Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - [FALL] i can hear the ocean whisper

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Corrdelia

Initially, Corr didn't want to come down to the markets to see the memorials. She is still trying to work out the pain of losing Asterion, as well as Florentine and Lysander. The king’s disappearance hit her much harder just for the reason of her knowing him a little better. It was clear though that the loss of the three created an empty place in the heart of Terrastella that would take time to heal.

Yet here she is, wandering the streets of Denocte. It may have been her curiosity that finally led her down here as she hadn’t set foot in the lands yet. She realizes she should’ve arrived much sooner as the markets are abuzz. Although she is overwhelmed with emotions from the crowd, she is amazed at all the activity. There are merchant booths and the delicious scent of cider in the air. Even though there are memorials set up, there are games and laughter. It reminds her of how they treated vigils back in Astreas and she smiles.

Hasta wandered off to find leftover snacks along the ground while Corr went up ahead. She is a mix of emotions- there is wonder, delight, but under the surface still lies mourning. It’s been hard to kick the bout of depression away, but she’s been trying her best to stay strong. The Court needed that kind of healing instead of just another depressed being.

She purchases a cup of cider and sips it slowly as she walks. Memorials are lined up on the sides of the market streets and her eyes scan through for only one name. When she sees it, her heart catches in her throat for a minute. Even though he is not of Denocte, Corr knows he made an impact on many and so she is happy to see that Asterion has an altar here. She walks to stand in front of it and pauses to take it all in. It’s not as lavishly decorated as some of the others, but beautiful nonetheless. There are candles lit around his name and an assortment of flowers.

From the bag she brought, she takes out seashells and aquamarine stones and sets them in a small crystal grid on his altar. The pattern she creates with them reminds her of a compass mark and Corr is satisfied with her addition. If he were here, hopefully he would appreciate it.

Taking another sip of her cider, she remains in silence looking down at the memorial. "We miss you Asterion," she says in her mind, but really to his spirit, if it were able to listen. "I hope you’re safe, wherever you are."

"Speaking."

credits

Open to anyone <3

Played by Offline Zombie [PM] Posts: 109 — Threads: 15
Signos: 650
Inactive Character

The festival that Denocte had put on was lavish in every sense. There was laughter and cheering in every inch of the famous Night Court Markets. Children are laughing and playing, adults are playing games for prizes. Vendors have booths set up along the streets, selling trinkets, food, and other items. It reminds him of stories he had heard of fairs set in ancient times where people walked through the booths of vendors dressed elaborately in costumes. This isn’t much different, only it isn’t set in times past but in the present. He has sampled some of the foods, preferring the warm cinnamon apples the best, played a few of the games, but he is ready to really dig into why the festival is here.

He walks quietly now, his steps slow and without noise. He can see the alters set up along the path and he remembers the candle he had lit for his daughter who he hopes is looking down on him from above. Many of these are doted with pictures, flowers, candles, and other various trinkets. Most of the names are names he does not recognize, names that probably only mean something to those that had placed them here. But there is one that he comes upon that knocks him back. Breath ceases to fill his lungs as he looks at the alter that reads: Asterion. He can feel the waves of emotion that rush over him, the pain of loss and the hope he has for Terrastella.

There is another standing there, honoring Asterion in her own way. He’s seen her before, though he doesn’t know her personally. He comes to stand beside her quietly, just allowing their closeness to comfort one another. She is from his own court, having also made the journey to participate in the festivals.

He lets a comfortable amount of silence fill the space in between them before he slowly lowers his head to the alter. He breathes hot air upon it, letting his magic flow through him and into the ground he touches. As he pulls back, there is a small sprout, new life breaking through the tinniest crack in the cobblestone streets. And as his magic flows through him, the flower grows. It grows until it blooms into a beautiful lily. It represents hope - hope that Asterion is safe and hope for Terrastella. He sighs softly as he turns to offer Corrdelia a soft smile.

@Corrdelia

Corrdelia

A familiar scent carries over the cider and Corr turns to see another from Terrastella take a spot next to her. She does not know him by name, but he seems familiar. Having another from the Court is comforting as many are likely feeling the same emotions as her. Possibly even worse if they knew Asterion longer than her.

After a few moments, the man leans down and lets out a breath closer to the altar base. Corr tilts her head and watches as a sprout comes to life before their eyes. Magic must be at work as it transforms from a small green bud into a brightly colored lily. She gasps in awe and smiles warmly.

"What a beautiful gift you have," she comments, admiring the freshness of the newly bloomed flower. It's as real as any lily you would find in a garden and not something of an illusion. It grew right up from the cracks of the streets and placed its roots below Asterion's altar. A beautiful addition to her gifts from the sea.

"My name is Corrdelia, crow witch and resident psychic of Terrastella," she proudly introduces herself with a bow. As if on cue, Hāsta flies over and takes perch on her shoulder while finishing the last bites of rabbit she scavenged. "And this is my companion, Hāsta."

When she looks back to the altar, although much more lively than before, it still brings about many emotions. The trio's disappearance still makes no sense since no bodies had been reportedly found. Marisol had been named Regent not too long before Asterion disappeared, so it was almost as if he had planned this.

But why not tell the Court?

"I think he's still out there," she blurts out, her tone becoming more confident. "I don't believe he's dead. Something in my gut tells me he and the others are still alive." Her smile from earlier has disappeared and she just presses her lips together while in deep thought. He had to be, he had to be. But, what did this man think? Corr looks at him with curiosity of his own theories buzzing in his mind and hopes he might share them.

@Rhone <3
"Speaking."

credits

Inactive Character

As the lily blossoms from the earth, Rhone hardly notices the way the mare has turned her attention to him. He uses his magic not for attention, but because he feels as though this is how he should honor Asterion. This is what his king would have wanted at his grave site. He would have wanted to see the beauty of Rhone’s magic just as he had seen the beauty of it on the cliff in Terrastella. He had been tickled that Rhone, a newcomer, had offered up his own gifts to repair a land that had been riddled with flooding. So now, he hoped that Asterion was looking down to see the lily, to see the little bit of beauty that Rhone was trying to cultivate.

At her words, Rhone looks over to her and offers her a soft smile. He did not expect for his gift to be recognized, but he wasn’t trying to hide it either. "Thank you. I think Brighton every day for such a gift." Brighton may not be a god here on Novus, but he was the god that Rhone worship for giving him such a gift. It had been Brighton who gave him the ability to manipulate the earth when he lived on Hoof Prince. He had spent his life worshiping the god and now he was showering him with abundant praise.

As she introduces herself, Rhone takes a moment to turn fully towards her, offering her the respect of his full attention. Corrdelia. He recognized the name and the face and it was a pleasure to finally be able to connect the two together. Eyes flicker to the crow who sits perched on her bonded’s shoulder. "It is a pleasure to finally formally meet you both. My name is Rhone." He does not tell her he is the Champion of Wisdom. Titles had always felt odd coming from his lips. It had been a title he hadn’t asked for, but had been given to him by Asterion. And so he would wear it proudly, even if he didn’t always share the title along with his introductions.

At her revelation that she still believed them to all be out there, alive somewhere, he can only nod his head. "I would agree with you…some things aren’t adding up." With Marisol being named regent just before his disappearance, Asterion had also given him his title of champion. It almost was as if he planned to leave. And if he planned to leave, perhaps he wanted them to believe him dead. "I believe he wants us to think he’s dead." He pauses for a moment as he looks to Corrdelia’s eyes. "I don’t think he will be coming back…not any time soon, at least." Perhaps he had things he needed to accomplish. Perhaps he would come back when he had done all he set out to do. There were so many ifs, so many scenarios. But one thing was certain - Asterion wanted them to move on. He wanted them all to be at peace with his departure.

@Corrdelia

Corrdelia

The man seems like a gentle soul with his soft smile and earth magic. Corr has always admired those who are connected with the Earth in this way. Although she feels blessed to have the gifts she has, she's always wished she could share this stronger connection. For now, she'll just have to live vicariously through others.

"Brighton?" she asks curiously after the man mentions being thankful for him. The name is unknown to her, so she's not sure if he's someone important within Novus or just the man personally. Either way, they must be pretty important if they were able to give out this kind of magic.

Now having a name to a face, Corrdelia feels like she's heard his name before. Rhone isn't one of the higher counsel, but she's fairly certain he's one of the Champions. She doesn't pry, but wonders if she should ask later. "Pleasure is mine, Rhone."

The crow witch's expression lights up when he quickly agrees with her on her hunch about Asterion. Many did not and some had gotten offended, so it feels relieving to have someone else on the same page. As he continues to speak, his suggestions are very interesting. If Asterion planned to leave and wanted everyone to think he was dead, he must've had a good reason… right?

"Maybe he was… running from something," she suggests, though not completely beliving the idea. The former king didn't seem that much of a coward, but then again she didn't know him as well as others. Surely if he wasn't running away, whatever it was had to have been important if he was abandoning his own Court.

"I think you're right though," she added in regards to Asterion likely not coming back soon. "But, I do miss him a lot. I haven't been in Novus very long, but he was - is - someone I'm honored to have met."

Memories from the island will always stick with her. He seemed like a lively man with a pure soul, but there is still so much she doesn't know about this new world. Maybe he had a new calling somewhere else and needed to start making a difference there. At the least, they could only hope wherever he is, he's not in any pain or distress.

@Rhone <3
"Speaking."

credits

Inactive Character

Rhone always seems to forget that he comes from another place, a place ruled by twelve gods and goddesses and not four. He forgets that he was once more powerful than most, able to wield powers many could only comprehend. Many do not see Rhone as the type who would want such power and they would be right. Rhone had never asked for such power, but it had been granted to him anyway. He had made do with what he had been given and the gods had thanked him for it.

He does not realize he has let some of his past slip out until he hears her question the unfamiliar god. He forgets that in this place, they do not know of the gods he has served, that they don’t know much about his past at all. You see, Rhone has kept most of that a secret, not because it was a horrible past or full of death and destruction. He has kept that part of himself a secret because he is trying to be someone different here. He has made so many mistakes, so many bad choices in his lifetime. Novus is a chance for him to make amends, to correct the wrongs he has done.

He sighs softly as he looks up at her, trying to determine just how he wants to explain Brighton to her in a way in which she might understand. "Brighton is the god of earth in the land I came from." It was simple and to the point. Brighton was a god who had given him his gifts. He was from a land far from here. That was all she needed to know.

Thankfully, they move swiftly from the topic of Brighton to Asterion, something he feels as though he was speak far more freely about. He loved his king and Asterion had been there for him and welcomed him into a foreign world. Rhone was an observer and he had connected dots about Asterion’s mysterious disappearance. Many had disagreed with him, many had thought him a traitor for such thoughts. But thankfully, he felt safe here with Corrdelia, he felt safe enough to speak his own mind. She seemed to agree with him, though, that there was more to his story than he wanted told. "Perhaps…but I am sure he had a good reason for leaving the way he did." They may not understand why, but surely Asterion had a grand design in all of this. Surely there was a reason he had left.

She speak again, admitting that she missed him. Rhone had to agree. He missed meeting with him at sunrise over the cliffs. He missed seeing the joy and love in his subject’s eyes as he strolled through the city. He missed the easy conversations. "He was really the first and only to truly welcome me to Novus." Erd and Ard had welcomed him, but he hadn’t seen the twins in a while too. Where had they gone? Perhaps Rhone should not make friends. It seemed as though all those in Novus that he had grown close to had disappeared on him. Was it him? Or was he simply reading too much into the lines.

Rhone is silent a moment as he reflects on all those that have gone missing in his life. He should not think these things, and he knows this, but he cannot help those feelings of self-doubt. "Wherever he is, I hope he is safe…and happy." Rhone would never wish pain or unhappiness on anyone. He just wanted them to all be safe and happy, no matter where life might lead them.

Corrdelia

It's hard to tell if Corr may have hit a nerve when asking about Brighton. Rhone sighs before he explains that they are a god of earth from the land he's from, but leaves it at that. It brings about many questions, but she elects not to ask as it seems to be too much trouble in some way.

But it makes her curious- is the power too much of a burden? Would he rather not wield such abilities? If Corr could, she'd create gardens of lilies and lavender. Both for the aesthetic and the purpose of healing. It'd certainly be more helpful in the colder months when such plants and herbs were hard to find.

As the conversation shifts to Asterion, the man says he's sure that their King had a good reason to leave. The mare agrees; she never got a vibe from him that he was lying or had any sort of malicious intent. He seemed troubled, but not so much that he might jump into the sea to meet his end. They very well could never find out what truly happened, so tonight could be treated like closure.

Rhone confides that Asterion was the first and only to truly welcome him into the lands. This makes her heart ache. The Court had seemed so welcoming when she first arrived, Asterion included of course. Maybe she is just always seeing the good in others that it doesn't trouble her if someone doesn't spend a lot of time to make her feel comfortable. She is also more self-sufficient so after setting up her home in the swamp, she felt content without needing to socialize with many of the Court. But, not everyone felt this way.

"How long have you been in Novus?" she asks, skirting around more questions of his homeland just in case. "I think I've been here almost a year now. It doesn't feel like it's been that long, but Asterion was very welcoming to me too. It made the transition easier."

The mood here and throughout the streets is so somber, it dampens her mood almost too much. She is naturally a positive individual, so to be soaking in so many negative thoughts and feelings is making her almost weak. It certainly would do her no good if the tone continued to be this way.

"What is your favorite memory of him?" she asks with curiosity, her eyes shifting to Rhone. She looks almost like a child who is eager to hear a story told by their parents at bedtime. Corr hopes it's a happy memory and maybe one that will make Rhone smile.

@Rhone <3
"Speaking."

credits

Inactive Character

Speaking of Brighton, of his past home, of his past life is food for the soul. Rhone has lived so much in his lifetime and he has so much to share. But here in Novus, people did not seem to care about the histories of others, how they so shaped their very lives, their very essence. One’s history was so important in understanding where someone has been, where they are, and where they are going. But it seemed people in Novus did not care. They only cared about the here and now, not about the past or the future. Rhone recognized this from some of his first few moments here in Novus and he has sense said he will now share his past or his hopes for the future…not unless someone asks it of him. If someone wants to know where he’s been, then he will share with them years of wisdom. But if they don’t care, then he will go to his grave with his past experiences and advice/hope for the future.

They talk about Asterion, and Rhone says that the male was the first and only to truly welcome him. Sure, he had bumped into Erd and Ard when he first arrived, but at the time they had no idea he was joining their court. When Rhone arrived, flood waters had taken Terrastella and ruined much of it. When he arrived, he immediately set to work at rebuilding the court that he didn’t know. He made himself a home and he was happy here. As much as he wanted true friendships, many did not seem interested in a friendship with an older, much plainer gentleman. And so he did things in secret, if only to make his court more beautiful and not for recognition. One day someone might take notice of him. Perhaps one day he might find a true friend here.

She asks him how long he’s been in Novus and Rhone turns to offer her a soft smile. "A year or so, I suppose. I came just after Terrastella was reopened following the floods." He did not really keep track of time like many, so he was not entirely sure when he had arrived, only that he had arrived after destruction.

When she asks what his favorite memory of Asterion was, it does not take Rhone long to know exactly what memory that was. Already it has drawn a smile to his face. "One morning I was admiring the beauty of the sunrise on the cliff side…" He paused a moment as he began to relive the moment. "I decided to grow an oak tree where a tree should not normally grow. Asterion caught me growing the sapling. He added some water and we stood there simply admiring the dawn and simply talking." It was not some grand memory or one filled with action and adventure. It was a subtle memory, but Rhone held it quite dear. "And what of your favorite memory?" Surely she had a memory too. Asterion probably had many fond memories with many individuals.

@Corrdelia

Corrdelia

The Floods. Corr remembers hearing the stories of the great disasters that happened not too long ago throughout the Courts. The deities seemed to become angered and there was destruction everywhere. She is thankful the two of them didn't have to go through it, but at the same time, she feels for those who did. At least, it seems, those days were over.

When Rhone recalls his favorite memory, his smile makes her smile. She's glad the change of topic is able to make him feel less somber. As he tells his story, she can imagine it in her mind and it's beautiful. She wonders too if that tree is still there and how it's thriving.

He asks of her favorite memory and it's one she is always thinking back on these days. "It was on the island, before it crumbled back to the sea. We explored the forest and almost the entire time he was nervous and distrusting of the land. I think I warmed him up to the place a little more once he realized the wonder of it." She laughs, remembering their talk of portals too. "Then we went back home and shared a pot of tea."

She looks at the altar again and sighs. Perhaps this is the kind of closure they needed. Even while there were still so many unanswered questions, they needed to move on. Both for their sake and their Court's sake.

"Well, friend, I think it's time I head back to Terrastella," she says with a warm smile. "If you'd ever like a cup of tea yourself, you're always welcome at my home in the swamps. Or, even if you wanted to show me that oak tree you two grew. I'd love to see it."

Corr leans down and presses her nose to the ground by the altar as one last goodbye. Then she dips her head to Rhone as she turns to head north with Hāsta flying above her.

@Rhone figured this would be a good place to end <3 thank you for a lovely thread!
"Speaking."

credits

Inactive Character

Rhone listens quietly to her story about her walk with Asterion on the island. He remembers many conversation doing simple day-to-day things. Perhaps that is what he liked about Asterion the most. Even as a king, he was able to get down on the level of his other subjects and just get to know them on a personal level. It wasn’t so much about a king ruling his people, but a friend sent to guide them. At least, that’s he thought of their interactions. "That sounds like a lovely afternoon." A pot of tea did sound splendid. A walk, some refreshments, and good conversation had always been a favorite past time of Rhone’s.

He looked up at her when she mentioned that it was time for her to head back to Terrastella. He offered her a gentle nod of his head when she offered him a cup of tea or an outing to see the oak tree he had grown. "As I would love to share a pot of tea with you. Until next time." He watches quietly as she says her last goodbye to Asterion. It was a beautiful memorial and the Night Court had won points for allowing such a place to remember a great leader, even if it wasn’t their own.

After she leaves him alone to his own thoughts, he sighs. He looks down at the alter, wishing there was more he could say or do. He grows another lily there, making sure that this piece of stone will always share beauty. "I miss you, brother." His words were soft and mostly unsaid. They were nothing but a whisper on the wind for only his own ears to hear. Perhaps Asterion would hear them. Perhaps he would see just how much he was missed.

And with a final sigh, Rhone too heads back to Terrastella, the cherry blossom tattoo on his right hip is left losing its leaves somberly. It reflects the sadness Rhone feels, the withering away of something great. But something knew would rise, he was sure of it. Something always did.

@Corrdelia - A closer <3