Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

- restraint & release [relic quest]

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Reichenbach

R E I C H E N B A C H

E R W I N

R O M M E L

" there's no way tonight
as far as I know
that heaven will take me
so I'm staggering home "

There was a change in the atmosphere as he arrived - the stars shone brighter, gleaming in competition for his far reaching gaze, glittering like diamonds on the satin surface of the obsidian lake and clambering at the corners of his vision. The earth stilled at his step, only the slightest ruffle of breeze through his ebony curls proving that he was indeed present, not some wraith-like imitation. Reichenbach stood amongst the silence, or at least the kind of silence you could only get when the world was passing you by, accentuated with the occasional whisper of wind or crunch of gravel, the pipe of a night heron lashing whip-like through the darkness. A heart-sore sigh crept from his vast lungs, draining his hurt like a pin-prick, leaking that agony into the soft embrace of the evening. 

Darkness wrapped him like a cloak, shadows lingering in the delicate infrastructure of his rough hewn face, hooking themselves underneath his chin and at the corners of his abyssal eyes. The quiet of the lake was a pleasant change to the inconstant noise of the city, an abrupt difference that instantly relaxed him. He had lit a small campfire a ways back from the lake, but had left the small campsite to wander the lakes edge, to ease the distress of his aching mind and renew the vitality that thrummed within his veins. It had been years since they had left - years, now. Rhaegar would be a true man, would he have children by now? Reich felt his heart cramp suddenly at the vision of two silver haired childer, a boy and girl with Rhaegar's handsome, weather worn smile and Swallow's kind eyes. Not his. Not his children. 

He looked down, examining the stony shore beneath his neat, hard hooves. The harsh chord of discontentedness clanged through his sable mind, though behind it lay the perpetual song of his life. It was a haunting melody, one that he had tried many times to write down, to play, to sing - but it was true to him, and never came out right save for when it flowed through his mind. He had always had music playing within him, like a river of sound and song, a constant companion to his lonely nights and most cherished memories. It thrummed now, low and bittersweet, both soothing and enraging the tumultuous waves of his emotion, battling within his deep chest for triumph. Reich did his best to ignore his inner confusion, focusing his long lashed eyes upon the moon reflected in the surface of the lake, knowing that all too soon he would be amongst the clash and clamour of the city, of The Night Court.

He had heard the rumours of the relic that had been blessed by Tempus himself and despite his haunting condescension toward any rumour, Reichenbach could not help but to gaze over the lakes vast surface and wonder. He hummed softly to himself, a beautiful, sweet melody that he usually reserved for the orphans under his patronage. The tune echoed hauntingly over the lake, travelling far, searching for an ear to curl around, a heart to summon.

ooc; open!

Kaladin

He'd never felt closer to the heavens. The night was bright with thousands of twinkling stars, painting hidden constellations that had Kaladin tip his head to the heavens and recognize each by name. Cetus Maxima, Hippocampus, Aquila, Helena's Belt... he was alive here, amongst silver-gilded starways and the warmth of the glowing moon. His chest tumbled with both joy and an ancient, aching longing - a longing for freedom, to glide across the night sky, his mane rippling in the night breeze. But for now, he would have to content himself with standing beneath the indigo curtain of night, with the moon's light spilling across the lake ahead.

He picked up the pace once more, worn hooves crunching against the lake's smooth-stone holding. Despite his desire to disappear in the stars, he was here for a purpose - the ongoing search for the relic of Tempus. The treacherous mountain pass had proved almost entirely fruitless - but he'd taken the time to visit Denocte, home to the Night Court, and continue on in his efforts. Despite the dulling flame that was his hope, his resolution remained strong - if there were a relic, he would find it, and he would break the cursed collar that weighed down his body with every step.

Still, tonight he had almost successfully lost that weight in the cool night breeze. His muscles hummed with youthful energy, and he was once again reminded that indeed, he was but a boy - a boy with wide amberglass eyes full of stars and ancient knowledge. His excitement over the familiarity of the constellation had translated into energy singing in his veins, and he found himself trotting, then moving into a smooth canter, feeling the wind comb his mane with caring fingers. Unbeknownst to him, a rare smile touched lightly upon his lips. He leapt into a reckless gallop with a buck, now thundering across the shore of the glass-surface lake. For a moment, he was almost convinced he was free again.

Until he was not alone. Seeing the stranger in the distance, he managed to himself to a halt, though he did so grudgingly. Panting, his eyes glimmering akin to the stars above, he might have appeared almost like the child he could have been, had fate been so kind. Or like the wild creature of power that he had once been.

Spirit still high, he greeted the mahogany stranger with a nod. After a moment of scrutiny, he guessed they were there for the same goal - he had learned as much from his travels in search of the relic. After his reckless voyage across the mountain pass, he knew enough not to engage any more mortals in his own quest for divinity. However, the elation in his chest was bursting to be let out, and so he forced himself to recall the greeting the local mortals would utilize to convey their approach. Finally, voice still placed between excited breaths, he spoke, "Greetings, stranger."

The remark was quick and dismissive, meant as both greeting and farewell so they could both continue on their separate ways - and, so Kaladin hoped, the stranger was simply basking in the view, not seeking any godly relics. He hoped, prayed, that his search could continue uninterrupted. But if he'd learned anything about this mortal earth, it was that high hopes often went squandered.

code by avis

Reichenbach

R E I C H E N B A C H

E R W I N

R O M M E L

" there's no way tonight
as far as I know
that heaven will take me
so I'm staggering home "

The stillness of the night was broken by the softest of noises, a ripple, a change in the breeze. It awoke Reichenbach from the recesses of his memories, a long, drawn out detachment that left him feeling out of place, even underneath the blanket of stars that pulled at him familiarly. There was a figure making its swift way toward him, flying over the earth as if he wished his feet weren't touching the ground at all. Reichenbach watched the approach through narrowed eyes, certain that the runaway was not from the Night Court, not that the distinction between courts meant much to him when there had been such peace between them recently.

Irregardless of that peace, Reichenbach studied the approaching man, deeming him to be just past adolescence. His frame belied the youth that ran rampant through slender legs and hollowed shoulders, the energy that buzzed just beneath the surface of his smooth russet skin denying age. Still... the nod that he received appeared too at odds with the childish body that Reich could not help but assess a second time. [b]"Greetings"[/b] was his simple response, dipping his own chiseled head respectfully as his argent eyes slid the length of the strangers body and back again. There was something ancient about him, something impossible to place - though Reich was certain the tells lay in the set of his archaic eyes, or perhaps the cruel twist of his mouth. 

He allowed the youthful stranger to pass a few strides before asking: "What business have you in the realms of the Night Court?" The echo of his musical voice lingered on the air a moment before fading into nothing, the question hanging between them coolly. It wasn't for Reichenbach to be unkind, so he added as an explanatory afterthought "I am Reichenbach, a warrior of the Night Court." His voice was something lovely, deep and baritone but layered with lilting music that drifted on the shadows between them. 

ooc; @Kaladin <3

Damascus

DAMASCUS
he was like a storm,
"Kaladin"
Why Dohv sounded so bitter toward the ram-crowned stag no one could know, though, one thing Damascus knew for certain was that the jerboa was not a great fan of the stag who it seemed they would meet once again, now for the third time. The long-eared creature accompanying the boy of starlight had taken nest between his withers even as the the boy swooped low to meet the lake, close enough to brush his hoof upon the surface. 

It was shortly after the man they followed had met with another that Damascus pressed his weight forward, angling his flight downward to the fray and fog below that shielded parts of the moonlit lake from view. Landing with a beat an a thud, his monolithic tail soon to land with its own THUMP upon the ground behind him, Damascus spoke immediately.
"Kaladin - travel you far for man wings none" he had jested, a teasing smile curling upon his lips. Though truly, the man really did travel far and wide for one unblessed with the gift of flight. Many miles of boring marching, many days of bad sleep. Damascus certainly did not envy those without this blessing; just one wingbeat and he could be somewhere else.

Without much else to say to the stringy-haired brute, Damascus soon turned his nose over to the darker stag as he made his approach. "Friends you?" He asked Kaladin, looking back to the man he knew before casting his gaze once more of the coin-jingling stranger. "Damascus I am. Name of you be...?" Damascus had learned the past few days that waiting for an introduction was like waiting for grass to grow, so now he forged the opportunity to learn names whenever he told someone of his own. 

(( ooc; SPACE BBY WELCOME! so stoked you're here with me  ))

☀︎ ☀︎

Kaladin

Kaladin was beginning to break records for absolutely rotten luck - or so he'd decided. It seemed that every step he took, he could not shake off the mortals that tracked his steps. Before the collar, he would have simply strode away from the other man, ignoring him and his pathetic small-talk. However, there was something innately hierarchical about mortals that seemed to come add-on with their bodies - as the older stallion continued to speak, Kaladin found himself halting and turning back to face him to allow him to continue. It was compulsion by age, he decided - in the mortal world, it was respectful for the younger to acknowledge the thoughts of their elders. Though Kaladin, in truth, had seen more years then this man ever could, he still found himself forming an honest reply to the man's inquiries.

"I am a Dawn Court caretaker," the half-truth had become his go-to by now."I have come seeking the relic in hopes of studying it for healing properties." though the words slipped off his tongue easily enough, he found himself stunned into silence. Not by the lie, as impressed by it as he was, but by the small truths that he could find within it - he would study the artifact, he realized. He would use it as knowledge before a tool.

He could not remain contemplative for long, however. He heard the steady hum of strong wing beats off in the distance, then a resounding thump as said approaching figure landed. He jumped, startled by both the noise and apprehension of what could be coming towards them, glancing to Reichenbach (he'd remembered the name!) in small alarm. It was, however, a needless feeling, as Kaladin soon found himself face-to-face with a familiar silhouette.

He was not exactly pleased, to see the adolescent pegasus, but his previous good spirits had somehow maintained themselves aloft during his interaction with Reichenbach, and he could not find it within himself to be bitter nor dismissive towards his fellow travelers. Instead, he tipped his head, mouth quirking upwards in light amusement. "You are either an extremely adept spy, my friend, or luck simply has us both clutched in her palms." he remarked, voice lined with fairly amicable sarcasm. To the second question, he simply shrugged."I suppose you could say that."

He glanced around, from Reichenbach to Damascus, and decided that if he was going to enjoy his night, then he would do it despite the mortal presence. He guessed now that they all had the same goal, and perhaps with the stars above them they would be successful. For now, he would remain with them - perhaps learn more about the relics that he so desperately sought. It was possible, after all, that the other men had insight that he did not. They would prove useful - at least for now.
code by avis

Reichenbach

R E I C H E N B A C H

E R W I N

R O M M E L

" there's no way tonight
as far as I know
that heaven will take me
so I'm staggering home "

There was something off about the stranger that put Reich on edge, perhaps the faintest scent of otherness that lingered about him, or the eyes that looked far too ancient to belong to the youthful frame they inhabited. Whatever it was, it had him watching the man closely with his argent gaze, caring all too little that he might have wanted to remain alone on his hunt for the relic. He mused upon the words that entered the atmosphere smoothly, a slick sentence that came across as slightly rehearsed - but perhaps the stranger had been asked the same question many a time and simply relayed a time-worn answer. His brows raised slightly, dubiety resting it's sly hand upon Reich's brow - but he remained silent, so long as he and his court had no issue with the man there was no reason to press him for answers. 

The resounding thump didn't startle him, rather it made him raise his brows even higher, a kind of excited gleam taking over the depthless silver of his eyes. He shared a glance with his ram-horned companion and stared through the night keenly, gleaning the slip of moonlight off of one monolithic shoulder, the starshine slick on a strong black neck. A grin swept his face as the newcomer spoke, his voice an off-kilter, pleasant kind of thing, the words slightly muddled but understandable regardless. 

He took a step forward as he was addressed, dipping his rough hewn head in welcome. He glanced to Kaladin, storing the name within the deep recesses of his mind for later recollection, curling one side of his lip in a wry smile at the indication that they were friends. Strangers more like it but... no harm in labels, he supposed. "A pleasure to meet you Damascus, I am Reichenbach - of the Night Court." He paused as his voice drifted along the lakes surface, eyeing the ring in the ebony stallions nose slowly before continuing "You're from the Dusk Court?" He asked, despite knowing the brine and granite scent of Pristigia Cliffs well. It lingered on the sable boy's skin, along with that heady between day and night smell, like fresh rain or dew. 

"And what will you be doing with the relic if you find it?"

ooc; @Kaladin @Damascus <3 ugh dam u beauty

Damascus

DAMASCUS
he was like a storm,
Curiously the colt closed in on the pair, heaving his mass of hair along the ground behind him as he did so. In one great SWOOSH hee managed to heave all twenty feet of hair up and over his right wing joint, sending dirt and all kind of debris flying. 
"Damascus! Yew shud warn folk when ya do that!" Dohv barked through thier bond, a cough resonating from his mouth as he clambered thought the lifted dust to stand upon the silken black boy's head.

The bay fellow had spoken, one of muscle and gypsy song - Reichenback of the night court. Eyeing the precious coins that adorned his mane and glinted upon his leg, Damascus felt a slight sense of fraternity. Both were plain and simple men of little colour of bravado it would seem, though still Damascus viewed him as an attractive male none the less, and the kind that likely got many a damsel's attention (or so he assumed). Maybe it was just that devilishly handsome voice that rumbled like thunder from within a chest of Andalusia.
"Reichenbach" the boy practised, eyes of silver hardly straying from the matching pair that glanced back. "Long name have you..." He commented, squinting as he rehearsed the numerous syllables (only to realise that his name had just as many). 

Instead the boy straightened himself, puffing his chest ever so slightly and crooning his neck to it's full height to appear a little less clueless. He was among gentlemen, the kind he wished to be like some day.
"Look me relic for" He spoke, eyes narrowing upon Kaladin "Think you still be one and only to find it?" 
(( weeeee @kaladin ))

☀︎ ☀︎

Kaladin

He was surprised to find himself smiling amiably, this time an expression come naturally instead of forced. He grinned at Damascus as the youth stumbled over the words of Reichenbach's lengthy title, then tipped his head at the boy's inquiry. He recalled with dread that the last time the two men had met, Kaladin had divulged to Damascus an amalgamation of personal information, spurred on by the fruitless frustrations of his search and his temper's ending fuse. The boy seemed to bear no grudge, however - and Kaladin himself had been mortifyingly grateful for the ability to speak honestly to another - even a mortal like Damascus, with halting speech and naive outlook to the world.

He shrugged upon hearing Damascus' inquiries about the relic. His heart gave an anxious tumble, recalling his true goals this night and acknowledging the competition he would be faced with now that he was no longer alone. He tipped his head in the direction of both his fellow travelers and acknowledged, "I doubt I will be the only one to find it. But I know I will be the first to use it." he glanced nervously to Reichenbach, amberglass eyes flickering as he realized too late that his words might hinder his previous front. "Either way, this relic remains a great unknown. What it does and who can use it is any of our best guesses. But an item of power should be held by one of equal power." And I am the one to bear that power, he finished in his mind, unwilling to speak further of his past aloud. They could never comprehend what it is like, to bear that burden...that freedom...that loss. They are only mortal, after all. And...so am I.

He was not set apart from the others in any way. Not any more. His chest clenched, and he had to grit his teeth against a wave of sorrow that struck him, shattering the night's blissful illusions. In an attempt to regain his composure, he glanced to the sky, eyes reflecting the glimmering starlight and nostrils widening as he inhaled the lake's misting breeze. He was always so close, and yet so far. It seemed the world only taunted him, his fate dancing in and out of reach like a marionette in the hands of a wicked pupeteer. I will prove you wrong, father. he swore. I will take back what you stole, and then I will take what is yours as well. And then I will make this world anew.

Naively, he pressed the hope down within himself, as if enough willpower could force it to be true. Using all his willpower, he wrenched himself away from his sorrows, glancing back to his companions and hoping that the crack in his facade had gone unnoticed. "We shall never know if we do not find it, will we? Then let us search." he glanced back up once more towards the sky, and he swore he could see father's iron eyes reflected in the moon's cold surface. He glanced away and stepped out before his companions, proclaiming with feigned confidence,"Whatever god loses his relic can do without one." And whatever father abandons his own creation can suffer at its hands. he added, wondering childishly if father could somehow hear.

@Damascus @Reichenbach i now bring you this needlessly self-indulgent post as presented by Kaladin, the ultimate trash bin
code by avis

Reichenbach

R E I C H E N B A C H

E R W I N

R O M M E L

" there's no way tonight
as far as I know
that heaven will take me
so I'm staggering home "

"Call me Reich"

Was his warm response, humour lacing his words as Damascus chewed on his name with difficulty. It was a foreign name, given to him by his mother - he assumed - before she died. It was all he had had for a few long years, just a name and a blank slate that slowly, slowly filled with colour and life. His gaze shifted to Kaladin as the great sable pegasus turned toward the horned man, silver eyes abound with curiosity and just the slightest tinge of calculation. Kaladin held secrets tight within the gleam of his eyes, it was all he could do but to wonder whether those secrets made life difficult for the lone man - or if they were dangerous to his Denocte's wellbeing. His brows raised slightly as the man spoke, his low voice a sheen across the strange mixture of arrogance and desperation that his words contained. 

But what will you be using it for? The thought flashed through his head and across his bright eyes even as he listened to the rumble of Kaladin's voice go silent.

"And you believe yourself to be of equal power to this relic?" 

Reich tossed his ebony curls in amusement, despite the deeply uncomfortable thing shifting in his stomach at the thought. Responding silently to Kaladin's upthrown eyes, the bay stallion tilted his head back to follow his gaze, staring upward at the stars - at Denocte's stars. They were the best in all of Novus, like the galaxy had thrown all it had into creating the most beautiful night sky ever created, a cacophony of comets, shooting stars, gases and best of all, dainty twinkling lights so bright and varied that it was hard to look away. Yet look away he did, grinning at the somewhat surprising companionship he felt twitch between the three of them. 

"That might be the smartest thing you've said all night, Kal"

He planted the nickname with ease, his honeyed tongue blessing Kaladin with something like tentative friendship. Damascus was as Reich - he was of this world, or one close enough to this one, and he smelt like earth and fresh air, and as such, Reichenbach fell easily into friendship with the ebony giant. He provided no uneasy, ominous feeling, only a delightful youthfulness that made the elder stallion smile. He began to follow Kaladin in his search, walking side by side with the rust coloured stallion, occasionally turning over stones or shifting leaves, though he soon slipped to the lake. Walking in the ice cold shallows, Reichenbach turned to Damascus and asked;

"What will you do with the relic, if you find it?"

ooc; @Kaladin @Damascus oops sorry I must have forgotten it was my turn to post!