fire was one that made her pause. On one hand, she risked ruining her beautiful pelt and even her golden jewelry that she was so fond of. On the other... Well, death could ruin her as well. Taking a few cleansing breaths, she stepped closer to the seductive heat and closed her golden eyes.

"Solis. Hear my plea. If I am the one you feel best suited to the throne, let me move through the flames without harm. Let me prove my loyalty to you. Please, dont let me die... Her words were for the god himself, nearly inaudible over the crackling hisses of the flames before her. Taking a few moments to listen for a response, she opened her eyes and stared at the dancing oranges and yellows before her. A few swallows cleared the lump in her throat as she tried to make her hooves work to step forward. Once the fit of nerves passed, she began her trek to the flames and hopefully through...

"Speaking."

@ - Notes:
credits

About the RPer

Thanks for auditioning! Let's start with your name.
Chaosy

Great! How old are you?
29 (until the end of November lol)

Have you ever held a Position of Power before?
off site yes. I loved the challenge of it and it gave me so much drive to post and be active.

Have you read the Sovereign Rules?
yes

What aspect of Novus are you most excited about?
I am excited mostly about the community and the people here, but the fun swp stuff and keeping the site very hands on rather than characters just rping threads randomly.

Sovereign Questions

Why would your character be a good candidate to lead Solterra?
Baphomet is strong and proud, both of where she belongs and her own strengths. She has a tendency to study battle tactics and try to figure out the best way to win any possible battle that is thrown her way. While she is admittedly power-hungry, she also has a moral compass that is just and honest. She wants to better her realm and those in it in any way that she can. She might not be the most playful, but she does have kindness buried within if you are able to win her trust and she will use that hidden kindness to rule the realm as well as she possibly can.

What would be their goals as Sovereign? What would they do with their new power?
Her first goal would be to try to make connections with the other courts, for good or ill. She wants to know where Solterra stands with the rest and what she can do to make their political standing stronger. Baph will hold meetings where the members of her court can bring forth issues that need the sovereign's attention and will make note and plan what to do about them as it fits the realm and helps it. This is not to say that she will be overly kind and allow everything, nor overly cruel and dismiss them all. They will be looked at on a case by case basis and decided upon from there. While she is the sovereign, she will listen to council and try to make decisions that help the entire realm. She is not always bad. She is a vain creature at heart, so the largest way to try to connect with her subjects would be balls and the like. Times when those that wish to can come to the court and mingle while dressing their best and feeling good about how they appear.

You've got us convinced. Is there anything else you'd like to add?
I would love the chance to push Baphomet to become more than the power hungry seductress that she is and try to do something good for the realm.

Orestes

About the RPer

Syndicate

Great! How old are you?

Yes! Years and years ago. I like that it gives you a bit more ability to affect the momentum of the site, and share ideas!

Yes!

I really love the intricacy of Novus’ lore, but how it still allows characters to interpret it how they would like, and also allows a ton of creative freedom.

Sovereign Questions

Orestes is prideful, stubborn, and extremely passionate about the wellbeing of his people. It’s his vocation: the sacrifice of himself for others, or those he intends to lead. He has an intense passion for the history and memories of peoples as a whole, and is both extremely empathetic and vengeful. He does not believe in coincidence, and although he has come from another land and another god he sees his arrival at Novus as a sign that he is meant to be here, especially considering the loss of his old people and magic. 

I intend for Orestes to develop solar magic, which will be a “blessing” from Solis and a replacement of his old magic from his old world. It will be very directly tied with ideas of the sun and Solis himself. By “solar magic” I mean general ability to use and manipulate the energy of the sun; in early stages, it completely requires the presence of the sun and is mostly responsible for increasing his energy, making him extremely hot to the touch. In the future, it will result in the ability to become blindly bright, have control over miniature “solar flares” and wind/heat manipulation. This in general will be important for Orestes’ character development in him viewing himself as attached to his old world versus this new world. 

He is extremely humble, insightful, and wants the best for those he cares for. But he is strongly based on nature: both beautiful and terrible, both nurturing and vicious. Through his development, he will shift from representing the sometimes bipolar and unpredictable ideals of the “mother sea” to the virtues of Solis and the sun, being very prideful and unforgiving like the desert. 

I think he would be excellent in representing a shift in Solterra from old Solterra and the tragedy they have recently suffered, into a new more unified

What would be their goals as Sovereign? What would they do with their new power?
What are your plans for the Court? Do you have a vision for Solterra? What rules would your character set? Would they hold any events to garnish activity? If so, what?

The vision I have for Solterra is returning it to “older values”, in that Orestes will try very, very hard to repair the damage of the last 100+ years of slavery and tyranny. He is an outsider looking in with fresh eyes, having recently experienced an entire genocide of people. He feels very strongly about the equality of those who follow the same beliefs, or religion, and that they should all be united under their belief in their deity. Because of this, he would push for a greater inclusion of the remnants of the “surviving tribes” outside of the capitol, to include the Davke and the remnants of other tribes. I personally would love to develop the lore surrounding potential survivors in the desert, as well as lore surrounding what has happened with the families since Zolin’s demise and the reign of Seraphina. 

I honestly picture some pretty drastic changes: a levelling of all of Solterra’s wealth, so that those who descend from slaveholders and those who descend from slaves are not so unevenly split, something that may initially make him rather unpopular. To garner IC activity, I would love to do some OOC events where members contribute ideas to the introduction of new sub-cultures in Solterra and “ethnicities” of equines that descend from various tribes.

Other potential ideas: 

It could be very neat to have some large-scale natural event (like a drought) that affects Solterra enough they have to expand outward for more resources, so potentially a plot involving land-grabbing of some kind? Like their land literally cannot support their numbers, and in order to feed their people they either need to A. Start a war or B. Start a more interactive trading network with the other Courts, or something along those lines. I’d love to open up diplomatic interactions between characters, and set up some sort of basis for multi-court interaction! 

Another IC event on a smaller scale would be some series of rely races/challenges where members can enter OOC and have their characters randomly chosen to be a “team” that has to overcome some kind of obstacle to accomplish a task, to force Solterrans of all different backgrounds and castes to work together.

I would very much like Solterra to become a very diverse court that has overcome their differences, united a bit by their suffering under Raum, to move strongly into the future. Orestes is a leader that is fluid and adaptable; extremely empathetic/passionate/kindhearted and also very, very brutal. The rules of Solterra would stay very much the same, although one drastic change I can see happening is that Orestes would very much encourage the court to remain “Solterran” and basically close themselves off from outsiders aside from political interactions. More than ever, it will become “the strongest survive” sort of vibe, but with the idea that Solterrans are collectively the strongest. “The strength of the wolf is the pack and the strength of the pack of is the wolf” kind of ideology. Ultimately, the rules would stay very much the same, with perhaps stricter punishment of traitors or those suspected of being disloyal to Solterra. 

I have a lot of other ideas, just that are a lot vaguer! Additionally, let me know if anything in the application isn't okay in that... I got a little too creative xD

I HAVE TRANSFORMED FROM THE SEA TO A STAR

SIX MONTHS AGO 

He awakes on the Solterran coast and does not know where he is. 

He does not know when the sea, the one true love of his life, decided she is done with him. He remembers very little. Only darkness like the womb, and tumbling, tumbling, tumbling. He does not know how long she has kept him swallowed, tonguing at his body as though he were a sore. It must have been eons. 

He only knows that when he emerges, his lungs burn. 

He only knows that when he attempts to run back into the waves and dive beneath the surface, taking a lungful of water would have killed him. His gills are gone. After another attempt, he comes to realise that so is his transience: he cannot change shape. The water will not take him. He strains his ears, listening, listening: and she does not speak to him. There is nothing but the crash of the waves and once, once, that had meant everything. He reemerges coughing and sputtering. The salt burns him for the first time in his life.

Orestes’ heart breaks.

He stares out at the ocean for many days, it seems. In reality, he stares for only a summable number of hours. Orestes waits from dawn to dusk, as the sun begins to shutter on the horizon, the reflection wavering far out where the water begins to curve on the distant edge of the world. How far he wonders. How far have I gone? He waits for his magic to stir; for the sea to speak to him in all her sweet viciousness. He waits for the weight of his body to become less, less, less, until he can transform

It is not quite darkness when they find him.

There are only two. They brandish sharp weapons and sharper teeth. They speak a language he does not understand, and looks like a shape he could once become; something draconic, with arching wings and razor-lined tails. He will later hear them name themselves kirins. He snarls and clicks his teeth at them; but where once he would have brandished fangs, he discovers the blunted incisors of an equine. They laugh at his bravado, and Orestes’ soul cries it is not bravado, but it is, it is, because the Prince of a Thousand Tides cannot change shape. They skirmish. The two gaunt desert horses force him to submit, and loop ropes about his neck. They drag him unceremoniously behind them and Orestes goes, because there is no choice.

Behind him, the sea goes: shush, shush, shush and he feels the salt water drip from his eyes. 

— — 

Orestes comes to learn the two horses are remnants of an ancient tribe called the Are’htai. It is difficult for him to understand them at first, or what any of that means, but he gradually learns there were once many such tribes in Solterra—and that is the name of the place he now inhabits, Solterra. They whisper to him that the land is in anguish and their god has awoken them from a deep slumber to rectify the wrongs. They say there are many gods in the land called Novus, but only one true god, and that is the Sun. At first, Orestes argues. There is the Mother Sea, and they do not understand. There is no god of the sea they tell him, in their strange, sharp language. There is only the Solar Gods and among them, only Solis. 

The longer the sea stays silent, the more Orestes is inclined to believe them in this desert-land. He does not hear from the mother sea and try as he may, he cannot change shape. He feels fatigue he has never known before, and the tiredness of a body too heavy for him, a body without the softness of water. They force him to eat, and drink, and still he cannot change shape. 

The two desert horses cannot change shape either, but they do not treat him with the same disdain as the old horses of Oresziah. Their names are Rah and Tut. He comes to understand they are outcasts, not unlike himself, and that an older emperor decimated their herds. Zolin Tut admits, with disdain, and spits upon the earth. But Orestes does not see the kingdom of which they speak; there is only desert, endless and fathomless. Orestes has no word for “desert” in his language, and they laugh at him as he fumbles to understand the heat and the sand. They detail a fragmented story of emperors and gods and sand, sand, sand. Everything is sand. And Orestes listens by firelight and moonlight and sunlight. The blubber that once kept the cold of the sea from penetrating the warmth of his core becomes sweat, sweat, sweat. 

He measures the days in the growing gauntness of his body. He has never thought himself capable of this complete transformation, from the sea to land, but as the days pass there is less and less magic in his veins. He feels it wearing him. 

One day he watches Rah conjure water from the air. Orestes does not understand. It is magic—almost the same magic of his old land… and he asks about the magic and Rah tells him he was blessed by Solis. It has made life possible for them in the desert, so far from the oasis the Solterran’s claim. As their understanding of one another grows, Tut confesses he has the power to put himself and others to sleep for very long periods of time, where they will suffer neither harm nor hunger. It is how he and his brother have survived for so long. 

And Orestes asks how old they are, 

And the two brothers answer: eons. 

“We can take you to be blessed,” Tut says. “Or rather, we will try.” 

And Orestes does not understand, but he goes, because he cannot change shape and his heart aches for the mother sea, who has abandoned him. On their journey they tell Orestes stories of Solis, and their lives in this strange land, and it simultaneously reminds Orestes of his old life and also becomes something he never could have imagined. 

They eventually lead him to a deep desert canyon and they search deeper and deeper inside of it. When storm clouds gather overhead, Orestes fears a flood; but Rah dismisses the notion jovially. He says: the rain will evaporate before it hits the ground. They lead Orestes to a shrine; an ancient, uncertain shrine. There are suns carved and painted into the stone, and there is the head of some great beasts that the twins say breathes fire when alive. There are quartz crystals and scenic runes on the walls of the deep canyon, and they say, “It is here. It is here. Now, pray to Solis.” 

And Orestes cannot fathom praying to another god. But he does. Because his life—and many lives before it—have always been one long string of religion. He is a priest in the most basic sense; a keeper of memories; and separated from the sea, from his magic, he feels that old identity fade every day.

So he prays. 

He prays that it is returned to him.

And Solis answers. 

THREE MONTHS AGO 

There are many remnants of older times in the desert. In their travels they discover a half-buried library. They cannot enter the building easily, and instead stare forlornly from outside.

It is there they meet the Takun. She is the last remnant of an even older tribe.  A desert owl sits astride her shoulders and gawks at them, unceremoniously. She is young. She says, “I am the keeper of this library, I am the Takun.” 

“What do you mean?” They ask.

And she admits: “I am the last of them.” 

There are many others like her, in the desert. Half-dead tribesmen who survived Zolin’s annihilation program. There are others, like Rah and Tut, who have slept for many eons. She shows them the library, inscribed with symbols of the sun. They stay for many days, and she shows them books and scripts and scrolls, and Orestes wonders: 

“Do you have any on the sea god?” 

But the Takun shakes her head. There is no sea god, she tells him. And Orestes begins to forget, as he opens scroll after scroll in languages he does not know how to read. Rah and Tut help him. And they read him stories of a great many people; there are diaries of the Solar Courts, of Day and Dawn and Dusk and Night at their inceptions with dynasties long past. There are forgotten wars and chance encounters with gods, and the name comes to him again and again: SOLIS.

“How can you believe in this god?” Orestes asks them. And they are taken back; they are furious.

But they recover from their rage. “He is the most present of all the Solar deities.” 

“How can that be? He simply watches. He haunts you overhead and punishes you in this desert, in this—“ And Orestes almost says hell, but doesn’t.

“We do not ask for empathy or compassion, Orestes. We ask for light. To see righteously and to never stray into the darkness.”

“But what about this emperor? What about Zolin, and this new one you have mentioned, Raum?”

And the Takun, young and fragile and wise, says: “Is the sun not responsible for casting the deepest of shadows?” 

They leave. When they leave, there is a horrendous windstorm. Rah and Tut find shelter in what was once some sort of caravan wagon. The next day they backtrack toward the library, but it is gone, and they cannot seem to discern whether or not their encounter had been some heat dream. 

TWO MONTHS AGO 

Rah returns from the city. He says: the people have forgotten his tribesmen. They have forgotten the looks of kirins, and they looked at him with the gaunt, haunted eyes of those who had survived a tragedy. They told the story of a madman and a basilisk, a queen who changed the desert into a forest and an ex-queen as silver as starlight. They whisper of a black stallion with his wings removed, dripping crimson blood now white marble and laughing manically. They mention men and women frozen in the form of stone; orphans; prisoners. They do not go into the city. Orestes does not tell them, I have seen souls Bound. He does not tell them of chains or gold or iron, only that: this sounds like a tragedy.

They return to the desert. They continue to tell him of the Old People, and Tut also tells him of Queen Sol and the monarchy. There is so much suffering. Orestes’ hearts break with it, and through it he remembers his own people: he was too late to save them from suffering.

The voices begin to follow him. 

Are you brave enough to swallow the sand, sinking a peasant and rising a Sovereign?’

No. He is not a creature of the sand. He is of the sea, the sea, the sea—

and now, whispers his new magic, the sun

The Solterran Seat is empty. Who is brave enough to fill it now?’

He is not a lion. 

who might be brave enough to die a peasant and rise a Sovereign?

He has already died once. 

‘is it you? Is it you? Is it you?’

No. 

NOW 

But why are his legs moving? Why do Rah and Tut not follow him? He enters the city and it is the first city he has been in since Oresziah. It is nothing like Oresziah. 

It is blinding and brilliant and gold, gold, gold. Why does it not burn me? he wonders in the searing heat. He walks down the center of the streets leading toward the main keep and it is empty. His walk, long and silent and lonely, is cruelly reminiscent of his walk down the stone streets of Oresziah—were both not a type of sentencing, a type of condemnation? He lifts his face toward the sky and closes his eyes against the brightness, feeling the warmth. The city is a carcass, rotted in the sun. Faces fill the window; sharp, gleaming eyes follow him in his echoing passage. His hooves go click, click, click and he thinks, for some reason he does not understand, 

shush, shush, shush.

The castle is black when he reaches it. He steps inside to the gaping maw and is reminded of the darkest depths of the sea. His eyes adjust and he feels the stifling heat of the flames. There is a crackling like laughter; a crackling like consumption. He moves toward it; it does not take him long to discover the throne room.

He stares into the flames and he sees a thousand lives: 

He sees the depths of the ocean just barely penetrated by light, with the shapeless forms of his brethren, dancing in the stabbing, brilliant rays. He sees the shifting, transient, raging beds of kelp. He thinks of the burning oil the soldiers of Oresziah spilled in his beautiful sea. He thinks of emerging through them, gasping for breath through the smoke, wishing he were another shape, another shape. He thinks of his oldest memory, the memory of his people, as they met Oresziah’s first men over the stone bed of a fire. “We will teach you to love our island,” and the flames laughed then, too.

This fire is different.

We ask for light. To see righteously and to never stray into the darkness. 

Already, the memories of his people are faint and fading. His lack of magic makes them a dream. He had always been their keeper. The firelight licks his skin, turns him gold, gold, gold, and he thinks: I was the last Prince of my people. He failed them. He allowed them to become smoke and memory. 

The voice of the fire is challenging him, raging at him. 

He is not worthy; he has failed so many times in his short, long life. 

He is not worthy. But there is a nagging insistence he stay, a need that fills him greater than any lust or hunger he has ever known. You must try and it is a chorus of a thousand voices, the voices of his people. You can help them, don’t you see? With everything you have ever been. You were always meant to be a king— 

“Solterra will burn the unrighteous. This fire is Solterra. Do you really believe you are called by Solterra? What makes you think that her fires will not burn you? Fools!'

Orestes bows his head; and then all the way to his knees. He lays a supple cheek upon the stone before the flames, and the heat burns the soft flesh of his nose. He closes his eyes and sees the sun above the sea and he thinks of how all the places his mother could have brought him, she had chosen this place, beneath this sun, before this god. For a reason. Always for a reason. 

“They will burn me.” he says, and his voice is a prayer. “They will burn me and that is my duty to bear, for her people, and mine. For the people who have suffered the insufferable. It is only by burning that the world is purged; it is only by burning that there is chance for regrowth, for life.” He stays bowed for many long moments. 

After a small eternity, Orestes rises. His legs tremble and his knees ache from bearing his weight. He stands for a moment longer, staring toward the throne room, and he thinks of the story of Atlas: the curse of bearing the world upon his shoulders. Has that not always been my duty? For all people? Do I not bear that suffering better than any? He thinks of the golden chains. He thinks of Boudika for the first time since he arrived to Novus; and it hits him brutally, like a blow.

It is in your nature, he had always told her. 

Now, he hears the words. And he repeats them. “It is in my nature to burn, to sacrifice.” 

Orestes steps toward the flames. 

Nikkayla @ deviant art.com

Ramses

HE'D HEARD IT,
the whispers upon that arid breeze, the fall of the tyrant Raum. The very heart of Solterra was missing and he’d recognized it immediately for the desert reacted quickly to the absence. The sand under his hooves swelled and shook, the earth felt it and trembled in response. The coyote heard it, over and over, a challenge, a request and an order. Solterra needed a sovereign and she demanded vengeance for the last imposter who’d sat on her throne. The call was everywhere and something deep in his chest roared, he couldn’t ignore it.

Ramses had always been intrigued by the lives of politicians, with their carefully worded lies and polished expressions. They let nothing penetrate their facade but their lives behind closed doors remained completely up to them and the riches they held. The man smirked at the seductive thoughts and for once, he needed to act.

The Davke had been hidden long enough, they’d been murdered and wronged, it was time for the world to know they hadn’t been driven to extinction. They’d been nothing but rumors whispered across the sands, their presence unknown to the rest of Solterra and he couldn’t help the anger that clawed up his throat. He was aware of what Zolin had done to their people, to Avdotya, the avenger of their tribe. Ramses had never earned his spear but he’d been immersed in the Davke’s culture since his birth. His ancestors had lived in the Mors, his blood ran thick with their history and he was expected to uphold that legacy. Despite that, the boy wasn’t entirely fit for the savage band. The red coated child had always wanted more, he’d wanted to learn and grow and be something different. However, he hadn’t lost the primal nature he’d inherited from that wild group who called the Mors their home. It was time… he needed to go, he felt as though he could provide something that had been ignored for years, balance. Solterra had been victim to brutality for far too long, it was time for the people to understand the ruthlessness and beauty that could be found in the desert. They needed to once again understand what it meant to be children of Solis.

~

These thoughts bounced around inside the stallion’s head as he approached the capitol, the taste of salt upon his tongue as the sun reflected off the distant sea. He hadn’t seen the capitol in years and he was unimpressed with Raum’s alterations. Ramses couldn’t help but scoff at the poverty he witnessed as he moved easily down the quiet streets. How could the rest of Solterra allow this? How could a ruler allow his people to suffer so openly? During his youth, they’d all cared for each other and kept one another alive. That was the rule of the desert, without the tribe, you wouldn’t survive. But it was so silent, it seemed that the capitol was a great sleeping beast, it seemed to be waiting for something...

He was still in the street when he felt the heat that radiated from the palace. The man flicked his short tail as his ears pointed eagerly towards the very center of Solterra. He climbed the steps and found himself within the smoldering remains of Solis’s kingdom. The pure disgust that appeared on his face was well warranted as he swilleved his sorrel face left and right, his mottled lips pursed. No wonder Solis had sent the great leonine figure, a god in his own right, to guard the throne shielded by a wall of hungry fire. His crimson eyes landed upon those flames as they licked at the air, a challenge and a request.

The stallion lifted his head, not because he wasn’t afraid but because he respected the immensity of what was before him, he knew better than to cower. Solterra was not a place for weakness, it allowed only the strong to survive. Ramses nodded towards the guardian, his cherry red eyes hooded by thick lashes as an ancient voice echoed in his mind, filled with the wisdom of eons.

“Solterra will burn the unrighteous. This fire is Solterra. Do you really believe you are called by Solterra? What makes you think that her fires will not burn you? Fools!”

“Let her burn me for my unworthiness if that is her wish. I’d rather be ashes on the wind then be unfit,” the coyote whispered with a sly smile, it was only truth that poured from his maw.

The creature within him clawed and screamed, locked behind his ribcage, hidden in a prison of bone. This wasn’t the time to unleash his primitive nature, not yet. Solterra would see it anyways, she’d know what he was and what he hoped to bring to the land of never ending sun.

“For if Solis deems me unfit, let me burn and join him once again for that is the will of my people,” he prayed so silently it was barely a breath in the sweltering warmth of the room.
A wry smile appeared on his lips as he stepped into the fray.

@tag "speaks"
rallidae

About the RPer

Cass (pending username change)

Great! How old are you?

Yes, I have! I really enjoyed being such a central part of the culture and dynamics of the land. I can’t really think of what I didn’t like… except for maybe activity requirements but that is obviously needed.

Yes

Honestly, a large part of what originally brought me to Novus over a year ago were the people. I’d known several of them for years and when I heard of this wonderful new world where we could write safely and enjoy a world filled with lore and culture,  I couldn’t help but jump on it.
I guess that’s all I can say, I just adore the atmosphere, the depth and the wonderful people that make up this community. It really is unique.

Sovereign Questions

I think Ramses is the perfect candidate given that he was one of the Davke. He knows almost all the parts of Solterra inside and out and though he isn’t well versed with politics, I think it would be a good change. He’s authentic and everything that Solterra used to be. I think his nature will be good for Solterra, he is honest and open to learning anything and everything. Given his heritage, I think his ideas could be refreshing for Solterra.

I have visions for Solterra and so does Ramses. He is deeply angered by the murder of the Davke and the poverty he’s seen in the capitol. Ramses will seek to restore Solterra and for awhile, perhaps do something similar to closing its borders and allowing the citizens to recuperate. For some time, Ramses will focus on the people and restore their pride in each other and their nation. He also will rededicate the nation to Solis and all the sun god provides.
Ramses will allow the people to have a voice, having meetings every other season or so to make sure they are being heard.
Ramses will also instill the rule of “help your neighbor” sort of belief. This belief will also stem from the Davke but will be less harsh, each member is meant to watch out for their neighbors and without them, they wouldn’t survive.

One of the events I have in mind stems from Seraphina’s reign which will be the Sun Festival. This festival will celebrate life, new beginnings and fertility, which is a huge factor in Davke culture. For this celebration, I imagine a sun filled courtyard filled with laughing, dancing and heat. In the center of the courtyard I see like a large crystal that will refract the sun’s light? I haven’t hammered those details out but I have so many ideas for this festival.

I have another idea for an event based off the Davke’s beliefs which will be called “The Hunt” I think this event would be super fun! This event will be dedicated to the females in the territory and in this event, they will get to choose their partner. If a male isn’t chosen, it means that no female saw him strong enough or worthy enough to be chosen. Given that the females are the life givers and seen as superior to the males in the Davke, this could be a fun way to bring the tribe’s beliefs to light. The night they spend with their partner will be just outside the city, in the desert and it doesn’t necessarily mean anything more than talking, dancing or drinking. However, there will be a lit path that the pairs are meant to follow into the desert, a representation of following Solis’s light. At the end of the path, a very beautiful and full feast will be given to the participants to enjoy.

Eventually, Ramses will branch out and open trade with other nations. However, he will first build a strong standing army and reinstate the colosseum so the aggression of the citizens of Solterra can be expressed in a positive way. There will be tournaments and celebrity fighters if they can prove their worth. I think this would be super fun, especially if there were large awards for the champions.

I have so many more ideas, these are just a few!

Honestly, I am so excited to be active again! I am no longer going to school and only work twice a week so I should have more than enough time to be active! I am so excited to be given this opportunity.

Aghavni

On Aghavni's back sits a golden monkey, and gripped in the monkey’s tiny fist is a blood soaked bandage. The blood is not hers, nor is it the monkey’s.

“Give it an hour, and it’ll all come back again,” she says ruefully, to the fist shaking lemur. It turns to her, hangs its head in sullen disparagement, and turns back to the sand. The bandage becomes a red comet in the dawning sky as it streaks to the edge of the sunken arena, joining its brethren in a growing pile of sopped up, bodiless gore.

She plucks out the spikes from her knotted mane and her curls tumble down, blanketing the little lemur in a waterfall of golden gossamer. After mulling it over—swab away at endless blood, or snatch a breath of rest before swabbing away at endless blood?—it decides upon the favorable option and burrows down into her hair.

Isn’t it a bit cruel, Aghavni thinks, stamping her hoof into the smudges of a capital S, for Solis to torment his poor creatures so? The d’Oru despise a mess, and flooding the arena sand with a river of blood in the name of divine providence—The Solterran seat is empty. Who is brave enough to fill it? She tongues the words across her mouth. Who is brave enough? 

The message is received, loud and clear, she wants to yell. And the d'Oru are one lick of blood away from murder.

Aghavni lifts her eyes to the slice of orange sun peeking over the wooden skeleton of the Colosseum. The Solterran seat is empty. Her legs fold under her as she tucks herself into a comforting corner between stone wall and wooden portcullis. She’d often wedge herself into small, shadowy corners when she was younger. Between her bed and wardrobe. Besides Father’s desk and weapons closet. Beneath the train of upholstery. Corners became places to sort her thoughts like stringing pearls on a necklace, comfort gleaned from redundancy, whenever things became too much. 

She’d grown away from the habit. Without her noticing, too much had become unexceptional, not enough a worshipped mantra.

“Still awake?” The d’Oru twitches its soft cotton tail over her shoulder. Thoughts dance beneath her closed eyelids. “Mind if I borrow your ear?” she asks politely. A blast of bone-freezing wind tosses her hair about her eyes, as if in protest. Shivering, Aghavni curls further into the corner and presses her limbs into herself like a babe in its woolen swaddle. 

“I'm brave enough,” she says, with the carefully cultivated, carefully careless singsong of a girl born with a golden spoon down her throat, and painfully aware of it. “But it's not about bravery. I don't think it's about that at all.” The d'Oru cracks open one rimmed eye. What is bravery, but simply the will to do something another won't—can't—shouldn't? A wistfulness enters Aghavni's voice, and her eyes trace the patterns of invisible constellations in the brightening sky.

“Cultivate bravery like a rose on a vine. Fertilize it with arrogance, prune it with upright—or upside down—zeal. Snip the bloom at its prime, and crush it into perfume to dot along the neckline. Now, this perfume,” she pauses, and smiles strangely down at the lemur, “is not bottomless, as much as we pretend for it to be.” As much as we wish for it to be.

“Our bravery is our capital, you see, and we are always spending.” Sleep pulls at the corners of her consciousness like a worrying mother. She does not wave it off. Desperately, she clutches at the arms of the worrying mother. Desperately, she tamps down the forbidden wish in her heart for one of her own. Before she drifts asleep, she murmurs against the d'Oru's pillow-soft fur: “I wrote a letter to burn at Solis' altar, like I used to when I was small. Do you think he'll read it?” The comforting silence of the little creature is the only answer she seeks.

---

She brings the folded letter to her nose and inhales the scent of creamy parchment and the tang of acidic ink, before dropping it back into the pouch at her side. 

Quietly, she pads down the hallway leading to the throne room like a ghost from a prior century. Lingers at a crack in the marble wall—that is where Uncle Zolin rammed the hilt of his sword into the wall so hard the whole castle shuddered, because a maid had brought him sugared pears instead of sugared camellias. At the scorched edge of a brocade curtain—where Mother's candle had toppled over and set the curtain afire, before Father had ran out with his wine and doused it

At the floor-to-ceiling painting of the royal family shrouded over with a white sheet. Where Father had not been included, she thought, pushing her muzzle softly against the spot where a pair of dove-grey eyes stared out the face of a black-haired foal, and Mother had threatened to slice the painting in two when they unveiled it.

The magnetic pull of her memories is almost too much for Aghavni to separate from. Almost. 

She turns the corner, biting down hard upon her tongue, and finds herself staring furiously up into the flaming eyes of a lion. “Solterra will burn the unrighteous,” it cackles, snapping its serpentine tail towards her like a whip. Its tip misses her muzzle by the space of a hair.

A wall of flame bursts to crackling life in front of her, and Aghavni chokes back her gasp. But she cannot stop her legs from backing away, and betraying her fear. Fire. Flames lick like starving wolves at her face. Heat crisps her hair, and softens her golden spikes. 

The castle is burning again. Saliva cements in her throat. I scream, and I scream, and no one hears me, and no one comes. The walls begin to melt, like putty. Smoke blinds her eyes, blocks her nose. She cannot bear it! She cannot—

Hissing, Aghavni digs the metal edge of her fan into her flesh. Hard enough to break the skin. Not enough to draw blood. “What makes you think that her fires will not burn you?” the lion roars, fiercer than a thunderclap.

“Because I refuse, beast,” she snarls. Who is brave enough? Brave-enough brave-enough brave-enough! She snatches the letter from her pouch, and brandishes it like a sword at the lion's metallic face. “I refuse to burn before I can give this to him. And I refuse to burn before he grants me audience. If Solterra demands it of me,” her eyes widen, doll-like and fawn-like and not-at-all-brave-like, before narrowing into cutting shards of purest emerald. 

“If Solis demands my death at these flames to please him, then he is a cruel god.” Shuddering, Aghavni tosses the letter into the flames. Watches as it curls and sputters and burns. 

Watches as the first section...
Dearest Solis, God of the Sun and All That Shines:

If it were not for my family, perhaps Solterra would never have turned out this way. Perhaps the people would not have died at Hajakhan hands, and then at Raum's hands, like little straw puppets set aflame. I wonder - do they hate me? Do you hate me? 

I am sorry. It is not worth anything, I know that all too well. However, despite my family's atrocities, I refuse to walk away. They can hate me. I will not blame them if they do. But if they allow it of me, I will show them what this kingdom can become. What we can become...
crumbles into ash, ink into smoke.

Swallowing, Aghavni sets her jaw and takes a step towards the flames. 

Another step. And another. Until blinding amber light burns through her clenched eyelids, and heat reaches its fingers towards her tender neck. Her heartbeat crashes against her ribcage, faster than a sparrow's. 

Her voice is hoarse and trembling and daringly hopeful when she steps into the fire, and whispers: “And I do not believe he is.”

rallidae

About the RPer

rallidae

Great! How old are you?

No, I have not actually! This will be my first time.

Yes

Since Novus is my first RPing experience, I was very overwhelmed at the raw talent of all the members when I first started! But more than that, as I accustomed myself to the site I was blown away by the overwhelming sense of community here. I've enjoyed developing my skills as a writer so much writing my characters and plotting with everyone, without fear of criticism or anything of the sort, and without these years on Novus I don't think my writing skills would be as they are now. It's been such an eyeopening, fun experience writing with everyone and entering the equine RP world!

Sovereign Questions

Due to her birth and her upbringing, Aghavni has always felt a very deep sense of moral responsibility for her court. She feels that her family (namely, Zolin) is at fault for what Solterra has suffered throughout its history, and is haunted by a guilt that she knows is quite irrational, but at the same time can never rid herself of. She's proud of her bloodline regardless, so I can see how some characters would find fault with that, but she won't be mentioning it at all unless prompted.

Because she spent half her life in Caligo's court, she believes that she would bring a new perspective to the throne. Like any Solterran she's stubborn and extremely willful, but she greatly admires the beauty, delicacy, and expressiveness of Denoctian culture and will try to incorporate that into her rule. She'll rule more through diplomacy, without relying on the might/influence of the Solterran military like the leaders of the past. She's averse to violence, though doesn't see it as "bad" - she thinks that Solterra has gotten a reputation over the years as a court of hotblooded warriors, but instead of seeing that as a disadvantage she admires Solterra's emphasis on honor and fighting for what they believe in. As a member of the "old nobility", she sees herself as a bridge between them and the people as well, and will be playing that to her advantage in negotiations and policy making.

I also plan for her to wield plant manipulation magic! Which might seem counterintuitive to a desert court, but her magic will work more like "plant compulsion", a very forceful and willful magic compared to the more passive, empath-like magic of communicating with plants, nurturing them, etc that accompanies most wielders of plant magic. I think this will be a great addition to Aghavni and her rule because she'll stubbornly try and grow things in the desert, and Solterra is in serious need of food and some sort of greenery.

As sovereign, Aghavni's first and foremost goal would be to patch the damaged relations between Solterra and all the other courts, namely Denocte. She recognizes that Solterra's isolation has hurt it badly in the past, and wishes to establish strong alliances with all the courts to secure better trade relations, and also work out a system of "indebting" Solterra (monetarily as well as strategically) to the three other courts to secure a massive amount of food, supplies, etc to aid in the rebuilding of the court and its people. She's also going to be working hard to build a strong regime and court of champions!

Once the rebuilding campaign is more underway, she hopes to establish an academy of strategic thought and military in the heart of Solterra. She wishes to provide free education in defensive techniques, strategy, swordfighting (or just fighting), Solterran culture, etc to anyone who wishes to learn (not just Solterrans) as a way to instill pride into the citizens of Solterra by showing off their merits and intricate traditions, and establish Solterra as the hub of warrior culture (warrior code) that will hopefully change how others see Solterrans as merely "barbaric" and "bloodthirsty." 

Along with this, she's not going to fully crack down on Solterra's black market. This might be controversial, but coming from the Scarab she realizes the value of black markets (especially in tough times) and will be paying personal visits to the "bosses" of them to negotiate. She also really wishes to grow Solterra's market in general, and to encourage the production of artisan goods by arranging festivals where Solterran artists, as well as any foreign ones, can set up booths and show off their wares. 

I wish to host events that branch out of Solterra's rich culture (and expand on that culture too), like a sports tournament, or a challenge of chivalry (in essence like a series of challenging trials laid out by Aghavni, where the winner receives a prize) or an IC, yearly carnival to celebrate a Solterran holiday. Basically: let the Solterran's unwind and party a bit after suffering so much! c':

I'm uber excited for this opportunity as I love Solterra with all my heart, and all I want to see is for it to thrive! It's such a diverse, culturally rich court and I'd love for a chance to be more involved with it. Thank you for your consideration!

Played by Offline Staff [PM] Posts: 309 — Threads: 165
Signos: 989,640
Official Novus Account

auditions are closed!

Thank you to everyone who applied!
Please stand by for judging - a new Sovereign will be picked shortly.

To tag this account: @*'Random Events' without the asterisk.
Please be advised, tagging the Random Event account does not guarantee a response!

Played by Offline Leviathan [PM] Posts: 46 — Threads: 25
Signos: 205

A peasant into a sovereign.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

~J.R.R. Tolkein

~~~*~~~

The lion has lain languidly before the door of fire and watched as they came with fire-lit eyes to gaze in awe upon Solterra herself. With sun-bright eyes he stares unblinkingly into the souls of all who dare to gather, worthless, before him. Some are bold, some dare to try and touch the fire, others cower and crawl away. None leave as they had arrived. All are changed. All will be changed. Solterra will see that they remember how she has been wronged too many times.

But not again.

The flames ripple and claw up the door frame like demons cawing for the Chosen to dare to come. The lion’s ears twitch as he listens to the banshee cry of the fire. 

Eventually, from the stream of awe-struck observers one comes who turns the lion’s head. Its eyes illuminate the horse with a gaze as bright as a torch.  Its mane turns as red as the setting sun, red like blood. His teeth are solar flares ripping apart from the jaws of the sun. It pants, smoke unfurling itself with rightousness and rising in the din as incense. The lion rises as the horse falls to its knees and presses its cheek upon the unremitting cold of the ground. Eons churn in the leonine eyes that watch the horse kneel. Regal and proud is the chin that lifts, mighty and proud. The flames laugh, Solterra laughs, keen and loud and wicked. 

He dares!  They hiss delightedly.

But the lion does not laugh with them. It does not roar or snarl, nor even seem to breathe. Rather it stands and watches and listens as the horse speaks. With his words the horse names himself a lamb: a lamb that lies, meek and pliant at the foot of Solterra’s fire. 

A lamb will lie down with the lion; but it will get no rest.

The beast moves at last, its claws melting their way into the flagstone with great gouges. Its tail twitches as it prowls. Slowly the lion turns its lamp gaze from the prostrate horse. “Rise, Orestes,” it demands with the voice of the sun. Slowly it turns toward the door and steps through the veil of flame. The fire and the sun become one with his passing through and the light from the doorway billows out, bright and huge as a dying star. Solterra roils in answer. Her the waters gurgle as they heat to boiling, the Canyon fills with smoke as thick as a river, the sand of the desert splits into cracks that cover its every inch and within the Colosseum, blood forms into bones that char as black as coal.

Solterra welcomes her king in chaos and hunger.

“Come through the fire and burn.” The lion’s voice ricochets from every corner of Solterra, speaking into the ears of all. “You are Solterra’s sacrifice. She has made you and she will break you. None can take from her any more. Only those who her fire chooses can sit upon her throne now.” The lion waits upon the other side of the flames, he looks back upon Solterra’s chosen as if he waits to see if the fire will burn the man or let him walk through untouched. Then it leads the new king up to his seat. 

“Sit.” The lion demands as it stands to the right of the chair. “Sit and remember that you are ash.”

@Orestes  @syndicate

@Aghavni @rallidae | @Ramses @Cass | @Baphomet @Chaosy Thank you so much, you wonderful people, for auditioning. It has been a privilege and a joy to read through your applications and learn more about your beautiful characters and your ideas for Solterra. We can tell how much time and consideration you each put into your applications. Sadly we could only pick one and it was a hard choice. Thank you for giving your creativity and contributions to Novus as you have. We look forward, so keenly, to see what your chars do now, as each of them bring so much to this game. 

@Orestes, @syndicate Huge Congratulations! We are really excited to see what Orestes does for the Day Court moving forward. You have clearly put so much thought and creativity into his past and his application for sovereign. The shift from a sea born horse into a Day Court leader has been great to read so far and we are excited to see how his story continues along this arc. We are excited to see Solterra now have more stability under Orestes’ lead and how you plan to put into action the ideas you have mentioned in your application. New lore is always welcome and I for one am excited to read through it! Well done!