Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Dancing Skies

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Cassilyn

The cold breeze hastily caressed her skin with icy fingers and the woman couldn’t help but shiver. Cassilyn eagerly pulled her wings closer, the feathers puffed out and acted as a sort of jacket. It was frigid, the night brought on a truly remarkable frost and the silence that rung so loudly in her ears seemed to stretch on for ages. The only sound present across the prairie was the crunch of snow beneath her hooves. It was quiet here, so quiet and lonely. The solitary organ inside her ribcage ached as her pale verdant eyes moved across the vastness before her.

The fallen queen halted and allowed her eyes to travel upwards to the heavens. The stars twinkled brightly, the crispness of the night elevated their beauty. The woman sighed and her breath appeared as a cloud before her and suddenly, the sky erupted before her. On the horizon, the air danced and swayed, the colors rich and exotic. Blues, greens and purples reflected off the shiny, ivory of her skin. The beauty enraptured the lonely girl who watched in the snow. For a moment, the cold seemed to fall away, a warmth blossomed in her belly and spread throughout her bodice. The bliss that suddenly filled her was so unexpected that a smile spread easily across her velvety lips.

Even though she hadn’t yet made it to the library she’d heard so much about, this seemed worth the many miles of travel and her tired wings. It was almost a dream, it reminded her of tales of heaven and it reminded her of The Brothers.
“How lovely,” the woman whispered as she continued to stare up at the lively night sky. The lights moved so freely, the dance effortless and the alabaster woman hoped that one day she’d be able to do the same.

@Ipomoea
OOC: Still a little rusty but it's so nice to be writing her again!

Ipomoea

forced to wander

The wind was a hungry thing, tearing hairs loose from his carefully plaited braids and sending them flying wildly all around him, like a dark, ever changing halo. Snow was stirring about his hooves, each step cold, each hoof crunching through the ice. With his small wings wrapped about his cannons, Ipomoea hurried across the plains.

He couldn’t say what exactly he was doing out here, so far from the capitol, and so late at night. He had woken from a fitful sleep, and without stopping to think, without stopping to question the strange yearning that had taken place in his chest, he’d thrown open the window and breathed in the clean, crisp air. 

For a moment, he had been still. But not for long.

The night sky had called to him, and he had answered it not with words, but with steps. One hoof after the other, his stride hardly contained to a trot, he had shrugged off the confines of the buildings and the markets and the streets and made way for open country. His heart beat in time with his gait, encouraging him step after step after step.

The court was a glittering thing behind him now, its bonfires still lighting the night air and its drum beats still echoing across the ground. But here, the smoke and firelight faded and the stars reigned supreme. The starlight had turned everything silver out here, so it was both strange and exciting everywhere he looked. But even as the walls slipped away and the only noise that graced his ears were the whisperings of the tall prairie grasses and the distant hoot of an owl, he pressed on. It wasn’t time to stop yet - but why he knew so, he couldn’t say.

His blood was hot and fast, searing his veins from the inside out. Faster and faster, his body responded to its bidding, building up and up to reach its crescendo. And only then did he stop, only then -

- the sky exploded with light.

Ipomoea stopped at last, eyes cast heavenward, watching in awe as blue and green and purple cut the sky in half, more vibrant and lovely than ever he had imagined. They sway and dance, tendrils of light weaving about each other like a couple spinning into each other’s embrace.

It reminds him of pink river dolphins, of comparing illustrations to the real thing. And a stray smile tilts his lips.

”How lovely.” Only at her words does he realize that he’s not alone, that in his rush he had failed to realize he was intruding upon someone else’s moment.

But the wonder on her face strikes a chord within him - so Ipomoea moves closer, returning his gaze to the dancing borealis.

“I never thought I’d see them in person,” he whispers back. His voice is hushed, awestruck. “I’ve never seen anything like them before.” The lights were a rare sight in Delumine, even more rare than the fabled dolphins; he knew of only two others who had claimed to see them, and both had set their stories in the very northern reaches of the court.

He falls silent again; letting the beauty of the lights speak for him, declaring their magnificence in a way that words could not capture.

having no one,
forced by my nature to
keep wandering
because wandering
was the only thing
that i believed in

and the only thing that believed in me

@cassilyn ! i love her
”here am i!“

empluvie art

Cassilyn

~

The bitterness of winter still slithered about her ankles but she’d lost herself in the beauty of the lights that danced just above her. That happiness had remained and continued to blossom in her belly, it’s warmth sent tingling tendrils of heat down her legs. Finally, she felt some reprieve from the wretched cold that seemed to never end. The night was so peaceful in those moments, the wind whistled quietly and the stars seemed to whisper silent melodies as she watched the borealis. The ivory woman had seen something like this before… it reminded her of something -- somewhere. Cassilyn couldn’t quite remember but she knew it was reminiscent of Cirrus and the beauty of the kingdom she’d once inhabited.

The midnight air was pierced by another voice and it startled the woman. Verdant eyes moved to the stranger and she found that he’d also lost himself in the heavens above them. His words were sincere and filled with the same awe she felt as they stared into the sky.
“I’ve seen something like this, but in another life, another place…” Cassilyn muttered, her voice tapered off as her eyes remained skyward.

“They are truly brilliant,” the alabaster woman exclaimed as a gale tousled her sash violently.
She couldn’t help but wonder if this is what he’d come for? Or perhaps he was lost as she was because she just couldn’t seem to make her way out of the night court. Maybe something was keeping her here? Maybe there was a reason she was here?
“Did you come to see them? Or is there another reason you’d be out here in the middle of the night?” Cassilyn asked the stranger, her voice laced with a sort of shy friendliness.
The woman had met so many new faces in her short time here and so far, she hadn’t encountered anyone who could be considered an enemy.

“I’m Cassilyn,” her voice moved through the night easily, it was carried by the chilly breeze that ruffled her pearly feathers.
~

OOC: Sorry this is so short!
Tag: @Ipomoea

Ipomoea

forced to wander

Their breaths are visible in the cold night air, twisting like ghostly snakes into the sky, spiraling around each other into they’re indistinguishable. And then they slowly, slowly dissipate, as if chased away by the brilliant colors overhead.

Ipomoea drifts ever closer, until the warmth of her skin is palpable in the space that separates them. All the while his eyes are turned to the sky, even as his ears tilt to catch her words. He wants to ask if the lights were the same, in her other life, in that other place, but something in her voice stops him. The wind steals his voice.

”Did you come to see them?”

He freezes subconsciously at her words, looking at her, briefly, from the corner of one eye. She could just as easily be asking about tonight and about the stars, as she could be talking about Denocte itself. Does she know that the Night Court was not his home, that he was a run-away, an orphan, a renegade? That he was the Regent of another Court, a Court he loved yet abandoned? Does she care?

He looks away.

Of course she doesn’t, his mind chastises him. She’s at least as much a stranger here as you. He supposes she wouldn’t have asked, had she known. There was a shyness in her voice, but a friendliness that drew the smallest of smiles to his lips.

“Yes,” he hears himself telling her, his mouth speaking of its own accord now. And he makes no effort to stop it. “We’re in a Court that never sleeps; even the sky dances the night away. I supposes I wanted to see them for myself.” He smiles absently, watching the colors expand across the sky, further and further like fire on the horizon. Like fire in the markets…

“I’m Po.”  

His voice is warm, far warmer than the cold winter air. Again his breath appears before him, frosty and spectral. He lets the silence stretch between them, the air static, the sky alive, and the wind a constant whistle in the background.

“You’re not from here.”

It is not a question; he was not from Denocte, either, so she would find no judgement in him. And yet when he turned to look at her, there was a curiosity in his gaze, a hungry look to his eye.

“Did you come here to see them?” He echoes her own question, a smile playing at his lips.

having no one,
forced by my nature to
keep wandering
because wandering
was the only thing
that i believed in

and the only thing that believed in me

@cassilyn !
”here am i!“

empluvie art