Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - Strangeness and Charm

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Dingo [PM] Posts: 82 — Threads: 5
Signos: 0
Inactive Character

U   L   R   I   C

Aim, throw your best shot right at me
'Cause pain, I can take it easily
Did you really think I'd fall to my knees
Just to pray for some sweet simplicity?

Once more, Delumine bustles with festivities. The aroma of sweets hangs heavily in the air, intertwining with the songs carried on the light breeze and the soft murmur of those who had traveled far and wide to delight in their newest celebration. The atmosphere itself was enough to raise one’s spirits, in particular Ulric’s. Although there wasn’t anything really wrong with Delumine’s Warden, surrounding himself with in the company of others for the next several nights, even if only in passing, sounded worlds better than wandering the forests by himself as he did every other night. Relaxation wasn’t something that the roan often indulged in, but for once, the temptation was growing ever stronger.

But celebration or not, he had a duty to uphold. There were visitors to inspect and greet as they entered the heart of Delumine, his critical eye searching each for the most subtle sign of ill-intent. Of course, there had been none so far and there likely wouldn’t be, but Ulric would be damned if he let his guard down. A single moment was all it would take for disaster to strike – it was the Warden’s job to make sure he was the only one worried of such things happening.

Standing near the stage where the action was to be hosted, Ulric stood vigilant, counting the familiar faces amongst the crowd – so far he had spotted the likes of Somnus, Eulalie, Ipomoea and Orion, as well as a couple he didn’t recognize. Foolishly he found himself waiting for the likes of Florentine or Aislinn, those he considered his closest friends outside of his friendship with Somnus, and perhaps even Rostislav, the Denoctean man whom he hadn’t seen since his initial arrival to Delumine. Inhaling deeply, Ulric chases the distracting thoughts from his warrior’s mind and then exhales just as steadily, expelling them completely.

The night had only just begun, and he would need to remain focused throughout it.

ooc - somebody save Ulric and show him how to have fun :'D

space

HISTORY HAS ITS EYES ON YOU

all contact is permitted and encouraged

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 137 — Threads: 30
Signos: 1,020
Night Court Sovereign
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 496 Summer]  |  16.1 hh  |  Hth: 32 — Atk: 28 — Exp: 85  |    Active Magic: Pyromancy  |    Bonded: Solaris (Phoenix)

Just as nearly everyone else had, Israfel had stopped at the quaint little booth hosted by the jovial spotted fellow to claim a flower crown after she had entered the forest. It currently rested upon her brow, a crown of threaded red roses and red lilies, beautiful and elegant and poised in a way that the Sun Daughter had not felt in a long time. This was her first time in Delumine; she knew little to nothing about this land, save that they housed the greatest library and assortment of brilliant minds in all of Novus. No face was familiar, but the sights and the smells alone were to die for.

There was an unnatural beauty about this land, ancient and mysterious and knowing, with its grand forests and stunning masonry. Breathtaking, really. While no artist or skilled in many trades, she could still appreciate the beauty and splendor, and the Dawn Court was excelling in such regards.

The festival attendees were clearly enjoying the celebration; foals flocked merrily through the crowds, disregarding their parent’s warning shouts. Civilian’s mingled among themselves, collecting sporadically through the stands or gathered near the stage to watch the performers and the displays. It was a relaxed affair, fun and enjoyable, but Israfel found that she could not stand still. The warrior in her mind urged her to mingle about, to weave her way through the crowds and throngs of bodies, keeping an eye on a court that was not even her own. She had caught sight of Florentine and Asterion through the crowds but had yet to approach them; the meeting in the Swamp had given her no inclination on where they stood, and she did not wish to dampen their joy.

The Warden moved with a confident sashay, power rippling beneath her pale frame. Atop her shoulders Solaris stood watch, sharp talons digging into the flesh just behind her wing joints. The golden Phoenix was intrigued with the celebration, sharp violet eyes peering at the people as they passed them by with notable curiosity. Solaris had declined a crown, unable to see the point in it; her flames, when lit, was the only crown she needed.

Breaking through a line of people, Israfel sought out the sidelines, feeling overwhelmed by the masses. It was nice to see all of the courts coming together for such an event, even if she hardly recognized any of the faces. Then again, it wasn’t like she had very many friends in the world…

A statuesque figure nearby caught her eye, and vermilion eyes locked on him. She had nearly missed him, blending in with the shade as he was; a roan, watching the celebration with the familiar expression of a warrior. Israfel couldn’t help it; she grinned. Rose-kissed lips twisted upwards as she sidled up next to him, uncaring if her presence was unwanted. Solaris’ head twisted and focused on the blue roan as they came to stand side-by-side, but the Phoenix remained silent.

“… You look like you need a distraction,” she surmised, brilliant vermilion eyes glancing sidelong at the roan’s handsome face, “Guard duty? On a day like today? I didn’t take Dawn to be so paranoid.” Dusk, maybe. Day, definitely. Night? Israfel scoffed. Probably.

@Ulric

space

Please Tag Israfel in all Replies!

Inactive Character

U   L   R   I   C

Time drug on. As far as the festival itself was concerned, the night was still young although the sun had fallen in favor of Calligo’s soothing darkness hours ago. Naturally, it meant that the celebration was liable to grow louder, filled with boisterous laughter and hearty conversation. Every now and then, Ulric would cast a glance towards the stage, a few of the acts fostering a chuckle from the roan while others regaled him in their infatuating tales.

When a figure of ivory and gold sauntered towards him, Ulric assumed they meant only to ask a simple question – where the food stands were set up, how to arrange a time slot for a performance, Somnus’ whereabouts – standard things that the Warden was accustomed to and prepared to answer. However, the impish grin that pulled across the stranger’s rosy lips suggested differently, and while it was somewhat odd, the roan merely cast her an affable smile.

At first, her statement caused more confusion than anything else. He needed a distraction? One dark brow rose above the other, but it was only moments later that he hummed in mild amusement. “I’m not sure if ‘paranoid’ is the correct word,” he expounded as his aurous eyes glanced sidelong into the fierce vermillion of the woman’s own. Cautious, if anything. Were there nobody keeping an eye on things, would Delumine not instead be called foolish?”

His own choice of words caused the smallest of upward curls to tug at his lips, and it was then that Ulric courteously tipped his head to the woman who was standing considerably close. “The name’s Ulric. I serve as Warden for the Dawn Court. Anything I can assist you with?”

ooc - <333 @Israfel

space

Night Court Sovereign
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 496 Summer]  |  16.1 hh  |  Hth: 32 — Atk: 28 — Exp: 85  |    Active Magic: Pyromancy  |    Bonded: Solaris (Phoenix)

Idly the Sun Daughter’s gaze drifted outwards, watching the citizens as they partook in the festivities. It wasn’t her job to guard these borders, but here she was, falling into old habits in a land that was not her own. Still… It would be a shame if something happened during such a peaceful, fun-loving event. Maybe this gruff fellow was onto something? Regardless, she did wonder if this was making her look bad. After all, here she was, visiting Delumine for the first time and was definitely not there to protect Terrastella if it needed it. There were other soldiers stationed within her home borders, of course, but…

Eh.

She couldn’t be everywhere at once, and constantly patrolling or standing guard would drive her into the ground. Surely they wouldn’t fault her for taking some time to herself.

“’Warden’, hm? I’ve yet to meet another one. Glad for you to be the first, Ulric.” Israfel’s gaze turned back to the blue roan, to Ulric, vermilion depths locking onto piercing gold. That somewhat lazy grin pulled once more at rose-tinted lips, knowing and coy. “No. I don’t need any help. Thank you, though. I just needed a break from all of the people and this seemed like a nice little place to rest for a bit.” Then, as an afterthought, she offered an introduction of her own. “I’m Israfel. Isra, if you’d rather. Warden of the Dusk Court.” There was a questioning sound from the large Phoenix upon her spine, and the Daughter of the Sun grinned. “And that’s Solaris. She says ‘hello’.”

The said bird’s eyes nearly rolled, ire mixing with fondness. The Phoenix was growing used to her charge’s nefarious ways and strangely timed mood swings by now. ’I do not. Don’t go putting words in my mouth, child.’ Then, as an afterthought, ’Let the poor sod do his job. Stop bothering him.’ Israfel nearly chuckled, but instead her grin only grew as she offered the lavender-eyed bird a knowing glance.

Two Wardens, standing around and enjoying the shade. It was a nice contrast to the usual mess that her life had become as of late. Florentine had always stated her fondness for Delumine and its inhabitants, saying high praise of Dawn’s Sovereign and his Council. Maybe it was time for Israfel herself to gather her own opinion on them? So far they had not disappointed. Not only was the countryside lovely to look at, but their soldiers were also quite easy on the eyes.

“This is my first time to Delumine. It’s… Nice. Peaceful. Quite beautiful, as well. Florentine speaks highly of everyone here, so I’m glad to finally experience the warm hospitality for myself.”

@Ulric my beloved <3

space

Inactive Character

U   L   R   I   C

A quirk of his brow was the only sign of his surprise as he listened to the ivory woman speak. He had been in Novus for nearly a year now, and yet he had explored so little of what she had to offer. It was a shame, really, and Ulric made a mental note to try and do just that one of these days – if he could bring himself to leave Delumine long enough in the first place. If it meant exploring Dusk, though, fair Florentine’s own home, then maybe he could withstand it.

Looking between Israfel and her companion, Solaris, Ulric dipped his head in greeting and offered them both a pleasant smile. “A pleasure to meet you both, and welcome. I hope you’ve enjoyed what time you’ve spent here so far.” The massive bird perched on the other Warden’s shoulders was impressive and looked like a spitting image of the Dusk Warden, but Ulric couldn’t help but notice the indignant expression wrought across her face. He had never seen anything quite like her and he couldn’t help but to be impressed, and perhaps later, he would question Israfel more on what exactly Solaris was.

Shifting his weight where he stood, Ulric cast his gaze briefly away from his newfound company to take in their surroundings and those who passed them by. Everyone seemed content with the festivities so far, and there was plenty of laughter and cheering to go around. He hoped that it would remain and that the celebration would continue to be a peaceful one, a reminder that they could all come together despite the vast differences between the Courts.

Soon enough, his attention was back on Israfel and he turned his head to regard her personally. His ears pricked at the mention of Florentine and her high praise of Delumine. It wasn’t surprising, honestly, for Ulric couldn’t fathom that the girl had an enemy in the world. Ulric himself thought dearly of her and hoped that he might see her face among the crowd before it was time to tear everything down.

”I’ve met Florentine on a few occasions,” he remarked jovially as he recalled such times, and then added with a hearty chuckle, ”I’m glad I didn’t skew her impression of Delumine.”

Now, it was his turn to ask a question of his own, knowing in the back of his warrior mind that he should excuse himself to his duties but unable to help his curiosity. “How long have you been in Terastella? What’s it like there? Florentine spoke little of it in my company.”

ooc - <3 @Israfel

space

Night Court Sovereign

Israfel offered the roan an upwards quirk of the lips in return to his welcoming. It was formal and polite and all that necessary nonsense when hosting an event, but she didn’t mind. After all, it wasn’t like the Sun Daughter had much of a desire for unnecessary conversation. It really wasn’t her style. Regardless, she felt herself relaxing with a roll of a pale shoulder, the uptight joints in her wings growing lax and drooping more solidly against her sides.

“Florentine’s a blessing. I remember when she was chosen to rule in Rannveig’s place. It was a wise decision; Flora’s done nothing but better Terrastella with her passionate rule.” Once, she might not have agreed. Once, Israfel was certain her fury would have driven her to mutiny, to abandon her post and her Court. It was a moment that now filled her with shame, but things had changed. She had changed. Funny, that even after dying and being reborn once already, one would only continue to change.

Ulric’s inquiry caused her to raise a brow, and the weight of her burning stare redirected to focus on the militaristic roan. “Uh, let’s see… I arrived last summer, I believe. Just before fall settled.” A whole year. It was hard to believe. A lot had happened in such a short amount of time, and Israfel couldn’t help but wonder what the next year would bring. Happiness? Grief? It was hard to tell.

At the topic of what Terrastella was like, however, the Warden’s easy-going smile melted into a thoughtful frown. How could she summarize the typical tranquil peace of her homeland? Or the now mounting tension between Dusk and Night? Then again, that was all politics, and Israfel did her best to stay far, far away from such drowsy topics. “It’s… Beautiful, if I’m being honest. I’m proud to call Terrastella my home. It’s a different type of beauty than Delumine, that’s for sure, but… It’s peaceful, in its own ways. The sound of the ocean crashing against the cliffs, the sweet smell of the prairie grass… I can easily find myself getting lost in the world when I’m on patrol.” Then, the Sun Daughter’s rosy pink nose wrinkled in disgust. “… I’m not a fan of the Tinea Swamp, though. It’s far too muggy for my liking, and the stench. I can’t stand it.”

Deciding to needle a bit of information out of the Delumine Warden, Israfel found herself grinning lazily once more. In an action that could have been perceived as completely innocent or teasingly coy, the pale shield-maiden gave a flick of her tail, the rich golden ends swatting against Ulric’s hocks. “And you? Have you lived in Dawn your whole life?”

@Ulric

space

Inactive Character

U   L   R   I   C

With keen interest Ulric listened as the fire-mare spoke of her Sovereign, the fondness in which she spoke of her not lost on him. He didn’t know who Rannveig was nor what the land had been like prior, but the roan could only assume that with Florentine now at the helm of Terrastella, those that called it home could have no one better suited for the role. It was the very same way he viewed Somnus here in Delumine.

Curious eyes of molten gold remained transfixed on Israfel the further she continued, but every now and then, the Warden reminded himself to take a lingering glance towards their esteemed guests. Their safety was something he would assure, for now and for always, but judging by the way lighthearted laughter and the jovial murmur of voices filled the air, Ulric was certain the festival would pass in peace.

His eyes settled once more on the vermillion hue of Israfel’s own as she continued.

She’d been in Novus no longer than he, and the passionate way in which she spoke of Terrastella only drove him to want to travel there even more. Perhaps soon, he would, given he wasn’t needed in Delumine for an extended period of time. “A swamp?” He asked suddenly, quirking a brow towards the woman of flame as a soft grin tugged at the corners of his dark lips. “I… can’t say I’ve ever been in one before. But it sounds like that might be a good thing.” A soft chuckle followed his words, and he continued. ”Everything else sounds like something different entirely. I’ll have to plan a visit sometime soon.”

Now, the question was turned on him and Ulric hummed softly beneath his breath as he formulated his answer. “No,” he responded with a shake of his head, ”I’ve only been here just over a year. I found Novus at the peak of summer last year.” An image of his mountain home flashed briefly in the back of his mind, and had he lacked the discipline he now possessed, he might’ve frowned. Rather than speak of his desolate birthplace, Ulric purged the sour memories from his mind and spoke instead of his first true home. “I’m from a village called Adoroth. Novus is like a whole other world from it.”

In a twist of fate, another of Delumine’s warriors approached just as the words had passed from his lips, relieving him of his duty for a short time. Any other time Ulric would’ve insisted he remain, or at the very least move to another post in order to keep watch, but… any other time, he didn’t have an enthralling stranger standing beside him whom he wished to learn more about. Exchanging a word of thanks to his fellow serviceman, Ulric stepped away from his post and heaved a steady breath as he looked again to Israfel, out to those gathered before the stage, then back again.

”… Well?” He inquired, that smile on his face blossoming into a grin, ”If you got nothin’ else planned… Wanna check out the entertainment?”

ooc - @Israfel Ulric out :D Thought this was a nice way to end it??

space

Night Court Sovereign

The Sun Daughter only chortled, vermillion eyes glittering in mischief.

“You aren’t missing much, big guy,” she stated teasingly, meaning the Tinea Swamp, but she also found the choice of words somewhat humorous due to the fact that she stood a full head taller than Ulric. In regards to the swamp, however… It just wasn’t for her, yet try as she might, she seemed to be the only insane soul willing to patrol it. They needed to get more of the Ilati to patrol their own sodden terrain, but Israfel hadn’t yet seen one member doing such a thing. Then again, she really hadn’t met many Ilati… “One of these days I’m probably going to drown in quicksand or something.”

Did the Tinea Swamp even have quicksand? She didn’t know. Ah, well. Hopefully she wouldn’t ever find out. “But, if I don’t die of quicksand before then, hit me up whenever you come. I’ll give you the grand tour, swamp and all.”

A pale ear stayed locked in Ulric’s direction as the blue roan went about explaining his own backstory. It was a familiar tale, and one that she was accustomed to hearing; a stranger finding a new land, settling down, and building a new life for themselves. She understood. After all, Israfel had experienced that very thing, herself. The ivory shield-maiden held her tongue as she listened, however, not wanting to appear rude to someone who had been nothing but kind and patient with her. It wasn’t like Ulric had asked her to sidle up next to him and thrust her company in his face.

Adorath… She had never heard of the village before. What was it like? All she had known had been Helovia, the nothingness of death, and now her life in Novus. She wondered more about his history and this quaint little village, but before she could even ask, another Dawn Court warrior was approaching. Israfel watched him with a cursory frown upon rosy-tinted lips, wondering what he wanted, but to her surprise the other guard had simply come to relieve the Warden from his post.

A sly grin crossed the ivory woman’s lips then, stealing away her previously thoughtful frown, and she nodded. “That’s the best suggestion I’ve heard all day, big guy,” Israfel stated with a grin, letting herself step forward and move past him with a teasing flick of a tail in his direction as she passed him by, “I could use a drink first, though. Care to indulge in one with me?”

They were strangers and barely knew one another, and yet… He felt familiar. There was something about him, be it the way that he held himself or the look in his handsome, golden eyes, that called to her, and Israfel found herself inexplicably drawn.

@Ulric

space

Isra’s exit post. :D