Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - the devil

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Neptune [PM] Posts: 6 — Threads: 1
Signos: 445
Inactive Character

If i'm your salvation,
welcome to hell

Everything moved so fast in this new place. The dark stallion had yet to take in the landscape as a whole yet he was already swept up into some court as one of their soldiers. Every little bit of him hissed in protest at the idea of lingering longer than needed, cursing him with that sense of restlessness that he hated oh so much. After wandering for so long after leaving Elysium it almost felt as though a part of his identity as a whole was being compromised in the pursuit of a bit of peace. It was if a part of his soul knew it would always belong to those long nights of mischief and debauchery where the only company he had would be the occasional passing soul and the moon above. Of course, he was fine when he stayed with the Heretics but that was a completely different story. It was a story where he was not being controlled. It was a story where terror and chaos thrived. A story he could lose himself in. His heart ached for those times long gone, but that aching was lessened by the beauty of the world before him.

Cold water curled around his pasterns as he stepped towards the water, a deep sigh escaping his lips. The world was still for once with only the faint sounds of birds ringing through the air as the sun painted the sky brilliant colors while is slipped closer and closer to the horizon. A small shuffle of Abrin's front hooves stirred up a murky cloud along the shore, small pebbles rolling and water churning. There was certainly a part of him that wanted to sink into the water, to let the chilling touch of the pond steal him away into another world. He could only imagine the feeling of total submersion as he stood there, lost in thought. It was picturesque as he stood there. Ears tilted forward, a lazy expression dusting his features, the last few rays of sunlight shining on his coat in an oddly charming way. It was the sort of appearance where if you didn't know any better, you might think him to simply be another creature of the world, entirely inconsequential.

It wasn't till a distant sound drew Abrin's attention did he shake himself from his trance. His thoughts so desperately tried to reclaim him, but there was no going back to that peaceful moment. A bird squawked overhead, angry most likely due to some sort of transgression that had gone on away from the stallion's attention. A small, disgruntled huff left his nose, a small frown taking hold. The once peaceful looking creature pried himself from the water, ears out to the side as the bird's call eventually left his earshot. 'so much for a bit of quiet,' he had murmured to himself, his tail giving a small flick of annoyance. His body desperately ached for a bit of rest, but he pushed on alongside the water, determined to see a bit more of this place before he let himself be claimed by the darkness. Sleep was a tempting mistress, but one that could afford to wait a bit longer on him yet.

ooc - first post with this boy on here so i apologize for the rustiness/length <3

Played by Offline Lullivy [PM] Posts: 225 — Threads: 37
Signos: 1,285
Night Court Sovereign
Female [She/her/hers]  |  15 [Year 496 Spring]  |  15.3 hh  |  Hth: 3 — Atk: 3 — Exp: 51  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: Picoro (Sloth)

Luvena

the world crumbled around her, and all she could do was watch. stuck under the roots of a withering tree, she watched all the others fall around her. Every tree in the woods, even the ones that had seemed to touch the stars, falling away, disappearing into the earth.  She peered out from between the roots like a rabbit stuck in its hole. frozen in fear. She watched as one track fell, and then another. Watched the magic disappear from the air, casting the world into darkness. And finally, she watched the firstborns drop. one by one falling into the abyss. 

She woke up in a cold sweat. She had left before all the magic had drained from the air. She didn't stay to see Elysium fall, but that was how she imagined it.  Everything swallowed up. Never to be seen again.  Her heart yearned to go back to it sometimes. But she was here now, she was making Novus her new home. Though some part of her would always belong to Elysium, just as another part always belonged to Herstial. She wondered if she would ever stop giving up pieces of herself.  She arose from her tiny nook along the edge of the lake. She had ventured to Denocte, hoping to find the fairy mare she had met once before. But once she reached the lake she was too tired to go any further. 

Yawning, she slowly raised her head from the ground, watching the lake ripple lightly under the wind. A loon sat on the orange water, preening its feathers. She rose clumsily to her feet, shaking the dirt off her coat, and stretching forward, her joints stiff after spending the day asleep on the shore. It was then she noticed the stallion a little ways ahead and froze.  She was overcome with familiarity as she spotted the jagged white marking on his chest. She was sure she had seen him before, sure she had a name to the face. They had never met properly, that much she knew, but the memory was too strong for him to have been just some other horse she'd seen in her travels. She thought of Elysium. Of important figures.

She didn't want to judge quickly, but he looked like one of heretics. She ran through the list she knew.  Draco, the mare named after a bird... Raven? No. Nightingale. Sloane, that villain. "Abrin" She called the name out loud, hoping her voice would carry far enough. She approached him cautiously, wary of what he could do. She was alone, and the Heretics hadn't exactly had the best reputation. "You're name is Abrin... isn't it?

@Abrin

Table © Camy

Inactive Character

If i'm your salvation,
welcome to hell

In an instant, Abrin's heart had lurched as though he had stepped into a pool of water that was much deeper than he thought. His breath was caught in this throat, eyes widened slightly in shock. He took in the mare before him, the bones that rippled across her skin, the dull turquoise eyes. She certainly didn't appear to be a threat, but simply knowing his name gave the stallion pause."the one and only," he had purred in response to being called by his name. He searched his memories desperately for anyone that might know his name that looked like her. It wasn't until a heartbeat later that his mind had offered up anything and the words immediately hummed from his lips, "Ex queen of the Crucis."

There was a bit of satisfaction gained when he figured out the little puzzle of who was before him. It was even again. Maybe. He sadly didn't take much interest in Crucis when he was in power and even after, he kept a healthy amount of distance. He knew who ruled and whatnot, but the internal politics all tended to bore him out of his mind. While there was a part of him that was certainly curious about how this whole meeting would go, there was a part of him that groaned in protest at the idea of someone knowing him already. Well, not knowing him, but certainly knowing enough that even if he were to be kind and wonderful, it would simply be perceived as some ill-intentioned attempt at manipulation. To be fair, he never claimed such kindness wouldn't be without bad intentions in the first place.

Well, if this was going to be the lens he was viewed from, so be it. To the more perceptible, it almost looked as if the dark stallion was prepping himself for some sort of role in a play before his mannerisms changed. A small sigh had slipped from his lips, his eyes looking incredibly tired. The moment of weakness only lasted a heartbeat before a more mischievous glint caught his eyes and a wolfish grin danced on his lips. He jogged a bit closer up to her side, head lowered with ears tilted forward, making him look a bit like a snake as he took in her mannerisms. He didn't expect her to shy away or even flinch, but there was a part of him that felt as though he ought to go through a checklist of sorts. Would she shift away? Push back? Ignore him? A part of him really hoped she would be fun - not in a toy sort of way, but in a way that would say that she knew his games and she wanted to play. 

@Luvena

Night Court Sovereign
Female [She/her/hers]  |  15 [Year 496 Spring]  |  15.3 hh  |  Hth: 3 — Atk: 3 — Exp: 51  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: Picoro (Sloth)

Luvena

She was nearly surprised by his response. Part of her had thought that she had to be wrong. It was too much of a coincidence to find another ex-monarch here. So far from Elysium, from a time so long ago. It had only been a few years, but it felt like decades, and It felt like yesterday.  What did surprise her was that he knew who she was too. She thought he had disappeared before her time on the throne.  Typical of a Heretic, to lurk in the shadows, unseen and unheard. It would be a lie to say she didn't feel any resentment towards their herd. She was soft by nature, but that didn't mean there was no fire within her heart.  

She dipped her head in response. "you're correct. I was Queen of Crucis once upon a time. I prefer Luvena though" She didn't raise her voice any more than she usually did. It was her usual philosophy. She didn't demand anyone's attention, but she made no effort if they didn't want to listen. From what she knew of the man, he hadn't been outright violent. and from what she gathered now, it seemed his game was manipulation. Good. At least he wasn't about to come and burn down her home. He was probably the Heretic who had least affected her life. 

She raised her head as he approached her, going through the usual routine. squaring her feet, pulling her neck up, forced into a tight uncomfortable arch. Just for him, she pulled her head so it pointed slightly upwards.  looking him in the eye, while he was still in front of her. But, she didn't keep her gaze trained on him as he moved around her. She knew he would notice the tremble in her legs and the fact that her eyes held no light, but she wasn't going to let him think that it made her weak. She supposed it did in some ways. If he chose to try and knock her over he would succeed. But in spirit, she was not a pushover, and she was not going to be made into one.  

Once she was sure he had gotten a good look at her she turned to face him. Meeting his crimson eyes with her dull turquoise gaze.  "Out of all the monarchs in Elysium," she started, letting the words roll cooly off her tongue. Not to be rude, or cruel, but if he wanted to play a game, she would play. "It was not you I expected.  Sloane maybe, or Syrilth. Even Malphas. But not you. I'll admit though. I don't know much about you. I had no dealings with Heretic until Sloane came along and decided it would be fun to take her dragon and treat the trees as tinder for her reign"  She paused for a moment, readjusting her stance. As much as she would love to stand square without moving for this, she was stiff and sore, and she no longer had Vega's blessing to keep her steady.  "I bet you're surprised I've lasted this long. It was no secret to those in Elysium that being a Queen didn't treat me very well. To be honest I'm surprised you're alive too. I assumed that those in Heretic would always die young, by getting themselves into some sort of trouble they couldn't get themselves out of" 

@Abrin

Table © Camy

Inactive Character

If i'm your salvation,
welcome to hell

Luvena, Luvena, Luvena. The name swirled around his mind, its presence digging claws into his consciousness. Abrin's ears remained tilted towards her lips as she talked. Her words carried a neutral tone, but the sound was nice, at least to him. It was soft and sounded as though with a small breeze it could be carried away, but simultaneously gave the stallion the feeling as though if the wind on a peaceful spring day had a voice, it would be her's.

While he enjoyed listening to her words, his eyes couldn't help but find their way to her shaking legs. With a small backwards glance to her face, he knew right away Luvena would prove to be quite interesting. She was trying so had to stand tall, to be unwavering in the face of him, of a creature known to be wicked and cruel, a creature who was most likely to view kindness as something beneath them. He would expect no less from a queen.

There was a part of him that found amusement in the expectation of his death. Her words held a bit of truth - creatures like him don't last long, but yet here he was, like a damn cockroach. "Yet, here I am. Against all odds," Abrin mused. He listened to her continue on with the lilt of her words remaining oddly charming. He hadn't seen any of her experiences as queen first hand, but he had certainly heard rumors for the little bit of time he had remained in Elysium when she was in power. Most were a tad outlandish, but none had ever really spoken too optimistically of her health. "Give yourself more credit. I've heard some interesting things from some less than credible sources, but I feel like it's almost the duty of a queen or king to prove such things wrong." There was a small pause as he thought over his words and during that moment he took a small break from circling Luvena and in a moment of testing her once more, he ever so gently poked her with his nose, his eyes locked on her face the entire time. It was barely a brush right behind her elbow, about where the girth would be placed. Being close was one thing, but being comfortable with even the smallest touch? It was as if the two stood a the edge of a ravine and Abrin had dared to jump. Would she keep her cool? Would she flinch away? She seemed like the type who could be moved with the slightest shove, but that wasn't the stallion's intent. He wanted to see where her line was. Where the boundary that he could never cross would be. Maybe it was a bit childish, but knowing boundaries gave Abrin so much more insight on those around him.

Not waiting for a response, Abrin let words slip from his dark lips, "Those that followed Heretic often do meet death earlier than most, but it seems that either I'm clever enough to outsmart fate or the gods have something truely cruel planned for me yet." There was a moment of hesitation as if Abrin almost didn't want to ask the nest question, but found the question escaping him anyways. His words were a bit teasing, in a hissing, pressuring tone, "Tell me Luvena, knowing who I am and what sort of creatures I led, do you wish I had died along with Elysium?"

@Luvena

Night Court Sovereign

Luvena

he crawled around her, almost the same way a python would circle before its prey. Threatening, teasing. The few moments it played before it tightened it's grip. That was the impression he gave her now. A predator, merely trying to enchant it's prey. She respected it, in an odd sort of way. He knew how to manipulate, and it had clearly served him as a valuable skill. She wasn't as well trained in that skill. But she knew diplomacy, and how to match someone's words. She had done it all her life after all. 

The loon she had seen on the lake earlier let out its mournful call, and she had to resist flicking an ear back to listen to the echo. Her full attention was on Abrin. "Yet here we are" she echoed. She knew some of the rumors at least. Her poor health had never been a secret, it wasn't exactly easy to hide. Oberon had confronted her about it once, at the edge of the woods, concerned that she was pushing herself to hard. She had brushed him off.  Curiosity had the better of her though. "Oh?" she questioned "I give myself plenty of credit, I did what I was told for years I would never do. Unfortunately, most others do not think to give me the same. Please, do share what your... " she paused, her words were almost playful now "sources, have told you"

It was as she finished that last word that she felt his nose brush her shoulder. She didn't flinch, but she didn't stay still either. Instead, she leaned ever so slightly into it, sideways and back, just enough that the sharp bones of her shoulder would meet his nose. Part of it was that she wanted to surprise him, to resist. Another part of her - though she would never admit it, to him, or herself- was glad to feel the touch of another. Regardless of who it was. She had left Elysium without Picoro and without her friends. She had spent the years between then and now by herself. It had been her and her pain, and her thoughts, all on their own.

"perhaps both" she replied. Though she was immediately taken aback by his next question, and she was halted for just a brief moment. "No." she retorted, almost sharply. "There is only one I hope died with Elysium, and of that, I am not proud. Sloane committed many crimes, but I don't wish her dead. I gave Draco a sentence for imprisonment during my time as Gothams judge, but I do not wish him dead.  the wolf queen... Did you know her? I hope she fell with Elysium."  She had let down her guard slightly, let bitterness creep into her voice. She had never told anyone about her pure hatred of the mare. 

@Abrin

Table © Camy

Inactive Character

If i'm your salvation,
welcome to hell

Well, Abrin wasn't expecting that. It was a good sort of unexpected - the kind that made his heart leap in surprise. He was expecting pretty much anything whether it be a snort, sharp words warning him away, a kick, or even for him to be quickly ignored. Leaning into his touch apparently didn't make it into the category of 'pretty much anything'. It was an odd feeling with her bones pressing into his nose, a bit uncomfortable but nothing too unpleasant. It was exactly what he should have expected from a queen. A warning that she had her own ground and she was not afraid to hold it. That was the line. It didn't need to be a line that was explosive or required extreme reaction, but one that simply whispered that anything more would be met with consequences and that was something Abrin could appreciate.

There was a part of his heart that seemed to ache a little at her words of not wishing him dead. It was almost laughable, really. Perhaps it was due to a more forgiving nature or simply ignorance, but Abrin was sure that many would not take the same side as Luvena. Once again, she had proved herself to be absolutely fascinating."The name certainly sounds familiar, but not one that I can necessarily put a face to". There was a small moment of hesitation before Abrin continued on with his words. He knew he tread a dangerous path and he would be a fool to not act like it. "I'd almost be tempted to inquire about what transgressions they have made against someone such as you, but I certainly don't wish to bring your wrath upon me". He had cut himself off with a small chuckle. It was evident that this mare was careful to place her hatred and he dare not ruin this fun little game by inquiring on the cruelties of another. Abrin has taken another moment as he moved, finally breaking from the close space around the mare and wandering back towards the water but not without casting another glance over her frame. Call it silly, but there was a part of Abrin's mind that murmured that maybe she had been truly beautiful once, but that line of thinking was quickly covered up with a thought that hummed, 'a statement such as that acts like she isn't beautiful now'. Both thoughts were quickly stamped out with a small shake of the stallion's tail.

With almost a bit of a teasing smile tugging at the corner of his lips, he glanced back at her,  "Care to join me in the water?" He didn't necessarily expect her to join him, but a part of him wondered how far she would take this little conversation. Would it be ended with a curt 'no thank you' and she would leave? Would she continue to amuse and surprise him at every turn? Either way, Abrin jogged delicately towards the lake, small droplets flicking his belly as his hooves his the water, waves from his movement hugging his legs. It was cold and a tad unpleasant at first, but after a few moments, it became energizing. He only had gone in to his knees and that's all he really intended on doing. Abrin's tail floated gracefully behind him, his reflection shaking in the rippling water. He didn't bother looking back but rather tilted his ears to listen for Luvena. She had rooted herself to that spot so maybe it would become a bit more fun if he could get her moving a bit. 

@Luvena

Night Court Sovereign

Luvena

He didn't seem to react to her little resistance. He did back off though, and for that she was glad. At this point, she didn't think he would do anything to harm her. If that was his intention he could have easily done so at that point. But at any rate, she was still thankful.  She was struggling at this point to hold the arch in her neck. Usually, it sat hollow, level with her withers, so this was not a natural position.  She was ever so slightly annoyed that he hadn't explained what he knew about her, but she was careful not to let it show on her face. 

"I have no wrath to give" she retorted quickly.  She was bitter about Etain, and part of her yes, was angry. But she had learned a long time ago that anger had no place in her life. It worked for some, fueled them, gave them purpose. It didn't for her. She didn't have the energy to keep her anger, or to use it.  

She watched as he finally turned away, towards the lake.  She could see the teasing look on his face. the invitation, that almost seemed playful in away.  She swished her tail slightly, felt the brittle cream hairs touch her legs. She knew it was a bad idea. She had already exhausted herself earlier that day, and she was still recovering from the winter, and the water was most certainly cold. But then again, she wasn't exactly known for restraining herself. She followed him slowly out into the water. While he sent up splashes, she merely sent ripples over the surface. She shuddered as the water crept up her legs, immediately feeling the cold deep in her bones, but she followed him in anyways. Where it hit his knees, it hit just above hers.  She stopped when she was beside him, and glanced towards him.  She wasn't entirely certain what to say next. so she let the silence linger for a moment. 

and then she struck. she lifted a hoof and -awkwardly- sent a spray of water at him. "For not telling me what rumors you heard" 
She knew it was a bold move, so she let a smile accompany her words, hoping he wouldn't take any of it the wrong way. "I'll tell you what I heard" she followed "Not much truthfully. I heard that you were manipulative, but for the most part, not altogether terrible. It seemed you kept the Heretics out of too much trouble. To my understanding Heretic was only formed a few months before I arrived in Elysium, and you were the first king. And if I remember correctly, you had a son."
@Abrin

Table © Camy

Inactive Character

If i'm your salvation,
welcome to hell

At Luvena's comment about having no wrath to give, Abrin couldn't help find a small shred of doubt swirling in his heart as he noticed the harshness of the words. One of the few things that kept Abrin alive was his ability to never put anything above anyone. While this doesn't mean he thought Luvena believed herself to be above hatred, he instead doubted that she truly was incapable of pushing no hatred onto him. A small, thoughtful hum escaped him as if quietly answering with an, 'Oh, is that so?' He watched her move with a surprising amount of grace into the water as she moved to join him. It was the splash that surprised him enough to let out a small laugh. So she could do more than stand as still as a statue.

It turned out that the movement and invitation were a good idea after all, even if it left the stallion a bit more wet than intended. He couldn't help but smile at her comment, realizing that withholding such information had actually frustrated her quite a bit. She was going along with his game, so as if almost in engaging in a dance of some sort, he began to play her's.

It was fun hearing what rumors she had heard. They were true for the most part... or at least one's he wouldn't deny. "Would you view me any differently if I told you they were all true?" He cast a glance to the side at her, his face tilting slightly. His crimson eyes were half-closed, lazily taking her in in a way that said that his attention, at least for the moment, belonged to her and her alone. It was after her answer that his gaze shifted back to the pond, staring in a way that suggested his mind was certainly not here, not when the words were leaving his lips. "I was the first king, chosen by Heretic himself. It was all a big mess, that whole thing. An entire new kingdom, born into existence just like that. I was shoved into ruling with Nightingale, never having met her before that moment. I don't know if we ever actually loved each other, but she kept things interesting. One thing had led to another and there was a son. I have no idea where he is or if he's even still alive." There was a small pause as he collected himself, his gaze sliding back over to Luvena, "Now for you, little bird, I've heard some interesting tales." a small grin slipped onto his lips, "I heard those of Crucis loved you, but they saw weakness in your body. Other stories say that you had a child against all odds and it nearly killed you. Some did tell me of how you were chased from your home, but those are the ones often overdone. So many creatures love to speak on the matters of royalty, especially when they fall." His eyes remained on Luvena as his voice trailed off. A small part of him wondered if they would have gotten along all those years ago, back when every inch of him yearned for change, for chaos. Would she play his game if he still ruled over the land of stone and thorns? Would he play her's?

@Luvena

Night Court Sovereign

Luvena

She wasn't altogether very surprised by his response. Most rumors, after all, were simply the truth but twisted just enough to make it exciting. "I don't think I would," she replied simply.  She watched as his demeanor changed slightly when he spoke about Heretic, and Nightingale. She let her head and neck fall back into their natural position, both dipping her head to him, and resting, wincing as it cracked.

“It was almost the same in Crucis” she started “I never desired to be queen. But Io Kairavi died,and on her deathbed left the woods to me and Oberon. We most certainly didn’t love each other, and we didn't really know each other, but we shared a love for Io. Neither of us knew it was coming, and I don’t think he wanted it either. “  she tilted her head to listen, as he recounted the rumours he had heard about her time. “you’re mostly right, though the order is off.” she started. “I was, I think, mostly liked, though certainly not by all. and they were certainly justified in what they saw, I do my best to keep moving forward, but I'm not exactly the picture of good health.  I was chased out by Etain, who threatened to kill many of us if we didn't retreat. Cavalier got lucky and escaped with everything, but her tongue when she decided to talk back. We retreated together to the Red Waste. And then I did have a son, yes. Not against all odds though, the firstborns had owed me a blessing. The waste was what almost killed me, though that wasn’t unexpected. I didn’t expect to live as long as I have.”  she paused for a moment looking at her reflection on the water, looking at the way her bones came sharply from her face. “and then Vega saved me from my dying breath” She stopped there. There had been little bits after that. She had gone back to Crucis with her newfound strength. Become the judge, making decisions by Gotham’s side. But by that time, everyone had already started to leave. 

She shivered, still standing in the cold water. Two ex-monarchs, from enemy lands, side by side. “Do you ever regret your time as King?” she asked, pulling her gaze from her reflection back up to him. “Sometimes I felt as if I was doing the work of the firstborns for them. Guarding their lands. Acrux didn't swoop down to help when the woods were burning. He let his children breathe in smoke and ashes, let them burn. It was Vander who helped everyone get out. I'm grateful to them, the firstborns, for what they gave me, but I wonder, if they had so much power, why let us do the things we did"
@Abrin
Table © Camy

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »