Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - forgive a lovely woman's lies

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline REDANDBLACK [PM] Posts: 302 — Threads: 37
Signos: 135
Inactive Character

b e x l e y
zeus acts as zeus ordains. do you think the gods ignore a man who steps on holy things?

S
omething was going to happen tonight. Or that’s what she’d heard. In the markets there had been a ripple of uneasy interest—the slow shifting of eyes back and forth, whispers swelling on top of the whining violins—she’d noticed it as soon as she stepped into the streets and felt them closing in around her like a vice. It was packed even more than usual; Bexley could hardly wiggle through the crush of bodies as they floated heat into the atmosphere. They had all been tilted toward a figure standing on top of a box in the middle of the square. His hair floated wild around his face, a scarab tattoo shone from his ribs, and he had been shouting into the still air with a ferocity that turned his eyes white and sent foam running out of his mouth. She had only been able to catch the tail end of his invitation before someone grabbed at his leg with their gnashing teeth and pulled him down, down, down until he disappeared into the mass of bodies.

She had stared at him, or the space that he had occupied only a moment ago, with a horror that chilled her to the roots of her teeth. Her whole body made an attempt to seize. The rest of the crowd didn’t notice, or pretended not to, and that was almost worse: she could see on their faces that they were used to this kind of violence, and by now she should have been used to it, too, but something in her was still too soft. Still hurt in ways it shouldn’t have been able to. Coming to Denocte was supposed to be something that healed her, that removed her from Solterra’s teeth and claws and vibrant violence, and yet the trouble had followed her all the way here, nipping at her heels like a hungry dog. Maybe it wasn’t Solterra. Maybe it wasn’t even Raum. Maybe Bexley was just a magnet for disaster. (It would explain quite a bit, actually.)

The incident had happened hours ago, and she’s still thinking about it, curled up in her tower, soaked in lamplight, as rain pours against the windows. The room is woefully quiet, and cold leaches in from the spaces between the bricks. Her heartbeat is too slow and too sticky for her to feel completely awake. Get up. Wind howls outside. Get up and go look. She keeps seeing it—the way he fell backward into the stone, how he had yelled for help and been met with only silence. She’s not even sure what he had been talking about, only that it had been something important, something that brought a big crowd together just to divide it again. Something worth checking out.

And he’d had the same tattoo as August, the same tattoo as Minya. That had to point to something.

Bexley grits her teeth and hauls herself to her feet. Her joints protest stiffly against the cold and the time she’s spent pressed up against the floor, but she moves through the inflexible pain to the top of the stairs and slowly, as if afraid of the dark, starts to descend. The whole tower seems to groan as she moves through it; the darkness that streams in from the windows is thick and suffocating. The staircase is utterly silent except for the frost of her breath and the click of her hooves on the stone. Even the foyer is empty, as mute as a still life painting, and she is almost glad to emerge into the muggy blackness of the rain-glazed streets, if only for the shadow that she sees moving toward her from an alleyway to the left.

[b“Hi,” [/b] Bexley calls to it, and tries not to be self-conscious of the way her voice rasps from disuse deep in her throat.

@Antiope | "speaks" | notes: <3 
rallidae

Played by Offline Kat [PM] Posts: 146 — Threads: 25
Signos: 77
Vagabond Battlemage
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 498 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 28 — Atk: 32 — Exp: 53  |    Active Magic: Energy Transference  |    Bonded: Fylax (Gryphon)

my roots run deep into the hollow
She isn’t there, when the man is dragged into the crowd and mauled as though he is an animal. As if are all just animals⁠—feral, untamed, bloodthirsty. But one mouth says something, and then another, until Antiope finds the place where he had gone down into the crowd and she discovers something.

It does not look like the place of a battle.

Wars, they destroy the ground they claim. They leave bodies, drench the earth and the streets in blood. Even when the rains wash it all away and fallen soldiers are recovered, the place is forever haunted by the memories of dying breaths.

She finds this street unhaunted, and wonders why.

Nobody can answer her question, and Antiope leaves unsatisfied and bothered by it. She doesn’t know who the man was, but shouldn’t somebody remember him? Who will remember him? If he has been stricken unfairly from this world and has left behind someone terribly important… her gut twists, the lioness in her bones rumbles and it sounds like a name she is unwilling to admit.

The day grows long, and dark and deep and she does not sleep.

Oh, Antiope rarely sleeps. There is too much inside her, pushing, pressing⁠—against her ribs, against her skin⁠—for her to get any rest. Tonight, however, she does not sleep because there is a whisper in her thoughts and a vision behind her lids of eyes she does not want to remember and lips she cannot forget.

When the rain begins it is not a lullaby but a crying, keening, echoing crying. She cannot ignore it. She cannot fight the night, cannot toss and turn it away, try as she might. Antiope rises from her bed and ties up her hair and takes Theofos out into the muffled quiet of the night court streets. With a whisper her axe comes to life, lighting her path, and the rain hisses as it drops against the burning metal.

At the end of the alley, with Theofos’ light arching out wide, and throwing wild shadows, the tigress woman begins to think she’s actually dreaming. Part golden and dark as night, she cannot believe what her eyes are seeing, until the voice calls out a simple, “Hi.” Even in a rasp, she knows who it is not.

As she grows closer, Antiope dims Theofos and drops her axe slightly so that the light will not be directly in the other equine’s eyes but below them. Now, she sees the other woman is only the sun, brilliant and gold, with eyes like the sky. “Hello,” she responds, stopping almost too-close to the stranger.

The shadows wrap deeply around them as the dim light of her axe creates a soft cocoon. They are but puppets upon the walls, and Antiope’s jewel-blue eyes are bright, bright in the night. “A wonderful night for a stroll, then?” she says, and if there is a quirk to her lips and a spark in her eyes, it might not just be a trick of the light.

"Speaking."
credits

@Bexley

[Image: 13716916_Rc8f5hGvZkB3cYP.png]
a war is calling
the tides are turned

Inactive Character

b e x l e y
zeus acts as zeus ordains. do you think the gods ignore a man who steps on holy things?

T
he rain comes down in sheets and sheets, and despite herself Bexley does not hide from it. The night is warm and summer-thick; she turns her head up to the sky, breathes deep-deep-deep and exhales. Like a breeze coming from off the ocean. The world is pretty and silent but for the beat of Bexley’s heart inside her chest and the soft chrrr of the rain as it floods the cobblestone. It should be peaceful—would be—if she could just stop thinking about that man’s face as he went down into the waves, and what the omens of his mouth might spell.

Thankfully, she is distracted by the appearance of the shadow, girl-shaped. Her eyes turn down the street. It’s hard to make out any details, but hanging in the air above her is a slice of golden light hanging in the shape of the axe, shedding stars on the wet ground, shrouding her in a deep-yellow gleam. (I could make that, Bexley thinks, though not unimpressed.)

The light dims to a soft glow. Now the alleys around them are cast in shadows soft as a storybook, and the woman that comes into focus looks as though she herself might come from a fairytale. Eyes bright as bluebells, striped like a tiger, and the axe that she holds must be something godly for the way it glows and winks like a wild thing. Bright-red paint stripes her hooves and dots the skin under her eyes. In the soft, warm rain, the colors of her face melt into one another like watercolors.

She is overwhelmingly pretty, and powerful even moreso; Bexley can smell it on her, a perfume as obvious as a brand. The thing that tells you be careful. She wears it too. (And people don’t often listen.)

“I thought so,” Bexley answers wryly, “But…” Her gaze flits upward, to the sweeping curtains of rain, and a half-smile flashes her teeth white against the soft glow of the axe. “I may have been mistaken. Though you don’t seem to mind it either—“ Her smile deepens, and subtly enough, one eyebrow rises. It could easily be lost in the white fog of her hair or the mist of the rain, but Bexley guesses (knows) it is not completely secret.

rallidae

Vagabond Battlemage
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 498 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 28 — Atk: 32 — Exp: 53  |    Active Magic: Energy Transference  |    Bonded: Fylax (Gryphon)

Even in the rain and the night, the other woman is like sunlight—like rich desert sand. In the light of her axe, even dimmed, she is gilded and brilliant. Like shadows and sun they are opposites, standing across from each other with the mists and the plinking of rain off windows and cobblestone.

Antiope blinks as the droplets fall upon her lashes and the woman looks to the sky with a wry smile. “I won’t melt,” she lifts her axe a little higher, brightening the shadows around her eyes, “and when I am tired of being wet I can warm myself by a nice fire, I think.” A nice fire, roaring and crackling, with the rain pounding against the windows, would be a great end to this night indeed.

They stand there, strangers, but the closeness of their shadows thrown upon the walls almost tells a different story. Antiope’s sapphire blue eyes settle, a moment too long, on the sun and sand woman’s of brightest, softest blue. She smiles and shakes her head just the smallest bit. What stands of her hair have fallen from her bun are long since glued to her skin by the rain.

Something about the rain, and the night, and the dim glow of her axe’s light, makes her feel a little more emboldened than Antiope thinks she normally would be. So when she speaks, “I don’t sleep much, and when I don’t sleep I desire to move,” what comes out isn’t exactly what she expects. “And very little can keep me from what I desire.”

Least of all rain. Least of all, least of all.

“What brings you out into these deluged streets?” The striped woman’s head tilts, ever so slightly. There are none of Denocte’s usual fires to guide their way, none of the usual late-night crowds to get lost in, but Antiope finds she likes it better this way.

"Speaking."
credits

@Bexley

a war is calling
the tides are turned

Inactive Character

b e x l e y

B
exley wonders what they would look like painted.

It would make for a good piece in oils. The silvery sheen of the lazy rain, how the hovering axe makes a foggy kind of light against the cold, and how their silhouettes stand strong against the backdrop of the sleepy court. Smudgy and saturated with all the colors of the earth and sky. The glow between them gilds the lines of this girl’s pretty face, and as Bexley watches her, a kind of nervous warmth builds against her chest and seeps into her stomach. Her pulse picks up a little.

What a long time it has been.

I won’t melt, the stranger says, and she smiles her own sheepish kind of smile. The softness of it is unfamiliar. It fits like a piece of clothing she hasn’t worn in a long, long time. But for some reason she is not as embarrassed as she should be. There is no hiding here, in the empty, open streets, and no reason to hide, anyway: Bexley thinks that, of all people, she wants this one to really see her. Look. Look.

She watches the strands of hair fall from Antiope’s buns and oh, how can such a simple gesture be so utterly perfect, so disarmingly pretty? Just her movement throws Bexley off. Just the way she smiles, beautiful and dangerous. Just the way she blinks, how her lashes beat so dark and thick and sure against her cheeks. Very little can keep me from what I desire, she says, and—

Solterra’s golden girl has never been the kind to ignore her own wants, nor the kind to plan ahead, and so she can hardly be disappointed that she finds herself moving yet another step forward without even really thinking about it.

Can hardly be disappointed that now there is even less separating them, and from here she can see each individual stripe across the stranger’s fine-boned face. Can hardly be disappointed in the way her whole body buzzes with warmth like a warning, like a wanting.  “There was a commotion this morning. I thought—I heard something was happening to night. And I’m not quite the type to leave my desires untouched, either.”

Her breath holds in her chest unwittingly; the gleam of her eyes and the sweet darkness of her voice could be a predator’s.

rallidae

Vagabond Battlemage

The golden woman steps closer and Antiope does not move away, even when there is but a whisper of breath between them, even when she draws the axe further away because she knows how deeply it can burn. There is something wanton, something carnal, in the way the lioness prowls through her veins.

It takes her awhile, but Antiope realizes the lioness is not looking for a meal, not hungry for the things she is usually hungry for.

When she looks into the eyes of the other mare, it is easy to see why. Her skin is ichor gold, like the color of Antiope’s eyes when she uses her magic. Her hair, even dampened by the rain, is voluminous and ivory white, almost silver in the night, and limned with gold from the light of her axe.

And something, something about this stranger, makes her think of gods and jungles and a time before summer green eyes. In another life she can imagine pushing the hair away from this girl’s face, to reveal the simple, ageless beauty of it. Like a statue, carefully carved with the finest of tools.

There is no before summer green eyes anymore, but for everything that she has done: god-killed and mothered and loved, and everything that she cannot claim to be: gentle and whole and harmless, she is trying so hard to forget them all. Is that not why she is here, to be something more, something else than the other thing that she is?

“And what,” she breathes in the musty smell of the rain washed court, dampened spices and a lingering something she can only name sun soaked, “are your desires?” Her sapphire eyes, darkened by the storm and the late hour, goldened by the light of her axe, are still keen and bright. They say: tell me something in your heart, tell me what feeds you.

"Speaking."
credits

@Bexley c;

a war is calling
the tides are turned

Inactive Character

b e x l e y

S
ome part of her is strained. By the wanting, by the waiting, by the way Antiope’s blue eyes burn into hers, stronger than iron, smoother than stone. Bexley’s pulse is fluttering in her throat; her body feels not tense but live-wire, coiled to pounce, ready and ready and ready for a thing she cannot know will happen.

The rain is still coming down around them in a fine mist. Patches of it are bluish silver, while others glow gold from the light of the axe. She is half-dizzy with the way everything looks, the way it feels—beautiful and blurry as a fairytale, like her memories of home. Glitter-gauze on the wet streets. The cold, frail threat of a thunderstorm. And oh,  the feeling of magic—a strange, pulsating heart in the middle of the city, just like the gold that runs through her blood.

There are no gods where Bexley is from. She is still not sure she believes in them, scientifically speaking: her meeting with Solis proved little of his omnipotence and much more of his capacity to be a piece of shit. But if the stories are to be believed—if there is a creature, mortal or otherwise, with the kind of power people want to believe in—Antiope would be close to it.

Bexley lets out a soft, uncertain breath, one which fogs in the air as if the rain has turned to glass around them. She glances briefly down; a puddle has begun to form under her feet, shimmering and rippling, and the light of Antiope’s axe rolls like golden ribbons over the surface of the water.

And what are your desires?

An exhale, a tiny smile; she is pleased, though unsurprised, and a brow arches faintly as she meets Antiope’s eyes with a blink of dark lashes and a minute tilt of her head to one side. Water sloughs from her curls, off her shoulders. “Oh,” Bexley says with a shrug—maybe exaggerating the thoughtfulness, the airiness. Maybe not. “I don’t know. Everything?”

A real smile, then, a quick flash of bright teeth, surely sharper than necessary. “And what do you desire, besides to move?” Bexley slashes her tail behind her. She is a lightning strike in the dark, a curve of shining, stuttering gold. And her eyes—they  burn against the dark.

rallidae

Vagabond Battlemage

The rain and the dark of the night makes Antiope bold in an unusual way; makes her feel like she is back in the jungle of her previous home, when she was a goddess to the equines who called it home.

She looks at this woman of shining gold skin and piercing blue eyes and remembers how it felt the first time she took a breath when the gods had brought her to life. They had filled her with so many things: hunger, power, magic. But Antiope thinks of life, bright and green, and the way they had made her something mysterious and enchanting, smokey and purple.

The other mare tips her head to the side, with lashes that sparkle with the misting rain upon them that flutter against her cheeks and something inside Antiope tightens. “And what do you desire, besides to move?”

The striped mare steps closer, dousing the light of her axe until they are shrouded in shadows and the dim refracted light that bounces from the wet surfaces of the court. Antiope steps closer, like a lioness approaching her meal, until their shoulders are touching. She is still warm, even wet. A shiver passes along her spine.

She drops her muzzle until it is nearly buried in the ivory hair by the golden woman’s ear. Her breath is soft when she speaks, “Fulfillment.” It is dark, and deep. If there is a predator stalking its way through her bones it is not hard to tell in her tone.

There are so many things she is searching for, but fulfillment speaks to much of it. And now… now, she slides her nose the length of the woman’s neck and breathes in the scent of rain soaked sand. “Find it with me,” Antiope says, though she’s not really asking.

"Speaking."
| @Bexley this happened

a war is calling
the tides are turned

Inactive Character

b e x l e y

B
exley has not felt this way—whatever “this way” is—in a long, long time.

It is a dark, growling heat in the pit of her stomach; a rush of electricity that starts in the corners of her mouth and rides up her spine; it is the way her heart beats faster and faster until it feels as though it has grown wings; around them the night has become impenetrable, and with the light of Antiope’s axe gone there is nothing to reflect over the wet cobblestones.

Solterra’s ex-regent licks her lips, casts her eyes up at Antiope. Something in the blue gaze is fervent. Rain frosts her thick, dark lashes. It casts the rest of the world into shining, glittering, blurry hexagons, a strange warping of the world. It becomes something like the paintings they keep hung in the citadels, or like statues in the churches—a kind of art she feels unworthy of, but cannot escape.

Antiope steps closer.

Bexley does too.

She is not afraid of anything. Especially not this. Not the tight, dark hungriness in the way Antiope looks at her, not the way her own body tenses in response, not how the space between them closes and heats up at the same time until it’s burning, like salt in a wound, a halo around Bexley’s heart.

Then—

There are lips against the shell of Bexley’s ear, and breath stirring the fine white curls laid against her neck. Warm. Electric. A searing, spine-tingling kind of pleasure. Her pulse, now, is beating faster than ever. It is making her a little faint: the blood is rushing to her head, and it rushes even faster as Antiope’s touch travels the length of her neck, down to her spine.

The world is strange, and dark, and cold with rain, and Bexley is not scared. Only thrilled. In a criminal way. To an outlandish degree.

Her eyes grow dark and darker and darker. But Antiope cannot see it, because Bexley has reached out now to run her own lips from the warrior’s neck to the base of her cheek, the sheerest part of her throat, where the pulse is the strongest. When she breathes in, Antiope smells like petrichor, of course, and the scent of Denocte, and something else—something warmer than a mortal has any right to be.

Bexley smiles, and for just a moment her teeth slide against Antiope’s neck.

”If you insist,” she says. Her voice is somehow different, has become newly sweet and rough, and if there is a little tremor in it, or a little uncertainty in the blue of her eyes, it is hard to tell.

So she steps back, into the dark.

rallidae

Vagabond Battlemage

The two women could be all that is left in the world and Antiope would not mind it. This carnal, wanton wave rising inside her is not something she has felt in too long. She delights in the way their skin feels pressed against each other—wet, and warm, and full of this searing electricity.

There is nothing else in the world but this, but the rain on the cobblestone under their hooves and the way she can feel Bexley’s heart where their chests are pressed so intimately together. Hers is a full and content purr, a hum of ecstasy. There is no denying the lioness inside her bones.

And when Bexley runs her lips along every stripe on Antiope’s neck her skin burns and burns with it. The feel of the other woman’s teeth against her throat is something wicked, and she opens herself to it; pressing closer to her as if in a dance. There is no space left between them for anything else. No room left between them for the memories of green eyes.

Bexley speaks, and her voice ignites every nerve in Antiope to fire. Her sapphire eyes are dark with something other, something hungry, and there are unspoken words on her tongue, as she presses further into the shadows with a beckoning glance. I am Everything, they promise, all those untold things.

"Speaking."
| @Bexley fin c;

a war is calling
the tides are turned