Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

- Echoes of You

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Efphion

Swallow cities to feel alive...

Snow. It was the vile opposite of heat. The absence of heat. Frozen water that spewed forth from the sky like rotten ash. Effy found herself at the island once more, this was the second time she'd been here. The first time had not led her anywhere, despite the rumor of a relic hiding on the island. The Day Court soldier was convinced that the island had more to offer anyone who was persistent enough to seek it out. She was persistent enough to seek it out. Her charcoal limbs carried her deftly through the snow. It was an element that was not well known to the Solterran soldier. Her daggers slid beneath her as she practically skated across the bridge. 

Her uncoordinated movements on the bridge didn't cease until she was firmly upon the island's sand. The sand was beneath the snow, and it was creating a monstrous amount of mud, but it was still better than ice. Effy snorted as she cast a disdainful glance back toward the bridge. As though an inanimate object could slight her. Effy could believe that anything could slight her. She was volatile. The Solterran soldier moved onward, she followed the tracks of others that lead toward the center of the island. Effy knew that was where the relic had been recovered, though she did not know who had taken it. The ash stained minx stopped only when she saw movement nearby. 

Lights dashed off into the trees as though they were frantically dancing way from her. The sound of giggles trailed away, the sound followed the lights. It lured Effy in that direction. She was never one to fear the unknown. She was not crippled by the unknown like her sister. Noctiilucent would come later. Effy needed a day that she did not writhe with violence over her blasphemous sibling.

Words: 308 | Notes: Ahh this is not the best post, but it is her first one in a few months. | Tags: --

... Spit them out when I'm satisfied

Played by Offline Kansassy [PM] Posts: 15 — Threads: 3
Signos: 1,595
Inactive Character

The first time I saw the island had been moons ago, or at least it felt as much. I can still remember how the sands sank beneath my weight, the musk of a hundred equines muddled together as they all vied for the best view. Terror, fear, wonder, curiosity all filled my nose with a heady miasma I hoped to never experience again. Here, now, the rumors of the islands return appeared to be true. But it was different. This was not the same island I gazed upon the year before, this was a new island simply taking its place.

Cold air clawed at my hair, making it difficult to see straight as it continuously whipped into my eyes. I could remember, vividly what the island was like, had been like, and it was not this. This was a winter wonderland, with snow so tall that it sucked me up to my knees. Except, when I looked down to see my next step, I discovered that I was wrong and it was in fact only to above my ankles. How strange! I think, even as the rational part of my mind tells me it is merely natural that time would see me older and taller. It is hard for me to imagine myself growing, even though it is only the natural order of things indeed! With a small, secret smile I look back to the island. The trees are still present, yet they too have changed. The fauna is shorter, stockier with pale leaves that seem impervious to what should have killed them. Thriving as magically as they had the first time. Everything was whiter, for sure.

I remember... I remember neon and green and shine that made everything seem extraterrestrial, as if its very existence was vibrating. Creatures that were very real, very solid, and yet not quite there at all. The dappled sunlight leaving strangely dappled shadows on the ground as I continued to stare. Just as it had been the first time, there was something strange here, something new. Though they were not creatures I do not think, or really anything that I could put my hoof on. They whispered through the atmosphere, soft giggling that tickled the shell of my ear, making me look to find nothing there. Once I swear I saw one, whatever it was. A vague shape outlined with ethereal light that made it almost impossible to make any real deductions, and a whistling that preceded its abrupt departure. 

And just as suddenly as it came and went, I spied another, far more tangible body. This one was definitely solid and imbued with an air of attitude that immediately set my hackles on guard. A feeling that crept along my spine and made my legs tremble ever so. Was it fear? I would not say it was quite that, but there was a healthy does of caution which blanketed itself across my thoughts as I waited for her approach.

"Hail, stranger," I call gently through the misty air, "are you well?"

ooc: @Efphion  

Efphion

Shuffling hooves sounded off to her left, and her auds twitched in response. Her head swiveled abruptly, in a predatory fashion, and only halted when she found the source of the sound. There was another who called out to her, asking if she was well. They appeared like a phantom, their face was as white as the snow that rested quietly at their feet. Their eyes were like those of the Oracles of Reth. White. She and Effy stood at a similar height, though Effy thought she may be slightly taller. She could practically taste the apprehension of the woman who dared call out to her. At least she was not some impish sprite that dove into the shadows of the forest.  Efphion did not feel a surge of rage when this woman interrupted her. Yet. She did have to stop the snarl that bubbled up into her throat. It was unwise to approach strangers while alone, at least unless you knew you could defend yourself. Effy offered no friendly smile, all that was offered were puffs of vapor that disappeared into the air. "Better if it was not for the skullduggery of the imps of the forest. Lest I be losing what's left of my mind, Stranger." She almost growled, but her words were as cold and threatening as the chill in the air around them.

Effy took a few more moments to study the stranger, she wondered what this woman wanted. "Are you nervous, Stranger?" She asked, again the predatory nature of the Solterran appeared. She latched onto any signs of discomfort in her presence. She always went in for the kill when someone showed her any signs of weakness. Even if it was only her perception of weakness. Yes, Effy and Raum had been similar if only in that way. That was only what she had known of him from the way he'd nearly destroyed Solterra. A tyrant who had exploited the weakness of a kingdom. He was as traitorous as her sister, and so she felt a violent hatred for him. All of these things were simply assumptions she had made. "Are you well, Stranger?" Effy asked her, but the question did not fall from her lips out of concern for her companion's well being.

Effy approached her companion, the glint of the huntress in her eye did not fade. She was like a cat on the prowl, the glint in her eyes was that of mischief. The look of when they relished in toying with their prey. There was a light tinkling that sounded as she moved. Her elegantly curved bodice played a song as the tassels of her necklace collided together. Efphion noted that this woman indeed stood only slightly shorter than she did. She noted their hooves buried beneath the snow just like her. The Solterran soldier halted a few feet before the other woman, and extended her muzzle as if to offer a greeting. The violence and wrath were absent this night. This woman was lucky. "I am Effy of Solterra. You should be careful about approaching others, especially at night. You never know what kinds of beasts are poised and ready to maim you." The Solterran soldier spoke, her voice was low. It still lacked the concern one might find in a friendlier equine. It was a wonder that Effy did not pounce upon this little mouse as soon as she displayed any signs of discomfort. Not completely.

Words: 577 | Notes: This should be an interesting thread! Illu is so cute ;__; | Tags: @Illu

Played by Offline Kansassy [PM] Posts: 15 — Threads: 3
Signos: 1,595
Inactive Character

They could have been anyone, could have done anything. But they did not. They could not have possibly known who I was, though I dared allow the thought to cross my mind. I was merely the not-Princess of Denocte after-all. No one of real import. She spoke of imps and I wonder if she spoke of the strange, whistling beings from before. The ones that were there, but not really there in their halo of light. There were none to be seen from my point of view.

There was no answer to be given as she continued, turning to face me with a glint in her eyes. Not quite a threat, no, more like a passive annoyance. Are you nervous, stranger? she asks, taking slow, purposeful steps in my direction. From the ripple of muscle beneath her skin to the veiled tone of her voice, it could only be presumed that this mare expected me to be frightened. I watched her advance, watched her mouth work as if she were trying to swallow something vile as she moved on to introduce herself. Effy, of Solterra. Not the first time I have ever met a Solterran, but the first time I have ever encountered one of their soldiers. As she speaks of beasts and danger, I can only offer a single raised brow, fighting to hide the amusement from my gaze. What would Isra do? I think, knowing that she would not allow herself to show any signs of affect or weakness. The sea-born Queen would hold herself with elegance and poise. She would probably have some poetic words to say about the spitfire's attitude. I... had none of these things. Elegance was a practice yet beyond my grasp. Though even as the thought crossed my mind, I adjusted my stance so as to appear more steady on my feet.

Something moved within the wood, teasing my peripheral.

"Well met, Effy of Solterra." I speak, finally, keeping my voice soft and even. "I am Illu of Denocte." Should I tell her about Isra? I wonder. Should I tell her that there are no creatures to bump me in the night that I have not already survived. Should I tell her about the- my breath catches as a flurry of commotion explodes from the trees. It is a high pitched keening sound that buries itself into the shell of my ear like a burr. Light is everywhere, small, angry bodies of pure energy that appeared to be utterly furious. For why though, I have no idea.

ooc: @Efphion LOOL i love.  

Efphion

Effy studied the younger mare before her, she lost interest in her prey when they failed to react to her prompts. Yet, the predatory nature of her gaze did not leave. She did not cease to be a predator simply because her prey did not trigger her hunting instincts. Effy was only slightly taller than the pale youth, not that it bothered her much. Height made little difference when it came to the prowess of battle. That was only determined based upon their training and how many times they had come to blows with others. The Solterran soldier did not react to the youth's lack of response. She simply ceased her own movements, her hawk-like gaze continually studying the mare before her. The words that fell from her companion's lips were in the form of a salutation. Well met. Effy nearly bristled at the lack of response, but she did not want to display such tactlessness yet. A smile formed on her face, it accented the elegant curves that made up the structure of her visage. Her golden eyes did not shrink with her smile, it was not genuine. Nothing about this encounter was genuine, except for possibly Illu. "Yes, well met." She responded the words were dry and unemotional.

Effy did not get a chance to say more before a roar of sound filled the air around them. Light abruptly appeared in swathes, as though it was made of large bees. Her auds pinned against her skull, and her enamels made an appearance. It was ironic that she had warned Illu about such creatures, and here they spilled from the forest they stood in. The snarl she'd trapped in her throat rumbled from her ash and ink-stained lips. Her golden eyes squinted in response to the abrupt stimuli that surrounded them. This was not the doing of Solis, it lacked the warmth of the Sun. Effy was instinctive in her movements, and she put herself between Illu and the strange, bioluminescent creatures. It was habitual from her time in Reth, and the expectations of soldiers to protect those that were younger than them. Effy didn't care about this youth, and she cursed the habit in a foreign tongue.

"Looks like they weren't happy with the jabs I made at them." She muttered with her wrath building inside. She felt like a dam that was ready to burst, and she felt helpless. Effy was no magician, she couldn't fight pure energy as much as she wanted to. The violent soldier turned toward Illu and reached over to grab her mane to tug her into a run. Effy began to move with swift, decisive steps away from the sudden rush of energy around them. If Illu followed her it would be beneficial, though she wasn't going to sit there and babysit or protect a stranger. She wasn't Noctii. 

Words: 477 | Notes: Ahh this is not the best post, but it is her first one in a few months. | Tags: @Illu