Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - Dark Secrets or Innocent Sights

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Modes

Played by Offline Dyzzie [PM] Posts: 214 — Threads: 26
Signos: 260
Dusk Court Battlemage
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 498 Summer]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 30 — Atk: 50 — Exp: 88  |    Active Magic: Hydrokinesis  |    Bonded: Yukime (Ice Serpent)

Below Zero

my frost philosophy will put no curse on me

Dusk was only just beginning to give way to night as the mare stood at the start of the macabre bridge, her form silhouetted against the last rays of a setting sun. She had planned well for this venture, napping during the day and rising with the first colors of the setting sun painting the sky alive. She had started her trek towards the Island at that point, intending to use the cover of night to find the secrets to the island – to prove the darkness it must hold, the evil she was convinced lay with in its’ soil. Now she stood at the start of the bridge that had founded her discomfort. The first time she’d crossed it, staring at the pearls and clams suspended in a rocky tomb, and dozens of other trinkets of the water trapped and struggling among the stone and hardened lava; she had been filled with despair and a sense of loss. Now, she would force herself to walk past the trapped citizens of her home world so she might learn the truth of the Island ahead.

As she began to make her way through the darkening horizon, the mare herself was seemingly going through a transformation at the molecular level. The setting sun was activating certain chemicals, causing a rampage of chemical collisions within the follicles of that dark blue fur. It was a subtle transformation that would grow stronger the further the sun sank, and the more darkness that took the land. She was hardly focused on it, however, far too used to the effects the night produced. Instead her attention turned towards the bridge she was crossing, dainty hooves clacking against the hard rock, seeming to impress the fact she was alone onto her mind, for alone she was. It had been a large reason behind her chosen time of exploration. Less others to get in the way, less others around – it might encourage the island to be . . . . its’ self. For surely the front it wore in the daylight was not what the island was. She was certain of it. And she was just as equally determined to get to the bottom of it, as well.

Her steps carried her forward, as her coat pitched in hue, the dark blue selections starting to take on a cyan hue, lightening considerably the more time passed. It was a subtle change that would grow more pronounced the darker her surroundings got. As the night came into full effect, and the aquatic equine reached the end of the bridge, the slight cyan touch was now a glowing hue down the length of her sides, legs and tail, the female casting her own light. The dual set of eyes set into her face glowed with a matching cyan as well, and she moved with ease, trusting in her ability to see in the dark, illuminating the world with her own bioluminescence, even as the cyan seemed to wash out the rest of her pelt in colors. She moved with determination, her head held high as she waited for the island to prove what it really was to her.

The mare moved slowly, the island oddly silent as she moved through the sands, her steps light and instantly adapting to a more familiar terrain (she’d barely avoided stumbling OFF of the side of the lava-rock bridge earlier), grateful for the time being to be on a type of ground that she didn’t have to worry about forgetting her land-legs and falling face first. Her steps had turned graceful with the first touch of sand surrounding her hooves, and she moved with a grace near identical to what she had when she was beneath the waves. However, that didn’t stop her from distrusting the island – and she knew her answers lay beyond the genial beach. Her steps turned her in the direction that would take her into the depths of island, into the foresty center that hid untolds wonders (and to her imagination, horrors).

She stood at the edge of the beach staring into the darkness of tropical trees and where she imagined they most grow more dense, trying to build up her determination, her strength, her courage. She had to do this, she had to discover the truth.

Thoughts
Speech
@
Notes: For anyone interested in joining her in rooting out what secrets this island may have, perhaps getting together an exploration party might make her feel a little better about taking on the Island in the dark. Anyone welcome!

i feel no cold, i feel no fear inside my mind

Now I'm full of energy

[Image: i-jTNwWx8.png]

Played by Offline Chaosy [PM] Posts: 143 — Threads: 21
Signos: 0
Dusk Court Blacksmith
Male [He/Him/His]  |  Immortal [Year 498 Summer]  |  21 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 49  |    Active Magic: Solar Manipulation  |    Bonded: Telum (Dragon)

Sol was stretching his wings, all four of the massive feathered things, as the darkness started to settle around him. With just the barest amount of light, his golden accents almost seemed to glow in a way that made him feel a surge of pride in his appearance and the massive stallion that he had grown into through the years of chaos and strife.

Clearing the thoughts from his chaotic mind, the Dawn Court merchant soared away from the court that he had found himself in and toward the bridge that had been a source of fascination since he had noticed it. From the air, he noted a strange figure traversing the hardened rock, the pelt glowing a soft blue in a way that he had never seen before. Angling down toward the figure, he began to back wing for a landing just behind where the creature was moving toward the island.

His hooves met the rock with a soft clatter, the sound being quickly dulled by the hissing of the top layer of lava melting at the heat of his hooves. Settling to earth and getting his legs used to his weight again, he watched to see what the figure did... Wait... That was a mare... He thought anyway...

Her scent was distinctly feminine, yet tinged with a salty tang and something else. Nothing he had ever encountered before and it was something that he found fascinating.

"Exploring in the night... That could be a very scary task..." He spoke, his words neither loud nor soft as the velvety tones erupted from his maw. Sol flicked his tail and watched the mare to see what she would say or do at his presence.

Below Zero

Dusk Court Battlemage
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 498 Summer]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 30 — Atk: 50 — Exp: 88  |    Active Magic: Hydrokinesis  |    Bonded: Yukime (Ice Serpent)

Below Zero

The air around the island seemed to be buzzing with activity and excitement. A generalized feel of eagerness at the approach of explorer. However, it was too soon. The truth hadn't been relieved beyond the original note. And Bel was far too new to Novus to know much of the stories of the Gods. To know what, or rather who Time was referring to. If she had, perhaps she'd have treated her decision to explore the island in the dark of night. She would have treated it with more caution, more . . . . delicacy.

As it was, Bel was still eager to prove the fact she feared darkness and evil hid behind the guise of the beautiful island. She had felt the wrong-ness of the location, the whispered secrets hidden in the sands, the feeling of something not being as it seemed, and her mind had jumped elsewhere. It brought back the stories of foreign planets. Of dangerous creatures, leviathans, who would hunt you down for food and sport. Of a naturally glowing atmosphere that lit the entire world at night. Of odd creatures, and an empress who ruled the sea before being trapped away by those who wished to understand the planet. Before contagion had broken out. Before the virus spread to the waters, and like those who researched and tried to solve the mysteries, her own people had escaped the planet too before they could be infected.

But those were just stories told by the elders, there was little truth to it. Who actually believed in . . . . aliens. Bel treated the stories as stories, but even she knew she didn't seem normal of this earth. She didn't fit into the mold of earthling. She didn't seem normal. Trapped in a form of two worlds, half aquatic, half land-based. Her natural protections against the cold seemed to be edges for more extreme weather and cold conditions than what this land, this planet had to offer. But the stories were just stories, surely. Still, this island brought them back to her in force, reminding her that not everything was always as it had seemed. This island, she was convinced, held it's own secrets, and she was just as equally convinced that like her own people's secrets, it would hold it's cards close to it's chest.

For now, her attention moved back to the task at hand, trying not to give away her uncertainty and fear as she stared into the forest. Her body glowed with cyan markings, literally illuminating both her form and the surrounding area in a way not typically seen above the depths of this planet's oceans (and if the stories were true, fit far more into the wildlife of another planet completely). She would be hard to miss, a vibrantly colored coral among a bed of seagrasses. She felt more like a spineless jellyfish though, her limbs locked into place to keep from shaking even as her tail flicked with unreleased pint of anxious energy.

What was she really doing here? Was it truly such a good idea to test the island . . . a part of her hoped another might come - more than one others to be honest. A whole pod of adventures to discover the island's secrets, a whole pod to take on what ever the island may throw their way - from sand-monsters to trees that limbs may try to swipe you out of existence. A sharp shake of her head quickly rid those thoughts. She was no guppy! She needed to be strong, she needed to discover the truth. She needed to figure out this . . . this island. Before others stumbled into traps, swallowed by the unsettling feeling of the island.

She had a mission . . . that was distracted by the sudden hissing that had her head spinning towards the hardened lava bridge, her mind immediately painting the image of the hard rock reducing back to it's heated and liquid state trapping her on the island. As her eyes lit upon the black and gold figure of a . . . . . large . . . . beast, she froze for a whole different reason. Through the darkness her eyes peered at the large form, thick with muscles, large wings feathering out from where it had landed with a hissing sizzle. Alarm raised it's ugly head as she feared this was the beast the island must surely cater to! A large creature with jagged teeth, and a taste of fle- oh . . . . it was another horse.

As he moved closer, she felt a sort of relief as she began to make out more equine features, proving indeed he was a Pegasus of sorts (she was certain she had counted one set of wings too many though), black and gold that seemed to blend into the night. One could hardly blame her for assuming the worst at first. Illuminated from below by re-introduced lava had cast his heavily furred lower limbs into a red tinged inky site. Mixed that with a dark appearance had him blending into the night, silhouetted into a form of danger and horrid cryptic depictions. As he moved closer he seemed less of a cryptic, and more of just a large, and dark stallion. Hopefully only in coloring.

He spoke suddenly, and her finned ears flicked back in uncertainty at his words, though his voice held no clue to any intentional threat, even if they could be perceived as such. Dual set of eyes narrowed in tandem, both focusing on him briefly, before the second set seemed to do a quick surveillance of the island's middle behind her (least something sneak up on her while she was distracted, she wouldn't put it past the mysterious island to throw such a wrench at her . . . she wondered when she decided the island could think and act on it's own). The majority of her attention remained on the black beast, starting to recognize him from earlier, when the unicorn statue and note had first appeared.

She kept her expression calm, her eyes narrowed and cautious as she answered him, "Scary perhaps, but with less souls for the Island to try and trick, I thought it be easier for it to relinquish it's hold on it's secrets." Her gaze returned to the island, her head turning to focus on the center, even as her smaller eyes kept tabs on the stallion. The island seemed to hold more secrets than the story of Davy Jones' Piracy, and while Bel had no desire to drown in an attempt to dredge them to existence, she was a mare on a mission. She flicked her finned ears forward as a sound from the depths of the island was heard, before turning back to the stallion, "This island has it's mysteries . . . I intend to recover them from where they're buried. It might be a bit like sorting seaweed from seagrass, but that won't stop me. I have no time to be terrified. I'm no spineless jellyfish . . . . and this island isn't going to have me swimming away like a shark's on my fins." She added with a firm nod, even if part of her words were meant to reassure herself. She was no guppy . . . she was a betta; a siamese fighting fish, and like a warrior, she'd tackle this mystery.

Thoughts
Speech
@ @Sol Bestiam
Notes: This is still open for others as well! Bel is going to want a party to brave the land properly :P As a timeline note - this thread is BEFORE the relic hunt, and as thus, it's IC-ly not had the rumors spreading around Novus yet.

Now I'm full of energy

Dusk Court Blacksmith
Male [He/Him/His]  |  Immortal [Year 498 Summer]  |  21 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 49  |    Active Magic: Solar Manipulation  |    Bonded: Telum (Dragon)

Sol Bestiam
Sol smirked as he watched her turn to him and take in his massive form. He was always amused when others first met him and had a chance to see the massive size that was his own form. But at the same time, he was taking the time to look her over. Dual eyes caught his attention and was fascinating. He had 4 wings, so he supposed that the idea of 4 eyes was not so strange.

"Scary perhaps, but with less souls for the Island to try and trick, I thought it be easier for it to relinquish it's hold on it's secrets. This island has it's mysteries . . . I intend to recover them from where they're buried. It might be a bit like sorting seaweed from seagrass, but that won't stop me. I have no time to be terrified. I'm no spineless jellyfish . . . . and this island isn't going to have me swimming away like a shark's on my fins." Sol grinned as he listened to her ramble on. "I would not be able to sort seaweed from seagrass, pesonally... Never seen either of them." The laugh escaped his throat without much difficulty. "However, sometimes having another set of eyes, or hooves, can be beneficial to any adventure. You never know when you might get stuck and need help or even more eyes to search for clues."

Turning his gaze to the mountain again, he allowed the golden orbs to travel over the dark shapes and felt a surge of excitement at the idea of finding things that he had not seen before. "Who knows... maybe we will find monsters, or perhaps you will just need a strong, muscular stallion to haul things back for you." His dark velvet voice rumbled over the world around him as he stretched out his wings and tucked them in again, taking the momentary pause to settle them more comfortably against his sides.

@Random Events @Below Zero

"Speaking."

Dusk Court Battlemage

Below Zero

Bel wasn't impressed. Not by his smirk, not by his general air of being, not by whomever this stallion seemed to think he was. Something about him had already set Bel's hurricane warning siren blaring. He was trouble on the horizon - she was convinced . . . she wasn't sure what had made her decide he was as much trouble as she felt he must be, but that was her immediate take on the oversized stallion.

And really, he was oversized! He made her feel like she was standing next to a whale shark, greatly diminished in comparison. Her dual sets of eyes remained fairly focused on him, for a moment before she'd allowed herself to respond to his less than reassuring introduction. Even as her primary gaze drew away, her attention remained partly on him, watching him with obvious caution. She didn't comment on his lack of having seen either seaweed or seagrass, deeming the bit unworthy conversing on when focusing on the task at hand of the island being a dangerous temptress with a secret worthy a lifetime of looking. When he did comment on another set of eyes and hooves on an adventure, both sets of eyes returned to him once more, watching and calculating, "Well, I'm not foolish enough to turn down help . . . " The glowing mare admitted with a slight nod of her head.

She turned back towards the forest only to tense up at his next words, immediately cutting her eyes towards him, narrowing until only glowing slits of the cyan hue were visible against a grayed, night-darkened face. "I am plenty capable enough on my own to handle anything I come across, may it be monsters of land, or items needed transport. I certainly don't need assistance." She retorted quickly, a slight ice to her tone at the thought of being any but self-reliant. It had been engrained at a very, very early age. You had to rely only on yourself, because in the worst of emergencies, there was only you to take care of yourself before the pod could reform in safety. She didn't need anyone's help during those scenarios of split-up and escape, she certainly didn't need a 'strong, muscular stallion'.

Her shoulders tensed, straightening slightly as she stood taller, her gaze still narrowed into ominous slits as she stared him down, "As it is, I'm not looking for pirates' treasure, or monsters. I'm just intending to fully explore this island and find its' secrets. I have no intentions of locating trouble." She stated strongly, before moving to head into the forest, "If you intend to school together, leave those kind of masochistic thoughts on the beach, and let's go." She added, even as she silently prayed for someone - anyone else to join this unlikely duo on this mission. Both for the additional numbers, and also to hopefully keep the stallion distracted so she had to deal with him less. Barely a few moments in each others' company, and she was already feeling like it would be a long night.

Thoughts
Speech
@Sol Bestiam
Notes: He irritated her, lol. She might be just a tad cranky at the idea of ever having to rely on another for help :P especially a stranger at that. As mentioned before - thread is still open to other participants as well!

Now I'm full of energy

Dusk Court Blacksmith

Sol Bestiam

"Well, I'm not foolish enough to turn down help . . . " This little creature seemed wise, and she could be fun to get to know... Or at least that was his first thought. Apparently he shoved his hoof into his mouth with his next words and it took him by surprise.

"I am plenty capable enough on my own to handle anything I come across, may it be monsters of land, or items needed transport. I certainly don't need assistance. As it is, I'm not looking for pirates' treasure, or monsters. I'm just intending to fully explore this island and find its' secrets. I have no intentions of locating trouble. If you intend to school together, leave those kind of masochistic thoughts on the beach, and let's go." Sol flattened his ears in shock as he eyed her with wide golden eyes. What the heck? He had just been excited and talking about what kind of fun they could find! Tilting his head, he looked at her carefully and wondered what he had said to make the calm and amusing female so insulted.

"I think we had a bit of a misunderstanding. I didnt mean anything negative by it... I am simply intrigued by the island and what we could find. And two beings are better than being alone when it comes to adventures. A second set of hooves to help carry or deal with surprises is not a bad thing. I mean... Unless you would prefer me to leave you alone" His response was gentle and he had taken a step back to let her have space to figure things out.

"I do apologize if I misspoke... I am still getting used to being around others, let alone mares. I have spent a lot of time alone lately and am a bit unused to filtering my thoughts." He apologized with a dip of his head. "If you would still like me to accompany you, I would be honored to do so."

@Below Zero - @
"Speaking."

Dusk Court Battlemage

Below Zero

The topic had gone well up until Bel had felt a little bit insulted by the idea of having to rely on another. At his quick backtrack, however, the aqua-equine realized that perhaps she was the one to be apologizing, for clearly he hadn't meant to come across the way he had. As she backtracked and thought on his words, she realized that perhaps she had taken his words wrong . . . a slight heat rose to her features, mirrored in the warming of those vapors trailing off of her skin, "Uhm, no, I'm sorry . . . I think I just took your words wrong. I took them as a little mare being unable to handle anything by herself, you clearly did not . . ." She finally admitted with a slight, apologetic smile, "So, I'm sorry. Let's start this over, okay?"

She smiled warmly, welcomingly, "I would be happy for any companionship on this little adventure. And I'll try hard not to assume you're questioning my abilities along the way." She teased, hoping he'd take her words as the meeting in the middle phrasing she had intended them for. "And you're right, two are better than one when having to adventure, and a second set of fins would definitely be a help. Two, or . . . three sets of eyes to keep an eye out for monsters in the dark would help too. Least we get the jump on by some night-time nasty." She added with a laugh, "Some predators hunt in the dark, and I'm probably like a glowing beacon for food to them" She mused, motioning the the illuminating effect she had, casting light on both him and the surrounding foliage.

She headed towards the forest then, motioning for him to tag along, "So, are you typically the type to explore, or has the island just perked your interest and curiosity?" She asked as they walked - to help pass the time as they journeyed through the darkness to see what might be found.

Thoughts
Speech
@Sol Bestiam
Notes: Lol, she is so much more forgiving than Cally. She's all 'hey, it's cool. My bad. Let's explore.' As mentioned, still available for others to join too. Just follow her pale cyan glow :P

Now I'm full of energy

Dusk Court Blacksmith

Sol Bestiam

"Uhm, no, I'm sorry . . . I think I just took your words wrong. I took them as a little mare being unable to handle anything by herself, you clearly did not . . . So, I'm sorry. Let's start this over, okay?" Sol smiled at her as she apologized as well. "I think, as long as you dont act like you cannot handle something, I will be very unlikely to think that about you. You clearly can handle things on your own." He grinned as he spoke, glad that they seemed to have come to an understanding. And the little aquatic mare could definitely handle the world with her own hooves. She was a spunky little thing!

"I would be happy for any companionship on this little adventure. And I'll try hard not to assume you're questioning my abilities along the way. And you're right, two are better than one when having to adventure, and a second set of fins would definitely be a help. Two, or . . . three sets of eyes to keep an eye out for monsters in the dark would help too. Least we get the jump on by some night-time nasty. Some predators hunt in the dark, and I'm probably like a glowing beacon for food to them" Sol nearly laughed at her comment, holding it in at the last second. "I have to say... we are an interesting pair. One with extra wings and hooves that have a tendency to cause small fires... that thankfully fizzle out within a few moments. The other with extra eyes and glowing like a beacon." And indeed, the pair would make one interesting pair to run across, particularly in the darkness. Tossing his head, he stretched his muscles and started after her, his hooves indeed making soft sizzling sounds and leaving a trail of glowing prints for a few steps behind him. "And if any night time predators come across us... I will gladly help drive them away." He almost said he would protect her, but he had a feeling that she did NOT need his protection. The last thing that he wanted to do was to make her feel the way that he had accidentally made her feel with his first words.

"So, are you typically the type to explore, or has the island just perked your interest and curiosity?" Sol frowned as he strode beside her. "Originally... I hated exploring. I grew up and was content to try to be the strongest where I was. Things went... badly... and I left home. I guess I have been exploring ever since. But the island is a curious thing that demands answers to be found. So, a little of both I suppose. You?" It was more than he usually spoke of his past, something about the little mare made him feel at ease... Until he realized that he had been an idiot and had not even introduced himself yet.

"I am Sol Bestiam, by the way... Though everyone just calls me Sol." He said, golden eyes traveling to where she was walking beside him.

@Below Zero
"Speaking."
Notes Sol likes her <3

Dusk Court Battlemage

Below Zero

The slight misunderstanding was over before it had even had a chance to properly begin, which was likely a good thing, as Bel had no desire going up against such a large stallion if he was angry. She tilted her head when he spoke, returning his grin with her own calm smile, the soft vapors shifting a slightly warmer temperature, almost a touch of humidity to match the bright and warm air of the island. “Oh, I assure you, I most definitely won’t act like I can’t handle something. Confidence, after all, is likely eighty percent of the success to anything. Act like you can do it, and you shall.” She mused, tone almost playful, “I like to imagine I can handle just about anything thrown at me.” She agreed, her tone a touch more serious with this as she thought in regards to some of those things that she had done just that with – handled regardless of the situation.

The mare tilted her head when he called them an ‘interesting pair’ an amused smile gracing her gentle features at his explanation, nodding her head in agreement, “Ah, I imagine we’d draw many a second glances . . . . although, I am curious . . . how do you fly with an extra set of wings, I think they’d get in the way of one another.” She asked with sudden curiosity, her mind a lit with tales of multi-winged foals flapping their wings into a knot. Now there was an amusing story to tell the next time she found one willing to listen. Surely good for a laugh or two. She nodded when he spoke of the night predators he’d assist in driving away, her expression pleasantly relieved, “I’m grateful. Two angry, flailing sets of hooves are always better than one. And one burn from your set might have them running away before I could even do any damage.” She might be the sort to advocate in her ability to take care of herself, but she wouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth – or more particularly the hooves.

As they began their trek into the woods, there was a certain shift in the air, her own vapors heating to combat the sudden chill, the promise of darkness with in the tendrils of leafy green and bountiful fruits and blooms. It was there in the way the birds followed your progress with their eyes, as if you might suddenly becoming the morning worm they were looking for. In the slight glimpses of the big cats who seemed to keep an eye on you even as they refused to truly give way their position. Something truly wrong with this place, that was what it was. The island was dark, dangerous, with secrets deeper than its foundation, and young Bel was left wondering if she really wanted to dig them up.

She was grateful for the company and conversation to distract herself with, glancing to the stallion as he spoke of originally hating to explore. Her curiosity peaked when he mentioned things going badly and leaving home, but she knew well enough from her own experiences that others had to be willing to give up the whys, even if they spoke of the whats. She nodded lightly to him, her gaze turning back to the foliage, “I’ve explored my whole life . . . where I lived before, the tides I swam through, it was both a way to pass time, and maintain safety. It was just as much about locating something knew as it was finding the safe places in an area, or the places to ignore. After leaving the Pod and heading ashore, my curiosity met a new level. Living primarily beneath the waves, the land is a whole new world to me, I wanted to see it all . . . but I possess a great curiosity, and both the need to explore, and discover had me approaching the island . . . the longer I stay, the more I worry about its’ dangers though . . . .” She fell quiet, her expression troubled to a degree as she thought of just what dangers hid among the brush and blooms.

His next words startled her, and she turned towards him, blinking in surprise, and suddenly grateful for the blue tint to her fur that might obscure the sudden heat to her face, “Oh dear, have I forgotten to introduce myself. I am so sorry. Mother raised me better than that, I really do have the manners fitting a damselfish! My name is Below Zero, but please call me Bel. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Sol.

Thoughts
Speech
@Sol Bestiam
Notes: Late reply, but a reply. Needed something to do for the final hours at work.

Now I'm full of energy

Dusk Court Blacksmith

Sol Bestiam

“Oh, I assure you, I most definitely won’t act like I can’t handle something. Confidence, after all, is likely eighty percent of the success to anything. Act like you can do it, and you shall. I like to imagine I can handle just about anything thrown at me.” Sol chuckled as he listened to her. "I will have to remember that. Confidence is not always my strong suit... Needless to say, I have been through plenty that has shaken it. But I am sure that you are more than capable to handle anything that the world, and this island, throw at you." He replied, feeling very glad that he had met the unusual mare and thoroughly enjoying his time speaking to her.

“Ah, I imagine we’d draw many a second glances . . . . although, I am curious . . . how do you fly with an extra set of wings, I think they’d get in the way of one another.” Sol opened his mouth to speak... then closed it and laughed. "Lots and lots of practice. Trust me... I tied myself into knots that my own parents had trouble sorting out. Best way to explain it, I flap them both together. I lift the fore set a few seconds before the back, but then push down with the back before the fore. I basically use the rear set for power and the fore set for soaring and keeping myself going the right way. " He answered, trying to figure out how to describe the use of each to a mare without wings of her own. It was the first time anyone had asked and the memories of how he had learned was enough to make him struggle not to laugh like a mad man. He had looked like an idiot at the time and was glad that he was competent enough to use the massive wings in a way that didnt make him look dumb. "It is kind of a balancing act. Cant use one set faster than the other really... That is the fastest way to a crash landing that hurts more than I expected."

“I’m grateful. Two angry, flailing sets of hooves are always better than one. And one burn from your set might have them running away before I could even do any damage.” Sol nodded and shot a glance at his hooves as they traversed the forest. They were still lighting small fires as he moved and he felt a pang of frustration. Sometimes he really disliked the fact that he started flames that destroyed a ring of the plant life. Funny... As a youth, he hadnt cared in the slightest that he was damaging the world around him with his scalding hooves. It amused him, particularly in the dark. "I think we would both be able to scare away any that came at us. But it is nice to know that we have each other's backs as we explore." He murmured, his voice just loud enough to be heard over the nighttime noises of the island.

“I’ve explored my whole life . . . where I lived before, the tides I swam through, it was both a way to pass time, and maintain safety. It was just as much about locating something knew as it was finding the safe places in an area, or the places to ignore. After leaving the Pod and heading ashore, my curiosity met a new level. Living primarily beneath the waves, the land is a whole new world to me, I wanted to see it all . . . but I possess a great curiosity, and both the need to explore, and discover had me approaching the island . . . the longer I stay, the more I worry about its’ dangers though . . . .” Sol nodded as he listened, taking care not to trip on a branch that appeared in his path. "I would imagine that the sea was a whole different type of world. I never even learned how to swim, so the idea of being under the waves is pretty foreign. I wonder what my hooves would do under water..." His thoughts veered off as he spoke, his words softening as he once again looked at the golden hooves that flashed in the glow from her coat and the flames being left in the dirt. Would they boil the water or would the water cool them in a way that they hadnt been since he was a foal? Shaking his head, he shoved his focus back to Bel. Why was she so easy to talk to? It was unnerving in ways. "I suppose you deserve to know, since you have been walking with me. I did awful things as a colt. My time at home culminated with an attack on a filly. She and I... we butted heads. I wanted her to become my mate, my queen... She was beautiful and intelligent and so full of life. I had been raised thinking that anything I desired would be mine and had a bit of a temper... The filly turned me down... She laughed in my face..." Sol paused and shook his head, guilt and revulsion at the colt that he had been threatening to overwhelm him. "To say that I had a tempter tantrum would be an understatement. I saw red... I honestly dont even remember the event itself. When I came back to what was going on... she was nearly dead and my sire was shoving me away from her. " That had been the day that he was exiled from the herd that he had been set to rule... The day that his entire world had dissolved and he had to learn how to be a normal stallion and not a complete jerk. "Before you write me off completely and send me on my way, I will let you know that it was over a year ago and I have done everything I could to repent other than go find her. I was banned from ever returning to the herd. I do not lash out in anger and I have a fairly good control on my temper. I have never told anyone that wasnt there that day..." He hastily explained, hoping that she would not push him away too.

“Oh dear, have I forgotten to introduce myself. I am so sorry. Mother raised me better than that, I really do have the manners fitting a damselfish! My name is Below Zero, but please call me Bel. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Sol.” Sol chuckled and nodded. "The pleasure is all mine, milady." He answered, dipping his head in a respectful bow.

@Below Zero
"Speaking."
Notes: Apparently Sol trusts Bel <3

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »