Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - always on the run [court event]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Zombie [PM] Posts: 103 — Threads: 8
Signos: 325
Inactive Character

She had been to the meeting. She had heard what Somnus was asking of them. And yet, the mare did not care for being told what to do and what not to do. Already she had told herself that she would go where she pleased and she would do so alone. Sloane had never been one for large groups, finding that too many times everyone wanted to be the leader and none of them were ever truly qualified. Everyone was always in each other’s business and it got exhausting. Sloane would just prefer to do things on her own - danger or not. She was confident enough in her skills to be able to get along well with herself.

It was nearing dusk, the forest having already grown a little darker as the sun as trying to set. No longer did it shine down through the canopy but instead, struggled to break through the dense trees. It didn’t bother Sloane that it was getting dark. After all, the darkness only aided in her ability to slink through the trees unnoticed.

Sloane settled herself beneath the protective limbs of a large oak tree, one that had been lucky and been saved from the fires of Delumine just weeks before. Eyes were kept open, ears erect and alert. She scanned the treeline, looking for any sort of movement that might be caused by whatever beast was.

There is a twig that snaps behind her and Sloane is immediately on the defensive. Ears flatten against the sound heard as she slowly begings to turn towards the noise. However, as she turns in the hopes of finding the beast, she is unfortunately met with the face of another Delumine citizen. Eye rolls as she hisses lightly. “You’re going to scare away the beast with all that racket.” She shakes her head almost impatiently as she turns back to resume her position, hoping the intruder will simply walk on. However, something tells me he/she won’t just leave her be.

ooc: I promise she won't bite...hard. This is for anyone wanting to participate in the little court event for signos!

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Rouge

Rouge
New.

Rouge is accustomed to being the new person - he’d traveled to so many places, met so many faces, it is second nature to him now. It is no different in Delumine, and despite Somnus’ courteousness and the (generally) nice welcoming committee, he would have to acquaint himself with everyone individually. Only recently finding himself within Dawn’s ranks, Rouge knew little about the meeting, or the beast who seemed to haunt the kingdom’s memory. He can only put his best hoof forward, and patrol the borders of Delumine to the best of his ability.

This is how he finds himself in Viride, of course. Closely knit oak and hickory hide any light that may protrude onto the floor beneath. Dim, the air beneath the canopy is cold and unforgiving, so much so that Rouge can hardly focus on anything but. The memory of the desolate, unforgiving winter that claimed the lives of all he held so dear in fresh in his memory, and the breeze is enough to make him tuck tail and run.

But he doesn’t...he never does. Winter was coming, so he might as well adapt now.

The sound of a twig snapping pulls him from his haze, and he looks down to the branch that lay beneath his feet. Russet ears swivel to the sound of rustling beneath the limbs of a large oak, ears prick at the feminine hiss of a voice - “You’re going to scare away the beast with all that racket!” she growls, peering around the tree and rolling her eyes. Rouge chuckles, a quick-witted reply slipping off his tongue.

“With your attitude, I’m sure you’ve already scared it away.” As she turns her rump towards him, he backs away, careful to avoid any well-placed kicks that may come his way.

im not afraid of leaving, not of god & not of death.

@Sloane something quick :3

Inactive Character

Contrary to what the stallion might think, Sloane was a relatively passive horse, rather non-violent. Sure, she would endorse any violent act so long as it had a purpose, but she would never be outwardly aggressive without reason to be. She didn’t like to get her hooves dirty, only stand back and watch others play in the mud. He was safe from any kicks, bites, or lunges so long as he kept a respectful distance. After all, Sloane was not one to be touched.

That said, she did not appreciate his quick whips back. He could have just apologized for making racket or done something to at least help the cause. But instead, he settled on making sure that he addressed her sore attitude. Her attitude could not, or rather would not, be changed. “I was standing silently in the shadows before your noisy arrival - I’m sure I was not the cause.” Yes, she had an attitude problem. Yes, she was not the friendliest, most welcoming in Delumine. However, she was probably the one who might actually get a glimpse of the beast. Everyone else here seemed to be too loud, to focused in the moment.

She was quiet a moment as she let her gaze settle on a shadow just beyond another oak tree. She watches it before determining that it was only a deer. The movements too quick, silent, and agile to be the beast who had left the tracks by the river. “Why are you out by yourself after dark anyway? Somnus claims we should only come out in pairs.” Oh Somnus. He was cute to think that she would actually mind his rules. He was lucky that she was still in Delumine at all. Her tromping through the woods alone should be the least of his concerns. “…and before you comment, I do my best work alone.” What work that was is still to be known.

There’s something about this newcomer that strikes her as odd. He must be a new arrival. Then again, when one lived on their own private island like Sloane did, it was easy to miss the newcomers. “You picked a shitty time to come to Delumine.” Well, at least she was making some sort of greeting/small talk - that was more than she could say for anyone else.

@Rouge

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Rouge

Rouge

The mare isn't amused at his comment back, what with the way her annoyed eyes roll over and her chest breathes out a short burst of air. She snaps back accusatory words as she turns to him, and Rouge continues to keep a respectful distance. Though, he cannot help but feel a semblance of regret, and he decides to let it be known. Rouge, if nothing else, was a gentleman.

As she continues to growl back replies, his shoulders shrug and he lets out an apologetic sigh. “You’re not one for jokes I presume? Well, I’m sorry if I offended you.” He says politely, noticing how she stares past him to a looming shadow. He looks over and his ears prick up curiously. At the same time they must see that it is simply a grazing doe, for she looks back to him and asks why he is here.

“You could say that I also work best alone,” He murmurs, deciding not to tack on the last part of the statement - I’ve always been alone. “I hold Somnus in high regard, I respect him. But since I haven’t met all of Delumine’s citizens, I must be proactive myself without a partner. The beast still lurks after all.” He says in a hushed voice, ears swiveling back and forth. There is no lie in his statement, and when she adds that he’d best not ask why she is out in the forest alone, well, he cannot contain his warm chuckle.

She goes on to tell him how he picked a horrible time to show up in Delumine. What she lacks in casual conversational skills she makes up for in an almost refreshing attitude. Sometimes other equines were too chivalrous, too worried about the opinions of others (himself included)...it was of novel interest to him when someone wasn’t. “Ah, or maybe I picked just the right time,” He replies. “I intend to help find the murderous beast in whatever way possible. Since we seem to have the same motives...maybe we could help each other.” He leaves this open ended, then introduces himself. “I’m Rouge.

im not afraid of leaving, not of god & not of death.

@Sloane

Inactive Character

She hears his apology, but she does not respond to it. She has never been the type to welcome apologies. They make another feel weak, unconfident in what they say. When he apologizes for offending her, she cannot help but think that perhaps he meant to offend her, and just doesn’t want to admit it. It would be the first time someone has knowingly tried to offend her. The problem was that Sloane was rarely offended. She just huffed lightly, ignoring his words all together.

When he says that he too works best alone, she wonders how efficiently he works. Based on how he had snuck up on her, she cannot say with confidence that he’s been successful at his attempt at trying to find whatever beast has been lurking in the forest.

He explains that because he hasn’t met many of Delumine’s residents, that he must be protective of himself. There was nothing scary or untrusting of anyone here. They were all, for the most part, passive individuals who avoid conflict. “Most of Delumine avoids conflict, I’m sure you’re safe. Most of them probably are looking for the beast in groups of three or four. None of them are brave enough to be out here alone.” Or rather, none of them are stupid enough to be out here alone. They know the dangers and they know they don’t have the balls to stand up for whatever lurks in the shadows. Sloane could take care of herself. After all, that’s all she’s done since the moment of her birth.

Sloane tried to tell him that he had picked a horrible time to come to Delumine. With the beast in the forest and the boarders closed, there was nothing pleasant about Delumine. Not even the library with scrolls from floor to ceiling could keep her occupied enough. Sloane hated to be kept a prisoner in her own home.

And yet, he continues, saying that he intends to find the beast. And since the both are after the same thing, he offers to work together in order to achieve the goal. Eyes look to him cautiously, unsure of if she really wants to work with anyone. Working with someone requires good communication and talking to others was not something she was good at or enjoyed doing.

But before she could decide on whether or not she really wanted to work with him, he introduces himself as Rouge. “Sloane.” She will only tell him her name once, he better remember it. For a moment she ponders his offer to work together. It is then that she realizes that he will probably stick around, even if she doesn’t want him to. So with a heavy sigh, she looks back to him. “If you are going to work with me, you need to work on your stealth skills. I can hear you coming a mile away and I bet the beast has better hearing than I do.” He was going to have to watch where his feet fall so he doesn’t shuffle along the leaves or snap twigs. He also would need to learn (or perfect) the art of patience. After all, the beast would not be easy to find.

@Rouge