Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - -- listen to the waves crash;

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Dyzzie [PM] Posts: 214 — Threads: 26
Signos: 260
Dusk Court Battlemage
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 498 Summer]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 30 — Atk: 50 — Exp: 88  |    Active Magic: Hydrokinesis  |    Bonded: Yukime (Ice Serpent)

Below Zero

my frost philosophy will put no curse on me

The entirety of Novus was like a new awakening to the mare who had only lived in two climates (and one was only for a month or two out of the year once every other year or so). Her primary domicile had always been the arctic, even if she occasionally had the chance to relax in the humid, warm tropics during the foaling times. Coming to Novus where a variety of landscapes and wonders met her eye was like an everlasting vacation of new discoveries to be made. Every new piece of information was absorbed with eagerness, to learn and grow and find her way, her place. From the waters to land was never an easy transition, but with some of the wonders to be found on Novus, she felt like it was a transition worth making. Every new plant was filled with unknown flavors (even if she preferred sea-grasses and small krill and clams), every poetic backdrop of landscaped beauty was like a new wonder of her world in the making.

It was certainly a new experience, but then again hadn’t his own transition been a new one. Rather than the changing of literal biomes, he’d changed forms, smoke to sold, bipedal to quadpedal. That finally one she could kind of understand, as she was in the process of making the transition of swimming to walking (and her ability to navigate some of the more exotic – to her – terrains was likely an enjoyable experience for others, and embarrassing for herself.

The topic was sailing along easily, though; following a gentle tide of conversation that Bel was glad for. Making friends was a lot easier of a task when the conversation was going as smoothly as this. No awkward fin-in-mouth moments, no uncomfortable silences. It was easy, and laughter was present; all good signs to a potential friendship growing. She grinned in his easy response of Krakens not being trusted, nodding solemnly as she fought back the grin to respond, “Oh yes, definitely not to be trusted. Most of the larger creatures of the sea have issues of some sort. Whales forget their own size and power, squids and octopi have a territorial streak a fathom wide, and don’t even ask about sharks and their substantial anger issues. Only company worth keeping is dolphins! And Treaders, my people, of course. ” She stated with as serious a tone as she could manage before falling into a state of giggles.

There was an eagerness in Bel to discover everything she could of Novus, even if just to be able to see what all this land had to offer. To learn all the stories and lore, to not feel like an outsider among those that clearly had a grander understanding of the land they made home in. So much was new to her, and she knew that her knowledge of the world above the surface waters was severely lacking; but she was determined to learn everything she could – anything she could. Simple things like magic itself was a foreign concept to her, much less any of the things on land that didn’t have relevance or purpose in the water. So much to learn, so much to discover.
Fire, for example, confused her. As Lasair grinned, however, Bel was delighted to hear him offer to show her one, cautioning her about getting too close. Her eyes than got a second treat when he telepathically used some sticks to do as he promised. The two sticks and a piece of drift wood floated towards them, the sticks rubbing together in a way that confused her. However when that first little flicker of flame lit up, her eyes grew wide with wonder, watching as it flickered and flamed, tiny but growing as it fed from the oxygen sweeping off of the sea, and the wood below it, even as the water in the air threatened its existence.

She stepped closer, nose lowering to peer at it closer, the reds and yellow glows reflecting off of her silver horns and against her smooth furred face as she watched the small flame dance, “It’s so tiny, and look! It moves! It looks like it’s dancing, or swimming through the air! ” She explained, eyes bright, before she glanced up at him with the wonder and curiosity of a foal, “Is it alive? It moves like it is! ” She peered closer, before a flick of flame briefly touched her nose and she jumped back, wrinkling her muzzle slightly, “It bit me! ” She declared with a huff, rubbing the tendered piece of flesh against her foreleg in distaste now staring at the flame with less excitement and some suspicion.

She glanced back towards the male when he responded about some of the other individuals turning into scarier things, and briefly her mind went to the stories of her youth, of fearsome creatures that would send nightmares into the dreams of the foals of the pod. She didn’t respond right away to his words, thinking on what he’d said, “Well, I suppose it’s true that there’s always something more scarier out there. ” She mused with a slight smile of her own. She, for the most part, had only the terrors of the deep that she had seen, and from his words she had to ponder on just what kind of worse creatures he’d seen and had to grow accustomed to.

Healing seemed to be a topic that kept coming back on way or another, but as they spoke here or there about it, it was obviously bothering the mare less and less. Perhaps it was a lack of focus on the abilities, or lack there-of of her own people, and more on the hypothetical situations of injury during youth. Either way she was growing into a more willing conversationalist on this topic as well. She was also certain that the company played a huge part in her growing comfort on the topic. Lasairian was growing to prove to be an individual she could talk easily with, and as he continued to show respect and fore-thought to her own well-being and mental state about any conversation brought up. It certain made her comfort levels for the talk in general rise significantly. Thankfully the topic also smoothed over these discussions to others well without too much lasting comments on the healing.

She nodded when he spoke of his people being a more tight-knit group, explaining about fighting being kept from falling out of control if you care about the others. Bel nodded in understanding, it was a smart solution to keep a reign on growing tempers and growing bodies. Youth could be quick to emotional heights, and having an established care level with others could certain help dam up the more aggressive emotions and tendencies for sure. “It really is a sound plan. ” She acknowledged. Had she known more about the . . . more carnal embraces and the lack of boundaries on that term, perhaps her understanding of his community would lesson, but that wasn’t a spoken topic, and she was blissfully unaware of the poly-amorous life style.

For her people the sacred bond of life mates went further than the chosen one to share life with. It was the mate, the other soul, the only body one would reach for, the only lover to take. It was akin to soul mates, pouring everything they had into each other in an everlasting love that would leave the other shattered beyond repair when one passed before the other. Life mates rarely lived long without the other, providing there weren’t children to care for, and even then it wasn’t always a guarantee of surviving the ripping of your soul and heart. She didn’t know how his people might view, she had no idea what may have been similar or different, but she knew what her parents had, and it was a kind of love that had destroyed her father at her mother’s death. And she’d seen the last of his energy die at the filly abandoned to the elements. She was certain her father had followed her mother to the ocean of the sky shortly after her own departure, his final reason for holding on tore from him too.

Exploration became the next topic for the two to discuss, and the stallion likely had no idea what his casual comment meant to the young mare still so new to Novus and to the other equine of the lands. Someone to explore with was more than she’d hoped to gain from this conversation – it was practically friend status! She smiled and nodded her head, “I’ll make sure to remember that! I’d definitely prefer someone to explore with than going out by myself! Who knows what trouble I might face! Falling down a large hill. Getting stuck on a high ledge. All kinds of horrible situations! ” She didn’t admit that most of her pretend scenarios were a possibility with her strive for adventure, and her less than perfected attempts to walk gracefully on land like she swam in water. His followup sentence of where to find him had her pausing again, another foreign word. “Uhm, so . . . one more question for you: What’s a library? And where exactly would I find it? ” In her defense, however, of course she wouldn’t know . . . books aren’t waterproof, after all; and she was still very new to Novus.
Thoughts
Speech
@lasairian

i feel no cold, i feel no fear inside my mind

Now I'm full of energy

[Image: i-jTNwWx8.png]

Messages In This Thread
-- listen to the waves crash; - by Lasairian - 05-20-2019, 09:10 PM
RE: -- listen to the waves crash; - by Below Zero - 05-21-2019, 06:40 PM
RE: -- listen to the waves crash; - by Lasairian - 05-21-2019, 10:41 PM
RE: -- listen to the waves crash; - by Below Zero - 05-22-2019, 06:54 PM
RE: -- listen to the waves crash; - by Lasairian - 05-23-2019, 12:17 AM