Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - Only Skin Deep

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Silasthein

The secrets we keep..

Pain. 

Each step he took only brought pain. The edges of his vision were black, accented only by the thick taste of iron upon his tongue. Silas shuffled in the direction of where he had been instructed healers would be. It had been a long journey, much longer than he had ever anticipated. Silas hadn't expected to literally be dumped into another world, let alone dumped without his magic. The empty well inside him made him feel hollow. A grunt escaped his lips as he dragged himself through the heart of a bustling court. He did not know it yet, but this was where the travelers had instructed him to go. Each breath he drew in caused him pain, so much that at times he had to stop. Silas didn't bother wiping the blood from his limbs nor maw. He had large bruises along his left side that were hardly discernible given the hue of his pelt.

There were so many strangers bustling about, and in the sea of faces, all he could see was a look of concern. Silas just had to make it to their healers, and then he could let up. Just one more step forward, one more step closer. The thought encouraged him to move forward, despite the protest of his body. Silas could feel the grinding in his torso each time he drew in too deeply. He had no idea how far he'd fallen through that portal. If he had simply fallen out of the tower in Muramir, he would have been dead. The stench of mud and rot soon filled his nares, this told him he was going in the right direction. The travelers had told him that there were healers in a swamp south of his previous location. 

Pain. More Pain.

It was almost blinding, the darkness that crept at the edges of his vision threatened to overtake all his consciousness once more. More iron skittered across his tongue, so much that it dripped from his maw. Ahead he could see a busier section, through the marshy terrain. This must be what those two travelers had been talking about. Once he reached the entrance, he stopped and gave a concerned-looking equine a smile. More iron fell from his lips. "I think I'm in pretty bad shape." He sputtered to the mare before he found himself on his knees. His frame was heavy with exhaustion and pain. Oh, the pain.

Words: 406 | Notes: his first stop after falling into Novus <3 | Tags: Open

... The lives we lead

Played by Offline Katherine [PM] Posts: 60 — Threads: 8
Signos: 0
Inactive Character

She rarely walks the court anymore, not unless it is coming and going from her home, or to the markets. There is too much here, on these cobblestone streets, that remind her of days and those long gone. They are painful. She does not want to remember them.

So Samaira leaves before sunrise, when everything is awash in a dim haze, and the memories are still lingering in darkness and not in the light. She leaves before sunrise, with Alaunus gliding on silent wings above her, his shadow draping over her shoulders, giving her wings that she has not had the courage to use in months. And she comes home in the dark, after all her patients are asleep, when the only thing to keep her company is the lonely glow of lamplight.

The sun is high, though it barely bleeds through the thick branches that cradle the hospital and weave over its roofs. The hospital is, as always, a bustle of activity. Doctors and medics brush along the pathways strung between wings, some with the lemur-like helpers poised upon their backs. Samaira is making her way to the rehabilitation wing when an arousal of noise catches her attention from below.

Glancing down, she can see equines gathered about at the base of the hospital’s roots. She can sense more than hear their concern from her place, high above them in the trees. Someone shouts for a doctor. She takes a lift down to the swamp floor, her steps echoing on the wooden planks keeping them up and out of the wet and mud.

“Give them some space,” she says as she reaches the gathered equines, “you’ll do them no good suffocating them like that. Back up.” The pegasus gets her first look at the injured equine and is shocked to see them still alive, if barely. She glances up, toward the branches above. “Alaunus!” her moon-silver eyes search the dark canopy for the iridescent shine of her bonded’s feathers.

She feels him before she sees him, his concern zipping along that invisible line between them like a bolt of lightning. “I’m coming,” he responds, and a few moments later appears beside her with the beating sound of wings. “Hello?” she says, voice more gentle than it was a moment ago, “can you tell me what happened to you?” Her biggest concern right now is this equine losing consciousness before she has a chance to find out what needs to be done.

“Alaunus, can you alleviate some of his pain, I need him to stay awake,” Samaira glances sidelong at her bonded, but his blue eyes haven’t left her since he arrived. She knows what he’s thinking, but she doesn’t have time for his worry. “Please,” because here… here she does not have time to think about anything other than what is happening in front of her, even if her bonded thinks she should face it.

She cannot face it.

But the heron steps closer to the equine and carefully touches his beak to their skin, drawing away a small amount of his aching. Oh, there is so much of it he is nearly overcome; never has he experienced such a flood of agony before, in all the patients he has worked with alongside his bondmate. He draws as much as he can take, perhaps enough to make the man more coherent, less like they are about to lose him any minute, and then with a few flaps of his wings disappears into the canopy to dispose of the negative energy.

Samaira watches him go for a moment, before looking down again, waiting to see if it has helped.

"Speaking."

@Silasthein one doctor and her healing bird at your assistance

[Image: 13481303_KpOIcOG7drxHK9U.png?1556314753]
we'll fulfill our dreams
and we'll be free

Silasthein

The secrets we keep..

Silas had stirred up quite a commotion, he could feel the warmth from bodies swath over him. It almost lulled him to sleep, but he fought it. It wanted to choke him, to stifle his breath, but he had fought dragons more terrifying than this. He heard the cries for a doctor and saw the forest of limbs dissipate for a woman who urged them to give the magician space. Her wings draped at her side, and nearly brushed the wooden planks beneath them. Her face soon came into view, but he couldn’t see all of her. Her words flowed like honey, it was the sound he associated with concern. Silas seemed to be the only one to find humor in such an alarming situation. The woman had called for someone else, but Silas could not see who it was. Silas only laughs when she asks what happened to him, he laughs only because it is such an absurd tale. The words that spill from her mouth to the other stir curiosity in the fading magician. Then, he is not fading. Some of his pain is being pulled out of him, literally. Silas notices the clarity of his vision greatly increase, and he is able to hoist himself back on his feet. He expects the woman to protest, who he can now see is as beautiful as she sounds. The woman looks as though she is a garden and sounds like honey. She smells like summer. Ragged breaths spill from his ivory lips as he peers at her. “I don’t mean to laugh, your question is valid. It’s just so absurd that I’m not sure you’ll believe me -…” His voice trails off, it is interrupted by a sharp gasp as the pain starts to seep through his body.

It takes him a few moments to steady himself, as the waves of pain begin to roll through him again. It is a terrible, crawling, all-consuming thing. “I fell from a portal in the sky into Novus. I landed out in the plains atop rocks, snow and ice. I’ve spilled enough blood on the way here to transfuse an army.” Another laugh escaped his lips, his humor never faded. It was what saved him in the worst of times. Silas felt at least more mobile now, coherent. “I guess it doesn’t matter whether you believe me or not. The fact remains that I fell from a very high distance and collided with the ground. Now blood seeps from my lips. The edges of my vision are blurred and black, and the pain in my left side. I can feel it crawling through me like a terrible creature. I haven’t felt like I was dying in so long. I think you might be my only chance to survive.” The grin on his faced masked the fear he felt. Silas wasn’t a man who was made out of fear. That tiny lizard brain was good at something, one thing really, keeping him alive. 

Silas has not ignored the concern etched on her face, but still, his defense mechanism of humor persists. He is surprised to see the woman cast a glance towards a Heron. Was this Alaunus? The one who she addressed? A smile of wonder and satisfaction crossed his face even as his vision darkened again. Magic was real, and alive in Novus. “What a brilliant creature…” He gasped out as a new wave of pain overtook him. His teeth ground together as he dropped his visage back to peer at the woman with a flower crown. “What do we do. Where do I go?” Silas asked her, his voice still light but there was a serious edge to it now.

Words: 619 | Notes: Ahh I'm sorry for my garbage post Samaira is lovely ;__; | Tags: @Samaira

... The lives we lead

Inactive Character

The man begins to laugh, and Samaira wonders if his pain is so great that he is lost to delirium, or if he thinks himself so close to death that he cannot help but to face it with humor. She can tell when his pain becomes more manageable, however, as the focus returns to his eyes and he begins to stand. “Be careful,” she warns, “My bonded only managed to alleviate the pain you feel, your injuries still exist.”

The doctor waits as the man explains his outburst, and she cannot help but raise a brow in curiosity. “You might be surprised in the things I would believe,” Samaira responds, lowly, looking at him with quiet silver eyes and taking a step closer when he loses his words to the ache. But he seems to steady himself and continues.

And she does believe him, because it is so similar to what happened to her. Of course, she had not impacted with the ground in the way that he had, but she had somehow been magically transported from the sky in Irindor to the ground in Novus. A portal of some sort can really be the only explanation, though she has no idea where it would have come from.

“We should move into one of the exam rooms,” Samaira says, turning toward the hospital’s lifts, “are you stable enough to walk? They are right at the top of this lift.” She is already thinking of everything they will have to do based on what he has explained of is situation. Pain management, possible internal bleeding, the threat of pneumonia as he has no doubt broken ribs.

“Alaunus, meet us in a room when you are finished,” she asks of the young heron over their bond, as she slowly makes her way across the wooden boardwalk, hanging close to the man in case he stumbles or requires support. “Your recovery won’t be short, but I promise we will get you all fixed up.” Across their bond comes a soft sound of confirmation, and she knows Alaunus will be waiting for them when they get into the canopy.

"Speaking."

@Silasthein this isn't super great rip

we'll fulfill our dreams
and we'll be free

Silasthein

The secrets we keep..

Silas listened as best he could given his current condition. The woman cautioned him to be careful when he stood. She explained that her heron could only alleviate the pain, not mend his wounds. Silas had suspected that to be the case, but anything that kept him on his feet long enough to make it to actual safety was a win in his book. The mauve magician still managed a smile despite the waves of pain slowly increasing once more. "If you don't have to drag me anywhere it's probably a good thing. I can't come here for help and make you do all the work now can I?" He joked, it was the only way to keep the fear of death at bay. Silas could feel it in every breath he took, and in every tremble in his bones. He was upon death's door for the first time in many years. She commented on his claim she might not believe him. Silas merely chuckled, and then winced. His lungs were straining to draw each breath, and he decided it might be best to forgo this encounter until later. "Most things don't surprise me anymore. We'll have to share stories later though." He felt his breathing grow a bit more ragged and the fading edges of his vision were returning.

Silas nodded in response to her next statement about moving into an exam room. She asked him if he is stable enough to walk, and he gives her another affirmative nod. "Yes, for how long I do not know." He murmured quietly, and stayed close to her side. The movement of the lift was the most jarring part of his experience other than his collision with the world of Novus. The woman's voice promised him they would fix him up. Silas gave her another short laugh. "I hope so. Then I will dedicate my life to you Terrastellans. Make good on your promise and I will show Terrastella worlds beyond its wildest dreams." He let the words slip past his lips. Silas felt he was losing his grasp on reality only slightly, but he was ready to do whatever it took not to perish because of another instance of his own recklessness.

Notes: Sorry for the giant wait. We can wrap up this thread soon if you want. I'm sorry this isn't the best. You're completely free to power play him at this point if you would like. | Tags: @Samaira

... The lives we lead

Inactive Character

“I’d only be doing my job,” she responds lightly. It certainly wouldn’t be the first time she’s seen the medics and doctors here drag anyone anywhere.

Although Samaira isn’t sure how she ended up on Novus, a portal is really the only thing that makes sense. Where it came from, she doesn’t know. What the pegasus does know is that she’s lucky all she woke up with was an arrow through her wing, and not a plethora of internal injuries. Her entrance could have ended up so much worse, considering she had been plummeting out of the sky when she had passed out.

Once the pair reach the lift and the rooms above, Samaira gets him settled within one. “I look forward to it,” she says, as she carefully preps everything that she needs. Clove oil, ice, suturing materials. Plus something for pain and inflammation, certainly.

She senses Alaunus’ approach before she hears him, and turns just as he enters through the window. “Are you okay to keep going?” the doctor asks him. He bobs his head and steps closer to the injured man. “I need you to check him for internal injuries. If you find any large tears, do what you can to close them,” she looks into her bonded’s bright blue eyes, “Take it slow if you to.”

If there is internal bleeding, any Alaunus can take care of the source, the man’s body will eventually reabsorb any of the blood in his abdomen on its own. She needed to get to work on his visible wounds, in the meantime.

“I know it’s painful, but I need you to try and take slow, deep breaths for me okay?” Samaira explains as she moves closer with ice and clove oil. “If you don’t get nice deep breaths, there’s a risk of pneumonia setting in. We’ll give you something to help with the pain then, however.”

Carefully, she begins applying the oil around the bleeding wounds that she can see. It would penetrate the skin and help numb the tissues underneath. Then she presses the ice packs to his side gently, holding them long enough to numb the surface so that she can clean the areas. Alaunus, in the meantime, has left the room again.

"Speaking."

@Silasthein I think we can finish this next round!

we'll fulfill our dreams
and we'll be free