Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - (fire) fortunes and futures

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Solstice

S O L S T I C E
and at last i see the light, and it's like the fog has lifted
Spring had come to Novus, and with it, hope anew in the blessings of the gods.  Just as they had in their fall festivals, Delumine came back to life with its tribute to Oriens, and Solstice found herself against wandering through the stalls of merchants and entertainers with a whimsical smile.  Her step is much less burdened than in the past, relaxation drawing a sense of calm over the mare.  Sunrise hued wings tuck closely to her body, so as not to disturb those who she passes, and her leonine tail flicks absentmindedly with each step.

“Oh, excuse me!” her clarion voice is hushed as she dodges children who run past, giggling as they went, paint streaking their bodies and feathers flying from their manes as they raced one another through the field.  Absentmindedly, she allows her daydreaming to wander toward her own childhood and how different it might have been if she’d grown up in the wilds of Novus instead of the confines of the temple walls.  It was a good place for children, she decided, for here they were treated with love and kindness – just as she was treated now, at least by the few she’d met.

Girl, do you want to know what the future holds? It was an offer too alluring to ignore, and Solstice murmurs incredulously as she follows the silver eyed fortune-teller into his tent, drawn by the way stars seemed to shimmer to life along his spine.  “What are you?” she wonders aloud – for surely the shed-star was more light than horse, and he replies with only a chuckle as the cards are laid before her to choose.

Behind her, the girl hears a rustle of fabric as the tent welcomes a new stranger into its hold.  Solstice turns, her tawny eyes falling on the soldier as she offers him a soft smile of greeting.  “Couldn’t resist…” she explains to the stallion.  “Have you come to learn about the future as well?”  While Solstice couldn’t be certain that the shed-star is not a charlatan, she is intrigued as the fortune teller turns up the High Priestess, the Wheel of Fortune, and the Nine of Swords.  

“What do you think it means?” she murmurs to the stranger, not quite able to meet the fortune teller’s strange silver gaze – for the seer’s eyes seem endless as they watch hers, as if they could read her very soul.  What secrets would he find beneath the haunted shadows in her eyes?  

― @Eremurus

Played by Offline Semper [PM] Posts: 4 — Threads: 1
Signos: 15
Dawn Court Soldier
Male [He/His]  |  10 [Year 501 Spring]  |  16.3 hh  |  Hth: 8 — Atk: 12 — Exp: 10  |    Active Magic: N/A & N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

Eremurus

throw out the plans
live with no burden

T
he Court was thriving with the new life that the festivals of Spring brought along. It was a dawn of a new time, I couldn't help but chuckle at myself for that last thought. Punny was the right way to put it, even if I had been sitting on that joke since I learned how over the top this Court seemed to get with the fall of Winter. Thankfully, I hadn't yet spoken it out loud, or I might be stripped of my soldier title and rather be nothing more than a jester wandering through the halls with jingle bells attached to the tips of my ears. Hazel eyes rolled briefly to the back of my head as I thought of me being someone's dancing monkey rather than being able to throw my weight around. Luckily, it appeared that the children of the court thought I was too deep in my mind as they ran beneath me, their manes and tails tied up in braids and knots to hold the feathers so ornately I thought that there had to be magic in their mother's as they did them.
My own mothers hadn't been quite as involved, but then again as far as I knew it was just my brother and I who were born of their relationship. And I for one, was more likely to have war paint splattered across my body as I imagined it was the life blood of my enemies before I would allow someone to decorate my thick mane. A smile worked it's way across my face as I watched the children weave immaculately between the vendors and the bodies wandering the aisles. "Oh, excuse me!"My attention shifted away from the children who had weaved under me to the sunrise mare who was gracefully dodging the children, her elegance was on par with the children's quickness thankfully. I chuckled, thankful that she seemed to have a good grasp on what was going on around her, so I didn't have to go untangle her long graceful limbs from their long unruly ones today.
Before one could think, one of the vendors approached the graceful lady. I could not tell what words fell forth from his mouth, his silver star eyes stared blankly before turning and leading the lady into a draped tent. I struggled internally momentarily, wondering if I should follow suit and make sure that the star eyed being wasn't one with ill intent, as the festivals were an ideal time for some malicious actions...there were too many around for someone to notice one had gone missing in the midst of everything. Or if I should just continue on my way, and pray to whoever was listening today that the lady would be safe in the presence of the fortune teller. I grumbled to myself, knowing that I couldn't just walk away, mostly on account of it being my duty to make sure the creatures of the Court stay safe, especially when there were so many new faces traipsing through our walls.
Heavily feathered wings pulled in tighter as I pushed my way through the gold and red painted drapes that were hung so haphazardly from the sticks forming the tent's walls. Smoke filled the room as I entered, the smell of incense filled my nostrils and I almost stepped back out of the dimly lit tent, but then she turned around and offered a smile. "Have you come to learn about the future as well?" I returned the smile, deciding quickly I should feign interest in the fortune telling rather than admitting I was unsure of the trustworthiness of the creature who owned the smoke filled tent. "I suppose it wouldn't hurt to be prepared to see what the stars hold.." Clearing my throat I allowed myself to step further into the tent until I was standing alongside the winged mare, just as she spoke up once more, this time questioning me about the cards that were now face up before her.
"What do you think it means?" My easy laugh filled the air as I glanced over at the awe-struck mare, "Maybe it's a sign you should let me take you to the festival of fire tonight?"

"speech"
code by ralli | @Solstice | Words; 710 | Notes; he's a tool I'm sorry xD

Solstice

S O L S T I C E
The soothsayer flashes a glare at the stallion who enters, his silver eyes white hot with impatience even as the girl addresses him.  Still, he is in it for a coin, so two coins would be better.  Deciding to tolerate the interrupter, he watches as the girl flips over each card, humming quietly as he considers the cards.  She asks the meaning, and he waits to hear what the man has to say, snorting in derision at the too-obvious attempt to persuade the lady’s company.  Before she can answer, he clears his throat, beckoning the girl closer and ignoring Eremurus for now.

An interesting start… the Priestess stands for wisdom, scared knowledge, the subconscious mind.  She represents your past.  A shiver creeps up Solstice’s spine as she remembers the temple, the priestesses, the smell of incense clinging to her mane.  But as she remembers, the shed-star continues.  

The Wheel of Fortune… cyclical change.  The wheel keeps turning, events progressing to free us from the past.  A purr of satisfaction almost rolls from her lips, for this is just what the mare sought with her life in Delumine.  Freedom from the chains which had held her.  Hope for a new tomorrow… but then, he speaks again.  

The Nine of Swords… a challenge for the future, but the choice is yours to make.  It suggests you should confront your fear of being alone, and to acknowledge the limits you have put on yourself because of that fear.  In the name of being safe, you have adhered to standards of your lower self, bargaining away your joy to avoid the struggle.  Your life is at a turning point, and it is time to shed the burdens which way you down if you have any hope for renewed optimism.

His palm stretches out, begging from her a coin and he nods when she gives it.  For the moment, she simply stares at him silently, unsure of how to respond to the reading as his words ebb like a warning in her mind.  Blinking away the nakedness she feels, Solstice offers the seer a timid smile, turning and almost startling to see the soldier behind her – for though she knew he was there, the girl was so lost in the fortune, she’d almost forgotten about his presence.

What had his suggestion been?  Maybe it's a sign you should let me take you to the festival of fire tonight?  While most girls might have seen right through his intentions, Solstice’s naivety is evident in the trusting smile she offers as she edges closer to him.  The warmth of him so close is enough to stave away the eerie feeling which had washed over her only moments before, when the strange fortune teller seemed to see within her soul – to corners and secrets long buried in her psyche.  She felt too exposed, and so Eremurus is a welcome distraction as she leaves the tent by his side, murmuring a greeting with an almost apologetic tone.

“I’m sorry”, she apologizes again, “I didn’t even ask your name….  Solstice.”  she offers hers, face turning toward him with an expectant gaze, waiting to see what came next in this strange and most intriguing of festivals.

― @Eremurus

Played by Offline Semper [PM] Posts: 4 — Threads: 1
Signos: 15
Dawn Court Soldier
Male [He/His]  |  10 [Year 501 Spring]  |  16.3 hh  |  Hth: 8 — Atk: 12 — Exp: 10  |    Active Magic: N/A & N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

you can make this quote continuous or span however many lines

Eremurus was careful to ignore the glares of the soothsayer, a soldier of the court starting a tussle with one of the vendors over a funny look would likely not go over well. Rather he watched the vendor carefully as he spoke the future to the sunset personified. The soldier didn't listen in on the words that fell from the vendor's mouth, it wasn't his place to intrude on the mare's personal life until he was invited in, but he felt better even just standing here by the entrance. If he could protect just one mare from a less than favorable creature in these tents, then he was doing what he aspired to do. Although, Eremurus could not consider himself an overly good guy, he had the heart to become a good guy once he grew out of enjoying to party and spending time with various women.
Thoughts were interrupted by the movement of the vendor reaching out for his payment for whatever words had been shared between the two of them, the sunset mare reached out and placed his coinage into his outstretched palm before she hesitated momentarily before turning around. Surprise painted itself across her features when her gaze landed on the spotted soldier. A soft smile stretched across his features as he dipped his head ever so slightly while turning around to hold open the tent for his companion. She brushed past, leaning into him momentarily, their warmth passed between the two of them and for a moment Eremurus wondered if they should just skip the pleasentry of the festival and go get to know each other on a more...intimate level. But that was brushed aside as she continued moving and the warmth of her body was replaced by blinding sunshine that had been blocked off by the thick fabric of the tent. "I'm sorry." She apologizes as they walked from the tent, "I didn't even ask your name....Solstice."
Solstice was a pretty name, it fit the multihued mare very well and Eremurus made sure to file her name and face away in case they brushed into each other again in the future. "A beautiful name for a beautiful lady. I am Eremurus." He glanced at her as they walked side by side, gently bumping into her shoulder playfully, a smile pulling across his features as they walked in the direction of the field of bonfires where they would be getting to know each other better. "How have I not seen you around before?"

sample of speech

« r » | « i » | tag; @Solstice  |  words; 423  |  notes; <3

Solstice

S O L S T I C E
It was a strange thing, walking with a man, exchanging pleasantries with no one shouting their outrage or ushering her away.  In her past, she had led a more-than sheltered life, never afforded the freedoms to lead by her own free will.  Her acquaintances had been guarded, her interactions with the public curtailed to only times of worship where they would simply wander past and murmur their prayers at her feet.  In the night when she wrestled with sleep, she could remember the reek of incense on her skin, coiling up with smoke toward the dome of the temple.  She could remember the course feel of animal hide against her wings as she shrank into the rugs of the warlord’s tent, shutting her eyes and willing herself to seem invisible.

You could take her from her past, but the memories still lingered, even as she pushed them away with a sad smile and tried to mirror the jovial emotions of her companion as he playfully nudged her side.  She takes a steadying breath once more, bending to meet a child who streaked her cheek with amber hued paint before running away with a giggle.  Shaking away the coils of her past, she focused on the stallion’s compliment, blushing with humbleness, unsure how to react to such flattery.

“Thank you”, she murmured softly – for her name wasn’t one which was bestowed with love upon her.  Instead, it was simply a title which had been given to her by the priestesses, to remember the date of her birth and her reason for being (or so it had seemed at the time).  Since coming here though, the sunrise hued mare had taken a shine to the name, reminded that she could change it if she wished, and seeing it as something of her choice to keep her name and make it her own.

“It’s nice to meet you… Truthfully, I haven’t met many in Delumine yet.  I arrived in the summer, but have stayed to myself most days – reading in the library, exploring the gardens.  I’d like to see more though.  What do you like best about Delumine?”

― @Eremurus