Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - The last of spring's goodbye

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Darkrise [PM] Posts: 13 — Threads: 2
Signos: 115
Inactive Character

In the early hours of the morning, the sun barely cresting the dessert that stretched out around the City, the Day Court was in full motion. Novus was well and truly in the grip of Summer’s burning kiss, for even as the sun lazily bathed the horizon in red the air was beginning to warm.

Helios’ destination lay at the far end of the bustling court, through busy markets and lively streets. Solterra’s citizens knew to wake before the sun, before braving the burning summer became too difficult. Though the Black Sun’s eyes roved the buildings and shadows, searching endlessly for threats and disturbances, he rather enjoyed the little strolls each morning. Since the Teryr attack Helios had made sure to patrol more often, to stand atop the high walls and watch the endless sea of sand and the bright horizon for winged forms. And of course more often to the practiced stallion meant every single morning.

And so he wandered unhurried but purposefully through the market stalls, weaving around vendors, purchasers, those going to work themselves and those simply enjoying the cool of the early morning. By this point his face was a little of a familiar site and he nodded at those who recognised him, serious but respectful as his spear was clasped to his side.

It does not take Helios long to reach the steps at the base of the wall in the far east corner, to climb the well-worn, narrow, sandstone blocks with familiar ease as he presses tightly to the shadow the towering amber wall.

As always, the desert plateaus before his eyes, endless mountains of sand leading to the Elatus Canyon and the Mors desert in the other. Giving a tight nod to the guards on duty, the soldier took up a post and stared wordlessly out at his home, keen eyes narrowed and searching.

Once upon a time I swore I had a heart
Long before the world I know tore it all apart
CREDITS

@Orestes <3

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Orestes

BECAUSE I PROMISE I'LL LIGHT THE BEACONS
OF YOUR DIMMED AND HOLLOW SOUL
EVEN IF I HAVE TO STEAL THE FIRE
FROM A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS

Ariel rests upon the parapet above Solterra’s entrance gates; and he rests there so stilly, so quietly, that he appears more akin to a sandstone gargoyle than a living lion. The morning breeze rustles the fine, fine hairs of his golden mane; it blows across his face and brings with it the scents of a waking desert, wet with dew soon to burn off. He listens with flicking ears to the movement of the guards upon the ramparts; to the waking of the Court’s market; to the birds beyond in the arid desert, marked with yuccas and desert grass. Beyond, he can see the start of the dunes, the rolling hills of sand, and nearly longs to return to them. 

Yet, Ariel is familiar with the clockwork routines of his king; and so he rises from the uppermost echelon of Solterra’s wall, to leap elegantly down to the soldier’s walkway below. The guards are familiar with his routine and so expect the large feline when he slinks nonchalantly passed. 

Orestes meets Ariel at the eastern parapet and they begin to walk the soldier’s route around the city’s battlements; as they walk, Ariel recounts his observations from the city’s uppermost reach. “The guards, of course, were on time for their morning posts. This morning was more humid than typical, so perhaps there’s a summer storm on the horizon? Or, more likely, today will be hotter than yesterday. Your Triskevma, Helios, has taken an extra shift of guard duty—he has been doing that regularly since the Teryr had appeared in the city.” 

Orestes nods and reroutes their direction; it does not take long to circle, nodding at soldier’s as the royal pair passes by. Eventually, Orestes catches sight of Helios’s striking form. He smiles broadly when he says, “Helios. Join me for a walk?" Orestes does not pursue further conversation for several long moments; instead, he joins Helios in a patrol around the city's wall. He looks out toward the desert beyond, appreciating Solterra's position as a center-piece to the desert. From here, Orestes's can see the Mors, Elatus, and the sea. The desert shifts and deceives; it suggests nearness when he knows, quite intimately, the true distance of the geographic features of his land.

It strikes Orestes, then, that he has begun to think of it as his land. And he has thought of it as such, for quite some time. Orestes glances at Helios and, like the geographic scape below, feels a type of ownership. His heart throbs within him, for the injustices Helios had experienced. The scars the man bears are not so apparent; but Orestes knows they are there. "How are you finding yourself, Helios? Well, I hope? Ariel tells me you have been taking additional shifts atop the wall, since the Teryr attack." 

The lion strides out ahead of them; some moments he leaps upon the edge of the wall to walk with ease upon it, despite the five-story plummet to the ground below. 
Illustration by foggolgard@deviantart

Played by Offline Darkrise [PM] Posts: 13 — Threads: 2
Signos: 115
Inactive Character

Helios had learnt since the golden man’s ascension to the throne, that it was not uncommon to find him and his maned companion upon the parapets themselves. At first it had taken some getting used to- seeing the pale lion wandering the walls- but he had slowly stopped that defensive instinct upon seeing the predator and had become used to the King’s companion’s presence in the City. The russet steed couldn’t deny Ariel’s majesty and often wondered what it would be like to charge into battle with such a fearsome creature by his side. One day, maybe, he’d have a companion of his own.

Alert as he is, Helios spots the palomino form of his King along with the giant feline before Orestes’ voice breaks the quiet of the summer morning. With a respectful bow of his head the Black Sun greets the marked steed and his bonded. “King Orestes.” The stallion dips his head a second time at the Sovereign’s request and follows the steed, content with the silence even if his mind searches for something to say. During Zolin’s reign and indeed those of the Sovereign’s that followed him, Helios had been but a cog in their machine, a faceless soldier. And that was how it should be- he was a servant of the realm, not someone to meet with its leader. But since Orestes had assumed the throne, Helios had found himself approached by the King more than once.

He had been sceptical about his Triskema suggestion at first, yet the solider found himself leaping at the chance to be something more. His experience gave him a unique perspective on Soltera, beyond that of a nobleman or courtier and the stallion had been, and still was, intent upon using that experience to serve his home. Yet consulting his Sovereign, chatting with the King as though he were a comrade rather than his ruler was something the fox-pelted man still had not gotten used to.

“I am fine, thank you Sir. Since the Teryr attack I thought it pertinent to increase patrol in case there is another threat.” Formality laced Helios’ every word, delivered in a serious though respectful tone as he dared little more than a quick, respectful glance to the golden stallion beside him. Beneath Zolin’s reign he had been taught to treat the leader of Soltera with reverence, as though he were but one seat below Solis himself. It was something the Pegasus could not unlearn. Yet his mind whirled, despite the stoicism of his appearance. Should he ask Orestes how he was fairing after the attack? “You…fought well during the attack, your Majesty,” he finally offered, perhaps a little more formerly and awkwardly than he’d intended.

Once upon a time I swore I had a heart
Long before the world I know tore it all apart
CREDITS

@Orestes <3