Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

- Through the Looking Glass [relic contest]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Rostislav

"There was green alligators and long-necked geese,
Some humpty-backed camels and some chimpanzees,
Noah cried, "Close the doors 'cause the rain is pourin',
And we just can't wait for no Unicorns.""

My wearied body barely made it down from the mountains I kid you not. After my meeting with the pretty mare, I rested some more, then journeyed further south. Reaching an appropriate, Rosti-approved altitude once more, I'm moving much more slowly than I once had. A deep inhale.. and exhale.. my eyes closed to rest my mind. So much hunting, so much not relic. I open my eyes. A lake? A BIG ASS lake. I step forward with a little more energy, curiosity driving me onward. My steps are less careful, and I almost tumble face first to the ground. Last second I catch myself and walk forward a little more slowly. I stop at the edge and stare into what looks like a giant ass mirror. I stare for a moment, not really seeing anything. I lie down with a heaving groan just on the edge of the water, and glance out over the still water in the dawn. The rising sun is slow to reach my body, but the cool air feels comfortable. Will the relic be here in the banks? Out across the water? Underneath the water? There's no way that I could possibly search underneath the water. Do I look like a mermaid? I've nearly given up on ever finding the relic. I've lost count of the places I've been, the things I've seen. Who knows if I'll ever succeed in this damn quest.

Text text text.
"Words words words."

Camdis

Camdis Lohir

It seemed as if he had taken up the habit of wandering wherever the thread in his heart wished to tug him. 

The urge to search out the relic, the answers to all of his questions, and the secrets of the land that he had come to had pushed him to the edges of a mirror-like lake. The waters were silvery, broken only by ripples traced over the surface by the breeze. Due to his shame, his humiliation and self-loathing, Camdis had forbidden mirrors and reflective surfaces within his kingdom unless they were in a private residence. He did not wish to see what others had told him was a mask of his sister's blood, staining his face and chest and horns and everything. He did not want to look upon the demon that had brought about his sisters' death and sullied the royal bloodline with his incompetence.

Yet, as he stared at his damnable face, he was surprised. 

Yes, he was stained red with his unholy baptism. Yes, the color was stark and shocking against his bay hide and onyx markings, but he was not the creature of nightmares that he had imagined. He was not grotesque and wretched. In fact, he huffed with thinly veiled satisfaction, in the light of the dawn, it seemed that he had taken after his mother and could even be considered... handsome.

Further inspection would have been performed if a groan didn't break through Camdis' thoughts. Jerking his attention away from the lake, the stallion found that he was not alone, no, he had been joined by similarly oblivious company. Turning away from the waters and moving toward the prone form of the stallion - a mammoth of a creature - Camdis was shocked to find that he was in a good mood. Slowing to a stop a short distance away from the beast, the Exile King nodded his greeting before lowering his muscled body to the earth and gazing out at the waters alongside the stranger. 

A good mood did not mean a conversational mood. 

@Rostislav  hello!

Rostislav

[Image: ezgif_2_ff4dc422ec_by_arrakis93-dbdp0g8.gif]

" THE BEAST COMES QUIETLY FOR ALL "

My reverie is broken - subtly broken, if there's such a thing - when the soft sound of hooves reaches my ears. I make an assumption that it is another horse, after all, those are the greatest population in Novus, to my knowledge. Much more likely than a deer or a goat. The noise stops not far from me, in fact rather close, and I glance over to see my assumption is correct. A handsome bay unicorn has set himself down next to me on the part-sandy, part-grassy bank, joining me in silence. His horns are huge, rising over his head and curling back like a ram. His face and neck are splashed a bright red, but the strange and asymmetrical marking doesn't detract from his appearance. I turn my crown forward again and stare out across the lake. For a few minutes, we both lie there in silence, perchance lost in our own thoughts. It occurs to me that never before has someone found me lying down and joined me. A satisfied smile passes over my maw as I realize how peaceful it is to have company, but without it being filled with needless chatter. Not that all talk is pointless or irritating. Conversing between two individuals is something I generally enjoy (mostly), but it can be exhausting to do it over and over again.

A few more minutes pass before I break the silence. "It's beautiful, isn't it? I reference the lake. The shores are so distant that I can't actually see them, and only instinct tells me that I'm at a lake and not a sea. The sun's reflection in the still water casts gentle colors to paint us - hues of lilac, rose, and canary yellow. I take in a deep breath, smelling fresh rainfall on the grass and fish in the lake. It's faint, not overwhelming, just enough of a smell to stimulate the senses and remind you of the nature that's all around. "Very peaceful." I wonder if I should say something else, but the words don't come. Introductions will come, they always do. But for now it's enough to enjoy the moment. Comrades indeed. Joined in this moment in time, at peace with the world.

WC: 369
Tag: @Camdis

love, space

Camdis

Camdis Lohir

His muscles had tensed for the first few moments, the worry that the other stallion would break the peace with what Camdis assumed was an impressive baritone overriding the careful quiet. Though as minutes passed and the only sound of his anonymous companion's presence was his breathing and the occasional shifting of skin, the Exile King allowed himself to relax, weary musculature practically melting into the emerald grasses. Silvery eyes sliding closed for a moment, the bloodied bay heaved a quiet sigh, relishing in the feel of his rib cage rising around his expanding lungs, adoring the freshness of the air and the birdsong fluttering through the air. 

When he opened his eyes, it was to a pastel symphony of color. The lake and sun painted the pair in beautiful swaths of color, dappling their hides with pigment not their own - though if Camdis were to squint, he could pretend that he was dripping in gold and lavender instead of scarlet and black. 

The pair enjoyed a few more moments of respite, hearts full of the wondrous scenery that had been thrust upon them - truly, the Night Court was a place of dreams - before the larger male parted the silence with his voice. Cam had thought that he would be annoyed, irritated even, at the sound of his companion's words floating over the lake, but the masculine vocals actually served to further comfort the bay. It's beautiful, isn't it? Very Peaceful. A small grin curled at the corners of Camdis' mouth, the corners of his eyes creasing along with it; yes, it was breathtaking. Even more so that it was home. 

Turning his head so that the nameless stallion could see his smile, the horned stag gave a leisurely nod, some of the hair that had been wrapped about his horns sliding loose of their hold at the slight movement. Now that he lay closer to the stallion, Camdis Lohir found himself looking a bit closer at the stranger who was sharing such a lovely moment with him and was a bit surprised that the stallion was not as big as Camdis had previously thought. No, it seemed that if the pair were to stand alongside one another, his comrade would be shorter than he - yes, it must be that his unnamed acquaintance instead possessed a large presence, though the muscles roping his form were not lost on Cam. 

"Thank you," The words were out of his mouth before he knew it, his voice soft in the face of such lovely surroundings, "It is nice to enjoy something without empty words fogging the air. I'm Camdis Lohir."

@Rostislav is that a budding bromance i smell?

Rostislav

I tear my gaze from the beautiful sunrise and look over toward my companion. His smile is contagious, and I return it with ease. I see that he enjoys the silence and stillness of our shared moment as much as I do. And within a second he says as much. A content sigh slips from my lips. He introduces himself and I nod, staring out across the water. "Indeed - it seems too often we say so much without saying anything at all. So commonplace and yet we hardly notice." I pause in my thoughts, then redirect both speech and gaze. "It's a pleasure, Camdis Lohir. I am Rostislav." It takes me a moment to realize he thanked me for the peace and quiet. Instead of replying with the automatic "you're welcome", I stay silent.

It has been so very long since I've enjoyed just being with someone. In the quiet. Perhaps the only one who's silent company I've enjoyed in Damaris. Our mental connection was all we needed, and in it was such softness and peace. There are not many whose company I've ever truly enjoyed. Just.... existed together. But I'm happy in this moment. It's beautiful, and I'm joined by someone who also thinks it is beautiful. I never said I don't enjoy companionship... I guess I'm just rather picky about who it is gonna be. This fellow is, rather nice. I groan happily and lie down, stretching my neck and head out, plus my legs toward the water. My head lies facing this fellow, Camdis, so I can still watch him even when totally splayed out. Another content sigh... If I lie here too long I might be too comfortable to ever get up again.

Text. Words.
WC: 287
Tag: @Camdis
Comments: sorry it isn't great but YES BROMANCE <333

love, space

Camdis

Camdis Lohir

There is a spark of something in the red stained stallion's chest as his companion returns his grin, and after a moment of consideration, Camdis realizes that it is delight. 

He's never had someone smile back at him before. 

It is an effort not to let the joy show, though he knows that his eyes of moonlight sparkle in response - his mother had always said that his eyes spoke more truth than his mouth ever could. Tilting his ears toward the rugged stallion as he replied, his voice carrying easily across the small space between them, Camdis nodded in agreement and shifted his hips so that they found a softer patch of dirt and didn't dig into with so much pressure. 

"Rostislav," he murmured, enjoying the way the rounded syllables rolled off of his tongue with such ease. He wondered if his comrade's mother nation spoke a different language, had different lore, if it were a common occurrence to lay beside strangers and admire a lake in the light of dawn. Camdis had never had any friends, advisors and tutors had flowed aplenty in his throne room and chambers, and he had enemies numbering in the hundreds if his spymasters were to be believed, but a friend? It seemed a gift too precious for the Bastard Lord and his bloody past. He decided not to dwell on the possibility of friendship with Rostislav, lest he overthink and ruin whatever kindness that the stallion had offered. 

Then, a happy groan burst from his companion's lips as he stretched out on the grass, laying down fully but not allowing his position to obscure Camdis from his watchful gaze. With a nod and something akin to a shrug, the horned stag joined his fellow, relishing in the ease with which his body relaxed into the grass and loam. Much like Rostislav, Cam lay so that the stallion at his side remained in view, though he was a bit surprised at how there was only about a foot of space between their faces. He decided not to comment on the close proximity, lest he draw unnecessary attention to it and ruin the moment. 

Of course, due to his horns, Camdis was unable to lay his cheek flat against the earth, so he instead settled for resting the weight of his skull upon the curve of his horn, muzzle pressed into the ground while his horn left a small space between his cheek and the grass. The position would muffle his speech, but he didn't mind. 

"I wouldmph suppose you habe an idea fer a comfier fet up, would you?" came his earth-garbled question, eyes smiling where his lips would not.                                                                                      

@Rostislav IM NOT CRYING YOU ARE. THIS IS HIS FIRST FRIEND UGH

Rostislav

He repeats my name, getting a feel for it on his tongue. I watch him in silence, letting my mind be at peace without forcing thought into it. It's nice to not really... think. So often our minds continue on and on, even when we try to rest, when we're exhausted. And OH how often when we are trying to SLEEP! After a moment the red painted stallion imitates me, lying down so that we practically mirror each other. We are most definitely within each other's personal bubbles... That thought comes unbidden, and a chuckle slips out of me. It doesn't seem to bother of either of us particularly much, which is a good sign. 'Friendship. Budding bromance.' The words float around in the back of my mind like little abstract amoeba, bumping into each other and around the walls of my skull.

The only problem with the picture is that Camdis Lohair's horns are too large to let him lay his head down comfortably. I lift my head to examine the predicament with an amused smile on my marred face. Instead of lifting his head to speak clearly, Camdis simply tries to talk with this lips smushed into the dirt. I break out in laughter, the deep chuckling rumbling from my belly. It's broken our silence and our peace, but damn if it isn't the best way to break it. As wonderful as the silent view was, laughter is so good for the soul. (And I could always use a bit of healing.) I shake my head in disbelief. It said something that my companion would risk embarrassing himself to mimic me and continue this.. surprisingly wonderful bonding time. I roll upward a little, leaving my hind legs splayed by my front legs tucking in underneath me.

"Perhaps for your sake, we should sit up." My voice is warm, empty of any mockery or disdain. Then, barely missing a beat, the words jump from my mouth like an uncensored toddler. And certainly, they're the words of a small child on the first day of school. "Let's be friends, eh Camdis?" Not that we knew anything about each other except the other's name. But sometimes that's all you need. A name, and a good sense of belonging. Something about that person that just says... yes, let's do this. A satisfied smile reaches all the way to my eyes. I know in that moment that Damaris would have been proud of me, and though a pang for her makes my chest ache, it's soothed by the knowledge that I just made a real-for-real friend.

Text. Words.
WC: 433 Tag: @Camdis OOC: Yaaaas <33

love, space

Camdis

The laughter that bubbled up in response to Rostislav's own was warm and boisterous, a heady and intoxicating feeling of joy stealing over the stallion as he chuckled into the dirt. Silvery eyes crinkling with the grin that pressed itself to one side of his scarlet stained face, the horned brute tried his best not to inhale too quickly and choke upon an errant grain of dust or grass. Wrinkling his nose, Camdis refused to admit that the position caused the blades of grass that so readily cushioned his body to tickle uncomfortably at his nose and lips. 

His discomfort did not last long, however, for the newest friend in his (surprisingly) growing arsenal merely shifted his muscled bulk and peered down at Camdis with those laughing colorless eyes. With a groan and a chuckle, the horned brute rolled his weight to the side, once again mirroring the chocolate colored male with both his body language and his mannerisms. Gaze drifting once more toward the shimmering lake and the dawn that was breaking over it, the Exile King briefly wondered what happened to his goddess when the burning throne of day was yanked across the sky. 

He knew enough of space and the endless void of universe to understand that night as a scientific phenomenon was unending - where it was day on one piece of the planet, it was night upon another - and behind the glimmering blue skies made up of refracted water droplets lay a sky draped in a night so deep and so infinite that it was a shock to Camdis that anyone would turn their backs upon the entirety of Caligo's all-encompassing being. 

Fools.

Then, his attention was wrenched back to the present and the words that fell from his current company's lips. Brows shooting heavenward, the stallion stared at Rostislav in a mixture of surprise and awe before remembering himself enough to respond. With a vigorous nod and an blindingly bright smile nearly splitting his cheeks, Camdis gave his response, "A capital idea, Rostislav. Now lets shut up and soak up the moment, shall we?" With eyes glimmering and voice dripping with affection, the stallion dragged his gaze back to Denocte's lake, a warmth growing within his chest as the pair watched the world become drenched in gold. 

@Rostislav aaaaand finally you have your reply<333 sorry it took so long my hunni. If you wanna respond w rosti  you totally can, but I'm gonna leave Cam here and then we can go on to our next thread~~

Rostislav

The other stallion mirrored my movements, sitting back up into a more comfortable position. He laughed with me, and I thought for a moment that we must be two peas in a pod. I watch him, his movements, his reactions.. the affection and joy that dance plain as day over his face. He's a charming fellow, and doesn't seem offended at all by my childish outburst. Surprised, perhaps, as his brows tell me with no uncertainty. But his agreement comes swiftly and a broad grin splits my face. Too. Damn. Happy. Well.. not too happy, but enough that I feel warm inside.

He tells me to shut it and enjoy the moment, and, still with a grin on my face, I turn my gaze back to the lake, watching the smooth surface. Soon the sun will rise up to its height in the sky and its glory will blaze across the land. And with it I can take courage that I have gained something this dawn - a new brother. For now, like Reichenbach, I have a new companion.

A new bromance.

OOC: closin' it! excited for their next thread (which must be sooooon) @Camdis

love, space

sid

***STAFF EDIT
@lauren / @rostislav have claimed signos for completing this thread
this thread has now been closed and moved to the IC archives.