Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - shopping and shipping

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 40 — Threads: 5
Signos: 5
Dusk Court Citizen
Male [He/Him/His]  |  11 [Year 499 Winter]  |  12.1 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 19  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

I thought that I heard you laughing

“... If Marisol knew we were doing this-”

’Marisol doesn’t even know we’re here, Ard. We’ll be fine, okay? Besides, what if we find Moira? Don’t you want to see her again? I know I do. I miss her so much.’

Ard frowned, feeling grumpy and pissed and in danger. Did Marisol know where they were? No. Did Theodosia, for that matter? Definitely not. Did they sneak away from their warm, safe, perfect home in Terrastella to come to the famous (or infamous, depending on who you asked) markets of Denocte? Yes. Were they going to get punished and probably suspended when they returned home? Definitely yes.

And yet… Here they were, perusing the vendor stalls of the Night Markets.

It had started when Ard had gone to open his palette of paints only to find that they were out. He had checked the storage drawers in their small home and came up empty. Out. He was all out of paints. How the hell was he out of paints? When did that happen? A quick peruse around Terrastella proper had left them empty handed; no one was selling paints.

Well, that wasn’t entirely true, but Ard wouldn’t spend a single coin on the ‘cheap stuff’, not when he had grown accustomed to using only the finest of paints and dyes upon his canvases.

And much to his chagrin and growing irritation, he had also been out of charcoal for his sketching. Who ran out of charcoal? How? Sensing his twin’s irritation, Erd had offered his uncouth suggestion;

’What about the markets in Denocte? They always have paints and charcoals. We can go now and pick some up!’ Denocte. Denocte. Ard hated it. The few times that he had actually stepped foot in the Night Court had been willing, somewhat, but he had hated it every single time. He did not like the gypsies and dancers that plagued the streets, the heady stench of incense that floated along woodsmoke and musk, the loud voices and booming songs that echoed down the streets. They were a motley bunch, those of Denocte, and he wouldn’t trust them any further than he could throw them… Which, given his stature compared to practically everyone else in Novus, that wasn’t very far.

Regardless, somehow, someway, Erd had convinced him to go to Denocte and check their stupid markets for some paint and charcoal, and there they were. Reluctantly he would admit, though not out loud, that there were a vast assortment of artistic goods and supplies that he could readily take advantage of. Already his pockets and the satchel around his shoulders were filled with purchased supplies, the leather held close to his narrow breast to keep safe from Denocte’s sticky fingers. Side by side with his twin brother, Ard and Erd strolled the streets of the market, letting the songs and instrumental pieces play around their ears as their eyes searched for supplies to take home.

“Speaking.”
credits

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 45 — Threads: 5
Signos: 15
Dusk Court Citizen
Male [He/Him/His]  |  11 [Year 499 Winter]  |  12.1 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 20  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

I thought that I heard you sing

Okay, so maybe not telling anyone they were going on a bit of a trip was a bad idea, but Erd had been feeling terribly stifled since going home and when Ard had run out of paints and charcoals, it seemed like the perfect opportunity for an outing.

Did he feel a bit of apprehension about returning to Denocte after his kidnapping? Well, yeah, but strangely enough the event hadn’t left a bad taste in his mouth about the Court. The actions of the few could not symbolize the intent of the many, and after waking in the Scarab and getting to know August and Aghavni a bit better, he really didn’t find them that bad of individuals. Manon, though? Hm.

She was an enigma, honestly. Erd found himself disliking her only because she had lied and had stolen him away from his brother, but she’d had a reason for it, right? What was that reason? If she had needed something from him, why hadn’t she just asked him? Why the need for secrecy and mystery and deceit when Erd would have been completely and utterly honest with her? The thought had troubled him since the night of his kidnapping, but right now, they weren’t here to find those answers. No, they were walking the streets of the Night Court Markets to find his brother some paints, some sticks of charcoal, and some supplies for his artistic heart.

So far they had found quite a bit; bright paints of various colors and shades, sticks of charcoal with different density and consistency, even a few small canvases that they could tuck into their borrowed satchels to take home. Their coffers were definitely lighter by the time they were wrapping up their shopping trip, but oddly enough, Erd found he didn’t want to leave right away. There was still so much to see or do in this place of perpetual festivity, so why rush to leave?

“Come on,” he murmured, tugging Ard along after him with a bright, jovial grin, the firelight of a nearby bonfire dancing in his turquoise eyes, “Let’s see if we can’t find something pretty to take home to Mari or Theo!”

“Speaking.”
credits

The twins are doing a bit of shopping! Anyone is welcome to join! <3

Played by Offline Rae [PM] Posts: 118 — Threads: 19
Signos: 20
Inactive Character

I knew well how to thread my way through the markets. Crowds had a certain rhythm, a movement that could be intuited if you spent enough time watching carefully. It gave me a sense of elation to cut through the throng of bodies. I swayed, swerved, ducked, a frenetic dance. It was exhilarating. Furfur was hot on my heels, nipping and growling, bristled with an energy that was not entirely playful.

I don’t remember who started it. The game, the fight, whatever it was; we were just kids, and tension was high, and as much love as there was in our bond, we also drove each other crazy sometimes.

(Oh! I remember now how it all started. I had maybe… probably... pushed him into the lake.)

Running into the small winged man was a miscalculation on my part. I saw him a split second too late as he stepped from a side stall into the main courseway. “Watch out!” I don’t know why I bothered, it was a waste of breath. I veered to my left but not quite fast enough; my shoulder clipped his roughly, and with legs flying I slipped to a clumsy stop on the cobbled ground. Furfur smooshed face-first into my hindquarters, and despite my discomfort it took all my effort not to throw my head back and laugh at this.

Sides sweaty and heaving, I came to my feet. “You alright, buddy?” I asked the wraith wolf, who glowered at me but nodded briskly. I turned my attention to the man I had clipped. “Hey, sorry about that. Are you okay?” I glanced behind the man, to where his mirror image stood staring at me.

Oh! I have a twin too.” It would have been perceptible, the way I brightened. “Her name is Avesta.

a s p a r a

@Ard @Erd

Played by Offline Zombie [PM] Posts: 25 — Threads: 3
Signos: 275
Inactive Character

It had taken a long time for Kibou to grow accustomed to the hustle and bustle of the markets and for his mother to even allow him to venture down there on his own. But Kibou was a year old now. In fact, today was his birthday. He had hoped to awaken to a five course breakfast of his favorite foods and a warm embrace by his mother, but Katniss had left early. His mother had left without even saying good morning to the birthday boy and it had hurt Kibou in a way he had not realized.

Saki, the vervet monkey perched on Kibou’s withers, had assured him that today was hard on his mother, but that she loved him very much. Today was a terrible remembrance of the birth of her son without the support of his father. It was a reminder to Katniss that she was very much alone. Kibou tried to understand what Saki was saying, but he just was too young to understand. He simply didn’t understand just how much his mother loved his father and just how much pain his mother went through when he died.

Kibou had entered the markets that morning in a bit of a sour mood. He was upset his mother had not been there to wish him a happy birthday. Saki tried her best to make him smile, but there was only so much a caramel apple and some hot cocoa could do.

As he meandered the streets, he looked through the stalls of the venders, looking for something he could buy himself as a birthday gift. It was a rarity that he actually bought things that he could not eat, but today seemed like a pretty good occasion.

But as as he looked for the perfect birthday gift for himself, he heard a commotion just ahead. He paused his browsing and turned to look at Aspara as she nearly collided with an individual he did not recognize. He slowly began to lope forward, coming to make sure his friend (or he hoped she was his friend) was okay. “Are you guys okay?” His voice was soft and tender, a little unsure if he was welcome to join them. In the end, he didn’t care. He needed to make sure that everyone as alright.

It was then that he realized the strangers were nearly exact images of one another. Twins, he had to guess. Now he really felt out of place. Aspara was a twin, they were twins, and here he was…a lonely singleton colt on his birthday.

@Erd @Ard @Aspara

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 45 — Threads: 5
Signos: 15
Dusk Court Citizen
Male [He/Him/His]  |  11 [Year 499 Winter]  |  12.1 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 20  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

I thought that I heard you sing

Ard always said he needed to learn to watch where he was going, that one of these days he’d run face-first into someone or something. Did he take that advice? Not really, but not because he refused to, more like that he just forgot to. Ard also always said he shouldn’t be so kind and trusting to strangers, and usually Erd would just laugh and shrug him off saying that everything would be fine, but he had also gotten kidnapped from his home in Terrastella and stolen away to Denocte for some time, so. Maybe he should start listening to his brother more, or at least exercising a little bit of caution.

Regardless, as he stepped back out away from the vendor they had been browsing goods at, the sudden shout of ’Watch out!’ gave him absolutely no time to react or, as the stranger had claimed, to ‘watch out’. The force of the collision knocked Erd back a few steps and nearly off of his feet, his thin legs flailing and hooves scrabbling for purchase and stability as he was suddenly knocked off balance. White-feathered wings spread out to try and help catch himself, and luckily he didn’t go careening into the stall vendor or get knocked down, but almost immediately Ard was standing over him with a look of blatant panic and dread written on his face.

Erd laughed softly and shook his head, letting his wings fold back at his side as he straightened up and gave himself a full-body shake. He pressed himself against Ard’s terrified side and placed a chaste kiss on his twin’s cheek before focusing on the stranger that ran right into him, concern growing in his breast until he saw that she was very much okay and unharmed, other than sweaty from some sort of mad dash she had been attempting through the bustling markets.

The pale colored youth, for she could be nothing but, straightened as well and seemed all too humored by the situation, the canine creature on her heels practically running into her rump. It was a wreck through and through, and Erd found himself chuckling beneath his breath at the humor of it all.

He grinned, broad and boyish, pressing himself a little closer to Ard. “Ah, no apologies needed! Are you two okay? I’m sorry, I should’ve watched where I was going. I hope I didn’t hurt either of you?”

Then, a sudden shift, a youthful attention snagged as the girl’s rich blue eyes widened at spotting Ard. A twin herself, she claimed to be, but a quick glance around told Erd that her supposed sister was nowhere around to be seen. At least not yet.

Before he could formulate some sort of reply to that, another youth happened by, this one with a coat of rich sorrel. This lad seemed young but incredibly thoughtful, picking his way through the crowd to make sure they were alright. Erd flushed a little, embarrassed that they accidentally made a scene amidst a place so busy and populated.

“Oh, I think we’re fine. No harm done, right?” His warm, jovial smile remained, posture loosening where he stood next to his younger twin. Eyes darting from each youth and the canine companion, he went on, all merry smiles and good cheer. “My name’s Erd, this is my brother Ard. He doesn’t talk, but that’s okay because I talk enough for the both of us. What’re your names? … And do either of you happen to know a good vendor for buying paints or charcoals?”

“Speaking.”
credits

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 40 — Threads: 5
Signos: 5
Dusk Court Citizen
Male [He/Him/His]  |  11 [Year 499 Winter]  |  12.1 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 19  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

I thought that I heard you laughing

He hadn’t wanted to come here.

Ard had been terrified that something would happen, that the members of the Scarab would see Erd and promptly snatch him away again, or that something else might happen to his twin. He was a bundle of anxiety, dread, and fear, each breath a great puff of air that escaped his nostrils as his ears constantly twisted and turned trying to make out the barrage of talking, laughter, singing, and so on around them.

This place was too loud. He had never liked it, and it felt too much like offering his brother up on a silver platter for the people who stole him away to do it again.

They wouldn’t. He wouldn’t let it happen. He would keep his brother safe…

… And then Erd steps away from the stall vendor with a polite farewell to the shopkeeper and immediately gets run into by a youth and her companion.

Ard feels his stomach drop with terror, a shout rising its way into his throat without means to escape. Turquoise eyes are wide as Erd and the youth struggle to catch themselves but his eyes are only for his brother, and he rushes to his twin’s side and begins to examine him with fretful glances and gentle touches even as Erd lets out an amused laughter.

The older twin straightens and presses a gentle kiss to Ard’s cheek and he swallows hard, not convinced, terrified that something had already happened and they had hardly been there, they needed to go home--

But then Erd is speaking, talking gently, pressing up against him so that their wings are touching and the rising blind panic begins to ebb and fade, his racing heartbeat beginning to calm down to appropriate, normal levels. Erd is fine. He’s fine, it was an accident, and Ard does not need to tear apart an innocent child.

The younger warlock’s eyes remain rooted on the pale colored youth, listening to her every word from his mute, stationary position next to his brother. Silence was his ally here. Even in the face of children he didn’t wish to speak, even less so when another young colt joined them, clearly having witnessed the collision. They were fine, though. ‘They’ meaning he and Erd, of course.

Nothing else mattered, not right now, child or not.

“Speaking.”
credits

@Aspara @Kibou <3 <3

Played by Offline Rae [PM] Posts: 118 — Threads: 19
Signos: 20
Inactive Character

I was terribly jealous to see how one brother doted on the other. I didn’t want such attention, and I certainly didn’t need it, but… the option to have it would have been nice. I was notoriously clumsy, always stumbling over rugs and roots or bumping my elbows on walls and tables, and I missed the way my sister would glare witheringly at whatever object tripped or scraped me. I knew exactly what it felt like to have someone always watching your back, and exactly what it felt like when that security blanket was ripped away.

So I was very distinctly aware of the way the two brothers touched feathers, and how there was a universe of comfort in that brief gesture. Longing rolled over me like a wave of water; Furfur dropped his annoyance and came to stand beside me, pressed against my leg.

Then Kibou arrived. I almost didn’t recognize him at first. We didn’t see each other often, and we were in that age where we were shooting up quick and tall as weeds. I hardly recognized myself, some days. But I had always been skeptical, borderline distrustful, of mirrors, still water, and other reflective surfaces.

Oh, hey Kibou.” My smile softened just so. I considered him a friend, although not a particularly close one. Katniss kept him locked away, and I know she was only trying to protect him but it meant I didn’t see him as much as I’d like. I glanced past him, expecting to see his mother fretfully watching over him, but she was not in sight.

When my gaze drifted back to Kibou, I realized he seemed a little different. A little glum. I frowned. “What’s up with you?” I felt a sudden urge to shuffle over and bump his shoulder playfully, but I did not act on this inclination. I felt too awkward; we weren’t that close of friends.

Before I could dwell too much on what I did or did not do and say, the twin was speaking again, introducing himself and his brother and asking about art supplies. “I’m Aspara,” I said with a quick nod of my head. “I buy ink from the old roan next to the baker. You’ll want to go straight, take a right after the red building, left when the street turns to moonstone, then…" I paused to consider. It wasn't that far, and I didn't exactly have anything else to do at that moment. "You know what, we’ll just show you where to go. It's easier that way.” At the mention of "we" I glanced to Kibou with my sweetest smile, knowing he wouldn’t have the heart to deny me.

a s p a r a

@Kibou @Ard @Erd