Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

- To the heavens

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Pan

The scaled boy climbed the mountain, higher and higher into the heavens.  In another world, he had been gifted with flight.  With a bit of pixie dust and a happy thought, he’d been able to soar against the stardust, past the stars and into the great beyond.  There was a certain freedom to flying, one that he had only been able to mirror by swimming in the deepest seas.  But, there was a certain relaxation to his climb as well, and he marched steadily onward – up, up, and up.

He knew that usually, where the was a mountain, there was a wonder to behold from the top.  If he climbed to the top, he knew he’d see from the meadows to the sea.  This new land held many wonders, and the explorer in him had to know what secrets it held, so he pressed on even as his side began to ache from the walking.  Gasping when the air grew thin, he stopped and rested for a bit, digging a browning piece of apple from his satchel and eating it slowly (for he had yet to find a place to restock his stash in this new world… and every bite needed to be savored).  Only once he’d napped for a bit in the bright sunlight did he find his way to the summit.

Pan wasn’t wrong about the view.  To the north, he found a great plain that stretched toward the sea.  To the east, a rocky canyon that fed to a mountain range.  In the south, his gaze rested on the swamp where he’d found the celestial mare, and to the west, his river home.  As he watched the world around him, Pan was lost to all but the quiet click of a breaking twig, and he turns toward the sound to see a brilliant gold and black mare making her way to the peak.  

”Hello…. I’m Pan.”  He smiled at the mare.  ”What is this place?”

Pan
Dawn Court
character © Firefly; html by castlegraphics; image by alexlibby

@Inkheart

Inkheart

Inkheart
JUST LIKE FIRE, BURNING OUT THE WAY
IF I CAN LIGHT THE WORLD UP FOR
JUST ONE DAY WATCH THIS MADNESS
COLORFUL CHARADE NO ONE CAN
BE JUST LIKE ME ANYWAY

Dark wings take her through the night, only the rushing of the wind running over her to create any sound at all. She flies north from Terrastella, perhaps traveling back to Solterra, perhaps not. She hasn't quite made up her mind yet, and such is the beauty of wings that she can choose whatever she likes, whenever she likes. Her dark bodice descends, closing the distance between herself and the land below so that her gold eyes might observe the flora and fauna below.

Another life form catches her attention below, climbing the mountain peak that is a part of the land known as Ruris. She slowed her flight and circled above, watching him ascend from her position above. The dove thought perhaps she would join him, and so she landed somewhere behind him, her trail crossing with his. She lowered her delicate muzzles and nares widened to take in the male scent. Unfamiliar to her, but many were. She tucked her feathered appendages in toward her body and stepped forward, slowly following the trail the lad had left.

He stops, eventually. She follows in silence, taking in his coltish appearance.. his pale coat, green and blue tinted scales decorating various parts of his body. Her silent observation is disturbed when one of her own hooves steps upon a wayward branch, and the cracking alerts the colt to her presence. He doesn't seem frightened, and is not too shy to greet her. She steps out then to where he can better view her.

Her words are soft, silky, enrapturing. For she can be so gentle and kind when the moment calls for it. She tilted her crown as she spoke to him, and the marking upon her chest illuminated the scene. "This is Veneror Peak, dear Pan." She stepped around him, one glimmering wing gesturing the crags in their surroundings. "You have wandered quite a long way, to reach the peak. I am Inkheart." She dipped her crown politely, but as she lifted her head again her gaze was critical, analyzing. The colt may have unwittingly invited a predator into his midst.

@Pan

Pan

This world was one of great mystery and intrigue to the boy, and though his legs were tired, his sense of adventure and the view alone was enough to bolster his spirits once more.  After all, the best things in life were worth the pain of getting there.  Pushing through the burning in his lungs, he drew in the sights around him, knowing instinctively that this was a place of worship… for who else but the gods could devise a place of such splendor.  He’d seen similar shrines before – in Ravos and in Oblivion.  There, he’d been greeted by the sages, and he’d learned quite a lot from Serket, keeper of the temple.  Perhaps this stranger too had lore to share.

“Do you live here?”  He asked innocently, resisting the urge to reach out and touch the lifelike golden bloom at her hip.  ”It’s lovely, really… I can see for miles.  That way is my home… the river - where it meets the sea.”  He motioned to the west, toward the thin blue line that tore across the green from north to the wide blue ocean.  It was a strange thing that Pan already thought of the river as his home, for he hadn’t met anyone there yet… so it wasn’t like they told him he was welcome or could stay… but Pan’s home was always the sea.  In the errant waves and along the rocky shore, he would feel more at home than anywhere else.

“I knew a place like this once.  It was called Mount Corenth – home of the gods.”His green eyes were curious as they met her predatory stare, and they followed her expression evenly – bright and astute.  Pan saw everything, though he didn’t always understand the nuances of micro expressions.  That, and he always thought the best in everyone… so there wasn’t even a worry that Inkheart might bring him harm.  Instead, he already thought of her as a teacher, for if she was in this place, surely she had come for a reason.  Like Pan.  He’d come for answers… but to what, he had only begun to wonder.  

Pan
Dawn Court

@Inkheart

Inkheart

Inkheart
BE JUST LIKE ME ANYWAY

The child seemed so innocent, so full of wonder and.. optimism. They were qualities that Inkheart did not actually look down upon, and in fact, she valued them to a certain extent. Though naïveté was not something she desired in herself or those she had to rely on (though she did not much like relying on anyone), the qualities that the colt possessed were a blueprint for her to lay the foundation of faith and worship. As he tells her of the beautiful scenery around them, and then gestures to his home, she wonders how much she might persuade him, and how easy he might be to manipulate. Not that she wants him for any malevolent purpose, no. Her intentions are always benign and wholesome - unless he proved to be possessed by demonic forces, but that's another matter entirely. Although he obviously did not hail from Solterra, she held limited ill will. She did not hate inhabitants from other courts, but only frowned upon those that worshipped the other gods. Those of the faith may live anywhere, as long as they were of the correct faith.

She does not follow his gaze toward the sea, nor does she comment upon the appearance of the peak. Although it is lovely, she thinks that perhaps much more could be done to make it a worthy shrine. Worship may occur anywhere, and certainly to serve the sun god she would choose to honor him in the land where he would be most at home. But if this is where he believes he should worship - like his Mount Corenth - then they shall do so here. She purses her velvet lips in thought, wondering how best to continue. "And how would you begin your worship, young one? I would choose to worship Solis, the greatest of the gods and giver of life. Tell me, how would you call to the Greatest of the Greats!" The fervor and strength of her voice rise as she speaks, as her lungs fill with air and anticipation. She steps closer to the scaly colt and intends to run her lips over his crest and down his spine, to bring sensation to the ritual, however it may proceed. Inkheart will let him begin and lead the way, with her wisdom and faith to guide him.

Pan

Solis.  He turned the name over in his mind, wondering if he’d heard of such a god.  Deciding that he hadn’t, he offered the black and gold mare a sheepish sort of smile.  ”Do you know him… Solis, that is?  I haven’t heard about him, but I want to know.  What is he the god of?”  Pan knew many gods.  He knew Selke, and No – the gods of the sea.  They were, of course, his favorites.  But he knew also Maaemo, goddess of Earth, and the Moon Goddess of Oblivion.  Wherever they were, Pan knew the gods needed respect, and needed reverence.  He believed in them all, and did his best to bring them honor.  So Solis would be no different.

”The gods ask us for loyalty, and I have lots of that to give.  That, and I like to talk to them, to understand them… I want to learn about them, and to share with them.”  At the mention of his treasures, Pan dropped his leather satchel to the ground, rifling through to pull out a few of his prized possessions.  His lips passed over pirate gold, bits of broken sea glass, long thin eagle feathers, and various rocks and pebbles.  Settling on a perfectly round sphere of quartz and a slipper pink cockle shell, he nudged one toward Inkheart.  ”You can give him some of mine, since you must have left your bag at home.  The gods like gifts… who doesn’t, really.”

It was amusing how matter of factly Pan offered his suggestions, when in reality, he had no idea what this strange god wanted, or what he had that was worthy to give.  Perhaps the god of day would find him a worthy vessel to do his bidding.  Pan was always game for a quest, an adventure, or a task.  Looking back at his companion, he wondered aloud.  ”What does Solis like?  Maybe we should ask?...”  But before she could respond, he began to whisper to the hidden god.  ”Solis… it’s me, Pan.  And Inkheart.  Are you there?”

Pan
Dawn Court

@Inkheart, @Solis

Inkheart

Inkheart
BE JUST LIKE ME ANYWAY

Inkheart's smile was almost sickeningly sweet as she encouraged the colt. His eagerness was just what she liked - moldable minds ready for brainwashing. Or.. perhaps you could call it gentle encouragement. When Pan asks his questions her smile becomes a little more honest as her mind focuses on her the one thing she really cares about. "Solis is the God of the Day, the Sun. He keeps the sun bright and beautiful, bringing light and life to the world." What surprises her as the boy continues, is that he is genuinely interested in the Gods. Of course she really only likes Solis, and would give her all for him. But the boy's honesty and dedication impress her, though she's not willing to say so. A previously unnoticed satchel drops to the ground, the pale colt's nose rifling through it a moment later. Gifts for the Gods? She supposes that would be a good idea, and that they might enjoy gifts from the mere mortals. But she had always considered her deeds more worthy of praise than inanimate objects. Her service was what put her above the others. She was more than words, more than gifts.

But, for now, gifts aren't a bad idea, and she encourages him with a small nicker. He comments on her lack of gifts to give, and although she frowns, she says nothing. His joy makes her bite her tongue. Better to not dissuade him of his beliefs, better to channel his enthusiasm toward Solis. She chooses the sphere of quartz, nosing it closer to her own dark hooves. Little Pan asks what the god Solis would like. "He likes the proud, the brave, those whose loyalty is beyond the meek sheep. He wants the wolves in us, to bow before him and do his bidding. He likes his best followers to be willing to die for him, to do whatever it takes, and to spread his message." Her chest puffs out as she speaks, getting more excited as she speaks of him.

When the scaled colt speaks to Solis, she wonders if Solis will appear to answer. He had never answered her summons before, in all her days of worship. But perhaps on this peak, with this boy. It would be different. That being said, she did not get her hopes up. Certainly she did not expect any grand voice to boom down to them. "Solis. We offer these gifts to you, and pledge ourselves to your service and good graces." She bowed her crown and closed her golden eyes to honor the great Sun God.

WC: 431 Tag: @Pan

Pan

Pan liked the day.  He liked the warmth of the sun, the whisper of the summer breeze against his mane, the sound of birds in the air.  So if Solis was god of the sun and day, he was certainly the type of deity Pan could get behind.  Grinning as she tells him more about the stallion, he settled himself onto a nearby mossy rock, curling his legs underneath him to listen closer, eyes bright and wide with curiosity.  ”What’s he look like?  Is he gold like the sun?  You’re gold too… maybe he looks kinda like you?”  It was definitely a possibility.  Looking at his own green scales, he had to wonder if he was related to the beasts of the sea.  After all, he preferred the water to the land, and… well… scales.

”I’m brave, loyal too… I’m a knight of Eirhelm.  Commander Shepard entrusted me to defend the honor of our home, and since this is my home now, I’ll defend it here too.  Maybe Solis will have a job for me to do… I can do his bidding!”  He quite disliked the idea of dying for any reason though, even for a cause.  Pan loved life, and more than anything, he wanted to live.  His life was worth more to him than anything else, so even the thought of dying had a lump rising in his throat.  Rather than betray his worry though, he simply smoothed it over, looking around to see of Solis would appear.

”I don’t know if he’s coming…” he says after a several minutes, stepping down from the rock as he paced back and forth, impatiently waiting for the sun god to show his face.  Discouraged, he rummaged in his bag, drawing out yet another gift – one of his sacred apples.  This one had a few bites out of it, but it was mostly still good, and his most prized possessions.  Thinking that perhaps the apple would be enticing enough for the god to show, he set it atop the mossy rock, standing back a few paces and staring expectantly at the bright yellow sun, high in an azure sky.

Pan
Dawn Court

@Inkheart

Inkheart

Inkheart
BE JUST LIKE ME ANYWAY

Although she had never seen the sun god in person, up close and ... intimate, her faith prevents her from being dissuaded of either his existence or his glory. Although her original belief had been pure and wholesome, over time it had become an obsession that crossed the line into fanatical, and sometimes even violent. She had become characterized characterized by the obstinate belief that there was the one, true way, and anything else was heresy. Still, through Pan's optimism and curiosity, she stayed in the light, appearing and behaving as a good-spirited citizen ought to. His genuine nature kept her connected.

"I have never seen Solis myself." Admitting this is hard for her, and shame and bitterness taint her words. "Legends tell that he is golden like the sun, and upon his chest is a glowing marking like I have." She gestures at the circular disc that is upon her chest with inky feathers. She'd had it from birth but never appreciated it until coming to Novus. Of course Pan's suggestion that Solis may resemble her (instead of the other way around) inflated her ego, and certainly she puffed up like a balloon with pride (even as she knew that this idea was preposterous). Pan's willingness to do the bidding of Solis puts her over the edge, and she resolutely decides she likes him and - despite his clear inclination to be near the sea rather than the desert - she will keep him under her wing.

His disappointment at the lack of appearance by Solis is palpable, and it's like a crack on her shell, for she too wants to be bathed in the light of the god. His attempt to lure the deity further is endearing. "I do not believe he will appear to us, for he is a God and we but his servants. Under only extreme circumstances do I believe he will come." She bows her crown to the young scaled man. "Your efforts are delightful and Solis shall shine his good will down upon you. As for service, I am sure that you may continue to spread the good word of the Sun God to those around you." And so the proselytizing truly begins. "Enlighten your brothers, sisters. Remind them of what Solis provides for them. Serve, protect, love. Praise him always for your good fortune! Solis, above all others." With these last words she tosses her great wings out and upwards, the pendant upon her neck jingling softly from the motion. The sun dazzles from behind the feathers and even with her blackened body she is the glory that she promises. Gently and so slowly, softly, she lets her wings descend, and her gold orbs soften to look with care upon the gentleman. "Keep the faith, Pan, and you will be rewarded." Without another word she lifts the appendages once more, turning to canter off and with a few strong sweeps she is airborne, and setting off into the horizon.

Tag: @Pan
OOC: Whew! Sorry that took so long. Felt good tho :) she's convinced Pan is her disciple now

Played by Offline inkbone [PM] Posts: 73 — Threads: 1
Signos: 25,195
Owner Administrator

Staff note: LAUREN and FIREFLY redeemed signos for completing the thread and threading with each other for the first time.

the novus crew

the someday crew