Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - a silent, faulty feeling

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 45 — Threads: 5
Signos: 15
Dusk Court Citizen
Male [He/Him/His]  |  11 [Year 499 Winter]  |  12.1 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 20  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

Heart beating fast like a quick little S.O.S.
Tell me you heard it and you can come handle this

It was a normal night. Nothing was out of place. The festivities of the winter event within Terrastella were in full swing, and Erd was in good spirits. Most everyone was, which was a damn nice reprieve from the recent tensions and uncertainties that had drifted across the land since the madness that had gone down in Denocte. There were a lot of things still up in the air about the whole thing, and at times the tension seemed palpable enough to cut with a knife. So many questions still remained unanswered. Would they help in whatever fight was brewing? Was there a fight brewing? Would the Halcyon be dispatched to assist? Honestly, Erd hoped not. Despite their age, he and his brother had seen enough war. Hopefully Asterion wouldn’t make that the final call.

Despite that, he was happy and content, a pack of new charcoals tucked away so that he could surprise Ard when he returned to their rooms. Already he was looking forward to seeing the surprise and excitement spread across his brother’s face, and that thought alone caused him to pick up the pace, speeding up from a brisk walk to a leisurely trot. It wasn’t very often that he could surprise his twin, and every moment that he could was a precious one.

He wasn’t flying, not that night. Despite the winter season, it was surprisingly nice, and so there seemed to be no harm in taking a walk around. Winter had arrived and they were another year older, another year wiser. Four. Their birthday passed in time with the winter festivities, much to his eternal joy and eagerness, and that was a far better way to spend a birthday than what I had happened last year.

Not wishing to dwell, the young warlock continued on his path, ducking around a corner of the Dusk court proper. The roads were mostly barren, shadows lingering in the empty paths as most of the inhabitants had buckled down for the evening, or were busy drinking and drawing or casting their wishes to the churning waves along the cliffside. Turquoise eyes glanced upwards, admiring the twinkling stars overhead. He breathed in deep, smiling, watching mist and vapor disappear in the air following his exhale.

Two more roads and two more turns and he would reach the door to the small home he and Ard had made for themselves. There was no reason to be concerned. The peace that he had experienced within Novus so far had lulled him into a sense of security, a sense of peace. Nothing would happen, not here so close to home, and perhaps that was why he was unaware of anyone who might be following.

"Speaking."
art | bg

@Manon - Wow what are words? Something quick and short to get us started. :D If I need to make any changes, just let me know!

Played by Offline Avis [PM] Posts: 25 — Threads: 3
Signos: 200
Inactive Character

The night was new, the stars making way to carry their young to the sky to show them how to shine. Winter hit softly that year, and the sky bent to the will of the chill; it parted, peacefully, unobstructively, a shimmering darkness blanketing those who sat in wonder beneath its pinprick lights. The living who stared in awe had their breaths drawn in pale clouds from their lips, hidden dreams, unspoken promises, lingering in their wake. And it was she who lurked in the shadows between it all--a friendly face, a dangerous mind. Waiting to pounce. Subtly planning moves while flashing haughty smiles to those who passed. She had an image to upkeep, a reputation: and it was that night that she would resurface to the outside world.

She had been on the run for quite some time; a mission to gather information for a client went wayward, and she was almost caught. Never, she would scoff at the idea, for she was better than that. Suspicions arose, her name was involved--she was tied, bound and stuck against a wall--so she went into hiding until skepticism faded as quickly as she had.

And yet, as she always would, she returned to continue down the only path she had ever known.

The Cliffs would be one of her first stops; the Dusk Court had fallen into the hands of a wrathful Vespera and the red-painted girl was curious to see if it even still stood. Lips curled in a smirk at the thought of how far it had both risen and fallen in such quick time; the first duel-colored queen couldn't uphold under the pressures it would seem despite all her so-called glory, and so she passed it onto a child Manon knew wouldn't last long... and again the crown would fall into hands of whose ability was questionable. Perhaps it was simply the curse of the Dusk Goddess, though, and all her passiveness-turned-aggression that ultimately caused her court to diminish in stature. None of it mattered to her, however, for one less functioning court was one less problem she had to worry about.

The tranquility that emanated that night was a welcomed thing, for it made spotting her target quite easy after all the trouble she had gone through for her last assignment. His nearly pure-white figure ghosted its way toward the heart of the court, and she knew she had to act fast. She had trailed him across the lines of the cliffs, waiting, watching, perhaps getting a little too distracted by the beauty of the swelling waves under a star-riddled sky. The sparse company around them meant fewer eyes to see her misdeeds, and so while the boy was distracted by the hanging lights she purposefully--audibly--tripped and softly cried out in pain while laying herself on the supple grass as if she fell. "Excuse me!" In a huff she called out to the winged boy, voice a seductive blend of raspy waves and delicate charm. "Could you help? I think my leg is sprained..." She trailed off while widened eyes begged him to go to her, multicolored hues glinting in the darkness.
Build me up just to bring me down
'Cause you don't want me to take the crown
CREDITS

@Erd c;

TO LIVE MY LIFE THE WAY I WANT
TO SAY AND DO WHATEVER I PLEASE
click for character page

(Please tag me in every post)

Dusk Court Citizen
Male [He/Him/His]  |  11 [Year 499 Winter]  |  12.1 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 20  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

There was a shuffle somewhere behind him followed immediately by the sound of something heavy hitting the ground, and Erd paused mid-step. He swung about in a cascade of taupe hair, ears forward and mouth parted in surprise. What in the world? In response to the sudden sound, his wings fanned out, feathers spreading as though a startled avian preparing to take flight. Was it trouble? Was it danger? Instincts kicked in, hot and quick like coals coursing through his blood, muscles bunched and coiled and ready to flee as he frantically tried to assess the situation.

A woman he did not recognize lay sprawled in the streets, appearing to have tripped only paces behind him. It was strange, Erd realized then, that he had not heard her while making his way through the streets, but then again he hadn’t exactly been paying attention. Concern was quick to replace the anxiousness rising in his breast, and before the words of distress even escaped her lips, he was taking a step forward. Wide turquoise eyes examined her momentarily from afar, and clearly she was in pain. It was only her call that drew him closer, nimble legs carrying him across dirt and stone.

“Oh, no,” he breathed out as he crossed the sparse distance between them with a clatter of tiny hooves, taking in her features of red, dappled flesh and strands of luxurious cream that hung about her dainty, feminine neck, framing her rather pretty face and multi-colored eyes. Almost frantically his wide eyes scanned her features, roaming downward, searching for any immediate bruising or hot swelling if it was as bad as she made it appear. “Don’t move, don’t move! You don’t want to make it worse.”

He had always been a bit of a bleeding heart. Ard had always exhibited caution, never one to so readily and openly trust others, but Erd, well… He knew what it was like, being thrust somewhere, in pain, and not finding any help when he had needed it most. The memories of their lives in Luminous flashed in his mind for only a moment before he forcibly shoved them from his mind’s eye, focusing instead on the injured woman in front of him.

She was a stranger, that much was obvious. Erd didn’t recognize her, and he liked to think that he was pretty familiar with the inhabitants of Terrastella by now. Maybe she was new? What a terrible welcome!

Tearing his eyes away from the injured mare, he glanced about, hoping that someone else would have heard her cries and come searching. They were a court of healers, but the amount of them was rather poor and abysmal. Atreus was nowhere around. Erd hadn’t seen him in quite a few days, but surely the Champion of Healing would know how to help. Looking back down towards her and catching her two-toned gaze once more, he bit his lip, his expression clearly torn. Ard was still too far that he couldn’t shout to get his brother’s attention. He was on his own.

“I’m sorry, there’s not much I can do. What crummy luck for you, huh? I’m sorry. Do you think you can put any weight on it? Maybe I can help you to Atreus. I bet he knows of a good salve for the pain.” Earnest, heartfelt, and innocent, Erd offered his assistance in the only way he knew how.

"Speaking."
art | bg

@Manon

Inactive Character

Many were the times that she had to fake complications to get the attention of those she needed--illnesses, injuries, obstacles, drawing in the soft-hearted and concerned to get just close enough to dig her claws into them. She was the wolf in sheep's clothing, the hidden viper lurking in the grass, with just a hint of sunshine and soft smiles. Through the struggles of growing up in the brothel she had to learn how to serve herself, how to get under the skin of both innocent and guilty, how to survive--for any less than perfect and the woman wouldn't let her see her mother. And oh how that was all her little naive soul wanted, the comfort of a parent who hadn't abandoned her, one who doted on her in a way no one else had; but how feigned it had all been, how blind Manon was until she learned true adoration from the men and women in the dark Marketplace establishments; they wanted her, used her, and reveled every moment of it.

And how it turned her into a beast with a stone heart.

It was with characteristics like his that she almost felt a pang of remorse for tricking such kind natures and turning them rough, but she had a job to do and certainly he would refuse compliance should he know the truth of what she was searching for. So she played along in their faux-virtuousness, donning the personality of an equally innocent of mind. She was hopeful that he would not see past her act, though from what she had heard of him she thought it doubtful. If she played her hand right, it should go smoothly enough until she could stash him away.

Her cries worked, for the small frame of snowy white moved back to cover their separated distance, worry lining the features of his face like a string of lit christmas lights. If he showed any signs of apprehension she ignored them, playing the part of The Hurt Girl without breaking character. While he addressed her and looked her over for potential signs of the injury she claimed, she kept her visage consistent of being in pain. She realized that if he got a close enough of a look he could recognize that there was no injury at all--and so she feigned struggle to stand despite his pleas to keep still. Legs bent underneath her slim body, hidden away for the moment from his piercing eyes, she pretended to buckle one beneath her weight. "I think I can stand, maybe, if you help me." A slight desperation was woven into her claim, another request for him to get ever closer to her.

"Thank you for turning back to me, I didn't want to be out in the dark alone while hurt..." She grimaced, taking wobbling steps forward before releasing another quiet whimper. "I can't walk very far, I think it's definitely damaged. Your Atreus, he lives in this court? I... I know someone else, with magic, who can help me..." she trailed off, despair lacing her words in a pattern. She needed him to accept going somewhere else, away from the Court where she knew someone would go looking for him if he was to be found missing. She wondered if she could be convincing enough to drag him away to Night.

Crowned head swiveled back to face him, after dropping in seeming-contemplation. "This 'someone' I speak of is in the Night Court. There is a boat just beyond here, at the shore. Could we go? Will you take me?" Perhaps if she pleaded, if she made him feel guilty enough, he would comply and she would have found her way in.
CREDITS

erd

click for character page

Dusk Court Citizen

She made to stand upright in an attempt of flailing limbs and tumbling hair, and Erd could only stand stock still as she did so. The pain that stained across her face seemed to be a wretched truth, the pinch in her brow, clench in her jaw, and panic in her eye genuine and honest. He had no reason not to believe her plight, and his sympathy only grew. She tumbled back to the ground, her legs bent beneath her and hidden from view, and his heart clenched. Oh, but how painful that must be.

“It’s alright,” he murmured gently, not really knowing how to handle anyone else quite unlike how he handled his brother during one of Ard’s many PTSD driven ‘episodes’. Surely that knowledge could be applied here? He blinked, wide pools of turquoise glittering in the evening light, his expression earnest and open, oblivious to the snake hiding beneath a pitiful visage. “I couldn’t just leave you. That wouldn’t be very nice.” He paused, lip jutting out and brows furrowed as he mulled it over. “Just, here. Steady yourself as much as you can and lean on me, if you need to. Just please try not to bend my wing too much.” The petite warlock stepped closer, his hooves scraping against dirt and grass as he came right up next to her, the grey of his legs nearly brushing against her skin.

Erd honestly had no qualms with helping her up and to some kind of healer. There was no one around to look over her, after all. A quick glance of their immediate surroundings only confirmed it. Perhaps if he were to leave the red-dappled woman and search, it wouldn’t take long to find anyone… But he loathed to leave her alone in such a state.

A small ear tipped her way as she spoke. He grinned boyishly and nodded once. “Yeah, Atreus. He’s a weird one but he’s pretty good with medicines.” Erd had honestly never dealt with those said medicines, but surely Atreus wouldn’t have gotten the Champion of Healing title if they weren’t impressive samples. The smile slowly fell from the warlock’s lips, however, his innocent expression giving way to concern and confusion. She… Didn’t want to go to Atreus? She wanted to go to the Night Court?

“Is that where you’re from? Uh…” Once more Erd glanced around, shuffling his hooves as he thought. If the boat wasn’t far, then he could take her to the boat and just fly home before Ard began to worry, right? “Sure, okay. Here. Lean up against me and I’ll take you to your boat.” Splaying his hooves just a little, his nimble, lithe legs stretching just a bit wider to brace her weight and much larger stature, Erd prepared himself to help guide the woman along. “Is your friend Moira? I met her. She’s lovely, if a little prone to grumpiness if you wake her up.”

"Speaking."
art | bg

@Manon

Inactive Character

She put on a show for him--donned a persona she played in the Night Court Marketplace quite frequently to get attention, to set up a stealth, to be doted over like a child; whatever she needed, she would get. So she reprised her role there along the cliffside because he was her next target, and oh, who could resist a damsel in distress? He certainly was playing along well, and though he showed signs of potentially seeing through her rouge he never pursued the possibility that she was lying.

She almost felt bad for how easily her trick was working.

The white pegasus might've had a truly noble heart; she didn't know of him besides his nearly indiscernible twin and generally peppy attitude. But based on the information passed along to her, he was no one to underestimate. The knowledge he knew about a secret mission to take down the Night Court was dangerous in the wrong hands, and she needed to extract what he knew first before anyone else could get hold of him. Little did she know that information given to her was wrong...

The small boy helped her up and she stepped gingerly on the leg she pretended was injured, giving him a pained smile as thanks for his kindness. She at least made sure to put most of her weight against his shoulder to avoid his wing as requested; she wasn't malicious to those who showed her a sense of decency, and the snowstorm beside her had done nothing but. She would make sure he was taken care of at the Scarab once she got him there.

If she could get him there.

She listened to him about Atreus, only knowing him by name. She had no interest unless he could be of service to her, and perhaps she should make a house visit to him later to establish a useful relationship. But quickly the conversation turned worrisome again, for he expressed doubt at her mention of the Night Court. She allowed him to process and he eventually agreed--the hand loosened its restrictive hold on her heart, and she wondered if there was anything he would say no to. The mention of Moira lit a bulb above her head; she hadn't planned on using the Night Court Emissary to her advantage, but he presented her with the perfect opportunity and she couldn't refuse such a gift. "Yes, Moira. She must be worried about me, I have been gone far too long..." she trailed off wistfully, a desolate sigh whispering between her ribs.

At the boy's agreement to help her along, Manon continued to feign inability to walk properly. "Say, do you know Moira well? She is sweet, no?" She passed along a smile, an encouragement to talk so that he wouldn't focus too much on her fake injury. The boat grew in the near distance and as they reached beachy sands she paused to allow them both to rest. "You should come with me, if you will? It won't be long, and I can thank you properly once I am home. A rare treasure from my collection, perhaps? I am certain Moira would welcome a visit as well." Coyly she tried to find any purchase she could on getting him in the boat with her in a cooperative manner. How she would hate to resort to using force on such a gentle-hearted soul.
CREDITS

@Erd i figured we could wrap this thread up in the next round of replies and move it over to the night marketplace c:

click for character page

Dusk Court Citizen

Erd really didn’t know what to expect, but upon hearing Moira’s name, any previous transgressions or uncertainties he had about this red-clad woman simply melted away. Oh. So, if she was a friend of Moira’s, then it would only be right to help her. The idea of Moira worrying about one of her own court caused the young warlock’s heart to churn in his chest and a thoughtful frown to mar his lips, his brows furrowing in a perturbed sort of way. “Oh.” The vocalization of his thought was softly uttered and easily carried away on the breeze, but the boy’s turquoise eyes remained rooted forward and focused on the task at hand.

Doing his best to help her from the precarious cliffs and down to the sandy shores, Erd could see a boat in the distance, pushed up onto the beach just enough so that it would not float away. He thought again what terrible luck the flaxen haired woman must have to come to Terrastella only to have injured herself, and realized how very sat it made him. If only he could have healed her, but alas. His magic was gone, lost and possibly never to be seen again, just as Ard’s was.

A small ear flicked in her direction and Erd grinned sheepishly. “Oh, yeah. Moira and I are really close. She’s a good friend of mine..” In all honesty, they weren’t that close, but after their somewhat bumpy meeting and the brief bit of tension that followed it, they had gotten along swimmingly. Moira was sweet, charismatic, and passionate, and Erd had quickly grown smitten with her. Ard had as well, but his brother wasn’t so inclined to openly admit it. “I hate to think of her worrying about you.”

Reaching the boat, Erd slowed to a stop when she did. A curious look overtook the boy’s pale face and he thought it over. There was a brief moment of trepidation within his chest, a cautious flutter of his heart. She wanted him to go to Denocte with her, meet with Moira, and get a reward for this? “Oh, um… You don’t need to do that.” Erd didn’t want or need a reward, but seeing Moira again would be nice. Perhaps that could be the reward in itself? But then again… If he went, Erd would be leaving Terrastella behind without having told Ard where he was going. His brother would worry and fret and surely imagine the worst, as he was prone to do. The thought of putting him through that much stress made the elder twin feel queasy.

“I don’t know if I can.” For some reason, something told him to keep his lips sealed about his brother. This citizen of the Night Court had seemed nothing but forthright and honest thus far, but perhaps it was the cruelty and abuse he had been subjected to for so long that caused him to not mention the individual that was waiting for him back home. Sucking in a deep breath, Erd mulled it over, shifting his petite hooves within the granules of sand. He bit his lip.

Abandoning her felt wrong and went against every fiber of his being. Plus, if she was a friend of Moira’s…? What would the Emissary think, learning that Erd had just abandoned one of her people? And, he was quick. There was a reason that he and Ard were Messengers for the Halcyon Unit. Flying back to Terrastella from Denocte wouldn’t take too long…

Letting out the breath he had been holding, Erd gave a reluctant nod. He glanced towards the woman’s pretty crimson face. “Okay. I’ll go with you, but I don’t need a reward. Making sure you’re alright is reward enough.” And he smiled, warm and sincere.

"Speaking."
art | bg

@Manon - Sorry for the wait! Feel free to do whatever needed for them to head off to the market!