Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Beneath a Burning Sun [Patrol]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

S O M N U S

The rolling hills of prairie grasses were brittle beneath their hooves, cracking and snapping with every step that they took. The summer heat was a dry one and the land had rarely been graced by a scarce summer storm. It was dry and that alone concerned Somnus for the possibilities of the stray wildfire, and that was, perhaps, one of the reasons he did not entirely mind patrolling the Illuster Meadow with Messalina. There was much more than just outsiders that they all needed to keep an eye out for to ensure the safety of their Court.

“I must admit that I’m somewhat envious of the others,” Somnus murmured endearingly, verdant green eyes rolling to rest on Messalina’s lovely, dotted frame as they walked side by side, “Patrolling within the shade of the forest or the coolness of the river while we are here beneath the full fury of the afternoon sun.”

Honestly, it was poor planning on their part. They certainly could have left earlier in the day, but Somnus had been the fool to stay up into the late hours of the night pouring over documents and manuscripts and had overslept, much to his chagrin and embarrassment. He was definitely regretting it now, as the hot summer sun beat down mercilessly upon their backs. Somnus, mindful of Messalina’s porcelain skin beneath her pale coat and loathing the idea of her accidentally burning, had kept a large mottled wing lifted up and poised over her frame to keep her sheltered from the direct sunlight. It was definitely an action that he did not mind, even as sweat began to perspire upon his brow and upon his neck.

The Meadow was beautiful despite the heat, however. The red poppies were still in full-bloom, dotting the miles and miles of grassland surrounding them and charming in a way that only Delumine could master. There was a subtle breeze upon the wind, sparse relief from the high temperature. With a casual pace, Somnus pressed onwards, the tall grasses brushing against his legs and underbelly.

Alba fluttered ahead almost lazily, the heat seeming to have no effect on the barn owl. Occasionally she would dart this way and that, spotting a lizard or a field mouse through the brush, but mostly left the two equines to their own devices. Even the bond that they shared, internal and private, was blissfully silent. It was nice.

“Although I suppose I’m the lucky one, spending my afternoon with such lovely company. Thank you for coming with me today, Messalina.”

xx
space

@Messalina – And it begins! :D

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!