Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - and build me stately castles by candlelight [auditions]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline RB [PM] Posts: 277 — Threads: 28
Signos: 180
Inactive Character

by sword
by salt

The light in the topmost window of the citadel blazes on, dies out, rages to life again. It is a signal, unmistakable.

And more importantly than that, the flicker is unmissable against the dimming, broody violet of the darkening sky. All of the city feels its rapid change. Day-night-day. Warm lantern light pours down the towers and into the streets like so much liquid gold; now, even in the oncoming night, Terrastella looks like treasure.

For once Marisol’s heart is full. She stands, calm and still, in the center of the city’s biggest square and watches with eyes bright and moonstone. Her dark feathers and skin are unpainted, and for once she’s left her spear behind. Tonight is not a night for war. (Though is it ever?) Tonight the world is calm and warm, and Marisol is ready—excited—to bring her people back together as day turns to night and summer to fall.

The Sovereign clears her throat and raises her head, and her voice is clear in the still air. Like singing. Like promising. “My people,” she calls, “It is time, under Her eye, that we find a new Regime. Those of you brave, those of you wise, those of you who love your country, come forward in Her name.”

HOW TO AUDITION:
Post an IC reply and include an OOC section that includes the answers to these questions.

1. Which position (Regent, Emissary, Warden) is your character interested in and why?
2. What do you think is Dusk's biggest strength and biggest weakness (IC)? What plots do you think might come from that?
3. Which part of Terrastella's lore would you be the most interested in expanding or basing events on?
4. What does your character believe should be the primary focus of the new regime and why? How would that be implemented?
5. What's your available activity level?

“Speaking.”
credits

[Image: ddg6quy-9d15dab5-339c-4b09-8b57-20a99fda...jvUop12efQ]

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 137 — Threads: 30
Signos: 1,020
Night Court Sovereign
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 496 Summer]  |  16.1 hh  |  Hth: 32 — Atk: 28 — Exp: 85  |    Active Magic: Pyromancy  |    Bonded: Solaris (Phoenix)

This is how we'll stand when
When they burn our houses down
This is what we'll be, oh, glory

The beacon flared in summons, and Israfel answered.

She arrived first, the vermilion fire of her eyes scanning the others as they slipped into the center of the square, a gathering of bodies of all shapes, colors, and designs. Denocte believed themselves to be the melting pot of Novus, but they had never seen the rag-tag, motley bunch that represented Terrastella. Her expression remained that steady fierce neutrality, that perfected mask of a slightly downturned frown and narrowed, burning eyes, ears forward and alert and shoulders rolled back, standing tall and proud as she arrived at the meeting.

Solaris’ burning body spiraled down from the evening sky with a piercing shriek, a falling star of flames cutting through the approaching darkness. The Phoenix’s flames doused as soon as she reached her chosen child, her massive wings spread out to slow her descent before latching onto Israfel’s croup with a gentleness that belied her sharp, piercing talons.

’Show them what you’re made of.’ She hardly resisted the urge to smirk.

The Warden moved with a blatant confidence, a determined sashay with Solaris’ bulk upon her croup as she crossed the stone square to come to stand beside Marisol, effectively putting herself at the Sovereign’s right hand side. Shoving herself in a position that the Sun-Daughter quite honestly already considered hers. Vermilion eyes searched the faces laid out before them, brows raised and expression nonplussed, before she turned her head and focused that same burning, intense, prying stare upon Marisol.

“... We’ve discussed this briefly, and I’ve come to a decision. Before, you came to me and asked me to help you build your council. You asked who I thought might be worthy of the titles of Regent and Emissary.” A slender, pale shoulder rolled back in an aloof shrug, the beginnings of a smirk crossing the woman’s rose-kissed lips. “You know I’m not one for pretty, flowery words of bullshit but I guess for you, I’ll make an exception.”

“... I’ve seen Kings and Queens come and go,” Israfel began, far more eloquently than she had wanted or planned to start this little spiel, turning her piercing stare out onto the gathered faces, “Out of everyone gathered here and everyone who had once stood upon these stones, I’ve outstood them all. Despite everything I’ve remained loyal to Terrastella from the start. I’ve served, fought, and bled for this soil. I’ve seen lands crumble and burn, worlds destroyed, I’ve touched and tasted Death and returned to serve Terrastella, to serve you. In the wake of rains and floods and creepy magical islands I’ve remained, keeping our soil safe and our home fires burning.”

But never did she do it for Vespera. She would never be the patron Goddess to Israfel, the one born of fire and embers and spite, the daughter of a God long dead with just as much virulent, dangerous candor as his beloved daughter. No. Israfel would carry on her father’s legacy, just as Charlie would, and Charlie’s future children. Vespera had no place in that, but luckily, Marisol already knew her opinion on their so-called ‘goddess’.

Once more Israfel’s gaze turned and focused upon Marisol, her stare piercing, probing, and searching. “I’ll be the best damn Regent you could have hoped for, Marisol. I’ll be your right-hand woman and serve Terrastella first, as so should you.” The tension within the Sun-Daughter’s body lessened, her posture loosening as she suddenly grinned. “I know I wanted to throttle that pretty little face of yours when we first met, but I guess you aren’t that bad.”

"Speaking."
credits

1. Which position (Regent, Emissary, Warden) is your character interested in and why?
Israfel is petitioning for the position of Regent. In her eyes she is one of the longest remaining members of Terrastella, intimately familiar with the land as a whole and experienced in keeping it safe-guarded and protected. Just as well, she’s well versed in seeing it grow stagnant, its positions and ranks empty and barren. While content with her position as Warden for the last number of years, a fire has grown within her to step up, to protect Terrastella in a way that she couldn’t as a Warden, to fight for this land that she has served for so long and the land that she started her family in. Perhaps it was the disappearance of Asterion and Florentine, two people who she truly considered friends and her inability to help them that ignited this flame. Maybe she’s just being an arrogant asshole, but she’ll never tell.

2. What do you think is Dusk's biggest strength and biggest weakness (IC)? What plots do you think might come from that?
Strengths - Definitely both the Hospital and the Halcyon. While a somewhat ‘small’ group, the Halcyon has really seemed to have blown up in popularity over the last year? Few seasons? Something like that. It makes up more than the general populace of soldiers within Terrastella as a whole, and I still find it terribly ironic and somewhat funny that the Court dedicated to healing and helping also has one of the strongest military factions on-site. I think that balance between fighting and healing, the Halcyon and the Hospital, is a great asset when used together, which also works into one of my opinions on weaknesses. Just as well, I think another strength of Dusk is the overwhelming sense of acceptance that has been adopted by everyone? With all types running around (flying, land-bound, Kelpies galore), I think we have a lot of strengths at our disposal that we haven’t looked into before!

Weaknesses - The lack of use of the Hospital. I know it’s been casually mentioned in a few threads, but I’d really like to push more for the importance of the hospital. It could be more than just a place for people (i.e. Theodosia) go to be patched up every now and again. Another weakness with Dusk I think is just the lack of keeping a steady Regime/Council. It’s been a struggle since Rannveig to keep ranks filled. I’d love to push and keep up Griffin’s idea of an ‘activity bonus’ to keep ranks filled and members busy!

3. Which part of Terrastella's lore would you be the most interested in expanding or basing events on?
Originally I wanted to say the Halcyon, but like I said in my previous answer the Halcyon has really blown up over the last couple of months! I would really love to see more push/hype/information on the Ilati, honestly. It was a big thing when the lore first dropped, but since then we’ve seen less and less Ilati. I think there’s one or two members now? I’d love to toss up some lore and adoptables about the Ilati and create more shamanistic, witchy individuals lurking within Terrastella’s darker corners.

4. What does your character believe should be the primary focus of the new regime and why? How would that be implemented?
Israfel believes in progress and change. When she was younger, she was haughty, arrogant, selfish, and she believed everyone to be a lower standing than herself due to her godly bloodline and gifted heritage. Since being burned alive in a sacrifice by her own father, who she idolized and worshipped, and then being brought back to life her outlook has completely changed. The world needs to adapt in order to survive. If something doesn’t work, it needs to be changed. As such the stagnant, empty Regime needs to be mended and while Terrastella is working, it also needs change in order to thrive.

Israfel would implement seasonal ‘mini-events’ as a way of boosting morale and maintaining activity. Working with the Regime (Sovereign and Emissary), she would come up with ways to ensure that everyone is completing goals within their selected fields. (Example: Warriors would train/meet spar requirements in return for Signos, Artisans would craft/trade things to meet their requirement in turn for Signos, etc.)

Now that I’m back in action, I’d like to say very! I can’t promise that I’ll be around every single day and make a post every day, as life likes to swallow EVERYONE now and again, but I’m confident in saying that life has calmed down enough now and Israfel and I are ready to step up and rock Terrastella’s world.

Please Tag Israfel in all Replies!

Played by Offline Chaosy [PM] Posts: 77 — Threads: 21
Signos: 35
Dusk Court Sovereign
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  11 [Year 500 Spring]  |  17 hh  |  Hth: 12 — Atk: 8 — Exp: 24  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: Neema (Maned Wolf)

Pure of Heart
“My people. It is time, under Her eye, that we find a new Regime. Those of you brave, those of you wise, those of you who love your country, come forward in Her name.” The call echoed through her very bones, summoning Uzuri as she entered the courts with Neema at her side. Her richly colored and marked coat gleamed in health and good care, not that she was prone to vanity in the slightest. The young maned wolf beside her was also gaining a bit of mass, filling out and looking like the picture of a healthy creature. There was an almost motherly pride in Uzi's eyes as she glanced at her companion.

"What am I thinking? I am not the one that should be stepping up for anything!" Uzuri exclaimed, sliding to a stop and staring down at Neema. "Vespera would never choose me. I am just a simple warrior!" Fear was making her balk. Fear of being rejected, of being told that she didnt belong in the courts. She had been born an outsider, only being a member of the courts for a short time.

"Uzuri! Calm down! You are a strong and loyal soldier, dedicated to the goddess. You have every right to put yourself forward as a member of the regime and prove to yourself and everyone else that you are capable and worth the responsibilities. Now put your hooves to the stone and get your rear in there!" The orange hued canid ordered, vivid green eyes ablaze with pride and emotions. Uzi took a deep breath and swallowed down her fear. It wouldnt do to broadcast that terror when trying to be responsible and a part of the regime.

Approaching the sovereign, Uzuri dipped into a respectful bow. "Vespera bless you, Marisol." She murmured in greeting, her voice just loud enough to hear while carefully clear of her panic. "I am Uzuri, one of the soldiers for the court. I would like to extend my desire to help the realm to grow and flourish. Dusk took me in when my mother died, keeping me alive and giving me a purpose. It is my turn to help the realm and do my best." She continued, standing and gazing at the leader with warm brown eyes.

"I may not have been born here, but I have dedicated my life to Dusk and our goddess. Even if you do not feel that I am fit for higher responsibility, I would like the chance to try to help the realm however you see fit." Uzi finished with a hopeful smile up at Marisol. Anxiety was making it hard to think more eloquently, so she closed her mouth and dipped her head in respect.

"Uzuri"
"Neema"
@Marisol
Notes:

- Warden - Uzi wants to make a difference in her court and she feels that being warden is better than being a common soldier. She welcomes the responsibility and the sense of belonging that she feels will come with the role

- Being still fairly new, I think that the Halycon is one of Dusk's biggest strengths. They seem to be a strong warrior group that is ready and able to defend the court.
- I think the biggest weakness is the lack of activity regarding the hospital. There are only 6 threads in the hospital, with only one this year. I have had more mention in character about the library and night markets with no mention at all that Novus even has a hospital.
- I think that plots regarding the training of warriors and increasing the activity, as well as perhaps events where horses help gather things for the hospital, would be one way to encourage more activity on both sides.

- I would love to see more of the Ilati Shamans and Sceal Kelpies. Both seem fascinating and could be such interesting additions to the character landscape of Terrastella. I would also love to see someone create something similar to the Scarab... A place where certain types of business can be found for a price and that could expand the likelihood of outside courts coming to take part in the goings on in the court.

4. What does your character believe should be the primary focus of the new regime and why? How would that be implemented?
- Uzi wants to see the ranks utilized more. She wants to see each ranking doing what is needed to grow each individual. Regular training sessions for the soldiers, perhaps some sort of class for the scholars... conferences for the medics to share knowledge and grow... Her opinion is that the members of Terastella chose their rankings and should be actively using them rather than just bopping around without progressing in their knowledge and strengths. (Nothing toward anyone, just opinionated Uzi lol)

- For a while... it was pretty low. I went through a rough patch with rl chaos and stepped away from the computer a bit. But I am now fully back and full of muse. I am currently working on catching up all my characters and staying on top of responses <3 I would say my activity going forward should be pretty high.

Played by Offline Katherine [PM] Posts: 60 — Threads: 8
Signos: 0
Inactive Character

All the stars we steal from the night sky
Will never be enough, never be enough
Samaira has too many ghosts on her heart, living or not. Too many souls out there, lingering in her own, haunting the empty reaches inside of her. She walks, wherever she goes, with an unusually quiet bonded gliding silently at her side. Days pass—how many days?—and she’s kept to herself in the hospital, tending to her patients, keeping her head down.

Should she have told him about the desires of her heart?

Would it have made a difference?

She enters the courtyard filled with gathered equines and her heart stops when she sees Marisol standing there at the front. The same, it is all the same, and she is not ready for the way it threatens to pull her down and down and down.

Alaunus lands beside her and gently leans his weight against her side. Samaira cannot pull her silver eyes away from a different meeting on a different day and a small part of wonders why she has returned to the court at all. And another part of her knows why, and it is because when she walks the streets small things remind her of him; she is torturing herself.

The earthen pegasus waits until the others have finished speaking and then surprises herself by also raising her voice to be heard. “I am not here to ask to be a part of your regime, Marisol,” she says, and though her voice is respectful it is wavering, ever so slightly, beneath the smoky tones of her accent.

“I am content with my work in the hospital, but I have been under the tutelage of its best doctors, and taking patients on my own for some time now,” Samaira doesn’t even know what she’s asking for until the words are out of her mouth, slipping past her lips on a breath that says I need something else to do, something more. “With your blessing, I’d like to take the role of a Doctor myself, at last.”

She tries not to think of how Asterion had been so pleased with her decision to become a medic. Samaira has too many ghosts on her heart, from this world and the last, and each one has a name that will not leave her be.

What she’s asking for is anything to keep her busy, to keep her away from all these haunted places. What she’s asking for is a distraction.

"Speaking."

credits

[Image: 13481303_KpOIcOG7drxHK9U.png?1556314753]
we'll fulfill our dreams
and we'll be free

Played by Offline bruiser [PM] Posts: 99 — Threads: 13
Signos: 1,000
Inactive Character

let our eyes show the 
fire in our hearts tonight

It hadn’t really sunk in yet.

Her mind had been a tangled mess the past few days, trying to sort out everything that has happened, and perhaps she has even refused to let the truth sink in, to absorb the fact that her friends had gone missing. Had refused, until the cold reality had slapped her in the face -- until she had gone to the training grounds beneath the afternoon sun, alone except for her thoughts, and had found herself looking for dark eyes and a kind smile the same way she had every few days.

Looking for a star-strewn boy who had become a king, who would stand there resting the butt of a training spear against the ground, and would gently chide her for the dark circles under her eyes as if he didn’t see the weight of the world resting on her wings. Looking for a dreamer who had asked her to teach him how to become a fighter, and oh, how the thought brought a lump to her throat even now.

Was he chasing his dreams, wherever he was?

Above her, the dark clouds begin to gather, hanging low over the Halcyon barracks, low enough to almost brush against the roof.

The spot where Asterion should have been waiting for her is empty. His spear is still in the rack, scuffed handle and all. She pauses, mid-stride, staring at the weapon rack as though it had suddenly grown two heads, as though it were something unfamiliar that she couldn’t quite understand.

Asterion isn’t here.

He isn’t here.

It sinks in like claws, sharp and deadly, and the last piece of hope she hadn’t even been aware she was clinging to shudders and dies violently within her breast. Abruptly the Champion reverses course, taking two steps back towards the barracks before her wings open and she leaps into the air, planning to fly -- somewhere.

Away.

Away from the awful truth that has wrapped itself around her brain -- that there is nothing she can do to fix this, nothing that she can fight to make this feeling go away, nothing she can mend to make the nation’s grief lessen. She cannot help the way she is howling with grief -- there is no sound escaping her mouth, but the storm responds with a fury, wrapping black clouds around her like a cloak, sending down sheets of rain that threaten to drown everything beneath them.

She is ripping apart on the inside, the girl with a shield for a heart and a sword for a tongue, the girl who cannot save everyone but would kill herself trying. How many times has she failed, now? Too many to count, enough to weigh heavy on her heart until she thought she would suffocate beneath the weight, this girl with a war raging in her heart and head, this wild girl who was more god than mortal in her grief.
The rain is beating a war drum against the ground, and she has no one to fight except herself. How could she call herself a Champion when she cannot protect her people, cannot protect Terrastella? Asterion had believed she could keep them safe, and yet -- what had she done to do so?

What had she done to earn his trust, his advice, his friendship?

What could she do to honor his memory?

She could help build a stronger Terrastella. She would support Marisol, of course -- would have always done so, whether as a common soldier or as a member of her regime; but she could be doing so much more to help support whoever Marisol picked as her advisers, as well. She could hunt down Manon, and Amaroq, and others who dared act against Terrastella.

The rain begins to soften. The storm begins to clear.

The light atop the citadel beckons her home.

When she lands before Marisol, there is only the storm in her eyes still, only a few droplets of water still clinging to her wings. When she hears Israfel step forward for Regent, it only solidifies her decision, and springs forth a new one.

She clears her throat and steps forward.

“If you have considered Israfel for Regent, then I would like to offer up myself for your Warden. I am not born of Terrastella, but it has become a part of me, and there is no other place I could imagine calling home -- let me serve our people as their sword and shield, the people you know that I have bled and fought for and would gladly continue to do so."
credits

Warden! While she knows Israfel will be leaving behind some large shoes to fill, she believes she will be better suited as the 'enforcer' for Terrastella, someone with the capacity to protect the people and carry out the Regime's wishes rather than only being given limited tools to react to situations that threaten her home as the Champion of Battle.

I think their biggest strength is the Halcyon, and of course the Hospital -- but perhaps their biggest weakness is their lack of utilization of either. Something that maybe isn't a plot but would be neat to see would be the messengers perhaps being utilized not just in Terrastella, but in other courts, as perhaps a more 'official' way to send letters or other messages?

We all know I'm a sucker for Halcyon (and would love to see the Ager being resettled/rebuilt in the future!) but a really interesting (and tragically underused!) part of the lore is the Scéal kelpies, and I would love to see them and their relationship with Terrastella in modern times be expanded upon, especially with the Halcyon lore that intersects with them!

4. What does your character believe should be the primary focus of the new regime and why? How would that be implemented?
She believes that upholding the legacy that Asterion and Florentine left them is important, and just as important is that Terrastella grow and adapt to a changing world in order to better protect itself and her people. With recent events, she is in full support of seeking out alliances with the other courts, to hopefully prevent another Raum from coming into power, and to also allow for easier communication / apprehension of any who would harm (or have harmed) Terrastellan citizens. I would definitely try to have Theo approach the other Wardens in an attempt to bring about an extradition system for inter-court crimes (such as, say, Manon's kidnapping of the twins) and attempt to figure out how such things should be handled and by which court.

fluctuates between lurker and 'does 10 posts in a day' lmao

she wasn't looking for a knight,
she was looking for a sword.

Played by Offline Rae [PM] Posts: 113 — Threads: 14
Signos: 5
Inactive Character

The kelpie follows the summons like a good citizen would. She winds her way through the fading light, thinking of how sweet this time is. Twilight in the court that grieves. Twilight, short-lived and fitful. Twilight sinking into night, painting the crowd in a palette of wine and bruises. They sway where they stand like leaves on a tree, and one by one they speak.

Anandi sees her opportunity taking shape. Shining sweetly in the flickering light that holds off the night. Growing ever bigger by the moment, swelling to fill the spaces grief leaves as it rips through a nation. She sees her opportunity and no one else steps forward to take it. It calls to her, siren song hot in her blood. She licks her lips. She steps forward.

Queen Marisol.” Her eyes flutter to the queen’s hooves, demure and respectful. “My name is Anandi. I have been a member of this court for almost two seasons now.” For a young girl not even four years old, it was a significant part of her life.

I believe I would serve Terrastella– and yourself– best as emissary.” A small pause, and she finally raises her sharp green eyes to queen Marisol. They look at each other, two sisters with an ocean between them vast and violent. And in that moment the grey-skinned kelpie promises to the brown, I can show you how deep these waters run.

A small, neat little smile, small enough that those sharp teeth remain hidden. “I myself am already an emissary of sorts, from a distant kingdom. I was raised to fulfill the job of speaking and acting on behalf of a nation.” Close your eyes you can feel the sea in the coastal breeze, calling you home. “ My plan is to travel all of Novus anyway, to learn more about the courts and the good people who live within each. Let me represent Dusk Court while I’m at it. I will act as the eyes, ears, and mouth of the court.” She calmly looks across the crowd, noting how well (or not) the public would receive her. She is careful, so very careful, to walk that fine line between confidence and arrogance. Most of these land walkers would not know her. They would not trust her unless she earned it.

I believe Terrastella can and should be the beacon of light that leads Novus forward in dark times. Between the strength of our Halcyon, the talents and resources of our hospital, and the character of our people,” her voice swells with pride. She says our people without missing a beat, even though it brings acid to the back of her throat. “We could be unstoppable.

She swallows her pride, drops her head into a low bow. Quietly, so not all the court can hear, she says “I am at your service, queen. Wherever you want me.” A slow, snakelike blink of the eyes. Wherever you want me. Let me show you how kind and sweet the sea can be.

like a shotgun
needs an outcome

art

Anandi is interested in Emissary. Let’s be real, it’s because she’s power hungry and manipulative. BUT she’s also quite well suited to the position. She is well spoken, courteous, and certainly not above manipulating others to get them to share their juicy secrets :’) YES she’s a hungry kelpie with selfish motivations, YES she’s not in this for love of country (at least… not currently?) but would she get the job done well? …PROBABLY. (extra credit: she already has plans to travel around Novus, integrating herself in the social network of people of Importance, and she will continue to do that regardless of whether or not she gets the position)

I LOVE the halcyon unit and I think it is a huge huge strength of Dusk! One of Dusk’s biggest weakness might be that her queen is a kelpie?? I’d love to explore some of the drama that might come of that. Anandi is happy to exploit her queen… for the greater good, of course. The hospital is also tragically underutilized. It could be a fun event to pair up healers/civilians (not sure we have enough healers alone D:) with soldiers to promote a sense of community.

Kelpie lore! Already working on it >:D events based on the sea (water games? sailing?)

Anandi believes Terrastella should be establishing itself as the leader of Novus through a combination of military and political dominance. Why? Because we CAN. Events should showcase war games and Halcyon flight abilities. The emissary should be well-established and well-received in all courts.

5 posts per month at the very minimum,  even on crappy months. If Andi becomes a regime member she will be my #1 priority

some say the loving and the devouring are all the same thing

Played by Offline Zombie [PM] Posts: 109 — Threads: 15
Signos: 650
Inactive Character

Rhone hears the call of Marisol and he obeys, as he has always done. He finds a large group gathered and it warms his heart to know that there are others who are just as obedient as he. He looks to each of them, his eyes warm and welcoming as he remembers each face gathered. He listened to them all, listening to their petitions for rank. It is a concept he is unfamiliar with. Each individual is laying out their resume for all to see, laying down all their cards. Rhone can’t help but wonder if this tactic is good, or potential for unwanted effects later. He can already see so many using this information to manipulate and coerce. But he says nothing, at least not right now.

He listens to each as they explain why they would be good in certain roles, and Rhone knows some of them would be excellent choices. While he’s not been here long, he has followed many of their stories. Many are well suited and some, he doesn’t know enough to comment.

But in the end, it is his turn to speak. Unlike the others, he is not asking for a position, but offering encouragement where he thinks it is needed. If not for those asking for rank, than for Marisol who will be ultimately choosing. "Each one of you would be well-suited in the roles you have chosen. And Marisol, each one you select is well deserving." He waits for a moment, knowing that his words might come as unwelcomed by some. "While I am fairly new to Terrastella and do not have the knowledge many of you possess, I am learning and will continue to be open to new knowledge. I want you all to know that I am here to serve Terrastella and that means I am here to serve you all in any way I can." He knows some will only see a new face that has not proven himself. Most do not know his history, his years of leadership underneath his belt. Perhaps that is what makes this so perfect for him.

He looks to Marisol, his eyes meeting hers. This time, his words are directed at her. "You alone know my history. I trust you will use that knowledge well to place me where you see fit…where I will be of the best use." He does not expect to be placed in rank, but more placed in situations where he will be of use. He doesn’t need the fancy titles or ranks. He just needs to serve Terrastella in the best ways he can. After all, it wasn’t about him…it was about the court.

Played by Offline RB [PM] Posts: 277 — Threads: 28
Signos: 180
Inactive Character

by sword
by salt
When they show up, Marisol is relieved, more than anything. She is relieved that they respect her enough to show up; relieved that they care enough to offer themselves; relieved that even in the wake of tragedy they are willing to attend to the needs of their country and that, like her, they will not flinch in the face of adversity.

When they show up, her heart soars high in her throat and she smiles, soft and sweet. She watches them filter in around her. and with each new body her spirit climbs higher. until her body buzzes with adrenaline and her pulse is like gunfire in her chest, and though the sky is dark, the people of Terrastella burn too bright to fade out; they shimmer in the dim purple light.

Israfel is the first to step up. If Marisol is not surprised, she is at least pleased—despite herself she has to suppress a kind of smirk, and her eyes meet Israfel’s not with their regular coldness but with a gleam that speaks of knowing that is almost mischief. How bold is she, and how brave. They are yin and yang. Light and dark. Where Israfel roars like fire, Marisol is dark and cool. It is the most unexpected kind of balance.

As the sun daughter steps to the queen’s side, Marisol’s brow raises in mild surprise—even for her the move is bold—but she says nothing. As always, Marisol is better at listening. Her eyes meet the flame of Israfel’s steadily. She dips her head, then, to acknowledge the end of the Warden’s speech: in a wry voice that only Israfel can hear, she mutters, “Oh, how you flatter me,” and then coolly turns her eyes back to the crowd.

Bright-winged, dark-eyed Uzuri steps forward then, and Marisol listens with her ears pricked forward. Without effort she remembers the day that they met in the fields, and how entranced she had been with the intricacies of her coat; it is no different now, for still Uzuri stands strange and different from their people. But underneath that Marisol knows her heart is true and strong, just as dedicated to the blessings of Vespera as anyone else in the crowd.

Marisol is surprised and warmed by the request of Samaira, who steps forward then, and it is this request that she chooses to respond first. (When Marisol looks at her, she still finds it hard not to think of that fearful girl she’d found in the woods, the awkward angle of the shattered wing; it is amazing how strong she looks now, though, Mari realizes, it is not altogether surprising.) 

“Samaira,” she begins, and is hardly aware that she is speaking—it does not sound like her, the voice is so warm and relaxed—“I would bless your request a hundred times over. By Her hand.” And with shining eyes she presses her cheek, for a brief moment, against Samaira’s, and then steps back wearing a faint, sad smile. 

She still cannot help thinking of Asterion.

Theodosia speaks then, in that voice she knows show well, and when Marisol does meet her eyes it is hard not to shiver. The champion looks like a god—crackling with lightning, shedding raindrops, her eyes fiery—and it is at once beautiful and unsettling, like watching a disaster unfold in real time. Warden, she says, and Marisol’s lips curl up, just barely.  It is all the reaction she gives.

The next to stand forward is a woman Marisol has never quite talked to, only seen around the court. Initially that fact is enough to dissatisfy her, to make suspicion rise in her like the hackles on a wolf, but oh, she’s a charming one—with every word Mari finds herself a little less prickly, and by the end of the girl’s speech, her head is ringing with it. This girl, when she bows, a cloud of salt-smell fills the air. Marisol’s pupils dilate. Her breath sharpens.

A water-horse.

A girl who would—might—know her in a way no one else does.

Her throat tightens; suddenly it is hard to swallow. Of all decisions, she thinks, this will be the hardest to make, though there is only one candidate for the position.

The queen raises her head. Her eyes are steady, but not unkind; they look out over her people with the kind of fearful, reserved love worthy of only those most holy things.

“Israfel will be our Regent.”

She touches her cheek to the sun-daughter’s.

“Theodosia will be our Warden, and Uzuri, if you are willing, shall fill her previous role as Champion of Battle.”

Again she presses her cheek to Theodosia’s, then to Uzuri’s, brief as a thunderclap and warm as a fire.

“And Rhone—you will always be a most trusted advisor. Thank you, always.” Though it is not official in any capacity, Marisol is still glad to step forward, to offer the respectful touch with a gaze that says you are safe with me.

And then the phrase that makes her chest seize: “Anandi,” she says, “will be our Emissary.” Cheek to cheek again. But this time she lingers just a little bit longer, meets Anandi’s eyes with a little more ferocity; when they touch she whispers quickly, coolly that they might like to talk privately, later.

When she draws back the Commander is stoic and cool as ever.

There is no fanfare or celebration, no complex ritual to be enacted; Marisol only meets her people's eyes with dazzling calm and says, “I promise you that Terrastella will gladly feast on those who would subdue her.”

Feast. 

It is not a word Asterion would use.

“Speaking.”
credits

[Image: ddg6quy-9d15dab5-339c-4b09-8b57-20a99fda...jvUop12efQ]