Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - Forever in Never Never Land

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Pan

Pan needed to find a cave. His bag was growing heavy, and as he followed the river, he began to search for one in earnest. As he walked, the treasures he’d collected jingled like a gypsy’s dancing chains, creating quite a clatter with every step he took. His breathing was labored a bit in the harsh heat of summer, but instead of complaining, Pan was singing an off key but jaunty tune. I won't grow up, I don't want to go to school… Just to learn to be a parrot, and recite a silly ruuuullllleeee! His voice was quite off key, but he grinned and only sang louder as he danced along the river, an oddly familiar tingling along the back of his spine which suggested that here too was a land he’d been before.

In fact, as he grew nearer to the Dawn Court, his body seemed to take a path of all its own, as if it knew where it was going. Deeper and deeper, the boy worked his way toward the river, until he found himself almost without looking at the entrance to a small cave. Curiosity crept over Pan as he stepped toward it, gasping as he stepped into the mouth of the cave and a wave of surprised pleasure washed over him.

Along the walls were crude shelves stacked high with beautiful things. There were things he’d swear he’d seen before… even more, he got the distinct impression that these items were his. That maybe he’d actually been the one to put them there. His lips wandered over a knotted ball of rope, a curious silver thimble, and a vial of stardust flecked liquid on a delicate silver chain. Dropping his bag, the boy began to empty it and make space, replacing what he’d brought in, with the items from the shelves. Now, the vial was tucked around his neck, bouncing against his breast while the thimble jangled against his favorite shell – a token he’d unwittingly acquired from the god Oriens.

Suddenly, he heard a sound, and jumping back, he braced himself to defend the cave. Who’s there!?! Pan yelled at the intruder, his green eyes flashing with surprise and caution as he peeked from the rocky dome. Are you a pirate, coming to steal my treasure?

Pan
the vagabond adventurer
image by nikkayla
html by castlegraphics

@Somnus

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

Quite honestly, he had just been minding himself for the duration of his walk and had not been expecting to accompany anyone else. It seemed like he was spending more and more time at the Rapax River, either strolling along alone or with his family at his side, but that particular visit Somnus found himself walking along the shoreline on his own. The silence was nice, while it lasted, for it enabled him to collect his wayward thoughts and let the stresses of the day slide from his winged shoulders. Alba, beautiful, blessed Alba, was in his company today. The barn owl had chosen to accompany her bonded instead of remaining back at the citadel with Regis, knowing that the young Dawn Prince would be quite alright with Eulalie, Tabbris, and the mischievous little Milo keeping an eye on him.

With Alba roosting upon the Dawn King’s croup, Somnus had picked his own leisurely path, letting the summer sun warm his back. It was peaceful, the sound of the rushing river soothing to his ears and helping ebb the stress of everything away… Still, the last thing he could have expected was to be accosted by what appeared to be a familiar face popping out from the depths of a small cave to proclaim him a pirate. Wait; a pirate?

“What in Oriens’ name?” Somnus questioned to himself, verdant eyes widening a bit in surprise as he balked in his steps. Alba, disturbed from her lazy nap, let out a very undignified scree! at the colt that accosted them, her wings flapping with the occasional pop! as she clacked her beak at him. The barn owl did not move, however, and dug her talons deeper into Somnus’ hide. He ignored it, far used to her ways by now, and instead focused his attention on the pale youth standing just out of complete sight.

“I beg your pardon? No, I cannot say that I am a pirate… Come to think of it, I’ve never met a pirate before. At least, not any that sail the tides of the Rapax River.” Which would be quite the comical scenario indeed, considering the general shallowness of the river… Hardly anyone could steer a vessel in such precarious depths without risk of breeching their hull.

Arching a brow further at the stranger, something scratched at the back of Somnus’ brain, some form of recognition. Interesting. “My name is Somnus. I apologize if I bothered you… I was unaware anyone was living in caves along the river bank. Do you need-“ But then, he paused, finally recognizing the pale-haired youth. Lips quirking downwards in a frown, he dared a step closer, golden ears twisting forward as verdant eyes narrowed in concern and disbelief. Pan? Is that you?”

"Speaking."
credits

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Pan

The boy grinned at the intruder, for it was all just a game to him.  Clearly, his words had done the trick too, for Somnus did appear visibly shaken by his accusation, taking the claim of being a pirate all too seriously.  In truth, it had been some time since Pan himself had seen a pirate, but in his child’s mind, to be a pirate would be quite the romantic thing.  A pirate’s life of squashbuckling adventure was certainly the life for him… and he liked the thought of sailing the seas, scouring them for treasure, and not taking crap from anybody.  It was just like one of his books, he figured (nevermind that pirates got scurvy and their limbs chopped off… the books didn’t really talk of such things).

What’s the password?!? he demands of the stranger, stepping forth from the cave and blinking in the sunlight.  It glinted from his scales, drawing an iridescent sort of gleam from them as a light-spotted pattern splayed along the ground.  He blinked at Somnus, the familiar ticking in his mind back once more, and for the briefest of moments there is a flicker of recognition… but before Pan can put a finger on it, his attention is drawn away by the flapping bird.

Is this your bird? His first question for the password is forgotten as he steps closer to investigate.  She’s lovely… and the fierce boy is gone, replaced by a curious child who reaches into his bag to draw forth a perfectly formed mouse skull, which he offers to the owl.

So intrigued is he by the heart-faced owl, that he doesn’t take much notice of Somnus’ recognition of him as well, responding with a distracted hum before the words could truly sink in.  Once they do though, the boy turns and offers Delumine’s leader a quizzical sort of glance, cocking his head like a dog.  Yes… I’m Pan… do we know each other?  But they did – from long ago… the boy simply couldn’t recall the rest.

Pan
the vagabond adventurer
image by nikkayla
html by castlegraphics

@Somnus

Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

Password?

What in the world was he going on about? A password? How did one hold a password to an open mouthed cave? It seemed, however, that he wouldn’t get a chance to even attempt a guess, as soon enough Pan’s attention had been stolen by the pale-faced and terribly grumpy Alba. The pale youth’s earnest and open inquiries caused Somnus’ posture to relax, because at that moment it was almost as if he were engaging his own son in conversation. Regis was a lot like Pan; inquisitive and innocent, fueled by a youthful desire to learn and understand all while enjoying life to its fullest. It was a blessing to be such a way, and Somnus hoped that his son wouldn’t be in too much of a hurry to grow up.

Giving a small little grin, the dunalino nodded. “Indeed she is. Her name is Alba. Alba? Say hello, please, and mind your manners.” After all, it wasn’t Pan’s fault that Alba was a pathological grump whenever her afternoon naps were disrupted. Even if the barn owl was nocturnal. That was beside the point. The moodiness, however, was quick to fade at Pan’s earnest compliment, the softly spoken praise causing the barn owl’s ivory and tawny feathers to fluff up in pride. Oh, goodness.

Waddling forward and up Somnus’ spine to rest between his wings and at a better vantage point to examine the youth, Alba let out another few curious pop, pop, pops! with her beak, these ones far more innocent than her previous act of ire. She nosily watched with beady black eyes as Pan reached into his satchel of collected goodies and procured a mouse skull, which she reached out and snatched with her beak almost instantly. Somnus couldn’t help but roll his eyes, but the small grin on his dark lips belied any genuine annoyance at his bonded’s peculiar behavior.

Turning his head to focus on Pan, the stallion gave another nod. “We do, although it has been some time, I’m afraid. I will admit that I was worried when you disappeared. We met, oh… A year and a half ago? Perhaps even two years?” He frowned, troubled and quizzical. Goodness. Kasil had still been sovereign of Dawn Court then, and he had been a dutiful scholar. “May I ask where you have been, or if you’ve been well? You appear unharmed… But many of us worried for you, Pan.”

"Speaking."
credits

@Pan – I think Alba is smitten with Pan already. xD

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Pan

Curiouser and curiouser.  Pan was slowly beginning to piece his past together, pulling from context clues from those who he’d met since returning to Novus.  Clearly, he’d been here before… that much, he’d accepted.  How else could he explain that he knew his way around here, that he’d found this very treasure cave?  Others said that they remembered him, and most surprising of all, he’d found the girl with flower-laden hair from his dreams.  Albeit, she was much older.  Clearly, Pan had travelled forward in time… into the future.  It was the only way he could explain all of the strange and wonderful things which were happening to him.  It had to be magic.

Alba… he mulls the name.  There’s a pretty girl…  He doesn’t reach out to touch the owl, but preens as she seems pleased with his gift.  Pan always had a particular fondness for birds.  Perhaps it was the way they looked so free in the sky, soaring with the breeze, without a care in the world.  Oh, to fly would be Pan’s greatest adventure.  Animals seemed to like the boy, and he quite enjoyed the idea of having a friend of his own by his side.  Nevermind that his trusted otter was never far away, before now.  Clearly, Oliver was lost in the Rift, though for now, his memories of the sleek brown creature were not yet unearthed.

Two years ago…  It all seemed so strange, didn’t it?  How could he have been here two years ago, and not have a single memory of it.  Could it be that the dreams were more reality than he realized?  Funny, he’d always sort of hoped they were.  I’m sorry… I can’t remember.  He frowned at the golden stallion, color creeping into his cheeks as if he were embarrassed – but Pan would never admit such things.  I seem to have forgotten your name… but I’m touched that you were worried about me.  As you can see, I’m just fine… or at least, I thought I was just fine.  There is a tinge of fear in his eyes, for Pan had to wonder if he could be truly okay when he was clearly trapped in some sort of time loop.  Why is it that the world remembered him, while he could seldom recall what he had for breakfast the day before?  

What is this place?  I… I think I’ve been here before.  Confusion gives way to a vulnerable but hopeful glance at the sovereign, hoping that perhaps Somnus might have a key to help him remember.  Hoping that perhaps this was the place he belonged.

Pan
the vagabond adventurer
image by nikkayla
html by castlegraphics

@Somnus

Dawn Court Scholar

As he listened to Pan speak, taking in his tone and easily noticing look of fear that passed into the youth’s emerald eyes, Somnus wondered if he had perhaps been struck in the head during his time away. It was strange, now that he thought more about it. There was no doubt that he and Pan had met before; roughly two years prior during various Dawn Court events, back when Kasil was king. Visually the pale youth looked very much the same as he had then, his ivory coat mottled with green and alabaster scales. Frowning, the Dawn King cleared his throat and adopted the soothing tone he used whenever Regis was particular intimidated or afraid.

“Peace,” he murmured softly, dipping his head down slightly and letting his wings droops and relax in some attempt to make Pan feel more at ease, “It’s quite alright, I assure you. There’s no reason to fret.” Not yet, at least. Despite his confusion, Pan seemed very certain that he was perfectly healthy and hale, and just by looking him over, Somnus was inclined to agree. Still, the memory loss was concerning, but not unheard of. The Library itself was full of tomes and journals of individuals who suffered from memory loss, but many of those records were cross-referenced with Terrastella’s vast array of patients.

’What is this place? I… I think I’ve been here before.’

Somnus glanced about, smiling softly at the trees and the rushing river. For old time’s sake, he glanced into the waves but saw no flashes of pink colored dolphins. Not today, at least. Clearing his throat, the dunalino answered the boy patiently. “This is the Rapax River, which flows through the land of Delumine, or the Dawn Court proper. Even though you do not remember, you used to call the Dawn Court home. Perhaps this is a cave that you once frequented? May I come in and have a look around? Of course, if you would rather not that is quite alright, we can also stay here and perhaps spot an elusive pink river dolphin.”

Really anything to see Pan at ease, for he was far too young to carry such a worried atmosphere about him. Which was still strange… Young. Hm. He appeared the very same age as he was the day Somnus had met him. How very peculiar.

"Speaking."
credits

Pan

The golden king was kind.  There is a smile on Pan’s face as he accepts Somnus’ comfort, nodding as he tries to remember all that the male spoke of.  This had been his home.  Perhaps that explained the strange familiarity.  Thinking aloud, he responds to the male I don’t remember being here before… and yet, I know this place.  My feet knew just where to go… they took me here, and the cave… I think the cave is where I lived.  Blindly, he turns to walk back toward the mouth of it, looking back to nod in compliance that Somnus should join him.

As they step inside the cave, it became clear very quickly that the colt with hoarding tendencies did in fact have his life stored along its walls.  There are shelves from floor to ceiling, quite organized, filled with a variety of items.  On one shelf, shells of all sizes and colors glittered where the light hit them.  On another, there is an assortment of bones, feathers, and rocks.  Still another held drying herbs, each categorized and labeled by Pan’s scrawling text.  Jumbled scrolls surround them, some in baskets, others unfurled where Pan had read them by candlelight, long into the night.  It was a treasure trove of a collection… and even though the boy couldn’t remember every item, it would not be unfathomable to know that he had gathered each and every piece.

Can I stay here?  Do you think the gods will mind?  Nevermind that Somnus was in charge of this place now.  Pan didn’t know who was truly the keeper of the cave, but he also didn’t want to rock the boat and cause an issue by staying somewhere he wasn’t wanted.  I like it here, with all my things.  He offers a gold coin to Somnus, perhaps as payment for his silence on the location of Pan’s cave.  After all… it wouldn’t do for pirates to come and steal away his prizes.

And, I want to find a dolphin… do they really live in the River? for the boy had only seen them before in the sea, where they dove and played with the currents and waves.  Pan could definitely see where he’d have found a place in this kingdom.  It was just intriguing enough, with its caves and secrets, but it also felt like home – warm, and inviting.

Pan
the vagabond adventurer
image by nikkayla
html by castlegraphics

@Somnus – sprow, sorry I am sick and my brain hurts, so I hope it makes sense…

Dawn Court Scholar

Somnus’ expression was sympathetic as he regarded the young boy. “Sometimes our heart remembers things that our mind cannot,” he murmured softly, hoping to encourage Pan as to not have the boy be disheartened by his apparent memory loss. What could have been the reason as to why he could not remember his life here within Delumine? How very curious that must be, not to mention frightening. Pan was certainly brave, facing this uncertainty headlong as he was.

Giving the boy a moment to ponder his inquiry, Somnus’ smile grew far warmer as the emerald-scaled boy agreed to let him step inside the cave, turning with a flick of an alabaster tail to lead the dunalino after him. Stepping inside the cave, Somnus dipped his head and kept his wings pulled taut against his sides, not wishing to bump into anything or knock anything over. How rude a guest he would be should such a thing occur! Curiously his eyes roamed the various items stashed away, a child’s chest of marvelous treasures unveiled for him to see. Shells of different sizes, shapes, and colors were collected meticulously upon a shelf, and nearby he saw bones, feathers, fun-shaped rocks of interesting color. Various plants were stashed away, as well, some fresh, others dried

“Wow,” he breathed out, quite clearly taken aback by such a vast collection hoarded away beneath Delumine’s very nose, “This is quite an impressive collection of things, Pan. I think my son would enjoy seeing them, should that be alright with you. He’s barely a yearling but enjoys curious trinkets.” Of course, he wouldn’t want Regis to come in here without Pan’s permission. These were, by right, his items, and this was also his home.

Walking throughout the small, quaint cave, Somnus continued to peruse the items collected and displayed almost lovingly. Clearly Pan had a great deal of pride in his collection, and rightfully so. It was lovely. Satisfied with a once over, he turned to face his gracious host just in time to hear his timid inquiry. The tone, and topic, melted the Dawn King’s heart.

“Of course you can stay, Pan. No one will mind, least of all the gods. Someone needs to stay here and maintain this marvelous collection, wouldn’t you say?” Another quirk of a grin crossed upon dark lips, and but he was quick to sober. Ears forward, the stallion listened, but then shook his head. It seemed wrong to take a coin from the boy who simply wanted to keep his home. “Keep it. It seems far more at home here with your collection than if I were to take it.” Then, with a quick glance to the mouth of the cave and the churning river nearby, he went on. “Indeed there are. It took me some time of searching and hoping, but I managed to see a number of them once. They are quite elusive little things, but very beautiful. If you stay here I’m positive that you will see a pod of them.”

Turning his head back to face the boy, Somnus went on. “Now, if anyone gives you hassle about staying here, you just point them to me, very well? I’ll set them straight, I promise.”

"Speaking."
credits

@Pan <3 I just adore him, and so does Somnus

Pan

Even though Pan had yet to realize that Somnus was the king of Delumine, he knew that the golden Pegasus had a way about him.  He had a way of speaking that made everyone feel welcome, and Pan was certainly no exception.  As he rejects the pirate coin and offers to keep it here in Pan’s collection, the boy’s respect for him only grows.  For whether Somnus had intended to or not, he made Pan feel important simply by validating his boyish ways.  His indulgence in Pan’s desire to explore and learn about Novus was more than enough to buy the boy’s loyalty.

In more ways than not, Pan was still a member of the Dawn Court.  Perhaps this is why he had never truly left it, hiding away his treasures and finding his way back without even trying.  And now, it was here the boy would stay.  He offers Somnus a soft smile, nodding at the thought that he should find a dolphin, making a mental note to do so at first opportunity.  More curious still is Somnus’ mention of a son.  Pan was, of course, eager to meet more children in this place.

Do you think your son would like to come with me to find the dolphins?  After I show him the cave, of course… For Pan seeks company more than anything else.  Even if this was his cave, he had quite a generosity and desire to share with others.  You can tell him how to get here... and I’ll be waiting.  

Moving back toward the mouth of the cave, he turns to see if Somnus was following, though not truly minding if the Pegasus wanted to stay a bit longer and poke around.  Thanks Somnus… I’ll point them to you if I need to.  For now though, I’m off to find some plants.  Gesturing to his satchel, he points out the rather thick tome about herbs (which may or may not have been ‘borrowed’ from Delumine’s library) before heading off on another adventure.

Pan
the vagabond adventurer
image by nikkayla
html by castlegraphics

@Somnus – feel free to start a new thread any time!  Pan's always game for posts

Dawn Court Scholar

The dunalino’s brows raised as Pan mentioned Regis, and if the boy would enjoy a trek to possibly spot the elusive pink river dolphins. The expression of mild surprise was quick to give way to a genuine smile, all paternal warmth and gentleness, and he dipped his head once in a nod. “I believe that Reggie would quite enjoy that, actually. I think he would enjoy spending time with you most of all. I’m afraid he has few close friends…” Even though the young prince was the type to consider all people he met as his friends, Somnus knew that he had few close friends within his inner circle.

Over time, of course, he would gain more. That was simply how life worked.

Following the wayward adventurer towards the mouth of the cave, Somnus offered it one last respectful look. It truly was a marvelous collection. Turning his head around to face Pan, the stallion maintained that same smile and spoke up. “Perhaps I’ll return soon and see if your collection has grown. I’ll also keep an eye out for anything interesting upon my journeys throughout Novus and bring it back here.” It was only fair, right? It had been a long time since Somnus had taken a few moments to just look for natural creations of interest, but now he had a reason to.

“You’re very welcome.” Stepping back outside and beneath the warm sunlight, Somnus took a moment to stretch out his wings, the mottled feathers fanning out. “I hear that dried water willow has a delightful taste, and it can be made into a marvelous tea. If you see any, please pick up a few, would you? I would compensate you for your time, of course.” Anything to have a delicious tea, and Pan was very clearly the adventurous sort.

Dipping his head once more to the pale youth, eyeing his eagerness to get out and about to explore, Somnus turned away, knowing that he had dawdled long enough and needed to return back to the capitol and tend to his duties before the council came looking for him. “Thank you for your time, Pan. Please, take care of yourself, and should you need anything, do not hesitate to seek me out.”

"Speaking."
credits

@Pan

Somnus' official exit post.