Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - To and Fro

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline theAfanc [PM] Posts: 7 — Threads: 1
Signos: 640
Inactive Character

Peacock Feathers-Free Stock Image

The sun had just started to peek over the horizon and the first sounds of birdsong fluttered through the wind.  Radek had found a nice tree to sleep under for a few hours before continuing his journey.  Typically the stallion did not travel alone but the companions he'd had with him the last few days had other arrangements.  It had been tough to part ways the night before; Radek was so rarely on his own he didn't know who would get to hear his angelic voice.  The world would be deprived until he found another traveling companion.

He had no particular destination.  He had been home just a few days previously and had seen his father and mother well.  His sister was off doing her thing and hadn't been home in many weeks.  He was thinking perhaps of heading to the Dawn Court but figured he would just let his hooves travel where the stories were and see what and who he could find.  

As he stretched his neck and flipped his head, he blinked the sleep from his eyes.  Watching the sunrise was always his favorite part of the day and he greeted Solis with a whinny.  A few birds chimed in to herald the new day.  It took a few steps to shake out the drowsiness but within minutes he was trotting along at a leisurely pace, watching out for the world around him.  The planes stretched out far, meaning food was in good supply and he should be able to see anyone coming from a long way off.

[[Great Tempus help me that was such a bad first post on the site I am sorry :( ]] @OPEN

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Willfur

Willfur

A call sounds from startlingly nearby, just off to his left, and raises the big stallions head. He'd been napping, lying flat out beneath the warm glow of the rising sun and cushioned by a patch of dense wheat, their tall stalks acting like a natural privacy screen. Even after rolling onto his sternum only the tips of his massive ears clear the tops of the stems around him, their russet edges blending in with the deep, earthy colors of Fall.

It's probably about time he got up anyway.

With a groan, he unfolds his legs, stretching and shaking any loose hair from his coat as he straightens. He might have yawned or blinked away the weight of unconsciousness too, but immediately a pop of color draws his attention, something decidedly not the muted browns or reds of Autumn. "Oh! Hello!"

He can't help but stare - a little, at least - at the strangers brightly fringed, iridescent feathers, so similar to a type of exotic pheasant he'd once seen described in a text on Asiatic birds. "You're very well dressed today, aren't you?" Smiling, he hopes to mitigate with jovial humor any offense his sudden appearance and lack of propriety might have caused. "I've never been much of a looker myself, but I feel especially outclassed in comparison to you. All I've got are big ears and a bell!"

With a chuckle, he wags his short tail back and forth, making the silver bell tied there ring out a sweet, tinkling melody. 

@Radek
Don't apologize! I like your writing. <3

Inactive Character

Radek was what one might call a high-stepper.  His hooves made it almost to chest level when he walked, a prance, if you will.  One would assume he only did it when someone was watching but in his eyes, anyone could be watching at any moment.  And he must always be ready to impress.

"Oh! Hello!"  Radek's head turned around on a swivel, looking for the body that accompanied the voice.  What he found was a rather...unimpressive horse.  If it could even be called that.  Basic browns, large ears, a short tail.  Of course, he was used to nearly every creature he came across being less extravagant and flaunting as he was but this was...hard to look at.  And yet, he found it hard to tear his eyes away.  "You're very well dressed today, aren't you?"  Luckily the other's voice brought him back down to Novus.  "I've never been much of a looker myself, but I feel especially outclassed in comparison to you. All I've got are big ears and a bell!"

He chuckled slightly and flashed a toothy grin, bringing forth the drama he was known for.  "Why yes, I am quite happy you noticed."  He tossed his head, causing his mane and feathers to fall to the other side of his neck, gracefully and as if his hair was enchanted never to fall out of place.  "I believe all creatures have beauty in their own way.  Yours might not be...external" he blinked quickly a few times as he paused ever so briefly "...but I am sure your heart is full of beauty.  And I quite like your bell.  Perhaps a nice musical piece would help announce my entrances more audibly.  Of course, once you see me there is no mistaking who I am, but It might be nice for those poor souls who cannot see or for whom I am too far away to know when I am near."

He had verbally stumbled for only a moment but as a storyteller, it was his job to think on his hooves and speak without hesitation, even in the face of uncertainty. He had been bested today by this stranger and he chided himself mentally, vowing to learn from this moment and not be caught off guard by such a plain type of creature again.

[[WILLFUR IS SO CUTE I LOVE BIG EARS]] || @Willfur

Willfur

Willfur

He can't help but smile at the apparent manifestation of stereotype, wondering if the little stallion had always been vain and self-important, traits that surfaced coincidentally but organically in him, or if his physical features and the assumptions of his peers had artificially impacted his early development. It's paradox made flesh, nature vs nurture, the chicken or the egg, and absolutely fascinating. Still, for all his theatrics, the feathered stallion doesn't come across as convincingly malevolent, more like petty and a little nonsensical, like a spoiled but well-meaning child.

Willfur instantly takes a liking to him.

"Well, I try to do more good than harm, at least. But, hmm, something to herald you..." He thinks a moment, ears swinging out to either side of his massive, blocky head. "Perhaps if you made friends with a song bird? Or commissioned some bells or chimes of your own! A skilled blacksmith could make them with as much filigree and decoration as you want. Something of gold and jewels maybe, much fancier than my tarnished silver." Shifting to rest his hips more comfortably starts another gentle refrain of tinkling, jinging sound. "These are mostly sentimental, so I don't mind them being plain, but I imagine something brighter might suit you, uhm, what did you say your name was?"

He's quick to continue, anxious to head off any possible offense before it's taken. "I'm Willfur, and pleased to meet you! I'm still pretty new around here, but I'm really enjoying just wandering at my own pace and seeing what there is to see. New places, new faces..." In other circumstances he might have worried about coming across as too wordy or intrusive, but something very on-the-nose about present company tells him the little stallion would relish any chance to talk about himself. "Which Court are you from?"

@Radek

Inactive Character

"Well, I try to do more good than harm, at least. But, hmm, something to herald you... Perhaps if you made friends with a song bird? Or commissioned some bells or chimes of your own! A skilled blacksmith could make them with as much filigree and decoration as you want. Something of gold and jewels maybe, much fancier than my tarnished silver."  Radek lifted his head and an ear twitch back.  "Friends with a songbird, you say?  Well, arn't you a smart one!  But a bird perhaps would not know when to stop singing.  But procuring a season artisan to craft a piece as unique as I am - now that is truley an intelligent suggestion.  Yes, that was quite the idea.  Something that would stand out among his natural vibrance but not so much so that it drew too much attention from his face, where the attention belonged.  

"These are mostly sentimental, so I don't mind them being plain, but I imagine something brighter might suit you, uhm, what did you say your name was?"  Radek's jaw dropped and he flicked his head back in shock.  How should anyone need to ask who he was?  Almost outraged he stomped his foot and opened his mouth to speak when the plain horse started again.  "I'm Willfur, and pleased to meet you! I'm still pretty new around here, but I'm really enjoying just wandering at my own pace and seeing what there is to see. New places, new faces..."  He blew the air he'd inhaled out his nose in an exasperated sigh of relief.  He was new here.  Yes, that makes sense.  A traveler from a distant land who had not heard of the notorious family.  

I am Radek the Radiant, Storyteller to Sovereigns and the suffering alike.  No being is denied my tales and my voice when they need it most.  I have traveled far and wide, gathering the memoirs of the valiant and the brave and retelling them to all who need know that the world still has heroes."  It should go without saying that upon saying his own name his chest puffed out and his head raised taller.  Despite Willfur standing almost two hands taller, it seemed Radek was determined to hold his head higher than the brown jack.  "Which Court are you from?"I hail from Solterra, the Day Court is my home and Solis hears my prayers.  Of course, am rarely home, as my appointment keeps my traveling through most of my days."  He paused and, almost as an afterthaught.  "And where do you hailf from, friend Willfur?"

[[---]] || @Willfur

Willfur

Willfur

Willfur's long, long ears perk up beneath the praise, his thick neck arching in pleasant surprise. He hadn't imagined the flashy little stallion would be as generous as he was covetous of kind words, especially after his initial, more stereotypical back-handedness, but his words now feel genuine, and, well, it does feel good to have ones best qualities recognized, or at least the ones that are held in highest personal regard. That, at least, they could both agree on.

"You're a bard!" He exclaims, all thoughts of vanity extinguished. Bards have been a source of joy and admiration in him all the way back to the mule's earliest memories, their songs and stories and the way they so often seamlessly and skillfully combine the two the very foundation of his wanderlust. "I would be honored to trade a few stories with you sometime, Radek, maybe during a winter respite, or - " Excitement swells in his chest, possibilities crowding his mind and pushing him on in a rush of words and enthusiasm. "Maybe on a tour of your Court? I wouldn't mind a trek through the desert these days, with frost already threatening the morning dew. I'm no songbird myself, quite the opposite, really. Have you ever heard a mule try to sing?" He grins, shaking his head with a disparaging chuckle. "But I have had a few interesting adventures along the way. Maybe not the illustrious heights of 'heroics,' but I'm sure there's something worth incorporating among the lot."

The subject changes suddenly and Willfur finds himself caught off guard a moment, murmuring a quiet, "Oh," as he pauses, gathering his rampant thoughts. "I haven't been 'home,' in so long... I don't even think of it as that anymore. I think of home as something less tangible, something I carry inside myself, perhaps, though I'm sure my mother and friends would welcome me back if I ever found my way back to them. They were all very kind. We lived in a quiet pocket of countryside. Hmm... I wish I could give you better directions, other than north, since I know going north from here will run you straight into the sea, but somehow I got from there to here." His massive shoulders rise, shrugging, expression somewhere between apologetic and dismissive. "It doesn't make much sense, I know, but maybe one day it will."

@Radek

Inactive Character

As an entertainer, it was part of his job to read the subtle clues of the room and this guy was, well not exactly subtle.  His large ears were dead giveaways to the way he was feeling.  Radek made a mental note to not ever choose him for a partner in a gambling game.  "You're a bard!"  Radek smiled, a glint from the sun illuminating his eyes.  He dipped his head in a nod and a small bow, as if to say 'at your service'.  "YOUR SPEECH" 
"I would be honored to trade a few stories with you sometime, Radek, maybe during a winter respite, or - Maybe on a tour of your Court? I wouldn't mind a trek through the desert these days, with frost already threatening the morning dew. I'm no songbird myself, quite the opposite, really. Have you ever heard a mule try to sing? But I have had a few interesting adventures along the way. Maybe not the illustrious heights of 'heroics,' but I'm sure there's something worth incorporating among the lot."  Radek's eyes widened and his tail feathers flicked absentmindedly.  He was used to doing much of the talking but his memory was amazing and he sorted through the mule's words, hitting each point without missing a beat.  

"And I would be honoured to hear your stories.  Solterra is well known for staving off the colds of winter,"  He glanced up at the sky, and almost as if on cue, a chilling breeze swept through the open field.  "That would be lovely!  I did just leave there but you are correct.  The snow threatens to settle soon and I don't do well in the cold.  Bundling up and hiding by beauty under a cloak serves no one." He laughed heartily at Wilfur's comment.  "Unfortunately for my ears, I have heard many creatures attempt to regale me with song who...perhaps should not.  Like fighting or magic, song and word are skills that can be developed but some are just not cut out for it.  Of course that doesn't stop many from trying who perhaps should not.  One of the beauties of storytelling is the embellishments.  Perhaps you might not think your adventures grand, but by the time I am done with them, you will be a hero of legend, good Wilfur."

At Radek's mention of home, Wilfur's posture seemed to change dramatically.  He'd shifted on his feet, he almost lost height and his ears flicked showing his discomfort.  "Oh, I haven't been 'home,' in so long... I don't even think of it as that anymore. I think of home as something less tangible, something I carry inside myself, perhaps, though I'm sure my mother and friends would welcome me back if I ever found my way back to them. They were all very kind. We lived in a quiet pocket of countryside. Hmm... I wish I could give you better directions, other than north, since I know going north from here will run you straight into the sea, but somehow I got from there to here. It doesn't make much sense, I know, but maybe one day it will."

Radek didn't reply for a few moments.  He had traveled very far and wide in his attempt to gather stories.  But he'd never thought that there might be a land beyond the seas.  Perhaps some day he could venture out that far, if he could find a way to safely travel on the water.  Perhaps Wilfur might be able to recall how he came to Novus and share that knowledge.  But for now, Radek could tell he didn't want to talk about it.  It seemed like something had happened to start him on his quest away from home and unless his bland new friend wanted to offer that information, Radek wasn't one to push.  The stories he told were gifted to him rather then forcefully extracted.  Well it is good to hear that your family was kind and that your heart belongs on the road.  Travel can be quite lonely if it is not a choice.  But the open road calls to many and those who seek it's comforts can find many new friends."  He chuckled to himself.  Sometimes he was just so poetic he surprised himself.

But he thought again to change the subject if he was uncomfortable about discussing his origin.  
"So where are you headed to know?  Do you have a destination in mind?  I had just left home but had no appointments.  I was thinking of heading toward the Dawn Court to visit some friends, but I am impartial to my final destination."

[[Sorry it took so long :/  I accidentally closed my discord tab and didn't see your ]] || @Wilfur

Willfur

Willfur

"Oh, nowhere in particular." He answers summarily. The mule shakes himself, loosening and aerating his claybank coat to better insulate against the wind, and causing a brief swell of falsetto notes to ring out from the silver bell braided into his tail, only a little tarnished. "I just wanted to soak up the last of the sun before the cold and the clouds move in. I much prefer sweating to shivering you know, but we don't always get a choice." Glancing up, expectation, question, and a hint of laughter flicker across his blocky features. Just what remark might that bring?

Willfur is fully aware that he looks every bit the burly, outdoorsy-in-any-weather type, but so often appearances can be misleading in life, and he's not nearly so immovable as his silhouette might lead others to believe. "I'll probably spend most of the winter months tucked into some book or scroll in the Library, nestled into a soft cushion near a hearth." A sigh escapes, the thought already beginning to draw him back there, an irresistibly deep well to his unquenchable thirst for information.

"In fact, I think it's about time I head back. I've basked all I can and the temperature is already starting to drop." Ears tipping away from the rising wind, he turns to the southwest and cranes his neck around to look back at the other stallion, the sheltered space along his shoulder as open and inviting as his wide, hazel eyes. "We could walk together for a ways, if you like. It won't hurt my feelings if not! But I'd love to hear a little of your poetry, and about your friends in the Dawn Court - I've only just joined and haven't had the pleasure of meeting too many other members yet - and more about your Solterra, of course."

This time he doesn't hold back his multitude of questions, secure now in the knowledge that no amount of attention is likely to overwhelm or sour the little bard, because some things are what they appear to be, too.

@Radek