Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - breathing in worlds that you don't belong

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Kat [PM] Posts: 146 — Threads: 25
Signos: 77
Vagabond Battlemage
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 498 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 28 — Atk: 32 — Exp: 53  |    Active Magic: Energy Transference  |    Bonded: Fylax (Gryphon)

I am the angels that hold and surround you, I am the demon you're afraid to need. I am the temple that will bless and feed you, I'm the religion keeping you in chains
It is late, when I pass beneath the arch that, when I built it, I did not know it would be my magnum opus. There is a storm building on the horizon like the storm in me. Dark, heavy clouds sitting in the in-between space between here and there, then and now. I can feel the way off thunder in my bones. Heat lightning streaks through the clouds, purple and red like bruises and blood.

There is no moon to paint a kaleidoscope of colors through the stained glass windows in the arch. There is no moon to laugh as she stares down at my back, retreating from the place I had come to call home. The windows are lightless tonight, and I am a void. The world is waiting, holding its breath. The storm will break. Sooner or later, it will break.

I ascend the mountainside, like I did once those years ago in that snowstorm, axe in hand. I climb, and climb, until I rise into cooler air. Until I am standing on a precipice, looking down on a world so small I could forget that it once housed something better in me. I cannot decide if I should be forgetting all of the things it made me, or remembering the things it changed in me.

My instincts sense it coming before I hear it—long before I see it—whatever is running, out there, in the rocks and the snow. Everything is slow, as I turn. As the takin stumbles and falls. I can feel its exhaustion. Nearby, a snow leopard screams.

As I make my way closer to the creature, I consider. It tries to stand and fails, though it does not look injured. Has it simply given up? My magic draws closer, weaving its way around the tired beast. Something carnal rears its head inside me, like a black wave crashing or a great maw yawning open. I could save its life. But I would be leaving the leopard to hunger. I stand there next to the takin for what feels like hours. I know its hunter will be here soon.

So I do what I should have done, everytime my loyalty to what I am was called into question.

I walk away.

My magic cleaves itself from the takin, which does not try to stand again. I go further around the mountain, deeper into its heart, its chill. My magic feels the moment the snow leopard gets its meal, like a source being depleted. Something inside me turns icy as the stones under my feet. I do not stop. I keep going, until I am no longer thinking about living or dying or the world behind me.

"Speaking."
| @Asterion

[Image: 13716916_Rc8f5hGvZkB3cYP.png]
a war is calling
the tides are turned

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Asterion

I want to be with those who know secret things
or else alone

There is a storm being born in the mountains.

Asterion can feel it, as all wild things do - the sharp drop in pressure, the distant smell of ozone. Between the branches of pines and oaks he watches the soundless, faraway lightning, like watching a war happen in his sleep.

But the stallion is not dreaming. He is picking his way down a slope in the semidark, watched by owls who wait for the rain from their hollowed-out trees, too wise to hunt. He is focusing on each step, careful not to slip on the snow-damp leaves, knowing that forcing his body to exhaustion keeps his mind stumbling over itself instead of thinking of other things. Sharper things, darker things, things that should not belong to him at all but have recently stopped feeling wrong.

He does not hear the snow leopard scream. Still, Asterion knows the law of the wilds. And the killing does not bother him, not when he knows it’s so something else can eat (not like the horses of Novus, so civilized in their buildings and markets, who kill - for what?)

The storm is almost on him when he crosses into a clearing where spring flowers nod amidst the last patches of snow, pale in the darkness. Now there is a distant roll of thunder, and no other sound - except that of footsteps, approaching from further down the slope.

Asterion does not stop until they come face to face, her figure dark except the white places that gleam like the moon, and the faint shine of light from her axe. Even then he does not speak, only watches her through dark eyes as thunder groans again.

@Antiope
Asterion.
credits

Played by Offline Kat [PM] Posts: 146 — Threads: 25
Signos: 77
Vagabond Battlemage
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 498 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 28 — Atk: 32 — Exp: 53  |    Active Magic: Energy Transference  |    Bonded: Fylax (Gryphon)

I am the angels that hold and surround you, I am the demon you're afraid to need. I am the temple that will bless and feed you, I'm the religion keeping you in chains
The thunder reaches down inside my bones, eating up all the empty places and filling them with something else instead. The thunder sounds like the roar of the lioness in my veins, who stalks, and stalks, and stalks. She is hungry, and yearning. I have nothing to offer her, now. So I keep going.

I go up, and up, as the clouds come in and devour the sky. It feels like a metaphor. It feels like the sky is only everything I have been trying to push away, and yet it comes. Ruthlessly, unfailingly, even undesired, it comes.

Soon all will be pitched in darkness, and scoured by the storm.

The thunder bares its teeth again, and in front of me appears a man. Upon his back he wears the stars but his eyes are dark like the clouds. I stop, and he stops, and we are staring at each other in this clearing on the mountain with silence between us and something other inside us and the storm converging over us.

I think I almost recognize the sharp things he is trying to hide.

“Misfortunes are less sharp when shared with others,” I say somewhat cryptically. I don’t quite sound like myself. I am not sure if I am speaking of the storm that rumbles, and groans, and claws its way over our heads, or something else. “Still, I was not expecting the company,” and I do not know why I am here, in the cold and the snow.

The last time I climbed this mountain it was upon a path to a temple, which I left with no more answers to the questions I had than when I arrived. I prefer to think of the time in the storm, in the snow, and that bear. That bear with eyes like mine, that had not seen another winter. I had been different then, hadn’t I been?

"Speaking."
| @Asterion

[Image: 13716916_Rc8f5hGvZkB3cYP.png]
a war is calling
the tides are turned

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Asterion

I want to be with those who know secret things
or else alone

Asterion can almost understand how feral his nephew was, when he caught him in the orchards of Terrastella with the scent of fallen apples thick and sweet around them.

He has been alone in the wilds for less long. But already he wants to stiffen like a stag, to bare his teeth like a stoat surprised in a thicket. It is hard, in this moment, to see that he was ever a civilized thing - a man taught to read, taught to pray, taught to sit for portraits and host soirees in the gardens in spring.

Oh, he knows that he is different now. But he doesn’t wonder which version of him is closer to true.

“And what misfortune,” he says, stepping nearer so that the low tone of his voice is audible over the hiss as the first drops of rain begin to strike the leaves, “brings you up here?” So far from everything else, his gaze seems to add. 

The bay stallion says nothing about the company. It is clear that he was not expecting anything either, except maybe to lose himself in the chaos and noise of the storm.

@Antiope
Asterion.
credits