Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - all together now,

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Rae [PM] Posts: 301 — Threads: 41
Signos: 15
Inactive Character

The last time he came to the Tinea Swamp, he left with no intention of ever returning.

It was not the kind of place that called to him. Eik’s soul needed solid ground and a wide open sky. His thoughts needed space to unfold, to multiply, exponentially, as they so loved to do– from one sprung two. From two, four. From four, sixteen, and so on until he had so many thoughts there were not enough words, in any language, to capture them.

In the swamp he felt too close to his own mind. Claustrophobia is what they called it, he learned shockingly late in life– where he grew up, they did not have words like claustrophobia or vocation or emissary. His people were simple, and beautiful, and fierce.

(And, let’s not forget, dead. They were all dead.)

So it follows logically that Eik is not here because this place calls to him. It is not Solterra and it is not Isra and he does not feel right here. He dislikes the squelching sound his hooves make in the wet earth and the way the sound carries eerily. He has the constant sense of being watched, but every time he turns his head there’s no one there.

They said there was a witch who lived here, in the swamp. They said many things about her, ranging from reasonable to ludicrous– she was a spiritual guide that dressed herself in frog skins, she would heal all that ails you but only if you promised her your firstborn… things like that, rumors that carried a lot of superstition and absurdity but, if you picked through them judiciously, you could find bits and pieces of truth, or what seems like truth.

Eik comes with no expectations and a skeptical (but curious!) mind. He can see how the future fans out before him, many paths that weave and wander. Some are brightly lit and well traveled, others are thick with thorns and brush. He does not know where any of them lead, or which he should take. But it’s always been like that. He’s always been like that, acutely aware of all the options he must leave behind with every step forward he takes.

(and yet, how often it seems he is not walking, step by step, but floating down a river, letting something–some one– else guide the path)

But things are different now. Something has changed. (Let's say it, all together now, he’s going to be a father)

He arrives at the hut, right about where all the rumors said it would be. A gentle breeze stirs the wind chimes. Their song calls to him, makes him feel… at peace. This place is not at all what he expected it to be like.

(did we say he came with no expectations? ah, well… he thought he didn’t.)

Just as he is about to knock on the door, it opens.

E I K
and you keep telling yourself
there is no smell of war in me
but why else would this feel like madness

art by Pherigo

@Corrdelia I hope this is okay! Let me know if you would like me to change anything <3

Time makes fools of us all

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Corrdelia

strangeness and
charm

It was a rather quiet morning, which suited Corrdelia very well. Lately her mind was abuzz with thoughts of the island and the relic and gods. Her curiosity lay more with the stories than finding the relic itself. She had no use for something blessed by the gods as she had many offerings of her own that she set out daily. Besides, she had yet to have a strong connection with the gods of these lands just yet. It seemed… wrong to seek out a relic for simply pleasure or the desire to gain a prize.

Today, she took a break from the chaos in her mind. It was a day to clear the chakras and ground herself again. A sweet smelling incense had been lit and sat in the burner on the table. The burner itself was shaped like a cauldron and Corr watched as the tendrils of smoke rose up and up. She sipped her lavender tea that she just made a few minutes ago. It soothed her throat as it went down, still perfectly warm.

This tranquil space was exactly what she needed. Even Hāsta was not in, so her thoughts were not interrupted by the crow's grumbling. The bird had decided to go out and find food, which was perfectly fine for Corr. As much as she liked her companion, having breaks from each other was not a bad thing.

The mare was noticing lately a new type of magic stirring within her. It was intriguing but draining, hence the need for this relaxing day. Now as she was around others, she was seeing quick flashes of color and a wave of emotions would come over her. It seemed to have something to do with auras and feeling the emotions of others, but she wasn't sure how to control it just yet. As tired as it made her to focus so much on this power, she was excited at all the possibilities it would mean. For one, her healing work would improve immensely with this ability and she could help so many if she could just figure it out. Well, as always, these things took time.

It seemed she was not going to get much of a break as she was suddenly overcome with a strong sense of nerves. It was faint, but grew stronger, almost like a cloud that was becoming grayer and grayer. Someone had to be coming.

Corr stood and set her tea down on the table next to her chair. Slowly, she walked up to the window and looked out to see someone coming up to her door. With a smile on her face, she unlatched the door upon their arrival to save them the trouble.

When she headed over to the entrance, she opened the door further and came face to face with a man of white and gray. He was a stranger to her and she noticed a faint lemon yellow glow around him.

"Why good morning, Sir!" she greeted with a friendly smile. "Have you come for a reading? Or perhaps a cup of tea? I've got a fresh pot of lavender on the stove over here. Come in, come in!" Corr gestured for the man to follow her inside and walked over to her teapot to pour him a cup just in case. If the waves of anxiety she sensed were from him, he would need it. Though, considering no one was following him, it was likely this man. The poor dear.

"I'm Corrdelia Maude, it's lovely to meet you!" she said excitedly, using her telekinesis to whisk the tea cup over to the man as an offering. "And what do they call you?"

This was the part she enjoyed, meeting a stranger and getting their name. Then all the pieces came together as they spoke and maybe later went through a reading. It was like a story unfolding or pieces of a puzzle coming together to form a full picture. Corr hoped this man was not in too much trouble, but either way, she would gladly do what she could to help if needed.

@Eik oof, sorry this took me a while <3
credits

Inactive Character

He had not known what to expect, except the unexpected. Still, the mare’s warmth and energy catch him off guard. He had thought she would, at the very least, be a little eerie. Instead she reminds him of someone caught out of place and time, untouched by war and gods and magic– or at least strong enough of mind to be touched by these things and still rise above. To float, and not sink, when the tide comes in.

But  Novus was continuously surprising Eik. Each time he thought he had it down– like thinking he at least had an idea of what the woman who lived in the swamp would be like– he was wrong. It was a constant lesson in humility, the one trait he had in abundance yet was constantly learning more about.

Surprised into silence, he takes a hesitant step through the doorway.

The small hut had that one strange quality of all homely spaces; it seemed bigger on the inside than the outside. It needed to be big– it was packed with… stuff. The clutter instantly reminded him of the inside of his mind. Even though he did not see the patterns, he knew they were there, he knew there was an order to the chaos. The scroll that laid on the table was not misplaced or forgotten about, it was simply waiting to be returned to. The same could be said for the dying (dead?) plant in the eastern window, or the small bundle of something (sage?) that seemingly lay discarded in the corner.

And what about Eik, where does he fit in to the picture? The room seems to welcome him without question– did he deserve such a welcome?– embracing him as though he was already known. And his hostess, so quick to sweep him inside, pour the tea, introduce herself. Corrdelia Maude, a proper name– his feels limp and lacking in comparison. “I’m Eik. Just Eik.” A weak smile, like there’s a joke somewhere but he doesn’t have the energy for the punchline. The mare’s sunny demeanor does not do much to raise his somber spirits.

After his eyes flit from wall to wall, taking in… well, not all of the space (every time you look, something new seems to emerge) but much of it, his attention returns to Corrdelia Maude. He takes a sip of the lavender tea, both to be polite and spare himself from speaking. “Hmm, this is good.” It was not a lie. It would also not be a lie to say he preferred water. But water does not have the same soothing effect, does it? Eik takes another contemplative sip. He might see how someone could get used to drinking this stuff.

The silence stretches too thin for the expectation in the air. “I don’t know why I’m here,” he blurts out plainly, eyes resting on the bird skull around Corrdelia’s neck instead of meeting her gaze. He knows that he increasingly feels torn in two directions: love and duty, Denocte and Solterra. He knows he must choose, knows that maybe he already has, and the choosing will hurt. But coming to the stranger with the cards was a whim, probably a foolish one– he does not even know how to put into words the tides that tug at his heart. “I heard you give advice. Can you help someone who does not know what questions to ask?

E I K
and you keep telling yourself
there is no smell of war in me
but why else would this feel like madness

art by Pherigo

@Corrdelia <33

Corrdelia

strangeness and
charm

The man seemed nervous, but he did take her offering of tea. She was certain once he drank enough it would do the trick. After all, she had been doing this a while.

"Well, 'Just Eik'," she chuckled, mostly amused at her own terrible joke. "I am glad our paths crossed today. Do make yourself at home."

Corr watched him and he did indeed seem quite worried about something. She could feel the nerves settling in to her own psyche and she had to keep reminding herself that these were not her own feelings. She took another sip of her own tea to try and keep calm when Eik commented on the brew.

"Aw, thank you, dear! I've been gathering and putting together my own tea blends for years, so I'm glad my hard work has paid off. Really soothes the soul, you know." Her eyes drifted over to her messy cupboards of herbs and spices. It was an art really. Something she learned during her time growing up in Astreas. She had many fond memories picking herbs with her sister.

Eik admitted he had no idea why he had come here but was seeking advice and it made Corrdelia smile. "Ah, that is the question though isn't it. Why are you here? Sometimes our subconscious knows, or it's that little guardian spirit nudging you forward that you never knew about. But of course I can help! Come, come."

She gestured for him to follow her over to the wooden table by the fireplace. On its surface were intricate patterns etched in gold resembling the constellations. Sitting side by side were two different tarot decks that she used for her readings. They each had their own significant meanings, but were helpful for different reasons.

"Take a seat and make yourself comfortable," she instructed while setting her tea cup down. She also lit a stick of incense and placed the burner in the center of the table. "It usually helps to take some deep breaths and relax so you can have a focused mind. Without a set question, your thoughts can become muddled and it might create a smoke screen for the messages I seek for you. No worries, no overthinking! The tea will help."

After taking her own seat, Corr closed her eyes and took some deep breaths. This was her way of meditating before a reading so she could get herself grounded. The earthy scent of the incense was helpful, but also did a good job of setting the tone. It was her hope that Eik would follow her lead and do some breathing exercises as well.

A few moments of silence passed before she spoke again. "Alright, first I need to know which spirits to call forth for guidance today. I can tap into the spiritual realm in general or we can hone in on your animal guardians," she explained while pointing to the two decks in front of them. "Sometimes it can help to understand who your animal spirits are that walk beside you, but if you might be wanting something more specific, the spiritual realm can sometimes shed a brighter light. Pick your poison, dear!" For a second she realized with his demeanor that he may take the saying literally. "I kid - no actual poison!" she quickly added.

The mare looked on eagerly as she waited for Eik's decision. Both decks were powerful and good choices, but he needed to choose which one called to him the most. As intuitive as Corr was, only he would know.

@Eik <3
credits

Inactive Character

Corrdelia brightens when he compliments the tea. He finds it puzzling but welcome, the expression that bursts across her face. Like springtime at hyperspeed– something, something warm like joy or pride, bursting from the earth, reaching for the sky, blooming in a sudden violence of color, and gone to seed all before it could be captured by the mind’s eye. If he had any artistic inclination, he would want to capture this strange, bustling woman and her cluttered, homey cabin at the edge of the swamp. Instead he commits it to a memory that he will wonder over on quiet winter days; what is the difference between the two of us? How does one brighten like that, at only the slightest ray of light?

Eik is almost envious. He had never been particularly expressive, or warm. He simply smiles, polite but reserved, at her comments (“Just Eik”, “Really soothes the soul”, “little guardian spirit”) and he picks at the fringed edges of what it was that brought him here. The Question without words. The Thing his… guardian spirit was nudging him towards… whatever that’s supposed to mean.

Suspend your disbelief.

The thought occurs to him with the force of a command. He blinks and steps forward to the table by the fireplace. His legs fold beneath his body with surprising delicacy. Corrdelia breathes deeply with her eyes closed. Eik intuitively follows suit with the breathing, but his eyes remain fixed on the two decks of cards and the lush mysteries they promise.

An animal guardian? Like a bonded? Eik tilts his head, curious.

I choose the animal spirits,” he tries so hard to take this seriously. (The voices in his head are, strangely, not mocking or laughing or violent. Believe, just for a little while. Just for now. Later you can change your mind, laugh about it. Their support makes him suspicious.) “What do I need to do?

E I K
grief can be a kind of music
that knows how to rise like the sea

@Corrdelia <3

Corrdelia

strangeness and
charm

Eik chooses the guardian spirit deck and Corr's eyes widen with excitement. This was a deck she didn't get to use often, but it was perhaps her favorite deck for the type of symbolism it provided. It seems fitting for this man named Eik in a way that she can't quite pinpoint yet. Perhaps it will all become clear with the cards.

His bewilderment makes her smile and she begins to shuffle the cards, setting aside her other deck so it was not in the way. "Focus on your thoughts and feelings. Channel it into the cards as I will do now so that the message can become clearer. Other than that, not much! The spirits and I will take it from here," she instructs with a twinkle in her eye. The incense smoke seems to change course on its own. It curls around the man in a curious fashion before settling back down on the table around the cards.

When Corrdelia is done shuffling, she sets the stack of cards down and closes her eyes again to summon an incantation. "Two feet, four feet, scales or hide, may our minds stay open and our wings span wide," she murmurs and opens her eyes again. She divides the stack into three sections and pulls a card from each so that there are three cards laid out in the middle.

"This is a simple three card spread laid out similarly to 'Past, Present, Future' readings. However with this deck, the symbolism tends to focus more on the Self so think of these cards more along the lines of 'Who I was, Who I am and Who I will be'," the witch explained before turning over the first card. It reveals the swimming Dolphin with swirls of color surrounding it like a ripple effect in water.

"Who you were reflects the Dolphin," she begins. "They are an oceanic species, though I'm not sure if you've seen any from the shores of Novus. They are tied to the water element, of course, being from the ocean, which represents our emotional world. It points to relationships, love, boundaries and creativity- our "flow", if you will. They say when the Water is crystal clear, we know it in our hearts. So in terms of the Dolphin here, they tend to be drawn to the healing arts. They are sensitive to the subtle and enjoy working on the level of spirit. Being a Dolphin type, it's easy for you to underestimate the impact you make in the world. Dolphins are a communal species as well, therefore being together with loved ones and family is extremely important. Seeing this card appear also tells me that a profound blessing is on the way." At the end, she raises a brow and looks to Eik, curious of what sort of blessing this may mean. Likely it would tie into the next card, so she didn't wait too much longer to flip the second card over.

Corr blinks in surprise at the appearance of an egg. It is not just an ordinary egg either, but one with strong symbolism to the Ether, or the Spirit element. As she suspected, it did indeed give more clarity as to what Eik's blessing may be. The card appears dark, as if it's almost entirely shrouded in shadow except for a white-purple ethereal glow around the egg. The egg itself appears to have scales all over it, similar to that of a dragon's.

"Interesting…" she murmurs, deep in thought for a moment as she muddles over all the symbolism present. "An egg is a wonderful symbol of new life and fertility, which I would presume is your profound blessing. Whether it's your own children on the way or a new life to come for yourself… or both, perhaps." A sly smile appears on her face as she glances at Eik again before looking back at the card. "Now the Black Egg is special in that it's a symbol of the Spirit element. This is the most abstract element as it includes creatures of the Ether and that which inhabit a dimension beyond. They represent significant challenges or awakenings of the inner self or soul. They are watchful and protective when we are at a crossroads in our lives. The Black Egg specifically represents truth. When this essence is in balance, we speak slowly and clearly. We are drawn to creative activities like writing, reading, teaching or singing. You might start to ask yourself 'What is true about the world?'. When you have not yet accessed the energy of the Black Egg, you speak from an unsure place. You might say things others want to hear, gossip or repeat stories to justify your not-so-great behavior. You might convince yourself that you have no inner truth at all. The energy of the Black Egg hovers around you and waits for you to reconnect. It's available at every moment and in every situation. It's the epitome of truth and the birthplace of our voice."

Corr pauses, allowing herself more clarity into the Spirit's message. She looks from card to card, then back at Eik. "A very abstract symbol indeed, but don't let its presence deter you. It shows you the blessing you have received or will receive, but reminds you not to lose your voice or your inner truth," she reassures him before moving to the final card.

When she flips it over, it reveals a dragonfly that appears to be perched on a blue upside down triangle. The way the blue is painted reminds her of a lake or pond where one might find the insects. Although they are a symbol of the Air element, they too have connections with Water.

"It appears who you will be, or your future potential, is symbolic of the Dragonfly. They are a creature of the sky and those of the Air element move quickly and decisively. They are known to see more than others which can lead to powerful and discerning qualities. They tend to move too quickly, which leaves them ungrounded. The Dragonfly in particular is a very ancient and ethereal creature that is a symbol of the mind. This is because it's always moving, shifting and changing. When I see this card, I ask those in front of me what the quality of your mind and perception are. Are you restless or still? Dream-like, crystal clear? A situation at hand may be different than it appears to you when you first look at it, but Dragonfly reminds you to calm your mind so the light and wisdom can shine through."

Corr takes in the three images in front of her - Dolphin, Black Egg and Dragonfly - and lets her mind meld them together. She closes her eyes and takes another deep breath before speaking again. "I see Dolphin telling you to enjoy the company of others and to not be afraid of this blessing. Whatever new life is in store for you, it will bring great joy and inner growth. You must not forget your inner truth or your voice as they are very important. You must also not let your mind get too lost in the shuffle of things. Remember to take a step back and breathe in. Look at how far you have come and all that the world has to offer. Meditate by the stillness of the water and let yourself be embraced by the gentle breeze. Water and Air are key elements for you and can work hand in hand."

At the end of her speech, she takes a much needed sip of her tea and waits for Eik's reaction. Like most clients, it's likely that he'll be overwhelmed by the reading and the message. She waits patiently and willing to answer any questions he might have. For now, she let the lavender soothe her throat and made a silent thanks to the Spirits for the messages they have shared to the pair today.

(A real life view of the cards for anyone curious)
Note: This oracle deck is by Kim Krans/The Wild Unknown and much of what is mentioned is referenced from this deck's guidebook, including Corr's incantation

@Eik WOW sorry this took forever and is literally a novel. Super psyched to see how Eik reacts to this reading <3
credits

Inactive Character

If Eik had thought about it before the start of the reading, he would have expected the first card to be a wolf. It represented his past neatly– fighting, hunting, living and dying as a pack. But he did not have expectations, so he is not surprised by the dolphin. It is a rather smug looking creature, he thinks, like it knows something no one else does. That’s not me. Corrdelia mentions healing, and a small frown furrows his brow. Eik was a soldier for as long as he could remember. Longer than that, in fact. But fighting to him was never about hurting, it was about protecting. Was that the same as healing? It seemed like a stretch, but maybe there were similarities… and certainly his tenure as emissary was focused on healing broken bonds between courts.

This, he thinks, is the problem with these cards. It was all confirmation bias, skewing aspects of himself and his past to match the card. Surely he could stretch for connections between himself and any animal.

Eik does not comment on what the profound blessing might be, although he feels his cheeks grow warm. His eyes are kept tactfully glued to the table in anticipation of the next card, knowing that his eyes might say things that he does not think need to be said. (not yet. it isn’t anyone’s business anyway.)

When Eik first sees the egg, it seems ominous. It is black, like something which the rot has claimed for itself. Something which did not hatch when it was supposed to, and the cradle became the grave. Thus, Corrdelia’s words are reassuring– the black color seems not to matter, not in the way he thought. At the mention of fertility and children he glances at her for just a moment– and that moment is all she should need to confirm her suspicions. His gaze is bashful but proud, hesitant but excited. Happy, but in a timid way.

(It seemed to him joy was a dangerous thing for any man to have, especially a man such as himself who was not pious to the gods. They tended to take, and delight in the taking, from their mortal underlings.)

But a child. Children. He could not contain his silent pleasure at that thought, at that future so close now it was almost (almost) tangible. Even if it was hubris, it could not be contained. It was that silent pleasure which was uprooting him from the desert. It was that silent pleasure which he would cross continents and oceans for.

But– how did the cards know?

He’ll have to ponder it later. Now, the black-scaled present yields to the rainbow-winged future. The dragonfly. Something beautiful and airborne, untethered and magical. Its wings capture and transform the light– would he ever be such a creature?

Of her words then, “calm your mind” is the phrase that draws his attention to a sharp point. He simply nods, so much like a solider given his marching orders.

When she weaves the three cards together, they… it makes sense, he thinks. He still doesn’t know if he believes in them. (A mind can only stay open for so long, especially a delicate one such as his own.) But he can see how others would. And he can see there is wisdom in the guidance, wisdom that stood on its own merit, with or without the cards.

Thank you,” he says after a long quiet. He’s thinking of water and air, water and air. And the upcoming transition from dust to dirt, sand to grass. “I’m about to move.” It feels like a relief to finally say it out loud. “From Solterra to Denocte. To raise my children.” He would be flushed ruddy if his cheeks could hold anything but grey. Instead it’s his words that are colored with emotion. “I think I came here because I wanted to know if I was doing the right thing."

Of course it was the right thing to do, it was the only thing to do. But it was still a betrayal of his country and his people. They were crushed beneath the weight of a dictator and he was leaving, leaving the war and the endless waves of sand, to greener pastures and sad-eyed love and wild daughters. The cards gave him some clarity, but also some questions. It would take much reflection before he decided what exactly he thought of them. His instinct is to be skeptical their power, but at the same time... it was he who sought out Corrdelia, he who chose the deck he did.

There was, perhaps, never anyone as skeptical yet open-minded as Eik.

"May I stay for a little while? I'd like to learn more about what you do here." His gaze sweeps around the small hut. It is full of things he's never seen before, or things he's seen but never understood.  And Corrdelia's presence is strangely comforting.

But most of all, to leave is to start the next chapter of his life. He wants to prolong it just a little longer, all the guilt and joy that waits for him to open the door and step into the future.

E I K
grief can be a kind of music
that knows how to rise like the sea

@Corrdelia thank you so so much for this thread, I loved it <3

Corrdelia

strangeness and
charm

There are a few moments where she sees a flicker of a reaction from Eik, especially at mention of a blessing, fertility and children. She typically gets this reaction from most clients who are surprised at her accuracy and it makes her smirk.

All in all, it seems the man feels mostly positive about the reading as he thanks Corr after a long pause. Although, he does not mention children at first like she was expecting. Instead, he explains that he's moving, but then he says it's for his family and children. She feels the anxiety becoming a tangled ball again like it did when he first arrived and so Corr takes another sip of her tea. Sometimes others emotions came off too strong for her and they hit her like a wave. Eik's are certainly doing so, but it's understandable. She tries to keep herself grounded in an attempt to help them both out.

"I don't think we ever know if we're making the right choice," she explains, her voice somehow sounding older than she is. "But we can't let that stop us from living. If I've learned anything, it's to listen to my gut - your intuition. It sounds like you have done so, Eik, and I am sure your family will appreciate you for it." She gives him a warm smile and hopes that he won't worry too much about his move. Her thoughts drift to Briar for a moment and all the family in Astreas she had left behind. Her choice had been different, she had to make the journey, but it had certainly been a tough decision to make.

The man poses a question that surprises Corr, but then makes her give back the biggest toothy grin. He asks to stay and learn about her work and she has never felt so honored before. Aside from readings, she loves teaching others about the ways of a shaman, so she does not hesitate in her response.

"Why of course you can, dear! I would love to show you," she exclaims, standing back up to head towards the kitchen. "I'll start us up another pot of tea!"

She takes their empty cups and begins to set the herbs together in the pot. As she does so, she starts to explain the traditions of Astreas and it feels like time has stopped just for them. Perhaps this will be the start of a good friendship and she feels thankful that Eik found her today.

@Eik thank you! <3 They are so precious together and I hope we can thread them again soon :D
credits