Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Fight: Judged  - lost shores and reveries

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline bruiser [PM] Posts: 99 — Threads: 13
Signos: 1,000
Inactive Character

Fight Type: Battle!
Prize: Experiance, mainly, maybe some respect if Theo does well
Contact Made: yes!

Character #1: @Theodosia
Bonded: nope
Magic: nope
Armor: nope
Weapons: nope
Current Health: 10
Current Attack: 10
Current Experience: 10

Character #2: @Marisol
Bonded: nope
Magic: nope
Armor: she's got a leg cuff but i think that's actually an accessory
Weapons: nope
Current Health: 10
Current Attack:  10
Current Experience: 13

HE MOTIONED ME TO THE SKY,
She feels… settled, after her detour to Veneror Peak, even if she had received no actual reply to her prayers. She hadn’t really expected to receive one, after all; Gods were busy creatures with little time for mortals (or their half-mortal daughters). Even so, she comes away from the Peak with a clear head and bright eyes, ready and eager to begin her training upon the Steppes. How could she not be excited? This was what she had been training for, even if she hadn’t known it at the time -- this was her purpose, now.

She inhales the soft, sweet scent of the nearby mountain flowers as she awaits the Commander’s arrival, her eagerness having perhaps lent itself to an arrival slightly earlier than the stated noon. She takes it as time to survey the open field that appears to be the designated battling area, testing the loose dirt beneath her hooves and eying the open space above the field that she’s sure their battle will migrate to eventually. A soft breeze tugs at her hair, and she turns her face up to the sun as she basks in the warm autumn rays, knowing that they’ll soon be replaced by winter’s cruel chill.

While her pose may be relaxed, she is not -- one ear is perpetually cocked forward, listening for the approach of her Commander, and there is a tenseness to her muscles that reveals a quiet state of alertness. 

It wouldn’t do to be caught unaware on her first day of training, after all.
I HEARD HEAVEN & THE THUNDER CRY.

Summary: Theodosia is awaiting Marisol's arrival for their agreed upon spar, slightly earlier than noon as she doesn't want to be late. She's enjoying the autumn sun, but still alert and listening for Marisol's arrival.

Attack Used:
Attack(s) Left:
Block Used:
Block(s) Left:
Item(s) Used: none

Response Deadline: 07/05/18
Tags: @Marisol, @kay, @Sid, @inkbone, @Lauren, @Sparrow

Played by Offline RB [PM] Posts: 277 — Threads: 28
Signos: 180
Inactive Character

i opened my mouth and the night poured in-

Earlier that morning, Marisol had paused at a creek winding through the Susurro Fields to watch her own reflection in the calm, silver waters, as if anything might’ve changed since the last time she caught a glimpse of herself in a mirror, a pond, some strangely polished glass.

Of course it hadn’t. When she’d glanced down at the water, what looked back at her was the same hard-lined face she’d seen since she was a child: dark as pitch, flecked with tiny silver scars. The same gray eyes, sharp and almost unnaturally piercing, even when warped by brief, infinitesimal ripples in the surface of the stream. The same bristling, close-cropped mane she’d worn since adolescence. It was deeply unsettling, to see that for all her efforts to change over the past years, she hadn’t changed at all outwardly, and that aged reflection sucked her in for much longer than she’d expected, until the purples of the dawn had faded into pink, then day-blue; it was only when the sun began to warm her back that, mildly surprised by how much time had passed since she left the Court at dawn, Marisol had shaken a fine layer of pollen from her feathers, readjusted the stripes on her wings, and again set in motion on her trek to the Steppe. 

Now the sun is high in the sky, shedding noon-bright rays, and Marisol climbs the slope to the Steppe with peaceable confidence. It is a path she has walked many times before, one that is traversed now with the  sort of easy, exact steps one can walk only with experience on their side. Dust flares around her in translucent clouds. Pebbles tumble down the side of the Steppe as she picks her way upward. Moments later, she catches sight of Theodosia, a slender silhouette backlit by the overhead sun, and amusement flutters through the Commander’s chest as she wonders just how long the Cadet has been waiting.

Just ahead stands Theodosia, facing away from her. Her stance is tense, obviously prepared, but she is listening forward, not behind, and that is her mistake. Quiet, nimble, moving with an almost catlike grace, Marisol leaps up the very last bit of the slope onto the flat expanse of the Steppe, digs her heels into the dirt, and tears off toward the girl at full speed. That furious pace closes the distance between them within seconds, and as Mari rockets toward her, she angles her trajectory but doesn’t slow, aiming to crash her shoulder (and the full weight of her body) against Theodosia’s ribs in an effort to throw her off balance and into the soft dirt.

The sun beats down from overhead, and before they even collide, Marisol can feel her heart rate pick up, her pulse flare loudly under her skin, her nerves start to buzz. It’s a feeling she knows well - a feeling she might even love. 

[Image: mari_by_jek_yll_dcfggek_by_beccazw-dcfglse.png]

Summary: Marisol enters the Steppe at Theodosia's back, then rushes her from behind, aiming to ram her shoulder into Theo's side and throw her off balance.

Attack Used: 1
Attack(s) Left: 1
Block Used:
Block(s) Left:
Item(s) Used: n/a

Response Deadline:7/2/18
Tags: @Theodosia, @kay, @Sid, @inkbone, @Lauren, @Sparrow

[Image: ddg6quy-9d15dab5-339c-4b09-8b57-20a99fda...jvUop12efQ]

Inactive Character

She thinks she is prepared, but in reality she has allowed her confidence to be her own downfall -- only the sound of hooves against rocks behind her warns her, but even then it is not enough. She begins to turn, nostrils flaring and eyes wide, only to take the full force of Marisol’s charge to her shoulder. It throws her to the soft dirt, the impact driving the air from her lungs even as she rolls quickly, finding her feet and leaping up in order to face whatever the Commander might throw at her next. 

Stupid! She chides herself, both shoulders throbbing now as if to underline the sentiment. Why had she been so sure that Marisol would approach head-on, when in hindsight that was the most obvious route of attack? Elysium had trained her better than that.

She launches herself into a sweeping, jarring trot when she finds her footing, gritting her teeth against the protestations of her bruised muscles and keeping her eyes firmly fixed on the commander before her. She traces a half-circle around the commander before cutting suddenly, her hind legs propelling her towards Marisol with a grim smile across her face. There’s a moment where she seems to hang in the air, rebelling against gravity, and then her hooves are cutting into the ground beneath her -- and her jaws are reaching for the soft socket where wing met shoulder, where she would aim to cripple in a real fight.

Not that she’s holding back much anyways; if anything at all.

Summary: Marisol hits true and sends Theo into the dirt, where she ends up rolling and scrambling to her feet. She half-circles around Mari before suddenly turning and leaping for her, trying to bite where wing and shoulder meet.

Attack Used: 1
Attack(s) Left: 1
Block Used:
Block(s) Left:

Response Deadline: 07/08/18 07/05/18 i cant math man

Inactive Character

As much as she genuinely likes Theo, Mari still finds some intense, feral pleasure as her shoulder crashes into the cadet’s side, the pressure from the impact so strong it radiates through Marisol’s front leg even as she stumbles away. As effective as the attack was (when the Commander watches Theodosia tumble through the soft dirt, she almost smiles, feeling a flicker of pride at her success), it’s also difficult to rebound from, and Mari has to scramble for enough of a foothold to stop in the soft dirt. A brief anti-gravity rises in her stomach as she scrabbles for stability. Her momentum carries her a little farther than expected, but she manages to stop, square her feet, tuck her wings, and raise her head in a defensive stance before Theo can finish the half-circle she’s started to walk with an almost predatory stride.

Her heart beats a strange tattoo in her chest, loud and quick and full of adrenaline. Anticipation buses just under the skin. It takes every ounce of self-control not to lash out, but it is with practiced composure that she is able to remain in place, watchful and preparatory.

Mari’s sharp gray gaze follows the path Theo tracks in the loose, dark dirt. Leftover impact reverberates through her muscles like water rippled by the drop of a stone. What next? The cadet’s trajectory seems endless, an infinite loop around and around the Commander, the track of a predator meant to exhaust its prey rather than pounce; Marisol watches her every steps, attentive, intense, angling herself ever so slightly to follow the arc her combatant is walking.

It’s this careful examination that saves her from being crippled. Theo rushes her with startling speed, a blur of white against the clear-noon sky, and while Mari is not nearly quick enough to avoid the blow, the fear and adrenaline that overcomes her when she sees where the cadet’s teeth are aimed force her into action. Immediately, she flares a wing out and down, covering the joint that connects it to her shoulder with a thick layer of bone and feathers; Theo’s aim hits true, and though it doesn’t sink all the way into the place where limb melds to muscle, it does scrape away a layer of feathers and forces a squeal of surprise from Mari’s lips.

Fight back, she chides herself, act quick, you stupid girl - Wing stinging, head clouded briefly with pain, she snaps her head sideways and reaches out to sink her teeth into the place where Theodosia’s mane meets her neck, then half-rears upward, hoping to tear away a chunk of hair or skin and cloud her reflexes with the force of discomfort; it seems only fitting, payback for the gauze of black that bleeds into Marisol’s vision at the bright pricking in her wing, then back out again as she attempts to regain her balance.

Summary: Marisol uses her wing to protect the joint that connects it to her shoulder, but Theo still hits and sinks a bite into the wing, scraping away feathers and drawing blood. Before Theo can run away, Mari aims to bite into the crest of her neck and tear upward, taking hair and hopefully skin.

Attack Used: 2
Attack(s) Left: 0
Block Used:
Block(s) Left:

Response Deadline:7/6/18

Inactive Character

Despite the fact that this is merely a spar, neither combatant is willing to hold back, to seem soft in the other’s eyes. They are both apex predators in their prime, their muscles lean and conditioned by a lifetime of training, and the adrenaline rushing through their veins doesn’t lie. She almost doesn’t notice the ache in her battered shoulders as her teeth clamp down on flesh and feathers, the metallic taste of blood her reward for such a risky maneuver, and a sense of pride washes over her when she hears the squeal of pain that leaves the commander’s lips.

She is, perhaps, too focused upon spitting feathers and blood from her mouth -- her own surprised squeal rings through the battlegrounds as teeth latch upon her crest and yank, sending bright ripples of pain throughout her body. The blood flows freely from the wound, staining vibrant crimson against her pale coat, and the whites of her eyes show as she pivots around to face Marisol. There is determination in those lavender eyes, stubbornness in the grit of her jaw, and a wild sort of recklessness as she leaps once again into the unknown.

This time, she aims to crash her shoulder into Marisol while the other mare is still off-balance, knowing that they’re too closely quartered at the moment to do any real damage but seeking a temporary upper hand that will allow her to catch her breath. She is heedless of the black pinpricks that dance before her eyes, of the pain that plays along each damaged nerve, caught up in the battle before her and her blind resolve that she must impress the commander.

Summary: While Theo is distracted by spitting feathers from her mouth, Mari manages to latch onto her crest and pull a pretty decent chunk out, which will scar. In return, Theo pivots and basically throws herself towards Marisol while Mari is (hopefully) still off-balance, aiming to knock her down and gain some space / time to breath and regroup.

Block Used:
Block(s) Left:

Response Deadline: 7/10/18 -- RB okayed me being late

Inactive Character

Dust mottles the air around them, settles on their skin in a fine white film; Marisol has to choke down the immediate cough that threatens her as she inhales it, making her lungs burn until they throb in her chest, as loud and painful as her accelerated heartbeat. The smog of swirling dirt and the blackness brought on by the ache in her wing make it hard to see, but Mari narrows her gaze and steels her focus, as stubborn as ever.

Her teeth finally find purchase on Theo’s pale skin. There is the familiar satisfaction of biting deep, knowing her attack has hit its mark - and even when the overwhelming taste of iron floods her tongue, so thick and visceral it’s almost nauseating, satisfaction comes along with it. It thrills in her chest like an electric impulse. Tearing away skin and hair, Mari hears the cadet’s squeal of pain and revels in it, feral and violent as ever in the heat of battle.

Finally she lets her bite loosen and swivels away, side-stepping at a furious pace to increase the distance between them. Both of them are on the warpath now - wolf girls fueled only by a need to win - and Mari is not dumb enough to ignore the possibility of another attack. instead, her forces herself to remain on high alert, stone gaze flickering watchfully, nerves prickling under her skin, hooves dug into the soil and shoulders squared to keep her balance. Despite the adrenaline flooding her veins, the intensity of being caught in the middle of a battle, Marisol is still and collected. She is willfully statuesque. She is a soldier and nothing else - 

That is all she knows.

That overwhelming part of her, the soldier, recognizes Theodosia’s attack before it even really comes. The way she skips a step in the dirt, turning a tight circle to face the Commander again. Her strides extend, almost like she’s about to fly - fast as a stone skipping water and just as furious, the distance between them closes in milliseconds. But quick as ever, Marisol finds her footing and ducks forward, scraping away from Theo with liquid grace so that the younger mare’s shoulder only bumps her flank, escaping with the smallest of stumbles.

The world comes into focus around her - dust, sunlight, ichor and salt. It is all too real against the just-gone blur of their battle. Heaving for breath, bloodied and bruised, Mari finally scrapes to a stop. Her muscles shake, sweat froths silver against her dark skin, her breath burns inside her chest, but still satisfaction glimmers deep in her gray eyes, and when she raises her chin to appraise Theodosia, her expression is marked by a tightly wound but genuine smile. 

Summary: As Theo turns to knock her over, Mari ducks low and darts forward quickly so that Theo's shoulder only clips her flank instead of knocking her over. and fin!

Block Used: 1
Block(s) Left: 0

Response Deadline: n/a

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
sid

THEOSDOSIA vs MARISOL

@TheodosiaTotal: 73/100
OFFENSIVE: Creativity: 24/30, Realism: 19/25
DEFENSIVE: Creativity: 10/15, Realism:  10/15
WRITING: Creativity: 4/5, Realism: 3/5, Mechanics: 3/5
BEGINNING STATS: Exp 10, Health 10, Attack 10

Creativity: originality, imagination, and attention to detail.
Realism: mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your health and attack
Overall writing: creativity, realism, and writing mechanics (spelling, grammar, punctuation, run-on sentences, etc.)

• FIRST POST (intro)
    • I really like Theodosia’s entrance, how she’s simultaneously relaxed and ready. And her reasoning for being there fits her mood.

• SECOND POST
    • Defensive:  When horses run, they’re typically pretty loud; I’d expect Theo to have a bit more time to react, but since she also wasn’t really expecting the attack to come from behind, I can see this happening just as well. I would have liked to see her explain the hit a bit more; if the air is being knocked out of her, I’m not sure she’d have been able to roll or jump up as quickly as she did!
    • Offensive: A pretty plain attack, but I like how the language you chose pretties it up; the sudden cut, and the way she “hangs in the air” before planting and using her teeth rather than her hooves ups the creativity aspect.
    • Mechanics: Some long sentences again, but it actually reads in a bit of a rushed way and seems to tie in pretty well to her mood, and anxiously awaiting the next attack.
    • Notes: I do like this post overall, it reads easy and plays true to her mood and experience.

• THIRD POST
    • Defensive:  This was the final post, and there wasn’t any official block used; I did like reading through her reactions to things, but I think she could have spent at least partial blocks in this post or the last? Especially if she’s described as a seasoned warrior, I think she’d have been able to maneuver her body a little better.
    • Offensive: I’m not sure how well this attack would actually play out; they’re so close together, I can’t see her gaining enough momentum to crash back into Marisol. I think engaging her with her teeth may have been more realistic, but I like that she’s trying to take advantage of Marisol being off-balance!
    • Mechanics: A couple of awkward sentences threw me off, that seemed choppy and didn’t seem to flow like the rest of the post.
    • Notes: The “lifetime of training” throws me off, since Theo is only 3 and Marisol only 4, and Theo only has  a base level of EXP and is here to train/learn. I do like that she focuses more on her attack and defense than on her ache; it’s as if she’s entered survival mode and I enjoy seeing it come into play. Overall, this was a fun battle to read and I liked reading more into Theodosia! I haven’t gotten a chance to read much from her, so this was a fun insight into her. c:

@MarisolTotal: 80/100
OFFENSIVE: Creativity: 28/30, Realism: 21/25
DEFENSIVE: Creativity: 12/15, Realism: 11/15
WRITING: Creativity: 3/5, Realism: 3/5, Mechanics: 2/5
BEGINNING STATS: Exp 13, Health 10, Attack 10

Creativity: originality, imagination, and attention to detail.
Realism: mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your health and attack
Overall writing: creativity, realism, and writing mechanics (spelling, grammar, punctuation, run-on sentences, etc.)

• FIRST POST
    • Defensive: N/A
    • Offensive: I think it’s creative that she comes from behind; perhaps a dirtier way of fighting, but Marisol seems to make it work in her favor well enough. I’m not sure how she can angle for her ribs without doing some sort of arc, but I like her intent.
    • Mechanics: I found several long sentences that could have been broken up into smaller ones, but the post flows really nicely and easily!
    • Notes: Ahh I really like Marisol’s entrance, how she sneaks up on her and then charges; it’s a good intro to a training, and definitely less common than the usual “hi hello let’s fight”.

• SECOND POST
    • Defensive:  Based on the intentness she watches Theo with, I like that she’s prepared to take on her attack. I’m not sure however why she allows Theo to actually sink into her wing; there are so many other ways she could have lifted her wing to prevent the attack altogether, and allowed Theodosia to miss.
    • Offensive: I’d have liked to see more explanation on her attack; it seems vague and hard to follow along. I appreciate that Marisol is following her instinct, but I’d have liked to see you step back from her emotions and describe it a bit more clearly! Since they’re in such close proximity, I think her attack on Theo’s crest is nice and realistic, and I enjoy her commentary/talking herself into fighting back.
    • Mechanics: The second-to-last paragraph is hard to read; it seems more to ramble and jump around than follow a cohesive thought, and it left me a bit confused as to what was actually going on.  And the last paragraph is a single sentence, that easily could have been broken up into 4 or more.
    • Notes: I love her commentary here in the beginning, how she watches Theodosia and analyzes her with a  practiced eye. She plays really true to her character, and I’m loving this bit of instinctual feel I’m getting from her.

• THIRD POST
    • Defensive: I’m not sure how effective ducking forward would be; there’s only so low a horse can get! I think ducking to the side would have been a bit more realistic, but I like the way you played out your dodge.
    • Offensive: There’s no new attack here, but I like seeing her reaction to the hit Theo took!
    • Mechanics: Some more long sentences that read in a somewhat anxious manner, I’ve had to go back and reread a few times to understand her emotions and actions. If I wasn’t having to stop and judge, it would have read pretty easily I think, if a little vague! Also a couple of typos, using “her” instead of “she”.
    • Notes: I have really enjoyed seeing Marisol’s feral side here; she’s been consistent throughout the entire battle, and I really appreciate that!

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
sid

DICE ROLL

Battles will temporarily only take 1 staff member to judge until all of staff have time again, so onto the dice roll! <3

@Theodosia:
73 (battle total) + 20 (HTH + ATK) = 93
93 * 1.10 (10 EXP) = 102 (rounded down)

@Marisol:
80 (battle total) + 20 (HTH + ATK) = 100
100 * 1.13 (13 EXP) = 113 (no rounding)

102 + 113 = 215

1-102 = THEODOSIA, 103-215 = MARISOL

#1: 21 (THEODOSIA)
#2: 196 (MARISOL)
#3: 8 (THEODOSIA)
#4: 46 (THEODOSIA)
#5: 195 (MARISOL)

proof of dice roll.
@Theodosia wins.

All damage taken in the thread is still applicable and cannot be retconned!

Participate in a Battle or Challenge: +1 EXP to Theodosia, +1 EXP to Marisol
Win a Battle: +1 additional EXP to Theodosia
Total: +2 EXP to Theodosia, +1 EXP to Marisol

Theodosia's and Marisol's official experience has been updated to reflect these changes, so there's no need to post in the Experience Updates thread!

This thread is now locked and been archived.