Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Smoke Was Pouring Through the Halls

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Noctiilucent

The Domain of the Delumine is a stark contrast and far cry from the Night Court. It is home to the first woman that greeted her. At least if she is remembering correctly, a woman that is made of ferocity and speckled with rust. Messalina is her name. Yes, Noctii still recalls their tense meeting. She remembers the bitter cold and the urgency of her voice. It is that voice that beckons her through the walls of the Dawn Court. Her hunger for knowledge is not sated by simply learning of her home. Noctii cannot bear to be in her home, not when there is a chance to find their beloved Queen. The Unicorn who is both a mermaid and whispers to dragons without fear. Noctii is not herself, she pays no mind to the rush of bodies. She feels the scorn of the sun here, for it is not the opposite of the sun. It is a part of the day, and as much a part of her old world that the Day Court is. She is here for two reasons, to see if she can find a trace of Isra, and to see what else she can learn here. The maiden who is made of seas of ivory and ash that is strewn across the canvas of the sun moves somewhat cautiously. Noctii is no stranger to peril, and she hears their gates creak shut above the symphony of shouts. Her heart races with excitement, and she is reminded of the inner rebellious youth that still lives within her.

Her breathing quickens as she hungrily dives into the shadows of the walls that shut out the sea of greens and reds. Noctii does not want to be noticed, she wants to simply hide and learn if she can. She wonders what dangers lie here for her, and part of this excites her. The events of late have awakened something in her that has been dormant for far too long. Her mind is ravenous for knowledge, for debate, and more importantly for the presence of Isra. She knows the love of the Unicorn who whispers of dreams and wields her smile like a dagger. Noctii wishes she was as beautiful and dangerous and magnificent as her Queen. She wants the night to love her as much as the sun has. In her excitement, she doesn't realize that she is quickly lost in the maw of Delumine. She dashes down alleys and through shadows where she can. She will not go unnoticed, no one racing through the shadows of streets with such urgency and excitement could possibly go undetected. But she is unknown, and she is within the walls before they closed their gates. Here she can be anything she wishes, whoever she wishes. Isra told her she could be anything, change anything she desires. Noctii believes her, but she has yet to see the outcome of her attempts.

"Speech" Thoughts

Notes: This isn't super great... and she's weirdly running around along the walls and alleys in the shadows because that's definitely inconspicuous.
Tags: @Eulalie

And I thought
Maybe we could save ourselves

Eulalie

The borders were officially closed, with Ulric heading regular patrols both to keep an eye out for the beast that had murdered two of their own and to keep an eye out for travelers from other courts. If someone came into Delumine unaware of the danger, they needed somebody to keep an eye out for them. It was not only citizens of her own court in danger, it was anyone who might catch the beasts eye, and while Somnus was not entirely ruling out foul play Eulalie had a feeling something much more fantastical was behind the murders.

The ivory maiden walked the streets of her court, like she did so often, only now the threat of danger lurked over their shoulders again. First with the fires and now this. A gentle sigh passed through Eulalie’s lips as she thought about it. Would their court ever see peace again? She wanted to believe, so faithfully as the sun set and rose each day, that all would be well again. They merely would have to work for peace and not expect it to just happen. They would need to do their best to discover what had killed Moore and Casper and prevent any other tragedies from falling into their laps.

The fighting spirit inside her, the one that had not given up on her freedom once upon a time, still reared its head in the face of uncertainty. She would do whatever she could to protect these people, her family, her friends, from whatever dared hunt them in the dark. In fact, she was headed to find Ulric for a patrol with Tabbris in toe when he saw the stranger darting from alleyway to alleyway, hanging in the shadows, creeping along walls, and brought it to her attention. The sight brought a pause to Eulalie’s movements as her earth brown eyes caught finally found them. Strange was her thought.

Thus she intercepted her own progress and turned toward where she’d seen the stranger disappear down an alleyway, one which she knew did not have an outlet at the other end for them to escape out of, and she waited. She waited for them to step back out of the mouth of the alley, no doubt clinging to the shadows they so hoped were hiding them. But with Tabbris’ keen eye, for the gryphon missed little in his observations of their vicinity, they were not missed. He stood just the otherside of the alley, effectively surrounding the stranger.

“Is there something I can help you find, perhaps?” was her question, poised on her lips for when the wanderer stepped free from the confines of the dark lane. Oh, and if there was perhaps a little suspicion in her tone could she help it? Tabbris was perhaps even more outright wary as his eyes narrowed upon them. The crest of ivory feathers upon his head rose slightly, his tail lashed back and forth behind him. He looked like a predator squaring up to a percieved threat, and most everyone the gryphon did not know he considered a threat.

@Noctiilucent

Noctiilucent

She steps into the light after finding herself at a dead end, but it is not the light alone that greets her. The woman who stands between her and the crawling city is nearly as blinding as the sun itself. She is not alone, her companion narrows their eyes at her. Noctii has never seen such a creature and she stares at them. The look upon her face is frozen somewhere between apprehension and fascination. She is breathless, and she smiles at the woman who asks if she can help. The absurdity of the question strikes her as funny in these moments. If only she knew where Isra was. A laugh escapes her lips for a moment, it is clear that she finds the question absurd. It is practically stricken across her face. "If only you could." Her voice is light, but it carries the weight of darkness that roots itself in every note her voice delivers. Noctii knows she must tread carefully, she is not in her home domain. She has doubts that any other court looks upon her own favourably. This is just an assumption she has made, but with Isra missing, she can trust no one. Not yet. "I can see your suspicion. You must wonder why I am running through the alleys shrouded in darkness like a common criminal? It's been a while since I've stretched my legs." Noctii offers the words to her innocently. It is not wholly a lie. It is only a half-truth. She has never set foot outside Denocte. Not since her arrival, not since her warm welcome from the former king. For a few fleeting moments, she is stricken with sadness for the friend she has lost.

Another king. The sadness flees, she will not show weakness to a potential enemy. The emotion swirls into a look of fondness, and her face springs to life. "You remind me of someone I once knew. I wonder who they used to be... Does the Dawn court have a library? I am a foreign scholar. I seek knowledge here. To understand the world I now live in." She offers the words to the fierce looking woman. She could almost be a child of Reth. If Noctii squints hard enough, she can almost see Zafries. But this woman has a strange creature, not a falcon. She hopes her fascination with the creature does not come off the wrong way. Her curiosity can be insatiable. "Tell me, what species is your companion? I've never seen any companion like him. No creature ever in my life. They're brilliant!" It was easier to be authentic with these next words. These are the most honest words she has spoken, and she has been doing an awful lot of speaking. Noctii didn't want to admit that she is excited to explore the world around her. To learn. She craves to sate the hunger that rolls through her mind like a great beast. A beast that can be a dear friend, or an unimaginable horror.

"Speech" Thoughts

Notes: The next reply will be sooner than three months lol. Thank you for waiting <3

And I thought

Eulalie

When the stranger laughs, Eulalie has to sharpen her features so as to not show her offense. How dare they laugh at her, when they are the ones acting so distrustfully, so suspiciously. Their actions are the absurd thing here, for there is no reason to go creeping all around Delumine and risking to threaten her people or to frighten them. Her dark eyes narrow, ears standing tall atop her head as she listens to the other woman speak.

Eulalie is not normally so wary, but with the borders closed and such horrible things happen not only here in their home but all across Novus, this is no time to let things slide. And she has a duty, not only as the sovereign’s Lady but as a warrior of the Dawn Court, to patrol, guard and protect.

On principle, she wants to believe the statement, but it does not sound quite right and Tabbris is no less calm for the spoken answer. “If you must stretch your legs you needn’t do it in the dark, in such a manner. The court would have you happily out in the open, and all would no doubt be better for it.” Eulalie wants to tell this woman that of all those tasked with keeping Delumine safe she is probably the easiest to get along with, the most likely to trust and forgive. But she does not. Somehow, she feels like it would not matter.

The emotions on the stranger’s face switch almost rapidly from one to the next, and the gilded woman cannot help but wonder what exactly is going on in her mind. Something is amiss, and Eulalie can’t quite put her finger on what it is. What comes out of the woman’s mouth next shocks her, however. It is certainly not what she expected to hear, and it catches her off guard easily.

For a moment, Eulalie panics, fearing that this stranger is someone from Solterra, who will recognize her for the slave she used to be and return back to turn her in to Albrecht. But just as quickly she is moving on, asking of books and knowledge and a library. “...We have, perhaps, the grandest library in all of Novus, actually,” Eulalie says, slowly. She remembers when the library appeared out of nowhere, built of trees and lit with cozy glow of lanterns.

Tabbris stiffens at mention of him, and Eulalie is confused at this woman’s quick change of topic. Are her thoughts truly this fast-paced or is she trying to keep Eulalie on her toes? It’s hard to tell, though she does seem genuinely curious about her bonded.

“Tabbris is a gryphon. Part eagle, part feline.” What, she wonders, is this stranger’s motivation?

@Noctiilucent

Noctiilucent

The woman who has cornered her hardens her features, they stiffen when Noctii laughs. It is hard not to think that her reaction has offended the woman. Her eyes narrow, and the suspicion she feels is etched into every muscle that is hanging in suspense for Noctii to launch an attack. As if she would. The words that flow from her mouth are critical of the darkness and the suspicious way she has conducted herself here. But the shadows are brilliant, and she loves them. Noctii can hardly believe that she loves the moon, nor that she has become a child of Denocte. It is almost enough for her to believe in Caligo. Almost"There is nothing to fear in the darkness. I am a scholar from Denocte. I am sure you can understand my preference for the shadows?" Noctii inquires softly, she is taking care not to cause further offense to her behavior now. "I am not the wolf at your borders. I am not the wolf who closed your walls." Again her voice is soft, but her words are honest. Noctii has not spilled a drop of blood in Novus, not even in self-defense. It is only when Efphion shows her face that she is sure blood will be spilled, or perhaps the one who has taken Isra. Another expression appears on her companions face, it is carved deep into her features. It is a primal emotion that Noctii knows almost as well as her oldest and dearest friend. It dissipates after she has asked about their library.

Noctii refrains from tilting her head in curiosity. The woman almost seemed afraid that she was someone Noctii knew. Perhaps her past was not kind, though perhaps there was someone like her old self in this woman's past. She admits that the Dawn Court may have one of the grandest of libraries in all of Novus. The golden woman's blue eyes light up in response to this information. "Grand? Do you mean a vast collection from all over Novus, or an extensive collection about the Dawn Court? I don't know much about Novus, I am a foreigner in your court for two reasons. I am not native to Novus, and I now live in Denocte." Noctii does not tell the woman about Reth. It is far too dangerous for her now. She knows Effy will not be far from her heels. Her sister promised that she would make her pay for her betrayal of Xamis. Noctii watches when the creature beside her companion stiffens at her interest in him. The suspicion has never quite faded from the woman's frame, and it is still ever-present with her curiosity about the woman's bonded. She calls him Tabbris, and tells Noctii that he is a Gryphon. That he is part Eagle and part Feline. "A Gryphon... Where do they come from? Are there books on them here?... Am I allowed in your library, since I am stuck here for the time being? I came here to learn, and I have spent hours roaming the library of Denocte trying to find something to read in the past few days. I get restless when I am not learning. I must seem like the biggest cliche of a scholar ever..." Her laugh comes quietly this time, and it is at her own expense.

She wonders if she should tell the woman about the wolf Denocte is also facing. If she should explain that her bitter laughter earlier was brought from somewhere deeper than the present moment. Noctii decides it is best to explain herself fully, lest she is hauled into some dungeon for real criminals, and not just someone as eccentric as herself. "I wasn't laughing at you earlier... Denocte has felt the fangs of a wolf too. I laughed because you cannot help me with what I need help with the most. With what Denocte needs help with the most. I laughed because you cannot help me save a dear friend, and  am just as powerless to do it myself."

"Speech" Thoughts

Notes: <3

And I thought