Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - sharpen your teeth [NC auditions]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Morrighan

I'LL SHOW YOU MY TRUE COLORS

a promise with a lie is broken by design // and what I thought I knew has been swallowed by the truth // it's time to light the flame // right before it rains // i'm not afraid, i'm not

The castle bells are ringing, but all Morrighan can seem to focus on is the beating of her heart. Maybe later she will grieve and come to terms with the loss of a friend, but for now there is work to be done. She has a new purpose now in this Court, one that she feels she's been working towards for quite some time. Long before Maeve had even been born, she realizes.

The bells remind her of Isra.

For what seems like ages ago, Isra stood on these very steps and looked down on her people to speak of a new day. She had been missing for a while before then, but she returned once Raum had been slain. It was a chance for the Court to become stronger than they had ever been before. To rebuild and regroup.

Morrighan had been the first to stand up then to speak and declared her loyalty to the Court. Something she had been struggling her first time here, but it had been Isra who welcomed her and saw potential in her. She didn't only see violence, she saw strength.

That's how she stands before the Court- her Court, her family. There are many she's pissed off or scared off, sure, but times are different now. They can all think what they want, but she'll prove it to them.

She nods to a guard and the bells cease. A hush falls over the crowd and she watches as many eyes turn to her. She would normally look up at the moon as if to call on its guidance, but there is nothing but its shadow among the glowing stars of the night.

"Denocte, I call you here for several reasons. First and foremost, many of you know me as your Regent. I have served this Court for a couple years now. This is my home as much as it is yours. It's come to a time where I feel I could do more. I stand here now, not as your Regent, but as your Sovereign," she addresses them, pausing for a moment to wonder if Antiope is watching from somewhere. As she scans the crowd, there is no sign of her tiger stripes and red ribbons. Unless she is hiding in the shadows, Morrighan is alone.

"No blood was shed, there was no challenge… It appears we could not come to an agreement of some kind, so Antiope has left," she continues, gritting her teeth. She can already hear whispering in the crowd. "However, if any of you do see her again as a visitor or a wanderer, you are all to treat her with respect. Just as I would expect you to do with Isra. She was once your queen and sovereign after all." Part of her wants to say all the things Antiope accused her of and shut the gates on the former Sovereign, but their friendship meant something to Morrighan. Even if it might not have to the other woman, she is not going to treat her like an enemy when she should not be one.

"I'm not here to be a dictator or bring about violence, as some rumors may go. As long as we all work together towards the greater good of this Court, I will stand by you. Cross that line and then that might be a different story." Her two-colored eyes glow in the absence of her fire. As badly as she wants to release it, she does not. She doesn't want to scare anyone anymore (not unless she has to, at least).

The Sovereign takes a few steps forward so that she's a bit closer to the crowd and might be able to hear voices more clearly. "Now with that said- our ranks are empty. If anyone here feels they have more to give to our Court, speak your mind now."

As she waits for the first response, her mind drifts to Moira and how the Emissary may react to this news. That she would deal with next.

"Speaking."
(Don't worry, Morr isn't doing anything to Moira lmao)
credits

NOTE: Although this thread is tagged AW, this does not count towards the current writing contest as a reply to an AW thread since this is not a typical AW thread

Just like we have done in the past, this thread is going to act as an IC audition for all of the open ranks in the Night Court! You don't need to have your character declare what ranks they would like in your IC reply if you don't want to, but make sure to complete the form below with as much info as possible.

Current open ranks: Regent, Warden, Champion of Wisdom, Champion of Healing & Champion of Community

Please post your audition by 11:59pm EST on December 1st. After that, auditions will close and I will respond with Morrighan to announce which characters have been promoted to which ranks. If you're not wanting to audition, but would like to have your character respond to the news, you're still welcome to reply!

My goal with this leadership team is to all collaborate OOC on events, lore, adopts and whatever else might come up. If your character is promoted, my ask is that you make at least 3 IC posts a month (preferably related to the Court) and participate in Court planning. I will be holding myself and current regime/counsel ranks to these same standards. However, I won't be demoting anyone immediately for not meeting this. I completely understand that life happens (we're in a pandemic, after all) so if something comes up, just DM me and we can work it out!

To audition, please complete the form below and either copy/paste it at the bottom of your IC post or DM me (fiftyblackroses#8448):

Code:
- Which role(s) would you prefer to have for your character? Please rank your choices if there are more than one.

- If you are given a role, how many posts can you comfortably commit to a month in the court boards on average without feeling stressed out? (Is at least 3 a month a reasonable amount for you?)

- Would you be willing to help with adopts, lore, plots, any court events?

- Do you have any events in mind that you would love to see?

- What would you like to see done in Denocte overall?

- What would your character like to do IC?

I look forward to reading your replies <3

Azrael

azrael

Azrael is the first to respond to her call, emboldened by the toll of the bells which instilled in him a sense of curiosity and duty. Often, he had walked the dark and empty halls of this castle, seeking life and something more of his time in Denocte. He had unsuccessfully tried to gain an audience with Antiope while she’d been the sovereign, longing to pledge himself and his duty to her kingdom, but finding nothing but emptiness in his quest. Now though, there are whispers of a new era for their court, the thought both refreshing and terrifying all the same. For with change came conflict, but change was needed for their progress as a people.

His glow throws light on the walls as he works his way toward the newly crowned Sovereign, stopping before her to listen with interest in his turquoise stare and words of loyalty on his lips. His gaze sweeps quickly over Morrighan, noting that her wounds had healed and her head seemed clearer than the last time they’d met. The woman who stood here now was something more, something regal. She holds herself with confidence, her words tinged with a bite of authority, though they are not unkind. Instead, she stokes their patriotism, gazing upon the masses with expectation and resolve.

If anyone here feels they have more to give to our Court, speak your mind now.

He looks around him at those who began to join them, some familiar but many not. And in that moment, the shed-star seems called to something more, some higher purpose which could bring him meaning in this place. For too long, he had wallowed in lostness, straying away to his stars and paying little mind to the politics and happenings around him. But Elena had shown him the possibilities which came with court life.

He had watched the way the golden mare had blossomed in her new role, serving as an advocate for her court and becoming a beacon of welcome to so many. Everywhere he went, Azrael had heard her name whispered on the lips of strangers, and pride had swelled within him – for Elena was making a difference, whether she saw it from day to day or not. And every part of him wanted that too, to give of himself for a greater need. To build Denocte into the type of place which Caligo would smile upon. To redeem himself for the loss of his homeland so many moons ago, rebuilding a home founded on caring for fellow man instead of fates and fortunes.

So Azrael clears his throat above the others, nodding his head respectfully to their new queen in a vow of dedication to her service. “I am proud to serve Denocte, in whatever capacity your court requires.”

“Speaking.”
credits

@Morrighan

Played by Offline Obsidian [PM] Posts: 189 — Threads: 28
Signos: 110
Night Court Battlemage
Male [Him/his/he]  |  Immortal [Year 500 Summer]  |  16.3 hh  |  Hth: 37 — Atk: 43 — Exp: 74  |    Active Magic: Shadow-Forging  |    Bonded: Thia (Shadow-creature)

tagged
Congrats Layla and Morrighan <3 <3

credit
1 / 2
tenebrae
let everything happen to you, beauty and terror, just keep going, no feeling is final

The bells are ringing. Tenebrae hears their chiming even from up in the mountains. Word had been spreading like wild fire. Little whispers like licks of flame. No matter how much truth they carried, the words were incendiary. Talk rose like consuming fire. It was fitting, then, that Morrighan should be at the heart of it.

A new queen. He hears it first from a nurse in the infirmary of the monastery. He hears it out on the road (for upon such news, the first thing Tenebrae sought to do was to find Morrighan). A passing trader whispers to a farmer as they exchange goods. They gossip at how Antiope has left, how Morrighan has ascended.

At once the monk slows. It is a blessing that he need rush no more, than Morrighan is not compromised but elevated. Yet Tenebrae does not turn back for the Night Order barracks either. He steps, slowly, carefully, with the hesitancy, the hither and thither of a moth. His shadows skip ahead of him, solid. If there is one blessing since his Blinding, it is that the monk knows his shadow magic even better. He feels them, senses them like an instinct deep within him. They influence him like his tongue influences him to drink, like his skin warns him of heat.

With his shadow communication sharper, the monk moves faster. Soon, the monk hears the pealing of bells.  They echo, rippling, loud and demanding. Their summons echoes across the plains, the lake and the meadows. All around them citizens of Denocte are gathering. It seems like only yesterday Tenebrae pledged himself to Antiope. He barely knew her, but he knows Morrighan, he knows her anxieties, he has confided his own in her. The monk already understands that this time will be different. Morrighan is different to him than Antiope.

Tenebrae slowly follows the tide of horses that weave through the cobbled streets of the city. They meander until then, Morrighan is there, newly ascended. A smile slips across his lips, he cannot see her, but her words ring out, louder, clearer even than the bells. In silence he listens and wonders how she might look stood before the crowd. His shadows tremble, but the monk does not understand the strange way they make him feel. His ears twitch, listening to voices that whisper their thoughts, some fearful of the new queen, others curious yet others excited. The monk is confident in their new queen, his pledge will be an easy one to make. He will always be a servant of Denocte, it is only more of a delight to serve beneath Morrighan.

When Morrighan has finished, her speech fair, Tenebrae moves slowly through the crowd, already Azrael is there. The crowd parts for the blindfolded monk and his shadows that crawl before him, testing his path, learning his surroundings, pressing them like instinct upon his skin. Tenebrae stops when he feels his shadows do so. He is at the edge of the crowd - already Azrael is there. So much unease sits between them, yet Tenebrae lets it wash from his skin like rain. This is not the time and oh, he is so wearied with arguing. 

Slowly the monk lowers himself upon a knee. His nape arches, muzzle dipping low with his genuflection. “Long live the Queen!” The monk says louder, a smile curling along his lips. “You will do well, your Majesty and I will serve you and Denocte, loyally and with dedication, in any way you will have me. I give Denocte, her people and her goddess, my life.”

Played by Offline Rae [PM] Posts: 118 — Threads: 19
Signos: 20
Inactive Character

there's no such thing as an unhaunted house
I did not like crowds like the one that night, tensely waiting for whatever announcement was about to come. A significant part of me just wanted to be up in the mountains with my sister and our wolves, streaks of grey roaming through the dark forest. It was better when Morrighan stepped forward, and our attention had a target to land on.

So Antiope’s time was done, and a new sovereign would take her place. I was surprised (surely I wasn’t the only one) but it was easy enough to take in stride. Morrighan was so established within the court it seemed a natural transition, although I still had questions… of course, I had questions. For later.

Horses began to come forward. Some cheered, others bowed. With the slightest tilt of my head I watched it all unfold. I thought about what it meant to be sovereign. What Isra represented, and Antiope, and now Morrighan. How the position changed, each woman given her own slow season. I was perhaps too cynical for my age; none of it seemed to matter in the long run, not really. Nothing but that the wheels would keep turning, the machine would keep ambling along. The parties would still be held, with the pretty lights and the quaint activities, and the court would keep slowly expanding.

I could not tell if the others were afraid to state where they saw themselves, or if they just didn’t know. I could relate to either, although not today. When there was a lull in the congratulations and the offerings, I took a step forward and nodded my head in acknowledgement. I had no congratulations to give, and though I wished her well this seemed so obvious to me that it would be stupid to say it out loud. “I would like to be considered for Warden.

I was a child born and raised in peace, and it was all I knew. I never sailed across the sea to go to war. I never lived through a tyrant who turned his citizens to stone. My skin was untouched by scars and my conscience unburdened by loss. But I was a daughter of Denocte; Morrighan would find no one more loyal to the kingdom (the kingdom, the land I loved, not its regime) and few who knew it as well as I, even despite my youth.

And I was not a complete stranger to violence; Morrighan had witnessed it firsthand. I did not waste time making my case, for I did not see what difference it would make. She was my aunt Morr, one of the many who looked after me when my parents were gone. Some things could go unspoken between us.

"Speaking."

- Which role(s) would you prefer to have for your character? Please rank your choices if there are more than one.
Warden

- If you are given a role, how many posts can you comfortably commit to a month in the court boards on average without feeling stressed out? (Is at least 3 a month a reasonable amount for you?)
3 is reasonable! Most months I have 5-10 posts with Aspara

- Would you be willing to help with adopts, lore, plots, any court events?
Of course <3 

- Do you have any events in mind that you would love to see?
I would love to see some kind of event that has religious ties! Moon festival or something similar.

- What would you like to see done in Denocte overall?
I would love to see more development of places in the court to build upon the fantastic NPC's that Kat has created! Maybe not in the sense of creating official descriptions of everything (I dislike the idea of limiting other's imaginations by saying "this is the way it is") but events/prompts that encourage players to explore what they imagine the court looks like, smells like, how the general mood of the people changes with the season, etc.

- What would your character like to do IC?
Prowl around and be noble?

Played by Offline Kaiju [PM] Posts: 33 — Threads: 10
Signos: 5
Inactive Character

LET ME SHOW YOU
what you've been missing

Coming to Novus doesn't feel like it was a bad idea, not in the least, but so far it feels like a lonely experience. Perhaps it's from the fact that they have reservations about meeting others, about showing their face to the public eye. Cicatrix has heard far too often the whispers that would follow them, some laced with poison, and others simply barbed and meant to sting. It's understandable; they do not look like anyone else that they've ever met over their centuries of life. Without a face, it can be intimidating to even talk to them, but oh do they try with their gilded teeth and tender words. Expression can be spoken, if not seen, a little trick they had learned.

The ringing brings them in, wings holding them aloft until they land with soft steps, cloven hooves digging down slightly before resting as wings come down, cupping at their sides. Silence echoes around them for the brief period, and Cicatrix is aware they've landed in the meeting in a lull. No one speaks at the moment, but not due to their arrival or looks. It's simply a moment where everyone is quiet, and perhaps a good time to be here. Lifting their head, they cock it to the side, listening when the new Sovereign begins to speak. Just in time, then. It puts them at east to know they arrived just in time to hear the announcement.

They know no one here, but they do know that they can bring some sort of knowledge perhaps. Experience? Is it right for them to step forward and offer them? Again, that skull tilts, casting an unseeing gaze between patrons of the Court before finally stepping forward with a soft flutter of the celestial cloak wrapping them. Bright and aglow, they take in a breath, hoping to not offend, hoping to not scare as they have done so many times in the past.
An unblinking stare is fixed on the one that had called herself the Sovereign, head bowing down before lifting once more, the gold circlets on their cloak glittering. They must look a mess, dripping a slow ooze of blue from their jaws, but it does not hinder them. "I offer my services to the Night Court, her deity, and all her citizens." It's as simple as that, head casting upward a little after the small bow. "I will go where you see fit."

ooc|| rusty rust but here we go

- Which role(s) would you prefer to have for your character?: Champion of Wisdom, if anything c:

- If you are given a role, how many posts can you comfortably commit to a month in the court boards on average without feeling stressed out?: 3 a month is fine with me, or more. Cicatrix is my only character currently.

- Would you be willing to help with adopts, lore, plots, any court events?: I would love to help with all of them. I love lore and plots and events.

- Do you have any events in mind that you would love to see?: I haven't been around in a while so I don't have anything to say here at the moment. just in case I repeat something.

- What would you like to see done in Denocte overall?: Just to see it rise to the greatness it had those years ago ; ;

- What would your character like to do IC?: ... be a scholar or astronomer, honestly.

August

August thinks that he has heard those bells ring too many times in his life already.

He isn’t that old, for goddess’ sake; it’s hard to conceive that he’s already seen four sovereigns. He’d only been a boy when Reichenbach took over, and the years between then and now had been tumultuous not just for him, or even Denocte, but all of Novus - and yet it feels as natural as anything, to answer that summoning now.

There had been no crowds such as these the first time he’d looked on the castle walls - all those steps had seemed near-insurmountable when he was nothing but a knock-kneed colt, come to play with the kitchen children while she worked as a maid. But the throng does not bother him; there is nothing of the nervous tension when Isorath and Aislinn had announced the Dragon Gate was closing, nothing of the cautious celebration when each mare was crowned Queen after that.

The only strange thing is that he stands alone to listen, and not between Minya and Aghavni, or with any others from the Scarab.

Oh, but there are plenty of familiar faces. It’s Morrighan he watches first, of course, and he can feel first one and then the other brow rising when she makes her announcement. He’s a little surprised the Regent - Queen, rather - is so open with her falling out with Antiope, but the paint’s honesty had always been something August appreciated about her. His previous conversation with Antiope makes more sense now, too - the way she’d told him she could not appoint him to a role in the court.

Well, August has weathered plenty of changes before now. This one, at least, had potential.

He does not rush to be the first to speak; it’s a man he doesn’t recognize who breaks the silence of the crowd. But the palomino’s brow creases when the monk steps forward, and lowers himself in supplication. Oughtn’t you serve your goddess, monk? he thinks, eyeing the trailing edges of the man’s bandages.

He is less surprised when the young unicorn speaks, though he does huff a soft breath when she asks for the position of Warden. But August’s gaze only turns truly judgmental when a stranger - emphasis on strange, with that black and weeping skull - asks for a position. August is no longer one of the spiders sitting at the center of the web of connections that is the court, but he still knows that if he’d ever seen this creature before in Novus, he’d remember it.

Even as this last stranger finishes speaking, the palomino is stepping through the crowd, toward the steps and Morrighan’s expectant gaze. He lifts his gaze to hers, but does not smile. Somehow, despite the crowd and the distance between them, it feels more intimate than when he knelt before Antiope in the throne room.

“Queen Morrighan,” he begins, and dips his head. “My mother served this castle and court before I was born, and it would be my honor to serve it now as Warden. I’m willing to fight for the position, if need be.” The last he says with a glance toward the young unicorn, whom he nods at with a slight smile.  

@Layla @Morrighan

August - -
there's a lover in the story
but the story's still the same
credits

- Which role(s) would you prefer to have for your character? 1. Warden 2. Regent?

- If you are given a role, how many posts can you comfortably commit to a month in the court boards on average without feeling stressed out? (Is at least 3 a month a reasonable amount for you?) 3 is definitely doable, with 5+ more likely (especially in the coming months as I rotate out some others)

- Would you be willing to help with adopts, lore, plots, any court events? Yes! It'd be an honor to help build on the rich lore of Novus/Night Court.

- Do you have any events in mind that you would love to see? Particularly with Warden in mind I'd love to do more with sparring/maybe stealing and riddles - I'd be glad to brainstorm a way that doesn't take quite the commitment, both time of otherwise, of some of the tournaments we've had.

- What would you like to see done in Denocte overall? Just continuing to work on court activity and intra-court ties.

- What would your character like to do IC? August has had quite an arc from working most of his life at the service of the Scarab/to protect Aghavni. He did some traveling, spent some time in Solterra (of which he has mixed feelings) and has come out the other end of his mid-life crisis realizing that he needs to belong to something and loves/is faithful to Denocte. I'd love to see him work with other Night Court citizens, maybe as a liaison between its rulers and the underbelly he came from.

Played by Offline Rae [PM] Posts: 118 — Threads: 19
Signos: 20
Inactive Character

there's no such thing as an unhaunted house
Warden?

Afterwards I would marvel at my own boldness in that moment. I did not know I had the audacity to step forward for such a position! That evening, self-doubt would creep in as it always does- in the heavy shadows that linger at the edge of sleep, those vulnerable moments before the mind’s logic crumbles to the playground of dreams. But there and then, standing apart from the crowd, I was certain. I grasped at that certainty like my life depended on it. My future certainly did, or so I thought at the time- most thought me as stoic, but they did not realize how often I fell victim to the drama of youth.

The funny thing is that I thought I would be the only one. Perhaps because all those before me were resigned to whatever fate their queen would choose for them. But there was another who stepped forth; with a voice like warm copper he spoke of his history and interest in warden. His last words, so casual, dug deep into my deepest insecurity- I had never been proven in battle against another horse. Did he know?

My eyes widened slightly at the challenge. I swung my horn toward the blonde with a raised brow. If I had seen him before I could not recall, but that wasn’t saying much; I had far more of an eye for rocks and trees and other animals than I did for horses.  “Bring it.” I grinned like a wolf, and found that where I would once be nervous, I was excited.

"Speaking."

<3 <3

Morrighan

I'LL SHOW YOU MY TRUE COLORS

a promise with a lie is broken by design // and what I thought I knew has been swallowed by the truth // it's time to light the flame // right before it rains // i'm not afraid, i'm not

There is a part of her that is worried no one will step forward. Morrighan hasn't been well liked among some of the Court. There's no doubt in her mind that there's going to be a lot of apprehension about her stepping up as Sovereign. She's hoping that in time, she can show everyone that this isn't her taking over anything or becoming power hungry. She's also hoping that the counsel she appoints can make sure to keep her in check.

As some familiar faces start to step forward, she breathes a quiet sigh of relief. Azrael is the first to speak, the man who helped heal her on the island and who she will forever be grateful for. Although his salve wasn't a permanent fix, it helped her get back home safely until she could reach out to Elena for more help. She remembers their brief conversation and how he mentioned he isn't the most social. It seems he had a lot of knowledge to share from his Shed Star origins and that would indeed be valuable in a counsel position.

"Thank you, Azrael," she says with a nod. There is already a good choice for him in her mind, but she will wait to make any official decisions until all have stepped forward and spoken.

Then there is Tenebrae, the monk she did not expect to befriend. Their time in the temple is something she thinks back to often. There are not many that she trusts in this world, but he has never disappointed her. Out of everyone here, no matter if they speak out or not, he is the only one that she can think fit for a certain position. It didn't matter that he was blind now because she knows the kind of strength that he has and the kind of magic he possesses. She can see the way the tendrils act as guides to move him forward. Plus, he brought back Maeve safely from Terrastella and didn't need to pass the task on to a random stranger (unlike a certain someone).

His sentiments are about what she would expect him to say. Although, she could do without the bowing. It makes her uncomfortable. Even just the title of "queen" is something that will take a while for her to get used to.

"Thank you, as always, Tenebrae," she says. Although he can't see her, he will likely hear her gratitude in her tone. While he must still feel like he has disappointed Caligo, Morrighan would think otherwise. He has done so much for not only her and Maeve, but the Court too. There's no reason the deity should have any reason to look down on him with anything but pride.

Morrighan is partly surprised at who steps forward next, but at the same time she has seen Aspara's strength come forward recently. If it wasn't for her and her bonded, Maeve would've likely been killed on the island. She showed tremendous courage and strength that day and for her, Morr will forever be grateful too. Not to mention all that she has done for Maeve otherwise. It only seems right that she is appointed Warden so that their borders can remain safe. Any danger that tries to come through would likely be no match for her. Still, she waits to let everyone speak, although even she is starting to feel the anticipation brewing.

"Duly noted. Thank you, Aspara," she tells her, looking at her like the proud Aunt that she is. Wherever Isra and Eik are, they must be proud of how much she's grown into the woman she is today.

Then, there is someone new that speaks out. She thinks she remembers their name as Cicatrix. Morrighan hasn't spoken to them directly before, but perhaps it should be worth something that they have spoken. It takes a lot of courage to do so in front of a crowd, but then again, she's not so certain of their intentions. Without knowing them well enough, she's not sure what she could offer this early. Still, she nods to them. "Thank you, Cicatrix," she says, keeping a watchful gaze on them for a few moments before the very last voice rings out.

It's August, of course. Should she be so surprised? With all he's talked about lately about a redemption arc, she should have known that he would speak out today. What she didn't expect was him to also be interested in Warden. His words sting a bit as she remembers telling Antiope nearly the same thing. At least this time, there is someone who can honor a tradition as such and not simply see it as useless violence. Before she responds, she turns to Aspara to see how she reacts. There is no hesitation and the challenge has been accepted.

While part of this turnout is who she had hoped to see, some of this had surprised her and made her realize just how many she does actually appreciate in her Court. Morrighan had been unsure at first who might be willing to stand by her for this change, but she's happy to see that not everyone distrusts her. Maybe there is hope of them seeing that she's more than just her fire and sharp tongue.

When no one else speaks, she knows it's her turn to. She clears her throat and stands taller than she has been. This is her new purpose and she can feel herself brimming with pride for her Court and the new opportunities this will provide.

"Thank you all for stepping forward today. I appreciate all of what you've said," she begins, addressing the small group but also looking out at everyone else in the Court. There are so many that did not speak, but maybe they will in time once they all trust each other more.

Morrighan's gaze goes in the order of who spoke, resting first on Azrael. "Azrael, I would be happy to appoint you as our new Champion of Wisdom, if you are up for it." She feels confident in her choice for his position, should he wish to take it. There is a lot that he could teach them all, but especially those in the Court that are still growing and finding their place. It should also give him the purpose he's been seeking within the Court and help him be more social with them all.

Then she turns to the monk who is more than that to her now. "Tenebrae, you have been with me through some hard times and have been there for Maeve in so many ways. I can never thank you enough," she says to him with a rare but genuine smile. "I would be honored if you would stand beside me as Night Court's new Regent." Something tells her that he will gladly accept the offer. His loyalty is something that reminds her of herself (just maybe without the really worship-y to Caligo part).

Moving on, she looks to both Aspara and August now, the excitement of a challenge in their gazes. "I will honor this challenge for Warden. You two can rest tonight and will meet me out here tomorrow to start the challenge. I will appoint whoever wins as Warden and whoever loses, well, we can see what we can work out." There is still a part of her that isn't so sure about August, but she does appreciate his hard work lately. It would be wrong of her not to acknowledge that. Perhaps there is a place for both of them in the counsel, no matter the outcome of the spar. It will be something she'll have to think over tomorrow after all is said and done.

Lastly, she looks at the newcomer, feeling more uncertain about this one. "Cicatrix, I do not know you well, but perhaps we can change that. Let's get a drink sometime and you can tell me more about your purpose in joining the Night Court," she offers and hopefully they will take it. If the meeting goes well and several more after that, perhaps there can be a place for them in the counsel as well.

With everyone accounted for, Morrighan turns to look out at the Court as a whole again, not wanting to keep them any longer. "That concludes this meeting. Thank you all for coming here and listening. If there is anyone else that wishes to speak with me in private, please arrange it with Sullivan."

And with that, she walks back through the castle doors. There is still a lot of work to be done and something tells her that the work is only just beginning.

"Speaking."
@Azrael @Tenebrae @Aspara @Cicatrix @August
credits

Thank you all for auditioning and putting so much hard work into your posts! I enjoyed reading each one and this wasn't an easy decision for me haha.

TL;DR:
@Azrael has been promoted to Champion of Wisdom!
@Tenebrae has been promoted to Regent!
@August and @Aspara will spar for the title of Warden! Whoever wins the spar will be appointed Warden and whoever loses I will message to see what else we might be able to work out rank/plot-wise.

To make things official, make sure to head on over to the Rank change thread! You can also post your character one more time here if you'd like.

@Cicatrix - I appreciate you auditioning! I would love to thread them with Morrighan a bit before possibly appointing them to a rank to see how plots might work out. Let me know when you'd be up for getting a thread together!

Again, thank you all and I look forward to writing and plotting more with you all <3

Azrael

The stallion stands with all who had come to gather, taking in their faces, some familiar but many new.  As he stood by those who would become his family, Azrael knew he was called to something higher and more meaningful than simply existing.  He knew that his stars would always shine and call to him, but also that Caligo wanted more from him.  She wanted his service, selfless and true.  She beckoned him to be more… and so when Morrighan offers him the council position as Champion of Wisdom, he returns the christening with a bow of acceptance.  

"It would be an honor.”  His smile is a bit brighter now, the mantle of responsibility falling comfortably to his shoulders as he vows to himself to serve to the best of his ability.  That would mean learning more, about the lore beyond his shed-star existence – embracing the cultures and practices of their people (and perhaps forging customs of their own).  

He stills, listening to the rest of the positions being named with keen interest.  When Tenebrae steps forward, he does not balk – for Caligo’s monk had already dedicated his life and his mission to the goddess (even if his indiscretions had led to a tarnished existence).  Azrael knew the stallion craved redemption and a chance to prove himself.  He would do well as Regent, a position which the shed-star did not begrudge him one bit.  Still, he knew their proximity on the council would be an interesting dynamic, one he would mull over at a later time.

The other names are less familiar, but his brow quirks at the idea of a spar for the warden position.  It made sense, he supposed, and not for the first time, Azrael is pleased that he is a scholar instead of a warrior.  It simply wasn’t in his nature to compete or to spar with others.  They needed protection though, so it was good that the strongest of the two would prevail and serve as their guardian.  

When the queen is done speaking, the crowds begin to part, and Azrael finds himself seeking the stranger who had wished for the same title as he.  The shed-star approaches Cicatrix quietly, his gaze resting appreciatively at the star map emblazoned on the other’s frame.  He too held a special affinity for the heavens, and so he offers a smile and a hushed whisper of greeting for only them to hear.  "Hello, and welcome… I don’t know that we’ve met, but I would love to show you Caligo’s stars, if you wish to join me on the mountains one evening?”  

Azrael
html by castlegraphics; artwork by magtox

@Morrighan, @Cicatrix

Played by Offline Kaiju [PM] Posts: 33 — Threads: 10
Signos: 5
Inactive Character

LET ME SHOW YOU
what you've been missing

Being new, they do not expect a position other than the scholar that they come as. There is much to learn from Novus' skies and denizens, as well as the deities that lurk in the edges of everyone's minds. It is no surprise that the positions offered are to others, and they harbor no ill will. After all, as a newcomer, it is not their right to take a position of power. A scholar is fine with them, they only hope to offer their knowledge to anyone that wants it, as best as they can.

So Cicatrix merely bows their head at the decision; if they had lips, they would have smiled. Instead, they spill the warmth of their tone into their words, as if using them could form a smile on their pitch features. "I would love to have a drink and talk the Night Court with you, when you have the time available to do so. There is much for me to learn, and perhaps to offer." If they can do good, then it's a pleasant thought in their mind. Cautiously, they watch as Morrighan disappears back into the castle doors after dismissing the meeting. It gives them plenty to think about, mulling it over as they turn on long legs. The giant is indeed a giant compared to everyone else, no matter how slender they are or how they hold their wings close in an effort to remain smaller.

Curiosity piques as someone approaches. While hesitant, the star-goer feels a stirring of delight at the smile, and the eyes that only seem warm as they look over the maps of the heavens contained on Cicatrix's wings. This is something they enjoy, a nice meeting and faces they could perhaps come to call friends in the future. It's only a hope, after all. "I would be honored. I know the maps of the stars are different depending on the lands and... I would adore to learn the ones I hope I can live under for a while." Caligo... that must be the deity of the court they've heard whispers about.

A warm voice flutters from between gilded teeth, their head dropping a little to seem not so large or imposing if they came off that way. "I am Cicatrix, and.. well. You see I adore the stars," they mention, opening a wing carefully, unfurling it to reveal the extent of the star maps decorating them. "-- Learning more about here would be a delight, and perhaps I can tell you of the stars I have seen in other places? If it interests you, of course."

ooc|| ahhh i am excited to thread with everyone honestly! getting cica more involved would make me so happy.
@Morrighan
@Azrael

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »