Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - With Fingernails that Shine like Justice

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 137 — Threads: 30
Signos: 1,020
Night Court Sovereign
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 496 Summer]  |  16.1 hh  |  Hth: 32 — Atk: 28 — Exp: 85  |    Active Magic: Pyromancy  |    Bonded: Solaris (Phoenix)

Israfel

Israfel didn’t know what the fuck happened between Atreus and the Sovereign of the Dawn Court. All she knew was that they had ‘history’, and she had a pretty good idea that it was a piss poor history judging by King Somnus’ expression upon spotting the roan poison master. The entire affair had been full of tension and she had wanted to excuse herself and duck out of there. Still, her job there was done. Asterion had told her to ensure that Atreus and the assorted supplies arrived in Delumine safely, and she had done just that. For now? Well…

She wasn’t a healer. Whether or not Atreus could help the King’s son wasn’t a burden that fell on her shoulders, but she did hope that the little tyke would make it. Children should be spared such travesty and pain, after all. There was nothing like facing your mortality at such a young, frail age. Regardless, she had other, more pressing things on her list to do during her visit to Delumine, and that involved a certain blue roan Warden.

“Hey, gorgeous. Remember me?” Cocksure, confident, sensual. Oh, Israfel knew what she wanted, and this man fit almost every category. Shame they hardly knew each other, but maybe that would change.

It hadn’t been hard to find him. With Solaris’ keen eyes searching from the skies above, Israfel had managed to find Ulric just outside of the citadel courtyard. It was early and the stallion appeared to be preparing for some kind of patrol, judging by the looks of it, when the Sun Daughter came sashaying up on his offside, her steps confident and assertive. It was with that greeting that she announced her presence if he hadn’t heard her approach, a wolfish grin spread wide upon rose-kissed lips. Vermilion eyes flashed with intrigue, roaming the stallion’s features before coming to stop. With one pale ear quirked forward in his direction, Israfel went on.

“I guess I’m here for a while. Mind if I join you this morning?”

x - x

@Ulric face <3

Please Tag Israfel in all Replies!

Played by Offline Dingo [PM] Posts: 82 — Threads: 5
Signos: 0
Inactive Character

Ulric

I may not live to see our glory
But I will gladly join the fight

It wasn’t like Ulric to miss out on the one time drama was stirred up within the Court – you know, aside from the massive fire that had nearly destroyed it.

With the flames finally doused and no longer a threat, Ulric had celebrated in the form of a proper amount of rest. The roan Warden was typically long gone by the time the sun peeked out of the horizon, walking a section of Delumine to assure its borders were clear and safe. Ever since his arrival, they always had been until the night the fires started, which if anything, had only cemented his belief that he needed to be out as often as possible to make sure it didn’t happen again.

Stepping out of the citadel opposite of the main entrance, Ulric stretched his hind legs out behind himself one by one, arching his neck and spreading both wings as far as they would go to get any kinks out. A part of him felt guilty for getting such a late start, but at the same time, Eulalie’s words echoed in the back of his mind to try taking better care of himself. For once, he finally had taken himself into consideration, but he knew that it wouldn’t last.

He hadn’t gotten far from the citadel when he heard movement from behind, and half-expecting it to be Somnus or one of their soldiers, Ulric opened his mouth to speak but could get no more than a syllable out when his voice abandoned him. Confusion, followed by surprise leaked into his golden eyes as he realized just who he was looking at. A grin slowly crept across his dark lips and he made a breathless, disbelieving sort of noise, eyes following her movement as she made his way to him.

“How could I?” He remarked with a muted chuckle, “You saved me from a soul-sucking evening.” When she reached him, he started forward again, his hooves automatically picking out the worn path he had created over the seasons. One ear tilted toward her as he listened, that confusion from earlier daring to rear its head once again.

“I never mind a bit of company, but to what do I owe the pleasure, Israfel? I don’t imagine you came all this way just to take a walk with me.” Not that he’d be complaining.

e-cho . huniidue . @tag

@Israfel butt

HISTORY HAS ITS EYES ON YOU

all contact is permitted and encouraged

Night Court Sovereign
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 496 Summer]  |  16.1 hh  |  Hth: 32 — Atk: 28 — Exp: 85  |    Active Magic: Pyromancy  |    Bonded: Solaris (Phoenix)

Israfel

She chuckled, a breathy, sensual sound. “I hardly consider an event like that as a soul-sucking evening, but then again, I hadn’t been the one on duty.”

The Music and Arts Festival almost felt like a lifetime ago, given all of the crap Novus had been thrown into in the months following such a jovial, peaceful event. What she wouldn’t give to go back to it, but time manipulation had never been her gift. There wasn’t any point in wasting her energy to wish otherwise, either, and so she just grinned broadly at the blue roan Warden with a knowing look shining bright within vermilion depths and pressed on.

Unceremoniously, she fell into step with him, golden hooves guiding her pale body effortlessly across the well-worn paths of patrols long traveled. The scent of smoke was like a perfume on the breeze, warm and welcome to one such as herself, although she had an inkling that to Ulric, the scent was probably wretched and unwanted. Between a raging wildfire or unrelenting thunderstorms and landslides, she knew which one she would pick, but that didn’t necessarily mean her opinions were mirrored in the mind of her morning companion.

Arching a brow and casting the roan a sidelong glance of curious vermilion, Israfel hummed once beneath her breath before answering. “You’re right. I didn’t… Although seeing you again was definitely a good incentive to join in on this trip.” Her answer was stated in a sarcastic, deadpan sort of way, but there was an obvious truth to her statement, especially when spoken alongside her mirthful, teasing grin. “I came as part of the medical envoy from Terrastella, to help King Somnus’ son. Turns out our creepy Champion of Healing and His Majesty have history.” Or something. Israfel wasn’t entirely too sure, because a lot of the conversation had been vague and had flown right above her head.

Whatever the history shared between those two had been, it hadn’t been a good one, judging by King Somnus’ lack of joy upon their initial reception. Regardless, Israfel did hope that Atreus could help the kid, but that wasn’t her responsibility.

“So, tell me, Ulric… Anything new or exciting in your life since we last talked? Maybe a lady-friend? Or, a man-friend, if you’re so inclined?” It was easy to tease Ulric, almost strangely so, giving that they really didn’t know each other well. Still, Israfel felt lighthearted in a way that she hadn’t in literal seasons. It was nice to just live and breathe and ignore the rest of the world, and with Ulric, with his dashing good looks and rogueish golden eyes, ignoring the world was the easiest damn thing she had ever done.

x - x

@Ulric face

Inactive Character

Ulric

Her response wasn’t to be expected, yet there it was. It caused him to slow in his step for a split second, hardly noticeable before he continued down the old beaten path, ears tipped attentively to Israfel and offering her a fraction of visual attention whilst still keeping an eye on their surroundings.

Their lighthearted conversation veered abruptly in another direction, causing the Warden’s brow to furrow as he regarded her more completely. The fact she had come as a part of a medical envoy was good news, but the fact that there seemed to be bad blood between Terrastella’s healer and Somnus was unsettling. The idea of something ever happening to his King and best friend was a great discomfort, a nightmare, but to have it occur in his absence was hellish. “Creepy?” He asked, a half-assed attempt to make light of a potentially disturbing topic. “What makes you say that? What could I have possibly missed out on this morning?”

In a manner that was maddeningly unsurprising, she slipped back into casual conversation, or… what she might consider casual, at least. Ulric exhaled audibly, halfway between a scoff and a breath of exasperation, but when he looked to her, he failed to keep the curl of a smile from his lips even as he self-consciously considered her bold question. “I, ah, well… no,” he responded with a shake of his head, this time breathing in deep. “I don’t have anyone like that. You could say I’m married to my work over anything or anyone else – but I don’t mind it so much. Even if it can get a bit monotonous.”

Without missing a beat, he cocked his head and settled his amber gaze upon her, his train of thought slowly derailing from the purpose he was even out here in the first place. He couldn’t deny that she had a pretty face, and even more so, a fiery attitude that was frustratingly alluring. “What about you? Anyone waiting for you back in Terrastella? Surely so.”

e-cho . huniidue . @tag

@Israfel butt

Night Court Sovereign

Israfel

Israfel arched a pale brow and gave Ulric a look. “Yeah, creepy. I don’t know, he hasn’t ever done anything unwarranted, but sometimes he’s just so damn unsettling. Atreus. Apparently he’s King Somnus’ brother.” Which had been a somewhat startling revelation, and there had definitely been some bad blood boiling between the two of them. Still, once again, it wasn’t her problem. Hopefully Asterion wouldn’t have a problem with that should the sovereign of Terrastella discover it.

Letting the topic drop because honestly, it wasn’t important at the time being, Israfel hummed as they continued along on patrol, leaving the citadel gradually behind them. Above them, Solaris soared lazily in the sky, keeping an eye out with her keen gaze as the two gossiped and caught up. For the time being Israfel was grateful for the distance, as right now all she wanted was to engage Ulric in conversation and get to know him just a little bit more.

As he spoke, she listened, an ivory ear twisted in his direction. There was a flicker of something twisting in her gut when he admitted that there was no in his life or warming his bed, a trace of satisfaction and pleasure. How coincidental. Being married to one’s line of work was a sentiment that she could understand, but it was by no means unwanted. The Sun Daughter quite enjoyed her job as Warden of Terrastella. It was definitely more responsibility than anything she carried while alive in Helovia, but it was a good distraction from the more pressing things in life.

Offering Ulric a coy little grin, the gilded woman shrugged a slender, alabaster shoulder, letting the down of golden-marked feathers brush against the roan’s own wing. “How unfortunate for the other ladies, but how lucky for me.” Maybe she was laying it on a bit thick, but there was no way in hell she would let something as trivial as insecurity stop her. Israfel had died before, combusting in a pillar of flames. There was no way she would hold back in this new life, grasped by an altered sort of cocksure confidence. Maybe it was closer to arrogance, but… Ah. Semantics.

“There’s no one waiting for me back in Terrastella, and I like it that way. I’m a bit of a free spirit. Other than my duties as Warden, I enjoy the freedom that my position gives me. When we aren’t all drowning in floodwater, of course.” That same little playful grin grew into a full smile, the shield maiden’s vermilion eyes sparking in the morning light as her gaze remained rooted upon Ulric. The smile, however, faded as she moved on. “… Did Delumine lose anyone in the fires? Asterion had us bring seeds to help replant the vegetation in the area, and I saw the forest on our way in. I wish I could’ve been here to help, but duty called back home.”

But honestly, Israfel would have much rather fought wildfires than floods and large holes opening up in the earth. Fucking Vespera…
x - x

@Ulric face

Inactive Character

Ulric

An icy cold hand of fear clenched his heart the moment his name fell from Israfel’s lips, and for a moment his lungs refused to draw breath. Atreus… that was who had come to tend to young Regis? Nothing could keep the glimmer of panic from his eyes, however brief it may be. Something told him he should turn around and go back to keep vigilant watch over the ruling family, but somethingelse told him that Somnus was more than capable of dealing with his cur of a brother for a little while.

“I see,” he murmured softly beneath his breath, focusing back on the path ahead before he could make a complete and utter fool of himself. Like Israfel, he too didn’t fancy lingering on the topic if they didn’t have to. Later, he could see that red roan bastard out of Delumine – but for now, it was the Warden of Terrastella who captivated his attention.

A grin slowly formulated and tugged back against his dark muzzle as he chortled, nonplussed by her choice of words. “Lucky for you?” He echoed, one brow furrowing and the other arching as he cast his gaze back across her smooth, delicately sculpted visage. Never before had he been paired up with a personality such as hers, and frankly, Ulric wasn’t entirely sure how process her abrasiveness. One thing that was blaringly obvious to him, however, was the fact that he didn’t mind it in the least. He fired back with a harmless quip of his own. “You think you stand a chance?”

Conversation of their pathetically cold, empty beds took a sour turn when the recent tragedies of Novus surfaced, causing that grin falter. With a deep inhale, Ulric heaved a sigh. “Thankfully, we didn’t. Some of our citizens are still recovering from burns and excess smoke inhalation, but that’s the extent of the damage. Aside from the forest, of course.” Even now the scent of acrid smoke still burned his nose despite its absence, but with time he knew it would fade away into naught but a memory. Lifting his gaze to meet Israfel’s own, Ulric offered her a benevolent smile. “It happened so suddenly, there was no time to even consider asking for help. Don’t beat yourself up over it. If I ever have the pleasure of meeting Asterion myself, I’ll be sure to thank him. But… pass it along for me in the meantime, yeah?”

Winding their way ever further down the path, side-by-side, Ulric pursed his lips as he voiced his own concern. “What about Terrastella? I heard the rain didn’t let up for days. Is there anything left? Was everyone lucky enough to get away in time?”

e-cho . huniidue . @tag

@Israfel nose...?

Night Court Sovereign

Israfel

’You think you stand a chance?’ Oh, boy.

Israfel’s responding grin was positively lethal. Her eyes glittered like smoldering embers in the early sunlight, staring unabashedly at the blue roan Warden with saccharine interest. “I make my own chances, Ulric.” Sing-song and sensual, the Sun Daughter did not even try to hide the blatant intrigue that clung to her every word. This almost felt like a game, and she was very keen on winning. A furtive glance and she was gone, traipsing across these lands with a profound confidence and graceful cadence, gilded hooves guiding her along the path that was well-worn from continuous use.

Staying in step with Ulric, a pale ear tipped in his direction as the conversation switched from flirtatious and lucrative to a tone far more somber. Her smile gradually faded, concern igniting in her eyes as a thoughtful, troubled frown pulled at her rose-kissed lips. It was all too easy to be swallowed by fire and burned alive, where nothing was left save ash and soot. She understood. While not particularly fond of the ideology of Novus, perhaps someone or something had been watching out for the souls of Delumine during the fury of the fires.

Despite that, it made it no easier to listen to. The denizens of the Dawn Court were the peaceful kind. It always hurt more when the individuals who suffered truly didn’t deserve it. This was no different. Letting out a long, measured breath, Israfel slowly dipped her head in a nod. Her frown remained but her gaze focused back on the path ahead, picking her steps carefully as she and Ulric continued along the dusty trail. The citadel gradually grew smaller until it disappeared, their patrol taking them further from the capitol.

“I’m glad that you’re all okay. Fire is no joke.” At least plants could grow again and be replaced. Lives could not. With Ulric’s mention of Asterion, the Sun Daughter hummed softly beneath her breath and gave a short nod. “I’ll tell him whenever I go home.” Whenever that might be. Israfel was quite enjoying this little break away from the Dusk Court. Despite how much she was fond of her home in Terrastella and the little niche she had made for herself, after spending so long there in torrential rain, dangerous flooding, and spontaneous sinkholes was enough to desperately need a vacation.

Arching a brow, the Warden of Terrastella gave Ulric a sidelong glance once he turned his question on her home. The gilded woman took a moment to mull over a suitable answer before offering a shrug of a slender shoulder. “Weeks, really. We still have a number of individuals unaccounted for, but last I knew the Halcyon Unit was relentlessly searching for survivors. A lot of citizens lost their homes and most of our resources were swept away, but the capitol still stands.” That was some victory, however pyrrhic it seemed. “Everyone took shelter in Denocte until the rains finally stopped. I stayed in Terrastella, though. I didn’t want to leave anyone that still needed help but couldn’t get out.”

Maybe it was idiotic of her. Maybe it was obligation. Maybe it was due to a goodness in her heart that she struggled to truly understand. Regardless, she had done a good thing in staying behind and Asterion had commended her for it. The praise had felt strange. Foreign. Yet it was nice to be recognized for efforts that ran beyond the normal expectations that fell on her shoulders.

Remaining in step with Ulric, Israfel ducked towards him to avoid a rather low hanging tree branch, allowing the etched feathers of her wing to brush against his own. When they emerged on the other side, she didn’t bother to put distance back between them, almost curious as to what he would do. Would he move away? Would he remain so that they would bump against one another with every step?

“We’ll rebuild. That’s all that matters, right? And in the end it’ll make us stronger. Or some shit like that, I don’t really know.” Once more that rueful sort of grin lit up the shield-maiden’s face, vermilion eyes glinting mischievously. “I just fight whatever Asterion tells me to fight and hit on studs who I think are pretty good looking.” She followed the flirt up with a wink and a low, breathy chuckle. Picking up the pace a little to pull a head, she flicked her tail towards the blue roan in hopes of buffeting his chest, red petals from the lilies in her tail slowly falling to the earth.

“Well… If you ever need a distraction, Ulric, I can offer you a good time.” It was a loaded offer, and Israfel knew that Ulric was smart enough to understand what wasn’t being said.

x - x

@Ulric butt <3 Maybe end here? xD

Inactive Character

Ulric

Ulric struggled to imagine himself in Terrastella’s place. Fire had run rampant and effectively destroyed many of their resources, and he wondered briefly how they would hold out through the winter, but that was a worry for another day. A weeks-long flood, on the other hand… what kind of damage must that have done to the soil? How many souls were lost beneath it and the rest of the debris swept away with it, how many had held out for days until finally succumbing to their exhaustion, their thirst, their pain or sickness? The roan gave a shake of his head and heaved a sigh. “I know it doesn’t bring back your people, but… I’m sorry. If they’re still looking after all this time, I doubt I’d be of much use, but know that I’d be willing to lend my help where I can.”

With talk of Somnus’ worthless brother on top of the loss of innocent lives and destruction of homes, the air around them suddenly felt much heavier than just minutes prior. Disaster and tragedy was simply the nature of life for everyone, he had learned early on, and despite all he had endured it never made it any easier to deal with. Like Israfel said, all they could do was rebuild and look to the future to try and prevent it from happening again. He felt it would always inevitably fail in some way, shape or form, but at least they would be more prepared the next time.

Her jest toward ‘good looking studs’ seemed to snap him from his reverie, stupefied as he finally tore his unfocused gaze from the path back to her, just in time to be flicked in the nose by her tail. He jerked his head inward toward his chest in surprise, and watched like a fool as she pulled ahead of him temptatiously. The words that trailed after her were some of the last he was expecting, and for a moment he wondered if he had heard her incorrectly – but he most certainly had not.

“… Oh?” The Warden piped back up, unaware he had stopped however briefly. Picking his feet up, he started after her again, quickening his pace to catch back up. He was cautious but curious, interested as he pursued. No further words were issued – they were not needed.

e-cho . huniidue . @tag

@Israfel >____>